Options

2013 and earlier Nissan Murano Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    willsgrillwillsgrill Member Posts: 5
    Hi - I just purchased a 2009 Nissan Murano SL (without navigation or leather seats). I got the car for $150 BELOW invoice from a Doylestown area Nissan dealer, through an internet deal. (So we are a little over $27K for the invoice on this trim) From what I am reading, I got a good deal. The deal was available on any trim, I just did not want to go for the more expensive trims. About the car, I could not be happier. I love everything about it, the ride, the luxury looks, the handling, and my gas milegage so far isn't too bad -looks to be about 22 mpg. I may get the moon roof after market. I have looked at other small SUVs (rogue, outlander, RAV4, highlander, VUE). Only the four cylinder VUE would have been cheaper than the Murano, equipped with a power driver seat.
  • Options
    hk52005hk52005 Member Posts: 23
    Would you mind sharing the name of the dealer?
  • Options
    mario668mario668 Member Posts: 2
    I settled on a price for my new '09 LE today. Here are the details.

Blue Saphire w/ beige

MSRP - 38,260

Dual Moon
    Splash Guards
    Cross bars
    Floormats

I have invoice for that car as 34,425, + destination of 745 brings it to 35,170. I'm getting the a car for 34,900 plus tags and tax, so about 270 under invoice.

Prices are clearly coming in with inventory building on the lots. I had to contact a few dealers before I got this price, but most started out with offers near invoice. Shop around, you'll get a good deal, probably even better than this.

On financing. With no promos on the new murano you are stuck with standard rates. I got 4.99 for 60 mo for this one, but I'm putting 15k down.
  • Options
    It was Fred Beans Nissan in Doylestown, PA
  • Options
    nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    I was considering the 09 Murano LE with Nav. until I read that if I get it with Navigation, the 6 CD changer will be only 1 CD instead. Can someone from here confirm this? Thx.
  • Options
    isabelalavalisabelalaval Member Posts: 51
    ... and we finally got our Murano! It wasn't even an arduous ordeal; the sales manager and the F&I guys were actually a real pleasure to work with. They were very professional, up front, and didn't play the "I'll be back, lemme talk to my manager." back and forth game. FYI, we live in the DC Metro area and went with Brown's Arlington Nissan, which was only 2 miles away.

- 2009 Murano SL AWD
    - Platinum Graphite / Black Leather
    - Premium Package
    - Moonroof Package
    - Leather Package
    - Tech Package
    - Navigation Package
    - 3pc floor mats
    - splash guards
    - 2 years complimentary oil changes
    - 2 complimentary car washes
    - Nissan extended warranty (Gold Preferred) for 6 years / 100000 miles
    - was gonna get 6 years of VA inspection, but received a $150 credit instead
    - taxes, tags, titling fees, processing fee, documentation fee, destination charge

The OTD price was $36,842. We were offering at $36K, they wanted $38K. Was a win-win situation for everyone, I believe. We could've taken ownership of the vehicle tonight, but we didn't want the Brown's Arlington Nissan stickers and license plates, we wanted the pinstriping removed, and the vehicle still needed to get detailed. So, just one more day...

... and yes, I will post further reviews. Probably with some squealing involved!
  • Options
    dotty447dotty447 Member Posts: 7
    From nissanusa.com -- Nissan Hard Drive Navigation System with Music Box: "In-dash 6-CD changer is replaced by single-CD player with this package. This package cannot be combined with Nissan DVD Entertainment System." With the hard disk for music, you can store all of your CDs ... or convert them to MP3 and play them from a Compact Flash.
  • Options
    leboundlebound Member Posts: 1
    Anyone from washington/oregon have any buying experiences to pass on.
    East coast prices seem to be much better than here at first check. Looking to do a
    LE buy very soon. :) Like to here about some dealer recommendations.

Thanks for the replys
  • Options
    tazgirl3tazgirl3 Member Posts: 43
    :) Thanks for your post. I figured as much. I just could not see spending $14 for stuff you can get for nothing. I heard that they do give you what the dealer actually paid for the car so maybe thats a help but other than that no. Thanks again, you saved me $$$$
  • Options
    yes, they do. I found that out. My price quote for the 07 was with the rebate but the dealer never mentioned that. The rebate ended 3/3.
  • Options
    stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    Ti figure out the bottom line price and to negotiate the thing that may help is this thread on slickdeals forum.

Look here
  • Options
    jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Rebate info is readily available at numerous sites, including Edmunds!
  • Options
    Wow! I checked site out. I have to read it thoroughly and then make my numbers. I like how bold this person said you should be!!
  • Options
    Yep, they have very helpful info there. I was able to get 2 toyotas following their suggestions for $400 below invoice. In addition internet negotiations really gives you much more options and flexibility. They want to have you at the dealership, but I usually reply that it won't take me long to come over after we set on the price and options.

I am on the market for 09 Murano SL, AWD, Premium in Milwaukee area. If somebody have some info and prices paid I'd be very interested.
  • Options
    I am negotiating with a dealer who does not have the exact car I want in stock. He can get it. Does it cost him additional money to get the vehicle?
  • Options
    As far as I know it should not cost them anything but if you are at the very bottom (Invoice - holdback) they just might not go for it because it will be extra work for dealer to get the car, in addition they'll give up one of their cars.
    So they just won't do this whole work for nothing. However if they are making money anything over invoice you might point that out and tell them that in order to make a sale that will be a requirement to get this car.
  • Options
    Thanks! My offer is $400 below invoice. He countered at $100 below.
  • Options
    clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    At VPP all the dealer is getting is Hold Back. So let's say the MSRP is $30,000, the hold Back is about $900. There's no secret cash Nissan's giving back. So the dealer has to pay the detailers who get it ready for you, pay the service dept.techs who inspect and prepare it for delivery, pay to fill the tank, and then after they do all that, they have to pay the bank because they are on floor plan, which means each month they pay interest on the vehicles on their lot. After you add all that up, the actual gross profit is $900 less all these real costs. The they have to pay the salesperson probably a mini or $100 commission. So when you suddenly say - you have to pay my past car payment of $415, you in my estimation are not reasonable. The $415 is your deal, your debt, not the dealers. If they did pay the $415, they end up not really making that much. Fact is, anyone can get similar to VPP pricing or less if you just ask. Don't forget after all is said and done, there's corporate income taxes on remaining profit, so inasmuch as many of you think the dealers are making a killing, in the scenario I just gave, where's it coming from?
  • Options
    Yes, I can confirm that. I like the six CD changer, and I opted not to get the navigation, since my hubby just bought me a tom- tom anyway, which I can move to my other cars. Another thing - without the navigation, you get nicer dual temp controls (at least from what I can see on the DVD). I'm very happy with the car without nav and without leather seats - still luxurious, but 6-8 K less, depending on the deal you get.
  • Options
    You say that you got a Nissan extended warranty for 6 years, 100,000 miles. My dealership didn't tell me such a thing existed, and instead only offered a 5 year 50,000 mile extension over the three year 36,000 one that comes with the car. Do you think this is a dealership warranty, or is Nissan offering different extended warranties?
  • Options
    dreggmandreggman Member Posts: 4
    Well after driving our 04 Murano around for the past 4 years - we decided to upgrade. Worked out perfect as our lease was up this past Feb. We wound up leasing a LOADED 2009 Murano LE AWD with EVERY option - moonroof, navigation, mats, cross rails, cargo protector, tire flaps, etc. We were really upset that you could not get a DVD player and the navigation system or moonroof. Tried to config online - but selecting overhead DVD greys out BOTH moon (makes sense) and navigation (does not make sense!). The dealer said it had something to do with the wiring. So we added the OEM DVD Players (INVISION) to the back of each headrest. Looks even BETTER to be honest than the factory option. So we literally have EVERYTHING in this car. (DVD NOTE: The DVD players were installed by the dealer and look amazing. Nissan considers INVISION DVD to be a NISSAN "dealer port" option. Only the dealer offers this option and they match the factory specs. INVISION items can ONLY be ordered and installed through the dealership. 3rd party companies and consumers CANNOT buy them and do it yourself. For this reason they are not considered aftermarket and convered under the NISSAN manufacturer warranty as well.)

We got the LE with the Super Black Exterior with Beige Leather Interior. Looks great in this combination. Dark interior looked good in old model - but we thought beige interior looks better in 09s.

Original Sticker was $40,511.00 and DVD Player was $1500.00. Cap Cost Came to $38,200.00. All this in a 42 Month Lease with 12K miles annually - $5,529 down - out of pocket (first payment - the 529-, taxes, titles, tags, etc.) and a Monthly payment of $529.00 I believe the buyout at the end of the lease is $19K and change. For a car with this many options - I believe we got a great deal. I know the DVD Players in the Headrest option was like $1500. I live in Virginia and shopped around at 6 dealers - the best we were offered in VA was $6200 down and $570 a month for the same lease - I took this deal back to the dealer where we originally leased our 04 Murano - Herb Gordon Nissan in MD and they beat it - no games and no hassle - did everything over the phone. I just showed up to pick up my car!! They gave me the model customer experience - twice! They have amazing customer service. I would obivously deal with them again in a hearbeat.

By the way - I have also test driven the Acura, Lexus and Infiniti this year. Thought maybe it was time to leave Nissan. My parents have the lexus and i drove it in Florida for two solid weeks prior to test driving the 09 Murano. I can honestly say - money aside - I felt the 09 Murano drove and felt better than ALL OF THEM. Maybe a personal preference. But even if cost was not a factor - I felt the 09 Murano was the best one. It is a truly amazing car. Just did a road trip up to NYC last weekend and this car was perfect. The bluetooth was awesome for answering calls with no effort, ipod connecter was very cool for listening to our library of tunes and controlling it through the vehicle, the traffic navigation helped us avoid some major tie ups on the beltway, the dvd players were great for keeping the little happy with dora the explorer, the duel moonroofs were great for taking in the views in NYC and overall the roomy seats and great handling made for a wonderful trip!!

I HIGHLY recommend this car.
  • Options
    dotty447dotty447 Member Posts: 7
    Nissan's Security+Plus extended warranty goes up to 7 years / 100,000 miles based on the brochure I am looking at. There are various levels in it. However, I don't see 5 years / 50,000 mile as an option.
  • Options
    promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    It's coming from, financing, extended warranties, serial # etching on window, paint sealant, fabric protector, credit life, and volume incentives from the manufacturer. Then add the used car operation and service dept.
  • Options
    jchowjchow Member Posts: 1
    Brenner Nissan in Mechanicsburg, PA is selling all new nissans for $1 over invoice, even on the 09 Murano. This is an internet special only.
  • Options
    It depends on the dealer. Several of the local dealers will put on wheel locks, clear bra, etc, as soon as they take delivery of the vehicle and not negotiate on those extras which means added profit.

I would personally feel better spending $500 over invoice with a dealer who doesn't resort to such tactics than getting an invoice deal and having to put up with a dealer who does such "added profit" tricks.

It's kind of funny that we obsess over saving an extra $500 on a $30-$40K vehicle but have no problem giving Best Buy $1000 of profit on a $2500 television.
  • Options
    I am between these two vehicles.

Options that are important to me are:
    Leather
    Heated Seats
    Power Back Door
    Backup Camera
    Heated Mirrors
    Push Button Start
    Moonroof
    All wheel drive
    Navigation would be a bonus but not worth extra $$

Anyone have advice? Highlander seems slightly cheaper and slightly bigger. Starting a family and concerned the Murano might prove too small.
  • Options
    techdudetechdude Member Posts: 87
    Let me know what you decide. I'm in the same boat as you, as we are expecting too. My mind says the Highlander is the logical choice for the price and amount of space you get. However, the Murano is much more refined, but sacrifices the space for hauling baby stuff around. Personally, i'm leaning towards the murano because you'll only need the extra cargo space for so long. When the baby outgrows the strollers and other stuff, you'll be stuck with a gas guzzler. That is unless you have more kids.
  • Options
    nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    khristina,
    can you tell me what the price for all the options before the TTL? i'm trying to get the same deal in my area. any information would be greatly appreciated. thx.
  • Options
    09murano09murano Member Posts: 15
    I talked to the Nissan Manager at Fitzgerald in Chambersburg PA, where I got my Murano for $300 over invoice. He said they have a 150% price guarantee and now all their new Muranos are $100 below invoice! This isn't just an internet special, this is on walk-ins or phone calls. $100 under invoice, add tax and tags and you're on the road! A one price store, very easy to do business with. The only place right now selling the Murano for UNDER invoice.
  • Options
    Please refer to Message #1527 for an exact breakdown of the packages and options and 'perks' that comes with this price.

OTD Price = $36842
    Subtract online vehicle registration fee = $10
    Subtract titling tax = $1063.62
    Subtract dealer's license tax = $118.75

Pre-TTL price = $35650.63

BTW, if you are still wavering about buying the new Murano... DON'T! It is by far, the best vehicle for the price and options. We were checking out the Lexus RX, LandRover LR2, BMW X3... and to have the same level of options, you will spend a pretty penny. Really, the Murano rocks! :shades:
  • Options
    It's going to be the Murano for us too. It is def. a sacrifice on space, but it is adequate. And when you compare features apples to apples, the Highlander was nowhere near Murano's price. At least 3k higher, that surprised me.

Now it's between the Murano and the Toyota Venza - it never ends! Don't know if I can wait til Fall...
  • Options
    Can you tell me what your pre-tax sales price was on this vehicle?
  • Options
    I just picked this beauty from the Rosen Nissan dealer here in Milwaukee, WI. I negotiated everything via email, was pretty easy, the very first offer I got was $1200 below MSRP, after that I said to a dealer here is X amount this car cost you and you got to be more serious making me an offer, he responded saying "Ok, what is the price you're willing to pay" I said 28,500 for the car with MSRP of $31,470

09 Murano SL AWD
    Platinum Graphite
    Black Cloth
    Splash Guards
    SL-A Package (Premium package)
    Floor Mats, Carpeted

MSRP: $31,470
    Invoice price: $28,961
    Dealer's holdback: $564
    Negotiated sale price: $28,500.00
    Plate transfer: $93.00
    Service fee: $149.99
    Tax (5.1%): $1,461.15
    OTD Price: $30,204.05

So basically I got it $461 below invoice. Awesome car, decent deal!!!
  • Options
    Is this true? According to this article, Murano requires premium fuel?

For current 09 owners - is 16 mpg all that you're getting?
  • Options
    imeldamksimeldamks Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I went shopping yesterday and realized that there's not much room to haggle on the Murano's here in Louisiana. They only had one at the dealership and it was 33,000 which resulted in an estimated lease payment of 500-550 per month. I'm trying to stay around 400 so I looked at the EX forum and saw that it seems like infiniti is more willing to deal. Any suggestions???? :)
  • Options
    It's not a question of dealing vs. not dealing. It's a question of what the residuals and money factors are on these cars.

You can probably find plenty of dealers who will sell you a Murano for close to invoice. The problem is that Nissan/Infiniti Financing has set a low residual (resale value after x number of years) for the car and will only lease it at a high money factor of .00285 which equates to around 7% interest.

Due to this the payments on the Murano are very high. Nissan does this because it's a "new" car with a lot of features and some buyers will pay the higher amount. As inventory builds Nissan will likely lower the money factor on the car and possibly increase the residual.

It's exactly for these reasons that I've scratched the Murano from my list. I can lease an Acura MDX with the technology package, a $44K car, for less than I can lease a $38K Murano LE for.
  • Options
    buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    after break-in period or 1000 miles, or preferrably, 10K miles you will see the difference
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    If you want to stay about $400/m then look at the Rogue, it might surpise you.
  • Options
    Umm... Message #1552 answers this question.
  • Options
    qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I'm leaning towards the Highlander Limited, which I'm comparing against the Murano LE. I think both are great vehicles and both compete very well against pretty much anything out there in the $30K - $40K price range.

For me, it's come down to:
    - the Murano LE only comes with AWD, which I don't need.
    - the only way to get the upgraded wheels on the Murano is to spring for the LE (it may seem superficial, but after seeing the 20" rims on the LE, the SL's 18" wheels look tiny)
    - none of my dealers have an LE without the moonroof, which I don't want
    - comparing the Murano LE with the Highlander Limited (both equipped the way I want them to be), the Highlander is about $2K cheaper ($3K cheaper if I can't get a Murano LE without the moonroof).
    - I prefer the styling of the Highlander (this one caught me by surprise; I thought the Murano was better looking in all the photos I saw, but I prefer the Highlander's more truck-like appearance in person)
    - resale value of the Highlander is likely to be better than the Murano, at least in my area (Toyota has 25% of the new car market share here, and there is ample demand for used, late-model Toyotas)
    - the Highlander has the third row, which I could use if I had to (would otherwise keep it stowed) and has more cargo room than the Murano

The Murano's interior is nicer than the Highlander's. A good example are the door panels.

The Murano has a thickly padded armrest and padded vinyl surfaces. The panel around the window switches is either real aluminum (S/SL) or fake wood (LE).

The Highlander's armrest is thinly padded, the upper door panel is hard plastic (but very nicely grained so it actually looks like it would be padded), and the window switches (even on the Limited) are surrounded by not-as-nicely grained hard plastic.

I'm probably going to hold off purchasing for another few months to see what the 2009 Pilot actually looks like in person. But, for now, the Highlander has moved to the top of my list.
  • Options
    Nice breakdown. I think the best is if you would test drive both cars. I heard somewhere that Highalnder's "wet diaper handling" turns some people off this car. I haven't driven it myself, but I have 09 SL and its handling is pretty sweet!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and have narrowed it down to these two vehicles. I haven't test driven the Murano but I have the Limited Highlander. Toyota is running a lease deal in my area for the Limited at 419/month on a 36 month term. I'm looking at that deal hard as I'm pretty sure it would be hard to get the same deal on the Murano right now. I can see what people say about the highlander is being a bland drive, but who cares? I wouldn't buy any vehicle in this segment cause it can drive like a sports car. The Murano has the Highlander beat when it comes to the interior though. I've given myself about another 2 or 3 months. Whichever one I can get a better deal on, that's the one i'm pulling the trigger on. My wife is expecting and I could use the cargo space the Higlander offers, but the Murano is more luxurious in my opinion. Good luck in your decision and let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    How much down does Toyota want for that 419/m lease ? Remember, a lease is about not putting any money down on the car exceot for Fee's. In a lease you should be using someone else money to be driving that car not yours.
  • Options
    They're asking 2499 down. I'm not paying that. I haven't begun the wheeling and dealing process yet...i am not looking forward to it.
  • Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    hk - technically, invoice is what dealers pay. they get holdback and any mfgr to dealer incentives after the fact. thing is, that invoice price is the money that's tied up in the floor planning of the vehicle until it sells.

so when they tell you invoice is what they paid, they really aren't lying...its just that they do get some money back down the road is all...

-thene :)
  • Options
    newcarguy5newcarguy5 Member Posts: 14
    My '04 Murano lease is up in April and I was planning on getting the LE Murano '09, but you're right, the deals are nonexistent due to the poor residual and money factor. I really enjoy my Murano and like the new ones even more, but when I got a quote I decided to check out a few others.

If I do get another Murano I have decided I am willing to give up the memory seats, which I will miss, on the LE for an SL. Also, check out the larger turning radius on the LE vs. the SL at autos.msn.com (my Maxima has a similar turning radius and it's the only thing I don't like about the Maxima).

I agree that the MDX has comparable lease deals right now.

Also, the base model of the MDX has everything (including memory seats) except for the backup camera (of course no intelli key). You have to go with the tech package to get it. How vital is that backup camera..any opinions?

By the way, I got a slightly lower money factor than previously mentioned on both Murano trims at .001680 on either 36 or 39 months.

Some other helpful figures:
    residual on SL at 15K/year for 39 months: 51%
    residual on LE at 15K/year for 39 months: 48%
    residual on LE at 15K/for 36 months: 50%
    residual on base MDX at 15K/year for 36 months: 56% (can't remember money factor, but I think it was around 2% APR range equivalent)

The residual is actually lower on the LE than a $2K less expensive SL. That's how lousy the deal is on the LE.

Any feedback on the backup camera is appreciated.
  • Options
    qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I test drove both the Highlander and a Murano, though not back-to-back yet. I've read the comments about the Highlander's softer handling, but didn't really notice it when I drove a Limited. If a slalom course was a part of my daily drive, I suppose it would matter. :)
  • Options
    kslice222kslice222 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 09 Murano from Brenner Nissan in Mechanicsburg and they have been advertising the sale of 09 Murano's for under invoice for the past month and a half before I even bought the car. I know when I went to Apple, Faulkner, and Fitzgerald they weren't willing to work with me. Brenner is definitely the way to go.
  • Options
    I actually like my backup camera on my SL. I am sure that memory seats is a very nice feature if you are sharing this car, if not, it's not really important.
    I read either in CR or MotorTrend that on MDX rear view camera is SLOOOW and that was one of the negative features about MDX.