Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac G6

Comments

• Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I see they will have displacement on demand, where fewer cylinders of the 3.9 V6 or the 5.3 V8 will be in use to save gas when not under acceleration. I guess we need not bring up anything about the first experiment of the 4-6-8 Cadillacs. Looked at some G6 cars today. Not bad. Nothing I would pay that much money for, but I guess the discounts should be in the range of $3k to $4k. They look small next to the Grand Prix. I think the 3.5 V6 will be just fine on the G6. Gas mileage looks pretty good.
    Loren
  • Options
    lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Went to the dealer this week to see the G6. Walked into the showroom were they had one on display. Saw the window sticker-Engine made in Mexico. Walked out and went home.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    You won't buy a car with an engine assembled in Mexico?
  • Options
    g6girliegirlg6girliegirl Member Posts: 1
    Any luck getting rid of the clicking noise in the dash? I have 3000 miles on my G6 and my dealership doesn't have a clue on the dash. I hear it everyday, but of course when it is there they don't hear it. :confuse: I thought if any one else had a solution I could take it to my dealership. Please help! Thanks so much. At least I am not crazy hearing that clicking/crackling sound! ;)
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Possible you could suggest dealer look at TSB #04-08-59-003A. It only applies during warm up in cold weather though. If that is reason then maybe they never hear it because vehicle always warmed up when they evaluate it.

Looks like it was published in late April so dealer will be able to pull it up.
  • Options
    prm1967prm1967 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, my dealer (Jones Pontiac, Sumter SC) fixed the clicking dash easily with I believe velcro tape under the dash. They commented that they did what GM told them to do for that. Almost 9,000 miles now and no other issues - try THAT with even C-class or 3-series! :)
  • Options
    Some better pricing, with the G6 V6 starting at 18,497.38. Now that seems pretty fair!
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    WHy do they still list the $21,555 base price on the Pontiac Web Site? GM should update the websites, that's where most people go, if they find out how low the G6 is right now, GM will grow some market share!
  • Options
    " WHy do they still list the $21,555 base price on the Pontiac Web Site? GM should update the websites, that's where most people go, if they find out how low the G6 is right now, GM will grow some market share! "
    --end quote--
    Well, the do have the Employee Discount Plan for Everyone Sale listed there too. Yes, they should just lower the price on the car, and stop with the games. That said, people like to think they are stealing something when buying under dealer invoice. The G6 is a good example of a car which, at the right price is a sound enough value, yet does not seem to knock the competition out of the ball park sold at retail. If they wish to price the thing higher, they will have to make it an overwhelming deal compared to models such as Altima and Accord. The 3.5V6 at 201HP is adequate, yet not in the same class as the competition. For something brand new, it should be one step ahead of the others and not one behind. When discounted, as it is now, that price is clearly fitting, as you get a V6 car for less than an inline 4 cylinder of a different make. They have done some things right, like the telescopic steering and brake pedals. When you are the underdog, as is the current standings in the eyes of many, you not only have to match the competition, but also overwhelm them - dazzle the customer with impressive product at lower prices. That is how Japan won. The price was lower, the quality ( or at least reliability ) was higher, so sales went up and their market share went up. After a decade or so the prices started to creep up, but buyers still bought because they were pleased with the product. I don't know if GM has the luxury of selling at low prices, and delivering top quality goods, as the structured price of building their cars is too high. And before anyone points out how prices, in today's money, are actually lower than in years past, you have to take into account how much lower the others have gone price wise, and how much higher the quality is now. Hyundai is now making a far better car, yet pricing as retail at lower prices than the competition. The once junk cars, can now not be ignored by GM and others. The warranty on GM does not match Hyundai. In the long run, GM will have to sell less cars, and move into specialized ones like say a Camaro or El Camino, which could sell for more money, has no equivalent made abroad, and could yield a profit instead of just market share. Market share means nothing compared tot he bottom line profit, especially to a company which could go bankrupt.
    :shades:
    Loren
  • Options
    johnbirdmanjohnbirdman Member Posts: 14
    Edmunds has 2006 G6 GTP pricing info posted now. Are they at the dealers yet?
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Saw a couple GTP coupes over the weekend. Look very sharp. I do not believe they are at dealers yet. I am guessing late July or August.
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I am anxious to see how the performance numbers of the GTP look vs. V6 Accords and Altimas.
  • Options
    michelle6michelle6 Member Posts: 22
    does anyone actually know how much the employee discounts are? just curious
  • Options
    brianr1brianr1 Member Posts: 19
    Maybe you guys can help me out here since no one at GM or Pontiac knows-

I just bought a GP GXP with remote start and the auto dual zone climate control. I'm in Austin and it's getting close to 100 these days so I leave the system on manual with a setpoint of 65 (fans on max with vents to head position). When I remote start, the AC doesn't seem to come on. The fans just blow warm air. I've even tried it with the system in Auto for both settings.

Does the system on the G6 come on when remote starting? My digital setpoint doesn't come on nor does the LED under the AC button so I'm thinking that my climate control system isn't getting any power.

I've even read that if it's under 60 outside, the system is supposed to turn on the rear-window defrost also. So if you're snowed-in somewhere, let me know if this actually happens as well.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    It should, that is the whole point of remote start, A/c in summer and heat in the winter. If you have auto climate it will turn it on by temp, you need to do nothing. IFyou have manual you need to set heat or A/C before you leave the car. BTW its all spelled out in the owners manual. :)
  • Options
    Thanks, I've read the manual but I don't get cold air. According to dealerships, this is way the remote start has always worked on GM vehicles, not AC air but only cooler air. So far on another GXP and plain Grand Prix, the same thing happens. GM Cares, Pontiac Cares, GM Owner's link just reads me what is written in the manual and can't give a definitive answer.

If anyone has a G6 with remote and dual zone climate controls that gets full AC with a remote start, let me know.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    That is pretty funny, "the way the remote start has always worked". It is the first year they have offered it in the Grand Prix and the G6.

While I can't say the systems are the same, I will try to borrow the G6 from my wife and try the remote start and check the AC this weekend. Should be hot enough here in the Boston area (predicting three days of 90 degrees).
  • Options
    2005 Model G6 doesn't have Automatic Climate Control so when you do a remote start the system will operate in "last setting". However if last setting had the A/C ON then during a remote start the A/C will be ON.

For 2006 model the G6 GTP has single zone auto climate control and will turn on A/C if it senses that interior temperature requires it.

This same feature started out in 2004 Malibu with Single Zone Automatic Climate Control. Malibu was the first GM product with factory remote start.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    e2helper,

Maybe in the hot weather the G6 goes to last setting, but in the winter it would go windshield defrost-full blower-full hot and turn on the rear window defrost.

But I thought I read somewhere that the remote start systems starting wiht the Malibu have three states of operation, for cold, medium and hot.

And I thought I read that the manual system on Grand Prix will go full cold a/c-full blower-recirculate if it is above 90 degrees.
  • Options
    I own a 04 Malibu not a Pontiac, if I leave the A/C on, the remote will start the car with the
    A/C on same as if I got in and started it normally from the driver seat with the key.
    If you set the A/C on and shut the car off, then restart from the key switch will the a/c come on? :)
  • Options
    Yes, the A/C ON command is remembered under those conditions.
  • Options
    [brainr1] claims no a/c with remote start, GM says that's normal, can you help him. :confuse:
  • Options
    prm1967prm1967 Member Posts: 9
    Concur with A/C being on during remote start on '05 G6 as long as it was already set that way. My only very minor gripe with the G6 A/C is that at every start (remote or not) the A/C defaults to "fresh air" even if you had "recirculate" selected before previous shutdown. Like I say, very minor - no real inconvenience having to press "recirculate" again after starting.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I still haven't heard back from GM. The AC does seem to turn on, but not at full power. Since the heat index here is over 100, the air coming out is cooler than the outside air, just not cold. I guess if I waited a full 10 minutes or so, the car would be cooler.
  • Options
    jhouse101jhouse101 Member Posts: 3
    I'm on the verge of purchasing a G6 GT (Cdn$)
    sticker: $30,500
    came down to: 29,000
    less $750 cash back
    less free sun roof $1,000
    less trade of $2,000
    lease rate 0.5%
    48 month pmt: $310
    USD equivalent = $250

Is this a solid deal?
  • Options
    No!
    Price still high for a FWD car. A good little car, but nothing worth a premium price.
    The sunroof will likely be noisy, and have other problems - do some research on that.
    Never buy on time. Assuming debt is not good, and you pay twice for the car. Once for
    the item, and once again to the bank. The tendency is to buy more than one can afford when not paying cash. Keep it simple is once again the three words of wisdom. Easy to see the actual price, the discount and to negotiate the transaction with cash. If you can not afford cash, wait two years, let the other person lose say 40% on the car, and buy it at the real discounted price. The car will certainly have more than 60% of its life left, so there ya go. Insurance will be less too. If the car does not lose 40 to 50% in say 2 to 3 years, then you now know that GM cars are retaining value more, and that the car will continue to be a value. If it does, as predicted, drop as it has in the past, you are not the one holding bag. I would not expect prices to soar in July when the current deal is dropped. That is unless they wish to play the old game of overprice a few thousand, then give back a few thousand, which equals a sum nothing gained, and only a loss in depreciation value. Since GM is now the comeback company, perhaps they need Hyundai pricing. Oh, but what about warranty? Will they match Hyundai on warranty and price? See the game is all wrong. They need to make only special cars, like the Solstice because one on one with Korea and Japan makes can only end in a draw, at best! The G6 is one of few cars GM has with telescopic steering column, and it has a good little base V6 in the 3.5. It is a good enough little car, but nothing worth paying more for than say the Altima or Mazda6.
    :shades:
    Loren
  • Options
    Good deal?

Depends on what you are trading in. What would that car be worth on the street? It
    would seem they are giving you more for the car and less of a discount to make the trade look good. Otherwise the free roof and cash back are nice and the lease rate is excellent.
  • Options
    It's a 1997 Taurus with 140,000 MILES, I'd be lucky to get $1000 on the street. But they have come down from the sticker on the G6 by $1500 already so I'm not so concerned about them "inflating" the trade-in price.
  • Options
    Sorry about that, it is not buying on time, but buying for time, as in lease. So you lose $3K per year. Seem like a lot of money to me. I figure my Japanese car to cost me around half that over 8 years time. Actually less, if I decided to sell the car and not trade it in. Something about paying for something you never own which I never liked anyway. Is the lease limited mileage to say 12k or is it 15k? By the time you pay up front and in the end, that lease is gonna cost you big time. I suppose a 4 year old G6 will sell for around $10 in the GT model. Out of curiosity, have you looked at the New Mustang? They do have a few bugs in some, so I am not saying rush out to a dealer and buy one. I wonder what strange things are happening with the G6 cars. First two years usually are the shake-out years for problem areas.
    Loren
  • Options
    the lease allows 24,000 kms = 14,400 miles. Pmts of $250 USD per month over 48 months = $12,000. Borrow 9k from bank to buy out after 4 years at $9,000, total paid by me = $19,000. Then sell it private for maybe 10k, maybe 8k if it depreciates a lot, and pay off the loan. seems like a good deal that way. Your km limit doesn't matter if you buy it out, what's the big difference between "owning" the car and "renting" the car if you look at it this way? Other than lower monthly payments. Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems like Leasing gets a bad rap without a good reason.
  • Options
    Yes, seems like this lease may work for you. Depends on the individual I guess. One way to have a new car more often. The loan for the $9K, if you are borrowing to buy the car in 4 years will be at a higher rate than a new car loan. Here is a link which is sort of interesting
    read - http://biz.yahoo.com/pfg/e16buylease/art011.html One thing to consider is, IF you do not have the cash to buy the car now, what happens if say you lose a job, or have some other unforeseen expense which makes it impossible for you to pay on your lease? I hate to rent things unless I have to, but that is just me, I guess. Now a boat for a day at the lake, does make more sense than buying a boat to use a couple times a year. You are more likely to buy within your means and get ahead in life if you pay by cash. You could buy half as much car, and use the money difference you would pay to by oil stocks and let that buy your next car. The way gas is going up and up, I find it the only price protection. Sort of if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em ;) Good luck, and yes, that lease sounds better than most. Be sure to read all the fine print.
    Loren
  • Options
    pontiacg6pontiacg6 Member Posts: 3
    Your figures sound pretty reasonable to me. Back in October, I paid $29800 CDN for one of the first delivered GT's. Got $9000CDN trade off that for my 2001 Alero. But that was a purchase not a lease. I really encourage you to follow through on the G6 GT. It's been 6 months now and I still feel good when I walk up to it and happy when I turn the key!
    Good luck.
  • Options
    ciancian Member Posts: 1
    Contact your dealer - the HVAC control module needs to be replaced
  • Options
    nick_87_gnnick_87_gn Member Posts: 4
    In regards to post #1552, I woudn't buy a vehicle assembled in Mexico or w/a engine, transmission assembled in Mexico either. That also includes China. Good news though. The '06 G6's I'm starting to see on the lots w/the 3500 V6 are made here in the states.
  • Options
    nick_87_gnnick_87_gn Member Posts: 4
    Let's only hope this trend continues and hopefully the 3900 V6 is made here also.
  • Options
    mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    I had the pleasure of renting a G6 in Greensboro NC about 3 weeks ago and found with the remote start, the air, turn signals, nor the radio would work while the vehicle was in remote start mode. When I went back to the counter, I was politely told this was the way they all worked. I have remote start in both my minivans and all accessories work in remote start mode just as they do in key-mode. Must be in the wiring of the remote start feature.
  • Options
    Sorry for your experience. A few clarifications.

Vehicle you drove has manual air conditioning system so when in remote start mode it only operates system in last settings. So if the A/C was turned off or fan off you won't have A/C during remote start. You need to have left A/C and fan on.

Most other vehicle functions are not functional when in remote start, you are correct. However I don't really think that you need functional turn signals or radio when in remote start.

At least the vehicle antitheft system is still functional. Many aftermarket system disable the vehicle antitheft system.
  • Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    I'd have to agree. If everything was functional then it wouldn't be safe. The porpose of locking down all those functions is to keep the bad guys from taking your car.

Then again, if taking the car out of remote mode is as easy as putting the key in the ignition and turnig it, whats the point of needing all the other accessories to work?

Remote start is for the purpose of preparing the cabins temp before you reach the vehicle. If you want all the other functions to work you might as well just get in and start it manually.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    In April a friend bought a G 6 & I bought a Sonata GLS Special Value. I paid about $3800 less (can't be sure because he won't say exactly or doesn't know). Both are nice cars. I preferred the Sonata's GLS SV based on the equipment and warrantee. Neither car is a "performance car." We're both in our 50's so we don't need GTO's.

I give the Sonata a "10". Other than the ' '71 Volvo 1800E I bought in ' 71 I've always bought an American car. Everything about the Sonata was just too much to pass up...features, comfort, ride, quietness, etc. And, as I said, a great price on the '05. The '06's are a new body style and a bit more expensive (plus no rabate, yet).

If you're thinking G 6, take a look at Sonata. You may be pleasantly surprized. Either way, you shouldn't go wrong.
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I personally do not see the Hyundai Sonata as a competitor to the G6. The Mazda 6, and the Nissan Altima, yes. Honda Accord, maybe. I think the Sonata competes with the Camry, Malibu, Accord, sedans. G6 is a little sportier, than those three. Anyway good luck with your Hyundai.
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    If you really are looking for a car to get you from point A to point B, and are really going to keep the car for the 10 years, then I guess. But the G6 is a better car. The korean cars have ten times the lemons that the dometics, japanese or europeans. The koreans also have the worst resale of anyone.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Either I'm not following you or your math is fuzzy. Don't forget whatever the real value of your trade-in would be. It seems like you are including $2,000 in setting the lease price but then ignoring it in determining your 4 year cost. Also, it looks like you're not using constant dollars, American or Canadian.

Check with the same dealer for a purchase price rather than a lease. Leases are usually more profitable than purchases for the dealer because it's easier to cook the numbers. Some years back I ordered an American car equiped the way I wanted it (rather than buying one from dealer inventory) at a negotiated price about equal to invoice (before rebate). After giving the salesman a substantial downpayment, I had to go see the sharpie in the back room. Well, I guess that guy really liked me and wanted to save me even more money because the first words out of his mouth were, "Have you ever considered leasing instead of buying? You could save money." What a guy! They had my money to order a car that would cost them nothing to carry in their inventory. And this guy wanted to save me even more (reducing the dealership profit) by trying to convince me to lease rather than buy. Maybe I was foolish, but I bought the car and drove it several years after the loan was paid off. :shades:
  • Options
    Hyundia Sonata is ok but it just doesn't have the look or style of G6. I also still don't trust the Korean cars long term. I know too many people with 4 or 5 year old Kias or Hyundias that are falling apart. Get what you pay for.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Anyone know what the cost is for the 6-spd manual on the GTP?? Is it a no cost option???
  • Options
    Think the G6 will get new options, or revisions anytime soon?
  • Options
    You mean other than for the current model year?

There is a bunch of new stuff for 2006 model just getting to dealers (and we haven't seen the convertible body style yet).
  • Options
    I mean like a Navigation system, xenon lamps, or meybe a revision to the GTP's fuel economy?
  • Options
    bytor1bytor1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new 2005 G6 owner and very pleased so far. I remember seeing a post in a forum that talked about intermittent starting problems related to the starter continuing to run after the engine has started. This has happened to me once. Does a TSB exist for this? Also, has anyone found an AUX line-in adapter that works with the Monsoon 6-disk head unit? I’m not having any luck.
  • Options
    mrdisco1mrdisco1 Member Posts: 9
    I've been looking really closely at the G6. It is clearly the best Pontiac to come out in a long long time. I'm just not sure on the 3.5L engine (is it a new design?), the lack of a 5speed auto, and most importantly - long term reliability.

i currently have a '96 Regal (bought new from the dealer) which without exaggeration has been nothing but a money pit. The repairs have been staggering and they still continue (latest problems - a/c compressor is gone, interior door panel has broken loose, armrest has snapped off, right power window doesn't work at times, power attenna doesn't raise...well i think you can get the picture). Will the G6 be a lemon? When will GM reach Toyota or Honda level of build quality?

I've read as many reviews as I can get my hands on for the G6 and some common points I see are interior materials are still behind the imports, the refinement isn't there, and an anemic v6 (the 3.9L is hardly a fair comparison against the imports given that it will probably cost more then their entry v6).

Thoughts? Am I way off base? Am I better off getting an entry level Accord or Camry?

:confuse: