Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    satristasatrista Member Posts: 15
    Scott
    I'm extremely happy with my Murano. It's an 05 SL with most all the bells and whistles. It's prolly too new to comment on any problems. I bought it in March 05. I've never owned a vehicle I enjoyed driving more and have absolutely no regrets over the purchase. I'm not sure this addresses your issues, but I thought I'd put my two cents in anyway. :)

Cindy in San Antonio, TX
  • Options
    ab2150ab2150 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new 2004 SE AWD Touring in May of this year. It has been absolutely flawless in all respects and incredible to drive. The gas mileage compared to my V8 1998 Jeep Limited is incredibly better, close to 19 mpg in the city. If you look at the reviews (ratings) in Edmunds you will see that they are overwhelmingly positive (9.2 average). If there were major issues then the overall rating numbers would be lower, as is the case for some other types of vehicles.
  • Options
    ivy2776ivy2776 Member Posts: 4
    ok.. ive been doing research on the lexus rx330, nissan murano, bmw x3 and etc.. i had it narrowed to a murano b/c of price, but after reading all these posts.. no thanks!! SCOTT, if i were you, id have to nix the purchase. theres no way id make an investment on a car that apparently comes with "eventual" problems. personally..i think ill wait another 3 months and go for the lexus 330, nice warranty and excellent reputation. i currently have a 96 4runner, and never had a problem (hence its a toyota!!)..before the 4runner i had a VW which was a nightmare.
    low maintenance= peace of mind. i think of it like this.."you always get what you pay for".. scott, go for the lexus!!! if you liked the rx330 (how could you not) maybe also consider the rx 400h ..so thats my opinion for what its worth. :lemon:
  • Options
    jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    " My dilemma now is whether or not to go ahead with the purchase in light of the current alternator recall and the myriad of other compliants registered on this Town Hall?"--

You make it sound like the Murano is the only vehicle that has had problems. Another poster extols the reliability of the RX330 yet the RX330 Problems and Solutions forum lists over 1200 entries since Nov '03.

I think these forums are great for pointing out potential ownership issues but they are certainly skewed toward negative issues by their very nature..
  • Options
    murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    You can't simply judge your purchase on this news group. This group is dedicated to listing problems. Almost all cars will come with some sort of issue, its just the way the industry is. If a car manufacturer created a flawless car then they would lose a lot of money from their bread and butter service departments. One thing I noticed about this website is that there really is not a group setup for the love of the Murano. To tell you the truth. I love my car. It just makes me happy everyday that I drive it. I am not a big fan of the Lexus or the UGLY honda. Volvo does make a great SUV but as long as you buy the brand new V8. But then again since Ford now owns them I would think twice about that purchase. I test drove the H3 and that was one seriously piece of junk. It has an inline 5 with 225 horses and twice the weight. I felt like I was driving a mini school bus. It was slow and awkward. The Infiniti is a really nice SUV. It is costlier and I think the Murano looks better. The 3.5L V6 Nissan engine is a FANTASTIC motor. It is a well built piece of machinery. Most of the complaints are about auxiliary items ( other than the alternator). Most of the complaints do come from the 2003 and early 2004 models. It is typical for many new released vehicles to have small issues but Nissan did make an effort to fix a lot of them. If you have time I would really wait for the 2006 Murano. From what I heard they have upgraded the interior with higher quality products. The later 2005's don't have that many issues either and you probably can haggle for a good price if you bring in the recall notice posted on the internet. The Consumer Report guide lists the Murano very high. It is just one sexy car in my opinion.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My dilemma now is whether or not to go ahead with the purchase in light of the current alternator recall...

For what it's worth, I'd rather buy a vehicle with such a recall than one with a problem the company will not address. You may also want to get feedback from other owners in the main Nissan Murano discussion.

tidester, host
  • Options
    c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Murano Recalled for Battery Problem
    About 140,000 Nissan Murano SUVs will be recalled by the Japanese automaker, according to a report from the Associated Press. The problem with the vehicles is in their electrical system: A wire could break in the alternator and could leave the vehicle without power, which could result in a crash. In the U.S., about 125,000 vehicles are affected, all from the 2003-2005 model years. An additional 15,000 vehicles sold in Canada from the same years are involved. No injuries or crashes have been linked to the problem. Nissan will notify owners and will repair the vehicles for free; for more information, call (800) 647-7261.
  • Options
    tigger5753tigger5753 Member Posts: 43
    but like every car out there, there are problems. If you purely go with this topic: Nissan Murano: Problem and Fixes, you not being very smart about getting all you information together. Do additional research on the other Murano topics, and then research the other vehicles. You will notice the same amount of issues, complaints, etc..

Personally, I've had my 04 SL AWD since last November and it has been a pleasure to drive, and I'm very happy with it (cross shopped it against an X3). Just done two oil changes over the last 8+ months, and that's it!
  • Options
    droodroo Member Posts: 35
    ...actually reading the RX330 Problems forum...no squeaks, rattles, excessive cabin noise levels, smelly AC, whining alternators, warped brakes or transmission problems there, just an "excellent reputation"...you made me curious, so I had a look, and found all that stuff in my first 10 minutes on the forum... :confuse:

I'm sure the 330's nice, it's just that I wouldn't judge overall owner satisfaction for either vehicle by reading a Problems forum, which by its nature is negative; in general, you only come here if you have a problem, not to post that you love your car and everything's great (I think someone already pointed that out...). Even so, there are posts in both forums that "I love my car, and have none of these issues."

You need consider how many thousands of these vehicles have been sold, and what percentage of those people this forum actually represents. Also, how many "perfect" vehicles roll off *any* assembly line anywhere?
  • Options
    droo...agreed.. but the overall build of a toyota or lexus (same thing), at least in my opinion, still stands higher. the first 10 minutes of the 330 discussions mention issues with coin holders and a louder engine than the rx300. basically.. with the recall nissan is experienceing, that alone would sway me against buying a murano. i dont dispute your love for the car, but if im going to spend 30,000+ on a car, i want piece of mind. not a soon -to-fail alternator. and theres no denying the reputation of a lexus. ive simply decided to hold off on my purchase, and maybe the 06 murano will wind up with a thumbs up. but if i had to make a decision today, as scott was trying to do... i would hands down go for the lexus 330. ;)
  • Options
    oh, i forgot to mention, that yes.. you can messure the reliability of a car by reading the problem forums. because these are the things that are important when researching a new purchase. of course theres no such thing as a perfect car off the assembly line.. but the problems kick in after they have been DRIVEN for some time. some problems are serious, and some not so much. when i research, i look for the problem areas and then decide how to weigh them. in response to JMAXE, did you read all the 1200 posts? how bout the posts in reguards to lack of coin space? theres over 833 posts here since 03', that proves nothing. whats important isnt the number of posts, but the content of them. so far the current murano issues at hand are transmission, alternator and battery failure. these are serious issues. owning a car only 2 months old--to have the transmission fail?? in my book, that constitutes major red flags. :sick:
  • Options
    lanwarrior2000lanwarrior2000 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2005 Murano SL AWD and I've been having issue with vibration on the steering wheel AND the accelerator pedal. The chronological summary of the issue is as follow:

1. At 17K, the steering wheel vibrate at HIGHWAY SPEED (over 60 mph) AND shake when BRAKING at highway speed. I took it to the dealer and they perform tire balance. The vibrating while driving at highway speed has subsided, but not the shaking when braking.

2. Brought it back to the dealer and they check rotor and found out it was warped. Fixed the rotor. Now the steering wheel shaking while braking at highway speed is gone. HWOEVER, the steering wheel vibration seems to come back.

3. Brought the car back to the dealer, and they told me, for some reason (?), the tire balance was OFF again. Told me it was probably due to the work they did when fixing the rotor. Rebalance the tire. Vibration seems to be more pronounced now.

4. Brought it back to the dealer and they did tire rotation, tire balance, and wheel alignment. They told me they test drove the car and no vibration now. They also told me that a car this size with a big tire tend to vibrate MORE than a normal car since more of the road surface is touched by the wheels.

So now I've brought my car to the dealer 4 times and the steerign wheel vibration is still more pronounced, with the addition of vibration on the accelerator pedal. To tell you the truth, I dont' eevn know anymore if this is "normal" as it was vibrating here and there before and after the 1st tire balance and rotor fix.

My question: is the steering wheel ont he Murano is vibrating MORE than any other car (non-SUV) due to its size and large tire at highway speed?
  • Options
    Battery problem...what battery problem?
  • Options
    Coin holders? Wow, what some Lexus owners won't whine about. I guess if I paid $10,000 more for a similar vehicle I might expect coin holders to be included. And with a four year head start(RX300) vs the Murano I'm not surprised that most of the design kinks are worked out of the RX330.
  • Options
    jmaxe. i think i made my point..and apparently it was well taken. i rest my case. if you are still in need of reading material, please refer to page 40 #767, #791, page 41 post #794, #797, #812, #830(battery) um the list goes on. seeing how you've diverted the "fault" to new design kinks.. we can just leave it at that. regardless of where the "fault" may lay.. my results haven't changed. in light of the recall, and the many other serious problems murano owners are experiencing...i still wouldn't buy one. im sorry that bothers you so much, but my original post to scott was simply my opinion and im only a simple girl with a knack for knowledge. as they say ..ignorance is bliss. happy driving, and i hope you dont break down and if you do, i hope you have AAA. (as already stated in an ealrier post) :blush:
  • Options
    And that's a perfect opinion for yourself.. it still boils down to that fact that every car has issues - some ppl are luckier than others. There are those who had zero problems with the Murano and those will major issues - the same goes with RX330, X5, etc.. look up auto recalls and most manufactures have them. I believe the Murano alternator recall affects vehicles from 2003 to certain 2005. New vehicles are NOT affected.

Again, do you research and go with your gut....
  • Options
    andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    Just thought I'd throw my two pennies worth in.....I've had a number of minor faults with my Murano, but in the 11 months I've had it, I've put 24k miles on and the issues have been sorted out. Well, still waiting to get the rattling from the undercarriage looked at, but thats simply cos I haven't had time to take it in.
    What it boils down to for me is the Rx330 simply IS NOT worth an extra $5-$10k more than the Murano. In fact, if they were the same price, I would still choose the Murano. I have every option on mine, and to get the same features on the Lexus would be roughly $9k more.
    Ive had the Rx as a rental, I've put several thousand miles on an Rx300, and I can tell you, they are both DULL to drive and underpowered. There were rattles from the dashboard and somewhere in the rear on my rental, the road noise was awful and even though the interior might look fancy, that metallic looking section on the centre console is junky plastic, the knobs and dials felt cheap. At least with the Murano you get real aluminium.
    And the alternator recall won't affect you buying a new one now anyway, so what is there to worry about. They admitted there was a problem and are fixing them all, whether the problem surfaces or not. It just brings a smile to my face everytime I leave an Rx standing at a traffic light.
    It boils down to, are you kind of person who values how your car drives, how you feel every time you sit in the drivers seat, or do you just prefer the badge. I'd rather save $9k and take a couple of very nice vacations thanks.
  • Options
    Anyone have any response to this?
  • Options
    droodroo Member Posts: 35
    “Ignorance is bliss”?!?

OK, I was done, but given the way you selectively interpret the available information, you’re in no position to direct that statement at anyone. You completely ignore the many issues in the 330 forum, while maintaining a death-grip on the ones in the Murano forum. For each of the individual posts you list from the Murano forum, I can list an equivalent post from the 330 forum. While the problems on both forums are understandably upsetting for the individual owners, for the most part they are statistically insignificant given the total number of both vehicles sold.

For example, while you were busy listing Murano problems that don’t even exist (“battery” issue?), you neglected to mention that Lexus recalled over 180,000 330s last year because of a fault that could cause the brake lights to quit working. How is that not a serious safety issue? I guess I just don’t see a clear winner between “I have to leave my vehicle at the dealer for a day to replace a defective part that might have left me stranded” and “I have to leave my vehicle at the dealer for a day to replace a defective part might have gotten me rear-ended.”

The 330 also has transmission issues which have been acknowledged, but apparently not solved, by Lexus:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm

I’m unaware of any information that shows that the overall transmission failure rate is greater for the Murano (or, for that matter, the 330) than it is for any other vehicle. The Murano alternator issue seems to have been addressed from this point forward. Beyond that, I don’t know what “many other serious problems” or “apparently comes with ‘eventual’ problems” you are talking about. One person posts (inaccurately) about a “battery” recall, and now it’s a “serious” issue? I don’t think so.

I’m not saying the Murano is perfect, or superior to the RX. It’s just that you’re reading two forums that actually list reasonably similar issues and proportions of happy vs. unhappy owners, and telling people that one vehicle is clearly superior based on this information. I don’t understand how that’s a valid conclusion.

However, it *does* make about as much sense as this post in the 330 forum:

-------------------------
    670 of 1220 Sep 19, 2004 (12:19 am)
    Now I'm too scared! by bpatch2  
    I've been drooling over the RX330's ever since they were introduced, started test-driving a month ago, and was planning to buy an AWD in the next two weeks. However, I discovered this message board a few days ago, and after reading about all the problems you current owners are having, I'm now thinking I need to look for something else. I'm especially freaked about the transmission hesitation problems, but there are too many other problems addressed here that also have me shaking my head. Any suggestions for an alternative?
    -------------------------

Oh, the irony... :)
  • Options
    homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    From Homeouner; My dealer in virginia beach received 15 alts. to be installed on recalled MO. I am going to IL. on Sat. and they installed it last Thurs. I am very releaved, mine did not go out, Mfg. date was Dec. of 03. They are replacing alt in many 03 MOs so the failures have been happening for at least 1/12 to 2 years. The problem surely was known a long time ago. This alt. must be used on most 3.5 liter engins. The wire flying loose was a suppler W/ bad inspection of rotors to ship 125000 alts. out to their customer, and it really took Nissan a long time to start the recall. I feel the posters on this Forum had a lot to do to get this recall started.
  • Options
    bbbenbbben Member Posts: 1
    from a retired car dealer-Not to burst anyones bubbles, but there is no such thing as a perfect car. All carmakers experience a few defects. I will go in and hve my alternator changed as per the recall, but I have not experienced any of the problems you guys are talking about and chalk it up to the percentage of defects t The best to hope for is a good one, and then its up to the driver to break it in and maintain it properly. My family has owned many makes (Acura/Honda/Toyota...)including my current 2004 Murano SE with Navigation a 1999 Maxima, two prior maximas, an altima and a sentra... I am happy to say that my Murano has 35k trouble free miles. I have only changed oils (synthetic always for the benefits) and air/oil/cabin filters. My current maxima 165K has gone through a battery an alternator(both under warrenty) and the rest of the maintenance items that cars need(brakes etc...) as per the maintenece schedules. It still runs excellent, and I expect it to run great for a long time still.Nissan has been one of the better choices because of they are reliabe and give a great value as compared to Honda and Toyota (the big three in Japan).
    I read every report I can get my hands on, but I have been having trouble trying to find a better all around deal than the murano (as for the cost benefit ratio). It gets 25mpg at 60 mph cruising (due to the synthetic and K&N air filter), and handles like an X5 BMW-really. I don't like the noise on the highway with the rear windows down, but otherwise as compared to what is currently offered, this is one great loaded car for so much less money than the X5 or RX330.
  • Options
    Not sure why anyone is comparing the Lexus 330 to the Murano. They are rated in different classes. The Infiniti would be a better comparison to the Lexus. The Lexus is by far the highest rated of the SUVs by most consumer report mags. Don't get me wrong. I love my Murano and I love the choice I made, but remember, a Lexus is a Lexus. They are just well built cars but you do pay extra for it. Have you considered the SAAB or the Volvo? The SAAB is fairly priced and you can get the ford discount on it. I liked the SAAB but I am 6'4" and could not fit into it because it lost about 4" due to the sunroof. I had the same problem with the Volvo. The BMWs are nice but are overpriced and Maintenance is really expensive. BMW charges close to $50 for an oil change and they build engines in particular ways that make it hard for an average mechanic to service it. I would rate the 3.5L V6 Nissan motor right up there with the Lexus and BMW. I really find the Lexus wood panelling to be cheesy. The Murano is modern and sleek. You have to decide what your top price is and go for it. You are not going to find a perfect car. They just don't exist and if they do you have to pay for it. You might get less problems with a Toyota Corolla, but it is not what you are looking for. This alternator issue is unfortunate. It is casting a dark shadow on the Murano and I don't like that. But stuff like this will happen with a lot of cars. Some manufacturers get it right the first time and others have to take a few stabs at it. Dollar for dollar you cannot match what you get with the Murano. The top of the line Murano is still way cheaper than the bottom of the barrel Lexus. But you should really be comparing the Murano to cars like the Honda Pilot and the Subaru Tribeca, maybe even the H3. BMW, Lexus,Infiniti are a totally different class of cars. By the way. If people want good gas mileage then buy a small car. You all make me laugh when you complain why an SUV gets bad gas mileage. Hmmmm, I wonder why? Maybe because they weigh more and have larger engines than smaller cars. If gas prices have you mad then go buy a Prius and a glass of wheat grass juice to sooth your pain.
  • Options
    jaimjaim Member Posts: 4
    We intend to purchase 2 Muranos this week either SE or SL. Is the SE ride quality too harsh? SE owners please weigh in. My frame of reference is our current Maxima GXE. On many drives I notice situations where stiffer springs and shocks such as on the SE would be preferred, hence I lean toward the Murano SE, but road tests suggest the SE is too harsh and the SL about right. I tried a search with no results. Thanks!
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    You really need to drive BOTH the SE and SL, and not just around the block!

I do a great deal of high altitude mountain driving. Not small hills and slightly curvey roads, but the High Sierra' s. The SL is more than fine. I have owned both, but as you might have noted here in these forums, I think it's safe to say the majority think the ride on the SL is a bit nicer. Nothing major, but just a tad easier, a smidge less rigid. :)

My only caution would be to make sure you get the SL Touring and Tech packages for sure. If you don't you will regret it later! :P
  • Options
    I couldn't tell the difference when I drove the SL and SE back to back..I didn't care much for the SE rims, so I went with the SL...
  • Options
    Thanks for responding, we will go with SL with touring package! Agreed on the rims!
  • Options
    I personally would go with the SE. I have the SE, I drove an SL in CA for a few hundred miles, and I do prefer the slightly stiffer struts on mine. With the SE you also get HID headlights (or you did last year, have they changed that?) which are well worth it, and also the 'manual' shift option, which is also worth it.
    The Murano was released in the UK a few months ago, the only choice available is in body colour, everything is standard. It retails for around $50k, but then most cars are more expensive, especially with the exchange rate. Most of the modifications to the car have been related to safety and handling, the suspension has been tuned to make it much sportier than the US model. So I don't think there can be any complaining over here that the SE rides too harsh!
  • Options
    homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    RE. ALT. I spoke W/ the NHTSA person in Washington D.C. about the alt. recall. He had im his office two alts. a recalled, and the replacement, both cut-aways. The replacement had a band around the rotor shaft inboard of the slip rings where the coil-rotor wires are connected to the slip rings. The band will hopefully keep the wires from flying away from the slip rings causing the alt. problems.
  • Options
    coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I test drove a Murano this week and inquired about any changes for 2006 realizing that they would be cosmetic and mostly interior changes. All the salesmen professed not to know anything about changes. When I said that I thought it was time to update the interior as they had done with the Altima everyone said it wasn't necessary because the interior was of better quality than the Altima. A lame answer at best.
    So I am interested in how you attained information about changes, I have been waiting for the car magazines to highlight the 2006 models which will probably give me some indication but any light you can shed on this subject would be most welcome since I am considering the purchase of a Murano and have to decide if it is worth waiting until the new model is available.
  • Options
    Thanks for the SE rec. I decided I needed to compare back to back today, and I agree wholeheartedly with you. The SL is undersprung and underdamped in my opinion. You feel every minute ripple and crack in the asphalt or concrete whereas the SE with stiffer springs and shocks filters out all of that. The SL suspension reminds me exactly of my 90 Maxima GXE and I hated the ride quality of the car until I replaced the struts with some KYB's several years down the road. Thanks for helping me avoid a huge mistake.Shoppers, be sure to drive both back to back and adjust the tire pressures to factory spec before the test. Both vehicles today were at 40 PSI vs 32 PSI spec, it makes a huge difference in the ride qualities Good Luck!
  • Options
    I found this information at:
    http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38207/

Here is the blurb from the report.

Sources say this crossover will get interior upgrades for 2006. Murano is one of several newer Nissans criticized by press and public alike for low-buck cabin materials and, in some cases, weirdo design features. Nissan is moving fast to answer the complaints. Specifics on Murano updates should be available soon, so keep checking back with us. Otherwise, no big changes are expected for awhile.
  • Options
    jim2849jim2849 Member Posts: 2
    I had this happen to me today. I pulled up to a friends house, key in ignition, engine running. Got out of the car, left the driver's door open. While I was out of the car, the driver's door closed partially, leaving me locked out. This has happened to me before. I do not think the "autolock" feature has anything to do with this problem. When the door opens with the key in the ignition, ALL of the doors need to unlock. I called the dealer and they are going to look into this.

BTW: Midnight Blue 2004 SL, great car. NOT ONE PROBLEM so far. Gas mileage is not great (17 around town, 22 on the HW). Love the car but if it locks me out again, I am trading it in. :mad:

Would like to hear how to prevent this (short of
    taking the keys out each and every time!).
  • Options
    tammyptammyp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 SL Murano (not AWD). Just last week it was in the shopto get the alternator problem taken care of. Ironically there now is a recall for the same problem. In addition to the alternator problem we had the dealer look in to the same vibration issue you are describing. We had already done a tire rotation, in addition to checking the rotors (my husband is a mechanic), so we knew that this was not the problem. Dealer drove the car, and did notice the vibration, but did not know why. They changed the alternator and the vibration went away. They said that is was related to the alternator problem. My husband thinks that when they were replacing the alternator they had the battery disconnected which in return resets the computer that adjusts the transmission. Try disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes and see if this works. Might save you a couple trips back to the service center.

Because the Murano is such a new vehicle a lot of the service centers do not have a lot of experience diagnosing them. With that said, very seldom does the size of the tires cause the steering wheel to shake.
  • Options
    There is a setting to have the doors automatically lock at a given time interval or turn it off all together. It is part of the system settings in your in dash computer. I set mine to never autolock.
  • Options
    In all reality, the dealer has no clue as to what they are talking about. My Murano has the backup camera and when i asked the dealer as to where exactly the camera was he pointed to the silver rear door button. He had no clue that the camera was under the handle. I only figured it out by reading the manual. They also told me that I would be able to check my tire pressure with my in dash screen. Wrong again. My Murano does not have the VDC package thus it does not have the tire pressure monitor system installed. When I called the dealer and told them that I could not find the feature they had no clue what to do, again it was the manual that helped me out. When I wanted to get my Sirius setup, again they had no clue as to how I could find the serial code so that Sirius could activate it. I only received 10 channels out of the lot and the dealer told me that is all I would get for the first three months. Wrong again!! I just had to call sirius with the id and they gave me 3 months free ( thanks to this news group in helping me find that out). I asked the dealer if the car had an integrated alarm. he told me that all it had was the factory alarm. I asked him if nissan could upgrade it with shock sensors and he said that they were very expensive and not go there. I called service and for $130 they setup shock sensors and it is all still integrated with the same key fob . I had made an appointment with best buy to install a $400 alarm before I decided to call nissan service one last time. The sad part was it was not just my sales person who was an idiot. I must have spoken to every sales person there about these issues and they were just clueless. I love my Murano but my experience with the dealership has been awful to say the least. Whenever you want to get your car fixed take my advise. Just don't hand your keys over to the first mechanic that walks up to you. Speak to the service manager and have a mechanic explain to you first what they think the problem is. This will force them to get the one person that may know your issue and have them work on your car instead of having some other guy struggle to figure out the issue.
  • Options
    Just a quickie to see if anyone else has had this, Im wondering why all these random problems are happening to my car?!!!

I have the Bose system (actually, I guess this might not be a Nissan fault) and driving home from work tonight listening to a CD, the sound just abruptly stopped coming out of any of the left speakers. I fiddled with the balance control to no avail. However, the weird thing is, it's fine if I'm listening to Sirius or regular radio, or a tape (remember those things). Just CD's wont work in stereo anymore. I thought maybe the CD was scratched or damaged, but I tried every CD in the changer and none of them would play in stereo. Very weird.

So my next trip to dealer will be for oil change, power outlets blowing, rattle from undercarriage, alternator recall and stereo problem. Oh happy days.

Did I mention I love my car though?!
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, tammyp. I am not a mechanic :) but what is the relation between the alternator and the vibration on the steering wheel? I thought this is usually related to tires or the steering rack-pinion.

However, I'll try your solution. Anything I need to watch out when unplugging the battery ?(besides resetting the radio, clock, etc.)

Speaking of vibration, I noticed now that the accelerator pedal is also vibrating quite furiously, especially at speed above 65 mph. Does that happen to you?
  • Options
    There have been some posts about the cd player issues that you are experiencing. I read from one post that someone had to have it replaced a few times.
  • Options
    kcimatokcimato Member Posts: 12
    I have an 03 Murano and when I went to start my car yesterday it was deader than a doornail Had it towed to the dealer and they did the recall service but said they would charge me for a new battery. I am outraged. The recall caused the battery problem. The car is still there. Anyone else had to deal with this?
  • Options
    I would contact Nissan HQ. Sent an email frm their website.

I have some issue with a Nissan dealer (Serramonte Nissan) and I contacted them this way and Nissan HQ actually called me up.
  • Options
    kcimatokcimato Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, I'll try that route. Do you happen to know the website address?
  • Options
    texiantexian Member Posts: 7
    My '03 Murano SL died today with my 7 month old boy in the car in 100 degree heat. I have had the rear end replaced, the alternator replaced (a year ago), the battery replaced, I get 12 MPG and the dealer, Bates Nissan in Killeen, Texas refuses to do anything. Nissan refuses to do anything. The owner told he he would not buy the car back because he wouldn't be able to resell it. Duh! I am past outrage. He promised me I could meet with the Nissan rep (didn't happen) They promised me they would take care of the mileage problem (didn't happen) My mistake was i believed them until it was too late to file under the lemon law. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    corpse3corpse3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the exact same problem on my 2004 Murano at 12K miles. Same symptoms, same result. Dealership has ordered the part "VOR" and expects to take 2-3 days to fix.
  • Options
    jcahoustonjcahouston Member Posts: 3
    This feature is not available in the 2003 model.
  • Options
    moby232moby232 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Murano SL and every time I use the climate control I get pissed. If you put the system on Auto you can only have one setting which is to have the air blow to your feet. Also, when it is blazing hot outside, I usually keep the temperature @ 60 at first; however if it gets a little too cold and I try to raise the temperature to anything above 60, such as 61, I will get hot air blowing out of the system. Even if the weather is 100 degrees, and I turn on the AC to 65 or anything above 60 there will be hot air coming out of the system. Does anyone out there have this problem and or maybe knows what to do about it or why it is happening.
  • Options
    popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    I have an 05 Murano SL AWD with 8K miles. I noticed today that the dual temperature controls for the air conditioner/climate control only works on the driver side. The passenger side dial does not respond to temperature change. Has anyone had this problem?
  • Options
    creilly28creilly28 Member Posts: 6
    In response to people having problems with dual control. I have an 05 SL AWD with 2200 miles. Have had no problems. The system works fine. I think you guys need to get it into have yours looked at.
  • Options
    larioslarios Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I just had this same exact problem yesterday. My car is sitting at the dealership--only 5k miles on it and Nissan's response is that they haven't heard of this problem before. Thanks for your info it should help me when I yell at the dealership some more. If anything else has happened to your car since May, please fill me in.
  • Options
    pedruspedrus Member Posts: 1
    My recently bought MO came with the service engine soon' light on. The salesman said it was a quick fix. Took the vehicle to the dealer the next day just to find they were not able to fix it. they have tried to replace a sensor two times and now they are talking of replacing the engine module. Tomorrow I'll have a long talk with the manager. I want the vehicle replaced and some type of compensation for the inconveniences (3 trips to the dealer with a 2 week old suv)
  • Options
    texiantexian Member Posts: 7
    This is actually one feature on my Murano that works and I love. Be sure the dual contol is on. If you manually increase the fan speed the automatic control will go off (my wife uses the fan speed when she drives and I always wondered why the auto control was off when I got in) I don't know why the air would only be blowing iunder the dash but my advice is take it in and get it in writing that they will fix it cuz Bates Nissan in Killeen, TX will lead you on until it is too late and then blame Nissan.