Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cwrigh01cwrigh01 Posts: 23
    thanks for the reply. A quick glance at Mazda's website "dealer inventory" shows a ton of 5-speed 6s's in Texas. I know that they include ordered cars, but hopefully if I am negotiable on the color I could find something when I sell the car--and it seems they are ordering them all loaded which is how I want mine. :)
  • pyranhamdpyranhamd Posts: 15
    my 6. Walked into my local dealer, told him what I wanted, and discovered that he has the exact car (minus Bose audio) arriving next week. The guy that ordered it backed out, so it's now mine:) What I got:

6S MT Steel Grey
    Comfort
    Sport
    Moon Roof
    Wheel Locks

Asked for and got $500 over invoice, which came out to even invoice with the college grad rebate. Out the door at $ 23, 930. Can't WAIT to take possession next week!
  • alcjewalcjew Posts: 173
    pyranhamd: Get ready to Zoom-Zoom! You won't be disappointed with the 6s! Have almost 3500 miles and it is as solid as the day I drove it home from the dealer. Good luck on your new purchase!
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    I was offered a 6i at $60 over invoice, plus $100 for a doc fee. Do you think I should take it?
  • toolman02toolman02 Posts: 59
    It doesn't get much better than that. And that doc fee, i think just about everyone has to pay (or at least here in CA).

If they have one with the options you want, go for it.
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Posts: 350
    I didn't have to pay the document prep fee, but he said that's because I have the Supplier Discount (S-Plan) pricing deal. And the doc fee here (Michigan) was $120, not $100, if I'd had to pay it. I'm glad I don't. :)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    are a dealer charge so S-planners are exempted per Mazda. You can fight the dealer for it but you might suffer ill repor while trying to grab those few extra bucks off the salesperson's dinner table.
    Yes, it has EXACTLY the options I want! What am I waiting for? I have a 3-year old car now that I'll have to eat the depreciation on. Not a pleasant thought for sure, but you gotta have some fun, right?
    I hear ya on the depreciation hit. My 5 year old car is worth next to nothing, even with only 60k miles on it.

When I ordered, the salesman said I would probably take a $700 to $800 depreciation hit by waiting the three months for the car to come in. But according to my math:

Next to Nothing - $700 = Next to Nothing. Would a 5 year old car depreciate that much in just three months?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    You can also check Kelley (sp?) Blue Book and local ads for comparable cars. I think he's exaggerating the depreciation. It's steepest in the first 2 years, but it depends on the vehicle.
    I've checked Kelley's blue book value for my car, but I wonder how much the mazda dealer will offer me when I trade it in for my 6. I'll probably just try to figure out one value I won't go below, and if he won't go that high I'll try to sell it myself.

Anybody who traded in their car for their 6 have any comments?
  • den1jenden1jen Posts: 3
    Just wanted to know if $24.7K out the door(no doc fee) for a 6S with auto, sport, comfort, leather, sunroof, bose and side airbags/curtains is a good deal?
    Is that including sales tax, plate, etc.? If so, seems like a good deal to me.

I'm getting an "i" model 4-cyl. with all that other stuff, and with 6% sales tax, license plate, title, etc., my total is around $23,800. And that's for the "i", not the "s" model. Mine is on the S-Plan discount program.
    Yes, that price($24.7K) is out the door(sales tax, tags, title, no doc fees). Acutally it is about 250 below dealer invoice, I hope it is I bought the car. If not oh well.
  • skyrayskyray Posts: 156
    Generally the better value you get on a trade, the less value you'll get on the purchase.

I made about $2,000 more selling my Miata privately than I'd have made on the trade. And I probably could have made $3,000 if I'd been greedy and patient -- I priced it reasonably so it'd sell quickly.
    den1jen: Your OTD price ($24.7K) seems like a good deal. Invoice price from your spec is about $23042 without the sales tax. You didn't get the compass auto-dimming rear mirror w/ or w/o the Homelink?
    alcjew, actually the dealer invoice for the car was 23,975 so I got it for 275 below invoice, and no I didn't get the auto-dim, wish I had, but I can have the dealer add it. I don't want the homelink just the auto-dim.
  • lugerxulugerxu Posts: 2
    I was just wondering what I should expect to pay on a 6s with Moonroof, Leather, Sports Pkg., Comfort Pkg, & Bose.

In addition, I receive the Mazda Employee discount because of my company's affiliation with them, but how do I go about letting the sales person know that & still be able to negotiate the final price. I don't want to be screwed from receiving a low price just because I receive a discount already.

Thanks!
    There is no negotiating when you have a Supplier or Employee discount plan. Go to www.fordpartner.com . You will have to enter your Partner Code for your company in, and then it will let you into the site to explain all the aspects of the discount plan. Then you fill out a form online and Submit it, and you will get a PIN number. When you go to the dealer, give them your PIN number and tell them you are a Supplier, and do they participate in Supplier pricing (it's not mandatory for dealers to do so, so you might have to try another dealer if the first one doesn't). There is no negotiation - the Discount program dictates a set price based on what model/packages/options you choose.
  • lugerxulugerxu Posts: 2
    I was just wondering what I should expect to pay on a 6s with Moonroof, Leather, Sports Pkg., Comfort Pkg, & Bose.

In addition, I receive the Mazda Employee discount because of my company's affiliation with them, but how do I go about letting the sales person know that & still be able to negotiate the final price. I don't want to be screwed from receiving a low price just because I receive a discount already.

Thanks!
  • shawnvtshawnvt Posts: 13
    My wife and I bought our first car, a new Mazda 6i, from Duncan Ford Mazda in Blacksburg, Virginia. We were pleased with our first experience (i can give the name of our sales guy if interested). We were originally looking for a loaded 6S, but there were none to be found in the color(s) (Steel Gray Metallic or Onyx Black) we wanted, even at the port or at dealers in 8 surrounding states (so the dealer said). We ended up locating a Steel Metallic gray Loaded 6i in Greensboro, NC about 90 miles away. This is what we got:
    +4-AT
    +Premium
    +Sport Package
    +Bose
    +Leather
    +Comfort
    +Side Airbags
    +Traction/ABS
    +Moonroof
    The original invoice was about 22,294. Our sales guy said it would cost about 700 more to get it up here and we had originally settled on 500 over invoice, so we ended up paying 23500 for it. This is just below edmunds'TMV for the car (23,786). Since this was my first buying experience, I made a few mistakes, one being agreeing on an amount over invoice before figuring out what the invoice was. But, since there is such a demand for the loaded models, I felt this was a fair price. Another dealer said that I should expect to pay about 1000 to 1400 over dealer invoice becuase of the popularity. Nonetheless, I probably could have got it for 23000 the second time around.

We took the car on a trip to Knoxville TN about 2 hours after we bought it and my wife and I agree it is a very sweet ride. She will probably get one soon too. We are a little dissappointed in the heated seats...they don't seem to heat too well. My mother in law has a VW Jetta with heated seats that actually get hot. Otherwise, the car is awesome, handling, pickup, room, styling, etc.

We also test drove the new Sonata, Accord, Saturn L200, and Acura RSX. While I thought the RSX was sweet, my wife didn't. The 6 had a better ride than all of the cars we testdrove. I think the accord 4 cylinder has more pep than the 6i though. The hyundai is a piece of crap.

Well, hope to see more Mazda 6's on the road in the future...it is a sweet ride!

Shawn
    A couple of points:
    - Don't rely too much on Edmunds TMV. I was offered a 6i-5MT for $66 over invoice (plus $100 doc fee). TMV for my area is WAY higher than that. Yes, I had the offer in writing.
    - Watch out for dealers that quote you a great price, then add on a bunch of fees. They know you can get invoice pricing, so they play this game where they offer the great price and get you all excited about getting the car, than the F&I manager hits you with the fees. Ask about extra fees when you get the quote. They're getting real creative with this stuff, so watch out. Some dealers will even claim or imply that these fees are required by the state/locality, or bundle it all together with TT&L. The salesperson may try to play dumb about it, saying he/she doesn't know what they are. Don't fall for it. Sometimes they don't seem to understand the question, so you may have to ask a few times.
    - Remember that these guys are pros, and you're not. They do this stuff all day, and they're good at it. So much so that they can rip you off and you won't even know it. I know this sounds harsh, but it's the way it is. Not all dealerships and salespeople are like that. Don't assume thay are, and don't assume they aren't. There are a lot a honest, straightforward ones out there too. Give them your business if you can.

Incidently, I didn't take the deal. I think I've decided to hold out for a 6s-5MT, but I'll have to order it. The first offer for the 6i was $500 higher. The sales guy was not offended that I didn't fall for any tricks. These including a $495 "protection package" on an add-on window sticker, that he finally admitted really wasn't on the car yet. You just have to be firm, but polite.
  • digbynydigbyny Posts: 9
    I've been reading this board for a while and I am a little confused. I keep reading about the "S-plan" which if I understand correctly is for employess or relatives of ford/mazda. Is everybody on this board one of the above? How is the S-plan different from an ordinary person going in to purchase a Mazda 6i? Is there a big difference in price?

The area I live in the best quote I've been able to get is $500 over invoice for a 6i. Does that sound like a good deal to you all? I appreciate you comments.

Thanks!!
    I think people on the S-plan get it for a little under invoice.

I didn't get the S-plan. If you are looking for a 6i AT, you might be able to do better than that, since it seems those make up about 90% of every dealer's inventory. If you want a 6i MT, that deal isn't bad. That's what I'll be paying when mine arrives, but I get the grad rebate on top of that.

I think it really depends on the transmission, since the MT are high in demand and low in supply.
  • digbynydigbyny Posts: 9
    I'm looking for a 6i AT. Is the grad rebate being offered only on the west coast? I'm on the east coast and not one dealership has mentioned it.

I wouldn't mind paying $500 over invoice if I got the $500 grad rebate.
    I'm curious how you got the 500 over invoice offer. It's OK, but you may be able to do better. The first offer I got was 566 over, then they dropped it by 500 bucks when I said the dreaded "I'll have to think about it". It wasn't a lie, I really wasn't sure I wanted the 6i (rather than the the 6s). Incidently, the guy has called me back twice since then.

If 500 over was the first offer they gave you, they may go lower if you tell then you're ready to take the offer if they can do better. If they ask "what would you be willing to pay?", tell them invoice. Let them tell you that's ridulous, then see what they offer. When they get down to 200-300 over invoice, tell them OK, but you want the college grad rebate too. Remember, the manufacturer is paying the college grad rebate, not the dealer, so it doesn't cost them anything.
    shawnvt: You're not the only one disappointed about the seats not being warm/hot enough. Maybe you need to have it calibrated. The heater seat switch is the first thing I turn on in the morning after starting my 6. It usually takes about 20 secs or so to get warm but after some time my buns get pretty toasty and have to turn it off (passenger side too) at times. With the last several cold snaps (single digit temps) here in New England those heated seats are sure a well worth feature.
  • shawnvtshawnvt Posts: 13
    digbyny: I live in VA and am getting the Grad rebate. My dealer sends my information to Mazda and Mazda send me a check for $500 in a couple of months.

mazda6s: I should have followed your advice when I bought my 6i for $500 over invoice...maybe when my wife buys one we will be able to get it for $66 over.

alcjew: The other day when it was colder in the morning, my wife said she could feel the heated seats working. I read somewhere that the temperature of the sets depends on ambient temperature, and may not work if it is too warm outside.

I was thinking of getting the shock perimeter alarm upgrade, from mazdastuff.com ($44). Is this a worthwhile purchase? What are its features? If you have installed it aftermarket, was it hard (taking things apart)?

Thanks
    Shawn
  • absolutabsolut Posts: 2
    I bought a 6s back in January... Before they raised their prices on it :)

I got a 6s, glacier silver metallic, complete with the sports package, comfort package, power moonroof, auto-dim homelink mirror, and leather interior. I paid $23,300 which is $300 over invoice and before the grad discount. After the grad discount it was $22,800 and below invoice. I was happy with the deal and love driving my 6!

I also have installed the sports grill and a set of clear taillights. Coming soon will be an aftermarket installed navigation system since we couldnt get it as an option like everyone else did overseas :P
    Did the dealer stick you with any extra charges or fees?