Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• snt2008snt2008 Member Posts: 2
    All,

How much more would you pay for a 2010 model over 2009 this month? I'm looking for EX-L w/ Navi, AWD. $1000? $800? $1200?

Also do dealers have rebates from Honda for 2010? I can only find rebate info for 2009 on Edmunds.com.

Thanks for your help!

Jack
  • cama1cama1 Member Posts: 12
    2010 CRV 4WD EX-L w/Nav....Here is my best OTD price

$29,238 inc splashguards....what do you think?

Invoice w/o splashguards is $28370.51

Edmunds indicates that the invoice is $28,371 and others are paying $30,220
    MSRP is $30,455

How did I do?
  • snt2008snt2008 Member Posts: 2
    cama1,

Thanks for sharing the price. What's your state tax rate? Also I haven't found rebate information. Assuming $500 rebate (same as 2009) and 7% tax rate (I'm in NJ) I'd be happy to get this price. I contacted a few internet dept for 2009 (same trim), they all quoted higher than your number (OTD).
  • chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    1. How would SUVs age faster than cars in city driving? I think that an SUV would be more rugged and hold up better. They have a full steel frame, like the Crown Victorias used as taxis and police cars, not unibody construction like most FWD cars and crossover.

2. The CRV is not really an SUV. An SUV is usually based on a pick up truck and has 4 wheen drive. The CRV is really a crossover (CUV) with AWD. A real 4 x 4 can be locked into 4WD. An AWD vehicle decides itself when to transfer power to other wheels.

3. So, what's up with the Subaru trade?
    Well Carol (?), I would say if others are paying $30,220 before taxes, and you got it out the door for $29,238, you did very well.

I think the pricing info on Edmunds is going to be very sketchy on 2010 CRVs, there aren't even any on dealers lots yest in the NYC area. That prcing info is probaly just based on a few dozen sales.
    How much more I would pay depends on how much the changes from '09 to '10 mean to me.

1. Auto off headlights-means a lot

2. Bigger center armrest-means a good amount

3. 18 more h.p.-means something but not much if torque isn't upped

4. redsigned grill-means little, it's still no acial beauty

5. depreciation-means something, but I plan on keeping for several years and then probably giving it to one of my kids, so it doesn't mean that much.

6 compass-means a lot.

I guess it all equals $1000-1200 more in value.

Does anyone have pricing on a 2010 Ex L w/o Navi?
  • jikjik Member Posts: 144
    likely will trade subaru.

wife wants to get rid of it for whatever they give.
  • anacodiaanacodia Member Posts: 6
    I am in the middle of negotiations right now, so far the lowest I've gotten is 25,299 with a cargo tray thrown in. This is for an EX-L w/o Navi, 2wd. I have two dealers at this $25,300 price point, so I hope to get the price down even more. No trade. For all of them, their initial offer was within dollars of $26,200. :)
  • snuggleningsnugglening Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2009 CRV Ex-L no Navi for 25k tax title and doc fee at Classic Honda in Ohio.
    so chuck how does 09 4WD for 20,499 including destination sound?

That is the one of the best offers -- the other one oral is 20,299
  • scott156scott156 Member Posts: 1
    hi....

could you post the name of the dealer that gave you sech an excellent quote?

thanks

Scott
    Better than argueing with her.

Couldn't help but ask :) - Does Subaru want to get rid of wife for whatever they'll give for her? LOL
    Snugglening- Is that 2 WD?

Thanks
    I am not really sure. I am just pricing AWD EXLs.

I would just go by Edmunds TMV. I find it very, very accurate on this car now. Anything within $200-300 (higher) than Edmunds is good for my area. Hondas are very popular here. The dealers don't seem to give them away. Their attitude is "if you don't buy it, someone else will".

Maybe that's the LX AWD for that price. Some dealers have been advertising the EX AWD for just over 23K by me.
    Anyone find big, big pricing differences on the new CRVs? Edmunds shows a $2000 difference for my area. In round numbers $26K for EX L AWD '09 vs. 28K for '10.

There is a very limited supply of 2010s here, and no EX L, just EXs.
  • jmc60jmc60 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the same car with a much higher asking price which is the best I can get in my area. Would you post the name of the dealer that you got 20,500 for a 4wd LX
  • snuggleningsnugglening Member Posts: 5
    AWD
  • malachai1malachai1 Member Posts: 40
    I got a lowest price of 25500.00 for a ex-l with des. If they did not sell it this weekend I might put a 1000.00 to hold it, SHould I grab it????? Getting really really hard to find it in the color that I want with J in the vin.
  • peterpan3peterpan3 Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2009 CRV Ex-L no Navi for 25k tax title and doc fee at
    Classic Honda in Ohio

snugglening, you mean 25k+tax+title+doc fee, right?
    in chicago.

Man -- what a story this one was! My wife had a mental breakdown -- I told her to sleep in car. After exhuasting 6 hours at dealership finally bought it. I will post the full story later.
    $20249 including destination excl dealer options

Here are some questions --

1) had to buy dealer installed splashguard option for 299. He offered initially for 399.
    how much is this worth any way. I thought it was like 80.

2) my car is leaking condensing water -- I noticed it after long drive back from chicago. Is this natural? From AC? I dont believe I saw a new car do this.

3) I did not see anything to change tires except to jack up the car.
    Would dealer really remove it?

4) HAd Continental tires. I thought CRVs had Michelins?
  • bigd519bigd519 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone for their help and for all the information here.
    Picked up a 2009 CRV EX with 4wd for OTD 25k flat. Got all weather mats as well. I considered it a success!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who have recently purchased a compact SUV in the past six months. If you’ve downsized from a larger SUV, please let me know. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 2, 2009.
    I certainly would, especially if they have the color you want.

I am going tomorrow, will probably buy and expect to pay 26,200-26,300, unless they've come down by me in the last two weeks, which I doubt.

Are the japanese built ones really any better? We only seem to have the Amercian built ones in NY.
    1. I'm not sure what the suggested price is for Honda splashguards, but if you go to the 2009 CRV site you can find the suggested prices under "accessories". Be advised though, this price does not include labor.

2. All cars drip water from the a/c. It has to come out somewehere.

3. What is it that you're looking for? Part of the jack (the handle of the jack) probably doubles as a lugwrench. I don't see why dealer would bother taking your lugwrench. You should probably familiarize yourself with the jack operation and the jacking locations. This should be in owners manual.

Good luck with the car!

What did you end up getting for the Subaru?
  • jonrobertsonjonrobertson Member Posts: 6
    2010 CR-V EX 4WD

$24000 + ttl in Northern California.. MSRP $25,800.

What do you guys think?
  • russ01915russ01915 Member Posts: 2
    Picking up tomorrow in MA. a 2010 CR-V EX 4WD glacier blue, for $24,058. They threw in the wheel locks, and 6 free car washes. This price didn't include documentation, taxes, title, or registration fees. Prices quoted on this board should be just for the car and not the other costs such as documentation, taxes, title, or registration fees. That way, you can compare apples to aplles.
    Amen, Russ. You are right. Why do people insist on OTD when taxes and fees vary so much?

Picking up Thursday '09 EX L AWD w/o Navi. $26302. Could have gotten it a $107 cheaper, but went with the closest dealer to home.

Oh yeah, I got Glacier Blue too w/grey leather :)

Got their 7 yr/84K warranty down from $1595 to $1295 just by mentioning that in the secondary market a warranty costs around $900. Then turned it down. Went out for a smoke and when I came back "the boss" had approved it down to $995. I originally agreed to that price and an overpriced $395 alarm with glass sensor. I got home and ran the number and saw that the alarm and warranty, plus the tax on them, would raise my monthly payment by about $30 for 4 yrs., and that's at 3.95%. Went back and immediately cancelled alarm and warranty.
    Thanks chuckfromli.

Since you asked about the subaru you are opening up my wound about the purchase itself.

Here is what happened --

after continous problems like forgetting subaru tag, subaru jack accessories for which I had to turn back to home to get, we finally hit

the freeway -- guess what our family did not have a dime on us. Forgot to take cash. With so many toll booths and no ATM card, I decided

to find bank nearby which delayed us another hour.

Finally made it to chicago dealer at around 3 pm. Actually got lost there also (it was the same dealer I have bought from earlier) but

with the construction and the stupid directions from Garmin managed to get lost there.

I had communicated with person A at Dealer D. He had another lady L take care of the deal. The car was not exactly the color I wanted

(green Tea) but was next on my list Silver.

Drove the car about 3 miles along with lady L and noticed it had dealer installed splashguard option for 399 additional.
    I said I have asked for LX 4WD only so if it comes up later I will ask them to remove it. Lady L put down the price I had negotiated

minus the coupon the dealer had later send me asked me to initial it. The number was 20249.

Then we started talking about the subaru. She took all information from me how do you rate your car etc. I said excellent. I was quite

hopeful at this point even delirious that they will not even check the car and give me decent money. Nope. She came back with initial

offer of 2200. Then she upped it to 2500. After this she went couple of times and came back every time asking me to sign on something

stupid. Finally she had her used car salesman drive the car and find the engine light on. We said it always comes on when we fill gas.
    Anyway they did not budge. Then I gave her take it offer of 3500. Then the used car mgr came by and I told him story of the offer from

carmax. Carmax had offered me 4000. I told them they had offered 4300. He said if you have the document. At this time I did have the document but since it did say 4000 I did not show it to him. We told them we will buy car without trading. While they were looking at the papers, I changed my mind and went and showed him the carmax offer. Now he would not budge said 2700.

Then I saw the purchase document and it had 399 listed for splashguard package. I threw a fit and said either you remove it or I am not paying for it. she did not budge. Later I said I will pay only 100 for it. She went to her manager and came back saying that she can offer it only at 299.

I told her I want to see other cars which do not have this package. she told me they dont have any 09 like that.

I said forget it and walked out of the dealer shop -- expecting the lady L to call me after 5 minutes.

Time now is 6 pm (dealer closes at 6pm). My wife was extremely pissed and took it out on me. She had a mental breakdown with the stress and no food and finally after filling gas - I went back to same dealer (even though another dealer I was talking to was open another hour but was prob 20 minutes from where we were then).

I told the lady we accept it. The deal still ripped me on the tax for dealer incentive which she took from me. The lady did not really do a good job showing us the manual. Finance dept was quicker since they knew my details and I paid in cash. Did not buy any of their warranty etc.

Finally got the car and left the dealer at 9:50 pm ( almost 7 hours there). F*** slow and lousy service.

Here are the details of the car --

+299
    +500 dealer incentive
    ---

1302 tax on 21048 6.25 %

151 documentation fees
    7.50 county tax

some other fees I dont remember

====
    Total was 22048

The VIN number starts with JH (made in Japan) -- hell the subaru was also made in japan that did not turn out so well. Anyway I did not want VIN starting with 3.

So yes I still have subaru and now I have 4 cars and 2 drivers. Maybe I will start a car museum!
  • netak1netak1 Member Posts: 21
    So you decided on the CRV after all? Nice! Sounds like you got a good deal. Curious.....is the 3.95% through American Honda Finance Corp or did you set it up with a 3rd party? I've always been told AHFCs rates were around 6.99% for 60 months and figured I'd probably look elsewhere for a cheaper rate when I'm ready to buy.
    I got a fair deal, about $300 over Edmunds TMV actually, but I usually find it hard to match their TMV. If the dealers won't sell for that price, and the Toyta and Honda deales by me won't, what can you do?

The 3.95 was from a credit union. I did not check Honda's rates, but the F&I guy told me there was no way he could match the credit union.

I think 3.95 is the credit unions best rate for new cars. I could have had that rate for anything up to 66 months, but I just wanted 48 months. The last thing I want is repair bills and car payments at the same time. Hopefully, I'll pay it off in 36-40 months. It's a small loan, around $8500. Should be about $195 per month.
    BTW-A "J" in the VIN does not mean it's built in Japan. Only if the first character of the VIN is a "J" is it built in Japan.

Mine starts with 5J

1 is US, 2 is Canada, 3,4,5 are US, J is Japan, not sur what Mexico and Germany are.

I'm just as happy mine is assembled here. I think they have it down to a science and can assemble them anywhere. Now no one can say I'm not patriotic!
    I don't think the dealers are budging much on price. '09 stock is low and it sounds like it will be late Oct before the '10s start rolling in. Like you said, it was a fair deal.

3rd party seems the way to go for a loan. I've never seen the CRV have an APR special, and I refuse to pay 6.99%. :D

Thanks for sharing your experience and look forward to hearing how you like the car once you get it! :D
    jik-I can see you're upset. I know exactly how you feel. It's tough to deal with money and the dealers have many ways to make extra profit off you. So maybe I shouldn't even mention this, or maybe I misunderstand what you wrote, but you seem to be adding the $500 dealer incentive back INTO the price. I know that by me the only incentive is manufacturer to dealer, $500. It's up to the dealer if they wish t share this with the customer. It's not a rebate. But in any case, it should not be ADDED to the price of the car. This is probably why a few people wanted to know who was giving you that price, it was probably too low.

At this point, you should probably just focus on having a nice, new reliable car.

Maybe you can sell the Subaru as a "fixer upper", if someone is wiling to take care of the sensor, or whatever is setting off the CEL, and buy 4 new tires, they have good transportation. Anything you get over $2700 is extra profit for you. I would put it in the paper for $3900 and be prepared to be bargained down to $3300. Even after the cost of the ad, you should still be ahead $500+
    I'll let you know how I like it. I have been driving two Pathfinders since around 2000, a 1995 and then a 2000. I really like trucks and sitting up high.

I would advise anyone to look into a credit union. From what I see, if a parent, spouse, child, whomever can join the union, usually immediate family can too.

I did see Bank of America offering 4.1% on line, but there is a $200 application fee (probably well worth paying).
  • matchbox20_ismatchbox20_is Member Posts: 2
    In June we finally bought our CR-V after shopping since April. Got a 2009 CR-V EX 4WD with no add-ons except wheel locks. The dealer I bought it from had to do a dealer trade to get the color we wanted (Green Tea), and the other dealer had already put the wheel locks on, so they didn't bother taking them off and didn't charge us for them. I negotiated a price of $22,700 + TTL with them, plus $200 for them to do the dealer trade. So, the final total was $22,900 + TTL. Flew out of state to do the deal and when I got there they tried to to tack on a $399 dealer doc fee. They said every car must have this fee. Luckily I had secured the deal with them in writing via email and showed them that they agreed to add no other fees on it. So, they adjusted the price to $22,501 and applied the fee. Fine with me. Financed at 5.99% over 60 months through Honda Financial.

Just wanted to add my story here since these stories really helped me shop for a true good price. While this wasn't the best price on this forum, I felt that we really got a good deal and the dealer didn't make much off us at all.
  • jonrobertsonjonrobertson Member Posts: 6
    @russ0195: sounds like i'm in the right ballpark. The $24000 (including destination) is for a blue 2010 EX 4WD not including tax, title, registration. thanks for sharing.
  • russ01915russ01915 Member Posts: 2
    It's hard to get a handle on the pricing of a 2010 CR-V at the moment. There are very few around and very few have been sold. I went back and did some comparisons of trade ins for a few years and it seems that there is about $1,200 difference between the model years. Using this data,2010 CR-V EX 4WD $24,058 -$1,200=$22,858 for a 2009 CR-V EX 4WD.
    Here is Honda's press release on 2010 pricing.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=5184

For an EX 4WD, MSRP is listed as 25,095
    For 2009, it was listed as 24,695.

Difference of $400 if just comparing MSRP. I think the EXL was $500 more.
    couple of dealers actually .. remember I am talking about 4wd LX.

ohare honda, honda on grand, honda city send me your email address I can tell you who to contact here

mine -- jk_send@yahoo.com
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I've always been told AHFCs rates were around 6.99% for 60 months and figured I'd probably look elsewhere for a cheaper rate when I'm ready to buy

There is no such thing as "always" I financed the Civic at 1.9% for 60 months, and the CR-V at 2.9 for 60 months. You just have to catch them, when they have those deals. Usually 1-2 weeks at the end of a quarter.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I think the splashguards cost around $150, and installation is probably 30-60 minutes. OS $299 isn't terrible.

All cars drip water from the evaporator coil in the A/C system. The CR-V seems to have a very good A/C system with plenty of latent capacity (removes more humidty from the air), so it produces lots of water. Now...if the condensate water leaks inside the pasenger compartment.. then you have a plugged drain or drain tube.

Have you looked under the spare tire? The tire iron should be in a vinyl pouch.

The only 2 tires available on the CR-V are the Bridgestone dualers and the Continentals. Most reviews indicate the Continnetals are slightly better, but both offer mediocre performance.
    Apologies for not being clearer. I mentioned in my previous post...."I've always been told the rate was 6.99%".....not "I've been told the rates are always 6.99%". I'm sure there are instances there have been lower APRs for the CRV.....I've just "always been told" the current APR was 6.99% and there were no specials whenever I've inquired in the dealership or via email.

Once a salesman said they had an APR special for a few days, but he also stated they were not honoring internet quotes or any other "deals" on the car during that time. So the low APR would be counterbalanced by a higher car price.

When I'm ready, I will have to keep an eye out around quarter end and see if I can get a low APR coupled with a decent deal on the car itself. :D
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Finally one came in, 2010 EX-L, and out the door was $27,388.00,some add on's such as tinting, wood trim for dash, fog lights that I paid Invoice. About $26,066.00 (Invoice + Delivery cost ) Pick up Friday. Price would have been a bit better but I had a 2010 Insight that I traded and you all know how that goes.
    Sounds like a very good price. I'm guessing they plan on making good money reselling the Insight.
    I believe Honda APRs are 5.9%. Doubt they drop them often since they have little trouble selling their stock. The exception being the Pilot if gas prices spike and stay up.
    Nope.

They are taking it to the Auction site for sale. My dealership does not keep cars that are only one or two years old, but slightly older. Don't know why and that is not good for a trade in since the auction site will normally dictate what one gets. In my case it was about $17,500 for the EX model, no Nav.
    chuckfromli --

Just curious so you think the price I got of 20249 + dealer options + 30 additional tax on the 500 dollar incentive+doc was a good price? For 4WD LX

I realized that they should not be charging me for that incentive but they did not budge and it was already 5 hours at the dealer we were exhausted.

As far as nice and reliable -- reliable verdict will be 10 years from now. Actually some of the features Subaru had were nice like heated windows, seats, 5 CD, bigger engine, autolight shutoff, leather steering, smaller SUV (atleast mine 2001 was). None of these are in CRV. But then I bought LX and not EX. CRV is little difficult to climb into.

Hopefully I will not get the engine light, busted bearing, etc issues I had with subaru.
    You're probably right.....it was probably 5.9%. My memory is horrible. :D All I remember was it was more than I wanted to pay and I've never encountered any APR "specials" on the CRV. I'll definitely look into the credit union option.
    Yep jik, the LX does not have want you had in the Subaru but the EX has all those, heated seats in learther, auto turn off lights, 5 CD changer, leather steering, 8 way auto seats, etc

Good luck with the LX
    I am not sure if it is a good price/great price/fair price. Some people on this board seemed to think it was TOO cheap, so I suspect it is a very good price. Just price the car on Edmunds using their TMV, if you are within a hundred or two of that, it is good to great. You can also check the selling prices by you at truecar.com.

I was just concerned that you didn't pay $20,250. It seems they added the $500 incentive INTO the price you paid, so you really paid $20,750 plus the mudguards. Maybe I misunderstood your post, but that's what it seemed like to me.

Either way, it's a done deal. Enjoy!