Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ymh6ymh6 Member Posts: 1
    This may be of no practical use to any of you but a good spec CRV here in the UK (4wd and 2 liters only available) costs about $30,000 tax paid. I test drove one today as well as a Nissan X trail (similar price) which I am not sure you yet have in the US. Both are good but the Nissan may just have the edge with better loading area, driving experience and pulling power at least with the turbo diesel which is generally the most popular with better torque and fuel economy.
  • Options
    ripple4ripple4 Member Posts: 8
    From my prior post # 580. I confirmed the price
    with the internet sales manager and put a deposit
    on the CRV
  • Options
    milkmaid1milkmaid1 Member Posts: 3
    Good Luck, called every dealer in the S.F. Bay Area looking for a green or blue 4wd manuel trans
    CRV. One dealer told me he had what I wanted in his lot, two days later it was "gone". Finally I called an Oregon Dealer, he told me he found one 500 miles away from his dealership and he'd get it for me and sell it to me for nothing less than MSRP. It's very frustrating, they claim they make manuel transmissions but no one has one in the color you want. I think I'll be buying a RAV4
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... that's manual transmissions - Manuel is a person's name.

tidester, host
  • Options
    photo_guyphoto_guy Member Posts: 24
    Perhaps that is why they are so hard to find! ; )
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Or maybe somebody named Manuel invented the manual transmission...

Still, he has a valid point. Honda just doesn't seem to be making very many manual EX CR-Vs. Anybody know the distribution?
  • Options
    alphajcalphajc Member Posts: 34
    The dealership I purchased my EX Auto had around 8 CR-Vs in-stock. Every single one had an automatic transmission.

Most likely Honda figured someone driving a cute-ute like a CR-V would likely want auto over manual. I'm pretty sure Elements on the other hand would have wide-spread manual availability.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    CRV's are always in short supply it seems. We never have as many as we would like to have.

Since they, like all Hondas are allocated to us, we have to place our orders carefully. We order what sells the best. Same applies to colors.

So, for every 5 speed a dealer orders, that's one automatic we can't have. Now, we are a large dealer, so we order a few...not many. They do sell, but not very well at all compared to the automatics. Some of the smaller dealers won't order any just for that reason.

A lot of times someone who wants a 5 speed will switch to an automatic. The opposite rarely if ever happens.

And, the hard core, "I have to have a 5 speed" shoppers should think of the resale down the road. What is unpopular when new is even less popular used.

Having said all of this..I like five speeds. I just wouldn't buy one even if my wife would let me!

Element buyers seem to be a bit more tolerant of five speeds but not much more.
  • Options
    main1main1 Member Posts: 11
    Gosh, dealing with these guys is such a horrible experience, I am thinking of going back to buy the Subaru Outback instead. I guess I have never been overly impressed by the" we are in such demand we will extort more than MSRP from you" or the well, we'll give you 500 off MSRP because we don't want to extort you, but they are still wanting 21740 for a 5 spd, that aren't in such demand that they hardly make enough of them so they are hard to get mentality. Hell, they list it as the Basic model and an auto is an option....option to me means something selected because it is desired over or instead of the standard equipment.....am I missing something here...??? Well, I am still looking for any recommendations for dealing with these "gentlemen" and any reputable (or I guess desperate) dealers in the Northwest....thanks, and enjoy reading about the good deals you guys get....just wish I had something to write about. Subaru is looking like an option, Rav 4 would have been but doesn't like the 50/50 split in the rear seat.
  • Options
    Ok, any 5spd ex owners out there, if you would list your price paid, with or without options, sure would appreciate it....also for the auto EX only. Thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    Have you been trying to negotiate for a car that is on the lot? Or just for a 5-speed CRV EX in general?

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    "Isellhonda" works for a dealership in your neck of the woods so I would listen to his advice.
    CRVs are selling quite well at MSRP (Edmunds TMV is only $400-500 off MSRP while Carsdirect is right at MSRP). Stop worrying about dealer profits or buying at MSRP and worry more about whether the CRV fits into your budget knowing that the market for these suckers (if and when you locate a 5spd) is around the MSRP price.
    Cross-shop the Subie or RAV or Escape (or even the Element or Matrix/Vibe) to see if other vehicles will suit your budget and needs just as well.
  • Options
    Can I ask? Why is this such a "horrible experience"?

Are you making this more difficult than need be?

I mean, there is only something like 1600.00 between the invoice and the MSRP on a CRV.

What do you think is fair?

The automatic isn't an "option", it's a seperate model altogether.

If you think shopping for a Subaru will be so much easier, you may be in for a surprise.

P.S....I'm one of those Northwest salespeople. I always try to be a gentleman and I'm certainly not desperate either.

Relax...life is short!
  • Options
    Getting a good deal on a car isn't all about how much you can take off the MSRP. Surely, if you want a heftier discount from MSRP go with Nissan, Subaru, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, or even Toyota. From what I've seen the spread between invoice and MSRP is the smallest in Hondas than any other car manufacturer. So it is true that you really can't get even 10% off on a typical Honda.

Getting a good deal, is about getting a car/truck that fits into your budget, makes sense and makes you feel good. If you really have trouble with paying $500 below MSRP for a CR-V, then maybe it seems like you are not happy with the car. I mean people are gladly paying over MSRP for a 2004 Toyota Prius. Does that mean they are all suckers? No.

Certainly, test-drive the other vehicles in the market (Subaru, Escape/Tribute, Liberty, Element, etc) and get the car that really makes you feel good.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    One of the reasons the CRV sells so well and has high demand is because Honda does not produce enough of them,to put on the dealers lots. There is probably a marketing reason for this. IMO, why not produce more of them to keep up with demand and make more profit by selling a higher volume of vehicles. Perhaps they would outsell the Accord, given the incredible demand.
     The reason the Prius sells for MSRP or more is because it is a unique vehicle with very little choice in the hybrid market. The CRV on the other hand, while a nice dependable vehicle is really not that much different from the Subaru or Toyota small SUV's. I think the Prius sounds like a great car,but I would not pay over sticker for it.
  • Options
    Exactly! Honda doesn't pad the MSRP like a lot of the others do. At MSRP, a Honda is a great value. I guess some people are happier with a 1500.00 discount off of an MSRP with an extra 2000.00 built in than a 500.00 discount from a lean MSRP.

It's all perception, really.

Sometimes, I wish Honda WOULD pad their MSRP's. People might feel better thinking they are getting a bigger "discount".

Buying a car doesn't have to be painful.
  • Options
    sunangelasunangela Member Posts: 22
    why is 5-speed CRV has lower numbers on window sticker?
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    It has a higher final gear ratio, which means at highways speeds the engine runs at a higher RPM for a given speed.
  • Options
    matthew633matthew633 Member Posts: 26
    This is a great forum for sharing actual buying experiences. Regarding what some of us paid for a 2004 EX, please check my posts (#521 & #527). Purchased my '04 EX Auto 12/29/03. Bottom line I paid $500 UNDER invoice (no options). My only regret is I later purchased all weather mats from the dealer and would have saved $ buying these on line even with shipping ($119 dealer vs. apx. $97). Looks like all Honda accessories are quite a bit less on line (and are geniune Honda parts).

Also, check a great deal posted by georged7 (see posts #507 & #513).

You may also want to do a search of "EX" models on this forum to see what other prices you come up with. ALWAYS negotiate from the invoice (or less) up, not the MSRP down, no matter what you read here...When you go to buy the car, go at the end of the month, tell the dealer you want to buy a car that day (if true), take the invoice with you, and be ready to move on to the next dealer if necessary. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    chef18chef18 Member Posts: 1
    I paid 21,440 (including destination, no options). Only one other dealer in my area had CRV's and he would not budge from the full MSRP.
  • Options
    milkmaid1milkmaid1 Member Posts: 3
    Dublin Honda, in Dublin CA, fleet manager quoted me a price for CRV LX Manual,$19,466.00 OUT THE DOOR. I will have to wait for my car but this is about $750 below everyone else's quote.
  • Options
    thanks Matthew633 and chef18 for your feedback, as well as alphajc, I just wonder what part of the country you all are from (except alphjc, who states they live in LA and paid about $2000 under MSRP for the automatic) I want to wait till the end of the month, but am afraid my husband will have a cow if this doesn't get done....soon...but I will let you know how it turns out. I am amazed at how varied the feed back is...some appear appalled that I would want to get a "good " deal, an others are very encouraging and share there good experience. Thank you.
  • Options
    If you have a Costco membership, try their auto-buying program. Dealers who participate in it are obligated to sell you the car for a certain price over invoice ($500 or so). I believe AAA has a similar program, it's good to use for cars that are in limited supply.

In SoCal/LA area there are literally dealerships every 10 miles in every direction (4 Honda dealerships, all within 15 minute drives) so most knowledgable buyers buy cars for around the invoice price it seems. But I can see if you live in a place where there is just one dealership within a 50 mile radius, that they would be hesitant to go too much lower than MSRP.

But of course the bad thing about LA is its 8.25% sales tax, which amounted to $1750 for my $21,000 purchase.

Good luck.
  • Options
    yes, I understand the sales tax here will be about the same, or another 1% if I buy it on the other side of the mountains....something to consider in the "grand scheme". I do appreciate your help and encouragement.
  • Options
    I bought my car in So. Calif. I think part of the reason I got a good deal on my CR-V is that others were willing to pay more for the car. My experience is I always got a better price in person than on the internet.

Keep in mind some on this forum sell Hondas for a living.
  • Options
    autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    I disagree that Honda doesn't "pad " their MSRP as much as other manufactures. I am sure they experience the same pressures for profit margins from the investment community that other brands do. Honda does use that preception that CRV's are gold and there is no barganing. I eventually got my EX Auto for $21,700.

After what I went through with different dealers (I was misled, misquoted, told the sales person had no authority to quote that price..etc..etc..)(am not allowed to divluge the dealers here as the host removed one of my posts for doing that recently). I told this one that I didnt want to see a Business manager or I was walking out and do not try to sell me ANY options/packages etc..etc.. The salesman delivered the car to me. I signed a few papers and that was that.

As for the buying experience, I've owned 4 honda/acura products over the past 15 years. Non of them have been good buying experiences but honestly I've purchased other makes also that have been just as bad. .

I think it's fair to say that pressures on car salesman create a pretty miserable buying experience. I did pay $400 to an auto buying group to purchase a BMW for me a few years ago. In retrospect, it was the best $400 I've spent on a car in some time!!
  • Options
    jar8jar8 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

Matthew633's comments (post #570) about his deal were so helpful to me that I wanted to return the favor by sharing my research.

Today's best prices for an EX automatic:

Santa Barbara: slightly under MSRP--non-negotiable
    Ventura: $200 under invoice (yes, under invoice)
    Thousand Oaks: $500 under invoice
    Westminster: $495 under invoice

Btw, those of you looking for manual transmissions in the EX, Westminster had two in stock and was quoting $495 under invoice for those too.

I notice that the invoice prices listed on Edmunds and similar websites are much higher than what dealers quoted me today. So my out-the door price before taxes, DMV and destination fee ($490) DMV and tire fee ($190) and a $45 document fee is $20,820.

Matthew633--many thanks! And btw, which dealer did you buy from? And did they waive the $45 doc fee?
  • Options
    nascarfan4nascarfan4 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Main,

Re: Purchase of Honda CRV - 5 Speed

I am not in the car business, but I do find it fascinating. I am in the retail business and have purchased 12 new cars over the last 12 years. (6 for me - 6 for my wife)

Please consider the following as you decide what to do:

The professionals on this board, and they definitely sound like pros, are trying to give you great advice so that you don't end up taking all the joy and excitement out of owning a new car. They also are trying to help you obtain a "fair" price. (FAIR = only you can decide)

The one thing different about buying a car, compared to other consumer purchases, is everyone seems to "know someone that got a great deal"; "really took that dealer to the cleaners"; "outsmarted that car salesperson"; etc,.... How often do you find that people brag about taking the refrigerator salesman for every last nickel? Or, "Gee, I really socked to it to that lady at the "Baby Gap" store on those childrens' shoes." Or, you can fill in the blank with most other consumer goods for that matter! It just doesn't happen!! (excluding storewide sales.....you are not negotiating in those cases)

I read were you were concerned that they shouldn't make "$2,000", because you thought that was excessive. That's not for us to say! Our job is to be a responsible and "informed" buyer, understand what our limitations and comfort ranges are, and then proceed accordingly. Also, we need to understand the market dynamics for the car you want to purchase, in the geography where you live, at the time you are ready to buy. (( to buy or not buy.. that is the question?? The choice is ours and ours alone)). Those elements are constantly changing. I suppose the buying a Ford Thunderbird today would be very different than , say, 18 months ago, for example.(buy or not buy....our choice.) Supply and Demand, in my opinion, have far more to do deal with the depth of a given car deal than most of the negotiating tactics that our neighbors profess to know. (excepting the most uninformed consumers, who probably should pay more for being so willing to be uninformed....just kidding!)

Some people get hung up on the number of dollars that the deal has in it for the dealer. As a percentage of the selling price, I can't think of another consumer product that has lower gross profit percentages (GP%)than new cars. (other than gasoline in a tight market and maybe some consumer electronics)

I can guarantee you that virtually all the consumer products you buy at the supermarket, discount store, office supply store etc,...have far greater GP% than new cars. (exception might be front page sale items)

In the consumer products business we can sell you the cover items at or below cost because as you shop the store you will be filling your basket with a "mix" of items that allow us to recoup the profit on those items that you purchased on sale. (Yes!! Some customers only shop the deep sale items, but's that just part of the overall stores's mix) The key is the "mix" for almost all manufacturers and retailers alike.

If the car dealer sells you the new car at an unacceptably low profit(dollars or percentages) they have no other way to "mix" out the transaction unless you do one or more of the the following:

1.) Receive far less for your trade in than it is worth.(even by the most conservative measures) They can then "mix" out on the resale of your trade in.
    2.) Offer to buy all the extra Dealer Added Options (DAO), which allows them to "mix" out the transaction. (High Profit)
    3.) Purchase extended warranties that provide the dealer with virtually 100% profit because there is no cost of goods to them. (all commission I believe??)
    4) Promise to use "their" service department every 1000 miles for the full "30,000 mile service" (Service Departments provide a large percentage of Dealers income in profit dollars)

I know there are other areas of profit, but these four are reasonably illustrative.

Car transactions are also low in frequency. As a retailer, I will see you in my store an average of 1 to 1.5 times per week. I have many more opportunities over time to obtain the proper mix on your transactions. The dealer may see you once every 2 or 3 years to purchase a vehicle. (unless you return to them for service etc,,,)They want you to be a return shopper, and try to earn your repeat business, but the opportunity is far less than with other consumer goods retailers.

Sorry, for the long note, but please do one thing. Whatever you decide, be comfortable with it, and please enjoy the new vehicle, if you purchase one. It's a strangely unique American phenomenon, but there just is nothing as satisfying as the time when you first drive away in your new car. (notwithstanding other things.....lol).

Please enjoy whatever you do!!!! NASCAR
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I saw your post over on Smart Shopper. I've negotiated prices at Nordstroms in past years and last month I negotiated a camera price down at Staples. See, I'm bragging about beating the sales staff right now :-).

And stores like Best Buy will match the competition.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but there are deals out there (best bang for buck or best value - that may or may not be MSRP).

Main, you're getting lots of good feedback in here. Keep shopping :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nascarfan4nascarfan4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Steve,

I was not suggesting that folks just blindly accept things. But rather, don't let the process take all the fun out of the transaction and the fun of owning the new vehicle. ( or whatever it is)

Thanks for the job you do. These discussion forums are great ways to share all points of view from perspectives that wouldn't normally be available.

Nascar
  • Options
    I did retail for a short stint and know there's a lot of wiggle room for some stuff. I don't haggle at the grocery store (but I do belong to a co-op that gives me 5% off).

Some of us get a lot of fun out of hunting for the best bang for the buck. That's how I found Edmunds myself a few years back.

It also helps if your present car is still running and you can afford to be patient!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    spy_lovespy_love Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2004 EX Auto Chianti Red about a week back from Honda Village, Newton, MA for $21,700 (incl. dest) + $149 doc fee + 5% MA tax. Overall it was a good transaction .. since there was a trade-in involved I am not quite sure whether I got the best deal but driving around in the new CR-V beats those thoughts :) I did contact almost all area dealers and got very similar responses from all, most of them didnt have any CR-Vs in stock. I am pretty sure its Honda's way of creating an artificial demand. Finally got it from HV as they beat the best offer I had.

Just a little bit worried abt CR-Vs catching fire after the first oil change (see the probs and solutions posts).

Didn't buy any accessory from the dealer .. got the all weather mats, front splash guard and wheel locks from hondapartsforu.com, liked the fact that they ship out from Danbury,CT with 2 day UPS shipping at a flat rate of $3.95.

This forum is a great place ! Wish you all the best in ur efforts to beat the car salesman :)
  • Options
    webddwebdd Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased(1/18/04) my CRV EX Auto at Southeastern Honda (East Coast of Florida, near Melbourne). I paid $21,600 plus Tax & Title. The best price I could get online was 22,021 (+ 6% Tax/Title). They wanted to add the standard $395 Dealer prep fee. Southeasten is a little further away from where I live, but they gave me a quote over the phone and they honored it without any hassles/added dealer charges- very smooth transaction.

This site has some good information and a spreadsheet for calculating a negotiating price
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/.
  • Options
    spy_lovespy_love Member Posts: 2
    Folks, this article provides some useful insight of what happens on the other side of the table :

Car salesmen strike back!
    http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20031219a1.asp
  • Options
    And good for them for publishing a rebuttal.

About time!
  • Options
    3rdpath3rdpath Member Posts: 8
    though i didn't get quite as good of a deal as matthew663(props to him!)...i did get a 2004 ex auto from robertson honda for $21,100.00
    ( including destination) plus TTL( and $45.00 doc fee and $5.00 tire fee). this was an internet quote and i did no haggling. i was in and out of the dealer in 1 hour...eezee peezee.
  • Options
    14chow "Any Questions for a Car Dealer?" Jan 27, 2004 5:02am

Interesting point of view....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve,

This guy is a slap in the face to those of us in the business who work hard to reverse the bad sterotypes that exist.

Actually, guys like him can be found in a lot of dealerships.

Surprised you would even post that link. It's embarrasing to the long time car people here.
  • Options
    Like I said, I thought it was an interesting point of view.... And why would you be surprised that we'd be trying to educate people to dealer tricks around here?

Guess this is a good opportunity to link to the Confessions article again.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Withhold my response out of respect for the TH rules.

Aren't sterotypes a beautiful thing?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    Without guys like that, you wouldn't look so good.. I always try to stand next to ugly people. Keep up the good work.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you used Edmunds.com to research a vehicle you bought from a
    Denver-area dealership and would like to talk about your experience on
    camera Saturday, January 31, 2004, please contact jfallon@edmunds.com
    with your daytime contact information and the name of the dealership.
    Responses must be in by Friday, January 30, 2004 for consideration.
  • Options
    jar8jar8 Member Posts: 3
    Like Matthew633, I paid 500 under invoice for my Ex last week. The best quote I got on the Ex manual was around 19,700. I paid 20,820. for the EX auto.

There is no shortage of CRVs in CA--but they come off the boat here. Everytime I have checked out a dealership, there are plenty on the lot. No Prius's, I am told because they underestimated demand. They'd be making a lot more profit (sellers and dealers) if they had them to sell, so I doubt that shortage was calculated to inflate prices.
  • Options
    jar8, congratulations on your great deal! You did your homework and it paid off. FYI, I purchased mine in North Orange County.
  • Options
    buffybaby1buffybaby1 Member Posts: 10
    I live in Indiana and read the Chicago Tribune sometimes.Grand honda dealership in Chicago's western burbs has an ad for 2004 Honda CRVs. The ad says a 2004 Honda CRV EX with automatic transmisson and destination charge $20850.These are brand new , not used. I wonder if anyone has bought one for this price. Or is it a gimick? The MSRP is $23040. Someone in Chicago let me know. I will make the trip to Grand Honda dealership if this is true.
  • Options
    Yes, this is very possible. See my post #600 which links you to other similar deals for a 2004 EX auto. Also see jar8's recent post #628 on 1/31. I suggest you get a copy of the invoice off the internet and take this with you. Always work from the inovice up, not the MSRP down. There's some good tips on this forum so read comments going back at least a few weeks. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    ripple4ripple4 Member Posts: 8
    I put a $500
     deposit for a Black CRV EX on 1/19 (Post 580 &
     583). When I put the deposit on the CRV, the internet sales manager said it will be 2 weeks before the CRV would be delivered. I have no confidence the CRV will be in next week and a month will pass.

Does anyone know how long it takes a dealership
     to get there allocation of CRV's
  • Options
    lucy26lucy26 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone-
    Has anyone in Atlanta bought a FWD w/side air bags CR-V lately? I'd like to add a cargo cover & alarm system too while I'm there. I haven't bought a new car in a while & am trying to get an idea what to expect. Thanks!
    Lucy
  • Options
    14491449 Member Posts: 2
    Newcomer to town hall

Help! Looking to buy a 2004 Honda LX CR-V automatic with sideairbags. Feedback needed in getting the BEST DEAL in Western Pa. or Western New York. Local dealership in Dubois, Pa. playing hardball, will not come off dealer MSRP. Even bought 2 Honda from them before. Willing to travel up to 400 miles from present location which is Emporium, pa. 15834 Any usefull information will be helpful. THANKS Mike and Kathy
  • Options
    franky012franky012 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought mine at Rick Case in Cleveland. Paid $19552.48(Incl. Dest.) + Tax. Also purchased 5 yr. 100,000 bumper to bumper for 700 extra. Also threw in keyless entry at no additional. Hope this helps someone to make a decision. very good experience at Rick Case, am picking it up today.