Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    x5918x5918 Member Posts: 30
    In engineering/manufacturing terms V6 engines are always more xpensive than the 4-bangers (inline four). The repair costs are lower for mainstream vehicles. Safety is quite ggod in moder cars, so your son is considerable safer now, than 10 yaers ago ** Still the greatest safety is the drivers experience, and removal of distractions, as shown by several studies, not listed here. The major distraction of teenager boys are: peer pressure, romantic daydreaming, alcohol, loud rock music etc etc. Removal of the distractions can be the most difficult task to achiebe in practice. What you can do: is to take your son to a race track, and show how your/his car behaves unders extreme conditions, such as result of excessive speed in curves, or during lane changes -- to avoid the situation that your son looses control of the vehicle in real traffic
  • Options
    I just bought the 2005 Mazda3, and was wondering too about the oilchange issue. My previous car, -99 Civic EX (VTEC) was oilchange after 7000 miles due to special engine wear in oil. Extreme driving conditions such as very hot, or cold weather qualify as good reasons for the 3000 miles oil changes. On a side note: my car batteries lasted 2 summers each, here in Texas, and then they were toast - hence first oil change should be sooner depening on the season, and region - I suspect the Mazda service department is handing out incorrect information - which, at it worst, could lessen your engine lifetime.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I can't understand why anyone would adjust their outside mirrors out so far that it would create LARGE blind spots - Just like I don't see why anyone would want to have the mirror adjusted in so tight that all you see is the side of your own car.

Seems the correct place (the one I use) is in between these two extremes.

The point is - if you adjust the mirrors so you don't have large blind spots - then you don't need to crank your head around every time you change lanes.

If you drive on busy rush hour freeways (3 or 4 lanes) then you know that the traffic can go from 65+ MPH to 10 MPH in the blink of an eye. If you look in the mirrors - then also crank your head around to look before you change lanes then you will end up ramming into the cars that have slowed down (or stopped) ahead of you.

The thing that really use to make me mad when I first started driving in heavy Houston traffic - I could not keep what felt like a safe distance between my car and the car ahead of me. If I slowed down a little to create some space then some fool would pull into the space I just created. After driving in this traffic for a few years I guess you just get use to being closer to the guy in front - even at 65+ MPH -

If you drive on roads that have very little traffic I guess the crank your head around method will work - but in heavy traffic it is a big mistake - sure to cause an accident that will be YOUR fault.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The major distraction of teenager boys are: peer pressure, romantic daydreaming, alcohol, loud rock music etc etc.

Romantic daydreaming? rock music? Uh is this the 1950s? That sentence sounds like something from school safe driving video made when the fairlane was a hip car.
  • Options
    nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    In Europe, almost all the cars come with full convex mirrors (both left and right) which show everything that is going on behind you and does not introduce any blind spots at all. And there it does not say "Objects in the rear view mirror.....", everybody knows it. I remember that my 1990 Civic had convex mirrors and I never had to turn my head. I just do not get why we get flat mirrors here in US instead of convex mirrors. When I want to switch to the left lane, I always have to turn my head to make sure that I am not sideswiping somebody. I sometimes see people turn their heads all the way around, and actually witnessed a pretty bad accident when one of those people slammed into the car in front of them.

I tried to get a convex mirror for my Honda Civic when I was in Europe on vacation, but unfortunately the mirrors on the Coupe was not in stock since they did not have the Coupe. But if I had a 4-door, I could have gotten a convex mirror and installed it myself very easily.
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    We purchased our 3 at John Kennedy Mazda in Conshohocken, PA, just a few miles away from you. They were great to deal with, and included free oil/filter changes (every 5,000 miles) for the life of the car.
  • Options
    chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    I went to John Kennedy while in the shopping stage one rainy night and was not at all satisfied with their customer service. They didn't treat me with much respect (I'm 23) and they didn't have the car I wanted (none with Xenon HIDs) yet tried to heavily push other versions even a used Mazda6. Also, the salesman told me the 3 "s" was equipped with Bose when it cleary was not. Either he was straight up lying or didn't know his own products, either way was unacceptable. Sounds like a good deal to me however. Those oil changes will save you some real money down the road.
  • Options
    I also had a salesman at a dealership tell me that the 3S had a Bose system - they only come with the SP.
    We had a great experience at John Kennedy Mazda, made the deal in a matter of minutes over the phone after being frustrated dealing with dealers in our local area. The salesperson knew we were motivated to buy, and promptly negotiated sales and trade-in amounts, no BS.
    I guess the quality of the buying experience is influenced by both the salesperson and the rest of the staff (managers and finance) at the dealership.
  • Options
    I don't think Mazda3 qualifies as sports car - but its definetly fun :) enough to drive, especially with the 2.3L engine. I love the stiffer suspension (3s) - but come time to drive over speedbumps -- then it's murder to my car. Sounds from your post, like driving a sports car would be something bad? Your insurance agent probably doesn't want to be patronizing, but looking at the statistics, your son falls in the unfavorable category 16-20 years -- hence very high insurance costs.

Traffic Safety Facts 2002: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSFAnn/TSF2002Final.pdf
    (1.8M , 220 pages)
  • Options
    Actually Mazda3 it's neither a economy car nor a sports car :surprise: I only get 23mpg in mostly highway, with 10 city / 90 highway mix. Mostly cruisin 50 to 65 mph.

sports car = tires rated for 150 mph driving / redline at 8000 rpm / at least 200 hp
  • Options
    The 16 year old is a girl - just found out today that the insurance on the Mazda3 will go from $600 per year to $1,800. Which is less that I thought - I still can recall paying a $250 per month loan payment (on a 1980 TA) and paying almost $300 a month for insurance. Lets just say my driving record was not exactly clean.

I would take 23 MPG any day - my last tank was less that 18 - but it was mostly city driving / with the AC on. Just filled up the SUV -and added up the gas we used on a trip to Orlando - averaged 18.5 MPG. I know its not 100% fair to compare all city VS all hiway - but a 2.3L 4 banger should still get better MPG than a full size SUV with a 5.3L V8.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The 3s has a stiffer suspension than the 3i? Here all this time I thought they were the same, at least, that's what I've read and that's what the seemingly knowledgable Mazda sales rep told me. Oh well. I think the 3i handles just fine. If the 3s is stiffer, I'm not sure I want/need that.
  • Options
    No difference in the suspension between the Mazda3 S, I or HB -

One difference is the tires - with the 205 50 17 being standard on the HB (optional on the S) the 205 55 16 is standard on the S (205 50 17 is an option)
    The I model has 195 65 15 standard (205 55 16 is an option)

The 205 50 17 will give a small improvement in handling - and a little harsher ride when compared to the 205 55 16, a similar difference in ride and handling between the 205 55 16 and the 195 65 15.

The S model also is also a little heavier (less than 75 pounds) - most of the extra weight is due to the larger engine.

I have found that most of the time sales reps don't know the products that they sell. I talked with 4 different sales people (plus 2 sales managers) in the last 2 days - I know more about the vehicle that I am trying to buy then all of them combined. Maybe they should pick up a spec book once in a while instead of standing around outside the dealership like a bunch of vulctures.
  • Options
    Well, in this case the sales rep was right and the owner was wrong. I've found some really helpful and knowledgable sales people over the years. They are worth their weight in gold. I don't expect a sales rep to be the foremost expert on all the cars they sell, but I do expect good fundamental knowledge of features/specs, and I also expect them to say "I don't know, but I'll find out" when they in fact don't know, rather than making something up.
  • Options
    I also expect them to say "I don't know, but I'll find out" when they in fact don't know, rather than making something up.

Considering the minimal knowledge required - maybe 10 models with 3 or 4 trim lines - I find "I don't know" (or even worse lies) to be wholly unacceptable. It's their job to know their products AND the competitions' products too.
  • Options
    In other words, you expect these sales reps to know the answer to every possible question on their own cars plus the competition (which could be a few dozen vehicles depending on what is being cross-shopped)? And it is unacceptable to say "I don't know" if they really don't know? I would hate to be the sales rep that tries to sell YOU a car.
  • Options
    I have no use for sales guys - and that's mostly because they're uninformed and pushy. I help many friends buy and it's always good for a laugh how little the salespeople know about their own products.

No excuse, imho. FWIW, Hine Mazda in San Diego tends to have rather well informed sales staff - but they work on salaries so they may approach it like a job..
  • Options
    You may be well informed on cars, but you are not well informed about what it's like to be in sales. I know many commissioned sales people who are consummate professionals and approach their work "like a job." Those that don't give the profession a bad name. I'm glad you found some good ones at Hine. I found some good reps at Walser Mazda in Minneapolis--they have a no-haggle pricing policy, so they don't need to play the negotiation games.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "Considering the minimal knowledge required - maybe 10 models with 3 or 4 trim lines - I find "I don't know" (or even worse lies) to be wholly unacceptable. It's their job to know their products AND the competitions' products too"

Uhmm, they may be that way in CA, but in other parts of the country it's very different. The dealer I bought my Protegé from owns another Mazda store, a Honda store, a Chevy store and a Suzuki store. The salesmen are moved from one store to another all the time. I would hardly expect them to know the specs on all those cars. In fact, there are different sales people in the local Mazda store every time I go there. The last time I went for an oil and filter change even the service manager was new, the third one. In 2004, when I test drove a Mazda3, the guy who went with me said he was from the Chevy store in another town and didn't know anything about Mazdas.

Maybe the reason they are always changing, or quitting, is because they work six days a week from 8:00 in the morning until 9:00 at night and commissions are slow in coming. When I bought the Protegé the big guy said the salesman would not get his commission until the next month and hadn't made a sale in 30 days. The salesman was great and as I started to drive off he said, "God bless you for buying this car!" Earlier, he had asked how I liked his shoes, he was very proud of them, he bought them out of the back of a roadside truck. I'll bet you don't buy your shoes that way!

fowler3

P.S. I never did it before, but that little guy needed it, I tipped him $50. A month later he was gone. He was very patient, didn't rush me to buy, asked if I wanted to test drive other cars, and made sure the car was washed and the tank filled on delivery. In many cases you are right, but there are exceptions. Don't judge until you have done the same job for 60 days.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I've driven my 2005 Mazda3 hatch 5,000 miles now, and 4,500 of those miles have been commuting from our house in the 'burbs to downtown, about half on city streets and the other half on a busy expressway with frequent stops and starts for three toll plazas along the way -- not to mention rush-hour traffic slowdowns. My car also is the evening take-the-family-out-to-dinner car and the weekend-shopping-trip car. (Hence 5K miles in three months!) And since I've only had the car since April, most of my driving has been with the a/c on (it's been in the mid-90s for most of the last 30 days too, and my a/c works just fine -- but that's another story). I also tend to be a little (yeah, right) "spirited" in my takeoffs and maneuvers (see the "Real-World MPG" discussion for more details).

Even so, I have yet to get less than 27 mpg on a tankful of gas.

You guys ARE using REGULAR, 87-octane gas, RIGHT?

Meade
  • Options
    kapuskapus Member Posts: 11
    I am seriously considering a 3 hatchback. I did a test drive last week of a 3 with a manual trans which I really liked. I do have a question to existing owners. I am around 6'3" tall and the car seemed fairly room, both leg and head room during the brief test drive. I am wondering though how comfortable this car is for tall drivers. A short test drive is hard to tell how comfortable the car will feel for extended drives. Also, the car I drove did not have a moonroof and I am wondering if I get a moonroof if that will significantly reduce head room in the cabin. Any info. would be appreciated. Lastly, if I do decide to get the 3 is it best now to wait for the 2006 since this car does not seem to be discounted much anyhow.
  • Options
    I'm 6'3" tall, and purchased a MT hatchback with a moonroof. I haven't taken the car on any long trips yet, but I've been quite comfortable driving so far.
    Before I purchased, I had a 3 (without moonroof) as a rental for work, and had sat in other 3s at a couple of auto shows. Just to be sure, I did one last test drive of a moonroof equipped 3 at a dealer.
    I can't tell you whether to buy now or wait until later, but the info on these forums was very helpful to me, and don't forget to contact several dealers.
  • Options
    richml,

Thanks for the information. From reading some of the posts it sounds like we are in the same demographic group as far as age. I am somewhat surprised that I came to the decision to purchase this vehicle thinking this is a car for a younger demographic group, but I really do like this car. Also, there really aren't any other vehicles under 30k that I really like, including the 6. I currently own an Acura and I certainly like the TSX, but not willing to pay the price, especially since I am paying for stuff I really don't want or need like heated leather seats.
  • Options
    ingenue007ingenue007 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone here know where to get full convex mirrors? I was in Europe a week ago and noticed how convenient those mirrors are.
  • Options
    google: convex driver side mirror US

UMTRI-97-32 (1997)
    http://www.umich.edu/~industry/PDF/97-32-Abstract.pdf

Convex rearview mirrors are currently prohibited in the U.S. as original equipment on
    passenger cars except for the exterior, passenger-side position. One of the primary reasons for this restriction is a concern that convex mirrors may cause drivers to overestimate the distances to following vehicles and therefore make unsafe maneuvers.
    There is a considerable amount of empirical evidence that convex mirrors do cause
    overestimation, but the effect is not theoretically well understood....

Later, another study, done in year 2000 suggests, that the US got it all wrong. http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/STHF0203_7

So everywhere else the convex mirror is used on both driver side and passenger side, but here in US the government steps in to "protect" you :cry:

The European and the Aussies gets the original mirror. If somebody finds the part number and place to order from - then please post.
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Meade,

I just wanted to drop back in and say thanks for taking the time a few weeks back in responding to my questions and providing your very detailed review of your new 3. My apologies in not writing back sooner, but between work, vacations and planning for a big cross-continent family get together happening at the end of July, I just haven't had a lot of free time. Anyway, I highly respect your opinions as one of the more knowledgeable and "grounded" posters on the forum and I was happy to see you still here. I got fed up a while back with some of the BS that goes on in these forums and just sort of lost interest in posting, although I still lurk from time to time.

Wanted to let you know that as of Friday, 03.15.05, my wife and I are new owners of a Metallic Titanium Grey Mazda3 GT Sport Hatchback. Of course, the car is a 5spd (will never own an automatic as you may remember), with moonroof and A/C. We haven't taken possession as of yet, as they do not have any in stock anywhere in my region of Ontario. However, they have sourced one from the Mazda compound, fresh off the boat from Japan and it should be here via rail in about 3 to 4 days.

Both my wife and I were very impressed with all of the core design, ergonomics and sheer driving nature of this car. I think I was personally most surprised by just how different the 3 is from the Protege and how much they have improved upon what was already arguably the best compact sedan in its segment and certainly the most fun to drive hands down.

So, many thanks again. We're looking forward to the new car and who knows, I may even post the odd anecdote or impressions of the car once we've been driving it for a while.

Until then, take care and all the best. :P
  • Options
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your 3 as much as I have enjoyed mine. I've just crossed the 5,000 mile mark and I'm really enjoying this car. My ONLY complaint concerns the mediocre floor covering, and the fact that the "hook" that holds the driver's floor mat is no longer anchored to the metal underneath the carpet, like it was in the Protege, but is now just a plastic tab pulling on the "carpet". I can already see how mine is starting to pull on the floor covering. I think I'll try and find the "hook" from a wrecked Protege and attach it myself. It looks like it would fit on the 3.

Meade
  • Options
    Meade, you should order a set of the premium floor mats from mazdastuff.com. The mats have a much more durable weave than the stock mats, and the folks at mazdastuff.com are helpful, provide a discounted price, and free shipping.
    Since I have a red hatch, I went for the red (and black) premium mats - they look great, more colorful than the all-black mats. The premium mats also come in blue and black.
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Meade,

Thanks. I hope so too. We're picking the car up tonight at 7pm and my wife will get honours driving it home. Ultimately, i think it will end up being her car in a few months, but I'll still get to drive it and more importantly, want to drive it now and again too.

I'll make a point of taking a good look at the floor covering tonight. I had never noticed it previously and yah, I like to hooks as well. I think I have an extra one from the Pro that I can use if they indeed fit on the 3. We'll see.

When we test drove the car, the only complaint I had was that the center console stack was too close to my right leg and at times it felt a little awkward pushing from the gas to the break and then finding the gas petal again. I think I am just so used to the REX and the PRO that this will go away on its own. Its a minor thing at best. ...OH yes, the petals are still a little close together too, like in the Pro, but again, not a big deal.

Talk ta ya soon. :shades:
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    cticti Member Posts: 131
    And still no problems on my Mazda3 hatchback. I received a flyer from my dealer with a bunch of coupons in it. One was a "Sumer Special" that did tire rotation and oil change and a few other minor things for $49.95.

Took a book along (Collapse by Jared Diamond - good so far) and read it while I waited. Took 1.5 hours. Total cost was less than the advertised price and they fixed a leak in my tire for free. I can thank my TPMS for catching it.
  • Options
    Rich -- I've already got the premium floor mats (red and black). I've had them for about two months.

It's not the mats that are the problem -- it's the hook that holds the driver's mat from sliding forward that's cheap and poorly anchored to just the carpet. The hook in my 2000 Protege was metal and bolted to the metal floor of the car, under the carpet. The Mazda3's is plastic and just notched into the carpet material. I guarantee you it'll tear the floor covering or pull out in the not-too-distant future. Stoop down, take out your mat and fiddle with yours, and you'll see what I mean.

And by the way -- I got my premium mats for free, nyah nyah nyah!!!

Meade
  • Options
    What dimwit designed the center console in Mazda 3s ? Why does the parking brake have to take up so much real estate? Even worse: the cup holder is placed between the stick and the armrest (manual transmission). The cupholder is on exactly the same line as the stick. If you have a bottle of soda in the cupholder, then your wrist hits the bottle neck, while shifting gears. Aargh.

Dont drink and drive - not even soda or coffee.
  • Options
    Remember ...

There's also a cupholder in your door.

I tend to use the center-console cupholder for cans of beer, which aren't tall enough to get in the way of my arm or the stick. And the glovebox holds a 12-pack very easily.

:P

Meade
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,352
    And the glovebox holds a 12-pack very easily.

Doesn't the ice leak all over, once it starts melting?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    They don't stay in the glovebox that long.

:P

Meade
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Anyone drive a manual Mazda3 in bad traffic for over 30min at a time? Any comments, comparisons to previously owned cars?

My new commute is worse than I expected it to be =/.
  • Options
    chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Please tell me you are not promoting DUI/DWI.

How about a six of club soda?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    just a reminder. thanks! :D
  • Options
    Where's our sense of humor?

Actually, I DID stash a 1.75-liter bottle (sealed, in its bag) from the liquor store in my glovebox a few weeks ago. And I had room left over. It is really amazing what that glovebox will hold -- I can even fit my laptop in there!

Meade
  • Options
    I thought it was a funny wink wink by M, I was LOL for a few seconds. Let the Gonnermans of DUI have a moment of silence.... Then, moving on: what 12 pack? Thruth or fiction? Knowing that the gloveboxe is really BIG, I tried the 12 pack Albertson cola, which fits in the glovebox - but now the lid wont close :confuse: I almost believed it was large enough.
  • Options
    I know ELEVEN of 'em fit in there ...

:shades:

Meade
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    ...stash the others in the -- umm -- "golve box". Cool, Meadeball! Now we need a new name for the big storage box. People don't wear driving gloves anymore. Any ideas?

How about Booze Box?

fowler3
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Guys, I do have a sense of humor and while all of this is very amusing, it is also very much off-topic. When users click into the Mazda3 discussion, they expect to see a discussion about just that.

Any further posts off-topic will be deleted.
  • Options
    The side pocket in the door is OK, but does not handle styrofoam cups wery well. Since the Mazda3 H.B. has 2 cupholders in the center console, I was wondering if there is any way of making one of them 1 or 2 inches deeper, to give clearance with the shift stick. Does anybody know if there is unused space under the cupholder? I was planning to extend the cupoholder with a stainless steel sleeve.
  • Options
    Well, I haven't removed the center console in my 2005 Mazda3 yet, but I did remove it in my 2000 Protege ES to install a cable for a piece of amateur radio equipment. In that car, they made the cupholders as deep as possible -- they couldn't go any deeper because their bottoms were already sitting on the transmission "hump" (actually exhaust tunnel, I guess). I think I'd investigate a shorter cup before I considered investigative surgery on my new car.

Meade
  • Options
    cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    Okay, completely off topic, but I noticed you were mentioned amateur radio equipment. What kind of equipment were you putting in your Protege?

- cosanostra (KB0COO)
  • Options
    QRZ?

Well, well, well, another ham on the group! Nice to make your acquaintance. I'm K4CMD. Licensed originally in 1980, now an Extra Class. By the way, my 4-year-old son is named Sean too!

Five years ago I removed the center console of my Protege to install an Icom IC-229H 2-meter (er, VHF for all you non-hams) transceiver. It made a nice fit for it, sitting down in the little well in front of the shift lever. I ran my coax (er, antenna cable) down under the console, under the carpet on the exhaust tunnel and under the rear seat, up a trunk strut to the Larsen 5/8-wave NMO-mounted (permanent) antenna on my trunk lid. Yes, I had a 3/4-inch hole in my trunk lid -- I'm a firm believer in permanent-mount antennas -- they work MUCH better than mag-mounts and other arrangements that don't have as good a ground connection -- and I won't even get into the horrors of shutting cables in doors and stuff.

BTW, I've had my 3 hatchback for almost four months and I have not yet been able to determine the best place for an antenna on it. Actually my delay has been more due to the fact that I can't find a good place in the car for the radio! I'll figure it out eventually.

So, what's your story Sean?

Meade K4CMD
  • Options
    Well I think I am going to purchase the 3 hatchback this weekend. I do like the car, although I must admit I still have some apprehension about getting a car in this class. It drives nice and the looks are fine, but I wonder how this car will hold up in the long run. Also, since I just turned 50, I am somewhat surprised myself that this car appeals to me as much as it does. I think Mazda's target segment for this car is probably young first time buyers, not folks that just qualified to be in AARP.
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    To alleviate your fears can I suggest you get the April 2005 issue of Consumer Reports? The Mazda3 is rated as one of the top small cars with a long history (previously known as the Protege and 323) of reliability. If you can't find this issue of CR at your newstand, check it out for free at your local library. CR does not accept advertising; their reliability scores are based on the experiences of thousands of actual drivers.
This discussion has been closed.