Options

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    I'm making a long trip up to Canada this weekend, so I asked my dealer if he could fit me in this week for a service and to switch out the alternator, just in case. I was booked in immediately for tomorrow morning. I'm having no major running issues at the moment, so hopefully the new alternator won't affect anything.
    However, I do have a few niggly little things I'm going to ask them about - including the constant rattle from the undercarriage, every time you go over a slightly uneven road surface, it rattles away. With the windows down you can hear it perfectly, but with them up the sound insulation on this car is too good and you cant hear anything. Also over the last few weeks I have noticed a squeak from the drivers rear side when you get in or out of the car. And the last 2 days something in the general vicinity of the wheels has started squealing. I'm guessing the brakes, but I thought they would last more than 30k? Maybe not. It was also, up until a week or so ago, squealing when you would reverse, but for some bizarre reason that seems to have subsided.
    Also, a random rust spot appeared on one of the doors a few weeks ago, just a tiny little spot, but its in such a position that I know it hasnt been banged, there is no indentation or any other scratches around it. Not so good.
    I shall let you know how everything works out after tomorrow. I have 6k left under warranty, I think when it gets down to the wire I'm going to purchase the extended warranty, I'm afraid I just dont have enough faith in it!
    However, I do still love it, and after driving many many other SUVs, I wouldnt swap it. Well, maybe a straight swap with a range rover or cayenne, but thats about it!
  • Options
    tgmototgmoto Member Posts: 3
    Who was/is the service manager?
  • Options
    I just moved to this area and have a Nissan, I was considering another Nissan, did Bates resolve your battery issue? Just wondering who they are.
  • Options
    I read on another forumn that the idle air learning (?) had to be redone for the alternator to function properly...
  • Options
    baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    2005 SL AWD 7,500 miles. Driving at 45, rounded a corner easily, pressed on accelerator...nothing. Engine in idle speed. 'SLIP' LIGHT AND 'CHECK ENGINE' LIGHT ON. Coasted 300 yards, pulled over. Idle...no acceleration. Turned off ignition, got book. It described the slip light and so forth, but not much clue...turned key back on...all fine, Check Engine ON but SLIP now gone. Dealer #1: "Needs an alternator." I said, how come it got well in 45 seconds??? No clue. Dealer #2: get it down here yesterday. We have never seen or heard of this.
    Now, three days later, I am waiting for the check engine to turn off and the vehicle is perfect.
    This is like a computer crash, a DISH TV crash or a phone left off the hook...you turn them off, wait, and they reset.
    Really don't want a dealer fooling around with a non-recalled alternator...but if they plug in the diagnostic computer, it might tell them something they can replace and make a fortune from Nissan. On the other hand, it may never happen again. On the other hand, my wife is driving it...and is ready to pull over and restart.
    Anybody out there heard of this neat way to get killed in a Murano? And doesn't everyone agree the lights and junk make these cars a dealer's dream...particularly when on warranty......
    Thanks for any input. John B in California...otherwise, love the darned thing.
  • Options
    pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    I'm taking in my Murano tomorrow to get the alternator changed. So far my MO has been fine. Since reading the posts, I dont want the car to act up after the fix or get stuck if the alternator goes bad.
    Like they say darned if you do and darned if you dont. Scary situation.
  • Options
    ahetuahetu Member Posts: 1
    After ordering just the Murano I wanted and waiting four months for it to arrive, I drove it for four weeks and the transmission went out. Up to that point there were no problems, then as I was coming off a freeway ramp, I stopped then started to turn onto the street, and the car would not move forward. I had to be towed back home 30 miles to the dealership. They said it was a faulty transmission and sent out Nissan engineers to look at the car. They replaced the transmission and are waiting for another part that the engineers insisted be replaced as well...the master control module. That part is on back order and won't be here for another week. The car has been in the shop now for three weeks, and it will likely be there at least one to two more. I have always had an American-made car until now, and as someone said in another thread "This is my first and last Nissan!"

Anyone else have a similar problem?
  • Options
    102393102393 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Murano w/50K miles on it and the tranmission went up on 9/4. Its been at the dealer since then and supposedly the parts are on backorder with no estimate for when they'll be available. Looks like I just squeeked in under the warranty but I'd like to have my car back soon.

I also had problems if I stop the car after driving for about 10 minutes or so. When I restart the engine, it starts up but immediately shuts off. Its not like a stall though b/c you don't even realize that it shut off until you try to move the car.
  • Options
    platinumbird1platinumbird1 Member Posts: 25
    Can anyone tell me how to set the auto climate control on murano 2005 model?.. Appreciate any information.. Thanks!
  • Options
    Err, not entirely sure what you mean, can you be more specific?? Presssing auto then turning the temp controls does it for me.
  • Options
    03muranoowner03muranoowner Member Posts: 6
    Finally tested it on an incline and everything seems fine.

Sooooooo glad I got the extended warrenty. I figure I've had at least $7000 worth of repairs after the initial 36,000 miles (though some problems were documented before the warrenty expired)
  • Options
    03muranoowner03muranoowner Member Posts: 6
    Have the same problem too...it's pretty intermitant.

Leaps and bounds better then the 2000 Quest I had. That car
    would turn on the heater when it was 90 degrees outside and
    wouldn't work otherwise for at least 20 minutes. Had it replaced
    3 times and gave up.
  • Options
    jaxtestajaxtesta Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me yesterday, I turned the engine off & then back on again right away & the car was fine. Went right to dealer who said that the Throttle position sensor was bad & replaced it right away. Mine is also a 2005 with 7,900 miles. Like you love the thing but very worried that more will happen........
    hope you got yours fixed.
  • Options
    jekirkwoodjekirkwood Member Posts: 1
    Andytommo:

Fortunately I have not had all of the problems you list, but a month or so ago I had to have the fuse(es) replaced for the power outlets. The dealer told me that I could not plug/unplug anything into the outlets while the engine was running. :confuse:

Basically, plug it in when the vehicle is off, then start the engine. Stop the engine before unplugging it.

This sounds like a design flaw to me. I have never had any car that was this finicky with their power outlets.

What are you hearing from your dealer?

In all other respects, the car has been great since I bought it (May '05, SL 2WD Touring Package).
  • Options
    suesnowmansuesnowman Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering what happened with your 05 Murano. Similar thing just happened with me...5500 miles on my Murano..almost got creamed by an 18 wheeler on the highway when I was unable to move. AWD light and Check engine light both popped on, then the AWD went off after I turned car off and restarted. Dealer says NEW transmission, except they have no idea when they can actually even get one from Nissan. Did they replace your transmission...alternator...or are you still having problem?
  • Options
    shop4shop4 Member Posts: 17
    My problem began 120 miles after I picked up my Murano in July of '03. The vehicle started jerking, and the rpm's started fluctuating. Brought it into a Nissan dealer who told me that I needed a new transmission. Same story--an engineering team from Nissan wanted to do it themselves, and take the transmission with them. It took two weeks to get it fixed, but the 30,000 since then the transmission has been fine. Unfortunately I have experienced the door locking problem (the dealer said they fixed it, but they didn't it still happens every once in a while). I advise everyone to keep a spare key in your pocket when bringing the vehicle to a car wash, or attended parking garage. I continue to have the problem with the air conditioner controls--one trip it might blow out the dashboard vents, the next trip it changes to dashboard and floor vents. I also have a problem with the drivers side window--- when down rattles like my fathers old '67 Oldsmobile. My friend who also owns a 2003 just had an issue with the electronics that control the fuel cap. It had to be disabled in order for him to open the door. The plastic door panel where the seatbelt rests is also very scratched from the release of the belt when getting out--one dealer says that it is my fault, but another acknowledged the problem and said that they would fix it no/charge.
  • Options
    murphy16murphy16 Member Posts: 4
    @# But of course, the Nissan dealers won't fix it since my car is still in warranty! Brought the car to my mechanic and it now rides like a car. He changed the tire rods and stabilizers. Of course, I paid a lot of money. But I'm more comfortable now and assured that I won't break down in the middle of the highway. My alternator also died in July 05, alternator and battery were replaced. Last week, the Nissan dealer tried to check the suspension problem and said they rotated the tires. A few days later, my car was shaking in the highway when I did over 40 MPH and got worse whenever I tried to brake to stop the shaking. Dealer said, that wasn't my complaint at first. I told them that if they balanced the tires after rotating them, I wouldn't have had that extra problem besides the rattles which they didn't fix.
  • Options
    danvidarstledanvidarstle Member Posts: 10
    the same thing happened to me and my murano. i did not go to the dealer cos the car seemed perfectl fine after i restarted it. 4 weeks later i had to bring in the car for what me dealer calls a "transmission problem" its been about a week and the parts are still on backorder. i hate muranos. they suck. im stuck with a loaner car that my teenagers can not drive because they are not 21. that is what i was told. i have a tennager who is 20 and needs to drive to get to college but now she has to find other means of transportation. shouldve gotten a pilot.
  • Options
    homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    This note is not about loss of power, but about the call back about the possibility of the dual gas tanks being punctured by ordinary road obsticals or road trash that can puncture the gas tanks.?? Saw this note in the Virginian Pilot this morning. Does anyone have any more info on this.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pretty skimpy details right now - here's the story from the Detroit Free Press.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    That would have been one hell of a lawsuit against Nissan. Sooner or later someone is going to have their murano stall and then get hit by another car. Nissan will be sued for millions.
  • Options
    murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    WOW!!! If it's not one thing then its another. I cannot believe all of these issues with the Murano. I am starting to get embarrassed by driving one with all of the negative press it is receiving. I am going to review the california lemon law and see about having Nissan take my murano back. I would rather dip some extra cash for the Lexus LX and have better peace of mind. Every time I drive now I am worried about stalling or something happening. This should not be the case for a car, especially a brand new one. I think a full recall or repurchase of the Murano might be in the pipeline if these type of problems persist. :lemon:
  • Options
    homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    Correction: The Murano fuel tank is a one piece unit rectangular in shape mounted crossways under the rear seat.. A 6"X6" recess run down the middle under the tank to provide clearance for the exhaust pipe (not very well tucked up in the recess) so it looks like a dual tank. There is a metal shielding in the recess and extending 6-7" on either side of the recess, but leaving about 12" unprotected on either ,side,end of the tank.
  • Options
    achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    I have had my MO since Feb 03 with no problems at all...my vin was not on the alternator recall list..the only thing needing replacing was the cd changer..i have 35k miles
  • Options
    murano05murano05 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, reading these post's is really worrying me. Today(9/22/05), I had the exact same problem...loss of power, AWD and engine light came on. Even raving at 7k rpm moved the car only slightly. Than switched off and started again...the power was back except for the engine service soon light.

Looks like an inherent manufacturing flaw here seeing so many exact same symptoms.

Dropped the car to the dealer today...awaiting diagnostic results.

BTW, my '05 car has only 3000 miles on it and is two months old.
  • Options
    Dealer appointment (just can't wait for this wonderful event) will be Sept 27...since loss of power event, works fine, check engine light still on...was hoping it would go away. Tranny, shifting, etc all seem perfect. Wife drives vehicle...7,600 miles...is really easy on it, never has abused transmission. Will fill in details after dealer visit. One thing I know...no way I'm leaving it there for somebody to fool around with for three weeks...probably not even sure what is wrong. John B
  • Options
    jimr3jimr3 Member Posts: 1
    AWD 2003 - has had the alternator recall at the dealership two weeks ago, has done 65,000kms (Qc Canada). Just this afternoon, I was driving through the local village and the car just died - no warning, just suddenly no engine, no electricity anywhere. We tracked it down to a tiny fuse mounted on the battery terminal which has blown - melted and this cuts off everything.
    We had to short it out to close the windows and lock the car so I could leave it, will try to get the dealer to pick it up on Monday morning. But it makes you wonder, what would have happened if I had been moving fast, or on the highway - suddenly no power brakes, no power steering, nothing ...... its a pity, because otherwise, its been a great car .. so far!
  • Options
    shop4shop4 Member Posts: 17
    Yesterday I took my Murano on a 250 mile trip. All was well until I went to the gas station and tried to open the fuel door. It did not open. I tried locking and unlocking the doors, starting the engine, you name it and it did not work. My co-worker had the same problem in Pennsylvania. The local dealer knew the problem immediately and removed the rear panel inside the car and disabled the electronic lock for the fuel door, then ordered the parts. When I called my dealer they acted like I had three heads. Told me to use a screwdriver to pry it open. I told him of my concern of damaging the paint--he just laughed! Finally got it open at the next stop an hour later. Now I leave the door slightly ajar until I can get it to the dealer. Anyone else have this electrical problem?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    The fuse must have blown to protect the circuit. It would be premature to conclude at this point, that the fuse located at the battery terminal was at root cause for the unit shutting down. Something caused the ckt to try to handle too much current, and the fuse protected the ckt. Now the real sleuthing starts. Because the alternator was just replaced, it makes one wonder if the replacement was defective. Ask if a bad replacement alternator could be at fault.
  • Options
    groklibgroklib Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with the tailgate of my 2003 Nissan Murano. The
    top of the tailgate over the hinges that attach the gate to the door are arching.
    Sometimes, usually during warm weather, they arch enough so as to hit the roof line of the Murano when the tail gate is open. If I push down on the plastic arch, I can successfully create enough space to open the tailgate -- but this requires a bit of dexterity.

I suspect that some epoxy over the hinges has released -- due to hot/cold expansion contraction or due to constant pressure of the airstream coming over the roof of the car and creating turbulence in the gaps above the hinges of the tailgate. I live in western Connecticut, so there are significant seasonal temperature changes.

I have taken the Murano to auto body shops -- and they, naturally, recommend replacing the entire tailgate door. This, with the labor, comes to about $3,000 US. So, I am looking for other ways to correct the problem. The Nissan dealer, while friendly, is pretty clueless about what to do. I do not see any technical service bulletins from Nissan on this subject -- so I do not know if this is a wide spread problem -- or just an odd problem that a few Muranos are having.

I have thought of putting some steel reinforcement above the hinge and using some
    pop rivet or screw to attach the top of the plastic tailgate to this metal that
    I would put into the top area of the interior tailgate. I am a bit worried that
    while such an approach would flatten out the arches -- that over time cracks in
    the plastic would develop outward from the drill holes through the top of the tailgate. There does not seem to be an aftermarket spoiler (like Lund Windjammer) that could cover up things either.

Alternately, I could use some epoxy and clamp the whole top of the tailgate down
    (or apply weight to across the whole upper lip of the tailgate). But, what epoxy
    is best?? Was there a change to the epoxy used since 2003?

The tailgate is made by:

Quadrant Plastic Composites AG
    Hardstrasse 5, P.O. Box
    CH-5600 Lenzburg, Switzerland

and is a glass mat thermoplastic.

I have seen other Muranos on the highway, and at speed, have seen these arches above the tailgate hinges.

I would prefer getting advice from someone who is not shade tree mechanic or a profit motivated auto body collision shop owner... Any advice appreciated in advance!!!!
  • Options
    sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    I have an '03 Murano and really haven't had any problems with it at all. Recently I went to Firestone to get a rotation and balance since the dealer charges 4 times as much to do this. After that my wheel had a vibration in it especially at higher speeds. I went back and still had the vibration after the second visit. The I broke down and went to the dealer . They balanced the front two tires. The car seemed fine after that but 2 days later the vibration was back. I went back to the dealer they balanced them again. Still vibrating. I went back again and they checked everything. They balanced the tires again and it still vibrated. The last thing they tried was putting the stick on weights on the rim and didn't use the more reliable clip on weights. That was last friday, i still have a very minor vibration through the car but have decided to live with it since the steering wheel is no longer vibrating back and forth. Anyone else have a problem like this? My warrenty has 3500 miles left.
  • Options
    Thanks to those of who read my initial post in which 05 Murano suddenly would not respond to accelerator pedal...stayed in idle, then "got well" when ignition switched off...waited..then on. "Service Engine Soon" stayed on for 500 miles of trouble-free driving. Went to dealer today (lst chance). Throttle position sensor, just as two smart web folks had advised. "We have seen this before, about four times, and we replace it (warranty) and it stays fixed. The CVT transmission has not been a problem at all, at least not for our Central Valley (CA) dealership." I remembered a post where an owner was told it needed a new transmission...I hope he reads this and gets the TPS checked. Took one hour..in and out. Light off, hopefully for keeps. This is the ONLY problem in 8,000 miles. MPG running about 22 highway, one passenger, on the flat. Thanks again for the advice from those who figured this out. I went in and told them about that diagnosis, and they went right to it. John in CA
  • Options
    The Murano, like many new cars, does not have a cable or a rod directly linking the accelerator pedal with the carburetor. Instead, there is a sensor by the pedal, and wires link to the carburetor, translating electrical impulses into more or less gas. The direct links, still used in airplanes in dual modes for safety, were deleted from automobiles because of frozen cables, and stuck links which put cars through garage walls. So, again, technology marches on...is it better??? Who knows. AMEN
  • Options
    madatmuranomadatmurano Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem about a year ago with my 03. It sat at the dealer for 2 weeks while they waited for the "part" to come in. They said it was a bad motor relay. I have not had any recurrance of this issue since. I have had the same loss of power and "vibration" issues I have been reading about. Overall pretty pissed off that my world class nissan is having so many problems! :mad:
  • Options
    madatmuranomadatmurano Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue. My dealer tells me that the 4 brand new tires I put on 7,000 miles ago are "bad", and to go back to the store I bought them from. The store I bought them from says it is an alignment issue. All 4 tires are worn down to the replace marker after 7,000 miles. Both dealer and 3rd part say there is no alignment problem though :mad: This combined with my power loss issues, dead battery (2 weeks before recall of alternator, yet "unrelated" to recalled alternator? according to nissan), check engine lights etc.etc. etc. I am ready to dump it and take the loss rather than keep pumping money into it. Anyone else with similiar problems?
  • Options
    sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    I went to a Firestone dealer today who I have dealt with in the past and they said it very well could be the tires. I have never been big on rotate and balance every 5000 miles but he said "your car may be driving straight but the camber or the toe could be off just a little, cause uneven wear, and lead to this issue. Still seems a little odd since the dealer did a free alignment at about 12k because it was drifting left. I'm going to tough it out and when I need new tires we'll see what happens. :confuse: Otherwise I must say I really haven't had any major problems and i do not go in for every suggested maintenance visit. What a ripoff! I change fluids and look it over myself.I only go in with problems. And the only other problem I had was the squeaking and creaking other people have complained about. They put little 1 inch velcro tabs between the door panels and the frame of the door, they also put grease where the rubber piece on the hatch frame comes in contact with the car. That stopped the hatch from creaking. Don't give up, another car could be far worse.
  • Options
    The tire pressure sensors built into the valve stem add significant weight to that side of the tire, so most balancing weights will be needed directly across from the valve stem. "Stick on" weights are very efficient, as the do not spin off, as they are on the inside of the wheel rim. Since quite a few are needed to balance a Murano with sensors, they must be "Stacked"...that is, one weight stuck on top of another, up to three in a little stack, rather than spread out over the inner surface. Once your balancer knows this, it is easy. A dumb tire guy failed me, and I took it to a real pro who did it this way and told me why. No vibration. John in CA
  • Options
    gem_timgem_tim Member Posts: 5
    So far I am using regular gas(Exon) in my 20005 SL AWD and I have not had a problem so far. My car is only 2 weeks old though so if I do experience a problem I'll let you know and if you could do the same for me, thanks
  • Options
    roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    does anyone have a noisy glove box door and lock. the one in mine from time to time rattles when going over bumps. has anyone had luck gettng this fixed.

also, has anyone had luck getting the drivers seat fixed so that it stays fixed. it seems that some owners have had several repairs, and are no better off than before the first repair.

by the way, on the tire issue, a pull to the left or right could indicate radial tire pull. the best way to verify is to swap the front tires and see if the pull is now on the other side. if it is, its not the alignment. i have never seen stacked stick on weights and a good computer balancing machine withh tight tolerances should give a really good balance. i had a bad tire and it was replaced by goodyear and the re-balance was perfect. no stacking.
  • Options
    igo380igo380 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Murano developed a whining noise in the transmission. Took it in to the dealer and of course no noise... They finally heard it and are going to replace the tranny under warranty. But the dealer does not know what the issue is as Nissan wants it back without breaking it down. Second issue is that he has had another one in for a tranny for over a Month! Not a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Is this a trend with the car?
    Are there any others out there with the same issues?

Thanks
  • Options
    frankw4frankw4 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2004 and was wondering if anybody is having problems with their stereo? (stations not 100% clear)
    I have no static from 2 other vehicles I own but the Murano has jus a touch of static...enough to be annoying.....is anybody else experiencing this...I called the service dept. and they said it's probably due to the satellites in my area......
    You could tell he was brushing me off....no other vehicle I own has this problem.
  • Options
    bryan71bryan71 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know where I can find the Sirius module? I am thinking of activating it, but I need it's ID/ESN number, when is supposedly printed on the module. Does anyone know where this thing is installed so that I can look at it? Thanks.
  • Options
    If you have had it installed, flick through the channels that come through by default until you get on which just has a bunch of numbers on it. That's your units ID number. Also, your dealer should have given you a tag with a barcode on it which also has your units ID.

My last trip to the dealer was pretty good actually, got the alternator recall done, a new cd player is on order, 30k service, stopped the squealing wheels, plus, they mentioned something in passing which I later thought about and tried something, and have discovered the source of the rattling undercarriage!!!!

Apparently the technician couldnt hear the rattling (quel surprise), so they just tightened up a few things anyway (why are they loose in the first place?!?!). The service manager mentioned they tightened up the parking brake mechanism, as that has been known to rattle a little, and there isnt much that can be done about it. When I drove it, the rattle was still there, but less pronounced. The next day i just put the parking brake on a couple of notches while driving through the pothole infested roads of philly, and the rattle completely disappeared! So it is the parking brake mechanism. I'll mention it to them next time and maybe they can tighten it some more?!

Anway, after the service, I had to do some long trips, and I put 2100 miles on it in 10 days. Not a single problem, running as smooth as a brand new vehicle, and in those 10 days I averaged 21.9mpg.

We may complain about our muranos, but other cars have problems aswell - other company car i drive is an 04 Envoy. Apart from the fact its built from cheap plasticcy bits and the interior fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired (I cut myself when opening the door once) I took it in for a service today, and there were 2 recalls out for it regarding turn signals which randomly stop working and/or stick on permanantly (which mine were doing), plus some circuit board that was shorting out and may cause the rear stop lights to fail. Now thats dangerous in my mind! Oh, it also drives like a truck, literally. Oh, and it averages 17.5mpg. Potential buyers, dont be put off. Every car has issues. The more gadgets in a car, the more there is to go wrong.
  • Options
    johnovjohnov Member Posts: 1
    The problem you describe is EXACTLY what happened to me in my Murano at just around 7500 miles.

The Nissan Dealer towed the car (luckily I was only 1/2 mile from the dealership) and had it in diagnostics for 4 days.

The end result was "Electronic Throttle Control" failure. They replaced the Electronic Throttle Control and then everything was fine UNTIL this morning.

I had my 15k service last week -- they replaced alternator from recall. That was 5 days ago -- this morning on the way to work going 65 on the highway, suddenly I had no acceleration (like before) but no warning lights came on. Pulled over to the shoulder (or should I say coasted?) and when I put the car in neutral, the engine revved up - I put back into drive and the car was fine -- but still no warning lights.

Have an appt in the morning to bring to Nissan service -- if this problem happens again, I'd say Nissan would be in for a good law suit if I have an accident over this.
  • Options
    roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    has anyone found a dealer (on the internet or otherwise) who is selling a factor nissan service contract for a fair price? lots of us would like to know.
  • Options
    aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    I've worked a few cars, and from my experience, if you disconnect any batter while an engine is running, the engine will turn off immediately. If your statement is true, then as soon as the alternator fails, the engine will shut off...

In reality, the alternator's sole purpose is to charge the battery and keep the charge going- the battery is then THE MAIN power source, sending power to the electrical devices in the vehicle. When the alternator fails, the car will run (albeit with the battery indicator illuminated) until the battery can no longer power the transmission or coils, etc.

I've had an alternator go bad on my Acura at about 112K miles, pretty straight forward swap out, the dealer will refund a portion of the new alternator for the old core- just make sure while you're at it, you may want to change the serpentine belt as well... In this instance, Nissan should pay for parts and labor, and since they need to take off the belt to get to the alternator, you should only be charged for parts....
  • Options
    nsimsusnsimsus Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. My check engine light came on, and then all of a sudden, no power, I also coasted to a stop. Had the vehicle towed to Nissan, where it spent a week there, I was told it was the Throttle Position Sensor. I also had the alternator recall done, and my CD player wouldn't work, it kept reading Check Disc. SO after a week, with NO loaner car, I got my car back yesterday, and the check engine light came on again, then it started idleing over 1, and you could feel it missing or something when I drove it. Like it would sputter or jump or something. When I would hit the breaks, it would slow down, then all of a sudden right before the stop, the RPMs would jump up over 1, then back down. I brought it in this a.m., and was told they were checking it, and that one of the cylinders was miss fireing. But I still don't have my car back yet, so what I am wondering, is what was wrong with your car, because it sound like the same thing as mine.
  • Options
    lstpierlstpier Member Posts: 1
    Anyone?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know how helpful this will be but you may want to take a look at How to Improve FM Reception.

tidester, host
  • Options
    kkuhlkkuhl Member Posts: 1
    I had sudden loss of power too for the third time now. Have had the throttle assembly replaced and accelerator recall done. It was towed to the Exton dealer. This is the 3rd time. The first time it wasn't diagnosed and the 2nd time they did replace the throttle and accelerator which took two weeks waiting for the part. Am really getting frustrated. I don't know what else they can do. I really like the car but now feel as though I can't trust it to take it for long distances. Has anyone else encountered this problem after the throttle assembly and accelerator were replaced.