Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• eugeny10eugeny10 Member Posts: 5
    Regarding the rain gutter issue,

I have the sedan and have had no problems with water falling on me.

-Eugene
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I don't ever recall officially being on the fence, but I am sure off now! I drove up to Fitzgerald in Maryland (White Flint) where I traded my LL Bean Outback for an 05 Outback XT Ltd 5EAT, Gold with black interior. I came very close to getting a GT wagon, but ground clearance won out in the end. The XT drives and handles so much better than my old Bean that the additional distinction between XT and GT was very small in comparison (though it is very apparent in a back to back GT/XT test drive).

I have to say that I am totally impressed with the new car. The level of refinement and sophistication is pretty amazing and it is one smooth ride (and fast!). I think the biggest improvement is in the steering -- it's light years better than my old Bean. And the interior/exterior rocks; the previous generation had 90s styling but the new generation is clearly keeping pace with modern themes.

Craig
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    1. OK Subaru is better, VW had very bad luck with coil packs and it will hunt them; Engines seems to be consuming oil but who uses recomended 5W40 oil if even dealers are putting 5W30 (I use 0W40).
    2. Ground clearance is good for off roading and Passat does not even pretend to have such capabilities - unfair point, for on road performance it goes against Outback.
    3. Buy armoured HMMV, it has much better protection :-)
    By the way are you talking about Pontiac like body cladding ?
    4. VDC = ESP and it is available for all models for 280 USD for Passat, point for VW.
    5. You are probably right.

And now my points why Subaru is better:
    1. Passat is old design, but it is doing quite well for its age.
    2. Subaru offers something for an ethusiast: manual GT; one cannot have Passat with V6 and AWD and manual, there is W8 with manual and AWD but it is +35000 car and quite heavy.
    3. Turbo 2.5 with AVCS is a gem. VW has nothing like this (they have 3.2 liter VR6 in Golf R32 but this car, even though smaller than Impreza, is heavier than Legacy).
    4. Handling. I have Passat 03 (1.8T auto) and GT handles much better but tires are probably the biggest reason (VW 195/65 R15 - Subaru 215/45 R17). My other car - Passat 97 (auto VR6) - handles almost as good as GT (it has 215/50 R15 tires but no IRS Independent Rear Suspension) and I know its handling for years ;-)
    5. GT brakes are very good.

For Passat:
    1. Its interior is still better but engine and drivetrain are not. One knows where Subaru put money to.
    2. Warranty.

Krzys

PS In my list of improvements for Legacy I forgot telescoping steering wheel.
    Still for now re
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I had the same issue with my base wagon. I took it to the dealer, and they said it cycles on purpose like that to keep the compressor from freezing up. I haven't noticed it as much since the weather "cooled" off (from 112 that day to the mid 100s :-) It also seemed more noticeable when the temp dial was set at a certain angle...a little warmer or cooler setting seemed to make it disappear.

-KarenM-
    http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html
    I just did comparison between 2004 Passat AWD GLX and 2005 Legacy GT Ltd (both sedans).
    Legacy is almost 300 lbs. lighter.
    3721 lbs. vs 3435 lbs.
    Legacy is longer and wider but lower.

Krzys
    You know you can delete repeated messages.

Krzys
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    I know you'll be very happy together.... Were you actually ever on the fence?

Krzys - VDC > ESP

Owen
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Craig: Congrats! You did it! Did you get a good deal? Good choice with the 5EAT -- you won't be disappointed. I'm incredibly satisfied with my choice. Let us know how the break-in goes!

450 mile report:

So I've put on about 450 miles now. I'm averaging about 21mpg and I've started to let the revs climb up to 3500 and once in a while to 4000 very briefly. The engine does feel like it's losening up, especially on freeway driving. Power delivery is getting smoother and stronger.

I had a chance to drive at night. The new projector beams are superb! They're brighter and more defined than my Forester which I considered to be pretty good. I'm completely sold on the idea that HIDs are not a necessity with this car. I'll try and take pics sometime.

I also spent some time detailing my GT wagon this weekend. I washed, clayed and then applied Klasse AIO. The paint is now so incredibly smooth. Even on a freshly delivered vehicle, the clay bar was able to pull of enough contaminants to make a noticeable difference. Next weekend, I'm going to top it off with a coat of the High Gloss Sealant.

Ken
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Craig- Hey, welcome to the off-the-fence club!!! Good luck staying below 4000 rpm! I had a hard choice between outback and GT, but I went the other way knowing that despite having had SUVs I never needed the ground clearance. (except to run up and over curbs).

Ken- I was told by my local body shop not to put wax on cars that have been recently painted. He suggested 60-90 days for the paint to breathe and totally harden. Do you know anything about this? BTW,what kind of clay bar did you use?

tom
  • michael2michael2 Member Posts: 31
    picked up my atlantic blue pearl gt limited last wednesday, and have about 350miles on it so far. gas mileage has run between 23 and 26 mpg. this car is awesome, the power is unlike anything i've ever experienced,and the fit and finish, and performance of the car makes this an excellent competitor to the likes of the a4,passat 4motion,bmw 330xi and acura tl, whose owners check it out carefully as i pass them. i purchased it at colonial motor cars ltd in kingston ny, route 9w bypass, and i live on long island, so being the 2nd car i've purchased from them,the deal was great, and the trade in, and the travel worth it.i was doing easily 80-90 mph going south on the thruway, without any effort on the part of the vehicle whatsoever. i was told i could use 89 octane, instead of 91, and the first service could be at 3000 miles.the car has the black leather interior,and it is SHARP!
    Any data to back it up ?
    I think both are very similar.

Krzys
  • natenate Member Posts: 12
    Sorry. I didn't realize it was repeating the message. It was not me repeating it. I have deleted them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats Craig & Michael!
     Thanks to everyone's posting their experiences. Please keep it up!

Mark
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    That new gold is very nice. I've seen a number of Outbacks with it, and I just saw a new '05 Forester XT with that color too. Very, very nice.

Enjoy your new ride, and look forward to more old vs new Outback comparisons as the miles pile on. :)

Bob
    Since your new Outback is now a "truck," did you have to get new license tags in VA? Or could you transfer your old tags from your old Outback? In Maryland you would have to get new tags, and I'm assuming you would, be it VA or elsewhere.

Bob
    Ken: I paid invoice for the car, which seemed like a great deal to me! That 5EAT definitely rocks. I don't miss MT at all. I do like those steering wheel shifter buttons, which I previously didn't care about. Coming off the highway onto an exit ramp, I can stab twice to get into 3rd gear, and the 5EAT holds that gear all through the curve. Pretty nice to have fast/easy engine braking with an auto.

Bob: they are transferring my VA plates, but in the meantime I have temp MD tags. I was not even thinking about the car/truck issue, but come to think of it, most trucks in VA have the same kinds of tags as cars (even some commercial vehicles).

One thing I like about the gold color is that you get unpainted black rocker panel covers. I really like the durability and the look. The car came with the front bumper guard, and that looks decent on a gold car too (it appears to just be silver painted plastic).

Tom: I have strayed over 4000rpm a couple times by accident, and now I know I have to be more vigilant! The transmission will happily downshift right into 4000-5000rpm band if you let it, so I need to be more careful.

Craig
    tom: Not waxing a freshly painted uncured car is correct, but the paint on all cars devliered to dealers are already cured. I'm sure that the panels are painted fairly early on the process an then speed cured. In fact, as part of the PDI process, many dealers will wax your vehicle. It's ready for your own waxing when you take delivery!

I used Mother's Clay Bar that you can buy at pretty much any auto store. Just remember to use liberal amounts of the detail spray and never, ever reuse a clay bar that's been dropped.

It's pretty amazing to see how much junk it'll pull off of even from a brand new car. I suspect that the vehicles pick up quite a bit of contaminants during shipment since the hood (which comes shipped with protective film) was the cleanest. The front fenders were the worst. A quick test to see if you need to clay is right after washing your car, put your hand into a plastic sandwich bag and run it over the paint. If it's clean, it should feel glass smooth. If it feels even a bit bumpy, you've got stuff embedded in your paint.

Craig: I've been keeping my 5EAT out of Sport mode -- the last time I put it in there, I was up to 4500 rpm before I knew it (oops!).

Ken
    Okay, here's another noise I'd like to verify with my co-5EAT owners.

Just as you come to a stop, do you hear a "click" coming right from around the gear selector? You can also feel it if you have your hand on the selector as well.

It's fairly subtle so you would need to have the AC and stereo off to hear it.

Ken
  • outbacker2k2outbacker2k2 Member Posts: 24
    Congrats Craig! I envy you, I won't be in the market for my XT/GT Wagon for a few more months yet. Valley Motors or Jones in Bel Air will probabally be my dealer.

One question, how are the brakes on your XT? Have you experienced any of the problems mentioned in some of the reviews regarding stopping power?
  • jman3jman3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi subi owners,
       Have any recent owners of the 2005 legacy/outback figured out how to modify the factory radio to hook up with a mp3 player. My wife and I recently purchased a honda pilot. Reading the discussion forums for pilot there is an auxillary cable that can be purchased from logjam electronics that allows you to modify the stock radio. Any techie out there know how to do this on a 2005 subie?
      Regards, jesse
  • mruebuschmruebusch Member Posts: 25
    Well I ordered mine saturday. Garnet Red 5EAT. I test drove all the other contenders but wow was the Legacy fast and sure handled well. I loved the 5EAT too, I didnt notice much difference from the manual in my test drives. I'm just hoping it doesnt taake to much more than 6 weeks. Anyway I cant wait and I think I picked the right time to become a subie owner.
    Shaun: The brakes seem fine to me, but I am taking it real easy on them during break-in. I did have one fairly solid stop when I needed to pull over to visit a restroom (important) and nearly missed the turn. In the regular driving thus far (only about 250 miles on the car) the brakes seem fine to me. Keep in mind that I am coming off a 02 LL Bean with fairly worn brakes, so as I mentioned earlier, the 05 Outback outperforms my old car in every way. The brakes seem fine to me, and the pedal feel is excellent.

Ken: you have a lot of dedication to clay bar a whole wagon!! I can barely muster enough energy to wax once with the Klasse cleaner wax, and maybe follow up with the sealant (though I did two coats to two cars in one day last fall). I've been fairly happy with the results from the cleaner wax on a new car, and have not ever used a clay bar first.

Craig
    Craig,

I thought I was crazy too, but it's a heck of a lot easier claying the GT wagon than my Forester. I also thought about going straight to Klasse, but I figured this would be one of the very few times I would clay.

So, have you seen any other XTs on the road around you? So far, I have not seen any other GT wagons, just one 2.5i wagon.

Ken
  • frankwfrankw Member Posts: 22
    Re: XT brakes

They probably aren't as strong as those on the X5 I traded (that 5000 pound vehicle can go from 60-0 in 117 feet) but they are very good. A person in front of me decided to stop to let a backhoe, which was happily waiting at a stop sign, get on the road ahead of us. I had to make an emergency stop in my Outback XT because of this unexpected courtesy. There was no problem but the person in the Land Rover behind me looked rather startled.

It finally rained here in Santa Fe and I don't recall any drenching when I opened the door.

I now have 920 miles and I am still enjoying the car (truck) throroughly. Shortly I am going to put it in sport mode and forget about it.

Frank
    I just hooked up one of those adapters from logjam to my wife's TSX and it works great for $99. No such device for Subarus yet, but it should be technically possible since most (maybe all) of the Subaru radios have some sort of I/O connector on the back. Some Subaru radios have been made by Clarion and Matsushita who also make radios for other automakers. So I think it's possible to do this with a Subaru radio, but don't know anybody selling a Subaru-specific adapter.

One person on the NASIOC forums was able to make his own adapter for the radio in his Forester XT, but it was not a perfect solution -- further development would be needed.

I'm in the process of evaluating solutions for my new Outback, and will let you know if I figure anything out. Step one is to see if I can get easy access to the back of the radio!

Craig
  • outbacker2k2outbacker2k2 Member Posts: 24
    Good to hear, when I get my new GT/XT it will be replacing my '96 OB Wagon so I am sure the difference is night and day.
    A fellow over at the Legacysti.com site put his GT on a dyno. The results showed a fairly nice and flat torque curve between 3-5K rpm. The fellow was guestimating about 260HP/270ft-lbs at the crank.

Ken
  • trueawdtrueawd Member Posts: 64
    I asked my dealer and they said it will be available in September / October.

I don't know who said it but yes I agree it should be in every 2005 Legacy and Outback.
    could it interfere with manual transmission ?

Krzys
    I don't know who said it but yes I agree it should be in every 2005 Legacy and Outback.

Yours truly. :)

Bob
    Not at all. In fact, if anything, it makes it easier as your arm can rest on it when it's raised and moved forward. It might interfere with the center console cupholders, however.

Bob
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Doe the intercooler need to be cleaned periodically? Saw a used STi at the dealer with an intercooler full of dead bugs and stuff. How do you clean the thing?

Ken- thanks for the clay bar tips. It must have been a good chunk of your weekend!

I have never seen another GT on the road. I have seen 2 black XTs and a white one. Still a rare car up here.

I had someone ask me if I bought a Mustang. I tried not to get offended! ;-) They thought it looked like a sports car.

tom
    Surprisingly, I have not seen any new Legacys or Outbacks on the road here.

Here's a pic of my new OB XT:

c_hunter "Subaru Crew: Photo Gallery" Jul 19, 2004 9:13pm

Craig
    It sure won't hurt to clean out the IC periodically. You can also put a piece of mesh or screen over the top of the fins to keep them from getting jammed with debris and bent up. I may do something like that on my new OB XT.

Craig
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Test drove an '05 OBXT 5-speed today. Here is how it compares to my '04 FXT 5-speed:

POWER: The FXT is faster, with instant power delivery, while the OBXT has a smoother, linear throttle response. Think of the FXT as the Tasmanian Devil, while the OBXT is more like the Road Runner. Beep Beep :)

REFINEMENT: The OBXT definitely wins in this department - quiter interior, more supple, but still firm, ride, classier looking interior, more intelligent climate control, has trip computer. The electro-luminiscent OBXT gauges are better visible than the red needles on the FXT

COMFORT/SPACE: Front seat space and comfort about the same, rear seat space slightly bigger in the OBXT, cargo space bigger in the FXT. Power seat on the OBXT is definitely a big plus - very easy to adjust.

TRANMISSION: Both 5 speeds are easy to work and shift smoothly. The OBXT clutch feels lighter, but the FXT shifter is positioned better, the OBXT one sits a bit high.

HANDLING/BRAKING: About the same, the FXT feels slightly lighter on its feet, but the OBXT has faster steering ratio.

SUMMARY: FXT still more practical of the two and less expensive. OBXT should appeal to those with priority on refinement over utility.
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    samiam,
    Useful info for us on the fence. One question though, cargo space: I think the OB is bigger in both volume and floor surface. Are you referring to the height, or another measure?
    I have to agree with Bart -- we owned an 03 Forester and an 02 Outback, and the Outback did have more cargo room. The Forester looks taller, but the hatch openings are pretty much the same height (Outback has more of a sloped window, however).

I'd have to say that the 05 Outback looks to have a smidge more cargo room than my 02 did, just visually. Anybody have the specs?

Craig
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    From cars101.com
    2004:
    wagon 34.3 rear seat up
    wagon 68.6 rear seat down
    2005:
    EPA Cargo volume, no sunroof 33.5cf
    EPA cargo volume with seats flat, no sunroof 66.2cf
    So we've lost a cubic foot or so.

By comparison, Forester 32cf, 64.1cf. Legacy/OB also have more floor space, where most of our junk goes. See cars101 for detailed measurements, this guy is thorough.
    I received my coupon book in the mail today. Total of four coupons which break down as follows:

Replacements:

- One each for 7500, 15000, and 22500 miles - good for replacements of engine oil, oil filter, drain gasket; also includes free tire rotation

- One for 30000 miles - same as others, except also includes replacement of brake fluid, fuel filter, coolant, air filter, spark plugs (if recommended by manufacturer); also includes tire rotation

Inspections:

- The 15k coupon also calls for inspection of brake system, boots, axles, steering, suspension, parking brake and clutch operation.

- The 30k coupon includes everything the 15k coupon calls for, plus inspection of brake linings and drums, drive belts and cam belt, fuel system hoses and connections, tranny/diff lubricants, and AT fluid.

Each coupon has my name, address and VIN pre-printed on it. There are separate customer and dealer instructions...the usual “cannot be combined with other coupons” and “Present coupon...before service is performed”. Dealer instructions include how to get reimbursed. There is an interesting disclaimer on the back of each page stating that Subaru is not “liable for the performance or quality of the services performed by the dealer under this plan”....hmmm...not exactly a glowing recommendation...

I figure I will do one extra oil change in between, as I generally do that every 4k miles (dust and heat out here in the AZ desert pretty much require it). Still, it'll save me $100+. Can't beat that!

-KarenM-
    Craig-

Nice looking car! I hadn't thought of the Gold color, but after seeing your's it is a contender. Do you plan to tint the windows, or keep it as is?

Mark
    is a new color to both the Outback and Forester for '05. For the Forester, this color replace the previous gold.

It's a very subtle gold, and reminds me of a color that Chrysler used a few years ago that sort of changed color, depending on how the light hit it. I also think this same color (under another name) is available on the Saab 9-2x.

It's a great looking color.

Bob
    A few tidbits/gripes I have noticed about my new 05 Outback:

The clock/trip display in the dash is upward facing, and gets washed out by reflection from the windshield in many daylight conditions. They should reshape the display and/or give it a matte finish! This is in stark contrast to the wonderfully readable clock display in my WRX, which somebody clearly took the effort to hood off from reflections.

The driver's door pull is smack in the way of the controls. Yeah, you can still get to them but it involves an uncomfortable wrist motion. I remember Bob flagged this when we first saw pics of the new Legacy interior a couple years ago, and sure enough he was right.

White lettering on the dark silver console surface is hard to read in the daylight.

Parking brake lever pokes my right leg.

Much different front seat storage space than my previous Outback -- we're down to the armrest bin, the very small/shallow (Nav) pocket above the radio, and the door pockets. The previous generation Outback had a DIN pocket under the radio, a bin under the ashtray, and the coin drawer near the driver's left knee. Small things, but they were useful. I will really miss the DIN pocket for holding CDs. There is not really a convenient place for CDs in the new interior.

The new car has an actual cigar lighter and ashtray! They are very small and cramped, so this seems like a mixed message to me. I'd rather have a real storage pocket there. In fact, I could not fit the plug for my cell phone charger into that lighter socket! The socket in the armrest is very handy, however, and the armrest cover contains a pass through for cables. Nice idea.

I have more legroom and a better line of sight out of the new car (I'm 6'1"). Feels like a generaly better driving position in the 05 (the old car felt cramped at times). The seats are excellent!

The stereo sounds good at low volume, but it clearly adjusts the tone (minimizes bass) to prevent distortion at higher volumes. The result is that sound flattens out at higher volumes. This is the same behavior that drove me nuts with the radio that came in my WRX. I can compensate for this with my iPod, by putting out a stronger line signal (once I figure out how to *connect* the iPod, that is) but CDs will be a mixed bag as they all have different loudness levels.

The auto-dim compass/mirror vibrates with bass notes from the stereo. This was entertaining in my 93 Civic when I was much younger but seems unrefined in a 05 car that stickers for nearly $33K.

The design of the cargo area and underfloor storage compartments is much better in the 05 model, and I look forward to the day when I have to stash the cargo shade under the floor! The look of the cargo area is a lot nicer too with the various metal and chrome accents. This won't mean much when I dump bags of mulch in there, but it does give the car a nice upscale look which ought to impress buyers.

The added ground clearance over my previous Outback is very apparent, both visually and while driving. However, the new car handles better in every way so I think Subaru pulled off a major feat here. Kudos for their packaging and structural design that produced a lighter and less end-heavy car.

The car is extremely quiet, smooth, and muffled. You can tell that they built this into the design, as opposed to adding it to the previous generation when the H6 models came out. The new car is generations more refined than old one in this regard. Road noise and chassis noise are very well damped out.

I think I have already raved about the 5EAT, so no changes there. I do notice some surging/stuttering in the engine's power delivery, which comes as a result of backing off the throttle early (in order to stay within the 4K rpm band for break in). I think this is a reality with such a powerful turbo engine. I would get similar behavior from my WRX if I backed off the throttle.

This car is fast!! It is easily faster than my WRX in a practical way. I'd have to really wind the heck out of the WRX to get it going as fast as the new 2.5 turbo motor in the Outback -- you have to really want speed in the WRX to get speed. In contrast, the Outback XT and Legacy GT are just fast period, and do it in a much more relaxed and usable fashion.

My avergage MPG is now at 20mpg after about 320 miles of total driving.

They added cruise "on" and "set" indicators to the instrument panel, which satisfies one of the longstanding gripes of the crew. Think they lustened to us, or was it in the cards already? I like the new multifunction cruise control stalk a lot -- it puts all the cruise functions in one central place.

It probably goes without saying, but the new Outback looks great inside and out. My old wagon was a frumpy plaid shirt in comparison.

That's all for now, more to come later...

Craig
  • grove4grove4 Member Posts: 95
    Why we on on the list of gripes I will add that the dual climate control makes you turn both knobs all the time to keep the same temp.I think this was mentioned before but thought I would add it again.I really cant believe the car rolled out of production w/o someone going "hey,this is stupid"or somthing to that effect.I dont here anyone saying about the rain water coming in anymore.Thats one thing I never noticed myself.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The OBXT cargo area is longer than the FXT, but it's not as tall and the slant of the tailgate cuts off a lof of usable space. The FXT can fit bigger and bulkier items in the back without folding the seats, while the OBXT can't. It seems that every generation of the OB gets smaller and smaller with respect to cargo space - my '96 had 74 cu. feet, we're down to 66 with the current '05 model.
    Craig-

Interesting observations, please keep them coming. Everyone's obseravtions are very helpful to those of us who are debating on which model to wish for.

Mark
  • doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    After spending endless (enjoyable) hours test-driving the 2005s, reading this forum, and stewing about the decision, I've just about come to the conclusion that I'm ready to buy the Outback XT with the MT, although I'm still a bit on the fence between the champagne gold and the red colors. It'll probably be red. Before I pull the trigger, I need to decide if the subwoofer and/or the perimeter alarm are worthwhile, as many cars on the lots seem to have these options installed.

Many competing cars with motion sensors have on/off switches for that capability (I know the A4s do, for instance). Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the motion/shock sensor? And if not, has anyone tested out the sensitivity of the sensor? It seems that some alarms are so sensitive that merely driving by them in a parking garage triggers them. Another minor concern, given that I live in the PNW, is that the ferry system requires motion sensors to be disabled. Wave action seems to trigger alarms.

As for the subwoofer, has anyone done any comparisons with and without? Is it worth the loss of toe room under the driver's seat? Craig, you mentioned mirror vibrations. Does your car have the subwoofer?

Admittedly, these are pretty minor issues. But if these items aren't worth much, I'd prefer to not waste the money on them.

Thanks for any advice!

Doug
    The sales guy at my local dealer called HQ about this. They told him it would be available in August. Maybe it's different for different parts of the country???

-KarenM-
    Best thing about the Champagne Gold is...it's the same color as Arizona dust! My car never looks dirty until either I touch it or it rains :-)

-KarenM-
    Grove: You nailed one of the gripes I forgot about. In my wife's TSX, the driver's temp button controls both sides until the passenger hits their temp button or somebody toggles the "dual" button. That's the way it should be in the Legacy/Outback as well. Seems silly that I have to turn two knobs to set the temp when I am alone in the car.

Doug: I do not have the sub, but would like to add one to my 05 if it's easy to get to the back of the radio. We had a sub in my wife's old Forester and in my WRX, and they are worth getting as long as you don't expect to bomb neighboring cars with bass. As a low-end augmentation of bass for normal adults, I'd say the sub does a perfect job. It sounds good to me without being ridiculous.

I'm hoping I can take the sub out of my WRX before selling it and install it in the Outback.

Make sure you see the red in person before making any decisions. I was also going for red based on photos, but it was too much of a ketchup color when I saw it on the lot (the color chip in the brochure is not very accurate). Gold on the other hand, looked great and is very upscale.

Sam: while trying to load a compressor into the back of my previous Outback, I measured my wife's Forester to see if it would be any easier since I was running out of height. I expected the Forester to be taller, but it was not, at least not enough to make any difference. I eventually took the wheels of the compressor and got it into the Outback. I would have had to do the same to get it into the Forester. If the Forester is any taller, it's not by more than a half inch or so (I'm talking about the liftgate opening height which is what really matters).

Craig