Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    2gps2gps Member Posts: 2
    My husband took my car for an oil change today and the mechanic could not remove the plug. It spins in both directions as if stripped, but no oil is leaking. Estimated cost of repair is $600 to replace the pan since the engine has to be raised. I can't believe this is the only fix out there. Has anyone heard of this before?
  • Options
    keybrokekeybroke Member Posts: 2
    I am having the SAME problem with my 98 GP GT. Key gets stuck in the ignition. About 10% of the time, I can get it out. This isn't such an awful problem as I just disconnect the key fob and lock it from the outside. But tonight my driver's side power window won't go back up. AND it's supposed to rain. AND my keys are, as usual, stuck in the ignition. I might as well put a sign on it that says "STEAL ME". But I will try some of the things you all suggested first. Will let you know if I have any luck. Pray that my car is still outside my house in the morning! :cry:
  • Options
    gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    Where do you live? Just kidding. :D

Curious though. Do you have a floor or column shift? My '98 GT floor shift has never had that problem. Or do all GTs have a floor shift?
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    On my wife's 1998 Regal, she could not remove the key because the switch failed that indicates that the car is in park. The switch is located in front of the floor shifter so the whole console had to be removed. It was a pretty big job.
  • Options
    keybrokekeybroke Member Posts: 2
    My '98 GT does have a floor shift. I even messed with popping the little "shift lock release" button on the right side of the shifter off as suggested in the owner's manual, but to no avail. I'm waiting now to take it in and have the electric window switch replaced. We'll see how much they take me for on that one.

Oh, and the car was still outside this morning.... :)
  • Options
    The driver power window switch change out is a piece of cake. I did it myself in about 10 minutes .... and I'm no mechanic. But, the part is not cheap. What you and I call a "switch" is really a relay with circuit board (auto down feature, cutoff, lite, etc.). I paid $65.86 for the plug-in part a year ago. And, I have a 2-door. If you have a 4-door, it may be more. I'd be surprised if they charge you labor though. It would be like charging labor to install wiper blades.

Glad your car didn't go on a joy ride last night. See .... there are advantages to not owning a high profile ride. :)
  • Options
    thomas90thomas90 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR IN 2002. THEY STILL CAN'T PIN POINT THE PROBLEM. GM IS EVEN IN ON THIS AS I HAVE HAD IT WITH NOT GETTING ANYWHERE WITH THE DEALER. I'VE HAD CLOSE TO $5000 IN REPAIRS (UNDER WARRANTY STILL) AND ITS NOT FIXED YET.I LOVE THIS CAR BUT IT GETS OLD HAVING THE HORN GO OFF AS IT PLEASES. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN?
  • Options
    logan4logan4 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer wants $1,400 to replace my a/c, in my '97 Grand Prix GT he states I need a compressor, evaporator , dryer and orifice tube. I have rebuilt engines in the past and wanted to do this my self and save about $800. but the chiltons manual has nothing on how to do this stating it could cause death (I am not kidding) does anyone know a safe way I can do this myself? Car is in great shape otherwise.

Hldonprtnr@aol.com

Thanks
  • Options
    robotbob40robotbob40 Member Posts: 4
    will not start but has power if i cross starter it will start run for a few seconds and then die was told it has to do with the security light intermittently coming on. tried to reset but will not work HELP??? :mad: :confuse:
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    "
    My wife was driving our 2000 Grand Prix gtp today and it died on the highway,she pulled over and the car was dead. She was able to start the car but it would die after 5 seconds any time she tried it....anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be
    "
    --end quote--

Have them check the crankcase sensor.

Loren
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    "Have them check the crankcase sensor"

That's crankshaft position sensor. Check fuel pressure.
  • Options
    dueeduee Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 1997 GranPrix 3800 just today developed a whinning noise. It get louder/faster as she accelerates. Before I take it in I was wondering what you found out?
  • Options
    dueeduee Member Posts: 2
    Wrong title back there on #233...anyway here's an update. I checked under the hood this evening and using a sound probe (18 inch drill bit) I found the noise is coming from the generator and alittle bit of that "burnt wire" smell was there also. Guess the rest of the story is to replace it.
  • Options
    ryan1220ryan1220 Member Posts: 1
    I have about 110k on my car and it seems to run great on some days but i don't drive very far too and from work and it's sluggish on performance. the cars RPMs seem fine but the car feels like it's loosing gas presure. so I pull off my foot off the gas and push the gas again and it's fine then after about a min, I have to do it again. it's weird.. could it be a faulty fuel pump? that would be my guess.. there is no service engine light on at all.. Any help would be great.. :confuse:
  • Options
    whosicwhosic Member Posts: 1
    We had the same problem in our 97 Grand Prix GTP. There is a switch in the column that you can take out that will resolve the problem. Previously, the key would be locked in the ignition and it would stick in Park for 2 minutes (almost exactly) every time you put it in park, whether you turn the ignition off or not. The key always comes out now, but it still sticks in park. I will see if I can find the reference to the part in the manual and let you know more specifics.

Wade Hosic

and later that evening...... The part I am referring to above is the Electronic Park Lock and is a white plastic switch that can be reached by taking off the steering column shrouds. It has a wire into the bottom and the wire is what actuates the lock. I don't know if the wiring was bad, the switch was bad or the plunger (lock part) was damaged. I just know that it works now. Be careful, without the switch the key can be taken out of the ignition without the car being in park. Has never been a problem for us, but wanted to make you aware of it.
  • Options
    anormananorman Member Posts: 1
    Hello, when I removed the wires from my battery to troubleshoot, the same thing happened to me. I needed the code. I took my car to a GM dealer and they found the code for me and unlocked the stereo for free!
  • Options
    Great! Glad you got going again for nothing. I'd be interested to know how they "found" the code or otherwise unlocked the radio. (Maybe they can't tell you that .... or if they did, they'd have to kill you. :) )
  • Options
    sguidosguido Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 98 GTP that has about 93k miles on it. Since the dealership got a hold of it and performed a 90k service on it I've had nothing but trouble with it. The latest issue is that the super charger needs to be replaced. I'm thinking about getting a used super charger but I wanted to know if anyone knew about how long they last. Thanks.
    - Sam :sick:
  • Options
    miramichimiramichi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Grand prix GT and I also have a problem with my shifter locking in Park and also my key will not turn all the way off to allow me to remove it from the ignition. I have to use a screwdriver to push down on the Shift Lock Release Button to get it out of park and when I shut the car off there is a hole under the steering wheel on the column that I have to reach up under with my right hand index fingernail and there is a small button that has to be pushed that allows the key to be removed.
    Anyone know a fix?
  • Options
    edgewiseedgewise Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 97 gp gtp engine stuttering after it has been running for a while. When I try to restart it, the rpm will go up and down around 1000 and die again. If I dont hit the gas and try to resart, it seems to be just fine. I have replaced the thermostat and this did not solve the problem. Also, the temperature has a broad range all the way up to about 210.
  • Options
    cjpmancjpman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Prix that the key got stuck in the ignition. First I used a 4" piece of coat hanger wire to insert in the hole in the steering column under the ignition switch. I would have to move it around in there a little to find the release button. This worked just fine but was seemed a bit caveman like to do this procedure every time. I finely decided to make a "pin" that was just the right length that when inserted in the hole and pushed the release switch in it was flush with the hole. Then while holding it in apply a 1" square piece of duct tape to hold it in place. This has solved the problem nicely. It was a choice between repairing it for $200 or more or going with this remedy. My wife and I are the only ones who can really see the duct tape repair.
  • Options
    taparoo10taparoo10 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car and just recently started having the same problem. I have to hit the shifter into park real hard and sometimes turn the car off and on to get the key out. I have no clue what the problem is. If you find anything out, please let me know, and I will so the same. :)
  • Options
    Please see message #225.
  • Options
    It's probably the nose drive worn out. Here's the link to Magnuson, the only Eaton authorized rebuider, who sells reman nose drive assemblies:

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/reman/reman-Pontiac.htm
  • Options
    rw3rw3 Member Posts: 1
    Bob,

I also own a 99 Grand Prix. The windows are a known issue that GM/Pontiac refuse to correct or compensate for. I have replaced 8 windows on my vehicle due to faulty regulators. The break even if they are not being used and slide down in to the door. These run about $600 each. I do not believe the dealer has never heard of your problem as it is related to the same issue I described and Pontiac has been contacted by my dealer who said that Pontiac knew about it. :lemon:
  • Options
    sflannerysflannery Member Posts: 1
    hey i noticed you said your dealer replaced your cat. for free. is it true that this is covered under warranty? i think i need mine replaced and i want to make sure i know if i should get it for free before i take it to a dealer. thanks for your help.
  • Options
    It's covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
  • Options
    stnlycupstnlycup Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 GP GT with the Duel setting on the A/C- Heat panel. My problem is the A/C vents on the passenger side get very cold and the drivers side gets cool at best. Air flow is the same on both sides. It also happens if the Duel setting isn't selected. It just started happening last year was fine. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    pjm4pjm4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    My son was driving my car and while driving the car started revving. He got it off the road and called home. This is what I have, You can shift into reverse and the car works , neutral and park also fine but when you put it inot drive ,second or third nothing, the car sits there and when you put on the gas it just revs. It is a 96 grand prix. Does this sound like something broke on the front rear maybe something with the front wheel drive or does anyone think it is the tranny?? I have to get it towed home in the morning but for now it is parked at a relatives house. We had to drive it in reverse to get it there and luckily it was only a few blocks.Thanks for any help anyone can be.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like transmission to me, sorry. You might check the fluid level but that's about all you can do. Perhaps it's a valve body problem but even then they will have to dig in there.
  • Options
    pjm4pjm4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I have called a pontiac dealer and also a transmission company and both gave me different opinions. Dealer told me its the transmission and will cost 2200.00 to fix and the transmission mechanic said it could be a sensor there are 3 of those and that would cost between 35.00 to 100.00, and if they are fine then of course they would have to dig deeper but without seeing my car they couldnt give me a price. Of course I dont know which transmission is in my car so they wouldnt give me an estitmate on a new tranny. I think I will fix it and get rid of it. I am really tired of the litte annoying problems I have been having with this car. Does anyone else have problems with their 96 grand prixs?? I have rebuilt the top of the engine due to coolant problem, had a serious water leak problem in the trunk, blown coolant sensors several times, had to have rotors replaced And I only have 60k miles on this and have kept up with oil changes belts etc.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I hope you get lucky with a sensor (I guess they control the valve body). I haven't heard anyone raving great things about the 90s grand prixs, no. You might also check the resale value of your car before you put in a new transmission.
  • Options
    bridbrid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand Prix which continuously needs the window regulators replaced. I am sick of paying $600 every year to replace them so I bought a Grand Prix Service Manual that tells you how to replave the regulator. The only problem I have now is that you have to roll the window down part way to remove the regulator to glass bolts. The manual does not describe how to do this when the regulator MOTOR DOSN'T WORK. Can anybody help me?
  • Options
    jimpsy46jimpsy46 Member Posts: 1
    The odds are that you are not getting much "boost" at this point. If the supercharger blows, it could get very ugly. I have a 97 GTP, and had to replace the supercharger at 90,000 when it began to "chatter." The dealer wanted $1500 plus installation for a new Eaton unit with a 1 year warranty. I went on line and found a great company in CA (PSE Superchargers).. www.pse.us They sold me a rebuilt unit with a life-time guarantee for $750.00 including shipping. My mechanic charged me $180.00 (3 hrs labor) to install. The rebuilt unit is better than original.
    It uses Mobil One synthetic instead of standard gear oil. My Grand Prix now has 105,000 miles on it and runs like a bear.

Good luck
  • Options
    ceevesterceevester Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 97 Pontiac GTP. I took off the console cover arou nd the shifter and found the wire connector under the cover was disconnected. After I reconnected the wire, the ignition key lock worked normally again. What a relief.
  • Options
    newfiegtpnewfiegtp Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem...The other day, the OAT read 34 degrees C. There was cold air from the passenger vents, and warm air from the drivers side (just vent air basically). Some days when the OAT temp is around 20 degrees C, then it gets a little cooler from the drivers vents, but even more so from the passenger's side. I've checked the actuator for the driver's side control, and it seems to operate fine.
  • Options
    chatys1953chatys1953 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter has a 1999 Grand Prix GTP. The shifter would not shift into gears.The tow driver stuck something in the side of the shifter and was able to shift the handle. He said the shifter was out of line. Anyone know anything about this problem?
  • Options
    sguidosguido Member Posts: 3
    Well I ended up going to carpart.com and finding a used super charger for my wife’s 98 GTP. It cost me about $350 after shipping. My local mechanic (I never go to the dealer any more) charged me $150 to put it in (parts and labor). So for what was originally quoted as a ~$1600 repair only cost me ~$500. I'll let you know if it gives me any more problems. Thanks for all the advice.
    - Sam
  • Options
    blaze43blaze43 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my Grand Prix 2002 iginition switch. Went to Pontiac to see if it was covered under warranty. They said it had to be replaced but since I was 1K over warranty they were going to charge me almost $400! On top of that, they had the audacity to charge me $100 for diagnostic testing when I had to tell them what the problem was. They claimed this was the first time they had heard of this problem. Obviously they should read some websites like this. This ignition does not go off. It jams and I need to restart the car a few times to get the key out.
  • Options
    regulatregt2kregulatregt2k Member Posts: 1
    Just a comment about my Grand Prix 2000 GT. It runs like a dream since I got it with 25000 miles. Recently I had a few things replaced: outside ambient temperature sensor - outside temp was reading too-high. Throttle was sticking, so had the throttle-body gasket replaced. Also the outer tie rod was dead so I had that one replaced too. Other than that, the car is amazingly reliable. I purchased it because it sported the 3800 GM engine, which to my knowledge is one of, or THE best, as far as reliability and longevity.
  • Options
    gazoogazoo Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 GTP is making a strange noise thats coming from the front of the car.
    it sounds like the engine is revving a lot higher than it shoud be but its not. The noise is scarying me but the car is running fine. If any one has any ideas I would greatly apperciate.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if it could be one or both of the electric radiator fans switched on. Do you hear the noise when the engine is cold? Faulty thermostat? Mine only comes on in very hot weather with the A/C on and/or the engine working hard. Just a thought.
  • Options
    gazoogazoo Member Posts: 2
    I think it may be coming from the belt. Would the belt make that kind of noise.
  • Options
    Can't believe the belt would make that kind of noisy. Belts usually squeal. Just noticed that you have a GTP. Have you checked the supercharger? I have a GT, so cannot relate to supercharger sounds.
  • Options
    frigmadfrigmad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Grand Am SE V6 and the left service engine light came on. was told it was a the fuel cap. they took care of it. last night the light came on again, drove home, parked and got in it this morning, started it and the valves were ticking like mad for about 10 minutes. oil was ok. but it eventually went away. Im no pro but i do know that was not normal. Do you know of any known problems with these cars that would cause this? Now the change oil light came on for no reason, the oil is good!!!. The biggest thing that drives me crazy is that Dealers or the mechanics have these Diagnostic computer. these things can PIN POINT problems...instead they would rather print off a list of possibilites and change parts at random to fill their pockets!! :mad:
  • Options
    grandprixgalgrandprixgal Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am just in the process of buying this car, but there seems to be a slight pulsating noise in the rear end of this 2002 GP. It seems to be more predominant at about 60 kms, but as you increase speed you can't hear it the same. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Tks, Grand Prix Gal in Ontario
  • Options
    brownrbrownr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have not had any problems with my Grand Prix hardly at all. Just today, however, all of a sudden I was driving and the transmission went out of gear and it won't go back in any gear. I checked the fluid and it's at a good level, and it doesn't look burnt or smell burnt or anything. I haven't had any problems before other than a little hop in the shifting here and there, but I'm sure that's normal for a tranny with 150,000 miles on it. Do you have any suggestions or ideas what the problem would be.
  • Options
    kpikuskpikus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Prix and I am also seeing the same problem. Both my back windows need regulators replaced. I am also looking for advice on how to properly replace these regulators.
  • Options
    Please see posts #119 and 120.
  • Options
    kspehnkspehn Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car with only 60000 miles and a new transmission. Have had it for about one year. Now it has a weird and unsteady idle at start up. It doesn't always go...some what of a stutter and gets stuck in about first and second gear. Once I hit 50 mph it works fine. If the transmission is new and so are all regular maintenance repairs, what else could it be. The fluid is at a good level and recently just had it flushed. I've been told by THREE different places that it is a different thing. Their suggestions were transmission modulator, fuel pump, and entire new transmission. Also the check engine light will appear for 2 seconds, then fade, along with the check oil light after I have just changed it. Any advice or similar problems will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.