Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Outside a local garage, a very clean looking (seemed restored) a yellow Pacer. Wagon version. That really changed the overall styling, squaring off the back. You never see one of those now.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    The local newspaper has a feature today on the 45th anniversary of the Groundhog Day storm of 1976, which was really an unnamed and un-forecasted hurricane, with winds of over 100mph. It devastated many of the small fishing communities and their fishing fleets, wharves and packing plants.

This pic of a half-destroyed Shell station also shows several vehicles that would be collectibles today:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Those are all collectible now. Least desirable is probably the Mustang actually.

I’d live the Z or 510.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I think 90% of Datsuns ended up on slotted mags.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    uplanderguy is going to want this. ;)
    https://youtu.be/ItPjqQyZimM
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    edited February 2021

uplanderguy is going to want this. ;)

But, did Studebakers ever have FM radios? I feel like there's a lack of authenticity (and compatibility) here.... :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I bet after about 1961-62, FM radio was optional (yes I know you are joking :) )
    xwesx said:

But, did Studebakers ever have FM radios? I feel like there's a lack of authenticity (and compatibility) here.... :)

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    fintail said:

I bet after about 1961-62, FM radio was optional (yes I know you are joking :) )

xwesx said:

But are CDs and earbuds period correct? :)
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,055
    Factory AM-FM was available in Studebakers from '63 and later. Here's one in a '63 or '64 Lark-type:

I saw someone just the other day say they're worth a grand by themselves.

I had a cheapo "Studebaker" retro AM/FM radio I used to take with me in my '63 Studebaker. The antenna broke quickly, LOL.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Here's a period correct CD B)

Not surprised the radio is worth something, the old Becker units commonly installed as accessories in old MBs and other Euro cars are usually worth hundreds, too.
    omarman said:

But are CDs and earbuds period correct? :)

Ms. Martino over at Vintage L.A. just posted this pic of the Dot Records mothership the other day:

The Dot Records pic reminds me....the building next door....there's a word you sure don't hear anymore...."gaiety".
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    fintail said:

xwesx said:

My '69 C20 has a Motorola AM radio as the stock unit. I realize that, as a pickup, it probably stuck with the basics back in those days, but it seems like AM radios were pretty standard through the 60s.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

RE.: That '68 Wildcat...I really liked those Buicks inside and out EXCEPT for that damn thing at the bottom of the front fender!

I could learn to live with that if it resulted in this kind of reaction. One of the best factory promo photos ever IMO:

I think AM was probably in 90% of new cars that had a radio. I know it was optional in 60s American cars, but I've seen very few with it.

Radios were dealer or customer installed in MBs until around 1970 - and the Becker units were expensive. The one in my car was bought used, but is correct for the year of the car. It cost something like $135 in 1970 (I have the receipt) , for a used radio!
    xwesx said:

My '69 C20 has a Motorola AM radio as the stock unit. I realize that, as a pickup, it probably stuck with the basics back in those days, but it seems like AM radios were pretty standard through the 60s.

Man, that's nuts. I have a hard time considering radios for that price today! :D
    I remember spending maybe $100-150 or so on a new radio/cassette for the Tempo when the junkyard unit croaked around 1994-95 (I should have done that to begin with). That wasn't the cheapest by far.

I sent the fintail's radio back to Becker around 2010 to have it refurbished - I think it was around $250. Money well spent, still works perfect.
    edited February 2021
    ab, I hear you on that '68 Wildcat pic. I feel similarly about this factory pic, my favorite model and model year Studebaker, period:

Taken summer '63 out at the 800-acre Studebaker Proving Ground on U.S. Route 2, about 15 miles west of South Bend. Facility and original buildings are still there, utilized by Navistar last I've heard.

A good friend of mine and his cousin snuck into the Proving Ground once, spring '62 I'm thinking it was. They had climbed a tree and were enjoying watching the not-yet-introduced Avanti going around the three-mile oval. They saw the car go by, then the backup lights come on. The driver saw their legs hanging from the tree. Driver said "Get in boys" and drove them to the gate. They said that guy was probably so glad to unload them as they were peppering him with questions. Today, they'd have probably been booked.
    Watched a couple old TPiRs last night, the original version with Bill Cullen. Much different format than I am used to, and the prizes were fancier too - both episodes had pieces of jewelry that were 5-7K apiece, long vacation packages, high end housewares, etc.

First episode I watched had no airdate, but from within a year or two of 1960. The car, a Rover P5 3-litre of all things. MSRP was just over $5100, in a way these were like mini Rolls-Royces, and they made a point to mention the fine leather, wood, carpet, etc:

Next episode was from January 1958. First car was a surprise - a woman won a curved dash Olds replicar, and they threw in a new Olds at the end of the game, she was ecstatic:

And a car in the showcase, a 58 Caddy convertible - Eldo Biarritz no less, seriously rare now:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    There is at least 1 Biarritz convertible around Dayton as of a few years ago--white. Appeared original driven by a youngish guy (30's, 40's). Haven't seen it out lately.

And I believe one showed up at a Buick dealership GM only cruise in sponsored by Buick Club of Cincinnati in the 4 or 5 years they have run that show. That show somewhere in @graphicguy's region near Cincy.

I have no way of describing that rear end with the cheese slicer fins. It was unique for its time period. I remember the original advertisements.

Enjoying the PiR photos.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I love Eldorado convertibles of the sixties, but I could never get used to that rounded rear end of the one above. I know they bring big money.
    Speaking of TPIR--when I did production order research on '63's at the old Newman and Altman parts place in South Bend--before the museum got the production orders--I remember seeing one with "TAG The Price Is Right" on the last line of the form. It was a '63 Lark of some sort.
    I wonder if Studebaker-Packard took this as inspiration for their '58 models, or vice-versa?

edited February 2021
    Yeah, bad idea, but why do I seem to remember Dodge and Mercury doing a headlight-pod-for-two thing in the old fenders as well? I'm foggy on this though. I seem to remember chrome in the pods.

I really didn't mind that on the '58 Studes as much as I loathed the Packard's fin-on-a-fin in the back.

My own two cents is when Stude started outsourcing most of its styling to Brooks Stevens in the early sixties, styling in and out improved. Being an industrial designer instead of a "stylist" to my eyes resulted in simple shapes and basic styling that tended to get less-dated-looking over the years. I think even Rambler got "googie" in its instrument panel designs in the sixties.

I'd say with the pods above, you'd get a '58 Ford look a lot more than a '58 Chevy look when added to a '57, LOL!
    I've seen that style of Eldo with the rear fins removed, giving a weird tapered rear end. Not the best look IMO.

Those 4 light pods don't look right.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Here's a video of a '57 Ford with the 4 headlights:
    https://youtu.be/tPC_HHprytM
    Cool find! That looks better than I thought it would.

Looks better than the frogeyes of the 57, perhaps.

Seeing how the 57 and 58 are the same body, I see 58 Edsel in that look, too
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I remember seeing an advertisement for a conversion kit in the back of an old Popular Mechanics, when I was a kid. They offered it for '57 Fords and '57 Chevies, and the ad said something like "Make last year's model look just like the new '58's!"

And, wow...looks like everything made it to the internet, nowadays!

I don't know if it's the same setup that's on that '57 Ford in the old film clip or not, but it definitely looks similar. It actually looks better than I imagined that it would. I have a feeling that the '57 Chevy conversion was hideous, though.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I also remember hearing about a prototype of a '57 Bonneville that was built, with quad headlights. Here's an article on that one: http://pontiacserver.freeservers.com/hpp575bon1.html

I think this one came off really sharp looking.
    edited February 2021
    Now here's an Eldorado Biarritz that does something for me--really, the only '64 Cadillac that does. I like the one-year-only opened-up rear wheel openings sans skirts, and the interior is really nice too.

I've seen them before in a bit of a dull maroon, not unlike Honduras Maroon on a '62 Corvette or Avanti Red on an Avanti, and I like that color on these Eldos, although I'd take the color of this one.

DeVilles were seen regularly in my hometown, but Fleetwoods and (full-size) Eldorados of the sixties almost never were.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-BIARRITZ-CONVERTIBLE-229975
  • lemko1968lemko1968 Member Posts: 111
    andre1969 said:

Chrysler offered a run-flat type of tire called "Captive Air" back around 1957-59. I'm not sure, but I think it was mostly seen on 3-seat DeSoto and Chrysler wagons, and gave them an excuse to do away with the spare tire. 3-seat Dodge and Plymouth wagons from that era tended to have a spare that was stored upright, in the passenger side rear quarter panel, and you accessed it from the outside. Here's a '59 Plymouth, with the access panel to the spare tire removed...

I think "Captive Air" might have been standard on the DeSotos and Chryslers. At least, I've never seen a DeSoto/Chrysler wagon with that access panel.

I remember seeing a picture from 1965 of a 1959 Plymouth wagon missing the spare tire panel. Before I knew about that panel, I was thinking “That Plymouth sure rusted out badly in the last six years! The right rear fender behind the wheel is almost gone!”

TPiR, January 1981. 3 cars this time - we start off with a nice RX-7. MSRP a little over $10K (around that time, the people across the street had a white RX-7, I loved it):

Basic looking 4 cyl Mustang, no MSRP stated as the contestant didn't get close to winning it:

And in the showcase, an @uplanderguy favorite, a Monte Carlo Landau. Appeared fairly loaded - options mentioned were V8, power everything, cruise, etc:

edited February 2021
    Jan. 17, 1981 is when I took delivery of my new '81 Monte Carlo, but it wasn't a Landau. :) Mine was a V8 but did not have A/C. Did have positraction, two-tone paint, intermittent wipers, AM-FM, rear seat speaker, tilt wheel, whitewalls, tinted glass, factory mats, LH remote-control mirror, and body side moldings. Window sticker including destination, $8,192.00.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Seems most of the RX-7 I remember looking at around then were in the $15K range. But, maybe that was more towards the end of the 1st generation run... and the GSL-SE?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    kyfdx said:

Seems most of the RX-7 I remember looking at around then were in the $15K range. But, maybe that was more towards the end of the 1st generation run... and the GSL-SE?

My sister bought a used RX-7 - I think it was an '84 model year - in 1986. Thinking the transaction price was around $10K or so.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

BTW, of that gen Mustang, the notchback coupe was always my favorite bodystyle. Just says 'sleeper'.
    I checked the video, no trim level of the RX-7 is mentioned. Options were AC, "removable top", aluminum wheels, CA emissions. Price: $10454. With inflation of that era and maybe forex issues, I could see the price growing by 10% per year.
    edited February 2021
    Monte options per Johnny: V8, automatic, power everything, AM/FM, cruise, tinted glass, AC, splint bench seat, body side moldings, whitewalls, locking wheel covers, intermittent wipers.

Mustang options were automatic, floor mats. Specifically mentioned the 4cyl, so maybe a literal sleeper B)

Jan. 17, 1981 is when I took delivery of my new '81 Monte Carlo, but it wasn't a Landau. :) Mine was a V8 but did not have A/C. Did have positraction, two-tone paint, intermittent wipers, AM-FM, rear seat speaker, tilt wheel, whitewalls, tined glass, factory mats, LH remote-control mirror. Window sticker including destination, $8,192.00.

Now here's an Eldorado Biarritz that does something for me--really, the only '64 Cadillac that does. I like the one-year-only opened-up rear wheel openings sans skirts, and the interior is really nice too.

I've seen them before in a bit of a dull maroon, not unlike Honduras Maroon on a '62 Corvette or Avanti Red on an Avanti, and I like that color on these Eldos, although I'd take the color of this one.

DeVilles were seen regularly in my hometown, but Fleetwoods and (full-size) Eldorados of the sixties almost never were.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-BIARRITZ-CONVERTIBLE-229975

I like the paint color on that '64 very much. Too bad it wasn't ordered with a white interior though. Would work very well with that paint.

BTW, of that gen Mustang, the notchback coupe was always my favorite bodystyle. Just says 'sleeper'.

The LX 5.0 was. Not so much the 4 banger.

That reminds me of this skirtless old beauty I spotted in a parking lot years ago:

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    stickguy said:

If I was to get a Fox, I would love a 5.0 LX notch.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

If I was to get a Fox, I would love a 5.0 LX notch.
    CHP had a bunch of them as pursuit vehicles, back in the day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

To me, back in the day, nothing worse than a car built with skirts, where they're missing, LOL.
    Wait, which days are we "back into" right now? :D
    @xwesx,
    The good old days, when engine power started coming back. B)
    edited February 2021
    WSP had them as well, I remember these:

Also had them before the facelift:

Michaell said:

CHP had a bunch of them as pursuit vehicles, back in the day.

Everything you ever want to know about Mustang SSP's.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_SSP

Connecticut had Buick GN's.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited February 2021
    stickguy said:

I was looking at a LX 5.0 droptop back in 1992 when I thought I might have opposition in the 1993 election- a domestic vehicle and a parade car wouldn't hurt.. A friend of my father had a demo 1992 with an automatic. It was a dog. I couldn't find a 5.0 convertible with a manual so I gave up and ended up with an E24 M6.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive