Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I don't know if it would be a 2004. BMW seems to make changes twice a year for some cars(October and March/April). SMG is offered on the 325i and 330i in Europe. In Germany, the SMG is cheaper than the Steptronic. The SMG in the 3er is not the same as the version in the M cars. The M cars have SMG II, which is closer to what the F1 cars have. So, if the 3er do get SMG in the US next year. I would test drive with the SMG car first. I have read about the SMG (or SSG) in European mags for the 3er. It is not as fast as SMG II and a little rougher.
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    I have been looking for dealers that will give me a deal of $1,000-$1500 over wholesale for a 2003 bmw via european delivery in the new york/new jersey area. Looked through past threads but haven't found anyone who is still around. Can anyone provide me with a dealer who can provide me with this deal? Thanks
  • silverodysilverody Member Posts: 14
    we need to start using terms like 4-series and 425ci and 430ci vice 325ci and 330ci for the 2004s.

also any chance BMW will add the Valvetronic system with the facelifted coupes.
  • nirvanaornirvanaor Member Posts: 13
    You r right.They are giving a face lift to 330 in april but 2004 wont be available till Oct 2003.And it seeems like there is no use of waiting for the SMG right seivwrig?

bimmer12 :U can get that deal in Florida .Email me if u want to !

My car is ready for pickup in feb so I am just confused if I should wait for SMG or not

Any suggestions!

• loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    Bimmerman12; send me an email. I can set you up with dealer in NY state that I am currently doing my ED purchase. Best deal I found within 7 hour drive of New York area.
    This might be one case that I am wrong. I guess BMW will release 2004 in March 2003. The facelifted coupe I believe will be a 2004. In terms of ED, that means you would have to do a April delivery. The cars are normally made a month before pickup and then sit until pickup. SMG??? To me, if you cannot get SMG II in a 3er, then it would not be worth get a less smoother version with fewer bells and whistles.
  • bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    Bimmer12, if you prefer North New Jersey area, I know for sure a dealer that will give you about $1200 to $1300 above invoice on ED.
    Just let me know if your interested (email).
    Thanks guys- I will send you emails
  • stichiestichie Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any luck with dealers in the NY/NJ/CT area that were willing to accept $1,200 - $1,500 over euro invoice price for a 325 Ci ? If so, can you please provide the dealership and salesman/woman's name. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    What is the actual lowest over invoice you paid on a non M car purchase? Either US delivery or Euro delivery. Which type, model, salesperson, dealer?
  • bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    Please refer to post #213 and #215
  • loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    Fot those interested in dealers that you can negotiate fair deal with ED purchase send me an email. I updated my profile to make email address now public info
  • sddennehysddennehy Member Posts: 13
    Just purchased '03 330ci from Richmond BMW (Virginia) and got it for ED invoice plus $1500 but got stuck with about $500 worth of add ons, (a shop fee and dealer processing fee). I felt it was a fair deal. Got the coupe with sport, premium, xenons, cold weather, navigation, manual, metallic paint, destination and handling, 3% state sales tax, title, tags, etc for 40,781.00. Plan to pick up 02/29 and drop off in Zurich the 10th of March. BTW, just saw the news about the performance package due out in April for the 330i only. Sounds nice, will be faster than the coupe, sportier too. Nice 6 speed short throw transmission, sound via tuned exhaust, computer upgrades, etc. Info on the BMWUSA website under "news".
    Need help. Apparently, the Europe DVD disk will not be ready for my trip 2/28/03 - 3/10/03 so I'm looking to rent/borrow/buy the Germany, France and Switzerland CD's, which I'm told will work in the Navigation unit. Thanks for your help.
    If you can get one disk of Europe, it will give the road information. I have a 2002_1 GB disk but it is on loan to someone doing ED. You can also download some of the disk if you use Direct Connect software. If you need information, email me from my profile.
  • rjg96rjg96 Member Posts: 65
    Try Barbara Monick at Continental BMW in Darien, CT.
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    You can get a loaner disk for Germany (with major roads in nearby countries) from the ED delivery center. I am taking delivery this Friday, so I called earlier today and asked.

I was told that it's on the honor system. You can take it if you promise to mail it back to the delivery center, which is what I am going to do.

You can call directly if you want (they speak excellent English) direct from the U.S. 011-49-89-382-20687.
    What to do. I've got a 2003 330CI set for 3/28/03 ED pickup. BMW website has 2004's out in April, which means a 4 month production run for the 2003's. I like the new changes, the front spoiler, 6 speed tranny, hood, lights, etc. My dealer didn't even know any of this til I put him on the website. He is willing to let me slide to a April pickup of the 2004 at the same markup as before, but I've already paid for the car, plane tickets, arrangements made, etc. BMW still doesn't know what the new base price will be. ED has OK'd all this. I'm concerned about resale. The dealer agreed that all this doesn't make any sense. This is crazy.
  • magar65magar65 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Folks!

First off GREAT information on this board! Congrats to KarenS!

I am looking at a 2004 330i (6 speed) with SP, Xenon, Leather, new "Performance Package" and Heated Seats.

I've read all the posts and have looked at the Pricing Sheet on Eurobuyers.com, but have some questions:

1) Am I missing something? What is the cost to actually ship back to the states?

2) Has anyone had any experiences in Oregon with the ED program? If so, what Dealer profit were you able to negotiate?

3) Understanding that the Performance package pricing is not currently available, but what would the total price of my BMW be at the time of pick up? (Well, actually before I picked it up)

Thanks in advance!
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    If you Euro-deliver, the price you negotiate will be all-inclusive. About 30-days before delivery, you'll pay for the car in the states and it will include everything: car, insurance, shipping, duty, etc. You go to Germany, drive it for up to 30-days, then drop it off. You'll come home and the car will arrive 3-6 weeks later at your dealer just like a new car would.

Supposedly, you can negotiate $1000-$1500 over ED "invoice" - this is less than regular invoice and includes the discount for ED. However, a lot of dealers want full list, so it takes a bit of shopping and even people who have shopped aggressively have had difficulty hitting this target. You may want to go out of state since the number of dealers in OR is limited. I think the best way to do ED negotiating with several dealers is to fax them requests to make a bid and offer $1K over invoice.

I don't think the pricing of the PP has trickled down through the system yet. I'm betting it will be in high demand, so many dealers may not be willing to deal aggressively on it. You may have to pull full price.

Good luck,

- Mark
    Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.

I've considered going out of state. I received a bid for $38,200 for the car described above minus the new Performance Package (not necessary, but a 6 speed would be nice). When going the ED route, do you pay the wholesale price for the car and the options too? Then try and negotiate from the wholesale pricing structure?

Time is not an issue nor is traveling distance. You are right, there are only 5 or so BMW dealers or so in Oregon and I've only dealt with 1 in Portland. I will try faxing next week and see what happens. I was hoping to find a ED friendly dealer in Oregon. I'd like to take the plunge in early summer and have the car by fall.

Thanks again for the info and help!
    BMW's ED MSRP discount, I believe, only applies to base cars - the list prices of options are the same whether you get them US delivery or ED delivery. This makes the deal you are getting on ED a little better for strippers compared to fully-loaded cars.

www.bimmer.org has the ED invoice pricing for the 2003s - go to www.bimmer.org, select the 3-series forum and look for it on the right side of the screen.

The issue you're probably going to have is that you're neogtiating on a 2004 model and pricing of the 2004s hasn't been released yet. The dealer is probably unwilling to give you a firm price although they'll probably negotiate in principle for an amount over invoice (or below MSRP) and will take a refundable deposit.

If this were my deal, I'd wait a couple weeks when the dealers can talk hard prices. If you get into a big email/fax blitz right now, I suspect most dealers will just be wishy-washy about what they'll do. They'll talk hard numbers in a few weeks.

It's also possible that the PP will be in short supply and if it comes out of their allocation of PP cars, they'll be unwilling to do PP ED. They'll want these high-profit cars on their lot that they can sell for full boat.

- Mark
    Talk about fast response time!

Thanks again for the info. Sorry I keep belaboring the point. I guess I'm seeing dealers only willing to (according to their individual websites) deal from ED MSRP and NOT the wholesale price. Does this mean they don't deal from the wholesale price at all? If they don't can someone recommend a dealer in OR, WA, or CA that does deal off of Wholesale? I live in OR, but will travel to save the extra $$. No wholesale on options? Pity....

Thanks again Mark!
    Dealers like to keep up the facade that ED (and BMWs in general) are strictly MSRP. It is a little easier to do this with ED because since BMW is alreayd discounting the car 7-10%, they make you feel like a horse thief for going in and asking for more. So most dealers tow the line.

A few though, realize that an ED sale is really, really easy money - they don't floor the car, it generally doesn't come out of their allocation, and they generally don't pay the typical advertising fees and salesman commissions. So they can make $1-$1.5K just for doing the paperwork.

The issue is finding the dealers that will do it and I can't help you there as I haven't gone through the process even though I'm in WA. BMW has some good dealer search tools. I'd compose a fax or an email addressd to the "Internet Sales Manager" and specifying the exact car you want, listing the ED invoice prices and saying you'll make a deal today for $1K over or best offer. Yes, this is brass tacks negotiation - you won't get a dealer to commit to doing it until they know you'll really serious about buying a car.

And again, I think for a 2004, I'd just wait a couple weeks as they don't have the pricing yet so they won't be able to make a firm counter offer anyway.

You might want to browse on over to www.bimmer.org or www.bimmerfest.org and see what others are doing - there's a lot of info there. I believer bimmerfest is sponsored by a S. Calif dealer called Cutter and there are several salespeople who are active on the forums. I don't know if they're cutting bare-bones $1K over deals, but people seem to be happy working with them.

And have fun, especially in Munich. I love it over there, but have never done ED (yet).

- Mark
    I believe someone mentioned that the wholesale prices only apply to the base price of the car and not the options.. The deals that most have obtained on this board include wholesale prices for the options as well..so just add up the wholesale price+wholesale priced options+destination charge + up to $1500 profit to get your car
    That would be even better news if prices were from the Wholesale/ED Invoice Price! Every hundred dollar saved just gives me reason to accessorize!

Thanks for the additional input. Looks like it's going to be a long summer of waiting! :)
    I think we're getting pricing confused here.

There are four prices published:

US delivery MSRP
    US delivery wholesale/invoice
    ED MSRP
    ED wholesale/invoice

On the base car (no options) BMW discounts both the MSRP and invoice prices by about 7-10%. But for options, there is NO difference between the US delivery prices and the ED prices. Invoice is still less than MSRP, of course, but there is no ED discount on options.

IOW, whether you are working with MSRP or invoice prices, the ED discount applies ONLY to the base car. Whether you have it delivered in the US or Europe makes no difference in the price of options. Thus, base cars, on a percentage basis, are discounted a little more heavily for ED. Look at the pricing data at bimmer.org and you'll see this is the case.

Of course, everything is negotiable so the entire discussion is somewhat academic. The discount you get is the discount you negotiate.

Hope this clarifies.

- Mark
    Just got back from the local Bimmer Dealer with a price quote. They are willing to go 5% of ED Invoice on everything -- options included. So depending how you parse it, yes they do and no they don't. From an academic standpoint you are right it is moot. So, they are asking roughly $1761 over ED Invoice (330i PP, SP, HS, HID, & Metaillic Paint) putting my price at $36,991.50 (actually, they added 5% to the delivery cost, which I will have to correct them on later).

Thanks for all the help! Things are looking brighter every day. Now, if I can just get the other dealer to come down $500 and I'm on my way to driving bliss....
    Sounds like you're getting down to the point of a pretty good deal. At some point, driving the last mile to get the last dollar isn't worth it.

You're getting the new 2004 Perf Package car right? Did the dealer say pricing was available? I'm surprised they're willing to give you a fixed price.

- Mark
    This is the fun part of the great BMW hunt. They made the deal as in 5% over whatever the "new" price might be. The above is currently figured out without the new performance package - PP - I told him Premium Package. Still a pretty good deal that can only get better! I just want the Standard 6 speed and don't care for the extra ponies at this point. 225 will be plenty for me!

I agree, the last hundred dollars isn't really worth it, but $500....it'll mean Christmas came early!

Thanks again!
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    I live in Portland and purchased a 2002 CIC through a broker who beat both dealer prices, one from one of the Kuni Sales Managers. Send me an email at CascadeTelcom@msn.com if you want details.
  • peterpan223peterpan223 Member Posts: 22
    I'm sorry, but I recently found out about ED and am very interested if it will save me some bucks.
    Just about how much will it save me?
    The cars will be up to US standard? (ie. mph instead of km/h)
    How do I go about it? Do most dealers do it? If so, do I just walk in and ask about it?
    I need to purchase my car my mid March, that's when my current lease runs out. According to bmwusa.com, I need about 6 months of time, am I too late for that? How much is the avg. plane ticket?

I know I sounded very dumb, but can someone please reply to my questions?
    Thanks.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    1. for price, go to www.eurobuyers.com
    2. the car will be US spec.
    3. All dealers will do it
    4. 6 months is BS. It the dealer has an allocation they can swap with your ED order, it can be anywhere from 3/4 weeks to 6 weeks. If not, up to 2-3 months.

Once you pick up the car, you will have to wait while it is shipped to US (~4 weeks or so)
    So then if I understand it correctly, I should be able to do ED at the wholesale price plus about 15k right? Not just the car itself, but the options as well. Does this seem right?

330Ci Munich Pick up $30,130
          Steptronic 1,210
          Bi-xenon 635
          Sport Pck 545
          Prem Pack 2,640
          Paint 430
          Dest. Charge 695
      Total $36,285 plus 1k-1.5k

And it can in about 2 month?
    For anyone who had the experience, how was it? Is it worth the savings (the traveling and plane tix, etc)

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Your prices look right. It will take a little longer than 2 months for the car. I'd work on the following timeline:

30-45 days from order to pick-up in Munich;
    45-60 days from drop-off in Munich (longer if you drop off in Italy) to delivery at US dealer longer if on West Coast).

Keep in mind that you'll have to pay for the car when you order, so you've got 3 months of lease/loan payments to cover while the deal is in process/in-transit. This kind-of eats into your savings, but the experience is well worth it!

Airfare before April should be pretty cheap, its under $350 r/t from Chicago.
    Yeah, I went into a dealer today to test drive the cars. I asked them about ED and told me that it will most likely take much longer than 6weeks.
    But I need to have a car before my current lease ends. So I guess ED is out of my option.
    Well, thank you all for your posts.
    Thanks for the information. I got a hold of a dealer (Thanks Lou!) who was able to give me a deal of $1300 over ED invoice. His name is Ted and was very straightforward. I've had some contact with Kuni and am not that impressed. What price did you get?

Thanks!
    You may want to call your leasing company and ask to extend it on a month-to-month basis. I did this when I got my 330 on ED. They should be willing to do this since chances are, they're underwater on the residual anyway.
  • chaaaossschaaaosss Member Posts: 22
    The guy on the board next door said that dealers may not be offering ED on the new 2004 coupes because of high domestic demand. Did anyone hear this happening with any previous model years? Sounds very disconcerting. I was all but ready to plunk down my cash, sight unseen, to travel to Europe in late July to pick up my new 2004 Bimmer. Say it ain't so.
    I had a '03 on order and changed to an '04 for a May 7 pickup with no problem. I was told I could have gotten a mid April if I wanted it but it was not convienent. There are some issues apparently dealing with dealer allotment or ED allotment.
    That's great to hear, sddennehy. So I guess I just have to pick the right dealer. Have fun with your pickup!
  • tomwannabmwtomwannabmw Member Posts: 20
    Can anybody point out the pros and cons of leasing via ED?
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    Cons
    1. any upfront payments 30 days before Munich pick-up

2. cannot drive car to certain eastern European countries if you're leasing (no restrictions on a financed bimmer)

3. waiting at least 6-8 weeks for delivery back to the U.S., which is a large percentage of the lease term.

Pros

1. if any, lower vehicle price. But I would never lease a bimmer through ED because any savings surely would be counteracted by the 2-3 months you have to pay lease fees without actually driving the car.
    A couple of Pro/Con (I'm not sure which they are).

1. You can get a lower mileage lease option and save money since you won't be putting miles on the car for 2-3 months (I went with the 12K/yr vs. 15k/yr and saved 700/year).

2. Your monthly payment is less while your car is in transit (it feels slightly less bad).
    I'm going for an '03 330Ci even though I would love to have the six speed coming out in ?April. I think I can negotiate a much better lease with the '03 here in the Phoenix. You sure can lower your cap cost by a bundle doing ED tho!! But I couldn't stand the wait!
    Of course, the big pro is being able to drive your new BMW in both Europe and the United States. I've already started planning my trip and I can't believe I'll be able to drive from Munich to Venice to Florence to the Italian Riviera, to the French Riviera, to Paris, and then across the channel to London. The fact that I'm getting my car cheaper than the U.S. Invoice on top of that just boggles my mind.
    I agree that the base price via ED is mind-boggling. But while it is romantic to think about driving through Europe in a spanking new Bimmer, driving on the continent can be very tedious. I spent a few weeks in Holland last summer and drove down to Paris with the wife in a rental, and it was as nerve-wracking as a cat in a rocking chair factory! I remember watching those trains speed past the highway, and I imagined myself indulging in fine wines and flirting with my wife.

In reality I was scrambling to try to figure out why the damn highway I was on just, unannounced, changed names, and cussing the old lady because she thought we were still in Belgium when we had been in France for three hours! Some navigator!!! Or where the next petrol station was (that charges like $72 US per "litre")!!! And Paris, good gawdalmighty, what a mess the traffic and roads are there!!! I got that Opel into a garage (parking cost US$34 per night X 7 nights in our four star hotel's gararge) and didn't even look at it while in Paris. I was AMAZED that I didn't get in an accident! I could just imagine those snobby frogs laughing at me after they smashed my brand-new BMW if I had bought ED!!!

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but driving on in Europe is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. I recommend a few hard days of driving on the autobahn and get the car on the boat safe and sound, without a scratch. Then get a train pass with all that money you saved doing ED and drink the wine and relax.
    Tomwannabmw correctly points out that Europe driving can be nerve wracking, but it doesn't need to be. I've never done ED, but I've rented vehicles in Europe many times and the key is picking and choosing where you travel.

Paris? No way. I stayed outside of town and we took a tour bus into town. Even the locals avoid going in to the city at all cost.

I think the key is to drive in Europe to enjoy the rural areas, wonderful roads, and lack of draconian police enforcement. Alps in May-Sept are a huge treat. But having a car in a major urban area is mainly a liability, especially given the great public transit systems available in most locale. I'd never attempt to use the car to see all the sights in major cities. If I ever do ED, it will to make a beeline from Munich directly to the Alps.

- Mark
    I was fearing this may be a bit too ambitious. I suppose it would still be easy enough to drive the French countryside and drop it off once we get to Paris. Although letting go of the Bimmer in Nice and taking the TGV through the heart of France to Paris sounds like a reasonable alternative. I have no idea if the French countryside is so much more enthralling in a car compared to the TGV. Anyway...