Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tychaptychap Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading for a couple months now and have begun the task of internet negotiating. I received an OTD price from one dealership and have used it to negotiate with two other dealerships closer to my home. They have both agreed to meet or beat it. My question is this - do I now visit both dealerships and try to get them lower? Do I let them know I'm negotiating with another? How far can I really go with this? Also, I have a trade that I haven't mentioned yet. Do I do this via e-mail or drive it to each dealership and see who offers more? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. BTW, my OTD price is $25,466 with no dealer add-ons.
  • Options
    finbar_oharafinbar_ohara Member Posts: 29
    Hi tychap- I am in Michigan and buying soon an I am at the selling price of 25,5xx.00 for an EX-L AWD. That puts me around 27,000 OTD. If you have 25,466 OTD (Tax, etc included) for an EX-L 4WD, you have a great deal. I plan to buy next week and I'll post what I price I get.

fin
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The best suggestion is to wait 1 or 2 years till you can grind a better deal on a hot seller like the CRV.
  • Options
    slisstudentslisstudent Member Posts: 40
    Of the three D/FW area Honda lots that I visted, all - except for one - CR-V's were loaded with overpriced and in some cases, useless/worthless dealer add-ons. Even the '07 Accords, which they are trying to clear out for the new '08's - were loaded with additional dealer add-ons.

The other reason I'm responding is to encourage you all to do your research before you purchase your new/used auto. Use the Internet, e.g. Edmunds, KBB, etc. But also remember to use your public library.

Most public libraries subscribe to the print version of the NADA guide (yellow), the NADA also exists for motorcycles, mobile homes, rv's, etc . The main/central libraries tend to have additional materials, such as the New Car Cost Guide, which lists the MSRP and invoice for each OEM's option for each make and model. Ask the reference librarian at your local public library to inquire about these materials and/or any other materials they may have.

Do your research and become an informed consumer.

Fight the power!
  • Options
    oireachtasoireachtas Member Posts: 8
    I am in North Carolina.
  • Options
    tgeniustgenius Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody, I'm new to the Edmunds forums, but I'm looking for a Black/Black Leather EX-L or EX-L w/Navi. I've sent emails out to a bunch of dealers and I've gotten the following:

$24295 for an EX-L w/Dest needs TTL

I've been quoted $26,600 OTD for an EX-L

I've been quoted $28589 OTD for an EX-L w/Navi

Now doing my calculations, the 24200 is the best to begin with, but does anyone know of a dealer in Miami/Ft Lauderdale where they got a better deal? I sent that 24200 to all the dealers to see if anyone is going to come under, but in a worst case I will take that as my starting point to negotiate with.

Thanks!
  • Options
    starchild4starchild4 Member Posts: 8
    Do CRV's pull to the right w/the Crown of ther road or are they out-of-line? We just purchased the 2007 in March and can't seem to get the problem resolved. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    oireachtasoireachtas Member Posts: 8
    I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend and whether you enjoy the process or want to make it as painless as possible. I started by deciding what my target price was ( 200-300 over invoice). I decided I would be satisfied if I could get a deal in that range. I then emailed area dealers as well as a couple farther away but that I would be willing to travel to if the price was right. Got what I thought was a very good deal from a dealer about 300 miles away.I called local dealers and told them what they needed to beat. If they said they wouldn't I checked them off my list. One dealer came back 200 under my best offer. This was about 200 over invoice. Now I could have continued to haggle with numerous dealers and maybe gotten 50 dollars more off, But this whole process really only took about an hour of actual time from me. I guess what I'm saying is decide what you think is a good, fair price and if you get it be happy instead of eating your self up looking to see if there is something better. Also base this on OTD price. I didn't care if they charged 300 or 100 for "documentation fee" as long as they had a better bottom line. Also once I made my deal over the phone with the folks who beat my target price, I didn't bother responding to the dealers who told me that no one would meet my price (but were calling me now to see if they could get back in the game). I stayed with the folks who made a great deal without trying to have me jump through hoops!
  • Options
    rwg1rwg1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I am on the Cape. Can you tell me the name of the Boston dealership you mention? I would love to find a CRV EX AWD for $22,700. I am new to this forum, first time reading and sending a reply. Not sure how it works. Are you able to tell me the dealership name and location?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    hgivenhgiven Member Posts: 4
    Hi ptaske,

I'm looking to buy a CR-V AWD LX very soon in New Jersey. If you could send me that dealer list and anything else that would help I would greatly appreciate it. I was thinking about doing carsdirect but reading through this forum has got me thinking I can do better.

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    pktaskepktaske Member Posts: 14
    sure. email?
  • Options
    macfonmacfon Member Posts: 2
    Chris,

Try Baytown Honda. I sent quote to half dozen Houston Honda Dealers a couple weeks ago and settled on Baytown Honda this Wednesday. I got a LX with the color that I want, Glacier Blue, at $950 over invoice, NO DEALER ADD ON and a couple freebie; door edge guard, trunk floor mat. My LX OTD price is $22250. I got my car out in less than 2 hours. No hassle from the sale or business manager. You can see the current CRV model available inventory from the web site http://www.baytownhonda.net. I suggest you start with $750 over invoice and negotiate from there. Good Luck!
  • Options
    jinaaajinaaa Member Posts: 2
    When you are referring to the invoice price, are you including the destination fee?
  • Options
    To: Hewf
    Would you mind telling me the name of the boston dealership that offered 22,400 for CR-V EX AWD? I am looking for that price range. What is your experience with you CR-V now? Did you end up purchasing one?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    tampafredtampafred Member Posts: 7
    Hey tgenius, I'm up in Gainesville so I can't speak to any dealerships in the Miami area. But if you're best price for an EX-L is $24,200 (assuming that includes delivery fee and any additional dealer fee), that's pretty good, based on the quotes I'm getting.

I contacted the Internet sales dept at a few dealerships in Orlando and Jacksonville as well as the only one here in Gainesville. I also got a quote through Sam's Club. What I find is that in addition to the price for the car, they ALL include an additional "dealer fee" that has varied from $299 to $798. So make sure you ask about ALL the fees that they intend to charge as part of the total price.

That said, the quotes I'm getting (excluding sales tax, tag and title, but including delivery fee and dealership fees) range from $24,953 to $25,598. The best price so far is from the dealership affiliated with Sam's Club. So if you're getting a quote for $24,200 and don't have to pay a dealer fee on top of that, you're getting much mo' better offer than I've been able to get. In fact, if I can get an EX-L that cheap, it might be worth driving to Miami for.

If anyone has any suggests for me about getting a more competitive price, I'd love to hear them.
  • Options
    hgivenhgiven Member Posts: 4
    Sure, its integr8or@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    steltmansteltman Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

Just wondering what you think of the price quote I've been offered from a local dealership. Price for a EX 2WD out the door, $25,500. Only had one dealership respond with a quote, waiting for others to reply...

Thanks
  • Options
    flyeagleflyeagle Member Posts: 4
    macfon,

thank you so much for your information. Could you leave me your email address? so I can ask you more questions?

based on edmunds, the invoice price is $19,164. what invoice price do you have?

Thanks

Chris
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Everyone has an Carspace email address. Just go up to the upper right corner of the screen and hit the button called "mailbox".
  • Options
    macfonmacfon Member Posts: 2
    My invoice from is around $20710, included Destination Charge.
  • Options
    flyeagleflyeagle Member Posts: 4
    macfon,

could you check your carspace email? or could you send an email to xxxyyy_abcd@yahoo.com?

thanks,
  • Options
    Can anyone help me? Looking for CR-V EX for under 23,000. Anyone know any good dealerships in the Cape - Boston area?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    rwg1
  • Options
    bharath_kbharath_k Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

Can you anyone post the price you purchased a CRV in Indianapolis area...
  • Options
    rrajrraj Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the Edmunds forums, but I'm looking for a Black/Black Leather EX-L. I've sent emails out to a bunch of dealers for 26*** and 27*** with all Charges included.

Does anyone know of a dealer in St Louis, MO where they got a better deal so that I can have a Touch base with the dealer ASAP to get best out of it in negotiating?

Thanks!
    Raj
  • Options
    fac1fac1 Member Posts: 4
    I paid $23000 (with body side molding) for 2007 CRV-EX-AWD in Chicago area. I picked up the car last week. :)
  • Options
    jinaaajinaaa Member Posts: 2
    I paid $21,300 + TTL + Tax in Seattle WA
    Is this a reasonable deal for a LX model?
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I too have the urge but I wander about depreciation since
    the production is way up. I bought a 2006 Civic new and saw
    all the ads about retaining it's value but that is BULL.
    It has lost 1/4 it's value in under a year! I would try
    to sell it to get $16500 but then I would not have wheels to get to work.So I am stuck with a :mad: car that get 30mpg
    but is so low I have trouble getting out of cause I am OLD!
    What to do?
  • Options
    ra_1976ra_1976 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Can you get me the exact breakdown of what you paid and what the dealer initially offered. This will help me to decide what the dealer says and from where i can start a good bargain. I am also looking for a CRV-EX L (leather).

Thansk in advance..
  • Options
    ra_1976ra_1976 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Can someone help me in getting a good deal for CRV-EX L model prices in NJ/NY area. I mean, which are the dealers who give the best prices. If possible, can include PA also as its not very far for me.. Thanks in advance,
    my email: meetraaj@gmail.com
  • Options
    calvinwleecalvinwlee Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    geraldnewgeraldnew Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new CRV EXL for 250 over invoice in northern Wi. Maybe could have done better but happy with deal.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I too have the urge but I wander about depreciation since
    the production is way up. I bought a 2006 Civic new and saw
    all the ads about retaining it's value but that is BULL.
    It has lost 1/4 it's value in under a year! I would try
    to sell it to get $16500 but then I would not have wheels to get to work.So I am stuck with a car that get 30mpg
    but is so low I have trouble getting out of cause I am OLD!
    What to do?

Were you much younger when you bought it in 2006? :confuse:
    Did you test drive it before buying? :confuse:

Any car will lose most of its value in the first 2 years. I have had good luck with Civics.

I bought a 1999 Civic EX in the fall of 1999 for $15,000 drove it for 2 years and sold it for $12,000. Then I had a CR-V, which was stolen.

Then I had a 2002 Civic Si. Bought it new for $14,500, drove for 2.5 years and sold it for $12,500.

Had I held on to those cars for 2 more years, the resale value wouldn't have changed much. Check resale on 3-4 year old Civics, and they are not too far from what your 1 year old is worth now.
  • Options
    armandlevarmandlev Member Posts: 6
    I am buying the CR-V tonight and wondered if anyone has been able to switch out the XM for Sirius with an aftermarket product. Let me know if anyone has been able to do this.
  • Options
    rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Just purchased my new Tango Red EX-L 4WD w/navigation last night. Absolutely love it. I paid exactly $1K under MSRP ($27,595). That includes freight, but is before tax and tags. May not be the lowest price people have got, but I did have a trade, so I'm sure that reduced negotiating power. Plus, it's a hard to find color and there were only 2 EX-L CRVs on the lot. So, I'm happy with the final price. Got mine from Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, VA. Very good to deal with. Happy experience.

Wasn't going to get Nav, but the PC Card on the Nav is a blessing in disguise. Just loaded a 4GB Compact Flash Card with 980 songs and the quality of the sound is unbelievably awesome. Plus, it displays the Title, Artist and Album information on the display. It's like having a 4GB iPod attached to the system, and it only cost me $60 for the card and adapter. I had no idea going into this purchase that the PC Card would be the best thing I love about the CRV.
  • Options
    parmarparmar Member Posts: 17
    $23000 OTD or sell price? Does sell price include destination?
  • Options
    bharath_kbharath_k Member Posts: 7
    IS it AWD EX-L or AWD EX??
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Although I think I want a CRV the price of gas is unknown
    so the prudent thing to do is think European, Which means small cars with sub 2 liter engines.If I could only
    convince my wife that a commanding view of the road ala SUV
    is not cheap.I like my Civic for it's roller skate
    handling and gas sipping ways if only it was a little higher.I had an 02 Crv for 40k miles but the materials
    were cheap and the interior looked thread bare,has any thing changed.My Highlander that replaced it still looks new
    after 50k miles. :P
  • Options
    ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    Which combo pc card and cf card are you using for 60 dollars ? Which USB to CF card adaptor are you using ?

Thanks
  • Options
    First, you have to purchase a Compact Flash PC Card adapter that will accomodate the Compact Flash Card. I bought a SanDisk Compact Flash PC card adapter. I bought mine online at Amazon for just $13 plus shipping if you're order is under $25.:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B9QM/ref=wl_it_dp/002-5210031-8757617?ie=- - - - - - UTF8&coliid=IRAFX5GGS0M3T&colid=26Y32XARVEUFZ

Then, you need a Compact Flash card. Honda will tell you that they have only tested 1GB or 2GB cards. However, I bought a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III Compact Flash card online at Adorama Camera for $70 plus shipping. There is currently a $30 rebate through 5/31/07:

http://www.adorama.com/IDSCF4GE3.html?searchinfo=4gb%20extreme%20iii%20compact%2- - - - - - 0flash&item_no=2

A 4GB card is exactly what you want to use because is perfect for storing about 999 mp3 files on it, which is the limit that Honda recognizes. Also, this particular card is extreme rated for low/high temperatures (-13F to 185F), so you can leave it in your car year-round without worrying you'll damage the card.

My computer has a 9-1 Memory Card reader, so I just inserted the 4GB Compact Flash card in the reader and copied all my songs to the card. I didn't even create any folders. I just loaded all my songs in the main root directory.

When you load the PC Card into the stereo, it may take up to a minute to load. When it starts, set your play mode to Artist. I always use random mode, so it will randomly cycle through all 999 songs.

The screen will also display both the FILENAME and ARTIST on the screen. Note that I didn't say TITLE. That's because for some reason, Honda will only display the FILENAME. Because the display uses such big lettering, I went back and changed all my filenames so that the Title displays first (i.e. Piano Man - Billy Joel.mp3).

The reason you still want the Artist in the filename is because when you do a song search by keyword, the keyword search is by FILENAME. Therefore, as long as you have both the title and artist in the file name, you can do keyword searches on both.

Hope this information helps. If you do what I did, you'll have the equivilent of a 4GB iPOD Nano permanently connected to your stereo with even better search capabilities than the iPod has. Oh, and did I mention that the sound quality is freakin' awesome!!!

Good Luck
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    that a commanding view of the road ala SUV
    is not cheap

I ride a motorcyle in the summer. I can see over the tops of many cars out there, but not over the tops of SUVs. So, riding a bike is like driving an SUV, you see over the tops of cars. Sell your wife on that idea. :D
  • Options
    10041004 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,
    I just received a quote for $26,795 OTD on 2WD EX-L in one of the houston area dealership, What do you think about this quote?
  • Options
    Without knowing the Houston market or what the taxes are in your state its hard for me to judge how good it is for your area. Based on my recent Florida experiences (I've been negotiating with a few dealers this week for a 2WD EX-L) I would say it's not a bad deal but not a super great deal. It doesn't sound too unreasonable for north central Florida.

My best OTD offer right now is about $100 less than your offer but other OTD prices I've received have been considerably ($500 or more) higher.

That said, I've heard of people getting better deals than mine in some parts of the country. But I don't live in those areas. I figure thata at the price they want me to pay they are going to make about 5.7% profit. I've heard that the minimum decent profit that a car dealer wants is around 3%. Given that these cars seem to be selling very well, I'm not sure I'm going to get a much better price around the small town I live in.
  • Options
    10041004 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Tamprfred
    Taxes rate in Texas is 6.25%
    $26,790 OTD also include some accessories (spash guards, wheel locks, floor mats and windows tint).
  • Options
    Just wait if you can. The prices will come down in a year or so and the car will better built w/ an an AVTEC engine.
  • Options
    I'm curious why do you believe that CR-V prices will come down in a year. Also, the CR-V has the i-VTEC engine. What is the AVTEC engine and why is it better?

I could wait longer but not sure I want to. I'm driving a 1990 Nissan truck right now. Runs OK but has a small oil leak near the top of the engine, so when I stop at a traffic light, this really cool smoke slowly drizzles out from under the hood. Really impresses everyone who see it. The smoke smells great too.Not sure I want to give 'er up yet.....
  • Options
    This is like the 2nd or 3rd post like this recently that says to wait a year or two for prices to come down.

But the people here want to research what the best prices they can find and what people think about the driving experience of the vehicle, NOW.

No one needs to be reminded that prices will eventually come down, and most people doing the research don't have a year or two to wait.
  • Options
    The AVTEC engine he was referring to is Honda's recent announcement about an Advanced VTEC engine, set to debut within 3 years. Here's a good article on it. However, don't expect that the CR-V would necessarily be the first vehicle to get it.

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/09/26/honda-announces-advanced-vtec-engine-avtec/
  • Options
    vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    The 2008 Accord will be the first to get the A-VTEC engine. It's possible by 09 it will be offered in other lines, including the CR-V. Also the 2.2l i-CDi Diesel hopefully will be here by that time.

I purchased my 07 CR-V at Baytown Honda. Check out http://www.baytownhonda.net They gave me a great deal, $250 over invoice. I have noticed their inventory is low so they are dealing. Good luck..
  • Options
    Prices relative to MSRP usually get lower as the buzz about a new model lessens over time. AVTEC makes about 20 more hp and torque and gets about 3 mpg more from the same displacement. A diesel is also coming w/ 250 ft pounds. Agree maybe you can't wait. In the meantime, just tell your buds you got the truck from Jeff Gordon. :)
  • Options
    You only know your personal situation. You don't know any other person's situation. If you don't like my posts don't read them. Btw you paid too much for your car.