Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I was on the highway alone, returning from visiting my dad across town. The highway I was on is less than a year old, and is part of a new western beltway around my city. Since it's new and on the outskirts of town, it's pretty remote and void of development. It was 10 p.m., and it was very dark with very little traffic.

I was casually cruising at about 70 in the right-hand lane, when this car appeared in the left-hand lane behind me. Like me, it had its headlights and driving lights on (lots of deer out there). But it persisted where it was, right in my left-hand blind spot, just behind me, matching my speed. This went on for about 15 miles and I started to get a little flustered, so I hit "cancel" on the cruise control and slowed down a little. Well, they slowed down too. Dammit! Another five miles went by. I finally slowed down more, and they sloowwwwly crept by me. As they passed, I glanced over and finally realized why my Velocity Red Mica 2005 Mazda3 hatch had had a shadow for 20 miles.

I was being passed by the exact same car! :shades:

She (cool!) pulled in front of me and we played hazard-signal games for a few minutes; then we took turns shadowing each other and running side-by-side for another five miles or so. (Is this called "Threeplay?") But alas, I had to exit, and I left her zooming down the highway to destinations unknown. Had this been 20 years ago, and minus that little band of gold around my left finger, I may have followed. As I exited, I swear I heard Bob Seger singing "Night Moves". Oh, to be young again.

I wonder what became of my shadow in the night ...

Meade
  • Options
    ezcompanyezcompany Member Posts: 28
    haha - very nice :D
  • Options
    as soon as I read this, I walked to the window and looked out into the parking lot.
    This girl next door drives a matrix. (decent looking, she's got nice wheels on it, leather interior)

But I rather drive a M3HB. SO MUCH more pimp!
  • Options
    Geesh, the fan in my Mazda3 is by FAR the strongest fan I've had in any car. Put it on 4 and my nostrils flare open, my cheeks flap and my toupee hits the back window.

:P

Meade
  • Options
    lifestarlifestar Member Posts: 44
    I know that Mazda doesn't have any spoken plans for an upcoming version of the Mz3 HB that uses hybrid technology, but how many of you guys would consider purchasing it? Before I settled on the Mz3 HB, I was considering the Civic and Accord hybrids... the idea of saving a few bucks at the gas pump sounded really appealing to me. I know that there are spoken plans of the Mz6 having a hybrid engine in the future, but there was nothing mentioned for the Mz3 which I would have thought would be the first to get it. Sorta how Civic was first before Accord for Honda.
  • Options
    ... before I ever consider one. How long do the batteries last? Are they warranted? How much do/will they cost to replace? I've got a lot of worries about these cars, especially from companies like Ford who still seem to have trouble making reliable gasoline engines. If they can't get century-old technology right, I sure have my doubts about the long-term reliability of any newer technologies they adopt.

I see it in the same way as buying a flat-screen TV right now. I haven't; I still have my 36-inch Toshiba with the old-fashioned (but very reliable) tube. I want to see how long these plasmas, LCDs and DLPs last before I plunk down a coupla kilobucks on one. Same thing with hybrid cars. Let me see one after it's got 100,000 miles on it, and then I'll decide.

Meade
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Rather than take this discussion off the current Mazda3, we can start a new discussion in the Future Vehicles or Hybrid Vehicles board (use your browse by board pulldown menu on the left) to discuss this.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Tomorrow morning, bright and early, me and my Velocity Red hatch will be zooming westward toward the Blue Ridge Parkway in southwest Virginia -- our first road trip together. Oil changed just last week, car washed this afternoon -- we plan to turn some heads on the byways we'll be taking westward. No interstates for us, though there are plenty of them -- nope, I've already mapped out the trip taking some state highways I've never taken in my 40 years living in Virginia. Virginia Route 40, for the most part. (How fitting, taking 40 at 40.) Farmland, foothills and several state parks along the way, along with Smith Mountain Lake -- the largest man-made lake in Virginia. I'll even be zooming through Franklin County, famous for its moonshine!

Yep, a four-day weekend in the mountains, just by myself. How does that old beer commercial go?

"Man, it don't get no better than this."

Keep it in the road while I'm gone, gentlemen! I'll return with some highway mpg numbers fer ye!

Meade
  • Options
    GOD SPEED :shades:
  • Options
    http://www.autogeek.net/
    I went there - they got some nice tips on waxing/washing your car.
    How to take care of the exterior and interior.
    some nice tips on wheel care as well.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    During my car transport days I used to map out some "back road time" during my trips. It's amazing what you miss by staying on the interstate.
  • Options
    mysterionxxxmysterionxxx Member Posts: 1
    Well after much debate I bought a Mazda3 5-door hatch. Like a lot of you I was going back and forth between the Scion Tc and the Toyota Matrix. My friend recently got a Tc and although a very nice car with amazing features it really didn't do anything for me. The steering seemed a little mushy for a sporty car, to heavy I think. Also being in LA and lots of tight parking the two big doors didn't appeal to me. I did however love the stereo and the MP3 compatibility. The Mazda stereo is ok, but could be better. The Toyota Matrix was nice, but again it didn't move me. Also under powered unless you get the 6 speed manual. No thanks. I'm a lazy LA traffic driver. The thought of sitting 2 hrs in traffic to go 35 miles driving a stick would be more than I could stand. When I test drove the Mazda3 I knew this was the car I was going to buy. I was a little concerned about the AC, and to be honest it isn't great in the So Cal heat, but it will cool the cabin to a comfortable temperature, given the time. So far other than that minor disappointment the two weeks I've had the car have been great. Even had a couple people ask to look at the car at the gas station. Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks to everyone who posted on this forum because it helped me decide.

Oh mine is Titanium Metallic, auto, sunroof/ 6disc and the ABS/Airbag package.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Is yours a 2004 or a 2005? I keep seeing posts that claim the weak AC was mainly the 2004 model. At least you went in knowing that the AC could be a problem - I found out the hard way.

The tech from Mazda says there have been no changes to the HVAC system - I told him I would be will to pay - out of my own pocket to change over to updated AC - I figured even if it was a few hundred $ it would be worth it.

Having the windows tinted tomorrow (black/black 2004 Mazsda3 S) - when the service manager ask me if I would be willing to get the windows tinted I said - no - but then I went in to the dealership and saw a tinted Mazda sitting right next to one with stock - almost clear glass. I changed my mind on the spot. I guess I never really noticed how clear the glass is on the Mazda3.
  • Options
    modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    The question for you is,

WILL YOU PLEASE GET OFF THE AC ALREADY??? :cry:

I already stopped reading the prices paid and problems forums because I have heard enough about the AC being a problem. Can you please take it back to the problems forum.

Thanks

Sorry Just Venting :P
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    A friend with a history of driving very old, very bad cars asked for help last night with finding a car. I still believe she should buy a place before car but regardless, she was intrigued by what I told her about the mazda3.

The hitch, she believes her rotten mechanic's lies that Mazdas are unreliable. hmm, this guy is making a mint repairing her old american car and my friend's mom's american car...but mazdas are unreliable?!

My family's owned mazdas for over 15 years. Biggest repair bill ever was a slave cylinder on my sister's old miata.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Agreed. I just moved the latest round of posts on AC to the Mazda3 Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Ok, let's look at this carefully:

She drives old rotten cars.
    She takes them to the mechanic, who makes a ton of money fixing it
    Ergo, so long as she drives old, rotten cars, said mechanic makes a ton of money.
    Further, if she buys a new car with a warranty, he loses a bunch of buisness.
    Thusly, asking her mechanic for advice is a pretty bad idea. ;)

Might be better to find a mechanic who doesn't stand to lose money if he gives truthful advice. :)
  • Options
    I have a Picture of Mazda 3 Interior with the Climate info diplayed on the center information Display. why the heck no Climat Control - feels so weird if part of the display has nothing on it.- ALWAYS!
    Does anyone's Mazda show climate Info ?
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Not on this side of the Pond. Only EU Mazdas get the Automatic Climate Control and the full display. Another difference, on the "i" models, the EU "i" gets a chrome grille bar above the logo, similar to th Mazda6's; the North American "i" model grilles are all-black. Rather cheap-looking. :(

fowler3
  • Options
    agreed - rather Cheap looking and more plastic..but still,looks better than other cars/hb's around. there is probably a way to get someone to custom install the climate control.
    neways. I finally got in touch with BOSE and found this about the BOSe Audio System in SP23 models.

(1) A 1.5 Inch tweeter in each front door
    (2) A 6.5 inch low/mid range speaker in each door
    (3) A 5.25 Inch Rich Bass woofer in customized, 4.5 liter ported, tuned enclosure under the front passenger seat.
    (4) Bose digital amp with 5 channels of custom equalization mounted under the drivers seat.

pretty sick - it saves space in the trunk for other things :)
  • Options
    lifestarlifestar Member Posts: 44
    Hey, does anyone know what is the recommended tire pressure for the MZ3 hatchback? I tried to look that up on the sticker at the driver's door, but I could understand the #s they had on there. It didn't have the standard PSI #s and all. Is this info in the manual or do I need to learn german or something?
  • Options
    cticti Member Posts: 131
    32 psi.

Jason
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Well I finally got a chance to go into the local Mazda dealership and see a Mazda 3 up close and personal.

Pics and specs don't do this thing justice. It's a very good looking vehicle. Unfortunatley it was very near closing time of the dealership when I got there so I sat in it, but I didn't want to bother the sales guy for a test drive that day, but if it lives up to its reputation, I'm sold.

After seeing some more (better detailed) spy pics of the 2006 Civic, my other consieration for new car, it is pretty much out of the race. Now all I have to do is wait to the end of August and decide if I want a 2005 or wait a few more weeks for a 2006 if there are any improvements over the '05 (I've read rumors of a 5 speed auto, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!)

Waiting can be so hard!
  • Options
    "Good Looking Car" - Damn right it is!
    The only other car that comes close (in terms of looks / power ) is the VW GTi.But the 3 has a better Interior. I suggest you wait for 06 models to come out - then the 05's would go out the door a little cheaper. go for Auto if you can, its a little bit more $$$ but more practical. Plus you get triptronic shifter so you still have manual at your disposal.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    go for Auto if you can, its a little bit more $$$ but more practical. Plus you get triptronic shifter so you still have manual at your disposal.

1. It costs more.
    2. It gets worse mileage.
    3. It will cost more to repair.
    4. The car is FAR slower with the automatic.
    5. Tiptronic is not in any way a replacement for a manual.

Mazda makes some of the best manuals around. If you like to drive and you're not lazy, go for the manual version of the Mazda3. It's a night and day difference. With a manual the car has some pep and is fun. with an automatic...it's neutered.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Anyway, Tiptronic is Porsche/Audi/VW only, not Mazda.
  • Options
    come on you know people use the term tiptronic to refer to any hokey automatic with a "manual" feature. heck, I've even seen people on bimmer boards call the steptronic a tiptronic.
  • Options
    sure, and people like to call the Mazda3 a M3. :cry:
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    If you like to drive and you're not lazy,

Let's not start going there, because you might start a war. Some people (who aren't lazy) prefer autos, and others prefer manuals. We should all just be one happy Mazda-havin family. :) Besides, that shiftable automatic IS a lot of fun too.

"we will be able to speed up that day when all of Detroit's children - manual ones and automatic ones, pearls and metallics, sedans and hatches - will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual: "Zoom Zoom Zoom!"

I know, he didn't say that. But if he was around today, i think he would. :)
  • Options
    joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Thanks anyone.
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    MZ 3 is a mazda 3.

I have driven a manual for a while now. A 1997 Chevy Cavalier Z24 and before that a manual 95 Jeep Wrangler.

I just don't like worrying about what gear I need to be in when the idiot in front of me slows to 25 blow the limit on the highway, or if I am revving to high (2,000) on take off, or if my clutch is going bad or if I am being too hard on my clutch.

I like to just hit the gas and go.

On the other hand, I do like shifting at full throtle and red line when getting on the highway. But most of my driving is in the city, stop and go.
  • Options
    bunk1968bunk1968 Member Posts: 119
    Just curious, I filled up my Mazda 3 hatch for the first time and used regular, should I have used premium for any reason?
    Also, should I follow the 5000 mile oil change or go with 3000 just in case?
    Does anyone know about some product from 3M to stop scratches on the front of ths car? I heard about this once before. It was some kind of clear cover or something?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I put it on my RSX Type S and bought stoneguard for fog lamps. I broke the lenses twice@ $123.00 a pop.
    Go to Xpel .com they make a clear mask . It's the material that is used on airplane props. Got it on my Type S and you can't see it. Goes on using baby shampoo . Live in Maine and we have tough winters .
  • Options
    Just curious, I filled up my Mazda 3 hatch for the first time and used regular, should I have used premium for any reason?
    No, your engine was designed to run on regular.

Also, should I follow the 5000 mile oil change or go with 3000 just in case?
    There are plenty of opinions on this, and a little mythology as well. My own thinking is that changing oil at 3000 is overkill and environmentally wasteful. I haven't seen any solid evidence that changing at 3000 significantly improves engine life. Of course the oil change places and oil companies would like you to believe it does. Incidently, I drove a 1986 Mazda 626 for 244000 miles just changing the oil at 5000, sometimes more than that.
  • Options
    Those that think M/Ts are the ONLY trannies on the planet are at the age(s) they can enjoy them, the rest of us are probably way past that stage. Maybe A/Ts should be called M/Ts = Mature Transmissions. ;)

I drove M/Ts for 18 years and loved them, but age made me realize it was time to go A/T. Not that the change was a bad thing. Al-city driving kills the advantages of M/T. No twisty roads just straight ones. Long traffic lights wear out clutches fast and new slushboxes aren't cheap.

Enjoy your M/Ts while you can -- your time is coming. :D

fowler3
  • Options
    For insurance purposes is a 160 H.P. considered a sports car?
    Thanks
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "For insurance purposes is a 160 H.P. considered a sports car?"

If you're asking if the insurance industry has a blanket criteria that any vehicle with 160 hp (or more) is a 'sports car', the answer is "no".

Consider: the 'weakest' 4-cylinder Accord, Camry, Altima, and Mazda6 all have at least 160hp. I doubt anyone considers them to be 'sports cars'.

Typically, insurer's will just look at things like # of doors, # of seats, and if the vehicle is FWD or RWD to determine if it qualifies as a 'sports car' for insurance purposes. Even the upcoming Mazdaspeed3, which should have something in the range of 220hp, would not qualify as a 'sports car' for insurance purposes.
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I'm 51 and just went in the other direction.
    After owning nothing but manual transmissions, I bought my first new vehicle with automatic transmission in 92. Traded it in a month ago for a Mazda3 with manual transmission. I've really enjoyed the feel of driving with a manual ever since I bought the 3.
    The biggest problem I had with AT was when the transmission died in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the middle of the Holland Tunnel, headed to NYC in sweltering heat. Not a fun experience!
    My biggest drawback in years of MT was when I spent four months in the hospital due to a severely broken left femur. When I got out of the hospital, I couldn't drive the car for a couple of months because I couldn't work the clutch - an AT would have been handy then!
  • Options
    Since my 16 year old will soon take over the Mazda3 as her daily driver we ask our insurance company to give us prices on several vehicles BEFORE we bought.

There was no difference in cost between the Civic, Corolla and Mazda3. My agent (State Farm BTW) said that they classify all 4 banger economy cars the same. She also said that if there is a difference it is normally due to the repair cost - if one model ends up costing a lot more to fix after a fender bender for example - or if one car ends up with a significantly higher injury rate then they will adjust the rate.

Although the Mazda3 is sporty - it is not even close to being considered a sports car.
  • Options
    ...enough to shift for yourself. Older drivers like myself rely on paraplegic devices (A/Ts) to minamize our arthritis pains. But even youngsters like you appreciate audio buttons on the steering wheel for those wearing trifocals. Lumbar support prevents curvature of the spine in old age, which may start in the 50s. ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    What have people been paying for Oil Change prices? My dealership (Sussman Mazda) in Willow Grove (suburb of Philly) got me for $42 and some change. Simply ridiculous. I almost smacked the service manager in the face when I saw that price. He claims because of the special filter and "O" ring, the 3's oil change costs more. I just paid in left before I caused a scene.
  • Options
    x5918x5918 Member Posts: 30
    I bought the 2005 Mazda3s hatchback, but my wife refuses to drive it, because she claims that she can not see out of the windows properly. Checking the blind spots is difficult because the center pilar obstructs the view. She says she wanna drive the -99 Civic instead. I installed an extra blindspot on driver side, and removed the headrests from the backseats. Is there any aftermarket gadgets that can warn is some car is sneaking into the blind spots. Esp. Crazy Texas drivers!

Some difficulties: the mirrors are smaller than in Civic, and the drivers seat inclines in fewer increments. I tried the height adjustment, but I didn't help visibility issue. The side windows has tint, but it was accomplished with glued on film, rather than beeing in the glass itself. During night driving the passenger side is BLACKED OUT, because the film somehow absorbs ligh arriving from oblique angle. In Texas carzy drivers passes on your left/right as the please, so I'm really worried I get into accident. Please help.
  • Options
    I don't understand why you can't adjust the side view mirror so you can see cars on the side / eliminate the blind spot. If your side mirror is adjusted properly you should NOT be able to see the side of your own car - I know this is a common mistake. Keep adjusting it out just past the point where you can no longer see the side of your car. A good time to adjust your mirrors / check for blind spots is when you are stopped at a red light with cars all around you. It is safe because you are not moving.

My daughter just took drivers Ed and they now teach you to use the mirrors - and NOT turn your head around to look behind - I guess the act of cranking your head around and looking behind you means you are taking your eyes off the road in front of you for a longer time than if you just use the mirrors -which means you have a greater risk of running into the cars ahead of you.

I assume the mirrors on the HB and Mazda3 sedan are the same.

BTW - I did not like the placement of the rear view mirror - it is too low and blocks my view to the front. The stock RV mirror only has one swivel point so it can not be adjusted up. I went to the local Ford dealership and bought a mirror for a Mustang ( part # F5SZ 17700 AA ) cost me about $20. It has an extra swivel so I can move the whole mirror up and out of the way. The mounting bracket on the Mazda3 is the same as the Mustang so it was a perfect fit.
  • Options
    Well, the first thing is that if the driver can't see out of the passenger window at night, you have a dangerous situation and that degree of tint is probably illegal in TX. So the first thing you should do is remove the tint and get it done with a legal (and safe) tint percentage.

Removing the head restraints (they're NOT headrests) has made it unsafe for your rear seat passengers, as these are there to help prevent neck injuries in the event of a collision, not for taking a nap.

Some driving lessons for your wife might help. There is nothing in the design of the Mazda3 that good driving skills can't address.
  • Options
    cticti Member Posts: 131
    I removed the rear headrest from my 3 hatchback because they block my view. My mother did the same thing with her Protege5. I can see much better now.

If I ever had anyone in the back seat I would put the headrest back in. I wouldn't even be able to see the headrest what with the person's head in the way. :P
  • Options
    I just had my windows tinted -

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN TEXAS?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Texas, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
    Front Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
    Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
    Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

If you want to look up other states go to -
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
  • Options
    Mine charges $24.95 - but almost always has a special deal going for $9.99 plus some disposal fee - so It ends up costing a little over $12. I can't hardly buy the oil and filter for $12.00 - I come out ahead before I even count the cost of the shirt I get oil on if I do it myself! :cry:

My last oil change the invoice price of the oil filter was $6.25 - but to hit the price they charge it was marked down to $5.00.

Go to this web site http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/index.html - and click on Mazda3 maintenance parts. They sell oil filters for the Mazda3 online for $5.69 each.

BTW - it includes one filter cartridge and 2 o-rings - it even shows you a picture!
  • Options
    I realize that the backseat headrestraint has its safety function in a front/rear collision. For the time beeing I seldom have any backseat passengers, so it's a calculated risk. Many older cars don't have the backseat restraints, I noticed. What i didn't mentionied in the post was that in texas we got a lot of divided highways with 3 lanes in each direction (oil money?). However problems arise when the leftmost, and middle lanes are blocked with cars moving significantly slower. At any instant, the righmost lane will convert to the speedlane, depending on how the slower moving cars on your left align with each other. Therfore "downgrading" to the right lane, for instance, to get to the exit, can sometimes be quite a challenge. Therefore just seeing the car in the rear mirror doesn't help. You have to determine if your fellow texan on your right side is going same speed, or perhaps 20 mph faster. * A generous rear window viewing angle is the best saftey IMO, but now compromised by the tint installed by the dealership. I was surprised that the extra tint film was installed, because the car was supposed to be plain vanilla, with no extra dealer intalled stuff (=base model).
  • Options
    When I got my car, I installed a blindspot mirror, for the driver side, which gives somewhat better feel of whats happening on the left side. I went to Walmart and got the $0.99 mirror, which is 2 inch in diameter.

A tip: you really don't have to settle for the blindspot mirror, as it is. I discovered that the mirror is plastic, so it allows trimming with sandpaper. Instead of the round shape I made it oval - trimming off the non-functional top and the bottom part, which don't show anything else but the sky, and the ground. I used semitransparent scotch tape, diagonally across the mirror. The tape prevents glare from the high noon sun, and also covers the right upper corner, so I don't need to look at myself while peeking at the blindspot mirror. Instead of an round "O" , the mirror its now (_\_) shaped, whith "half eylid closed". The scotch tape really made the difference, by removing glare from the sky.
  • Options
    interesting web-page about how side / wing mirrors should be adjusted, read about the "wide" view vs. side flank view.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/driving-myths-and-mistakes/settin- g-the-mirrors.htm
This discussion has been closed.