Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW X3

Comments

• Options
    tdonotdono Member Posts: 24
    Yor are right. I took another Look. The side markers do flash. However, when you lock the SAV the alarm makes no noise indication. Just when you open the SAV. Anyway, I have no problems with the keyless entry. You might want to check the key charging. If you use the main key alot and not the other one? It can need recharging. "I beat you did not know that the ignition charges the Key"..... To all having the Keyless Entry problem.....
  • Options
    yanezdavidyanezdavid Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced the same problem and I have been able to reproduce it 50% of the times at varying speeds over 80 miles per hour and with different weather/wind conditions. I have contacted the manufacturer of the panorama roof system Inalfa in Holand and they replied promptly recomending to adjust the glass position. I am scheduled with my dealer on Monday and I am hoping the can fix this annoying problem. Did you have any luck with yours? Any advice? I am contacting the BMW plant as well to find out more information. By the way I also have the creaking noise and it will vary intensity depending on temperature and humidity. let's see how far I get.
  • Options
    alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    The X3 seems to really show its worth on the highway on extended driving trips. The ride is so different than in the city. I think my car is a bit rough around town - but on the open highway, wow. I didn't hear passing semi-trucks, little if any road noise and the ride was just incredibly smooth. For a few seconds I heard what could be described as a musical tone - I thought it was coming from my iPod or air vent. It was only heard for a few seconds when I reached speeds over 85 mpg. I never heard it again. At the time though the outside temperature was 105 degrees so perhaps it was the panoramic roof whine? I'm not even mentioning it to the dealer unless I hear it again.
  • Options
    For all you X3 owners. My report card on this vehicle is a "A". After 1800 Miles; I have noticed that the SAV rides smother now! "It was harsh when brand new". With time the suspension is breaking in. Also the 2.5 L motor cruises 80 to 100 MPH with no problem. No door rattles. No sun roof noise. The SAV is nimble and comfortable. Recommend: Not to go for all the options. Just get what you need. Save money. Cheers to BMW. Great SAV....
  • Options
    m5x3m5x3 Member Posts: 23
    I picked up my X3 from Classic BMW in Richardson in early February. I decided I needed the alarm in March. From what I could tell, they installed it for the price of the parts. There was a lot of alarm installation message traffic back then and I think Classic gave me a better deal than anything I have read about.
  • Options
    jamesw7jamesw7 Member Posts: 23
    Well, I drove my X3 3.0 for about 3400 miles now. I agree that it is rough driving around town. The suspension is quite stiff. However, on highway, it is just a sweet heart. The engine, handling, maneuverability, acceleration and all are very good. I do have some minor workmanship problems 1. The BMW Assist does not work and it takes 3 days for the dealer to fix; 2. The cloth in between seams came out. Other than that, I don't see any other quality problem, not yet anyway. I score my car a B.
  • Options
    juddlaw1juddlaw1 Member Posts: 9
    I spent over 45K on my fully loaded 3.0 X3, and have experienced the "ultimate machine" for 2K mile. So far I have creaking in windows (over minor bumps) that will not go away and my panorama roof sounds like the thing is going to shatter when I have it fully opened and driving over 60. Handling is incredible and quick too. Options are nice and seating is a little firm, but I can go "any place, any where, any time" - unfortunately - just with alot of noise.
  • Options
    I did not know there was any cloth in the X3? Where is this cloth defect exactly?
  • Options
    Try cleaning your rubber seals around the door. They may be stickey. Take your X3 inn for your Panaroma window be adjusted. However, if you are driving above 60 with the window all the way extended. "I can see why you have noise". To bad you payed so much for a loaded BMW and only give it a 'C' grade. Alot of cash for a 'C'..... Bummer for you...
  • Options
    jimbob533jimbob533 Member Posts: 17
    jamesw7

I have leather seats in my X3. The seatback of the back seat - where the center armrest is located has a flaw, too. The unfinished material attached to the leather sticks out at the seam and is visible when the armrest is not in use. Is that the same place you noticed your problem?

juddlaw1

If you crack your back window slightly, that might eliminate the shudder you experience when your sunroof is fully opened at higher speeds. Also, there is a long-awaited BMW fix for the creaking. Contact your dealer and ask them to read Service Bulletin 51 07 04. Whether it is a permanent fix is yet to be known. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
  • Options
    yanezdavidyanezdavid Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that the noise on the sunroof occurs while is fully closed. I took the info about the service bulletin to fix the creaking to my dealer today. According to them they are rated #1 in service in US, let's wait and see..... They gave me a black X3 with 4K miles on it. No creaking and no sunroof noise I really enjoyed the ride back home, it gave me a good feeling that they can do something .
  • Options
    harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    Let us know about the fix. The sunroof should not make noise when the glass is closed (at least mine doesn't).
  • Options
    bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry to read about these problems with your X3. If you and your BMW center need our our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200422400424 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.
  • Options
    jamesw7jamesw7 Member Posts: 23
    tdono & jimbob533, my X3 3.0 has a premium package and the inside roof is covered with cloth. From the driver seat, you can see the supporting arch coming down to the front panel which is made of hard plastic and the cloth came out in-between the seam of arch and hard plastic. I saw a little bubble came out initially but now the whole cloth area is really coming out. It looks awful.
  • Options
    hkfooeyhkfooey Member Posts: 5
    To all the X3/3.0 owner out there, got a few questions and need your input:

I took my M3 in for 30K service and they gave me a X3/3.0 as a loaner. There was around 2k miles on it.

I have a few complains and wonder if you have something similar happen to you:

1. Gas mileage is not that great. Around 17mpg. Is that right?
    2. Blind spot on the driver side.
    3. Craftsmanship (especially interior) is not what to expected?
    4. Pick up speed on the freeway was not as I expected, but it is 220 hp already (of course, you can’t compare to a M3!)
    5. For around $43K, I can buy a fully load MDX or RX330 (with GSP, more power and everything else). Is it worth the money, really? (I own a M3 w/SMG… so I am a loyal Bimmer anyway).

Thanks in advance and your comments are welcome!
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That's a good question. To answer a question like that I would test drive all those cars. In addition, the subie crowd raves about the XT for about $30K. (but for less money don't expect better mileage <). See what their strenghts and weaknesses are. Personally I would rather have an X3, the RX is too boring, I never liked the MDX.

But good luck.
  • Options
    I did test drive most of the SUV out there - ML350, RX330, MDX, FX 35, and even the Porsche just to name a few...

All the Japanese SUVs are the same … very Japanese feel and for the price you pay for, I figure you just can&#146;t get wrong with them (maintenance-wise). Somehow the Japanese SUV (at least I felt) lack of character. The German ones are different… from the moment you close the door to the way it handle…

My wife loves the X3 because of its size and the look/feel to her. I don&#146;t like it because of price. I guess if you are going to get a Bimmer, you should not complain about the price (or else get a cheaper Explorer instead!).

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    trader_tomtrader_tom Member Posts: 25
    Hi All,

I ordered my X3 3.0i on June 21, and it arrived at my dealer on August 1. So the total was right around 6 weeks start to finish. Delivery was a very nice experience. It is a stripped down 3.0i/6-speed in Jet Black, no options. I have owned it for about 12 days, and logged about 450 miles of mostly commuter driving around a small city.

Initial impressions, the ride is very stiff when new, but is settling down now after 400 miles. Running the lower 28/32 psi in the tires helps, especially if you keep the fuel tank topped off. The only time I find the ride a bit uncomfortable is over concrete abutment style roads. All of this is comparable to other new SUVs I have owned, where spring rates tend to soften as they age. I have noticed no quality issues as of yet, and there is no door squeaking. My first tank gas mileage was 19.7 around town, but that is not much of an indicator. I tend to keep an eye on mileage anyway, so I will get an accurate overage over time. For the record, I have really babied it for the first 300 miles, and plan on taking it easy up to the recommended 1200 miles.

Break in from 2 miles to 450 miles has been more significant than other new vehicles I have purchased. The brakes when new were very difficult to modulate. Now, they are predictable and just awesome. The manual transmission has had several break in points so far. First attempts at reverse took several attempts, and were very stiff. The clutch grabbed very awkwardly, and shifts seemed almost foreign from one gear to another. Fortunately, all of the transmission oddities have worked in the first 100 miles. The clutch still grabs a little funny, but I am sure part of it is me switching between standard shifts on two vehicles (Subaru Outback.) Seats were also very stiff for the first 100 miles. The materials seem to be stretching a bit, and they have grown more comfortable. I did not notice these items on the test drive vehicles, but all of them had some seat time before me.

Overall, I am impressed with the vehicle. It's not your typical BMW, but neither is it your typical SUV or station wagon for that matter. That is mostly what appealed to me. It appears to be a great cross between car and SUV in a BMW style package. I will know better how well it does off road and towing over the next few months. Driving around town is a blast, and it seems to enjoy being pushed, although I have not pushed very hard yet. The exhaust note inside the car is very sweet. I did manage to get the 1.9% financing, so I saved a considerable amount of money in the end. A nice bonus.

Cheers,
    Tom
  • Options
    kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    I agree with hkfooey! My wife hates SUVs...we had nearly bought a 325i sedan, when she decided to test drive the X3. She just loved it. We test drove the RX330, MDX, FX35, Murano, Forester XT and the Touareg. She just didn't like any as much as the X3. I, personally, liked the comfort and ride of the RX330 - real smooth! But it was not my choice to make. The F-XT drove real well but doesn't look all that hot. The MDX and the FX-35 and the Murano were as hkfooey said "Japanese in feel". [Not that there is anything wrong with that :o)]
    I played the devil's advocate trying to make her doubt her choice by high-lighting the other SUVs strengths to the X3s weaknesses.....and she still liked the X3. It was not just one thing but the whole experience that sold her. She is not into cars and so does not know a BMW from a SAAB (Incidentally, she preferred the Saab 9-3 Arc to the 325i - in handling!). I asked her what was her second choice after the X3....she answered "the 325i"!
  • Options
    My experience has been similar to Trader Tom's. I have noticed now (after 1500 miles) that my ride is growing smoother by the days. I used to sail over speed bumps in my Cherokee. Those days are over now, but that's ok. The interstate is where the X3 not only shines, it sparkles. And for those with large dogs, a doggie gate is not necessary because the distance between the roof and the back seat headrests do not allow enough room for a large dog to jump into the back seat. I love that! I'm getting about 300 miles to a tank - and it appears that when the gas light comes on you really do only have a couple of gallons left - I'm not running the tank to almost empty for fear of damaging the engine. I was using Shell's V-Power highest grade but the last two tanks I used medium grade. I have decided to stick with the premium.

Last week it rained while my sunroof was split open to vent - and not a single drop of water got inside. I was very impressed with that - and the little grate that slides into place when the privacy screen splits apart.

I'll continue posting more observations as the miles accrue.
  • Options
    Nothing is wrong with the X3 (apart from the high cost, hash ride, so so interior, lack of power… etc), it is a good car/SUV!

I told my wife to get the Japanese SUV instead, since it will be cheaper on the purchase price and cheaper on the maintenance in the long run … but she told me she&#146;s going to get the X3, because she likes the &#147;look&#148; and it&#146;s so &#147;cute&#148;. Since she did not complain when I purchase my M3 (high cost, hash ride, so so interior, but plenty of power)… :-)

I guess I will happily assist her to get her X3 (shut up and listen to your wife Fooey!).
  • Options
    Hi!
    I am picking up my X3 2.5i tomorrow.

Can any experienced BMW buyer share some suggestions, ideas or forget-me-nots during delivery?? Would any of you have a "BMW Vehicle Pick-up Checklist"??

I am a first time BMW owner and am sure will miss something - like courtesy programming of the keys or other programming options.....which might cost me $$$ later.

Also, if I buy some accessories like the Tail-pipe trim or wheel-locks (before delivery), do I need to pay for their installation or can I ask the dealership to waive it??

Are there are freebies to be had??

Any help is greatly appreciated.....THANKS!!
  • Options
    Could someone let me know what the "small button" to the bottom right of the 4-spoke wheel is supposed to do??
    It has an image of three lines in a circle on top of it. I was told that it is a programmable button......for the heated steering wheel???? What are the other options this button can be programmed to??

Thanks.
  • Options
    There appears to be two different buttons for this location. One is the three arrows that form a circle. This is the air re circulation button which acts the same as the one on the heating/AC system. The other version of this button is the one with the picture of wheel and squiggly lines next to it. That version is for the heated steering wheel, and is only available when optionally equipped. According to the manuals, this button is not programmable.

If yours is different, I can't find anything that supports a variable feature.

Cheers,
    Tom
  • Options
    Congrats on your delivery. My experience two weeks ago went very smooth. There was no hidden agenda, and I felt there was no need for a checklist. They spent over an hour reviewing the forms and vehicle functions.

A day prior to delivery, a sales person did call to ask which features I wanted enabled. This included Daytime Running Lights, Pathway Lighting, Auto Locking, and Selective Unlocking. I was told that these items are available for programming at delivery for free. I was also told that any other item programmed would include a fee.

The only item I was offered for free installation was the $250 BMW mat set. There were no other freebies being offered to me.

For the record, I ordered the trailer package at the time of delivery. It was installed one week later. The BMW scripted cost for this job was a whopping $714 plus tax. There was no optional service to this outside of BMW, and it requires re-programming of the current sensors for the lighting system I am told. The installation looks OK, although the plastic trimming required is not perfectly neat, and there is not really enough room for the capacity sticker they apply. At least it looks like it is part of the vehicle, and it has a cool BMW receiver cover.

Enjoy, and tell us of your experiences,
    Tom
  • Options
    I should have never posted my rave review yesterday. The Murphy's Law Gods have struck, hehe. This morning after parking the car at the office I noticed that the plastic module that holds the two main air conditioner vents has separated (or popped out) from the dash. Rather than trying to snap it back into the dash myself, I'm taking it back to the dealer. Bizarre.
  • Options
    Thanks Tom! I initially had a young "green" salesman who was very enthusiastic, courteous and was trying to please. He left on a weeklong vacation and I got stuck with this seasoned pro, who is very knowledgeable, but seems to be in a constant hurry and has an out-of-sight out-of-mind mentality. I had to call him 3 times to see if he had got the X3 from the warehouse. And I haven't, as yet, been offered the programming sheet.
    I do want to avail of all the courtesy services available to a new BMW customer.

I will definitely write about my experience - Hope it goes as smooth as yours!!

Thanks!!
  • Options
    How many speakers are in this X3 2.5? I only count Four in the doors. I have read the write ups on Edmunds. It says 10 speakers. Other sites say Eight speakers. As far as I can tell there are only four speakers. Where are all the other speakers? I think the write ups are wrong on the standard features. Please all reply??
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Most speakers in the door contain 2 each mounted coaxially (ie on top of each other). So if you have a speaker in each door, then there are your 8. Most likely you have other speakers mounted up in the dash or somewhere in the back.

I don't have an X3 or I'd go check for ya. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    Edmunds is pretty close to being accurate, but it's not always the case....BUT even the X3 advertising Brochure/Manual is not accurate. The brochure lists 3-Spoke steering wheel as standard in the premium package - it is actually the 4-spoke which is standard in the USA.....the 3-Spoke might be standard in Europe or Asia. Edmunds lists 6-way power seats in the X3 - It is actually 8-way.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For corrections, please Contact us.

thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The X3 accessory manual has a $40 cable to hook up your MP3 player or other source to your car stereo system. The AUX input according to the photo seems to be in the glove-box? But we could not find it?? Has anyone seen this? Is it part of a package?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I guess the cable advertised is not the cable to connect the MP3 player to the input. The cable is, in fact, the AUX input. It connects directly to the radio head unit.
  • Options
    Showed the service advisor my popped out vent panel and he simply pushed it back into the dash until it clicked back into place.

He then commented "People think that elves in Bavaria build these cars".

I had the ipod installed -and it was thru the glove compartment but it was more than $40 to do so.
  • Options
    Thanks! I guess the cost of the cable is $40 + Labor??
  • Options
    Riverside BMW installed FOG Lights in my X3 2.5i. If your dealer won't do it. Reference Rivereside BMW Southern California. Don't take we cannot do that for a answer.
  • Options
    daves1daves1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an X3 w/ 3.0 engine and 6 speed. Sports package has 18 inch wheels w/ Dunlop Hi performance tires. My concern is how well will this car perform in the snow with these tires. The BMW book does not recommend these tires in Ice or Snow. The dealer tells me not to worry.

Can you calm my concerns? Thanks.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Take a look and give us the exact model of your Dunlops.. I'm familiar with the Sport package tires that come on 3-series, and there is no way you can drive on them in the snow.. My first inclination is that your BMW manual has given you the correct info, and your dealer is full of it.

I will say... the 325xi still comes with decent all-season tires, even with the sport package. I'll be interested to see exactly what tires come on your X3.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I read some chit chat on the net about painted bumpers (Color Keyed) for the X3 2005 Model? What do you think about that? I know there is a Aero kit you can purchess for about $4000.00. I seen some pictures on the net. I have to admit. BMW MIGHT HAVE MADE A MISS STAKE IN THESE FLAT BLACK BUMPERS. What do all you BMW X3 owners think? We need some serious input. Is BMW way off with the Flat Black Bumpers. If BMW does make the change. How will that make you feel with the 2004 you own?
  • Options
    After having several cars with painted bumpers, I'm glad I have the flat black plastic ones. Painted bumpers give the car a "finished" look, granted, but if you look at cars on the road, you see painted bumpers that have tons of scratches - where people have backed into stuff. Since my dog jumps in and out of the cargo area, the black plastic doesn't show nail scratches as easily. I'd rather have the plastic rather than paint/w scratches. IMHO.
  • Options
    vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    I think the black bumpers look great on my Alpine White X3! I think it looks a bit more rugged than the painted bumpers.
  • Options
    For black or white cars, the plastic bumpers look fine.. I prefer the look of painted bumpers otherwise, though the X3 looks great anyway.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    provoloneprovolone Member Posts: 3
    The black bumpers are extremely practical. They wipe clean. No bugs, nicks from rocks, or road grime. They are perfect for a sport utility vehicle that is stylish, well built and handles great. I've got 5,500 miles, no problems or regrets whatsoever. Not a moment of buyers remorse. If you are looking for sport styling, try an M3.
  • Options
    carrotcarrot Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a new car. Just test drove the bmw x3 recently and wanted some owners' feedback. it's been almost 2 months since you have your car. Are you still loving it? Any issues (from minor to major)? Also, did you have much space on pricing negotiation? How much did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking.
    Any other feedback from any x3 owners would be muh appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I have owned the X3 for only about a week. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I think it is an excellent choice if you want to use it primarily around town and not-so-serious off-roading on the weekends.....though I must mention that a stock X3 won the 'Unlimited Trucks and SUVs' class in the AlCan Winter Rally. (Roundel, June 2004)

It is an extremely responsive vehicle - as expected from a BMW!

I am very particular about my things and take a long time to make a purchase...but like you (I assume?) I want to feel nice/good everytime I see/use my purchase.......and the X3 does that for me!!

As far as price goes I paid about $450 over Edmunds invoice. This $450 included dealer profit + MACO + processing fee.

BTW I did not negotiate individual items just the bottom line figure. I put MACO just to let you know that some dealers did mention it to me while giving out prices. The dealer that I purchased it from did not charge me MACO - though they did have a $400 processing fee.....but any way you slice it, bottom line is that I paid $450 over invoice.

I also got 1.9% financing which ends on Aug 31. I think there are good deals to be made expecially if you are willing to take something lying on the lot. If you intend on buying a 2004 don't lose out on the low APR...current market rates are, at minimum, 4.25%.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I agree the bumbers look great on white or black. As for other colors like red; I would go with the color coded bumbers. I would prefer a Mat or foot guard on the top of the Back Bumper. What do you think?
  • Options
    x3rx3r Member Posts: 21
    Actually I am very pleased with the functional unpainted bumpers. But I also went with the Black Saphire Metallic paint so my vehicle feels pretty unified already in that color.

see why at:

http://www.designbivouac.net
  • Options
    daves1daves1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for helping me out. The tires are Dunlop SP Sport 01 or 07 *. Did not realize the rear is larger than the front. These tires also indicate which side is outbound when mounting. Think these tires can go safely and effectively in the snow?

I await your reply before I take delivery.
  • Options
    I looked at the BMW website and tirerack.com
    It looks like those are definitely summer only performance tires.. While the AWD may give you enough traction to keep from getting stuck, I believe those tires would be dangerous to drive on slick roads. Unless those are special super-duper SUV only tires (and I don't think they are), you will probably need winter tires.

I'm really surprised they don't put all-season tires on an SUV. Even the 325xi and 330xi with sport package get all-season tires.

It looks like there are winter tires available.. Tirerack has Blizzak LM-22 in those sizes. Figure at least $1000 for a set. Or you could buy dedicated winter wheels in 17", and save about $300 a set on tires and improve your winter traction. The best option would be to find a set of wheels off a non-sport X3, but since it is a new model, that might be hard to do. Sorry that I don't have better news for you.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    If you really don't want the expense and the trouble of changing out to winter tires (it does seem like a pain for an SUV), then you might think about skipping the Sport package. I have the Sport package on my 325i, and I change out tires, but I wouldn't want to do that if I had an X3. Not to mention the cost of 18" tires... I know the 18" look better, but shewwwwwww..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator