Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    ezcompanyezcompany Member Posts: 28
    Just called couple dealers to find out how much the Pearl Satin Finish Fuel Door installation and the Compass Mirror installation would cost.

1st Dealer:
    $200 for installing both the mirror and the fuel door

2nd Dealer
    $ 250 for the mirror
    $ 40 for the fuel door

3rd Dealer:
    $162 for installing the mirror
    $24 for installing the fuel door
    TOTAL: $ 186

------------------------------
    Parts Cost
    Mirror Cost: $ 240 (approx with Tax)
    Fuel Door Cost: $115 (approx with tax)

TOTAL COST [Parts/labor of both fueld door and mirror]: $541 (approx)

I was told that the mirror requires wiring of sensors and so on. But the part comes with directions. so I am going to try and install both that parts myself.
    Has anyone tried to install these two on their own :confuse:
    Any Tips etc ?
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Has anyone tried to install these two on their own

Yes...I recently helped my son install the mirror, it was very straight forward. Instead of giving the dealer your money for the labor, you can buy other goodies for your 3!
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Ouch! I'd pass on that if I were you. They aren't chrome or satin finished chrome. They are thin,as in 3 microns, aluminum foil glued to black plastic. At least the ones on Miatas are. If you don't know what 1 micron is -- "it's as close to nothing as can be measured and still be something" Cheap watches have 3 microns gold plate.

fowler3
  • Options
    Hey - Thanks for the good advice Jbollt. That makes me feel a little better and gives me that little bit of confidence :)

Going to try and do it myself tomorrow.
  • Options
    wow - you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I just picked up the fuel door cover today and its not plastic. Its all brushed metal.
    It, looks and fits great. Its something that would last.
    and its all once fitting piece. It took me 15 minutes to put it on.
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I seen the plastic cover on other models - the one for the 3 looks nice.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    they must have had complaints about the ones on Miatas.

But I still don't understand why people want to highlight the gas filler door? Is it because there are few other places to add chrome? You can get chrome covers for the outside door handles which would make it look similar to those on the TSX.

Glad they don't make chrome covers for the windshield wiper arms. The glare would be terrific.

fowler3
  • Options
    oh well, my experience was good with the Fuel Door - as said earlier, its all metal for the Mazad 3 HB and its brushed steel (not shiny). Also, the one for the Hatch is not round, its elliptical.

Now to the Auto-Dimming/temp/compass mirror. You can't really put it on the special edition without removing/messing around with the light/rain sensor. Also, to tuck in the wiring in the pillar, you'll have to mess around with the "A" pillar airbag, not a good idea. Possibly messing with the warranty on the car. So it went back to the dealer.
    I have no regrets.
  • Options
    perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know if you can change the "Hello!" greeting that comes up on the screen when you start the car? I thought it would be fun to add my name, if that's possible...
  • Options
    chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    I’ve heard/read that the 3, sedan or hatch, has bolt holes under the plastic/rubber strip for adding a roof rack/rails. On a website, supposedly Thule makes a roof rack/rail that is made to fit perfectly over these bolt holes. This rack/rail is made flush so that the bars do not protrude outside of the rack tower that connects to the bolt holes. I was looking at the accessory brochure for the Mazda 5 that shows the same exact roof rack/rail. I don’t know any specs on either and I don’t know the mfg. of the Mazda 5 roof rack/rail.

I posted this on both the Mazda 3 & 5 forums. Can anyone verify (or not) that the Mazda 5 roof rack/rail will fit on the Mazda 3 (especially the hatch)? If it does, I can imagine the reason why Mazda OE would want to keep this a secret.
  • Options
    wunderkidwunderkid Member Posts: 14
    Hi Meade: I just moved to Charlottesville, VA from Michigan. There is only one Mazda dealer (Flow) here. I was wondering if it would be practical to go to Richmond to get a 2006 3 htach. Who do you recommend?
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I wholeheartedly recommend Whitten Brothers Mazda in Midlothian (er, south of the "rivah" here in Richmond). There are two other local Mazda dealers, but Whitten has had my business since I bought my first new Mazda vehicle (a 1992 Protege LX) from them back in 1991. Since then I've purchased five more new Mazdas from them, and I have many good things to say about them.

If you'd like, drop me an e-mail (my address is in my profile) and we can chat more specifically.

Meade

P.S. Welcome to Mr. Jefferson's community!
  • Options
    wunderkidwunderkid Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, Meade! I am going to visit the local dealer in a few days. If I can't get a decent price quote from them, then I'll make a trip eastward:)
  • Options
    safety1safety1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I got some subs wired into my car, and since then i took a course on the stearo instaltion and i found that the reason my subs wernt working was because of a the remote lead that is wired into the back of the deck... Since i did not originally hook it up I donno how to pull the stock deck out... Does anyone know how to pull the dash apart?? :sick:
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I donno how to pull the stock deck out... Does anyone know how to pull the dash apart??
    Maybe the Mazda online service manual will help.
    Go to: http://www.midwestcarclub.com/mazda/manual/
  • Options
    I was just perusing that stuff the other day, thinking about installing a VHF radio in my car. Here's the link you want:

http://www.midwestcarclub.com/mazda/manual/esicont/en/srvc/html/B3E091755210W01.html

Meade
  • Options
    manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Does the Mazda 3, 2006 have whip- lash head restraint protection? I am trying to buy a new fuel efficient reliable Japanese car. I am seriously thinking of the Honda Civic 2006 with Manual Transmission and Navigation. Also am serious considering the Mazda 3. The Mazda 3 2006 have similar equipments and dimensions, plus it comes in a hatchback utility. Does anybody know if they have Whip-lash head restraint protection? I know that they have all around head curtain airbag protection available, and a Navigation System available. Has anyone used a Mazda Navigation system? How is it compare to a Honda Satellite-linked navigation system? How is the Mazda 3 being priced? Are the dealers trying to sell it at MSRP? Thanks.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Dunno a lick about safety features - don't care.

I do know you can get a Mazda3 at around 300-500 over invoice pretty easily.
  • Options
    voidvoicevoidvoice Member Posts: 24
    Not sure about the whip-las head restrain. my mazda3 s GT hatchback come with side air bag. and i paid $250 over invoice. no need to pay MSRP, even a 06 model. I think im the first one to get a 06 hatchback GT in new york area(get it 9/17) and i didnt paid msrp.
  • Options
    A simple Google search using the words "mazda3" and "whiplash" brought forth a multitude of hits, starting with this one from mazdausa.com:

Inside the vehicle, the front seatbacks feature an integrated anti-whiplash design, with supportive springs in the seatbacks linked to the head restraint supports that use rearward force exerted on the seatback to strengthen the forward support of the headrest. This helps prevent the rearward lurching of the head that causes whiplash and other neck injuries.

Meade
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Here are the IIHS rear-crash (i.e. whiplash) test results for the Mazda3. Overall rating was Marginal:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_mazda.html
  • Options
    While you're at it ...

Let's compare Mazda to Honda:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_honda.html

... and Toyota:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_toyota.html

Wow, thanks for pointing out yet another example where my 2005 Mazda3 beats Avalon, Camry, Civic and Accord! :shades:

Meade

P.S. Haven't you figured out yet that the IIHS thinks everything smaller than a Yukon is a deathtrap, and designs its tests so there's no way a small car can score well? "IIHS" stands for "Iron Is Heavy & Safe."
  • Options
    Better to have the standard up instead of down. That's what benchmarks are all about.

But I see your point - If IIHS is almost always failing a small car (2005.5 VW Jetta excluded, unless that is no longer considered a small car), what's the purpose of testing them? Personally, I like to look at and understand the numbers behind the GAMP. For example, on side crash tests, the intrusion of the barrier compared to the center of the driver's/passenger's position prior to the test. The 3 scored something like -5; the Corolla something like -3; the Jetta something like -15; and the Galant something like -11 The lower the number the better.
  • Options
    We don't know yet if "Mazda3 beats Civic" since the IIHS test results on the new '06 Civic, which has active head restraints (the '05 and earlier did not), aren't out yet.

And you are 100% wrong on the IIHS designing their tests so that no small car can score well. Take a look at the results for the Corolla, for example: Best Pick for Frontal Impact, Acceptable for Side Impact (and this car was designed before the IIHS side impact test was rolled out), and Acceptable for Rear Impact. Small cars can and do score well on the IIHS tests.
  • Options
    Well, all kidding aside, I was being a little facetious there. But let's just face the facts ... when you're using a 3,307-pound (1,500 kg) mass at 31 mph to do your side-impact testing, obviously the heavier vehicles are going to fare better. It's simple physics: 3,307-pound block vs. my 2,700-pound Mazda3? Block wins by 600 pounds. 3,307-pound block vs. 5.070-pound GMC Yukon? Yukon wins by 1,763 pounds. And yessss, you are safer in a large vehicle. Mass = safety in most cases. That's why the trucklike, boxy, ultra-heavy Volvo 240s of the mid-80s were the epitome of car safety. They were built like tanks (and looked like 'em too).

Funny, all the safety talk these days is about what they call "passive" safety. What ever happened to "active" safety -- the ability of a vehicle to get out of harm's way as it's approaching? Saab promoted its active safety features heavily in the 1980s. Today, that's where Mazda's exquisite handling would give it the lead of the pack. I'd like to see a GMC Yukon try a .85-g emergency maneuver to swerve out of the way of an approaching truck at 50 mph! Being nimble can help you avoid accidents -- I guess the IIHS assumes we're all too busy checking our PDAs, talking on our cell phones or stirring our scalding-hot coffee. Me, I look both ways even if I've got the green light -- I've been T-boned at 45 mph by a red-light runner before -- and I don't hang around in intersections!

And btw -- I was T-boned by a 5,000-pound, V-8-powered 1973 Pontiac Bonneville. I was driving a 1988 Hyundai Excel. His impact pushed the Hyundai's frame several inches out of square, popped the entire rear bumper off the car and spun me 270 degrees in the middle of an intersection on a 4-lane divided highway. But I walked out of it. I wonder how the IIHS would've rated the 1988 Excel, which not only did not have air bags, it also did not have LAP BELTS for the front seat occupants?

Meade
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    What ever happened to "active" safety -- the ability of a vehicle to get out of harm's way as it's approaching?

Active went out the window when it became fashionable to yap on the cellphone while eating a big mac. ;)
  • Options
    the 1988 Excel, which not only did not have air bags, it also did not have LAP BELTS for the front seat occupants?

I assume (ah oh) that the reason it didn't have lap belts in the front is because you, or a previous owner, removed them?
  • Options
    I assume (ah oh) that the reason it didn't have lap belts in the front is because you, or a previous owner, removed them?

I am so glad you asked. Nope, I was the original owner of the car. The 1986-88 Excels had Hyundai's version of the "passive restraint system," the forerunner of air bags. You may remember some late 80s and early 90s cars with motorized front shoulder belts that were attached to the door frame?

Well, Hyundai (being cheap -- my 1988 Excel GL 5-door was their middle-of-the-line and had a sticker of $7,100) decided motors were too expensive, so their passive restraint system was comprised of a stationary shoulder belt that attached to the door near your shoulder. When you opened the front door, you were pulling the belt out of its retractor at the center of the car -- and then you climbed into about five feet of open belt and shut the door, winding the belt up as you went. Very awkward; I never did get used to it. Most owners just unclipped the shoulder belt from the door anchor and clipped it up there after they got in the car (or never fastened it at all).

As for lap belts, the front seats did not have them AT ALL. In the owner's manual Hyundai described how there was a "knee bolster" that ran all the way across the underside of the dash -- basically a vinyl-covered piece of foam designed to cushion your knees upon impact.

I'm really glad I never had to rely on Hyundai's passive-restraint system (or should that have been "passed-off restraint system") in a frontal impact.

If you're still in disbelief, here's one of several links I've found (mostly legal ones, are you surprised?) that discusses the Hyundai's belts. Keep in mind that these belts, like the 1970s VW ones upon which Hyundai's design was based, were approved and certified safe by our ever-correct and highly commendable federal government before they could be sold here ...

http://www.prayforrain.net/1998/texas/hyundai0606.html

Meade
  • Options
    WOW! Thanks for the info! I was almost certain that all vehicles sold in the US has lap belts since somewhere around 1966-1967. Learn something new every day!

Thanks Meade!

Jeff
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    VW had the same thing for awhile in the Rabbit/Golf....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I'm currently finding prices on the 3 s to be $600 - $800 off MSRP for the '06 model. I test drove one with the NAV (because it was the only 5-speed manual they had in stock at the time) and played with it a little. It seemed like a very straightforward system and I loved that it "pops up" and can be hidden when not in use. I usually hate nav systems because HVAC and stereo controls are often integrated into them.

Anyway, I won't be buying the nav because I don't need it. The Civic nav isn't hidden, but if it's anything like the Accord's system it will be easy to use.

A few dealers in Atlanta have some nav equipped '05 models still listed. Perhaps this is also the case in your area? The deals I've been offered on '05 models have been great but none have been the color/equipment combo I want. Good luck!
  • Options
    I've been T-boned at 45 mph by a red-light runner before...

And you don't think passive safety features are important?? Personally, I like cars with both passive and active safety. That's one reason (among many) why I don't like driving land yachts.

I'm curious, did that Bonneville hit you broadside right in the driver's door, like in a crash test, or someplace else? If it hit in the driver's door you were VERY lucky to walk away. Do you go to Vegas often?
  • Options
    Been to Vegas once. Lost beaucoup d'argent. Don't see the point of returning!

Well, I was lucky -- the Bone-Ville (as I call them now) hit my passenger side near the rear door.

All I'm saying is, you can outfit all kinds of gizmotronic life-saving features on a car, but when it comes right down to it, you have to get hit in their designed "sweet spot" for them to do any good. The bottom line is, avoiding those situations is the best thing you can try to do. I've been T-boned before, as in this example, and I've hydroplaned at 45 into the back of a stopped Volvo wagon (back in 1992 in a non-air-bag-equipped Protege -- they didn't have air bags yet). In both cases, I walked away with no other protection than my good ol' seat belt.

I'm not saying all the new contrivances don't make your chances better -- but I am saying I question those who depend solely on them to save their lives when defensive driving is a much better -- and safer -- bet. (Speaking of gambling.)

Case in point -- I was going back to work this afternoon after taking a trip out to our house in the 'burbs. Highway traffic was relatively light at 1:30 p.m. The speed limit was 60 on the highway I was on. I was in the right-hand lane, with the cruise control set at 63-64. I got blown off the road by a woman driving a Volvo SUV at a speed I would guesstimate to have been around 80. There was no one ahead of us or behind us for a good half-mile. Now, what was the need for that kind of legal arrogance and recklessness? Oh, sure, her multitude of head, side, shoulder, hip and ankle bags would cushion her in all the right places were she to leave the road, and of course it was a Vo-Vo. But I get mad when I see people doing stupid stuff with the arrogant attitude that their car will keep them out of trouble.

Meade
  • Options
    Who knows, maybe she was a doctor rushing to a hospital, or she just got a call that her child was seriously injured and was rushing to his/her side. What was your excuse for speeding? Or is speeding in a Mazda3 OK, but in a Vo-vo is not?
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Around these parts (Jersey Shore), if I were to drive 63-64 mph in a 60 mph zone I'd be the recipient of numerous hand gestures! ;)

Reminds me of a friend who was driving on the NYS Thruway in the era of the 55 mph speed limit. He was stopped by a trooper who asked him, "Do you know how fast you were going?" He replied, "I had the cruise control set on 65."

Duh! :P
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    You'd get a ticket for THAT? Driving home tonight I had my cruise set at 77 and cop blew past me as if I were sitting still.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    He wasa 3-4 over, she was 20 plus over and you question him breaking the law!!!
  • Options
    I'm not the one who complained about someone else speeding at 1:30 pm. I thought it was a fair question to ask why he was speeding, that's all.
  • Options
    pwimseypwimsey Member Posts: 16
    Have you ever driven in the United States?
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Not all of them about speeding...Especially in the south. There are a lot of thing that are done that are against the law. Speeding is just ONE of them. If you would read the lawbook for your area I'm sure we have all done many things against the law.
    I can't stand the "it was against the law" people.
    I know I've broken over 5 Georgia laws in the past 24 hours. On and off the road. Some are out of date and some are just plain stupid.
  • Options
    jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    Try driving I75/85/285 through Atlanta at the posted 55 mph speed limit,except at 3 am, you would be dead, the left hand lanes are at 80 mph and the right at a minimum of 60 mph.

So Much for "The Law".
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Very true.
  • Options
    Yes, I have driven in the United States--for more years than most of you have lived on this planet, I expect.

It's clear that some people here can't take any information that could be construed in any way as being non-positive about the Mazda3, e.g. posting its IIHS rear crash test results in response to someone's question on whiplash protection. With that kind of hyper-sensitivity (and general acceptance of same) being the norm here, maybe I should give up like sandman did. The Mazda3 is a fine small car, the best in its class IMO, but it's not perfect. If some of you would accept that fact, it would make for a much more pleasant forum.
  • Options
    I agree with you. I've driven those roads through Atlanta at different times of day, and if I had driven 55 I would be dead--because I would have slammed into the traffic moving at a crawl due to all the traffic congestion in Atlanta. About the only time I could see a possibility of driving 80 mph on those roads would be at...oh, say 3 am.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    We don't call 285 the Atlanta Autobahn for nuthin'!
  • Options
    jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    However !!!

Watch out as you enter and leave Atlanta on 75 south.
    In Clayton County.
    Their Sherrif's department operates "Revenue Enhancement operations" with Laser guns and will nail you to the wall!!!
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Thanks gor getting back on topic... :)
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Can anyone comment on the Navigation system on the Mazda 3. My current picks for new vehicle are 06 3 and 06 Civic. So far it seems the Civic is the top for fuel economy and probable resale, while the 3 is tops for power and fun to drive.

The voice activated satellite linked navi on the Civic is nice. How does the Mazda 3's system compare?

As it stands right now it is Civic vs 3, both will be 5AT, Navi, and sunroof. Both are a winner and I can't lose either way. I just don't want to bother the dealer until I am ready to buy, which might be a few months from now.
  • Options
    The navi in the 3 isn't as sophisticated as the one in the Civic. In fact, the Civic navi is top of the line or luxury end version. Honda must of felt a need to distinguish the Civic from the competition. The 3 navi is DVD based. The only problem with the Honda version is, at times, the satellite isn't functioning properly (be it sun storms or computer glitches). I don't have one; neither is worth the money, IMO. Otherwise, both navis seem to be priced the same.

If Honda felt a need to draw attention to the new Civic and used the navi to reach that goal, they are going to fall short. Stellar front and side impact protection is one good way to make a mark (e.g. new VW Jetta made headline news doing just that). With gas prices so high, fuel economy is another way; Honda has this pretty well covered.

Now, what is up with that Saturn front end styling? They must have passed on the Pontiac Aztec look.
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    So am I to understand that the Mazda's navigation system will not update showing where your car is? The Honda uses GPS so it knows where you are and directs you accordingly. Both are actually DVD based. The Honda just takes GPS coordinates and the map on the DVD to know which street you are on.

If the Navi in the 3 is only DVD and doesn't update where you are then it is no better than a map or a print out from mapquest. Definitely not worth the cost if that is the case. Being able to have it know where you are so you don't get lost would be worth it, for me.

By my calculations, I would save $1000 in gas assuming $3.00/gal over the course of 5 years. So if I can save $1000 on the 3 over the Civic, the 3 would be the better deal.

I am still undecided on the styling on the Civic. I think the 3 looks great. I prefer the 5 door to the sedan. There is also the plus of the extra cargo of the HB. Too bad the 3 can't get an AWD system, then it would be perfect.
This discussion has been closed.