Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    325driver325driver Member Posts: 7
    Yesterday, I test drove the brand new 2006 Lexus GS300 to see how well it drives compared to my 2004 325i. I know, it really wasn't a fair comparison because the GS is in the same class size as the 5 Series. As such, you would think that the GS easily whipped the 325i but that wasn't the case. Don't get me wrong, the GS is a very competent car--I was impressed with its design, style, and quality build inside and out. Contrary to past complaints about Lexus ride being isolated and soft, the suspension on the new GS is very sporty, i.e. it gave a similar kind of world-class feedback BMW is known for. What it lacked, though, was the meaty and uniform steering in my 325i. Don't know why Lexus (or any other auto manufacturer for that matter) couldn't duplicate this in their cars. Needless to say, after my test drive in the GS, I drove my 325i home with a renewed sense of appreciation for such an awesome driving experience. There is really more to BMWs than just their name. I know I sound like a BMW salesman so I must point out things about BMW that is lacking to be fair and objective. For one, BMW has lost their way a little with their current 5 & 7 Series. I test drove both these cars also and they are not quite as connected as previous versions, nor even my entry-level 325i. Also, BMW likes to charge out the ying yang for items considered standard by Japanese manufacturers (items like fold-down back seat, for instance). But for the sole pleasure of driving, BMW is the best choice for a sedan. The only other car that provides a better driving experience for me was the Porsche Boxster, but that's a subject of another post.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Titanium Silver Metalic/Black Burl wood
    Cold weather Package
    Power Sport Seats
    Steptronic
    Sat prep

Car showed 112 stat, belived to take delivery end of May :)
    DL
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,400
    I manage to get around the New Hampshire countryside
    with an E39 528i equipped w DSC and Blizzak WS-50 snows so I don't think AWD or even FWD is a necessity if you live in a metro area.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Well, if you test drove a 5 series or a 7 series, you would have found the 3 to be a better handler than both. That's just matter of simple physics. A Z4 handles even better; that's why there's such a market segment called roadster.
  • Options
    beemdoubleubeemdoubleu Member Posts: 7
    amt7565,

Yep, ordered it without a test drive. I know thats not very wise but I own a 325i now and have confidence that the 2006 will be even better. I tried test driving an Audi A4 and wasn't impressed at all, I guess I'm just used to the handling and power of a BMW :) I don't think I'll be disappointed :)

Best,
    beemdoubleu
  • Options
    amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    Beem-
    That's cool.
    The only reason I am choosing the 330i over the G35 is because of the handling. If not for that I would gladly buy the G35.

So, I hope the new 3 series also has good handling. I am a bit concernted, because the size has got bigger....would they still provide excellent handling for those tight corners I plan to take?
  • Options
    True, smaller cars handles better by nature but I wasn't talking about the weight but rather the steering. The new 5 & 7 series (especially the 7) steers too light. As I said, the E46 has a very meaty (i.e. harder) steering that inspires confidence. Older BMW's were even more so and because of that, they stay where you point them without floating side to side whenever you go over uneven pavement. This is one of the hallmarks of real sports cars--not just speed alone.

The Lexus GS has gotten around this somewhat by automatically adjusting the front wheel to keep you on your intended path. Pretty impressive but I still prefer the meaty steering of my 3 and of older BMW's.
  • Options
    tominsdtominsd Member Posts: 18
    I picked up the brochure for the 2006 3 series and one thing bothers me: there does not seem to be a temperature gauge in the dash. There is a tach, speedometer, mpg gauge, and fuel gauge but no temp gauge. This is a mistake - an idiot light is insufficient. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    325 driver:

The Lexus GS300 you drove: was it AWD or RWD?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,466
    I went to the New York Auto Show this morning/afternoon and really wasn't that impressed with anything I saw, except a few cars at the BMW & Mercedes-Benz section. There was a beautiful Red/Black Z4 3.0i with Sport Package and a 6 speed that was really nice. All the Z4s I usually see are some sort of grey or silver. I really love the way the E90 looks "in the flesh." They had a 330i Dark Grey Metallic/Black with Sport Package that looked phenomenal (it was up on a podium though). There was a Light Blue/Sand Leather 325iA (no SP) that was open. The sheetmetal flanks are in all the right places. I've got to find a way to get into one of these for ED next summer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    AWD.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Water temperature gauges are going away like floppy disk drives.
    Even the 545 has does't have one, so it wouldn't make sense to add it to the 3-Series.
  • Options
    Although I haven't seen the E90 in the flesh, from what I've seen in magazines, it looked pretty good. I read, though, that some interior materials are a little cheap looking. The dash design with all the doo-dads looked sharp enough but without the Nav screen and wood trim, I think it would look a little plain. This is where Lexus and Acura beat BMW; in my opinion, Japanese automakers do have more esthetically pleasing interior designs, although they lack a classic look evident in European cars. The new GS interior is absolutely beautiful, though. I often wonder what the interior of flying saucers look like (assuming they really do exist); I bet the Lexus GS interior look more modern!
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm not a fan of these interiors at all. To me less is more. BMW has the interior thing down. The interior of my E46 is about the best and most functional I have ever been in.
  • Options
    beemdoubleubeemdoubleu Member Posts: 7
    amt7565,

I don't see why not :) the wheel base has also increased so it should compensate for the overall increase in size. Besides, I haven't driven a 3 series that hasn't handled well in the turns, I can't see BMW changing the excellent handling properties of their cars, especially the 3 series which is their flagship cars :)

Best,
    beemdoubleu
  • Options
    justconvincedjustconvinced Member Posts: 28
    Hello all,

This is the first time I've posted, but I am an avid reader of this forum. Don't have a bimmer yet, but I am looking to lease one later on this year. In all honesty, I don't care about the back seat since I am single with no kids and don't plan on playing chauffeur...

The purists will cringe, but I will be looking at an automatic. I drive in NYC to work everyday, and the idea of continual shifting as it takes me 20 minutes to go three blocks holds no appeal.

Went to the NYIAS on Friday. The new 3 looks great from the outside, but as some knuckleheads were slashing car interiors BMW had the cars locked. I am headed to Philly for the 3 Across America event on Wednesday (No CCA membership number, so NY wouldn't let me in), so I will get to see it then.

As I am looking to lease, it would be nice to know the money factors that people are getting on the E90. If that is not appropriate for this forum, please feel free to email me. Also those who have done business in the NY Tri-state area, please feel free to let me know the experiences you've had with specific dealers (ie, where not to go).

btw, For those who were searching for compatible bluetooth phones, here is the list from BMW USA: http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth/Compatible_Phones.htm

thanks for reading this long post,
    jC
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Hey justconvinced, welcome to the Forums! Glad you decided to make the leap into posting :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Well, I left home this AM at something like 7:15 to get to the Boston area 3-Across America event by 9:00. Unfortunately, due to the torrential rains that we are having, I didn't even get to the Braintree area until just after 9:30. :-( As if that wasn't bad enough, the Yahoo! driving directions that I printed out was so convoluted (coupled with nearly indecipherable/non-existent road signage) that after over a half of an hour, I gave up and drove home. :-(^2 Total trip was over 140 miles, and the only 3-Series that I saw was a silver E46 325i that passed me as I was getting off I-93 the first time. Grrrr!

Well, good things come to those who wait. I guess I'll just have to schedule a test drive in May when the cars are released.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Shipo

noooooooooooooooooooooo..............
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,702
    The car is gone less than a week... and already, you've lost your sense of direction...

Now, what am I going to do?

div2... Did you ever find out exactly what you are scheduled for in Cleveland?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Interesting, I just asked for driving directions from Mapquest, and guess what, completely different directions, so much so that Mapquest uses an exit off of I-93 that is the second exit (and at least a couple of miles) past the one that Yahoo! had me use. I have often compared the two because I have found them to differ at times (including one time where they were both wrong), however, this morning I was wanting to get on the road as quick as possible, so I didn't take the time to get the Mapquest directions.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    chillnycchillnyc Member Posts: 20
    I'm also new to the forums and I too have been reading this thread and I'm quite disappointed to hear that you were not able to test drive the new E90. I was really looking forward to hearing your opinion on the vehicle to further cement my decision in purchasing this vehicle.

Regards,
    chillnyc
  • Options
    mikey747mikey747 Member Posts: 1
    The 330i has a $4200 dealer incentive. I leased one with an MSPR of 38K for $389 + tax per month for 3yr. with 10K per year mileage with no down payment, just first payment and $495.00 acq. fee. If I go over the mileage BMW financial allows you to purchase miles ahead of time at a discounted rate up to 8 months prior to the end of your lease...Great car with a great deal.
  • Options
    MIkey-
    That's a great lease. Where did you lease it from?
    For a 330i that's ar eally good deal.
  • Options
    bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    Shipo,

For future reference, I've found Mapquest to give more accurate directions than Yahoo. I've gotten lost several times thanks to that confounded thing, so I made the jump to Mapquest (sounds like an infomercial doesn't it).

I digress . . . I'm disappointed to hear you couldn't make the journey and relay your experience. I just got my invitation for the 3 Across Country, but it's in Greensboro on a Sunday night (I reside in Charlotte). Don't think my boss would take too kindly of me taking off Monday just so I can recoup from test driving a car. She clearly doesn't have her priorities in order. Guess I'll have to wait for the showroom arrival.

Luke
  • Options
    The digression continues...

Funny thing, for me at least, when they've been wrong, I've found that it's about 50/50 as to which is wrong. One time, I tried locating a birthday party for one of my kids, and since I kind of wanted to show up in style in my (then) brand new BMW I made sure to get directions before I headed out, only to have MapQuest point me to a road that ended at the sheer face of a cliff. The gymnastics center that I was headed for was actually about a mile behind me. We did eventually get there when I did a very un-masculine thing and stopped for directions. Of course, I stopped and asked directions today too, only to have the folks (those who spoke English) at three different gas stations say, "Wood Avenue? Hmmm, never heard of it."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Justconvinced,

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you've decided to get a Bimmer--you're going to be amazed with its performance.

I cringe, though, not because you're looking to get an automatic but because you wanted to lease. From a long term financial standpoint, leasing is almost never good. Take it from me, I've leased all cars I ever had since I began driving, bar my current '04 325i. The problem is mileage. Most lease terms only allow 12K-15K miles a year and unless you live very close to your workplace, it's not possible to keep within these limits. As a result, you're very likely go over the limit and pay dearly at the end of the lease. Even if you're allowed to buy more mileage, it still cost you more to lease in the long run.

I know, being young and single, you want the car and you want it NOW! But having experienced leasing 3 cars over 15 years, I finally figured out that for the amount of money I used to lease those cars, I could've bought an $80K Porsche and keep it forever if I wanted. The key is to save your money, figure out a way to make it grow, then buy. Heck, I could've used that $80K to invest during the dot.com boom and could be driving a Ferrari right now!

It took me 15 years to figure this out and yes, you can have it all but leasing is not a good way to do it.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Find the notion of buying outright is bad if you can get a decent interest rate. any rate under 4%, I'm in favor of doing the old loan and spending the cash on a property or investments that will make money.

If I'd bought my 330i in 03 I'd be down 15k already (40k negotiated price, 10% ttl). Instead I leased and bought an extra house - up 150+k in that same time. I like that.
  • Options
    fishtookfishtook Member Posts: 17
    For those of you that was at the NY Auto Show (or any of the major one's this year)this past weekend, my thought is Lexus may finally be the one to put up a real fight(I don't consider A4 as serious contender)

It's a great looking car...according to Lexus: 300HP, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds with Automatic.
  • Options
    Don't let NYC traffic send you the way of the slushbox. Where outside the city do you live and where do you commute to? I lived in the city and reversed commuted to The Bronx for 3 years with a stick and now commute from Westchester to The Bronx with a stick. Just don't ride up people's rear end, lag back about 2 car lengths in 2nd gear, and you'll be fine. I drive all over the tri-state area and sit in TONS of traffic. My wife is from Long Island (her entire family is still there), my best friend live in Connecticut off I-95. The time I spend in traffic is not so bad when I consider the time I don't sit in traffic and how mich fun I have driving (like on Saturday at 7:00AM on my way to work).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    "...my thought is Lexus may finally be the one to put up a real fight..."

I'm thinking not as I consider a car that is only offered with an automatic transmission a "Poseur" car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    liberconlibercon Member Posts: 5
    I am also new to the forum, but have spent many enjoyable hrs. watching in on the excellent posts. Hope this is an approporiate forum for this. I haven't seen anything specifically comparing awds. I am moving up to NY Area shortly with my gf for work. She will be commuting out to Whiteplains from Hoboken daily. Figure this is a 2way 2 hr drive total. She wants a car she will enjoy driving and is specifically interested in the '06 325ix. Unfortunately she dosen't drive manual. Any opinions on the merits of BMW awd offering vs. a4 quattro vs. g35x.
  • Options
    I drove all 3 of those vehicles. But I ruled out the Quattro. It's not to my liking, but you might like it.

Only reason I am interested in the BMW instead of the G35 is the handling. If not, I would gladly get the G35 which is superior in many other aspects of the vehicles. The G35 has a superb acceleration and has a smoother drive than the BMW. It's also more spacious and more comfortable with built in 6-CD changer. Also, I found that the G35 sedan was much more responsive than the coup.

But the BMW is more fun to drive. You should try taking those tight corners....

If a woman is deciding between the 2, it might be a challenge. Not sure if they are as aggressive as the males in driving. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hoboken to White Plains? Gaack! While we were waiting for our house to be built I commuted from Jersey City (one town south of Hoboken) to Elmsford (one town west of White Plains), and if there is a thankless commute in the NYC area (other than into Manhattan that is), this is it. Yuk!

As for the need for AWD, I'm going to need to ask the question again; why? In reality there is nothing about that commute that requires AWD. Suggestion, get a 325i and a set of snow tires, save yourself some money and have a better driving and more capable car year round.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Dude, we don't need to be spammed by your dream car drivel, and fortunately the Membership Agreement you agreed to to get in here prohibits such activities. Please go elsewhere with your spamming.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I agree with Shipo. I live in Hartsdale (the bottom of the driveway of my condo complex is WHite Plains) which is the next town over from White Plains. They Plow the roads here really well. If she crosses the GW bridge, goes North on I-87 (Major Deegan Expressway), and then takes I-287 (Cross Westchester Expressway) East she has nothing to worry about. The Thruway Authority starts salting and plowing at the smell of a snowstorm. This winter was considered "bad" and I think it snowed maybe 5 times. Get a good set of snow tires/winter wheels. That is a crummy commute. May I ask why she'll be living in Hoboken and commuting to White Plains?

• Options
    nycarguy and shippo...thanks for the headsup on no need for awd for hoboken to w/plains. To answer the q on why hoboken to whiteplains...I will be working in downtown manhattan at one of your generic out of grad sch. finance/banking positions 80+ work week hrs at one of the larger i-banks...she on the other hand has a great opportunity at a corporation with a campus in whiteplains. We thought it would make sense to save some taxes on both our incomes in jersey...but I would definitely be willing to listen to some advice on the pros/cons of being in hoboken vs. somewhere in manhattan...any comments would be appreciated (I realize this is somewhat of a digression but I may as well take the opportunity...)But the 325i vs xi comments are appreciated though
  • Options
    Other than the nominal E90 related content, this thread is way too off-topic to continue here. If you PM me (my E-Mail address is available via my profile), I'd be happy to make a few suggestions.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Good for you! I did the same thing.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    If you'd stayed in TX, y'all could've rode the wagon to Southfork on the 11th. Sorry, you went through so much pain-I was looking forward to your input.
  • Options
    Smart move, blueguydotcom. But how many young people do you think will put that money on an extra house? I certainly didn't. Often times, they lease because they couldn't buy such a costly car in the first place (they haven't worked long enough to earn enough cash for that down payment). So, instead of waiting until they save enough for the down payment (on the car or the house), they lock themselves into a costly lease.

If I was smart like you, I could've owned more than one house AND maybe own an $50K - $80K car now. But then you couldn't convince me of this when I was in my early 20's--I knew everything then!

I now finance my '04 325i ($36K) at--would you believe--2.9%! I got this from Chase due largely to my high credit score (800ish). Yes, I also bought a house, or rather, I bought the house first, then the car.

Another trick to getting a good deal on a car if you live in the snowbelt is to go buy a car (especially a performance car, not SUV) during the coldest months of the year (late January or February). If you live in Northen Chicago you know that during these coldest months, no one goes outside--especially to buy a sporty car. I got my 325i in late January '04 when it was snowing. The sales lady was very attentive to my requests--she's the one that got me the 2.9% rate...and I thought 3.9 or so was good until my wife said lets have fun and see how low we could push them.

So, strictly from a financial standpoint, you could probably get a very good deal on the E46 now because the E90 is coming out and the dealers want to clear their inventories of E46 to make room for the E90.

Again, you CAN have your cake and eat it too but do it smartly.
  • Options
    selmselm Member Posts: 122
    Lets face it, cars (esp BMW) are an emotional purchase not a financial one. I am in my early 20s and have been hit very hard with repair bills and am sick of variable expenses. My next car (e90) will be a lease so I can have a predictable fixed monthly expense and take the difference between the lease and buy payment and invest it every month. I figure if I can find a return that is greater than the cost of financing, then it will be more beneficial for me to lease - plus I get a new car every 3 years.
  • Options
    That is the emotional part..

I'm right there with you, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I just went through a snowier-than-usual winter in Detroit with a '04 325i with the standard all-season tires and had no problems at all. In fact, I was fairly impressed with how well it did (I had been worried since giving up my Quattro A4). Chicago has about the same weather and is at least as flat, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    justconvincedjustconvinced Member Posts: 28
    nyccarguy, I live in the Bronx and commute to midtown (Cross Bronx to Westside highway). There is such a thing as two car lengths? ;-) Several years ago I drove my mom's stick a few times during rush hour and it was not an experience I am gung ho to repeat (btw, the constant shifting gave her back problems and she swapped it out for the slushbox). She's since moved to Texas where it doesn't matter....

On another note, not going to Philly tomorrow. Turns out my event was a view only and it's just not worth it when I can walk to the NY show from here.
  • Options
    I just don't get this. You use one foot to brake. Using a second foot to do the clutch, how is this really more strenuous? It isn't. Start in second and there's no way you'll have to shift again until you reach 30-40-50-60.

In a bmw stop and go is really easy.
  • Options
    I figure that my E90 325i p.a. mileage would be on the order of 20K miles a year min. What's is the additional cost to a lease deal at this level of mileage and does it then make sense to look at financing as a more viable option? I am going to be sharing the car so I can prob put together a decent down pmt.
  • Options
    NEVER put a down payment on a lease. A lease is simply renting the use of the car. You're paying for what you will use. If you put money down on a lease it's gone for good. Better to save the money and pay a high monthly payment.

Furthermore, leasing 20k miles a year is expensive as you will have used up most of the car (in the lending company's eyes) by the end of the 3 year period.

Financing would make more sense. Honestly, buying a new near luxury car and then putting 20k miles a year on it is gonna kill the car's value real quick. For example, my 43k msrp 03 330i with 24,000 miles is now worth about 28k if I sold it to a normal person. That's $15k in depreciation in 2 years! With low to average miles too.

You might want to consider a CPO 325i like an 04 or 03. That gets the long term warranty on the engine and such and someone else will have paid for most of the depreciation.
  • Options
    Will the new E90 offer the new x drive technology or the old xi? I understand that the BMW's new x drive technology's back to front axle ratio is variable with a default of 100% rear in ideal driving conditions. This can go up to 100% front if need be with all the combinations in btwn. The argument here is that this makes for a true rwd drving experience in fine weather but will adjust accordingly to less than perfect road conditions. The old xi technology is a permanent 38%/52% front/rear awd ratio.
  • Options
    I agree... If you are driving 20K/year, you will be better off financing a new car, or buying a CPO unit with over 3 years and 60K left on the warranty...

There may be other cars where the penalty or monthly charges are lower for the extra miles (Honda comes to mind), but it will be costly with a BMW.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.