Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You can haggle at Chevy and not at Saturn, so I bet the 'nox will be cheaper once you deal, plus it's roomier so it might be a much better value in the end.

-juice
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Jerry: The LT/AWD with a few options will probably run at least 25K. Seeing all production is comming out of one plant in Canada, there will be little excess supply in the spring/summer. So no cash back /interest discounts unless GM has an across the board deal going on. Leftover '03 Trailblazers could be had for less then that if you believe the newspaper adds.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    That still doesn't sound like too bad a deal. Especially if you consider that to compare this to one of the Malubus would probably best be the Maxx LT. Add 1K for the AWD hardware (guesstimating the cost for that over the FWD setup), and you still come out ahead at 25 or 26K. (Lack of incentives is something I'll deal with, since it could mean it retains resale value better)

In any case, since my SO will have the final say, I can only add the car to the list of "to look ats". Since there are also Toyota Sienna minivans on this list, not to mention 4Runners, I think the cost of a fairly well equipped 'nox might be getting off cheaply for me. (yes, a fairly wide mix of vehicles. If it has enough space for everyday transportation of 2 adults and 2 children, plus room for groceries, she's probably looking at it :P)
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Yes, you can deal at a Chevy dealer and if you figure you can typically get 6-10% off it's will be a nice price for sure. I would not expect to see any big deals on the NOX till the fall if you are lucky. I think demand will be very strong, it's a beautiful truck.

I'm hoping a base 2WD LT will be around C$30K (U$21-22K). If I could buy for around $27K and get an ok financing deal I would be real happy. It would be cheaper than a V6 VUE.
    And better looking too! :D I don't know about anyone else, but the front-end on the Vue just turns me off. I'm glad Chevy didn't do that styling mistake to the 'nox.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    GM had one parked outside Union Station this morning....looks good "in the flesh". Their website is up with limited info.

www.equinox.gmcanada.com
    I saw it in the flesh back in February at the Toronto Auto Show. It's a beautiful truck, best in looks no doubt about it. It's also a touch wider, longer but shorter than the VUE which hopefully means a little more room inside and an improved center of gravity.

Wonder why they had one at Union? Is it just for today?

I will likely be downtown later in the week so I could drive by when I get off the Gardiner.
    The 'Nox was parked in the open area between where you walk out from Union and go into the subway, so you won't see it from the road. I'll check & see if it's still there on the way home tonight. They were handing out little cards with a picture & the website address but the truck itself (silver,of course) was all locked up.
    Styling is far better than the Vue, I agree.

Wonder if they'll have a version with the Honda V6, like the Vue?

At least Chevy is differentiating it better than they will with the minivans.

-juice
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    to the general. GM's best prediction for all 4 mini-vans is 250k sales per year.

GM figures to to sell near to 200k 'Noxs per year. Add the 65+k Vues it is moving, and you have more sales for more profitable vehicles.
  • nick29nick29 Member Posts: 19
    Dont forget to account for the Pontiac version which is also joining the theta platfrom.
    ateixeira : No Honda V6 ever in the NOX. Engine swap deal (for transmissions) is for 5 years only with Saturn.

logic : You got that right. Cute ute market is growing (faster than any other segment), van market is shrinking. Guess where the more money will go??

nick : Pontiac and Chevy versions are going to be the bigger volume models. It will be interesting to see if GM does anything different with them vs. Saturn/Buick versions.
    It will be interesting to see how it looks.

Heck, if Pontiac can move near to 100k, then the Theta family is selling almost equal to half of the entire mini-van market.
    GM doesn't and has never sold many Olds vans and I think the market for Buick and Saturn will be small. Chevy and Pontiac are key for sure. I think Pontiac even keeps the name Montana so a similar and evolutionary design to what they have now would be a good thing IMO. I think Montana is one of the better looking vans out there.

I wonder if there will be any other versions of the VUE/NOX in the future?
    maybe I am getting my platform names confused. When I refered to the Theta Pontiac, what I meant to say is that I read today Pontiac is considering a version of the Nox/Vue.
    I also heard Suzuki's next XL-7 would be based on the Equinox....no confirmation from GM or Suzuki on that as yet. I wonder if it would still be a 7 seater?
    Yes thats right, I did read that somewhere. XL-7 is very dated. Suzuki would do well with this GM product though I wonder if it will use it's own engine.
    The Nox would probably be lengthened just like the Trailblazer LT was for a 3rd row. The Zuki's 2.7L V6 has less torque then the old 3.4L Chevy block. Probably a good candidate for the 3.5L.
    I hope this pushrod engine is smooth feeling. I'm a bit pampered by the i6 in the Trailblazer now, and along with the great looks of this new ute, I'd really like a smooth, quiet, but still decently powerful feeling engine. OMG, I'm starting to sound like.. erm, nevermind.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    hmmmmmm.........
    Color pallet up on the chevy web site for the Nox.
    Prices announced next week.
    Hehe. Thought that'd get your attention reg. I don't totally disagree with you on the issue of pushrod versus OHC. I just think that for a lot of people shopping certain segments of the market, it's pretty irrelevant so long as the car has decent go (especially since pushrod refinement is improving a lot lately).

Anyway, I definitely understand where you're coming from, because in the last decade OHC engines have had a much better NVH history. I just think you really need to try out the car / engine before condemning it.

So, can we call it a truce on the arguing? For my part, and in the interests of Peace and Goodwill during the holidays, I apologize for my offensive rhetoric toward you.

Now back to the Equinox discussion. I think I've managed to bring the new Bu and the Nox to the top of my wife's must-look lists. If the nox ends up with a remote start feature available by the time we're ready to buy (don't recall if it's in the options list from that link or not right now), she'll end up with one. If it doesn't, but she can get it dealer-installed relatively inexpensively, it'll likely be her first choice.

Otherwise the Malibu would probably be her first choice. The reason that remote start is so attractive to her is that I'm military, and there's a good chance that whatever housing we end up in at our next station won't have a garage. Being able to start the car and have it warm inside before she gets in it is a nice perk (said this over on one of the Malibu topics too).
    Sedan or Maxx? The Maxx would seem like a good compromise between the sedan and SUV.

-juice
    Remote starter option was only C$220 on the Bu drove, very reasonable!

Don't think the NOX has the option. Maxx would indeed be a compromise.
    Right now the sedan. She hasn't seen the Maxx yet. Once she does, if she likes the look of it, I'm sure it'll be her choice, but if not, it's back to choosing between the Nox (w/dealer added remote start) or the Malibu Sedan.
    The Maxx can have a DVD player for the rear seat, if you have kids to appease.

-juice
    I saw a local dealer is advertising the NOX will arrive in February. I guess they are expecting product very soon after they start building.

Can't wait!!
    no skin off my back...i don't ever consider anything to be personal.

my fervent lukewarmness towards the general's OHV mills is based upon many drives in many different GM cars including very recent ones, and also my owning and test driving exposure to many OHC powered cars. I find it really enhances driving to have the engine with superior operating characteristics.

The basics of my argument are that while fine for many, it would serve the general quite well to at least offer as an option the choice of a 'higher feature' engine that can truly be on par with the competition. I do not see cost as a valid argument against doing so because all of the other competitors seem to able to offer such a thing standard or optional for less money, equal money or not that much more money.

And GM is a volume manufacturer and should not so actively exclude that segment of the market. It would upgrade the public's perception of GM was willing to be among the leaders in technology if they did so as well.

I respect that others are totally fine with what the general offers but I really think their v6 engine choices have been deficient for an extraordinarily long period of time. My opinion, perhaps, but I stick with it. Even if the pushrod design works great on the v8's the v6's have not received the same level of attention in engineering and refinement.

Sure the Gm v6's get good mileage. They have decent reliability. There is a part of the buying public that wants more than that bare minimum requirement. They want the tech. They want the extra smoothness and pleasing engine sound. They want the motor that doesn't seem winded in the upper ranges. They are willing to pay more money for it. GM excludes these people. Or has.........its like computers....I am sure there are those out there that will only buy an Intel computer. My last 2 computers are AMD so I am open minded. But folks want what they want.

So I'm never looking to spar, I just think its a major oversight for the general to be that pigheaded and not at least offer the choice. A car like the new Grand Prix and Malibu would be looked upon more highly if it had a premium engine available.

Maybe for an Equinox its not a big deal, I dunno. Let's see how the Honda Vue is received........vs. the nox motor.
    You're dealer might get a pre-production model that came off an auto expo that probably has no engine, etc. Production is not starting until March. You'll get the sales material and the web site in Feb. Chevy has always gotten the short end on engines. The Nox will sell on looks. Chevy won't throw an OHC engine in there until sales start dropping off in a few years. I doubt the Honda engine deal will be renewed after 3 years. The Vue will be re designed and capacity of OHC 3.6L engines will probably be plentiful by then. GM is waking up and starting to use resources in it's Europe and Asia subsidiaries. Saturn L replacement will be Opel based right?
    "A car like the new Grand Prix and Malibu would be looked upon more highly if it had a premium engine available"

I would agree with you if more than 5 or 10% of the general public even knew the size of engine under their hoods. Fact is they don't and so your comments don't wash. Take a new 3.5L Malibu for a spin someday.

joey : I thought production wasn't suppose to start till March. I remember Saturn had test drives of VUEs before production started so maybe Chevy will do the same.
    The pontiac theta (pontiac torrent?)will get the 3.9L. What do you guys think of this engine?
    You're talking about an engine thats larger then what's in a Lesabre/Bonneville now. Won't fit.
    Remember the Vue/Nox are not wide platforms. The 3.6L seems a better choice, but I'd bet on the pushrod 3.5L, if it's still around. Where's all this rumor on the Pontiac Theta? I doubt GM will consider it unless the Nox has great sale numbers. Then you won't see it until '06 or '07.

Dindak: There must be at least 10 times the number of Chevy dealers compared to Saturn dealers. They'd need a whole month of production just to get 1 unit to each dealer.
    Stated that way, I agree wholeheartedly reg. I know I personally don't mind the Malibu with the pushrod 3.5l that's in it now, but if there was a relatively low cost upgrade to an OHC 6, I'd seriously consider that too.

The Equinox would probably be an even better choice for an engine such as this, due to the larger size and increased weight vs. the sedans. I'm sure that owners will find themselves winding the engine up a bit more to get up to speed in the heavier vehicle, and the smoother OHC characteristics (obvious generalization here) would seem to be more at home in those situations. That was probably my only real annoyance with my 1997 Malibu- any time I wound the engine up, it was extremely noisy. It's also what I really like about my Trailblazer (it is still noisy, but not in an unpleasant way, unlike the 3100 in the old Bu).

At any rate, as joey2brix points out, Chevy always gets the short end of the stick in the cars when it comes to engine selection. It's pretty much the bottom rung of the GM ladder, and putting one of the more advanced tech engines in it limits the choices for the other brands, which GM seems to always want a one-up engine choice available for (to justify the increased prices over the Chevy clones). Granted, this doesn't apply to the trucks (except for Cadillac, which definitely goes larger), but that's because GMC is really only a luxury version of the real GM truck, the real GM truck being the Chevrolet..
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Well I just got a brochure and CD from Chevy about the Equinox. I haven't looked at the CD but the brochure has design sketches and the like in it. It's cool enough. The letter also said that Chevy dealers are now starting to take orders for the Nox.
    jerrywimer : Oddly enough, the new Chevy Cobalt will get the brand new state of the art 2.4L 170 hp Ecotec with VVT come the fall. I suspect it will find it's way into the Malibu next fall also. I am hoping the NOX will get a 3.5L upgrade in 06 but I doubt it as it seems there is Chinese deal on the power plant here.

joey : Luckily I won't be in the market till the fall at the earliest so I can wait for some good NOX supply.
    That's good, because after driving the 'bu with the V6 and the current Ecotec back-to-back, I would not even consider the 4. The V6 is even fuel efficient, so you basically don't trade off anything except a little extra cost.

-juice
    Apparently G.M. reps announced the theta based SUV at the Boston auto show back in November. I cant recall the specs. But as I understand it the 3.9L displacement is new. Perhaps your thinking of the current 3.9L. A good resource is CheersAndGears web site. Watch the NAIAS in January.
    I'll be there January 6th, during the industry preview days. :-)

I'll try to take pics and grab as much info as possible.

-juice
    "Fact is they don't"

depends if they are shopping GM only or all brands in general.
    Whatever you want to believe.
  • zapcatzapcat Member Posts: 64
    Anybody know if the NOX will get Electronic Stability Control (ESC) ?
    But doesn't it look like another slap a new body on a Yukon ala Hummer H2? Another GM missed the boat example. Just take a look at how DC is drowning in PT cruisers. The fad's over, move on and put some real proto-types into production. There was an article in the NYT on how the PT, Thunderbird and New Beetle are piling up at the dealerships. Looks like when you make fashion cars they go out of style just as quick as clothes.
    Actually, I still very much like the PT. I would have bot one if my wife liked them.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Yeah, it probably should have its own thread. It had one a few months back. You can make one if you want. Personally, I think it's pointless. They should have just made a Cobalt 5-door instead of engineering and devloping this expensive rero thing. It's big too.
    Is always listed as a 2003. Probably won't be built past the original production run. If these fashion cliche cars can be built cheaply off an existing platform, OK. But I'd rather see R&D money go into bringing the G6 to market as shown, not a rehashed Grand Prix. Aero designs are still timeless, along with cab forward and moving the suspension out to the far corners of the car. The Buick Lacrosse has too much retro lines to it, while the Centieme has the aero lines and added functionality of a crossover like the Nissan Murano.
    Murano is ugly. Still can't get used to it. Not a big fan of the new Nissans. Hope they don't screw up the next Pathfinder as I like that one.

SSR is nice. Saw one last week. Limited production vehcile so they aren't expecting a lot of sales. Just a halo vehicle.

The Chevy PT copy should be scrapped though. No point to it.
    I'm with you, dindak. The only real issue I see with the SSR is the price, but then, as you say, it's intended to be a halo vehicle.

I think the Equinox styling is very good, especially compared to the fugly Murano (the front end and the rear quarter windows on the Murano are what really turn me off).
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    LS $21560
    LT $23275

A little higher than I would have thought. Especially since the FWD VUE with the 3.5 V6 starts at $22885. Although the Equinox probably has incentive built into the pricing structure.
    New Pathfinder will be in Detroit.

Nox is bigger, and when rebates come it'll sell for less than the Vue. It's so much better looking price may not even matter.

-juice