Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    wildhare927wildhare927 Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 04 Murano and love it. Only one thing confuses me at this point: why won't trip, fuel econ, trip or maintenance displays stay on. They turn off after several seconds (maybe 30 sec?). Audio, temp, time and HVAC all stay on.

Anyway, do I just need to deal with this or is there something wrong? Maybe it's something I can change a setting on? Can't find it in the manual if that's the case.

Thanks!
  • Options
    timothy22timothy22 Member Posts: 10
    To wilsoniii & others - well I've got bad news. After the dealer did the fix - TCM replaced which nissan was 90% sure was the problem - it wasn't. 82 miles into our recent trip to my parents - it did the same thing. It seemed to come out gear
    while I was going 65mph AND WHILE I WAS STARTING TO PASS A CAR - within seconds I pulled over to the side of the road with no power at all. Turned car off and on and it worked fine the rest of the trip - man this is unreal! We are supposed to go on another trip tomorrow (sunday - 2.5 hour drive) we have decided not to take our new murano - heavy traffic would be dangerous. I am so dissappointed. I'll drop it off at the dealers for the 5th time tomorrow before we leave - I know they will find nothing in the codes because it resets and eraser the memory. Not sure would next step will be. I have 1-800-lemonlaw lawyer on standby - just waiting for our ok to file suit. They say we have a good case but I really don't want to do that only as a last resort. I will report this as suggest Wilsoniii. Maybe I'm the only murano owner in the country this has happenen to. Just lucky I guess. I'll keep you posted - Tim.
  • Options
    dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    The 6 disc changer in my 03 Murano had trouble playing CDs that I copied/burned. I've had it since 2/1/03 and now even "store bought" CDs are also skipping, entire music passages drop out while it tries to recover. This happens on smooth roads and while parked. Anyone else having this problem?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    mikecnjmikecnj Member Posts: 2
    We are having a problem with the heat on our Murano SL. We had the factory auto-starter installed when purchased and after running the car for 15 minutes the interior is barely warm. Cars heat never really gets the interior hot. Always have it set on high.
    Also when the fan is on high and directed at the feet there is a sporadic warbling noise. Brought it to the dealer and was told that the heat is working at 100%. Also they did not hear the fan noise.
    PS: Replaced our alternator at 6,000 miles.
  • Options
    mikecnjmikecnj Member Posts: 2
    We have had our SL since April 03. Overall we are happy with it though we have had the following problems:
    1) Locked out numerous times - Dealer replaced harness. (Actually got locked out when we went to pick it up. Salesman said he must have hit the button by accident.....)
    2) Alternator replaced at 6,000 miles. (Dealer said he had not heard of others with problem. (Wish I knew about this board earlier)
    3)Heat inadequate (see my message #212)

The all wheel drive does very well in the snow and the other bells and whistles are nice.
    Currently we have about 9,000 miles and barring any other problems I would give it a high rating though I may think twice about a Nissan for my next purchase. I have had many Hondas and Toyotas over the years and have never had as many problems but I also never bought the first year of a new model. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ric_huric_hu Member Posts: 1
    i dont know about the tcm but maybe this is related in some way .. maybe not
    but unexpected movement and the transmission sounds right up yer alley..

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 03V123000

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)

Details: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE NUT THAT ATTACHES THE TRANSMISSION GEAR SELECTOR SHAFT TO THE CONTROL VALVE LEVER IN THE TRANSMISSION MAY NOT BE ADEQUATELY TIGHTENED. THIS COULD RESULT IN THE TRANSMISSION NOT ACTUALLY BEING IN THE GEAR INDICATED BY THE GEAR SELECTOR LEVER. IN ADDITION, THE TRANSMISSION POSITION DISPLAY IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL MAY NOT BE ON OR MAY BE INCORRECT.

Consequence: IF THE GEAR DISPLAYED IS DIFFERENT FROM THE GEAR ENGAGED, THIS COULD RESULT IN UNEXPECTED VEHICLE MOVEMENT AND A CRASH.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL CHECK THE AFFECTED NUT IN THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER LINKAGE, AND TIGHTEN IT IF NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Units Potentially Affected: 128

Recall Initiated By: MFR
    Date added to NHTSA datbase: 04/02/2003
    MCS Check Date: 5/13/2003
  • Options
    rajeevgrajeevg Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my murano SL from 2003 Feb and have already put 17,000 miles on it. Ever since I had my 15,000 mile service (all from the same dealer who sold me the car), Ive been experincing a strange sound from the engine while accelerating and also decelerating. It feels like that the sound goes away when I am coasting at say 65-70 miles per hour. The sound is very very audible while I am braking or even if I just take my foot from the gas pedal.

The sound is very much like a belt that has gone loose and is very audible and furstrating while driving. To just give you another feel for the sound, its very similar to the sound that you hear from a 6-7 year old van when it starts accelerating.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks.
  • Options
    buchanan3buchanan3 Member Posts: 2
    according to an Edmunds article (6/13/03), the Murano's transmission...

a) "interferes too much" with the vehicle's performance, and

b) has a "confused wind-up" making the Murano feel "sluggish at takeoff".

comments anyone? i'm seriously considering purchasing a Murano, and its CVT is my greatest concern.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I drove my friends 03 SL AWD and didn't like the feeling that you get with the CVT. What I don't like about the CVT is when you let off of the gas it feels like the brake is applied slightly and throws your body forward like when you slightly apply the brake on a regular car. I don't understand why they would slow down a car like this when you just want to back off the gas to maintain your speed.

Again, I didn't care for the feeling and don't know if I could get use to it.
  • Options
    wilsoniiiwilsoniii Member Posts: 19
    I too had concerns about the non-standard CVT, but after much thought I went with it and now I absolutely love it. I only have 200 miles on the Murano, but I can't say that I have anything bad to say about the CVT.

I have not noticed the slight braking feeling reported by just4fun2 when on level ground. What I do notice (and actually like) is the slight holdback when going down a hill. The engine seems to hold back the Murano slightly instead of letting it speed up down the hill forcing me to constantly apply the brakes.

If you haven't test driven the Murano I suggest doing so before making up your mind. The more I drive mine (SE version) the more I like it.
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The Murano CVT has three different computer programs that are selected with the gear shift lever, D, Ds, and L.

The D is the normal Drive position and exhibits the least (almost none) engine braking that you describe. The Ds position is a "sport" position that has slightly more engine braking and the L position has the most engine braking.

My 03 Murano SE AWD has 10,500 miles on it since late July and I too have come to like the engine braking. I think it will significantly enhance the brake life in the Murano and doesn't negatively effect gas mileage either.
  • Options
    dmmakoskidmmakoski Member Posts: 72
    I love the engine braking, it's sort of like a driving a manual.

Yes the CVT get some getting use to, but then you'll never want to drive a conventional automatic again.
  • Options
    bmerchant1bmerchant1 Member Posts: 11
    Have my Murano for a week and just 300 miles on the car at this point. On four different occasions I heard a noise that sounded as if a pebble was thrown up against the wheel well. Each time driving about 10 MPH.
    I've heard some complain of a popping sound but they all seem to indicate windows and sunroof.
    This noise will emanate from the engine compartment. Sounds like up forward??
    There is a TSB on what may be a loose steering bolt that may cause a noise and a quick fix is for the dealer to torque down the bolt.
    Has this happened to anyone? The TSB did not say what kind of noise is heard. Other than this pebble sound in the wheel well that only happened a few times, the car is running problem free.
    Anyone?
  • Options
    To all that have offered suggestion I am grateful. So far the problem has still not been solved. 6 times my new murano has seemed to "come out of gear" while going 65mph - we lost power instantly. I driopped it off again today to the dealer - 6th time. They say they still don't know what the problem is. Their nissan tech. told them to check power unit to ABS and power unit to the transmission and some "grounding" concerns. I think it's a bad transmission or something serious. They will find nothing today I'm sure. I will get the car have to continue to drive it until "It" happens again. I can only drive it on certain road that are safe - no traffic - where I can pull off immediately when I lose power. This is a real nighmare I wish on nobody. Ric_hu thanks for the suggestion but they said that is not the problem. I might have to go the lemon law route soon - the stress on my family is unreal. Thanks for your help - Timothy22.
  • Options
    bmerchant1bmerchant1 Member Posts: 11
    Tim, am I correct to say 3 times in the dealer and no fix should bring the lemon law into play?
    I'm not speaking from experience just my limited understanding of the law. I hate to see you going through this turmoil. I'd pull the plug and get a new car. It really seems like everyone else's car is excellent or maybe just an annoying rattle here or there. You paid too much money to go through this BS.
  • Options
    rglass1rglass1 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to report that this Alternator problem with Murano's is chronic!!!! Mine went at 5000K. Beware if you see the Battery light and the Brake light go on. As I was driving the computer shut my car down to 1 mile an hour all of a sudden in an intersection. As I crept out of a dangerous intesection and pulled over someone side-swiped me hitting my drivers side and exploding my mirror off the side of my car and just kept going.
    4 days to get the Alternaor replaced and 10 days and going to get the mirror in. I don't know who I am more dissappointed in... NISSAN or my lame-A@@ dealer...
  • Options
    anitagk1anitagk1 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up a 2004 Murano SL...Sweet ride, but I have never owned a vehicle with more rattles. because I communte into NYC each day, each one of these rattles is amplified.
    Rattle 1 - Over the rear passenger wheel (inside the vehicle)
    Rattle 2 - Somewhere in in the glove box
    Rattle 3 (and the worst)- Somewhere in the center console / dash /shifter area.
    I have brought the vehicle into the dealer 3 times over the past two months (vehicle is 2 months old)
    They have fixed nothing. I got so tired of the nonsense that I ripped apart the rear of the car to fix the noise over the wheel and in the glove box. Noise over the rear wheel related to the connection of where the rear stabalizer bar bolted into the curved joint over the wheel. I had to undo the bolts and add rubber washers.
    The most annoying noise is now rattle 3. The dealer took apart the whole front console, but the rattle is worse. Has anyone experienced this. I need to get this fixed or I am dumping this thing. Thanks
  • Options
    newmurano1newmurano1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm very sorry to hear about all the troubles your having...I own a 04 SE loaded and already have over 4500 miles on this thing been to Fla from Ma..still not one rattle or noise... I am more than pleased with the quite ride ( my old 2003 Maxima didn't ride this quite or did it do so well at the gas pump )you should tell the dealer where it came from that your going to take a loaner free of charge and leave your Murano there and don't call you to pick it up until it's 100% all set...do remember your under a factory Nissan warranty....I would if I had your problems also contact Nissan directly and see what the factory has to say about these issues...good luck keep us posted.....Joe M( I remember an old saying never buy a Monday or Friday build car )
  • Options
    anitagk1anitagk1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the note. Agree with your comments and will possibly take this back to the dealer and not pick up until fixed, but have been shopping for an X5. Most likely will now dump this thing as if there are rattles at 4,000 miles, then I am frightened to see what happens as 40,000. plus I am now a bit worried about this thing due to all of the other negative feedback about this vehicle. I knew this was a mistake purchasing a Nissan build. I once told myself I would never buy a Nissan again, but did anyhow. You live you learn and its only money.
  • Options
    I have a 2003 Murano, and yea it has a few rattles. The B pillar and the rear window.

But you know, my 2002 Toyota Sienna has much more squeaks and rattles. Factor in that it's a van and they are about equal.

And Toyota is tops in fit and finish.
  • Options
    Hi all - my murano has been at my dealer 4 days now & guess what? Today they were driving it and it did it for them!! They were able to duplicate the problem. The car "came out of gear" at 55mph and they lost power. Their problem was even worse.
    They could not restart the car! They had to have it towed back to the dealer. They now say they have lots of computer codes and are talkling to nissan trying to figure out what's happening. They feel its a power wire or something - their are hundreds in the car - hope they find the right one. Maybe we're getting somewhere? I'll give them awhile longer before I file for lemon law. I'll keep you posted. Timothy22.
  • Options
    twedetwede Member Posts: 2
    I had that happen once. I checked to see if there was any type of lock and noticed that all my doors were locked except the driver's door. I used the button to "unlock" all the doors and then the fuel lid would open. I hope that it wasn't a fluke and I resolved the problem. You might try it.
  • Options
    is absolutely linked to the locked condition of the vehicle.

Lock the Murano, fuel filler door is locked too.

Unlock the Murano, the fuel filler door is unlocked as well.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    works the same on the FX. If all the doors aren't open it won't open.
  • Options
    Hi all - nissan had my car in for 7 days - Today they called and said they "think" they've found the problem - a bad "grounding wire". Wondering if that makes sense to anyone? I told them keep the car and continue to drive it so we know it's fixed. Maybe our nightmare is coming to and end but hard to believe a simple "grounding wire" could cause this problem? Timothy22
  • Options
    rps2700rps2700 Member Posts: 1
    After seeing many posts regarding a "pop" or "tick" type of sound coming from around the driver and passenger side front windows, has anyone gotten resolution by the dealer? My Murano is an 04 SL AWD purchased in early November 2003 with the same problem. As for TSB, alldata.com doesn't have anything regarding said issue. I currently know of one 03 Murano owner in arbitration under a lemon law for Nissan to buy back the vechicle.
  • Options
    TSB reference #NTB03-090 issued by Nissan on 10-1-2003 addresses a "tick noise".

Ask your dealer.
  • Options
    Many have fixed this by putting felt or similar material between the interior plastic and the metal of the door.

Pictures of this fix (and yes it does work!) are on the www.nisanmurano.org site.
  • Options
    Picked up our new murano today - they say they traced the problem to a $4 "grounding wire"! Boy I hope and pray that's all it is. They have driven it for a couple days with no problems. Time will tell - I'll keep you posted - hopefully with good news!! Timothy22
  • Options
    ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    what are they giving you to compensate for all your hassle and more importantly safety issues? tell them you should receive free oil changes for 100K and also a 100K warranty. BOTH paid for by Nissan. Or your next car won't be a Nissan! Just my .02 but you should get at least SOMETHING.
  • Options
    vetpathologistvetpathologist Member Posts: 30
    Before I decide between a Murano and Highlander, I would like to know if owners have experienced any problems with their Murano (03/04) that may be worth mentioning. I have seen post mentioning about the inferior leather, CVT etc. Thanks
  • Options
    Our new murano seems to be working perfectly! We've driven it several hundred miles with no problems! I guess the loss of power came from simply having a bad "ground wire" A $4 part.
    There appears to be nothing wrong with the cvt.To vetpathologist and others on the fence - I would buy the murano - we love it!! Timothy22
  • Options
    furbyfurby Member Posts: 14
    I drove my friend's Highlander before buying the Murano. The Highlander feels top heavy. It's scary around corners. The brakes on the Murano are much better. The first time I drove the Highlander, I thought I was going to rear end the car in front of me because the brakes are so weak. The featues and interior of the Murano are nicer. Just got it last month. No problem yet.
  • Options
    I just returned from a journey over the twisty Santa Cruz mountains to Monterey for the day and had a blast driving my wife's Murano. It only has 640 miles on it and this was the first real test. The Murano handles great, and I learned to really appreciate the navigation system's abilities. The naivigation option is expensive, but now proving to be worthwhile.

If you're on the fence then take one more test drive. I think you'll lean towards the Murano.
  • Options
    Boring is good, get the Highlander.
    I'm NOT boring, I own a Murano!
    I'll have mine one year Feb. 1st, not a single problem or complaint.
    :)
  • Options
    oreokeoreoke Member Posts: 14
    I have 2000 miles on my new '03 and I have NEVER had a vehicle that's such a pleasure to drive. I get oohs and ahs from both lookers and passengers while riding. Love it!
  • Options
    joanljoanl Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had this problem? It happened the morning after I brought my brand new car home and now happens when I start up whenever the car is "cold". A huge obnoxious sound through all the speakers (whether or not the radio is on). It stops after a while, but can be heard for BLOCKS! I hope the dealer can fix this. It's probably blown all my speakers. I can't believe that it didn't do this at the dealer when they drove it /prepped it/ etc. Any ideas?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Perhaps we need to modify one of the Murano comparison discussions to add the Highlander.

While some off-topic banter is normal and tolerated, this board is really about finding solutions to Murano problems.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tspangler4tspangler4 Member Posts: 2
    We were just told by Nissan USA that our less than one year old Nissan's dead engine is not covered by under the maintenance agreement. They're rationale for the blown engine, a missed oil change. We do have high miles on the car, 26,500 but have changed the oil twice since we've had it.

Nissan's position is we missed one oil change and that caused the engine excessive stress.
    For all you Murano lovers, go change your oil now if you haven't done so in a while. For the experts out there, please.... is this really our fault? Missing one oil change, getting no oil indicator lights, no lights at all, are we really at fault to replace the $7,000 engine. We're careful drivers, use cruise control religiously, drive a bit over the speed limit on longer trips but are not popping wheelies and jumping cliffs in this car!

Would love your thoughts on this one. Take care of your cars!
  • Options
    tspangler4tspangler4 Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading some of the postings and realize the mileage on the Murano is nearly the highest listed. As my posting 249 stated Nissan has refused to accept any liability in my engine failure. Something is not right. They ran for the hills. This could be a systemic problem. I would like to hear from anyone who is starting to experience:
    1. Rough starts
    2. Poor acceleration
    3. Oil loss
  • Options
    Are these the warning signs you had? Please let us know what happened to your MO, just before the engine expired.
  • Options
    Yes change your oil and filter every 3K miles or 3 months which EVER comes first.

I've been through all the issue with Toyota engines getting oil sludge and the motors burning up. They also (for a while) would not honor warranties in some cases. Although they did come around to cover everyone.
  • Options
    It depends on what mileage the oil was changed. You have the new oil in a car when you buy it and they changed it twice, that is a total of "3" times the engine had new oil in 26.5K. That could average out to an oil change every 8800 miles, hardly enough to cause total engine failure with only 26.5k on the clock, as long as the engine wasn't low on oil!

Now, the question is, how many miles were put on between oil changes? I would have a difficult time thinking that a vehicle with one of Ward's 10 best engines picks, would fail because of the lack of a couple of oil changes this early on a new engine.

The engine needs to be disassembled to determine if the failure was mechanical or oil related. I am betting on mechanical.
  • Options
    I believe your owners manual clearly states that for normal service the intervals are 7,500-15,000-22,500.

If you followed the schedule for the first two, this would mean you were 4000 miles past your scheduled normal service time or approximately 53% over when the engine blew at 26,500 miles.

If you were on the severe service schedule (based on your driving habits, also in your owners manual) then your way off. The changes should have been at 3750, 7500, etc.

This is going to be a tough fight (IMO) to get Nissan to pick up the blame for what on the surface appears to be neglect of the maintenance schedule published in the owners manual.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    kyim67kyim67 Member Posts: 13
    tspangler4,

1st, Why didn't you take the car in for service when you first experience Rough starts, Poor acceleration and Oil loss?

2nd, Why do people spend 30K+ for a car and can't afford a $25 oil change every 3K boggles me.
  • Options
    nurse6nurse6 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Murano AWD. I love the car and did a lot of research and test driving before I bought it. And I mean up hills & down, around the curves. I do very little city driving so expected the best gas mileage. I was pretty happy when the mileage meter started showing 25.3 mpg. Then at a little over 2000 miles my check engine light came on, in to the dealer I went and was told there was a computer upgrade I needed. Since that time my mileage went down. Like from 25 to 20 mpg. This is on the same roads, and type of driving. I took car back to dealer and was told there was nothing wrong and I was within specs. Anyone have any idea what might have happened?
  • Options
    Sounds more like an oil company sponsored virus to me. ;-)
  • Options
    Have you tried calculating your gas mileage the old-fashioned way, on paper? I would suggest same.
  • Options
    If I don't put fuel in my car and it runs out of gas and strands me somewhere, is it Nissan's fault? I think NOT.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Do you live in the northeast or the midwest? If so you probably get oxgenated gas during the winter. this will drop your mileage 10-15%. It is something most owners have to deal with in the winter and all the time in California.