Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    Had a real painless experience today. Got my mind off "other things" (never forget!) for a little while. Test drove a CRV EX. Plenty of headroom. Cabin did feel a little cramped, but I'm used to a 2000 Pathfinder. I'm like 5'11"-6' and around 219-220. Car, and I would never call this vehicle a truck, LOL, was unobjectionable. Quiet, smooth, silky, decent interior materials. The headrest did not bother me at all. I was in and out of the dealership in 35 minutes including a ten-fifteen minutes test drive and a price.

Price for the EXL AWD was $26,302, about $50 over Edmunds TMV and $70 over KBB. I asked about manufacturer to dealer cash ($500), and was told it was reflected in that price. That price is supposed to include everything except tax and MV fees. It is supposed to include dealer documentation, though I am not 100% convinced of that since when I brought it up the saleswoman said she could quote me a price without DESTINATION charges, but she didn't want to operate like that.

She knew I was knowledgeable about pricing as I mentioned Edmunds and told her that I heard they were upping the compression ratio and changing the headrests on the 2010. She did not know this. I also told her they were dropping Green Tea Metallic and replacing it with Sage Willow Green. She did say that she didn't expect the 2010s for at least a month or two. She said the CRV was on a later build cycle than the cars.

I didn't really try to bargain, and they didn't have the color I wanted. She seemed firm on the price and said that she had only 5-6 EXLs to sell and the might have to last until early November. She said if I insisted on Green Tea, she could try to locate one for me and swap with another dealer.

I was very impressed with the saleswoman by the way. Twenty five years selling cars, twenty one years at this dealership. Many, many salesperson of the year awards, Honda Gold Club award, or something like that, plus other awards/plaques. Maybe 20 plaques on her wall.

She also said that she didn't think the 2010s would rise in price by $1500, as I had seen posted on here. She scoffed at that and said she thought it would be much less.

Any comments on the price? Is it worth going for it or waiting until the 2010s arrive? I plan to visit at least two other Honda dealers to shop color and price.
  • Options
    tom5314tom5314 Member Posts: 20
    I have same issue with my Odyssey back door. Trying to find some double foam tape and tape it evenly at the edge of garage door (inside of course). It works in my case. I hope that helps, so you don't have to sell your CR-V just for that!
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Buyers remorse because there's not enough room when I pull the car into the garage and open the back door to the car. The hood and garage door (which is on runners) collide with each other....have to very slowly raise the hood and place a towel between the hood and top of door.....that sucks!!! The car has less than 400 miles and I've already placed a 'for-sale' in some classifieds. Now looking for a RAV4 with a back door that swings open from the side.

I am not sure if I am pointing the obvious, but instead of losing the depriciation money, why not pull into the garage, unload the cargo while the garage door is open. Close the tailgate, and then close the garage door?

If that does not work, unload the cargo in the driveway, and then pull into the garage?

Back into the garage?

Pull into the garage?

Try different things before dumping the car at a loss. There is no way a used car buyer will buy your vehicle for what you paid for it. There has to be an incentive for a used car shopper to pick your vehicle over the new one at the dealer. That incentive is usually in the form fo $3000-$4000. Are you willing to drop $4000 over simply chainging the habits?
  • Options
    I don't think he mentioned the length of the loan. I was thinking 400 x 48=19,200 plus the 7800 down equals 27K. That would seem to be a dealers asking price.

Of course it could be a five year loan. In which case the guy is right.

The OP in that case is perfect for a dealer to make a killing. The OP has no clue as to whether he/she is getting LX/EX/EX-L AWD or FWD.... sounds like a shopper who, when asked what car they would prefer, says a RED one.
  • Options
    Bluiedgod-Are you involved with Honda sales by any chance?
  • Options
    hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    main problem with 2010 model any where they will sell for 1200-1500 above invoice until end of december time and u guys can see how price changes from on truecar.com......on graph and i am in market for 2010 honda odessy but price is almost 1200 higher than invoice price..asking best price 28500.....2009 was 26750 and no negotiation on new model....

thanks
    hp
  • Options
    sandra4453sandra4453 Member Posts: 10
    Tailgate hits top of garage door whether or not the door is opened...the door is on runners and whichever position it's in (opened or closed)...it's an issue, sadly BUT you're absolutely right, blueiedgod....it's not worth losing money on it and then to have to plop down another (almost) $10,000 on the RAV Sport. If I can get $22K for this car, (you never know), I'll get rid of it. I'm hoping with 400 miles driven and the warranty, that a little less than $2K will be incentive????????

I'm going to start backing the car up into the garage where the garage door ISN'T!!!!!

P.S. another regret is the color I got....black/black. Wanted a color I never had but every bit of dust glows on this baby!
  • Options
    lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    Don't regret your purchase... I just bought a CRV and I also own a Rav4. It's very inconvenient sometimes to have a back door that swings open to the side. For example, we had very high winds here a couple of months ago, and the door just about flew off the hinge! I had to bring it in to Toyota for repair. Also, it's a pain when someone parks very close behind you. You just can't open the door. At least with the CRV door, you could maybe squeeze in between the two cars and possibly open the back door since it swings up.

As far as the black/black... You could always buy light colored seat covers....Would make a nice contrast....
  • Options
    netak1netak1 Member Posts: 21
    Apologies if this is a repeat post, but at quick glance I didn't see anything. Wanted to pass along for anyone interested in the 2010 updates....

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=5183
  • Options
    Thank you Lori.
  • Options
    I'm in South Florida, dgreb and just bought a CR-V EX (FWD) 2 weeks ago (8-30-09). $19,898 (cash) plus my trade in (gave me 3,500). Total, out-the-door cost was $23,398.
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Sandra, I just wanted to tell you that, if you read the RAV4 forum, you'll find complaints about people that can't open the RAV4 tailgate inside their garage w/o hitting something.

I just back my Pahfinder and Sienna up to the garage if I want to bring groceries or something in that way.
  • Options
    I am starting to think that the $26302 price from HondaCity in Levittown, NY for an AWD EX L is a very good price. I just got an e mail quote from Huntington Honda, Huntington, NY for $26712 including everything but tax, and tags. But again, the e mail says that price includes dealer prep and destination. It doesn't say anything about documentation fees.

$410 difference and the cheaper dealer is much closer to home. And, Huntington Honda is the number one volume dealer in NYS. You think they would be cheaper!

Anyone else pricing an AWD EX L in the NY metro area?
  • Options
    maine_chuckmaine_chuck Member Posts: 3
    Today I purchased a Black / Tan Honda CRV 4WD EX-L no other options.

MSRP = $27955

Price paid was $25,199 plus $299 Doc fee plus sales tax (ME 5%).

No trade in.

Plus they ground the bank down to 3.8% on 60 mos.

Very happy with the deal, good service and no hassles.

Second car purchased from this chain of dealers in Augusta. Both times were of similar experience, called/emailed ahead of time, confirmed price, walked in and purchased.
  • Options
    Thanks. I am going to get a price from one more dealer.

Is it possible that ME. is $1000+ cheaper than metropolitan NY?
  • Options
    mrashy2004mrashy2004 Member Posts: 15
    Wow what a price.How did you get the car under invoice and holdback if there is no rebate?

Invoice price 25,342
    Holdback - 817.35
    Cost of car 25,234
    Your price was 25,199

What was the name of the dealer. Thank You.
  • Options
    landsatlandsat Member Posts: 1
    For heads up, just bought 2009 CRV 2WD LX $21500 OTD at Phoenix, AZ, Earnhardt Honda. I think it is an OK deal. Wasted 2.5 hrs at another dealer at Superstition Springs, since the internet sales manager called me and said he could beat the $21500, but after I got there, he said we misunderstood him, he said he could beat $22500. What a hell. Although I am a foreigner, but I earned my Ph.D here, and clearly heard he said he could give me $21300 twice.
  • Options
    CRV AWD EX L:

$26200 PS Honda, Manhassett, NY
    $26195 Millenium Honda, Hempstead, NY

The guy from Millenium was adamant that there were no documentation fees, just tax, registation, title.

Not sure if PS Honda's quote was subject to documenation fees.

Everyone has the two blues, silver, and black. Some have white. No one has Green Tea : (

Is it worth it to go 4-5 miles further from home to save $107? I got $26302 from Honda City, which is less than 2 miles from my house.
  • Options
    If everything were equal, I would definitely go an extra 5 miles to save $107. I would base my decision, however, on the customer service at each dealership. If the dealership with the higher price was more enjoyable to work with, I would give them my business. Otherwise I'd spend the dollar or so in gas and go to the one with the best price. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :D
  • Options
    hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    2009 CRV LX ....21500 ?include all tx,title and no trade in .......as u say OTD that is good price otherwise i got 2009 CRV EX...same place for 22200 plus tx,title ..no trade in .....

thanks
    hp
  • Options
    Well.........it's not just that the cheaper dealership is about 2-3 miles further away, in the opposite direction. It's also that it's kind of "in the hood". My wife is not going to be crazy about having to follow me over there if we need to drop the car at night and leave it for work.

The neighborhood is OK during the day, as there are courthouses and a lot of social service type buildings, but at night it's sketchy.

On the bright side, I guess if I wanted to wait while my oil is changed, I could have some rice and beans, get high, and contract an STD. At night, sharpening my knife fighting skills is a real possibility! : )
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    You can always make a day time appointment instead. If your wife isn't comfortable, ask 1 of your many friends, or you can ask dealer to pick you up at the T or train station.
  • Options
    bairdjcbairdjc Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously thinking about a CR-V for my wife - I am crafting an email to all the local dealers now (10+ within 50 miles). does anyone have the TRUE invoice/dealer cost for this and perhaps for some options?

also - would it be worth it to wait for the 2010 models and buy a 2009? :confuse:
  • Options
    Ahh, I see. But if your car needs work in the future, why not just bring it into the 'closer' dealership? Of the cars I've bought so far, I don't think I've ever brought one into the 'original' dealership.....and I've had no problems in terms of service. I guess it's a personal decision, and if you feel more comfortable buying at the 'closer' one, $100 bucks really isn't a deal breaker in my opinion.
  • Options
    There is no direct train from the dealership hood to mine. There is a bus terminal, they recently busted a lot of junkies there dealing Vicodin to each other and bringing heroin out from the city, LOL.

Seriously, the neighborhood is not a deal breaker. It's just not as convenient as the dealer by me. The one by me I drive past at least once or twice per day.

It is actually a much more vibrant neighborhood to walk around in. There are more stores, more places to eat, and more ethnic foods.
  • Options
    It would be on Edmunds or kbb. Though they may vary by a hundred or so.

I am considering waiting for the 2010s now myself. It will have a larger armrest, a compass, auto off headlights, and 14 more h.p. I really like auto off headlights. I have them now on my 2000 Pathfinder and can't imagine living w/o them. Some guy was recently visiting a neighbor across the street. He has that small Acura, CL I think. Anyway, he left the lights on. I tried knocking on the door, but I suspect these two were up to something unnatural, LOL. Anyway, dead battery when he came out about 4 hrs later. He said it was a new battery too, and it had happened a couple of times with the old one. You would think a late model Acura would have auto off. I mean, c'mon, they put it on the 2000 Pathfinder LE!

I also like a compass. There have been times when I've been out on the road on a trip or something, somewhere you've never been before. You may know the route number, but you're not sure if you're going W-SW or E-NE or whatever. Could just be a big time saver in unfamiliar areas, if you're not using GPS.

If you look back a page or two you can find the link that someone posted for the 2010 Honda CRV press release, or maybe you can just Google it.

The delaers I spoke to are saying late October/early November.

Someone else also posted back a page or two that any new Honda will go for 1200-1500 over invoice, or about $900-1200 more than an '09. He was pricing Odysseys and found that to be the case. I don't think that's such a big difference considering what you're getting. The center armrest on the '09 is very narrow.

I don't think torque is improved, but the 14 h.p. might help on the highway where this car is underpowered.
  • Options
    You're right, $107 is certainly not a dealer breaker. I'm not in my 20s anymore and I'll pay for convenience.

I just think you would tend t get treated better at the dealership you purchaed from if you need warranty work. I think all the dealerships HAVE to do warranty work, but I think they get paid less for the labor than the price they charge the public.

I bought a Pontiac back in 2001 at a dealer about 10-12 miles from home. I used the dealer 3 miles from home a couple of times for repair work. They had a sign in that dealership saying something to the effect of "if you didn't buy your car here, and you need warranty work, you'll have to wait until we finish all the warranty work on the cars that were bought here". I forget exactly how they worded it, and I never saw a sign like that anywhere else, but the message was clear.
  • Options
    mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    Try Nardy Honda in Smithtowm/St. James on Long Island. I paid $25,300 (Costco Price) includes the destination. Add some other small fees. Ask for Henry Schwartz.

• Options
    Here's a link to the press release for pricing. I'm looking at the EX-L 4WD, and it looks to be $500 more (MSRP) for the 2010 vs. 2009.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/804/releases/5185

I'll be waiting for the 2010s as I'm in no hurry to buy. I'll actually probably try and wait to Feb. of next year.....it was that time this past year that the prices seemed to be the lowest.

On the note you mentioned about the auto headlights, I've always been boggled why people, especially those with "nice" cars, get paged at work for leaving their headlights on. I thought all cars beep when you open the door and the headlights are on.

From your experience w/ other dealerships regarding work under warranty, I would definitely chose the one in the nicer location closer to home. It sounds like it'd be a much better experience and worth the extra $100. :D
  • Options
    lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    LX owners: Does anyone have a solid lead on where I can get this duel cargo shelf? There's one guy on ebay who says he manufactures them...(But will it fit right??) I don't want to do modifications of the interior...It's not worth it, then....My saleperson told be twice that, yes, I could get the cargo shelf as an accessory before I bought the CRV. Was she wrong! I could get the retractable cargo area cover from Honda - but that's something different....Can anyone suggest a supplier of new, or even used, accessories? Thanks for your help! :cry:
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Good decision! January or February is a great time to buy.

Most buyers get a *bad* deal when they buy the previous year model in September or October. Dealers always make the buyer eat the depreciation.
  • Options
    Bluiedgod-Are you involved with Honda sales by any chance?

Nope, nowhere near automotive, or automotive sales.
  • Options
    You're right, $107 is certainly not a dealer breaker. I'm not in my 20s anymore and I'll pay for convenience.

I just think you would tend t get treated better at the dealership you purchaed from if you need warranty work. I think all the dealerships HAVE to do warranty work, but I think they get paid less for the labor than the price they charge the public.

I bought a Pontiac back in 2001 at a dealer about 10-12 miles from home. I used the dealer 3 miles from home a couple of times for repair work. They had a sign in that dealership saying something to the effect of "if you didn't buy your car here, and you need warranty work, you'll have to wait until we finish all the warranty work on the cars that were bought here". I forget exactly how they worded it, and I never saw a sign like that anywhere else, but the message was clear.

I think the sign was just a sales gimmik. It may actually be illegal to deny warranty coverage, or provide preferrential treatment to people who bought their vehicles there, as opposed to elsewhere.

What would happen to someone who moved form another state or another part of the country and needed service? I can see litigation going up the wazoo if dealerships actually did that.

However, many dealerships do provide extra perks to people who bought from them. I know Fair Honda in Danbury, used to give free rentals to people who bought and serviced cars there. Usually only luxury brands give free loaners.

A Ford dealer here, not so much the dealer, but the sales person, would come and take my EX's car from work to take in for service and bring it back. this way she did not have to take time off and hitch rides.

My dealer provides free paint chip repair, once again, I have to see my sales person before they will proceed.

Service department does not really care if you bought the vehicle from their or another sales deprtment. They have their own quotas to meet. And No, Honda does not pay them $96/hr labor rate when warranty work is performed. When The labor rate was $80/hr, I think Honda paid them $40/hour, and strictly by the book. I.e. if the book says it takes 1.5 hours to complete the work, that is all they would get paid for.

I say go with whatever sales person you liked the most, since the difference here is negligible. And make sure you are comparing the complete out the door numbers.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Since I'm not currently in the market, I can't give you pricing info, but I do want to comment about Huntington Honda.

I did business with them about 4 years ago (bought an '06 CR-V in November, 2005) & would not buy from them again, even though they're the closest Honda dealer to me. The salesman's product knowledge was poor - I'm being charitable here - the F&I guy became nasty after I made it clear that I wouldn't buy an extended warranty, & the delivery experience was rushed & perfunctory.

If I ever buy another Honda (& I probably will - my CR-V has been great), I'll drive to Glen Cove or St. James, but I won't go back to Huntington.
  • Options
    Thanks. I actually know the brother of a high school friend works in sales there, but it is too far for me. It's got to be at least 35 minutes from me.
  • Options
    Thanks.

I always heard that the middle of a snowstorm is a great time to buy. Wait until a weekday morning when it's like 15 degrees and there has been snow on the ground for 3 days! LOL.

My Pathfinder the lights stay on when you turn the key off, but go off when you open the door. Not sure how it works on my wife's Sienna, but I think it is similar. I thought even chimes were a thing from the past!

I am going with the local dealer, but now I am thinking of going for a 2010, or going with a 2009 Pilot. There is subsidized financing on the Pilot 2.9 % for either 24 mos. or 60 mos. I just don't want to make a mistake and find out that the CRV is not comfortable fo long trps. I have one son upstate in a SUNY, another one a year away, and arthritis in my lower spine. I'm OK, but I need good seats.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Everyone does see to like Nardy. And I see that mithtown Nissan has great ratings too. Not sure if they are related/same owner, whatever.

I am not going to Huntington Honda. Besides not wanting to be treated like a number by the largest Honda dealer in NY, they were $410 higher than my local dealer!
  • Options
    jikjik Member Posts: 144
    can you send me more details on your transaction tax title etc. also salesperson.

I have heard good things about Joliet but dont know if they will have the best price

send me mail at jk_send@yahoo.com
  • Options
    chris512chris512 Member Posts: 6
    This is from the 2010 press release:

"For 2010, power and efficiency improvements result from the engine's compression ratio increasing to 10:5:1 from 9.7:1"

Does this mean the 2010 will require premium gas? (higher octane)
  • Options
    malachai1malachai1 Member Posts: 40
    Nope uses the same gas as before. It was the same spec's as the accord LX or the EX whcih both use low grade gas.
  • Options
    bigd519bigd519 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I are relocating to the western ny region and need a car for the first time (city folk!). We are pretty much sold on the CR-V and need to buy as soon as we move (next week!) so we cant wait for the '10s.
    Some info - looking for an 09 or used 07, 08
    would like the EX trim awd, no leather needed.

So - I was looking at this used '08 with a retail value of 23,995 - http://ps.getauto.com/group/details/91/6495/JHLRE48528C001115/

So i compared that pirce on kbb and they have a retail of 25,700 - http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?YearId=2008&VehicleClass=Used- Car&ManufacturerId=18&Condition=Excellent&ModelId=126&PriceType=Retail&VehicleId- =197276&Mileage=25000&SelectionHistory=197276|31416|14224|0|0|

Edmunda has a retail of 21,102 - http://www.edmunds.com/used/2008/honda/crv/100933618/options.html?tmvaction=vdpr- esult

how is kbb and edmunds so different? and why would the dealer be selling at 23,995 when truecar says a good deal can be had on a NEW 09 for 24,000 - http://truecar.com/Honda/CR-V/2009/best-price-report-3FA694E8.html?colorInfo=Roy- al%20Blue%20Pearl,Black,25405,0,2009%20Honda,CR-V,4WD%205dr%20EX,2009_Honda_CR-V- _Royal_Blue_Pearl.jpg&trimId=308102&modelId=18842&zipcode=14224 ?

Thanks for reading and helping out!
  • Options
    .........of my shopping. Well, I bought a CPO 4Runner today. It's an '06 but has only 18,000 miles on it. Except for a scratch about 6 inches long on the side of the rear bumper, and the fact that the tires are half worn, it's as new.

Pricing was very similar to an new CRV, EX L, asking 28K, internet "special" price 27K, offered them 25K, they countered at 25.8 and it was a done deal.

Warranty is 7 yrs/100,000 miles since new on the powertrain. Roadside assistance, free loaner car and all that.

To me, it is everything that the CRV is not, heavy, solid, built to last 15 yrs. or so, and very, very safe (save your safety ratings rant). It is a true 4 x 4. I can drive it through any snow or on the beach, and it is comfortable for long trips.
  • Options
    Congrats on your purchase! Sounds like you got a good deal, especially with only 18k miles. Enjoy your new ride!
  • Options
    Thanks netak1 !

I haven't picked it up yet, and I am having second thoughts about the wisdom of buying a used car, even a low mileage CPO one, when I could get a new CRV for the same price. The bumper t bumper warranty on the Toyota is only 3 mos./3000 miles, even though the drivetain is 7 yrs/100K since new.

I keep going back and forth in my mind on the wisdom of new vs used and small crossover vs mid sized SUV (safety, comfort, size for the sake of size!).

Any thoughts on these matters?
  • Options
    jimlejimle Member Posts: 1
    out the door in california

this seems a bit high for me. what do yo guys think? i want to buy this by the end of this month. Thanks all!
  • Options
    I would just go by Edmunds TMV. I have found this to be very accurate and I have been shopping EX Ls in NY. If it's within a hundred or two of Edmunds, you like the salesperson, the dealership is convenient, then just go for it.

There is also another website, TrueCar I think it is, that shows recent prices paid.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    chuck

I downsized from 3.5L Pilot to 2.5L Outback, save gas and money plus I don't really need a SUV with 8 seater. It is friendlier to the environment.

I think the best deal for the buck is buying a used 3 yr old, <50k mi, just off the lease.

The new Outback, same trim : new $28k vs 3 yr old w/30k mi. $18k ... $10k saving.
  • Options
    Thanks bigdadi118. Makes a lot of sense financially.

There is a good, safe feeling to be in a mid sized to large SUV though. If everyone else was driving a small crossover type vehicle, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when so many cars on the road are full sized SUVs, and people are running red lights and talking on the phone, it's a little disconcerting to me to be sitting a foot or two lower than them and driving something a thousand pounds lighter!
  • Options
    tom5314tom5314 Member Posts: 20
    I agreed with you, nothing is safe out there! This make me think over and over between the new CR-V and the used mid size SUV too.