Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac G6

Comments

• Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Just get a used C5 Corvette if you want a real performance car that will not lose money as fast as other cars in the GM line. The insurance is not all that bad.

As for the GTP.... It will be fun to own, so enjoy the ride!

If you go with 18 inch wheels, I hope the roads in your area are free of pot holes. I would think low profile tires would blow-out easier, or have rims easily damaged. There are some pretty light wheels these days. What brand of wheels are they using?

loren
  • Options
    gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Member Posts: 210
    "Vette is more than twice as much and I am sure the insurance will be a bunch more. "

Actually Corvette insurance is NOT as high as people think it is. For me, perfect driving record, early 30's multiple car disocunt/married, it was CHEAPER to insure a corvette then a F body V8 Transam, go figure? In fact the Corvette was $100 cheaper a year. Probably younger people cracking up F bodies more then Vettes. .

Sorry for going off topic, but the CHEAPEST performance car via my insurane company to insure was/is the 400hp V8 GTO. It was CHEAPER then the Corvette/Mustang/Sti etc.
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    If you really want a fun ride plop down for a 62 vette. Well used and broken in! Cost about as much as a C6 new though. See GM does have good resale value. Also cheap insurance due to being a historical vehicle.
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I'd save the money on the 18" option and get a set of spinners if you want a cool look. I really do like them. Use the original wheels for Blizzak snow tires if you live in snow-country.

Also, I have a Firebird with a 500W Monsoon system, and it's nice. Now the 200W in the G6 is probably decent but if you want better, don't go with expensive factory upgrades. Get the car and put the money into a good amp and better speakers.
  • Options
    gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Member Posts: 210
    GM defnitely has good resale value on their 2 door cars and vettes, convertibles up until their early 1970's cars. Yep, my 1957 Chevy is only about $150 a year with historical insurance. But there are more limitations with historical insurance. BTW, 1957 Chevy goes for about same as a C6 as well.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I'm a bit confused with this engine. The 2.4L in the HHR requires premium but the 2.4L in the G6 is ok with 87 octane.

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/2006/pontiac/gpg6/gpg6_opti.html

Are there 2 versions of this engine? The G6 version also seems to pack 3-4 hp less than the HHR.
  • Options
    Where did you see HHR requires Premium? I doubt it really requires it. Today most modern engines do fine with regular fuel and if you want a bit more performance the performance engines electronics can play with the timing to take advantage of the better fuel for better performance.
  • Options
    simplystressedsimplystressed Member Posts: 10
    Checked the tires today on this car. They are a Goodyear LS2. All season, super touring tires, but what I'm reading elsewhere is that these are crap in snow. Maybe I'll just buy out my '02 GP Coupe when the lease is up. :confuse:
  • Options
    Check the HHR thread, everyone is complaining about the fact that it needs premium 91 octane. Nothing on the Chevy HHR site but it's in their manuals.
  • Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I took a look at a GTP sedan today at a local dealer. It was more or less loaded. I think it had every option and it was almost $29K. The wheels are very sharp and the dual exhaust tips improve the rear stylind. Other than the mileage I really didn't see much to complain about. I do not like the faux wood accents though. I am hoping they are not standard. It was listed on the sticker under options but there was no charge next to the description. The standard metallic trim is much better. One of the GTs on the lot had a dealer installed satin nickel center stack that brightened the interior up nicely. Some additional bright trim was added to the edge of the seats (where the heated seat switches are located) and a few other places. Pontiac should think about making this trim available from the factory.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    It is interesting because from the 2006 GM media information - the G6 with the 2.4 runs on regular.?
  • Options
    rbvpprbvpp Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 G6 GT, and I was wondering if anyone knows where the subwoofer is located? I know it's got an 8 speaker system, but I only see 6 speakers (woofer and tweeter on each front door, and two big speakers in the back).

Thanks guys,
    rbvpp
  • Options
    I think there are 2 versions. The HHR / Solstice have a slightly higher output 174/177 hp version that needs premium and the G6 has a 167 hp version that runs regular gas.

That's my guess.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The speakers in back are coaxial and are counted as 4 of the 8. Part of them are the left/right "subwoofer"
  • Options
    rbvpprbvpp Member Posts: 2
    Cool, thanks e2helper!
  • Options
    kwestlakekwestlake Member Posts: 1
    I bought my G6 GT fully loaded in Jan 05 and I love it. I paid just $22,750 tax, tag, and title with no trade in. I took out a load through GMAC and the next month put $10,000 down on the principle only. This car has been extremely reliable. The only thing I've noticed is a slight rattle in the sunroof but the dealership fixed that in a day and gave me a loaner car to drive while they took care of it. I'm in the military so I drive long distances often and I’ve gotten up to 42mpg on the highway. Not all of these cars have problems and I couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Are they ever going to get the manual trans in the G6?
  • Options
    GTP model has 6 speed Manual Trans available - is that what you mean?
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Yes, that's the rumor, but will it be available for sale in my lifetime?
  • Options
    It depends how old are you and if you are in good heath or get hit by a truck :P
  • Options
    The GTP manual is on dealer lots right now.
  • Options
    Now I am worried because he hasn't replied :P
  • Options
    yogimagsteryogimagster Member Posts: 7
    Hello-

Curious if the dealership was able to figure out what might have been wrong with your G6? I am also have serious power steering problems with my car but yet the dealership is scratching their heads as to what the issue is. They claim to have "re-calibrated the sensor" after the first time that the PS failed, but since then, I have similar problems and the latest was the most dangerous in that the tires were not even responding to the steering wheel and turning! I have told the dealership that if they return it this time and it happens again, they will be having the car given back to them, but I really love this car. Were you able to get positive feedback and if so, is your vehicle running more smoothly?
  • Options
    steelcitysteelcity Member Posts: 2
    This just happened to me this morning. We've had the car for a week. Was your dealership able to fix this problem? How long did it take for them to fix?
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Does the G6 have a different EPS manufacture than the 04 malibu, mine is going great at 11K. :)
  • Options
    as I type this, it is Friday afternoon, they have been working on my G6 since Tuesday afternoon without any answers or clues as to what the problem is...guess I will be using their loaner over the weekend...
  • Options
    steelcitysteelcity Member Posts: 2
    I had a "power steering" message on the DIC this morning when it went out. I took it to my dealership this evening and they hooked it up to the computer and downloaded the error code from the DIC. The code they received was to replace the power steering module which was malfunctioning causing the volt shortage to the EPS. I guess it's just one of those electrical things that you never know when they'll go. You may want to mention this to your dealer. Maybe it'll give them a clue. Other than this happening, the car is awesome. We love it. Have a nice holiday and good luck.
  • Options
    " I had a "power steering" message on the DIC this morning when it went out. I took it to my dealership this evening and they hooked it up to the computer and downloaded the error code from the DIC. The code they received was to replace the power steering module which was malfunctioning causing the volt shortage to the EPS. I guess it's just one of those electrical things that you never know when they'll go. You may want to mention this to your dealer. Maybe it'll give them a clue. Other than this happening, the car is awesome. We love it. Have a nice holiday and good luck. "
    --------------end quote-----------------
    So much for electric steering being more reliable. Oh well. I would rather have a little less gas mileage and better steering assist.

Loren
  • Options
    I received an update...as of Friday afternoon they ordered everything in order to replace the steering column in my G6, hopefully this will resolve the power steering issues...
  • Options
    Who makes the EPS for the G6?
  • Options
    Delphi is supplier of steering column which includes the electrical assist components
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    wvmartywvmarty Member Posts: 2
    On my first go around the dealership said the wiring was routed too tight and they rechanneled it. The problem repeated itself. About a month ago they replaced the entire steering module and it seems to have fixed the problem. I was without the car for a week. I have to tell you that once the steering goes out on you, even after they fix it, every single time you enter a curve it is in the back of your mind. I love the car but it takes something away from the drive when you have to worry that the steering will go out!! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. mawmarty@hotmail.com
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Better yet, let's discuss whatever questions folks might have right here - that way the exchange benefits the entire community. :)
  • Options
    Also not the best idea to post your e:mail address out in the open like that
  • Options
    I got my G6 back last Wednesday, I had been without it for a week as well while they were replacing the steering column. The car seems to be handling really well and I have yet to experience any problems, but I have to agree, once you lose your steering in your vehicle more than once, you are a bit edgy as to if and when it might happen again, especially when you have kids in the back seat. I love my G6 and have no other complaints now that the steering seems to have been resolved, but I can't say that I am 100% comfortable driving it, regardless of the work they performed.
  • Options
    1blackg61blackg6 Member Posts: 2
    hey bytor1,

I have a 2005 G6 GT also. Just turned 2000 miles. I had the same problem with my starter. Like you it only happened one time. I thought I was hearing something...have you found anything out about this problem??
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I believe this is a feature on GM cars. I do not believe the starter is actually cranking AFTER the engine starts. On my Montana I am so used to it starting instantly after turning the key I let go of it w/o listening for the engine to start. Sometimes the engine has not quite started as I let go of the key but it continues to crank until the engine starts. I will try and see if this is what is really happening the next time it does it.

Cars sure are not like they used to be!!! On my 62 I have to set the choke by pumping the gas pedal, turn over the engine and pump the gas to get it into the carb. Of course the car is not run every day so it takes a few trys to get it going.
  • Options
    ryanrsxryanryanrsxryan Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is anyway to take out the factory stereo deck without hurting the car (by taking out the DIC). I have found a fit kit that has the DIC in it (from the new catalog of metraonline.com) but I can't find it anywhere (except on a website that looks really crappy that hasn't emailed me back after my question 2 weeks ago). So basically any information that anyone has about removing the factory deck would be much appreciated. Thanks.

btw, the part is Metra 99-3303.
  • Options
    1blackg61blackg6 Member Posts: 2
    This is exactly what I think the problem is too. It starts so quickly. I just figured I was turning the key after the engine turned over.

If it happens again I'll post another message.
  • Options
    GM vehicles also have a feature that keeps you from cranking the starter once it is started.
  • Options
    lampoonlampoon Member Posts: 3
    I have a loaner 2005 Grand Prix and I can not receive any of the AM stations that
    I can receive in my F-150. I listen to AM while the car is warming up early in the morning in my driveway. Scan wont even pick it up. It acts like there is no antenna. I hope my G6 wont be that way!! I should have it this week. Electric blue with everything but leather!! Im excited. :)
  • Options
    feelfroogyfeelfroogy Member Posts: 5
    I read all these postings, and I get a little confused sometimes. I am thinking about moving from a SUV back to a Pontiac. Good idea? Or is there alot of problems since it is new, and I should wait? Looking at several different ideas, but couple of new GM's are making me concerned about buying new again....Does it drive good like the grand am did...good handling?...good gas mileage?...Any info I can get would be great. Thanks!!! :D
  • Options
    The G6 just got #1 on the JD Power APEAL survey in the entry mid size segment. The study, now in its 10th year, measures owners’ delight with the design, content, layout and performance of their new vehicles. So if you like the G6 enough to buy it and own it for awhile you are much happier with your purchase than purchasers of other car models. This is not a quality survey.

Here is a link to the #1 winners in each segment.
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/apealbuyerprofiles/

I am aware of no quality issues except a few complaints here about the electric steering system. And you can read thru the above to find any others. The Malibu which is based on the same G6 architecture is rated #1 for Initial and quality at 3 years in the entry midsize segment so the G6 should be similar when results are available next year.
  • Options
    Which of the new GM products are making you worried? Seems like every new model GM is putting out lately has been doing well with quality. The new LaCrosse is #4 for initial quality under the Impala/Century/Grand Prix with the Camry and Accord somewhere below it. Expect to see the LaCrosse do even better next year.
  • Options
    Just buy a Pontiac used in two years and get it for 40 to 50% off. That's the real deal.
    The hottest is the Solstice Coupe, which is coming out maybe next year??? The G6 Coupe looks OK, especially for those in want of a FWD car. Pretty good looks. The new Honda Civic should look hot too.

Loren
  • Options
    Not everyone wants to wait to get a car. Some people want to own a model before everyone else has one. I think it's well established that a used car is cheaper than a new one. The problem with waiting two or three years is that the new models that year will have all types of additonal features that you want and then you will end up not getting the cheaper late model used car.

I doubt people looking a the G6 coupe are looking at the civic coupe.
  • Options
    You can get a base 2.4L G6 for not much more than a Civic.
  • Options
    midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    3/5 might be enough to keep the GM faithful in the fold but it won't win any conquest sales from the foreign brands:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/pontiac/g6/100533506/ratings_jdpower.html?tid=edmunds.n.ra- tings.ratingsbody..5.Pontiac*
  • Options
    theoracletheoracle Member Posts: 2
    G'day group - new kid on the block here... I purchased my G6 GT back in March of this year. Got ALL the bells & whistles on her. I call her The Oracle. Black with black leather, panoramic sunroof, Monsoon system, remote start, etc... I virtually have not one complaint, but this one:

I have the reoccurring problem of having to reattach or refasten the plastic air dam (beneath the front bumper area) into its plastic housing. It's construction is undeniably cheap first of all. I knew the car sat low when I purchased it. I now avoid parking blocks like the plague. Any subtle scrape on ANY material & as soon as I realize it, I am back on the ground backing out the cheap plastic molly-screws only to reattach the air foil & again tighten the molly-screws until the next encounter.

You'll pardon me if this has already been posted, but I couldn't locate it anywhere. I have considered replacing the molly-screws with a stronger material, but didn't know if alteration would void the warranty.

I haven't taken it into the dealership since my first dealership encounter (the day after I brought her home). Examining the heat shield under the hood, I found what appeared to be a finger hole in the shield. Note to self - always examine every-thing before it leaves the lot. I could only imagine the dealership telling me to be more careful & avoid scraping the front end of the car. Heck, the car is so new - I wanted to spend some quality time with it, even though I was on my back beneath it in lieu of behind the wheel.

Sorry, I am very long winded. If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be most appreciative.