Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    CL - I got my Pilot at John Eagle Honda located at 12602 FM 1960 West (basically at Hwy 290 and 1960). My salesperson was James Hill (tell him Stephen Weaver sent you) and was truly a pleasure to work with. Like I've said before, I tend to test drive quite a number of vehicles and then make an informed decision. He took over an hour each on 2 different test drives to show us all the features of the vehicle. I paid MSRP with no BS Dealer fees and no unwanted DIOs. A few things to note: I got the extended warranty and they are a little higher than what I have seen at other places. If you do opt for the warranty, check around to other Honda sites online, as I belive (someone correct me if I am wrong), you can buy it from any Honda dealer and it will be honored at all dealers nationwide. Additionally, they were not too willing to negotiate on options (based on pricing at Honda.com). However, the only option I added was the cargo mat, so it was not a major deal for me. Like I said earlier, the massive selection on vehicles in Houston makes it much simpler to shop for a new or used vehicle. Having purchased 4 vehicles in the last three years (with three of them considered "marketable" vehicles, I guess due to the competition, I did not experience any of the price fluctuations that I have seen from others on this board. I've enjoyed the Pilot in the two weeks that I've had it - for us it was a great alternative to the "everybody and his brother's got one" Ford Explorer or the much smaller Escape or Tribute. Good luck with your purchase and let me know if you have any questions.

Benz
  • benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    I equate buying an extended warranty to a personal choice. It is basically like any other type of insurance - for example, some people maintain over a million dollars of life insurance while others maintain little or none. I bought the 7/100 warranty with my Pilot so that I will not have any unforseen maintenance costs as I plan to keep the vehicle for quite some time. I also purchased it on the 2 Mercedes that I own as these repairs can get VERY expensive (especially when dealing with hydraulic systems). However, on the prior vehicles that I have purchased (including Volvo, Infiniti and Toyota), I never purchased the warranty. My neighbor routinely buys Hondas and Toyotas and has never purchased an extended warranty either. If you feel better about it, my recommendation is to do it. However, I would recommend you purchase the longest warranty (mileage and years that fit your needs) as you get the most bang for the buck. Plus, in my experience, problems with Japanese vehicles did not occur until the 60 to 70 thousand mark. Also, from most places I've seen, you can purchase the warranty up to 24 months or 24,000 miles, so you don't have to do it when you purchase the vehicle. Good luck with your purchase.

Benz
  • millsk1millsk1 Member Posts: 24
    Actually, the vehicle doesn't get a VIN until after the production. Let's say we have an Odyssey(I am more familiar) with a build date of 7/3-7/6. We will usually get the VIN on 7/6 or so. That puts the vehicle at the dealership on or about 7/7. With Pilots, it is the same except for the time. It is more like two weeks. Dealers do not know the VIN until it is built. If they gave you one, it is wrong. It goes from allocated to built to pre-assigned to assigned to shipped to inventory. I have had many occassions where a vehicle is a little late. There is absolutely nothing the dealer can do.
  • millsk1millsk1 Member Posts: 24
    If you buy a vehicle that you like for a price you can live with, you got a good deal. I was buying a car once and called my dad to ask his advice. He asked me two things: Do you like it? Can you afford it? If the answer to both is yes, then buy it.
  • hislanderhislander Member Posts: 67
    I would have ask more questions like: can you buy it cheaper elsewhere in the area? How much people in the area pay? That's why this board is so valuable to general public. My point is I would pay at price every one else in the same area does; no more, no less.
  • bpacurabpacura Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at the Pilot for sometime (internet, dealership)and was wondering what kind of price others are paying in NJ. I'm in the Toms River and currently looking shopping for the Pilot at Bob Ciasulli Honda.

They had a EX that they installed a DVD in for 2300, when you can get a EX-L DVD for 32,020 and EX-L without DVD for 30,520 (1500 dollar difference for installment). Totally outrageous.

Anyone have a EX-L with DVD? Any issues?
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    I ordered my Silver EX-L @ David Michael Motor Car in Freehold, NJ. I will pick it up in August. I paid MSRP of $30,980.00 + NJ State Taxes $1858.80 + $97.00 for new plates and
    + 91.50 for doc fees. Total $33,027.50. I ordered it over the phone. The salesman is John Frisch @ 732-462-5300. Good Luck!
  • kai_mingkai_ming Member Posts: 33
    In early June, Madison Honda (near Morristown)
    charged MSRP plus ~$300 other fees (if it
    is important to you, I will try to remember what
    are the fees for); Joyce Honda (Denville)
    charged MSRP if you oder it instead of
    buying what they have in the lot (MSRP+$2K)
    (I will find out who is the sale person if
    you are interested. He is pleasant to deal with.).
  • crashslammercrashslammer Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone-

I just want to say right off that I think that these message boards are a fantastic way of sharing information and experiences of (to my mind) the distasteful chore of purchasing a new vehicle. So the reason I'm here, of course, is that I'm seriously considering getting a Pilot(!) But before I start investing the time and legwork, I was wondering if anyone in my area- San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco-Walnut Creek-Oakland-Richmond-San Mateo-Fremont-San Jose) would care to share their Pilot-shopping experiences?

Admittedly, I'm appalled at paying MSRP (I've gotten great deals on the previous Hondas I've bought: all only hundreds over factory invoice. But then they were a Civic and two Accords.) But I realize that the Pilot is in red-hot demand right now and if I want to buy one soon I'll have to ante up. I can't wait too long; I need a vehicle soon because my car- a 1987 Honda Accord (great car- never had a major problem) has been totaled in an accident recently. (Bummer!)

Anyway, I can't stomach the thought of paying over MSRP, and I'm afraid that that would be the norm here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anybody around here knows differently? I hate to say this, but around my neck of the woods, I've only seen one Pilot on the streets.
  • samtoydealsamtoydeal Member Posts: 4
    You will find most dealers want $1000 over M.S.R.P. in the bay area.
  • will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    If you are only willing to pay MSRP. Check out Merced Honda ( about 2 hrs from the Bay Area). Check out there address at Honda.com.

The will charge for the wheels locks. I think it is $89 over.
  • mkapad1mkapad1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I went to the Schaumburg Honda Dealership on Sat. What I found out is that you guys are a bunch of crooks and nothing else. Just greedy people. This is what happened:
    I had call the dealership on Fri. inquiring about the Honda Pilot. I spoke with Ted Saras. He told me that they had some Pilot's coming end of this month and if I wanted one I would have to go down there and pay a deposit of $2000. Other dealers are charging a deposit of $500. I asked him that I wanted a EXL without any Dealer installed options. He told me that its not a problem and I can get it whichever way I wanted.
    I went there Sat. morning to do the paper work. When I went over there to my surprise he pulled put a Honda Pilot Menu and told me that the way they were selling the new Pilot's was that I have to buy one option from the List 1 (which had three different Rust proofing pacakages) and two options from List 2(which had a bunco other options like running boards, defelectors, neon lamps etc.).
    This meant that I had to pay atleast $1200 in DIO if I wanted the car. I aksed him that why did he not tell me about this when I had asked him on Friday. He just totally ingnored that questions.
    These guys are involved in a highly unethical bussiness practices. Please pass this message on other message boards. They are nothing but a bunnch of crooks.
  • akmattakmatt Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Can anyone help me regarding buying a Pilot in Washington state or nearby state?
    I am hoping to buy a Pilot LX model (not EX-L), but I couldn't find it at any nearby dealers. I wonder whether the LX model is not out yet for the rest of the country or just in WA state? Two dealers tell me that the price for a LX model will be close to $30K, which is $3K over MSRP. Unbelievable!!
    I had also checked the EX model with these dealers at Eastside WA and they're priced at MSRP + $2K to $3K also. Do anyone know a dealer who will sell at MSRP for a EX or LX model in WA?
    Thanks!
  • carman34carman34 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Pilot from Serramonte Honda for MSRP. They went from $5K over MSRP to MSRP. Depending on their inventory and what model you want, you may want to try your luck with a salesman named Derrick there.

You will probably need to INSIST on MSRP pricing as a requirement for even going there.

BTW - you can forget about MSRP at Capitol Honda, Redwood City Honda, Mike Harvey Honda; all have ridiculous markups.

Good Luck.
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    Hello,
    If you really like a Pilot, just go out to find one and test drive it. After test driving it offer them msrp. You see, they don't want to waste the time that they have already spended on you and putting extra mileage on their vehicles. So they will do their best to sell you their car even at a lower price. If they say no to your initial offer, as expected, just say "thank you for your time, I will look else where". Let them know you will not buy other than at msrp. Now just walk out the door. Be sure to be firm and really walk out the door unless they will sell it to you at the price you want. What do you have to loose? Maybe 45min of your time. Just be sure to limit yourself time to less than 1hr during negotiation since they like to play the "I'll let you sit and wait game".

Dealers are funny on the markups they have on their cars. They even have markups on hi supply/lo demand vehicles like Civics, Accords, Sentras, Hyundais. That's just their way of doing business. So if you are stupid, you will be negotiating from markups for lo demand cars. On the other hand, for cars like Odyssey or Pilot or S2000, offering them msrp is the best and most time saving things to do after your testdrive. Be sure ot not fall into the trap by spending 7hrs at the dealership. Believe me, they will wear you out like running a marathon. So avoid that!

Also, tell them you don't want any warranty or options.

Take care and good luck!

• crashslammercrashslammer Member Posts: 8
    Thanks samtoydeal, will4271, carman34, and especially miata007- thanks for the great info and advice. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just go out there and rassle me a Pilot!
  • bykffywbykffyw Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a Honda Pilot and want to know what prices and experiences you all have had in the Atlanta area. Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.
  • winnerdealwinnerdeal Member Posts: 2
    In Most cases, you cannot find MSRP dealers, no matter what they say - the few decent ones tell you they do not offer, and the rest say anything to get you in, and then screw you.

But I did find one not too far away. I got mine 10 days ago at MSRP with no add-on. The dealer experience was great. If you need information, drop me a line
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Bound to come down to MSRP given some time. SoCal has a number of dealers at sticker already. Shoppers who use the internet can find MSRP if they just try.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Gee $1995 over MSRP.
    Well, now isn't that SPECIAL!

What a WINNER! I'm sure that not a single saleperson EVER sells to a relative. No "friends of the owener". None of the contractors who've done projects at the dealership.

I've got your FIRM PRICE right here PAL!

You'll know me and MY GANG. We'll be the folks who call on the phone. Spend on hour or so trying to decide on the myriad of DIO we don't want, then get out our checkbook and LEAVE when your FIRM PRICE doesn't budge.

As the economy continues to TANK and HONDA contiunes to ADD MORE PRODUCTION CAPACITY I'm real sure your FIRM PRICE is the smart way to run your dealership INTO THE GRAVE!
  • stephenlenastephenlena Member Posts: 2
    I read a note earlier about Hardin Honda in Orange County, CA. The person was not very happy with the service there. I, on the other hand had a pretty good experience. I worked with Renaldo and Mario to get a Pilot EX for 29152+ tax & license = 31700 out the door. It took a little time but I eventually got the deal. I initially wanted a Black EX, but they didn't have any in stock and couldn't get one from other dealers. Eventually, I got the silver EX with no other add on's(I figured it was easier to keep clean than the black). Renaldo was a great no pressure salesman and just really did his best to take care of me. I had tried four other dealers in the area including Weir Canyon, Buena Park, Cerritos, and Huntington Beach. None of them could get the price as low as Hardin. I recommend Hardin, as long as you have the right salesman. Try Renaldo and Mario!!! Today is Wednesday, July 17 at 10:30. I just came back from the dealership an hour ago. My car should be in within two weeks.
  • bumblejbumblej Member Posts: 10
    Stephenlena, I was the person not happy with Hardin Honda and post a message earlier. I believe people in Hardin Honda will read this forum also or someone will tell them what other customer said about them. You are my hero if they really offer you $118 below MSRP (does not add destination charge $460 to it yet). I hope they could keep their promise. Eager to hear your good news in 2 weeks. Good luck !!
  • renoelrenoel Member Posts: 1
    We are the happy owners of a new, silver Pilot EX-L with the DVD system. I worked with my local dealer extensively (Marin) but they would not even consider selling their Pilots for MSRP (even if they sat on the lot for a few days.)

I printed out a list of Honda dealers within 100 miles on Yahoo Yellow pages and began calling. I heard everything from, "We have a six month waiting list," to "We only sell to in-county residents," to "$1000 over, $1500 over, $2000 over, $5000(!)over, so much in dealer-installed options over, etc. etc. I also heard, "We don't believe in charging a premium over MSRP but we don't have a car at the moment (Sacramento Honda), and, "We have a Pilot EX-L with DVD for MSRP, it's silver, do you want it?"

That was at Steve Hopkins in Fairfield, CA (exactly 45 minutes from Marin County.) I dealt with Dennis (salesman) and Wayne (sales manager.) They could not have been nicer. They were completely straight-forward. Wayne (on the phone) went out and checked the car and reported back that they had wheel locks and splash guards installed (and that was all.) At my request they added cross bars, got the car detailed, and had it ready for me two hours later. Not only that, I discovered their prices for many Dealer Installed Options was 30 to 50% LESS than I would pay in Marin.

There ARE cars out there. There ARE a few dealers who will still sell them at MSRP. I was REALLY happy with Hopkins Honda in Fairfield. And Yahoo Yellow pages is a great resource. It took me awhile to figure out how to get a listing of all the local dealers so I could start calling.

GOOD LUCK!
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    taking the time to research the exact deal you were looking for! My wife and I like the pilot very much, but we are waiting for the hype to die down. I purchased an Acura tl for 1600 off MSRP last August. When first introduced, they had waiting lists, and no discounts. In due time, the same will happen to the Pilot.

ps- when looking for dealers in the future, just go to the Honda website and check "dealer locator". You can put in your zip code, and it will lists the dealers starting with the ones closest to you zip.
  • sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    winnerdeal-
    I have left my 500$ deposit with a promise of MSRP at Wesloh in San Juan Cap., but it will be interesting when the vehicle comes in, what happens. I am prepared to walk if they start playing games.
    So, a backup dealer would be great, where did you go and who was your sales rep?
    Thanks.
  • lxusruleslxusrules Member Posts: 33
    I feel that the price is definitely coming down towards MSRP in SoCal. The hype is dying down. I got mine at Gardena Honda for MSRP w/ no DIO.

If you call dealers further inland, Victorville, Hemet, Palm Springs, you get much reasonable sales persons. YOu can definitely get MSRP is you are patient and do your homework.
    lxusrules-
    Who was your salesperson at Gardena Honda? Seems that is a key ingredient to this.
    Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you are interested in the names of particular salepeople, perhaps it would be best to exchange that information privately through e-mail.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    SJWSMW;

You are correct that the key to good deal is the salesperson. I found this out at other dealers as well... I am sure this person will give you the MSRP deal he gave me.
    As host suggests, post your email address and I will email his name to you.
    Dan from SoCal
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can mark your email "public" in your profile and that will hide it a little bit from any spammers cruising here looking to harvest email addresses.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cericksocerickso Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my Evergreen Pearl EX-L RES today and wanted to share my experience. I live in Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati, OH) and couldn't find any locally. The soonest anyone was guessing they would have an EX-L RES was mid-September. I widened my search via phone and found that Sam Swope in Louisville, KY (roughly 1.75 hours away) had four Pilots (2 RES) in stock! The one that I wanted (green) did have two options installed. One I wanted (side step) and the other I didn't (backup sensors). The salesman said "the holes are already in the bumper, so I can't take them out, but I just won't charge you for them." I thought this was a nice gesture considering he didn't have to budge on this thing at all. So basically I got the EX-L RES at MSRP, paid for the side steps (no install fee) and got the backup sensors for free. As I said, I wasn't after the sensors, but I have to admit that they are kinda cool and I'll get my use out of them. I would recommend this dealer/sales person. His name is Richard Oatley.

So my deal looked like this:

EX-R RES 32,480
    Side steps 499
    Backup sensors FREE
    +Tax, Title, (you know the routine)
  • prjacoprjaco Member Posts: 7
    The local Honda dealer has had the same Pilot EX-L on the lot for about 3 weeks. I took it for a test drive. They added 3 options--cross bars, running boards and "protection package". Plus they had a $1200 dealer mark up (just because)! Saleswoman said the mark up gave her some room to negotiate.
    If I ordered one, the saleswoman said I would have to add a few options. I said thanks for the test drive. See you in a few months when demand may be a little lower. I'm in no hurry to play that kind of game.
    Try Gardena Honda, if you are lucky to get the same salesperson I got, you can get it at MSRP.
    Same thing at Sierra Honda.
    You can get better deals if you call and drive out East to Hemet or Victorville and etc.
    I do a lot of shopping in SoCal. MSRP is the best you can expect at this time.
  • newbie10newbie10 Member Posts: 4
    Just ordered an EX-L (Sage Brush Pearl) at Madison Honda in Madison, NJ. I simply ordered what I wanted, and the saleperson wrote out the order at MSRP. Not once did the subject of paying a premium come up. Also was not forced into buying DIO's I did not need. I was prepared to encounter much more static after reading some of the bad experiences some on this board have had. (Now I wonder if I could have gotten below MSRP!)
  • rlbjr2rlbjr2 Member Posts: 91
    I also have an EX-L in SageBrush on order from Madison Honda. I placed my order back in
    May for MSRP with no DIO's. Back then their policy was never to charge above MSRP but
    now they are adding a $2,000 market adjustment. Did you have to negotiate for MSRP? From
    what I've read on other forums the SageBrush will begin production in early to mid August for
    delivery to dealers in early to mid September.
  • slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    if they don't give you a vin number you can be waiting for ever.
  • newbie10newbie10 Member Posts: 4
    rlbjr2,

I guess when I see another SageBrush Pilot on Main Street in the fall I know it will be you!

No, I did not have to negotiate to get MSRP. About 2-3 weeks ago, I went into Madison Honda to take my first in-person look at the Pilot. At that time, they were charging the $2k premium. After surfing the price discussions in this town hall for the last couple of weeks and noting some of the successes of the members, I was determined to buy the Pilot close to MSRP. So I was surprised yesterday when I did not even have to negotiate to get MSRP. (I was holding my breath as the salesperson wrote out the order.) Maybe Madison Honda changed their policy. I personally think it is ridiculous to have the gall to charge a mandatory premium in these economic times.
  • vgohvgoh Member Posts: 1
    Anybody had any luck getting one at MSRP in the Bay Area vicinity?
    Nope.
  • maj1maj1 Member Posts: 37
    After reading all the posts, I went to my local Honda dealer where my families and I had bought 6 cars in the passed. My usual sales person quoted me MSRP MINUS $500.00 as customer loyalty discount. After 30 Minutes haggling he knocked another $100.00 bucks off. The price for my new Pilot EX-L is 30,980-600+ tax and plate. No extra dealer options added (I don’t want them anyway). The sales person told me he would knock $500.00 off the MSRP for all my referral. If anyone need more info on this deal you can e-mail me in private. Good luck shopping.
    So how are we supposed to email you without an address in your profile?
    What state/city are you in?
  • zitlowzitlow Member Posts: 10
    Before buying a 2003 Honda EX, I contacted virtually every dealer north of Milwaukee to the Northern Peninsula of Michigan. All of them--except one dealer--quoted prices than ranged from $500 to $4000 above MSRP; most of them had a long list of compulsory dealer options like $500 for ScotchGuard spray of interior, $400-to $600 for "dealer rustproofing", "dealer preparation fee" of to 500, "additional dealer markup of up to several thousand dollars, etc.
    The only place I was able to purchase a new Pilot at a price close to MSRP was the dealer in Wausau, Wisconsin. I promptly bought the sole new Pilot they had in-stock, a silver SE. Never had a more pleasant buying experience nor such a comfortable riding SUV. Honda quality is evident in every aspect of vehicle.
  • maj1maj1 Member Posts: 37
    Well, sorry guys. I though my e-mail address is in my profile. I live in Michigan; I believe the Motor City reputation has some influence on the price. My address is jasonma1@yahoo.com.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your email address is in your profile (it's a requirement of membership in the Town Hall). If you want others to have access to it, you should edit your profile and change the setting for your email address. Just click on "My Profile" in the Account Center listing at the top left of this screen.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    You can get MSRP on the outskirts of the Bay Area at least. Merced Honda and Mendo Lake Honda (Ukiah) both sell all their pilots at MSRP. About 2 hr drive from the Bay Area, but you can do all the dealing over the phone, email so you just have to go out their to pick it up (although may be a waiting list now).

You can might be able to use them as a bargaining tool on some of the other dealerships that are a little closer.
  • tneutneu Member Posts: 2
    Can you buy a car in a state that has no sales tax (like Oregon) and bring it back to a state that has a high sales tax (like California) to avoid paying the tax?
  • dbehrens1dbehrens1 Member Posts: 1
    Tneu,

I have relatives in Oregon (Portland) and have considered doing the same thing on our planned Pilot purchase this fall. Here is a link that I found helpful.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/osreg.htm#BM2561

Good luck
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    When you register the vehicle in California, you will get hit with the CA sales tax. They're not going to let tax revenue slip out of their hands that easily.