Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• odysbmw5odysbmw5 Member Posts: 9
    I am a Canadian too though living permanently in the US and an X3 owner--I didn't think the deals could be better in Canada--though 5k (assuming it is Cdn $) is tempting. Have you done an MSRP comparison first? What about Sales tax and Customs? Also does BMW Canada honor US Warranties? Personally I think the Nav system is over rated and hence should not play in your decision. Great Car-- I love it.
  • rubytuesday1rubytuesday1 Member Posts: 5
    As far a I know so far if you buy a car in he US and ten you decide to move back to Canada you will be allowed to bring it back with you but you have to pay the tax on the current price of the car (i am assuming at least 20% off of what you paid as it is now considered used) minus 10k (candian). I am just trying tofigure out if i wouldbe worth hehassle. I am not sure if I would hae to change any instrumets becuase of the metric system also Idn't know if BMW Canada would service the car for free for four years. If anyone knows about any of thisinfo I would apprecate your advice. Thanks.
  • odysbmw5odysbmw5 Member Posts: 9
    With an X3 2.5 any one aware of deals and recommendations for tires and whether it should be with rims? Is it worthwhile upgrading to 18"? Can you even do that?
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    The navigation system may not be your cup of tea, however I use it almost every day and wouldn't buy a car without one.
  • kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Does BMW have a factory power outlet which can fit in the flashlight space in the glove-box??

If not, can anyone recommend an after market solution?

Thanks.
    For anyone looking for a power outlet solution in their X3 glove box, here are the parts:

1. BMW Flashlight Socket:
    Part no. 61-13-8-352-336 - $10.50

2. BMW Aux Power Adapter
    Part no. 82-11-0-004-073 - $8.25

The power cord is behind a plastic panel on the left hand side of the glove box. Pull out the panel with a small screw-driver or finger-nail, if you don't have the hook tool.

Connect the power cord to the Flashlight Socket and push it back into the slot. You have your power outlet.

You can connect the Aux Power Adapter to power your portable devices in the glove-box; or get the rechargeable flashlight (@ $24) for emergencies.
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    I am contemplating getting the rear view mirror with compass. Has anyone ever done this work themselves? Is this something I can take on without special tools and damaging the interior? Are there instructions anywhere on the net so I can see what I'm getting into before I put down $295? Thanks
    If you have some rapport with your BMW Service Agent/Manager, she/he might print out instructions for you.
    I was out driving in the deluge that hit NYC this am (it was really something), and I was very impressed and extremely happy with the car's handling and performance in the rain. However, arriving home I noticed my passenger side headlight had fogged. I immediately brought it over to service (they are open Saturday mornings) and was told "...it's OK, it's just humidity. The heat from the headlights will burn it off". In hindsight, this sounds ridiculous. Anyone have any insight into this? Has the seal on the headlight failed? Or, is this actually OK?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    the troubling part is that one headlight fogged up and the other one did not. on the other hand, since it was an unusually strong rain, see if the light does clear up, and check it after driving in the rain in the future. you do have this issue documented, i hope.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You should never have moisture in any part of lamp assemblies. I've had this on several cars and always got it fixed. Insist on it and make them replace the lens or entire lamp assembly if necessary. BMW service shouldn't be sending you away with that lame explanation.
  • dave_in_ctdave_in_ct Member Posts: 5
    I currently have an '04 325xiT (wagon) which, other than having the Steptronic transmission replaced at 1,000 miles, has given me no problems and is a pleasure to drive. However, I'd like a bit more cargo room and am considering the X3, '05 3.0 model (I've test-driven many SUVs and the size of the X3 does meet my needs). Can anyone tell me if the "creaking" and the window noise issues have been resolved? Also, am wondering if the added horsepower to the 2.5 and 3.0 engines will occur in the '06 models. Thanks.
  • prashanthpprashanthp Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new X3 2.5 and have some "problems" with the panaroma roof. I use the overhead sliding/pressure switch to open the visor and slide the shade back. But, I can't seem to use the same buttons to close both of them!

I just called up the service centre and he told me that I can use the button to close the visor but need to manually pull back the sliding shade!
    This sounds bizarre. Is this true? If not can you guy splease post how you use your panaroma roof, particularly how you simultaneously close both an open glass roof and the sliding shade.

Thanks.
    It's BS! The roof and the shade retract automatically. Read page 21 of the manual.

When your shade and roof are in the complete open position make an extended click (like your one-click power windows) and the roof should retract. Another click should retract the shade.

When you go back to the dealer, try this out on the Demo X3.

One other thing you might look into...the one-touch power windows are a programmable feature. You can de-program the one-touch feature for a particular door. Check if there is any programming option for the roof & shade. The only thing is that they have to hook your truck to the computer. If you have not got your complimentary programming, use that opportunity.

Best of luck!
    I don't know about the engine for the '06 model, however, there is a fix for the window creaking problem. My x3 never had this problem until I had the car detailed. I took it to the service center, had the fix done, and the problem is gone.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    I believe he is saying that when he closes the roof, the shade remains retracted, and has to be closed manually...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Right! He should be able to click the roof button a second time and the shade should retract automatically. No manual intervention needed.....Hope he gets it resolved coz' otherwise he'd have to get out of the truck, get into the back seat push it all he can, then get into the front seat and close it.

What a pain!
  • a4s2000a4s2000 Member Posts: 9
    I had this done yesterday at the dealership. I asked about self-installation and they said it's not possible because of the calibration necessary for the compass. One thing to note: the compass mirror I got does NOT have the red alarm light. Doesn't matter to me but might to some people.
  • x3rx3r Member Posts: 21
    Push the sliding button ALL THE WAY forward PAST the first postion stop. The sliding cover should then begin to close.
  • dave_in_ctdave_in_ct Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it.
  • lbuonomolbuonomo Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I am considering an X3 along with a few other SUVs. Does anyone have any comments on its off road capabilites ?

I am looking to do a little beach and light woods use along with everyday driving.

I have search and really can't find much on this and the dealer is not a source I would trust.

Thanks
    Lou
  • jedjed Member Posts: 24
    Harplayr, could you tell us if the fix for the creaking was the one mentioned by Jimbo as a service bulletin?
    As for 06 engine, it would seem likely the horsepower upgrade to both the 2.5 and 3.0 in the 325 will also be in the x3.
    Someone in the car review section mentioned not finding non ammonia cleaner (recommended to her, maybe by a dealer) to work well on the leatherette. I think the manual suggests a mild soap solution, so I use ivory bar soap watered down and followed up with clear water and it seems to work fine on my black leatherette (Ivory flakes at my stores are a detergent base, which is why I'm using the bar)
  • rpi67rpi67 Member Posts: 3
    Does an X3 with 2.5 engine and std all season tires need snow tires in Chicago? My daughter will be moving there soon.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    will always be preferable to A/S tires, regardless of whether or not you have AWD. Chicago gets often enough (and in enough quantities) to justify them. Just get a second set of wheels so the swap is much easier.

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Last weekend my dad was in a Mazda 626 and was hit broadside by a car going 45 mph. He survived, but has serious injuries. I'm wanting to find him a safe car and one that he can handle easily (he's 63). I was thinking of the X3 (or a 325xi) for him. How do you guys feel the X3 ranks as far as safety?

I've read my BMW magazine and read the sections about accidents and survival and just curious as to how the X3 has done in testing.

If I didn't pick a BMW, what other cars would you recommend (side impact airbags required).

-Paul
    Yes, it was the one mentioned here. It worked like a charm, now to see how long it lasts.
    I don't think the X3 has been tested yet, but I would expect it to do very well as all BMW's tested have received high safety marks.
    How much did the dealer charge to install this? I see it as the poor man's navigation system.
  • pcaopcao Member Posts: 2
    Somebody can tell me what is the "Creak" or "howling noise"?

I found when I drive more than 70 MPH, I can hear the wind!

It's that common or I should call dealer?

I usually hear nothing below this speed.

Thank you!
    The "creak" is a noise of varying degree from the windows when driving. It can sound like a "click" or a rattle. My X3 didn't have the problem until I got the car detailed, then it almost sounded like the door was ajar.

The fix is a simple warranty matter, where the dealer uses a product to clean the door seal, then applies a kind of lubricant. This has solved the problem on my X3.
  • pcaopcao Member Posts: 2
    So I guess my car is fine for "Creak".
    But how about Wind Noise, it's normal that I can hear the wind at 70MPH without open moonroof?
  • kiwikiwi Member Posts: 1
    My X3 makes the same howling noise at 70mph. It sounds like someone is blowing across the top of a pop bottle. I haven't raised it with the dealer yet.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Is the cooling power of the A/C unit in a X3 2.5 adequate for very hot summer days?
  • juanchyprjuanchypr Member Posts: 17
    Hi 307,

I believe that the A/C system its the same on the 2.5 or 3.0. Mine it's the 3.0 and I live in Puerto Rico, where we know a little bit about hot and the A/C systems up to date works excellents also in Auto mode.

X33.0, White/Gray Montana/Automatic
  • fiddellfiddell Member Posts: 9
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with the window creaking problem. I also have the high speed howling problem. Does anyone have the sunroof deflector rattling problem? Can anything be done about that? I also have two other problems. The passenger side cup holder won't open and the passenger airbag sensor light goes on even though my wife who's about 120 lbs is sitting in the seat.
    I checked the tire pressure on my truck for the first time saturday. I was making a long trip and wanted to check the vitals.

I was surprised to find that no two tires had the same pressure. I was about to fill the pressure based on the door post numbers...then I thought that they seemed a little high. I consulted my manual and realized that there was a 6psi diff between what it should have been and the door post. And I thought that there must be quite a few people who must have made the same oversight.

The door post has 32psi (front)and 38psi (rear)- This is the recommended psi for 5 adults with baggage, it is 29psi (front) and 32psi (rear) for 4 adults.

The lower psi made the ride much, much smoother.

One question, though....is it not normal (due to the weight of the engine) to have slightly higher psi in the front than the rear? Why is this opposite for the X3??
  • alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    The passenger side cupholder has already been replaced on my X3. (at 2500 miles). A coworker pushed it in too hard and it broke. I think it's an interesting, yet flawed design.

I too have the howl that sounds like blowing on a coke bottle - but only at 82 mph. It doesn't bother me yet because I never go that fast around the city.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    BMWs are famous for 50/50 weight distribution.. I don't have the specs on the X3, but I'm betting it is not far off.. With RWD, a lot of mechanical weight is in the rear.. Also, under acceleration and in high-speed turns, a lot more weight shifts to the rear.

Almost every BMW recommends higher pressures in the rear... My 325i is recommended at 30F/35R.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx! It is 50/50 for the X3.
  • foxgmfoxgm Member Posts: 1
    I have had my X3 since April of this year. I am surprised to find that I am not that impressed by the car. I was told by my dealer that the X3 would have the "same size engine as the X5." I doubt it. I find my X3 underpowered and under-featured. The engine seems to strain at acceleration everytime I need that extra bit of power. Also the controls and features inside the car are very Spartan. Not worth the price tag as far as I am concerned. I am leasing the car and glad that I did not buy it. Needless to say, I am disappointed by the car.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    did you get a 3.0 or 2.5 if the 3.0 it does have the same engine as the X5. if you have the 2.5 it is not. Take a look at the infiniti FX35. I ffel it is a much better value than an x3. I feel bmw missed the boat by making the x3 feel cheap. The black bumpers and low rent interior is not and middle of the road performance is not why people buy BMW's. Just my .02
    It's late to be disappointed after purchase.
    It is easy to see the controls, features and power before leasing.
    Not sure what the advantage you have in leasing unless the real resale value ends up being less than the lease company projected as the future residual value.
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    Just got the X3 3.0 last week, thought I got a pretty good deal on it, 2.9% financing, premium, xenon, automatic, tint, everything but the sound system and cold weather package and no navi, got it with ttl at 42K. So far happy with it, but I tend to agree if you compare it to RX330 or even the Touraeg it's a bit spartan on the inside.

However, it's a fun ride, I kinda like the clean lines and simplicity inside, but after i see my friend's RX330 i feel like he got more for his money.
    Loaded at $42K+, I wouldn't consider it compared to an RX330, but a lightly-equipped 2.5 isn't too bad compared to competition.
    The 2005 3.0s will be much cheaper because of lots of new standard or no cost options.
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    I reasoned it was a good deal because of how below invoice they went, given our local dealers are notorious for not budging.

Given that, comparing overall the BMW X3 vs RX is apples to oranges, if you prefer an SUV that rides/handles like a sedan, the lexus is better, however, I chose the X3 because it has the SUV size I wanted without comprising the driving performance of a BMW...
    BMW's are not luxurious compared to their equivalent counterparts, 745 to LS 430, 3-series to Acura TL, etc. I drove my sister's 2002 745iL and her 2004 LS430, and there is so much difference.

The 745 interior does not compare to the interior of the LS430. But the 745 is a much sportier drive. I prefer the 745, even though it is not as plush.

The X3 is average in interiors, but it's all very functional. It's a SAV...needs to have easily cleanable surfaces since BMW designed it for weekend sport enthusiasts who would not have to think twice packing their dirty bikes or shoes in the truck. I frankly think that the interior is not plush but it all goes together.

Also, people buy BMW's for the drive, not for their interiors. If you've ever sat in a base 325i, you'll realize just how un-thoughtful BMW is....they don't even have an arm rest or cupholders or any basic storage for the passengers....it is probably very disliked by passengers.....but ask the drivers what they feel? It truly is a driver's machine.

The X3 is a little less powered than most would like, but it does well within the city and is ok for those weekend trips. The handling of the X3 compensates for all the extra power that the MDX, RX and FX have. They can't seem to handle the 40 mile turns that the X3 can.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    don't have bimmer, but my neighbor asks me to drive his m3 every time he adds another mod. hope that counts. :) my guess on tire pressures is that they recommend some understeer (until you can figure what you've got).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jedjed Member Posts: 24
    Kind of fun to see this post and that from foxgm. As a happy BMW owner for 15 years, I was a bit under whelmed by the X3 interior and taken aback by how quickly the price could escalate. But I kept coming back to the car, and I'm glad I did. No question the Touareg has a fabulous interior, but unless you get the V8 it is slower than slow, and others have said putting down the back seat is a serious issue. The RX330 has great features, but sure doesn't drive like the X3. What the X3 offers me is great handling, brakes, and feel, along with easy to put down back seat yielding a pretty flat space that's big enough for me. The car fits my needs (others on this forum helped me see that), and that's pretty much why you buy a car, in my view.
    Shouldn't these RX330 vs X3 threads be in the comparison forum sections?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Like this one?

Lexus RX 330 vs BMW X3

It hasn't been very active - seems like most people compare the RX 330 to the X5.

Steve, Host