Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Yes, scroll to the beginning of the forum so you can read up on it.

2.3L I-4, 3.0L V6.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    You didn't answer the question about command seating, he noted sneakily...
    Yes it'll have command-like seating, did I mention the trunk ?
    Something about an elephant? :)
    That's the 500, this one could hide a Rhino...
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    That's the 500, this one could hide a Rhino..

That's not surprising to me and it's good to hear nothing changed. My Mazda6 sedan has a large trunk as well. Rear seat leg room suffers a bit because of it but I only keep the one year old back there. His gear goes in the trunk and I'm very glad to have the extra space in there.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Mazda Sedan trunk space is 15.2 cubic feet which is a bit less than some of the competition in this size car. I would hope the Fusion is closer to 17 cubic feet like my 2000 Taurus. Best of both worlds would be a Fusion of about 185"-190" long with about 17 cubic feet of trunk space and with the newer linkage style trunk hinges that do not infringe on trunk space. My guess is this is about what Ford is shooting for.

This size differentiates it enough from Focus on the small end and Five Hundred on the large end to have three sizes of sedans that cover the market without stepping on each other.

Crown Vic can soldier on unchanged for the police, taxi and "geezer" market. (No insult intended as I am closer to "geezer" in age than I am to "tuner"), though I would never consider a Crown Vic.
    I OWN a Five Hundred. AWD SEL.

Put a decent trunk on the Fusion, give it command seating, and I am just apt to buy one while I await the larger engine in the Five Hundred.

Just let me get all the options without having to accept a hole in the roof or old dead cow seats. Ford did that right on the Five Hundred (and WRONG on the Montego--to get an outside temperature display, you have to get leather seats! UGH!)
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    I am really interested in the Fusion, and Milan. But I will most likely be shopping the 2nd gen. models. Just bought wife a new car 3 months ago. Make mine a 6M/awd/270hp ST! Thank you very much!
    Mazda Sedan trunk space is 15.2 cubic feet which is a bit less than some of the competition in this size car.

I never said it was bigger than the competition, just that it is pretty big considering the smaller overall size of the car. Looking at the numbers though, I'd say it's right on par with the others.

Make/Model (MY05) Trunk space (cubic feet)

Honda Accord 14

Chevy Malibu 15.4

Nissan Altima 15.6

Toyota Camry 16.7

Mazda6 15.2

'06 Fusion 17?

All numbers were taken from right here at Edmunds.com.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I understand that the Fusion is going to be bigger than the 6 apparently the chassis can be extended.
    Yes, a little. I think that's what we're getting at albeit in a roundabout way. :)
    It's taller, wider, and longer. Unless you don't know about it, you won't be able to tell it's built on a modified Mazda6 platform. Same with the 500 and Volvo S60/S80/XC90, etc.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Fuel ain't going down so I'm glad to see Ford thro

a 4cyl 5 spd back on the market. Pity the 500 does

not offer this but I am excited about the design

and fuel effiency of the fusion. We own a 626 and

love stirring the gears. Seat backs made for asian

males? We built up head-rest restraint 3"...comfy

now. Does "command seating" include accomedation

for the USA 6'male?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Love the 4-cyl 5 spd combo. Would also love to see a wagon version. Best way to get the most efficient space out of a vehicle - plus sedans just don't have good rear headroom compared to wagons.
    Skibry,

All the seats on Ford's N.A. are built with american average heights, that fit majority of it's buyer's. Using a 5-10, 170lbs male, even up to 6-2, 210lbs male. On SOME vehicles, (Mountaineer and Monterey as examples), the seats are designed with women in mind, to facilitate ingress/egress. And the buttons/levers designed for the seats, make it easy for older folks to be able to adjust if need be.

Dudley,

A station wagon version will be available soon after.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Will there be manual transmissions with any/both engines?
    How the manual versions will be allocated, has yet be panned out yet. But there will be manual version.
    I hope they offer one with the 4 and the 6?
    Thats a big bonus w/ Mazda -a stick with either-
    True, although Mazda is going for the "Zoom Zoom Zoom" appeal. Don't wish to step on what makes them stand apart.
  • deadfishdeadfish Member Posts: 4

First pictures I've seen...
    Yes, there will be more when it's released next week.
    I am glad to hear a wagon is coming, I just worry that it won't be available with the 4cyl / manual tranny combo just like the Mazda6.

I suppose there is always the Focus, but it has a few things that annoy me, like no rear headrests (there are far more low speed rear end collisions than high speed crashes where all those air bags come into play).
    This has probably been mentioned before, but how does this Fusion relate to the one available in Europe right now. Isn't that one a much smaller vehicle? Seems unusual to have the same name for vehicles on a different platform.
    All they share is names...

The Fusion over in Europe is based on a B-segment platform the Fiesta...Here, we knew the Fiesta, as the Festiva, and we all know how that went. Overthere, the Fiesta is quite the car for it's class, therefore the Fusion is derived from the Fiesta platform. In South America, it's called Ecosport.

Because Pep Boys argued over the trademark of the Futura name, it was ruled Ford wasn't able to use the Futura name (which was a trim level in Ford's line long ago). So keeping with the new naming tradition, it had to start with an "F", and the Fusion went well in consumer clinics.
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    Station Wagon YES! for us WW II baby-boomers! Great for all the grand kid hauling chores, not to mention ingress/egress in the winter time. Sounds like Mr. Nasser's BAD influence over the Contour/Mystique is gone? I love the chassis/driving traits of my 98 Mistake LS. The sharing of info(nations wide) via Contour.org has greatly enhanced living with this awesome drivers car. Something I call point & shot handling! Ant 14 has promise us if we liked the Conique chassis will will like the Fusion.

I like to add, Ant 14, that I've talked many people that weren't that interested in buying a Contique until they did a test drive.

Chassis dynamics IMHO especially RICHARD PERRY-JONES's should sell a bunch of cars. Hope Hope

Ole phoneman

Paul

N8BUU

Alias F-111D/F
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Is anything being done to make the Fusion's side impact performance better than the Mazda6? Although Mazda's front impact ratings are good, their side impact performance is mediocre.
    "Sounds like Mr. Nasser's BAD influence over the Contour/Mystique is gone?"

While the Contour/Mystique were a bit lackluster here in the N.A. market, it was a hit elsewhere in other countries...Specially in Europe, with the amazing Mondeo (Euro twin) which is one of the benchmarks in it's class. Unfortunately, the Contour/Mystique came at the wrong time, for the wrong market, where most people were appreciating marshmellow-like driving dynamics. Luckily nowadays, people are warming up to "european driving dynamics", where cars respond, feel, drive a bit more controlled.

In this case, if you liked the Contour, you'll LOVE to Fusion. Now let's keep in mind, from this same platform a few other vehicles will be spawned from it. IN sedan variant, there's Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr. While they are all using the same platform and drivetrains (to a certain point), their driving dynamics will differ between each other.

In other words, similar driving senario to the Volvo S40 (european, sporty), Mazda3 (sporty, fun), Focus (fun, people pleaser). The same senario will be true with the Fusion (sporty, people pleaser), Milan (trendy sporty), Zephyr (sophisticated, elegant).

This same platform will also spawn a derivative platform that will underpin the next European Mondeo and Volvo S60. We just happen to get it first because we need it NOW.

"Is anything being done to make the Fusion's side impact performance better than the Mazda6?"

While the platform is the same, it's the pillars that also come into play for such testing. The Fusion will do much better because of the structural reinforcements being integrated into the side structural members. Just recently, the Ford 500/Freestyle achieved 5 Star crash rating on side impacts, WITHOUT side airbags (NHTSA). Similar commitment towards improving side impacts will be implemented for the Fusion.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey anyone know if Ford is going to do a Nissan Murano sized cross over wagon? I know Mazda is showing a car like this at 2005 NAIAS, is there a Ford version in the works?

Is the hybrid being planned for 2006 model year or 2007?

Mark
    Yes, the concept name for the Ford version will be "Fairlane".
    I am looking forward to seeing the Milan at the auto show. Hopefully it looks as good as the sketch. Give me a manual and a somewhat sporty ride and I will give it a look.
    Read the first paragraph of the 'SVT Still Kicking, Ford Says' article.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7904

I think ANT suggested the possibility of a Fusion ST with about 270 HP. Are we looking at maybe 300 HP from the 3.5L Duratec for the SVT version? Honda squeezes 300 out of their 3.5 in the Acura RL so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    Will we get official info on the Fusion? The 9th?
  • cdlrtcdlrt Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone else disappointed in the tail lights of the Fusion? I was hoping for something closer to the 427 concept. They were square and fitted into the trunk like a late 60's Ford Galaxy. Other than that, I think the car is going to be a hit.
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Hey Guys here are some of the Official press release pics that I've manage to collect, what do you think.

To me the Ford Fusion is one of the most original and beautiful designs Ford has done since the 86 Taurus. Even the Interior is nice. Unless slammed with recalls this is going to be a big time home run. Judging by how hard Ford has tried to improve there overall quality in all there vehicles I really really don't see that happening.

Great Job Ford. Oh and everybody seems to be concerned about the 210 HP V6 they are using. Don't worry you have to understand that the Fusion is allot lighter than the 500 and Freestyle. So, it should get a 6 second 0-60 time depending on the gearing ratio on the 6-speed auto tranny in the V6. I would buy this car no questions asked and would be proud to own it. Ford you seem to have a winner.

Enjoy!

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2310.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2311.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2312.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2313.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2314.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2315.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%2316.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%234.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%235.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%236.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%237.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%238.jpg

http://www.msnusers.com/tps97a9c5onakhbn8u1hobpgl3/Documents/Web%- 20Pictures%2FFord%20Fusion%20%239.jpg
    The Fusion has been well received. Positive comments exceeded expectations.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Thank You for your links, but I get a message that "You are not authorized to see that page..."

Can I see the photos elsewhere?
    OK let's give this a try.

OK, now enjoy
    I got the same notice and would love to see more.

Where else,theman123,can one go for visuals?
    I just see a lot of x's no pictures.
    GRGRGR

OK this is really gettin on my nerves, because when I log onto the web-site I see the pics fine and they pop-up on the screen.

I hate to say this, but go to Autoweek.com and go under there Auto show section. click the 2005 production car section and select the Fusion. that's the pics that I'm trying to post here, but it seems that I'm the only one that can see them.
    Hey deadfish, this is really a stupid question, but how did you get your pics to pop-up on the web page. I thought I put the link there to show the pic's but it seems that I'm the only person that can see them. and all the Pics that I have of the fusion are stored on my computer on my HD. so a little help please !!! :( thanks
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Those MSN links are automatically launching a pop up with MS Passport and asking me to log in to see them. Um No Thanks.
    Problem solved

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_detroit/ford/fusion/p- ages/1.htm

go to this link, they have all the pics you would want to see

Enjoy
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    ANT, curious as to your reaction to what seems to be an exceptionally well executed next generation Sonata. Strong motors, standard stability control on all models, good features content, a great looking interior, the Hyundai warranty....

This Fusion is a very sharp vehicle, and seems to be a better entry to the marketplace than is the super dry Five Hundred. But, it's going to face some serious competition.

This is a great time to be buying mid-size! Im only 23, but these cars are the best of most worlds- you can find power, handling, room, refinement, and economy in a single well priced package. Im not at a point yet where the luxury nameplate is worth the extra cash, and so the new entries to this market are awesome.

~alpha
  • dblagentdblagent Member Posts: 14
    Ant - Tell the powers that be to release some more photos. :) It's to hard to find enough pics, so far I have only seen one or two of the inside. I'd also like to see some lower trim levels. I'm glad that the car has goten such a good reception from everyone. I have seen a ton of good things said about the car all over the web. I am sure looking at getting one, seems to be just what I need/want in a car. Now for the SHO/SVT version and I'll really have something to want!
    Now for the station wagon.
    A Station wagon !?!?!?! Forget a station wagon. Ford please make a 2 door Coupe version with the 4 cylinder and V6 available Honda has a 2 door version of the Accord. then you can make a station wagon later.

I Love the Fusion

>:)