Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Navigation GPS Systems

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's also a lower cost option, since you already have the screen.

The days of $2200 Navi systems are numbered.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I hope you are right. The sad part is ones like I have will go the way of Analog Onstar with no way to upgrade. Have you tried to find online support for a Toyota. I cannot find any Toyota sites listing my NAV update DVDs.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I cannot find any Toyota sites listing my NAV update DVDs.

That's because they are made specfically for Toyota. The NAV map makers have contracts with the auto makers that they won't sell the software to anyone else.
  • Options
    I cannot find it on a Toyota site. Or are you saying I have to go to a Toyota dealer to get the DVD?
  • Options
    Just talked to the parts guy at Toyota. He claims the DVD I have in my 2007 Sequoia is the newest version for the vehicle. Replacement price now is $239. Mine has a 2005 copyright date. I feel like the Onstar people left out in the cold. It has very poor POI & poor routing. Pretty much useless except to tell me where I am, which most times I know. I tried finding a meat market that is about 30 miles North of us a few weeks ago. They have been in the same location for 27 years, and it is not listed nor is the main street it is on going through Escondido. I used my Magellan no problem on my second attempt to find the place.
  • Options
    I wonder who they source maps from? There are usually ways to correct mistakes. I've entered corrections for both Garmin (Navteq) and Magellan (I forget who, but they use the same map data as Tom Tom).
  • Options
    I have gone onto the Navteq website and corrected a couple errors. Just don't do much good on my 6 year old data base in the vehicle. I think most smartphone GPS use Google maps. That may obsolete the other map people.
  • Options
    Nowadays the portables have gotten a LOT better.

It used to be updates once a year or so, even 18 months. But now it's quarterly.

I've noticed a few road changes lately have been showing up with the next update, i.e. no more than those 3 months. Randolph parkway and the mixing bowl in NoVA are all in the latest maps for both my Garmin and Magellan.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I updated my Garvin Nuvi a month ago and the POIs have been pitiful up here in Newfoundland. Can't find a lot of small towns either. Rather disappointed, especially since it did well in Puerto Rico.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,354
    How is that drive to Puerto Rico? :blush:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Circumnavigated the island quite nicely and didn't even get the tires wet. ;)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I tried looking for "attractions" on my Droid + Google maps and it came up with lots of suggestions. Get rid of that thing, Steve. :P
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Next time I get lost I'll call you.

Except my pre-paid cell doesn't work in Canada either. :P
  • Options
    I would imagine the Droid and google maps would fail you most everywhere up there. Hope you got AAA maps before you left home. We made the mistake of depending on our Sequoia GPS, never again. Have backup maps.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    "Your destination is on the right...and the left...and on top" --LOL!
  • Options
    Hertz never lost, I love it. :sick:
  • Options
    I'd love to see how it would route me to Puerto Rico! :D
  • Options
    Since I like bike paths and clean air and CAFE standards, I'll never join the lobbying group at AAA.

We hit every state/provincial visitor center for free maps (expect Quebec charges $4 for theirs). Free wifi usually too.
  • Options
    FREE is my favorite. I don't think any roadside service can compare to AAA. I like their travel books for hotels, restaurants, etc.

I would expect a company that depends on the auto industry for survival to be pro automobile.

Hope you are having a wonderful time. Never been up there or even close. I did hit Toronto once in the 1970s when my folks thought they would like to be Canadians. That lasted all of 6 months. When they realized how high the taxes were.
  • Options
    On-line reviews for hotels are usually useful. Just make sure they have more than 10 or so, because I suspect ballot stuffing (i.e. they place some favorable reviews in there themselves).
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,354
    I find TripAdvisor a good place for reviews.... lots of volume, and not many shills..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    We've had good luck with them too. Of course, we're professionals, and can spot the shill posts a mile away. ;)
  • Options
    My Magellan RoadMate actually has AAA incorporated, if you're a member (I'm not). I have not explored it, but I imagine you'd get a lot more info about the POIs with that feature.

For me that's overkill, I think. I just want to know what's there. The Exit POI feature is nice ... it doesn't send you off track during a long road trip, showing only the POIs near your next exit.
  • Options
    We are AAA members, I will have to try that on my Magellan. I saw it pop up. Probably have to put in a number or something. How would that work with one way communications?
  • Options
    I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure. Maybe you have to download AAA information by hooking it up to a computer? I think it would be stored information, not "live".

They need to get to a point where an App on your smart phone sends live info.
  • Options
    I bought a AC adapter for my Magellan. I am playing with it now. And I think it is just AAA rated restaurants etc that are in the database. I may have to download the latest from Magellan for $49.95 to get recent addresses. I thought you could add missing streets etc?
  • Options
    Maps may be a separate database, I guess. Not sure.

Mine has the lifetime map updates, and I did upgrade to map v43 recently.

AC adaptor is useful because it does not charge with the provided PC-USB cable, and you have to have a full battery before you start a map update.
  • Options
    My battery never lasted more than 10 minutes without being plugged into the vehicle. I got the OEM AC charger on Amazon for $12. Sure makes it nice loading addresses etc. I get good GPS signals sitting at my desk.
  • Options
    Battery life is weak, though they claim "30 minutes". Maybe with a dim screen that isn't moving much.

Though let's give them credit - not only is it the biggest screen in the market, it's also HD, and has excellent resolution (WVGA).

I'm still learning my way around the interface. Ever come across a crash course that shows you how to use it? Maybe on YouTube or something?
  • Options
    “The main factor is the general cost of integrating the navigation system with the rest of the infotainment unit and the vehicle controls. A portable navigation device can be cheaper because it’s a standalone unit. The [onboard] nav system needs to be integrated with the steering wheel controls… and any other connected services.”

Car navigation is a ripoff. Here’s why (extremetech.com)
  • Options
    They are a RIP-OFF for sure. We used the Magellan hardly looked at the built-in NAV on our trip. Last I checked with Toyota there are no new DVDs updates for the 2007 Sequoia. Probably quit making that model NAV and so no new maps. Like a white elephant. Not to mention the CD player is flaky. Same as the old one that got replaced. Toyota uses inferior made in India electronics. That is where the replacement NAV came from.
  • Options
    The real reason is greed. Automakers are adding features that noone asked for, and everyone already has on their smart phones. The chunky packages cost $2000, but a good Navi could cost half of that.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I do appreciate those packages that include much more, though. I mean, we love the system in the wife's van. Navigation is just part of it. It also has a hard drive, satellite radio, and DVD player all built in. Coupled with the dual DVD screens in the rear and extra DVD player, it is a complete entertainment package. I have NO IDEA what it all cost new, though, since we bought used. I'd guess probably in the $3k range ($2k infotainment and $1k DVD??).

Just looked up a new T&C and it looks like they are coming with the touchscreen standard, then you pay $695 to upgrade to a Navi-based unit and another $2k for the rear DVD screens.

So, still, even at $2700, I would have a hard time installing all of that and having it all work together seamlessly the way it does. Believe me, I've tried!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    The manufacturers could go a long way toward easing the pain by lowering the entry fee a bit and making updates cheap or free.

An update that costs more than a new Garmin is hard to justify.
  • Options

At least Toyota dropped the price from $499 down to $299 for a new NAV DVD. Only problem, it is the same 2005 issue that is in my 2007 Sequoia. The automakers do not seem interested in after sale consumer happiness.
  • Options
    Yeah, if you indeed WANT all that stuff, then the package deals are worth it.

I sorta went a-la-carte and got just what I wanted.

7" GPS: $270 (I paid $65 out of pocket after using rewards)
    Backup cam: $135
    12" RES: $900

The DVD was professionally installed for that price, the Navi/Backup cam I did myself. $1300 total for what I consider the essentials, and that DVD screen is way bigger than OEM (12" vs. 7" at the time).

I would price the OEM system but I can't even do that, because Navi and RES were not offered on my LE. I paid $25 something OTD, and an XLE with Navi/RES at the time was $33k plus tax.

So $9 grand +, and while that includes some extras I would have lost the 8th seat.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

hell, I haven't updated even our portable Nav in the 3 years we've had it.

I don't even know HOW to update the Chrysler's nav.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Traffic patterns in the DC area have changed a lot - Montrose Parkway and the NoVA mixing bowl are 2 biggies recently. The ICC will come on-line soon but neither Garmin nor Magellan shows it yet. Only 1/3rd of it is open anyway.

They're re-doing Tysons now, too.

You may need to shop for updates soon if your area is going through similar changes.
  • Options
    I bought the new update for my Magellan just before I left on vacation. It does not have a new section of freeway that is over a year old. It still does not have my daughter's street in Indiana that is over 2 years old. I called and complained. They said too bad so sad. After getting through to a supervisor they offered me 10% discount on the next $50 upgrade. So I called AMEX and cancelled the charge. Let Magellan fight it out with Costco and AMEX. We ran into routing errors in CA, OR and WA on the trip with the Magellan. We are having a hard time giving up our AAA maps.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    The idea I like is a docking space in the dash where a standard sized portable would snugly fit and look built in, one from any maker, and it could recharge and be used there. This could be sold and would probably have a decent take rate while costing nothing - huge profit.
  • Options
    I was thinking that a car manufacturer could be wise to actually engineer their vehicles to be plug n' play. Meaning every car is wired exactly the same way and all stereos, navs, DVDs, satellite radios, cameras, etc are installed at the dealer to the buyer's specifications. Would save a ton on manufacturing costs, while eroding none of the profits (because they'd still profit from all the plug-in units sold to the dealers). Seems fairly simple to me ... but I'm not an engineer.

• Options
    Exactly. It seems to me the plug in docks etc would cost almost nothing, but could be sold for hundreds. These would be opted for on the majority of cars sold, whereas navi etc still must have a minority take rate when offered. Sell 5 objects at 2000 apiece or 50 at 300 apiece, the latter seems smarter to me - but I don't kiss the right areas to make myself an executive decision maker :shades:
  • Options
    Garmin has a link, lemme find it, here:

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

Magellan has a similar one. They use different map suppliers, and it can take a while (usually months) for it to show up.

Still, compare to OEM - that could take years!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Double-DIN stereos are slowly going away. I think OEMs want that money, it's a cash cow for them.

I get that they want that space for the OEM radio and HVAC, but perhaps it's time for a dash top opening of a standard size, so that aftermarket companies could sell docks that pop in. Make room for, say, a standard 7" tablet.

I'm dreaming, that will never happen.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a dream of mine too. I have to wonder how much that cash cow the proprietary idea is making compared to what selling universal mounts could make - and if such profit comparisons have ever been made at a corporate level.
  • Options
    I'm sure they have. If making a universal mount would make more money, they'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Well, if it would generate heavy short term profits, anyway. That's all our corporate elite can see.
  • Options
    Only if they could actually charge for the little module.

If it were an option priced at only $50, they'd have to have a much greater take rate than on the built in NAV to recoup the investment.
  • Options
    I think they could make the docking station compatible with just more than navs - make it so tablets and mp3 players and anything else similar can attach, and can attach securely and look neat (my main gripe about portable nav - it looks messy). If it worked for all this, it could be offered at a lot more than $50.