Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    That's why depreciation matters even if you plan to keep your vehicle for a long time. Congrats on your new 'V.
  • angkaysangkays Member Posts: 3
    thanks.. yeah, insurance gave me $16,000 for a 2000 EX with 48,000mi, it had new tires, remote starter, & tinted windows that factored into the price too.. after tax, i'll have over $17,000!

how well it held its value was a huge factor in buying another! plus, i had little to no complaints about my former one.
  • areelgeekareelgeek Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am in the market for a CRV and went to my local honda dealer (zip 20852)

The offered me the 2WD 2004 CRV Automatic for 19,559 out the door including freight,tax, title and tags. I thought it was a good deal but this was the very first offer from the dealer so i wasn't sure if it was there starting point or if it was a legitmate good offer on their part. any thoughts?
  • tommydtommyd Member Posts: 10
    I had an 18889 OTD deal offered by Herson's Honda 10 days ago. IF I had been closer to their dealership, I would have gone there.
  • areelgeekareelgeek Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info Tommyd. thats the same dealer I am negotiating with right know. Good to know they can go lower.Which dealership did you end up going too? did you get a better offer? By the way does anyone know if that saying about waiting to buy at the end of month is true?...if it's worth it I would be willing to wait.
  • tommydtommyd Member Posts: 10
    I went with Hendrick in Woodbridge, VA. Closer to home. They had a 19000 OTD, and tossed in a cargo tray. From Stafford, VA, a lot closer than Rockville.
  • amtbooksamtbooks Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the informations here, I had bought V EX AT for $21,020 (including des. charge), good enough for me. Cause I just graduated, they offered me a discounted 7 years/75000miles at $1295, they claimed it saves me $400. I mainly drive the car to work daily for only 15 miles one way, and that's not much driving. I could cancel it within 60 days with full refund, any suggestion is welcomed.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    could be a good deal or not. is it a honda warranty, or aftermarket? since honda certifies used vehicles, i'm assuming they have an extended warranty for new ones. dependng on who it is through, could be bad(some aftermarket companies are not reputable when it comes to honoring claims). also depends on what is covered.
    on the other hand 7 years is a long time, and your driving habits may be different in 4 or 5 years. you might make up those miles you aren't driving now. my guess is that most people would not have bought it, though. we bought one for my wife's escape, just in case.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    amtbooks, you might want to check out just exactly what you got, see http://www.hondacare.org/
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Go ahead and cancel the warranty and get your money back. You just gave the dealer $1300 in profit that negates the very nice deal you made. Save some money for a repair fund if you are worried, but more than likely you won't need it. Good luck.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    You paid too much, however, I think that once you cancel a warranty they won't extend you another one. In other words, you can't cancel the expensive one and then buy the same warranty at a cheaper price. At least that is my understanding.
  • amtbooksamtbooks Member Posts: 11
    Thank you all for advices, I decide to cancel the warranty, it is too expensive, besides, buying honda is to belive in its quality.
  • junco1junco1 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer here in Georgia has offered me a price of $22000 plus TTT for a CRV-EX. Total price would be $23668 since we have a 7% tax here and I am not trading in my old Subaru. That is almost $1900 off the sticker price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Junco1
  • memphisguy67memphisguy67 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up a certified 2003 CRV-EX,11124 miles...wheel locks...pin stripe....moon roof visor...mud flaps...security system...for $20,300.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    2004 CRV-EX only stickers for $23040. $22k is only $1040 off sticker. Unless you have added a lot of dealer accessories.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    memphis, is your price before TTL?
  • memphisguy67memphisguy67 Member Posts: 4
    yes before ttl.....
  • matthew633matthew633 Member Posts: 26
    I suggest you check my previous posts (#686, 672, 570, 542 & 527) for some tips. I purchased the same model in Dec. '03.

Work from invoice amount up rather than sticker price down. Take invoice with you and make first offer. Know dealer holdback (also take with you) and deduct this from the invoice as a place to start. Best regards.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A lot of advise being given here.

You also should be aware that in many parts of the country, CRVS are a high demand, short supply vehicle.

As a result, they are not "invoice up" cars. Still a great car and a great value.

Also, a lot of dealers will get hostile if you talk about holdback. You may end up getting a lecture on overhead and the costs of doing business.

Good Luck, you will love your CRV!
    With all due respect to the previous poster, all I can say is this strategy (see post #708) worked for me and some of the others on the forum. I paid $500 below invoice for my 2004 CR-V EX.
    On a short supply high demand car.

Was there a trade involved?

Are you in a depressed area?

Just makes no sense. I mean WHY would a dealer have to do this?
    said no.

Seems like CA has a very competitive market - not the first sale I've read on edmunds for a Honda below invoice. Ohio seems like a similar market, with Pilots selling for $400 above invoice.

isellhondas - what is the V selling for near you?
    No, there was no trade in and it's not a depressed market. With the invoice in hand, I came prepared to buy a car that day, told the dealers that, and was prepared to move on if they wouldn't negotiate. I'm convinced one of the reasons some people get great deals is because other people are willing to pay more for the same car. You don't get what you don't ask for.
  • jojopal24jojopal24 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2004 CR-V EX in Shelton, CT for 21,457. I'm happy with this as the car is in much demand here. Some area dealers would have had me waiting 6 weeks for the color i wanted (Satin Silver). I also had a few internet quotes and phone conversations stating they were selling plenty of these cars at MSRP!!!
    congrats on the new V! Dealers around me sound very similar to your area.

Is that your price before TTL?
  • rinebirdrinebird Member Posts: 83
    If I buy a car with incentives such as cash back do I pay sales tax on the pre cash back price? Thatis the full buying price before all incentive deductions. Thank you
    That all depends on your state tax laws. But, in GENERAL, you pay on the amount before the rebates are deducted.

The best comparison is buying a computer system at BEST BUY. It may be $1600 with $300 in mail-in rebates. You pay tax on the $1600. The rebates come in the mail later. Even though most people assign the rebates to the dealer to lower the cost of the car, it is still the same process.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

O.K. I clicked on your profile and I now know you are in Orange County. I'm from around that area myself and I'm familiar with the market.

That is a dog eat dog marketplace that the dealers have managed to distroy. They have full page screamer ads and there is no end to it.

They have other ways of extracting money from their customers that I won't go into. They HAVE to do these things in order to stay in business.

The average "salesperson" lasts about two months.

Sorry, I should have looked at your profile first.
  • cautiousbuyercautiousbuyer Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed a lot of people here have got their CR-v's for right around invoice plus or minus a few hundred. I am curious if this included trade-in's or not and money down. Have a stuburn dealer and I am willing to walk away.
  • raj31raj31 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All !
    I'm new to this discussion (duh !) Anyways what is TTL. Im in middletown, CT and lookin' to buy a CR-V ex auto. I have used this diuscussion group to beat down a couple of dealers down to 21,500. But that's about as far as they go. There are 16 dealers and I have contacted 7-8. The rest are too far away. What do you guys think ?
    -Raj
    $180 over invoice... better grab it.

TTL stands for tax, title, and license.
    In other words, all the government charges that are out of yours and the dealership's control.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi All,
    WHere can I find dealer ratings for honda dealerships in CT ? speicifically CR-v's
    Hi All,
    WHere can I find dealer ratings for honda dealerships in CT ? specifically CR-v's..
    Raj
  • michcrvmichcrv Member Posts: 2
    We just picked up a 2004 CRV EX @ GRand Honda in Chicago! Love it. Paid $20,777 (including dest charge of $490.) before tax, title - per old posts from Dean V. Awesome buying experience - just like he posted when he flew in from Alaska in 2003. Nice folks - take from stock pricing on their web site. I drove down yesterday, and they had me in and out in an hour. I got the runaround from the dealer in Grand Rapids. could not get a price on paper for over a week. Never replied to my edmonds.com quote request. Got tired of the BS, went home and read through this forum, heard from DeanV and called for myself. I have already recommended to to associates to do the same. Well worth the 3 hour drive to Chicago. Will do it again when we need to replace our Chrysler T/C with an Odyssey. The pricing you see on the Grand Honda web site is good on anything in dealer inventory. For the first time, I loved buying a car. I will go back to Chicago for the next one. IF you can handling getting to Chicago and driving your new Honda home - do it! You will save. No trade in, as I drove my 94 Nissan Max to its' practical end.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dean's buying posts are 171, 176 and 214.

Good to hear that the dealer is just as good almost a year later.

Steve, Host
  • prince2100prince2100 Member Posts: 23
    good post, but I checked that dealer's website and could not find any pricing for the CR-V at all. Am I missing something? where on the site is it located?

thanks
  • michcrvmichcrv Member Posts: 2
    Go to www.grandhonda.com, and on the home page, there should be a red box, saying "click here for Specials" on the top of the left column. The ad I bought from was dated 4/12/04, showing prices for Odysseys, Pilots, CR-V's toward the bottom. The ad looks like a full page newspaper ad. Havent checked it since, but I expect it is there, or a newer version. Or call the dealership and ask for the Internet Sales Manager. Nice guy, everyone very friendly! No haggling on in-stock vehicles, and they repeat it to you - 'no games'. Best of luck!
    Those are dealer accessories. You can't have them installed at the factory.. Pretty simple stuff and not anything to worry about. Start looking for your car in early October. Get an idea of what local inventory is, and keep reading these boards to get an idea of what people are paying. Plan on making a deal near the end of November.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• princeofpunjabprinceofpunjab Member Posts: 14
    I recently purchased my CR-V EX in Blue color, BRAND NEW! 6 miles on the odometer for $20,100 (incl. Freight)only thing added to that price was tax and tags. The key is to be patient with dealers and not be in a rush to buy gives you the upper hand. I had plenty of offers for around 20,700 floating around the dealerships I was working with. Since the posts on edmunds helped me so much I decided the only way to pay them back was to post my own experience on how I got that price.

1) I did research on the edmunds.com to find out exactly what the numbers would be like I think the invoice of the CRV EX is around 21,300 incl. freight.

2) I visited about 4 dealerships and told them I was serious in buying the CR-V and started the negotiations at 20K... with this most of the dealerships countered with around 21,300..saying that was the invoice price. So I would walk out of the dealership telling the salesman /manager that I would buy with the dealership with the lowest price.

3) I waited till the last day of the month and called the dealerships that I liked the number was 3 at this point and told them I would buy today and for them to give me there lowest price. At this the salesmen went straight to 20,800 (incl. freight) which was low, so I would spread the msg over the phone about the price I was getting to the other dealerships. They all were willing to beat the others price, within an hour of negotiations I was down to 20,700!!

4) Break through came when finally the third dealership quoted me over the phone price of 20,100 incl. freight and wheel locks if I bought that day. I went there, no troubles, no hassles, no games.

I noticed the salesmen really treat you different if you act like you know your stuff. Dont low ball them with low offers because they will win that game (they play that more than us) rather go there informed of the TMV and the invoice price and then quote them something about 1000 lower. See what happens there and DONT BUY....SHOP AROUND!! Be up front with the sales ppl, treat them with respect, let them know you are going to buy from the lowest price and where you are not dealt the go around. I cannot stress this enough. Making the dealerships compete will always make you get the lowest possible price. I hope edmunds continues to provided quality information and wish you all the best of luck in your negotiations.
  • msemilyopheliamsemilyophelia Member Posts: 2
    Hi, all! I'm in the market for a CR-V EX. Met with the dealer today. He gave price of $22,240. Original price was $23,040, but he gave me $800 off. Do you think I can get it for any less? I'm in northwestern NJ.

Thanks!!
  • msemilyopheliamsemilyophelia Member Posts: 2
    Hi, all! I'm in the market for a CR-V EX. Met with the dealer today. He gave price of $22,240. Original price was $23,040, but he gave me $800 off. Do you think I can get it for any less? I'm in northwestern NJ.

Thanks!!
    Please check my post #734
    Lexington and Frankfort are hard places to get a bargain. Wyler in Florence is not my favorite place to do business either. You might try coming on up another 20 miles to Cincinnati. Another Wyler dealership, plus four other Honda dealers. Performance on RT 4 in Fairfield for possibly the lowest price. Superior Honda at the Mitchell Avenue exit off I-75 is okay.. Century Honda on Montgomery Road for the best buying experience, but maybe not rock-bottom price. (I get mine serviced there).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, you can get a better price. You might have to travel some, so do expand your search area. I shopped South Jersey and Phil suburbs - you have many options.
    Great post. Congratulations on your GREAT deal and thanks for sharing this on the forum. You may have already shared this, but where did you purchase your CR-V, including the state? I know these great deals aren't just in So. California.
  • hd28_playerhd28_player Member Posts: 7
    Prince - what happened to #734, you refered to?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It was the same as #732 so it was removed.

Note that if you refresh your browser after posting, your post will be re-posted. It's a bug in our software. Please use the Recent Messages button after you post instead of refreshing to see any replies. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • derkommissar73derkommissar73 Member Posts: 13
    Well, wanted to post that I got a nice price on a CR-V EX in St. Louis- $21,600 including destination. Not the best, not the worst, but under MSRP and respetfully close to invoice. But I got bit a bit on a trick that I did not anticipate. I was supposed to get a car off the truck with no additional equipment. When I got to the dealer to pick it up, he explained that it would take 5 weeks to get that CR-V, so he transfered in another one. That one had the "Honda Protection Package" on it, including cargo tray, wheel locks, and splash guards. He said he would sell it at cost- $299, which seemed ok at the time as long as it was at cost. Well, I've since researched it and found I could have gotten all three of those things full price at $275, and discounted at $175. He said full price was $379. Did the salesman just pad the profit a bit? There might be a bit of install fee on the splash guards and locks, but a three year old could instal the cargo mat.

He's not getting 5's now when Honda calls. I hope that extra $100 or so was worth it. I feel he tricked me on two counts- one, for not telling me before I got to the dealer that the car he got for me had extra options when we had already negogiated a price on an optionless one. If I had known, I would have researched prices and been ready to argue. And Two- that it seems like he lied about selling the extra options at cost.

I still love the car, though, and feel good about the negogating I did on my trade and the car, both of which I improved considerably. But he did get a bit back by being sneaky. I'm not really upset about the additional equipment, unless he lied about waiting 5 weeks for the car off the truck. Again, though, is loosing a perfect rating really worth that small of a pad?
    I purchased it in Maryland, I picked up my CR-V that same night that I made the deal. I know 20,100 is a VERY VERY lucky deal I got on the CR-V BUT at the same time I would like to stress that I was getting 3 other dealerships in Maryland willing to sell me the CR-V for 20,700 also a very good price. I just wanted ppl to be aware that making the dealerships compete for your business makes you win. Yes it does feel akward telling dealerships other offers you have gotten but, we do the same thing when we buy electronics when we ask Best Buy to match a competitors price. The whole key is to let the salesmen know you are going to buy and then stick your ground, I know the CR-V is a great SUV I was tempted to take it the day they offered me invoice 21,300, but since I had read edmunds.com I was more informed and was more patient which paid off in the end. Good luck to all of you I know in certain areas depending on demand the price might not come down to 20,700, but you should all at least try for it and see..whats the worest that could happen?
    that is a good post for Inconsiderate Sellers forum also.

There was another buyer picking up her V the day I went for mine at the dealer. She had wanted the green EX, with no extras, and the only green one (had just arrived, was transferred in with a large group from a CA dealer) had basic roof rack, muds. The dealer didn't charge her extra, although I don't know the price she paid either.