Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    etjetj Member Posts: 12
    Blueguy,

Thanks for the advice...

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are MSD's?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I could be mean and do a typical forum thing: use the search feature.

But I'll explain it...

Multiple Security Deposits allow you to "buy" down the MF. When you lease, you pay an security deposit (on a bimmer it's about 400-500. With BMW if you buy multiples, the MF (money factor) is dropped by 0.0001. In 03 you could buy up to 10 of security deposits, thus dropping your MF by 9. I think it's capped at 5 total now. Additionally, when you return the car, the security deposits - unless you thrashed the car - come back to you.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Not only are the MSDs capped at 5, the discount on the money factor is 1/2 what it used to be... So, instead of a total possible discount of .0009, the maximum discount is .00025....

Very minor savings, compared to the old plan..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Wow, that's lame. Guess BMWFS realized it wasn't such a good deal for them. :D

My finance rate worked out to 0.72% on my lease. Couldn't have worked out much better.
  • Options
    etjetj Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for all the tips...I talked Cunningham down to 28 money factor and 1000 over invoice. I have to ask about the MSD's with the finance person there tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll have more questions...
  • Options
    newbmwguynewbmwguy Member Posts: 6
    This is going to be my first BMW. I'm planning to buy the 325i tomorrow, with the following options:

Sparkling Graphite Metallic paint
    Steptronic automatic transmission
    Premium package (with beige dakota leather)

The invoice price is:
    Base invoice -- $27,755
    Destination charge -- $695
    Metallic paint invoice -- $430
    Steptronic automatic invoice -- $1,210
    Premium package invoice -- $2,640

The deal I have struck is a total drive-out price, including tax, tag, title, and all dealer fees of $36,462.33. I live in Atlanta, and I solicited quotes from all of the area dealers, bargaining up from the invoice price, then played one off of the other to bring the price down. Am I making a bad deal?? Thanks in advance for any praise or criticism of my negotiation skills!
  • Options
    bmwdavebmwdave Member Posts: 6
    Ok, went to the dealer told him this is what I wanted and this is what he quoted me:

2006 330i: $36,600
    Monaco Blue Metallic
    Premium Package: $2,200
    Rear Deck Spoiler: $495
    Remote Access/Convience: $500
    Rear Park Distance Control: $350
    Navigation with iDrive: $2,000
    He's charging me for floor mats!: $129
    Handling: $695

Total quoted by the dealer: $43,444

Is this a good deal??? Keep in mind I live in Oklahoma and there really are not many BMW dealerships in the entire state. I'm calling the bank on Monday for my financing options, so if anyone could give advice before Monday that would be great! Thanks!
  • Options
    newbmwguynewbmwguy Member Posts: 6
    Here's an update. Today one of the dealers beat this price. My deal is now $36,162.33, drive out.
  • Options
    Dirt cheap... better grab it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    No discount from MSRP? He suggests you pay sticker price?

How could that be a good deal?

I suggest you shop around...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    beofanbeofan Member Posts: 1
    You got an excellent deal. May I ask which dealership you bought your bimmer from?

Jeff
  • Options
    sajayreddysajayreddy Member Posts: 16
    Can someone PLEASE let me know if this deal is OK in Northern CA (Fremont)

2006 BMW 330i, 6 speed manual

-Invoice 33485
    -idrive navigation 1820
    -Premium Pkg 2000 (Beige leather)
    -Sport Pkg 1455
    -Black Metallic 430
    -Destination 695
    -MACO+Training 510
    600 (Dealer said this was above the invoice, maybe their margin)
    ---------------------------------------
    INVOICE $40955
    ---------------------------------------

I think the MSRP was $43570 and the dealer quoted me $40955 or rather $41K, so almost $2500 less than MSRP.

Also since there is not a single car with the above options I plan to place a deposit and the dealer told me it takes about 10-12 weeks for delivery. Did anyone previously place a order and how were their experiences.

Thanks a lot in advance.

-
  • Options
    jose1lmjose1lm Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone buying any of these extra options being offered. I'm just wondering if they are worth buying.

Tire And Wheel Protection: $695
    * Provides repair/replacement in the even of road damage to tires or wheels

Appearance Protection: $ 895
    * Paint guard protects paint against oxidation and fading
    * Fiber guard protects carpet and fabric against stains
    * Leather guard protects against drying, fading, and aging
    * 5 year Limited Warranty on covered damage

BMW Full Maint. Upgrade: $1395
    * 72 mo./100000 mi.
    * Full maintenance extension
    * Covers all factory recommended maintenance
    * Includes replacement of some items that are not covered by the BMW Limited warranty

There are a couple of more options out there too, but I just listed a few.

The only ones I decided on was the 'BMW Full Maint. Upgrade' & 'Appearance Protection'. I was a bit unsure if I should have also gotten the Tire and Wheel protection. I've read in the forums that the 'Run-Flat' tires can be a problem in fixing if you get a puncture. Waiting for a replacement and or being very expensive. I've read that if you get a small nail, you can get it patched, depending on where it went in. Though the dealer said they can't be patched. Anyone else have any thoughts out there?

JLM

2006 330i
    Titanium Silver Metallic
    Premium Pkg
    Cold Weather Pkg
    PDC
  • Options
    saigonboi21saigonboi21 Member Posts: 150
    i think you can get the Appearance protection anywhere. Go to a Toyota dealership and buy it there. IT's only $298. THe interior protection may cost a lil more.
  • Options
    You may be wrong on the base invoice price.... Any car that is ordered will arrive after September 1st, and will have a price increase.

$2500 off MSRP looks like a pretty good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Tire and wheel protection.. $695 seems like a lot for insurance... Just watch where you are going..

Appearance protection.. A waste of money... no other way to put it.

Full maintenance upgrade.. The list price for this is $995... No need to buy it now, when you can purchase it at any time before your 4yr/50 maintenance program expires... Plus, they marked it up by $400.

Put the $3000 for these items in your pocket.... and save it for a rainy day..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wayne6wayne6 Member Posts: 8
    Within the next month or so, I anticipate being in the market for a car. I'm a newbie so I got a bunch of questions.
    I'm debating between the 2006 330i and the 2005 Ci (with the performance package), which is about $1,000 more than the 330i. Several months ago, I drove the 2005 Ci with the performance package and it was a hoot.
    Has the roll out of the 2006 330i (with 255 hp) had any impact on the selling price of the 2005Ci (235 hp with performance)? Yesterday I test drove the 330i (without sports package), is there much difference in the drive with the sports package? The sedan is probably more practical, but from the sheer grin factor, the 2005 Ci was tough to beat.
    Finally, I live in SoCal, who's giving the best deals?
    Any help is most appreciated.
  • Options
    oh yeah i forgot about that Sep1st price increase...HE said it's gonna go up $600. I also know nothing and have never even heard of the MACO fees of $510 until he mentioned it the other day. I suppose it's what BMW charges them. A manager from Mountain View told me the same thing. SO i guess it's something we have to include when calculating the base invoice price. Someone told me that it would only take 8- 9 weeks max til you get your car. This might or might not be true...
  • Options
    Go to Continental Motors or Sherman Oaks. I heard they give out great prices. If you decide to go with Continental Motors, ask for the owner.
  • Options
    snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    We purchased Road Hazard Tire and Wheel coverage thru the dealer for $250. It covers 4 years/unlimited miles. Since we were not familiar with the run flat tire, we felt $62/year was nominal. Especially since one tire is over $200 to replace.
  • Options
    timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    I wasn't aware of the maintenance upgrade. Is that coordinated through the dealer? Do you know if you have to exercise that option before you take delivery?
  • Options
    Well, I was shocked to see that (in my case) the calculator produced the exact same results at the dealer's worksheet. By $100, I assume you mean in terms of a cap reduction? Surely not a $100/month difference?
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Good news. Today my salesperson confirmed that BMWFS reduced their acquisition fee in NY from $900 to the regular $625.
  • Options
    Yeah! Do you mind if I ask what dealership you've been working with?
  • Options
    BMW of Greenwich. Their sales dept is in Greenwich, CT, just over the NY border. But their service dept is in Purchase NY, just over the CT border.
  • Options
    mleivomleivo Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can locate the invoice sheet/list for a 2006 330i? Looking for something that shows invoice prices for all of the various packages and options.
    Also, considering European Delivery. What's the latest on whether that can get you a better deal? Thanks.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yes, but I'm not allowed to post the link here.

Do an internet search.
  • Options
    How exactly should the BMW Ordering process work, from ordering to you actually getting it?? I mean is the process like this?

1. Go to BMW Dealership, order car, and pay 1,000 deposit
    2. Call dealer with your haggle price and let them know how much you want to pay
    3. After some haggling, dealer and buyer come to agreement
    4. Actually pay for the car with check from bank loan, or lease payment
    5. A couple months later get the car and drive away a happy man

Is this how its supposed to work when getting a BMW?? Please advise!
  • Options
    1) Go to BMW dealership
    2) Haggle for car
    3) Come to an agreement
    4) Order car and pay deposit
    5) A couple of months later, car arrives
    6) Actually pay for the car, and drive off in it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Kyfdx thanks for the reply

I've already put down the deposit and then had them order the car on the computer, is it too late to offer a price that's lower?? First time BMW buyer obviously. So the guy said my car would get here in like 2 months, I would then pay for the car when I go to pick it up, in 2 months right? I'm getting the loan check in the mail tomorrow or the next day, does this mean I just hold onto it for 2 months, until the car gets here? Just making sure. Thanks for the help, you've been great.
  • Options
    Usually... you don't pay for the car until the day you pick it up.... You lose all leverage over any problems that might occur, once you pay for it...

It will be hard to haggle, if you have already ordered the car... You can try, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jose1lmjose1lm Member Posts: 3
    I purchased the 'Full Maint. Upgrade' at the time financing. Although, the person said I could get it at a later time, I just decided to get it.

JLM
  • Options
    monomoy1monomoy1 Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to order a 325 xi and dealer has said there will be no discounting since the vehicle is not out and demand is high (northeast). sound right? should I just assume I'll be paying MSRP?

thanks
  • Options
    kyfdx,

Perhaps you may know the answer to my question.

I ordered a 2006 330i in July. At the time of order, I locked in the July lease program (MF of .0025 and RV of 59%) with an option on the lease program in effect at the time of delivery. My car is expected to reach the dealer some time next week. I tentatively scheduled delivery for Sep 2. I could possibly take delivery in late August, but I'm coming out of a leased car and I'd like to avoid a double car payment in August.

I understand from various forums that the August lease program is more favorable than the July lease program. While the MF stayed the same (.0025), the RV is higher (60%).

I am wondering if I may now be in a position to lock in the August lease program with an option on the September lease program if it is more favorable, thereby making the August lease program my worst case scenario. In that case I would keep Sep 2 as my delivery date. Or, since I already locked in the July lease program at the time of order, would taking delivery in August (i.e., Aug 31) be the only way for me to possibly take advantage of the August lease program? In that case I would consider changing my delivery date to Aug 31.

I put these questions to my salesperson, but he is slow to reply. He is a new guy who always has to check with other people, people who he says are on vacation or too busy. They were very responsive to my inquiries during the period of time when they were working hard to, as they like to say, "earn my business." But now that they have my business and I am still a few weeks away from delivery, answering my questions must be a low priority for them. Not only is my salesperson slow to respond, but I don't have much confidence in him. Most recently he gave me incorrect information about the August lease program. He told me that the August lease program was not in my favor as compared to the July lease program. In particular, he said that the MF is higher. About a week ago, I asked him to double check. And I am still waiting for his substantive reply.

It occurred to me that I might sooner know where I stand by asking you.

If you have any insight into how the Sep lease program will likely compare to the Aug lease program, please advise.

Thanks.

David D
  • Options
    They won't announce the September program until the day it takes effect.... or possibly the evening before... So, you'll be taking a chance..

Something else to think about.... The end of the current program may not be August 31st.. With the Labor Day weekend coming up, they may run the current program through September 4th or 5th.. (or, they may not).

I don't have any good advice on what may happen... the coming price increase may also factor in to how they adjust the program, but I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on what effect it may have..

Sorry I can't be of more help...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks anyway.

It didn't occur to me that the current lease program might be extended through Labor Day, in which case it would make no difference whether I take delivery on Aug 31 or Sep 2, since the same program would be in effect either way.

I'll try again to get my dealer to focus on my circumstances well in advance, so that I can plan accordingly. I might want to change my delivery date depending on what they say. I don't want to take a chance and jeopardize the good fortune that I have had so far. The August lease program is more favorable than the July lease program, and BMWFS reduced their acquisition fee in NY from $900 to $625.
  • Options
    If you assume that the program ends on August 31st... Maybe.. they will write you up for that date.... Surely, they don't have to get the paperwork in, until the next day.... then, if September numbers are better, they tear up your paperwork from the day before... Assuming the new program starts on September 1st..

But, you'll have to get your CA up to speed.... doesn't sound like he is, so far..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    That's probably about right... I don't know from personal experience, but I know that demand is really high for all 3-series and many dealers are nearly or completely out of inventory. With the xi model coming out, as well, I can't imagine a discount. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    That would be the ideal situation for me. I will try to make arrangements accordingly. The challenge is to get my CA to fully appreciate my situation and give me the comfort I am seeking.
  • Options
    101kgb101kgb Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at both the 2005 3.0 X5 and the 2005 330 coupe. I pretty much have a handle on the leasing package and MF for the X5 but I'm trying to find out info on the 330 coupe. Shouldn't the dealer be motivated to dump these cars since the new body style will be out in 6 months or so? Anyone know the money factors and terms you can get dealers down to? And will they get close to invoice?

thanks
  • Options
    Unless BMW puts incentives on the coupes, then the dealer's cost structure is already in place... I really doubt the new coupes will be out before April, and I don't see many on the lots now.... So, not sure where the motivation will come in..

They do have a decent lease program on them, though... And.. there will likely be an '06 coupe out soon, though it will still be the current body style... You might see a selling price near invoice + $1000.

330Ci Coupe

36 mo/15k mi – 57% Residual Value – Money Factor .00080 Base Rate

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sorry, but I do not have any information on 2005 330ci selling prices and/or the current leasing program for that model.
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Shouldn't the dealer be motivated to dump these cars since the new body style will be out in 6 months or so?

The 2006 3-series coupe and convertible will be out in October, but they will be the same old body style and engines. The updates won't be made until the 2007 models.
  • Options
    selmselm Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone else think it is a bit odd that BMW would redesign the sedan and then wait so long to redesign the coupe? I wonder if the 2 door sales have suffered because some might be willing to wait for the new one.
  • Options
    not odd at all. it's how bmw does it. as long as i can remember the sedan bodystyle comes out first, then the coupe, then the convertible and finally the M. the e36 and e46 came out this way.

the 5 series popped up and then 6 series came next.

You must keep in mind, sedans make up the lion's share of the sales.

Additionally, everybody in 04 knew the e90 was coming in 05 as an 06. It's not like companies sneak a new model out.
  • Options
    michaeln1michaeln1 Member Posts: 24
    did you haggle this price down or was it just what they had offered you?

-mike.
  • Options
    That is IRONIC! BMW of Greenwich is where I am buying, too. I had shopped at Westchester and Pace, but Greenwich beat the others out in pricing.

They confirmed the lowered acquisition fee for me, too. Yahoo!!
  • Options
    Seems like a good move. The upgrade continues to provide zero-cost oil-changes, brakes, etc?
  • Options
    The deposit is only that -- you should be able to get a "refund". Shop out the car elsewhere. If you get a better price, take steps to get your deposit back. (that might even result in the original dealer offering a better package). And what's up with 2 months? Especially if you are paying a higher amount, the car should be there much, much earlier.
  • Options
    And that's hardly our first coincidence! To mention another, our wives are Howard Stern fans who had to have Sirius satellite radio.

I gather that you live in Westchester County, parts south. I also live in Westchester, but parts north.

I hope that you are working with an experienced salesperson there. In my case, although I was referred to a sales manager in the first instance, he wasn't there on the occassion of my first visit. A rookie helped me out in his absence. Little did I know I'd be stuck with him. He's a very nice guy, but he's given me some incorrect information and he is slow to respond to my questions. When he doesn't know the answer (which is often the case), he has to check with someone before responding. Then he says that the person he has to check with is on vacation, too busy, etc. Strings me along for a week. I'm a laid back guy, but I'm getting annoyed. I don't like being in this limbo position in between order and delivery, where responding to my inquiries is not a priority.