Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Sorry, you are correct. I was thinking of the Mazda6 5-door. Likewise for the gas tank "sloshing" noise. That's what I get for switching forums too fast. :cry:

For the Mazda3 I'd take the 5-door over the sedan, no hesitation. I don't see a down side for getting the 5-door, unless the buyer just likes the look of the sedan better.
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    >I don't see a down side for getting the 5-door, unless the buyer just likes the look of the sedan better.<

What about chassis flex? I'm thinking of replacing my current ride with the Mazda 3 and while I prefer the versatility of the hatchback I'm concerned that without the c pillar crossmember there maybe a lot of twisting going on back there.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The Mazda3, in both body styles, is 40 percent stiffer than the Protege it replaced (and it was already a stiffy)!

Further happy thoughts from Mazda.com's website (here's what they did to stiffen the 3's chassis -- note there's nothing said about roof crossmembers, and take note of No. 9 where the hatch gets even more stiffening):

1) Straight, large-section front side-members rigidly joined to the cabin bolster bending and torsional rigidity of the front end.
    2) Coupling of left and right front side-members to the dash cross-member suppresses lateral deformation.
    3) The cowl panel linking left and right front suspension towers is also joined to the cabin to prevent the suspension towers from leaning inwards.
    4) Large-section side sills and floor cross-members improve bending and torsional rigidity.
    5) The underside of the front floor tunnel is fitted with three members that suppress torsional deformation of the body due to steering inputs.
    6) The rear floor has reinforced coupling stiffness between straight side-members and cross-members.
    7) Tailor-welded blanks reinforce the side panel inners.
    8) Gussets on the rear suspension mountings improve rigidity.
    9) In the five-door hatchback, the suspension mounting location of rear side-members and the rear gate opening are coupled by reinforcements to improve torsional rigidity of the rear body.

Here's the page, if you want to see it. There's a lot of other interesting stuff on the 3 here too -- highly recommended reading!

http://www.mazda.com/product/mazda3/4a/2w/product4_5.html

Meade
  • Options
    OK, Hatch it is. Thank you.

Peter-
  • Options
    I've had my 3 hatch for almost five months now and have logged just a hair shy of 8,000 miles on it (thanks to two long highway trips, the most recent of which was 1100 miles to and from Pittsburgh two weeks ago). I've tossed the car through some pretty good mountain twisties in southwest Virginia (back roads too -- not that anesthetized interstate stuff) -- plus I had the car loaded almost to the ceiling with camping equipment while doing this. The car always seems to have more to deliver than I feel safe trying to extract from it!

Meade
  • Options
    jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    re: "I fell in love with hatchbacks way back before summa you youngin's was born."

I like hatchbacks also - actually the first in my family was my father's 1948 Willys Overland. Who remembers that one? My first hatch was a 1978 Toyota Corona. I've since moved up to a '96 VW Golf GL and am seriously considering the MZ3 5 door. We keep cars a long time, so any improvements in the last 10 years will be welcome - like a glove box - which the Golf didn't have in '96 (no room for the glove box and an airbag)
  • Options
    If you haven't already, you're gonna be dumbfounded. I swear it goes all he way back to the firewall. It's one of the first things I show people once they stop drooling over the exterior of my car and look inside.

Seriously -- I can shut the thing with my laptop in it.

I keep hearing about people being arrested for putting their kids in the trunk -- heck, you could almost get a kid in the glovebox in the Mazda3! (Just kidding, and I wouldn't recommend it even if it was that big ...)

Meade
  • Options
    How often do they need adjustment?
  • Options
    smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Edmunds posts 25/31 MPG for the 2006 AT hatch. That's compared to 24/29 for the 2005. Adding the 5th gear sure did help these numbers :D

They post 25/32 for the 2006 MT...same as 2005.
  • Options
    Mechanical lifters what? I can't find the post you're referring to.

Meade
  • Options
    I was at the pediatrician's office yesterday afternoon with my son, and in the waiting area I picked up the July copy of Car & Driver magazine (he apparently is a way cool pediatrician). Having let my own subscription to the magazine lapse since December, I was busy eating this one up when I came across their article on the new Audi A3 2.0T hatch. I couldn't help but notice the car because (a) it looks almost identical to the Mazda3 hatch from most angles, and (b) the car tested was red -- just like my Mazda3. So I devoured this article.

I was very surprised, after hanging out here for so long and seeing my car compared to Hyundais and Kias and even a Scion xA, to see that Car and Driver used the Mazda3 hatchback as the benchmark to compare against the (turbocharged) Audi! Our car was mentioned throughout the article, mostly in a positive manner -- the only negative was when they said the Audi beat the Mazda from zero to 60 by about a second (well DUH, it's turbocharged and cost a great deal more -- let's just put it up against the Mazdaspeed 3 when it comes out).

And it was equally amazing to see how well our Mazda (base price, $17,600, price as tested $19,600) held up against this car (base price = price as tested $25,460) in the end-of-article comparisons.

You know those little charts Car and Driver uses at the end of its car reviews to compare five test-track attributes between the test car and three other cars? Well, in addition to the Mazda3, they chose the Acura TSX and the Saab 9-2X to compare against the Audi. Nice company, eh?

Here are the results of those charts. Since they're bar graphs, I'm going to list the cars in each category in descending order, from best to worst (and add notes where applicable):

Current base price: Mazda3, Audi A3 2.0T, Acura TSX, Saab 9-2X. (Oh yeah, baby.)

Acceleration, 0-60: Saab 9-2X, Audi A3 2.0T, Mazda3, Acura TSX (yes, our Mazda beat the Acura! BTW, it was a pretty close match -- the range from best to worst was only about about 1.5 seconds. We just beat the Acura and were about a second slower than the Audi -- but hey, it's got a turbo!)

Acceleration, 1/4-mile: Saab 9-2X, Audi A3 2.0T, Acura TSX, Mazda3 (again, a close range: Best was 14.8 seconds, worst (Mazda3) was a flat 16 seconds).

Braking, 70-0 mph, feet: Mazda3 (oh yeah baby), Saab 9-2X, Audi A3 2.0T, Acura TSX (not a close range: the range was from 169 feet for the Mazda to 194 feet for the Acura. The Audi did it in 185 feet.)

Roadholding, 300-foot skidpad, g's: Mazda3 (on top!), Saab 9-2X, Acura TSX, Audi A3 2.0T.

EPA City Fuel Economy: Mazda3, Audi A3 2.0T, Acura TSX, Saab 9-2X. (And the numbers weren't very close here: The Mazda3 got 25 mpg; the next-in-line, the Audi, got 23, the Acura 21, and the Saab 20.)

So ... Was it fair to benchmark a $25.5K turbocharged European car with a Japanese hatchback that cost $6,000 less (as they optioned it, but can be had for $8,000 less)? You decide: The Mazda was about a second slower, but it beat the Audi in handling and safety (as far as brakes are concerned), had the best fuel economy, and the lowest price!

Let's hear it for the little hatch that thumbs its nose at the best Europe and Japan can throw at it! And keep in mind that once again, Mazda did it first and did it right!

Zoom Zoom,

Meade
  • Options
    chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Hatch Only.

You should visit the Alfa Romeo web site and reconsider the similarity of the hatch.
    BTW - Don't insult the look of the 3 hatch by comparing it to the BMtroubleu. The Bimmer may have the moves, but definitely not the looks.
  • Options
    chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Ok. So, u didn't insult the 3 hatch by comparing it to the looks of the Audi. Which one looks better is purely subjective. I still think the 3 looks more like the Alfa, though, which is beauty in motion. BTW - How did Audi get the the 3's doors to fit precisely on their vehicle?
  • Options
    Sorry, wasn't a direct reply to a post but I read the info on the Mazda's website that you posted and they mentioned in specs that the 2.3L engine used mechanical valve lifters. My last car with mechanical lifters was a 1969 BMW 1600 and I was in there every two months adjusting them to specifications. I don't want to be doing that anymore.

Peter-
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    That 2.0 and DSG = heaven. I'm not a fan of the A3's handling (which the mazda excels at) but otherwise, the A3's got a build quality and design I prefer visually. Now the mazdaspeed3...dang I wish they'd get that out here.

BTW, I'm getting destroyed on a VW board (not edmunds) for posting a review of the 06 Jetta GLI and concluding I'd rather have the far cheaper (and slower) but more agile and reliable Mazda3 hatch. you'd think I insulted their families with the way they're coming after me.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The Mazda3 2.3L engine maintenance schedule calls for the valves to be adjusted at 75K miles. But unless they are making noise (tap tap tap) most people would not even bother.

Not sure if this answers your question - I assume the adjustment to the lifters you are talking about is the same thing Mazda is referring to as a valve adjustment.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Is there a GLI model out for the '06 Jetta, also? I didn't know that..

What engine does that have?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hey, thanks - that sounds like it. It should take me a little longer than two months to get to 75K miles. BTW not that tricky a procedure; sometimes I would adjust them with the engine running for better accuracy but it gets boring with repetition.
  • Options
    It's out. It's the 2.0T FSI (same as the A3). I drove one the other day with DSG and package 2 (xenons, leather, couple other bits - 28k!). It's a sharper handler than the A3 but the car's not even 8/10ths the handler that the Mazda3 is.

The engine and tranny are awesome though. I have a rather lengthy review of the GLI in the Jetta 06 board - blueguydotcom, "2006 Volkswagen Jetta" #874, 23 Aug 2005 2:25 am.

The Jetta needs to be an inch or two lower. And the body needs to be chopped down an inch or 3! It's way too tall. The brakes are lousy and too small for the 3400 lbs monster. And the suspension is way too soft and spongy. I wasn't really happy with the car's handling in corners - it dove and rolled like crazy.

If Mazda can get the MazdaSpeed3 out, I'd be very interested. I love the interior, handling and reliability of Mazda. The lack of power (nobody argue with that as I personally find my 235 hp 330i to be underpowered) is what will keep me away from a standard 2.3 Mazda3 hatch.

More power and AWD would be nice.
  • Options
    I've read your review and although I agree with many of your points on the GLI, it appears that you had already made up your mind and were just trying to justify your position in the review. The GLI 2.0t 6MT drivetrain is certainly world-class and one of the best I have driven (I haven't tried the DSG yet). Can the extra cost of the GLI over a Mazda3 be justfied? That's a good question and Im sure we'll be hearing more opinions on that. When the GTI hits the lots next spring the discussion will get even hotter.
    Incidently, I think the black (unpainted) lower body parts look dumb, especially on the Salsa Red GLI. What's up with that?
  • Options
    I went in with a bias. I'd never deny that. We all have biases, I just don't try to hide mine. Thought the car was ugly and past experience with VW makes me generally dislike them in spite of my undying love for their turbo motors. Strange that I don't have the same aversion to BMW when my 330i's actually been more of a headache.

Mazda on the otherhand - nothing but positive things to say. I just recently sold my 03 Protege and I have to say that was the best built car I've ever owned. Solid little beast that was a hoot to drive. My family's owned many, many Mazdas and never had a problem with them. Great cars. And sublime handling.

I think the GTI can be fun. But it needs a major retooling to differentiate itself from the Jetta GLI. 3400 lbs is too much for a car that size.

I hope Mazda has a speed version of the 3 out before May of 06. :D
  • Options
    jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    Our 2004 Mazda 3 5 door 2.3 with auto has gone 32,000 miles in the past 12 months.

The valves have not needed to be adjusted, completely silent.

No failures of any kind in 32,000 miles.

Just replaced the OEM Goodyear RSA's 205/50-17 with Michelin Pilot A/S 225/45-17 and the handling and steering response is radically improved, it' handling is now amazingly close to our 350 Z track.
  • Options
    Thanks.... I really love the way the '05 GLI looks.... and, generally dislike the new Jetta.. Haven't seen a GLI yet, though....

Interesting.... Everyone loves that new 2.0T engine....

regards,
    kyfdx

EDIT: Just saw the posted pictures in that thread... I like the GLI look a lot better than the base car.... Looks aren't really high on my list, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bellamusicabellamusica Member Posts: 21
    The comparison between these two cars intrigues me as well. I am shopping for a hatchback and these two are definitely the top models on my list. I have tested them both and have my own feedback.

Advantage A3:
    Interior - subjective, but I believe Audi does the best in the business
    Engine - the 2.0T is a gem. Quick and responsive at all times
    Traction Control standard
    DSG transmission available- amazing transmission

Advantage Mazda3:
    Handling - Some comments fromA3 owners blame the stock tires for less than stellar grip. In any case, out of the chute the Mazda handles sharper
    Reliability - No big surprise here
    Price - the biggest advantage

Tie:
    Exterior design - there are similarities, andboth are attractive. I prefer the Audi, but others prefer the Mazda
    Gas mileage - shocking, actually. The EPA numbers (not the C&D) show the Audi at 24/32 and the Mazda at 25/32. So close as to be a virtual tie. I expected the Audi to be much lower, with its higher HP and heftier curb weight.

All of this makes a tough choice for me. The Mazda is a more practical choice. It is a less expensive way to get great performance and a beautiful car. The Audi is more expensive, but a beautiful and luxurious drive with performance to boot.

I agree with Meade, in that it is impressive for the Mazda3 to compared to luxury models such as the Audi A3. Speaking as an current owner of an Audi, I did not expect to be cross-shopping with a Mazda.
  • Options
    herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    didn't want to insult the Mazda 3. Just meant that it looks similar to the BMW 1 series (from the general style) but better (way better.... just see the front..)
    in addition the Mazda is bigger (actually it compares sizewise to the BMW 3 series).
    I guess driveability is the same for Mazda 3, BMW 1 and Golf V (which is not sold in the US). Maybe the Mazda engine is even better because of the more sophisticated engine. The audi A 3 might be fancier, but not necessarily better.
  • Options
    It's not just the bump in displacement from 1.8L to 2.0L It's much more responsive, especially at low RPMs. I didn't much like the 1.8t engine,and I don't like turbo engines in general, but the 2.0t I like. Maybe it's the direct injection. And the 6MT seems to be geared just right for that engine.

If you make the comparo on drive train alone the GLI (or GTI) is the clear winner, but when you start to look at the whole package it's a different story altogether.
  • Options
    perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    I am sooooo close to deciding on getting a Mazda3 hatchback (5s, titanium, w/ABS package). The one thing that still bothers me is the black interior. Though it looks cool and sports-car-like, it makes the cabin seem very constricted, and less spacious than it really is. Living in the rainy northwest, I'm worried that going through dark, rainy winters with a dark, black interior will bug me. Did anyone else have this issue? Comments? Solutions? [besides therapy, that is :) ] Thanks in advance. Oh, and speaking of rain, what are people's experience with handling in the rain?
  • Options
    I find all interiors tolerable, if I have a moonroof...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'm with you. Black Interior = claustrophobia. I notice the i version has a green with beige interior that looks nice. Perhaps the '06 editions will some lighter interior options.
  • Options
    Flipside: the black interior will last longer, look cleaner and be easier to maintain.

The lighter interiors - especially in areas where rain/snow is common - age fast. Beige is the worst, imho.
  • Options
    perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the comments. I also dislike the beige. I wish they had a nice gray interior like I have in current Protege... I checked and it doesn't look like other interior color options will be available in '06.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think the black is very hard to keep clean.

The floor covering (not really carpet not sure what you would call it) shows every spec of dirt. It looks like it has dandruff.

The dash is also hard to clean - if I use something like Armorall cleaner I always need to go back over it 2 or 3 times - otherwise it shows streaks.

I also have black exterior and although it looks great when clean it only stays looking that way for a short time.

Light gray is IMO the best interior color - easy to clean - hides the dirt and is also cooler in the summer.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I've owned several cars with beige interiors, and in fact own one now. It's been through five Minnesota winters, with lots of rain/snow/salt, and still looks new except for some little tar spots on the front mats. So I don't agree that beige interiors "age fast". In fact, I've found the opposite to be true. I own the same model of car with a black/grey interior, and I've noticed the black surfaces seem to show scratches more easily than the beige plastic. Also the black dash highlights every bit of dust, while the tan dash doesn't show off dust as much. I also owned a Mazda 626 with a black interior and the top of the rear seat faded after only 3 years. I've never had that problem with a lighter interior.
  • Options
    The dash is also hard to clean - if I use something like Armorall cleaner I always need to go back over it 2 or 3 times - otherwise it shows streaks.

Armorall?! Yikes, no way. Wipe it down with a white, lint free cloth. done.

I also have black exterior and although it looks great when clean it only stays looking that way for a short time.

True - i owned one black car - but that's the exterior.

Light gray is IMO the best interior color - easy to clean - hides the dirt and is also cooler in the summer.

I have light gray leather in my car and like it. But I also have black floormats - gray carpet is too easy to scuff up. The black floormats are perfect - hides the dirt, offers contrast and protects my light gray carpet.
  • Options
    I like black interiors. I think with a little therapy you could too. :D
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I, too, dislike the black interior as an only choice. What buyers can do is to buy aftermarket leather seating in gray, platinum gray (very light), biege, red or a combination of these colors. The aftermarket leather is better quality and Classic Soft Trim has them already made for Mazdas in the same stitching pattern, they also have door inserts to match. This would contrast nicely with the black dash and center stack. CST will also stitch Mazda's name on the seats. Buyers can order leather or suade seat inserts in matching colors if leather is too hot.

Try http://www.classicsofttrim.com for installation shops in your area.

I would still like plush cut-pile carpet mats, but they don't seem to make those anymore. What ever happened to Beverley Hills Motoring? They use to have carpet mats. Thick carpet mats deaden road noise, looks luxurious, and doesn't show wear as quickly. Matching trunk mats were also cool. Better than that black sprayed-on stuff.

fowler3
  • Options
    dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Any idea what those aftermarket leather seats cost from CST? I am not excited enough yet to call. That would be cool though, I wonder if they could put in heat easily?
  • Options
    fritzillinifritzillini Member Posts: 1
    The passenger side rear window on my wife's new Mazda3 (6 weeks old) shattered for no apparent reason. Anyone with a similar experience?
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Dride: I think they cost $900 for the seats, if a dealer has it done, and they have to send the car to the same shop, they charge $1400 or so. Aftermarket heaters can be installed. Upholstery shops may not do that work, you have to inquire.

fritzillini: I haven't heard of a window shattering. Warrenty will cover it.

fowler3
  • Options
    Actually I have heard of this before. Sometimes a sudden temperature change will do it, or the window may have been improperly installed. I knew a guy with a new Audi that had the back window shatter while the car was parked in his garage!
  • Options
    He's got about a dozen 2006 Mazda3's lined up back there! There were even a coupla hatchbacks in the new "Copper Red Mica" color. Nice!

Meade
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Re: Copper Red Mica

Anyplace on the internet I can see this color? It's supposed to be a new color on the RX8 this year as well and I'm really interested in it.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Copper red is not an RX-8 color. The new colors for the 8 will be Phantom blue and galaxy gray.
  • Options
    "Copper red is not an RX-8 color. The new colors for the 8 will be Phantom blue and galaxy gray."

Not according to this:

http://www.rx8club.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56087

This is the Mazda RX-8 Specification Deck as issued 7/10/05.

Specifically, it list 'copper red' (code 32V) as available only on the Grand Touring edition with FF9 leather interior (not sure what color this is but it is available only with the Copper Red or Snowflake White Pearl exterior).
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    In the world of Mazda, spec decks are one thing....actually being able to order the car is something else...at this point it's not an orderable color on any RX-8. Perhaps it will be used on a special edition of some sort or late availablity....the Tribute, for example, had a color listed all year that was only available at the end of the year.
  • Options
    I've seen the Copper Red Mica on a Mazda3 and although I liked it on that car I don't think it would look good on the RX-8.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    Let's hear it for British humor ...

http://www.mazda.co.uk/know/mazda_movies/MegawashGuys.wmv

Meade
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Meade,

Very funny. I knew there was a good reason I married a Brit. Must have been my Python fascination of the time......the salmon mousssssssssssse.
  • Options
    ezcompanyezcompany Member Posts: 28
    So here I was....and some dude in his new Sp3 Sedan (Mine is Hatch) comes up to my left..and I spotted him in my rear view..I thought it was a black 3. But as he passed me, i saw the Red Sp3 Logo and I was like "sweet - finally I see another Spec Ed on the road". and He was like "wassup" and I was like "wassup".
    seen couple of Mazda 3's around the UNCC area. Seen only 3 or 4 HB's though.
This discussion has been closed.