Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kodervillekoderville Member Posts: 15
    Have you check out Acura of Concord
    I think they have a White with Parchment
    Im not sure on the price though
  • Options
    tsx06tsx06 Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone. It is obvious that the TL is more popular than the TSX if you happen to follow the posts between these two models lately. Is it because the extremely low cost of the TL that dealers are selling just around the invoice price OTD ($1,000 holdback and $2000 incentive)? I am wondering why this is not happening to the TSX. Is it because it is made in Japan and the delivery cost to the U.S. is keeping the dealers from selling below their invoice price? And there is no special in financing for the TSX, but TL is offering 4.9% APR 60 mo. where the market is at least 6%. BTW, I am in SoCal. Please advise.
  • Options
    mike072mike072 Member Posts: 7
    I got an internet quote of 36k for a TL type-S w/ AT from Keys in Van Nuys, CA. Picked it up last week. Its a great car! They just got the car in the day I bought it and the plastic protectors were still on the car. I wasn't sure if they would put wheel locks and mud guards on but they were on the car when I picked it up. I'm not sure if the summer tire cars are selling well or not. They said I got a bonus the car had summer tires and they handle great (stiffer then the standard tires), but I'm thinking they won't last very long. Got the windows tinted and had the clear bra put on.
  • Options
    bartolomebartolome Member Posts: 12
    Would that be $36k even ($36,000) including destination charge? Did you have any other fees (other than TTL) and could you list them?

That seems like a good price, one worth flying to CA for if it could be replicated.
  • Options
    hemanthmhemanthm Member Posts: 4
    Hello Moflo,

Can you please tell me which dealer in baltimore gave you that price. I would like to buy by this month end.

Thanks.
  • Options
    mi2kshopmi2kshop Member Posts: 19
    I am considering buying an 03 3.2TL with 44k miles from a dealer. I am aware that CR rates 03 trans at the lowest possible level, and that there has been a transmission recall on this car. As part of the recall the transmission on this car (one I am considering) was replaced couple of years ago. How have replacement transmissions held up on this car? Also, is $15k for this car is suspiciously low for a dealer to offer?
  • Options
    chaperoahchaperoah Member Posts: 30
    wow, that's a great price. This was an internet quote??
  • Options
    mandesonmandeson Member Posts: 20
    Did you get that in an email from those guys. I talked to them last week and they would not commit in writing. 36K is pretty good in my opinion at this time. Did you buy or lease? I understand there is a finance special that starts on Thursday.
  • Options
    mike072mike072 Member Posts: 7
    The email reply just said 36k + t/l. I thought they were lowballing me. A week later I was on that side of town on business, so I stopped in and they met the price and I bought the car.
  • Options
    sicom007sicom007 Member Posts: 46
    All

Multiple people have asked me where I got the prices for the TL with Nav.

$29,975+ TTL
    In Bay Area I got prices from Sunnyvale Acura (but they are sold out now) and do not have the white with Parchment anyways. I called Mike Harvey Acura and they said if I have an email from Sunnyvale (which I do) they will match it. I sent the email and they agreed but too bad all the colors on their lot is not something that I want. If anyone needs please send me an email and I can forward that email so that you can bargain with the dealer in Nor. Cal. BTW Stevens Creek Acura is sold out on 2006's and were trying to do a $1200 over invoice for a 2007. Pleasanton Acura said he can do $30,500 for Blabk/black but $31,500 for others. No dealer is willling to do a locate on a car that I want as they want to sell what is on their lot unless it is a 2007 TL.

I also got a quote from a person in Tustin Acura for $29,800+TTL. They too do not have a white/parchment. But have a lot of other choices. I will be going to LAX area for 10 days and hopefully come back with a TL with Nav.

For all others here is what the Tustin guy told me. The invoice on a TL with Nav is $32,875. There is a $1100 holdback anf $2000 factory to dealer cash to move out the 2006s so he is trying to clear his lot.

Hope that makes sense. I have email from both the dealers with the prices so if anyone wants to pricematch I can send it to the. Only caution is that YMMV (Your mileage may vary) depending on how flexible the dealer is.

Sorry for the long post and thanks to ther person who said that Concord Acura has a white with Parchment. I will be calling as soon as I finish typing this. Wish me luck (or rather my wife will be happy as it is for her and she wants the white on parchment and I want to save money by buying the 2006).

Cheers :)
  • Options
    hogriderhogrider Member Posts: 2
    Have you tried Elk Grove Acura? When I bought my 06 TL, they had tons of TLs of different colors. I also negotiated the price over e-mail. I sent them a link of a special (for one vehicle only) another dealer was having. Elk Grove beat the special by $300 with my choice of color.

Good Luck
  • Options
    dwinkdwink Member Posts: 14
    Hi Everyone. I've been looking at this forum for the last month and noticed that people have been able to land sweet deals for a 2006 TL with NAV. The best I could do in this area was around $31,600. Does anyone have any experience with dealers around the area with qoutes that are lower? I've seen others get the car for more the $1,000 less. Any advise would help. Thanks!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    Do not post e-mail addresses in the forums... Do not ask for, or offer, individual dealer contact information.

Rules of the Road

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dolfan5dolfan5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a car and just came back from the Acura dealership in Northern/Central NJ and looked at the 07 TSX and the 07 TL.

Here are the lease deals I am getting on each.

2007 TL w/o nav.

42 months
    10K miles
    $3,158.50 down OTD.
    Monthly payment is going to be $399 + taxes = $421 monthly

2007 TSX w/o nav

42 months
    12K miles
    $3000 down OTD.
    Monthly payment is going to be $366 total after taxes a month.

This is the deal being offered in conjunction with the current lease deal through American Honda Finance. Can I get a better deal elsewhere or through the Internet, or is this about as good as I am going to get?

Finally, if it's the best I can do, which car am I getting the better value on? I know this is TL forum, but want an objective opinion. I realize it's late on the night before Thanksgiving, but any response would be appreciated. I want to finalize a deal before Monday.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    Acurat or Geo123,

I have two more questions which I hope you can answer. 1. Why isn't it better to get e-mail responses which would be in writing? Or do I simply ask the Internet sales manager to shoot me an email with the quote? 2. I'm going to shoot for the navi. If the quotes come in as too much, or the selection is so poor, can I then call each back and say that I'm not interested in the w/o series or is that lame?

Nancy

Wish me luck for Friday AM.
  • Options
    zoom12zoom12 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to get a TL 2006 w/ Navi this weekend. The quote you got from Tustin sounds great. Can you send me your the quote from Tustin any other close quotes. Thanks.
  • Options
    geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    If possible check out the dealer's inventory on line. If they have that one car you are looking for then I think you can get a better price. Come with their cost which I estimate to be approximately $30,875. This includes Navi and freight but does not consider their holdback. Talk to the internet person on the phone and let his/her know that you are going to buy Friday and are shopping dealers. I believe you will get a better price verbally rather than in writing. If they are willing to take the $30,875 plus TTL then ask for a confirmation. If they are not willing to take the $30,875 tell them to send you their best deal in writing. Then shop their best deal with other dealers. (This is why dealers do not like to respond to bid requests in writing.) If no luck go back and offer him the $30,875 or whatever again.

All of this is assuming the dealer has your car in inventory. If not keep shopping someone is willing to take the deal.

Good luck Friday!
  • Options
    bartolomebartolome Member Posts: 12
    Would that be $36k even ($36,000) including destination charge? Did you have any other fees (other than TTL) and could you list them?

That seems like a good price, one worth flying to CA for if it could be replicated.
  • Options
    Just came back from the dealership this evening (Mike Harvey Acura, Bay Area CA)

Spoke to the ISM earlier in the day. He did not have the car but said he will do a dealer trade as long as I put in the deposit and did a pre-contract. Here is how it went.

Walked in around 6:30 PM. Met and did some small talk about weather & Turkey day.

Walked to the ISM's office. BTW there is an unadvertised 3.9% APR Acura financing on all 2006-7 Acura's from now thru Dec 2nd. I applied for that. He said it requires 710 FICO score. Kept my fingers crossed. If it did not work out I had a Capitol One Blank check thru Costco at 5.4% for 36 months.

Anyways he said it will take 15 minutes. I borrowed the keys to a new 2007 MDX and put in a DVD to watch so that my 18th month old son would remain busy till I did the deal.

He came back and said it was approved. Wanted to sell protection, rustproof etc. Politely denied, he insisted and then gave up. Walked to the Finance Mgr and she called a couple of local dealers and found the car for me. Signed the paperwork (pre-contract) with the right to cancel in case the car is not OK.

She tried to sell extended warranty and I denied as I have a quote from an out of state dealer for much less. Gave my credit card and she charged 3K as deposit and rest when I go back Friday afternoon to pick up. Overall great experience and out by 8:00 PM (Overall 90 minutes)

The price was $29,975 + TTL (includes wheel locks) with a total of $32,496.65 (Price+ 8.75 % tax + $45 doc fee + $8.75 Tire fee + DMV fees). It was a Alabaster Silver with Ebony Interior.
  • Options
    acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    I agree with Geo123 that you are likely to get a better price verbally than in writing. They don't want you showing a written offer to other dealers. I've never had a fleet manager renege on a price given by phone as long as it is clear what's included.

You can figure out the exact target price + TTL in advance (as per Geo123's example and sicom007's incredible deal) so it should not be a surprise. That price should include destination charge by convention. You can figure the out-the-door price by adding your state's sales tax rate plus an estimate of DMV fees. Honest dealers typically charge about $50 for doing the DMV paperwork. If you know in advance that you can't afford the navi, then just negotiate on the non-navi. If you decide you can afford it yet the navi selection is poor, then talk to them about non-navi.

Honda has a finance special right now--3.9% APR for up to 36 months, 4.9% for 48 or 60 months. Should help a bit with the monthly payments if you qualify based on FICO score. (But never, EVER talk to a dealer about payments until the price is negotiated!!)

Best of luck and be strong. You are not lame, you are their customer!! ;)
  • Options
    mandesonmandeson Member Posts: 20
    After talking to a few dealers in the SoCal area in the last week the best price I could get was $36K + ttl. I got somewhat of a written commitment from a dealer in the LA area but nothing was set in stone. The ISM at the dealer that I ended up buying from, South Coast Acura, told me that he would match whatever price I got elsewhere as long as I came in last night. I brought in what I had, including a printed page from this forum of what other people have been paying for their TLS's.
    After I got there I looked around for 5 minutes and picked the car that I wanted (Silver with Ebony/Silver interior). BTW they had almost 15 TLS’s which maybe also contributed to their willingness to sell me one for $500 over invoice. I then walked in and met with the guy and after couple of minutes of small talk he agreed to the $36K price. They gave me a fair price on my trade-in and I ended up financing the rest through my credit union. Overall a good experience as I was out of there in less than 2 hours.
  • Options
    gcapgcap Member Posts: 1
    What can I expect to pay for a 2007 TL w/nav? What are some of the quotes have people receiving?
  • Options
    mschoolymschooly Member Posts: 2
    Congrats, the ISM quoted me 31,200 over the phone for that same car. How's it drive?
  • Options
    I cannot give you the details unless you send me an email using the email tool at Carspace. Here are the rules

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I just picked up a 2006 TL with Navi AT tonight for $29,600.00 + TTL. Anthracite with Parchment interior. Total time in the dealership - 2.5 hours. Spoke with the ISM/Fleet manager. He was a straightshooter, no BS. Didn't try to sell me a single thing. Glendale Acura in S. CAL. Also got 3.9% for 36 months. Other dealers told me that the I could only get the special financing or the $2,000 cash incentive! This place gave me both. FYI - they have 4.9% for up to 60 months. Still a great deal!
  • Options
    dhodgedhodge Member Posts: 7
    I got my 2006 TL w/Navi yesterday...$33K OTD I love it...
  • Options
    vtdvtd Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new 2006 TL recently and have always done my own service. Can anyone tell me how to reset the oil monitoring system on the 2006 TL?

Thanks
  • Options
    chaperoahchaperoah Member Posts: 30
    Probably have to do it via the onboard computer at the OBD connection. Most likely it is under the passenger side dash. Just a guess.
  • Options
    twodomestwodomes Member Posts: 73
    zoom12, congrats on closing the deal. did the $29600 include delivery charge? santa monica acura matched the price but wants to charge me an extra $675 for delivery. might just go to glendale if they offer the financing and have an 06 tl w/nav black ext., parchment int.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Read your instruction manual! Instructions on how to reset the maintenance minder are in there.
  • Options
    rwynn34rwynn34 Member Posts: 2
    This forum has provided a host of information that has helped me a lot in finding a 2006 TL, so I wanted to share my recent purchase details.

I just bought a 2006 Silver TL without Navigation for $31,150 (TTL and protection package with tint included) at John Eagle Acura in Houston, TX. The sales person was very helpful...I called in with a price of $31,500 at another area dealership and they were willing to lower the price and provide 4.9% financing for 60 months (the Thanksgiving Day special) as well.

I would recommned anyone looking for an Acura in Houston head to John Eagle.

Thanks to everyone who posted their information in this forum...it's a great tool for buying a new car!

Lastly, a question, any thoughts on protecting the leather interior, some kind of scotch guard or something? Has anyone found anything that will provide additional protection to the interior.
  • Options
    Geo123,

I spent Friday and yesterday driving the '06 lexus after one more test drive in the Acura. The Lexus is beautiful inside; but there are too many tranny issues for me to think of buying one.

So tomorrow morning I will make my calls. I've decided to stick with the non-navi in order to save $$. What price should I be asking for or what is the "best" price I can expect to get which includes destination charges? I know what exterior color I don't want; and know that I want a light interior. It looks as if at least one dealer not too far from me has a number of TLs in inventory. If they agree to the price, what do I ask for as far as confirmation is concerned?

Now that I'm 100% sure of what I want, I'm getting excited. I hope I can pull this off. In the past I've gone in with a consumer's report with invoice, holdback etc. and gone from there.

I'm ready to put a deposit down tomorrow. I have financing arranged already; but would love to get their lower rate. I know I have the fica score to qualify.

Thanks again for all of your advice, and I mean "you" as in all of you.

I wish you could come along for the ride.
    Nancy

:shades:

If they offer the right price, do I take it right away, or continue to shop hoping for a better one? Do I then offer to come down and give them a check and sign the papers?

For someone who's built a house, refinanced mortgages, I feel totally inept at this. :blush:
  • Options
    mschoolymschooly Member Posts: 2
    Got my 2006 TL/Manual/Navi at Keyes for 33K OTD. Great buying experience!
  • Options
    booya73booya73 Member Posts: 2
    New to this posting world...so bear with me while I get my bearings.

I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to lend some advice on invoice prices for the '07's? Also, are there any incentives out there right now? Any advice would be helpful. Probably going to start the process this weekend. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    The invoice for the TL w/NAV is $33,623 including destination... No incentives on the '07 that I know of, though there are rumors of low APR financing available.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    OK, take a deep breath...

Invoice price on the 2006 TL auto non-navi is $31,054 including destination charge, per Edmunds.com. Subtracting the $2000 factory incentive gets you to $29,054 + TTL. There is also a 3% holdback, and they might be willing to give some of that up. Then again they might not. (Someone here posted an unbelievable deal on a 2006 navi that must have included a trade--the numbers don't work out otherwise.) If you hear a price that is anywhere south of $29K, you have a skinny deal there. You can also get the low-rate financing, for up to 60 months at 4.9%.

You should plan on negotiating the deal by phone with the fleet or internet sales manager. Internal politics can get sticky though if you have already dealt with a regular salesperson at a given dealership. As I said before, I have never had an ISM renege on a verbal price by phone. No confirmation really needed, just take good notes on the phone, but if they try to clown you around when you arrive to write the contract, turn around and walk. Once you hear the "best" price you can either grab it then and there, or phone a couple more places and see if anyone else will beat it. They do tend to lose interest after a period of time though. Try to negotiate on a car with no ups and no extras, that way you can compare apples to apples. You can always ask for some little accessories as a deal-clincher when you are 99% there, or buy them separately online. Again, watch out for surprises in the finance office!! Just say no.

2006 TLs are nearly gone so you may not have lots of color choices. Figure out 2 or 3 decent color combos in advance.

Shouldn't need any deposit, just sign on the dotted line and fly! Best of luck and please let us know how it all works out.

;)
  • Options
    lookingaroundlookingaround Member Posts: 13
    Any advice on who offers the best deals? Looking to lease an 06 or 07 depending on the deal.
  • Options
    Twodomes,

The $29,600.00 included the destination charge but not TTL. Another place that offered to match that price was Acura of Riverside. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have to give special thanks to Acurat and Geo123. Your plans were perfect. I wrote down Interent inventories last night. Picked a couple of color combinations I could live with and started calling this morning. My first call yielded me an offer of $29001, but not a color I liked. On my second call I found a color I liked for $28,999. I put a hold on that with a credit card deposit of $100. I kept going. One dealer who had one car left... not a color a wanted... told me that I wouldn't get very good service from him if I didn't buy from him.

Then I found a dealer who was willing to beat my lowest price. But thanks to you guys, I remembered to ask about the doc fee. This manager told me it was $299 and said it was against the law to change it! (This was a CT. dealer.) Then I wised up and re-called a number of dealers to check their fees (all of which were lower... especially in New York).

My last call was to DCH Heart Acura in Wappingers Falls, NY. Their Internet manager was the only person who had responded to my "on line" inquires a few months ago. She was not pushy. A month ago at my request, she double checked what I was asking for my Saab and encouraged me to keep trying to sell it by myself. She sent me a nice note for Thanksgiving not even mentioning a car purchase. Long story short... that dealership not only offered me the lowest price $28,759 +TTL, BUT they spent time searching around to find the exact color I wanted and were willing to trade an '07 to get me the exact '06 I wanted. Also got 4.9% financing. The car is due in tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm assuming all will go as planned and I will be driving my Metallic Anthracite with Parchment interior home on I 84. If that's so, I cannot recommend them enough. They were low key... didn't try and sell me any extras... offered me coffee/tea/cookies. Their Internet person is wonderful. I live about 40 minutes away from them. Well, worth the trip. $30,500 and change OTD. Great experience. :D
  • Options
    geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    Excellent!! They knew they were dealing with a very knowledgeable, willing, and able buyer and therefore, did not want to miss the sale. You have done your homework and hopefully the final payoff will be tomorrow or Wednesday!

Thanks, for a good post!
  • Options
    Congrats. You did great. Sounds like a certain dealer may have won a long-term customer too.

Just to show you how elastic car pricing can be, you just negotiated a deal for almost $3K less than the best I could do on an equivalent 04 TL just 30 months ago. Strong work!!

Enjoy the ride. You earned it. ;)
  • Options
    lhklhk Member Posts: 2
    I decided to buy a TL a few days back. I was directed to this forum when I searched on live.com. This has been the single most useful resource and helped me make the decision all the way to get the final deal. I spent two days going through the posts and was fascinated by this forum. I live in Seattle and noticed that it is hard to get as sweet deals as those from Cal or NY. Using the info from this forum, I was able to get the the car at 29550, which I consider it a fair deal (with some dealer add-ons). It is silver, which is my wife's favorite color. We love the car. Everything is just perfect.
    I also considered the new BMW 335, but the pice after adding necessary packages just put the car in another bracket. I am now glad I didn't go for the BMW. Today because of the big snow fall here in Seattle, it took me 5 hours to get home which normaly takes only 25 minutes. I saw so many BMWs skidded on the road and many were left beside the curbs just below big slopes. My wife got extremely worried during our way home. But the TL did extremely well, contrary to the comments from Consumer Report. Maybe it is also because we didn't get the HP tires.
    This forum has helped me a lot. The costco price is so off and I didn't bother asking for it. I thought at least I can write thing back to contribute to it. Thanks acurat and geo123.
  • Options
    stefystefstefystef Member Posts: 17
    Wow, that's a great deal! Great work.
    I was offered $29,600 for a 6-speed manual '06 TL, from a Westchester dealership but they didn't have the color I wanted (they only had silver/black and I wanted black on black). The Westchester dealership wasn't willing to trade the silver '06 for the color I wanted. Bummer because I was really excited about that deal.

Other NYC dealership had the color I wanted but offered $30,819. That's $1,200 more! ~sigh~ I asked if they could match the price or come down, they refused. I don't know where to go from here. I will go see the dealership this week and see what happens. I'm looking for the best deal, but I don't want to pay more than I should, considering it's the end of the year.

But you should be very proud of your accomplishment. Great deal!!!
  • Options
    joy5971joy5971 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I've been pricing Acura TL 5spd AT w/ Nav in the Atlanta area. Have an offer from a dealer at $30,874. This dealer also has a demo vehicle w/ 5000 miles, offered at the same price. I told him I thought the demo should be less, as it already has mileage. He asked what I would consider to be a fair price for the demo vehicle -- any opinions? I don't really know?! I've never bought a new car, and feel very unsure of the whole process! Is $30,874 a good price? That does not include tax, title fee, or doc fees, but covers everything else.
    Thanks for your thoughts -- this board has been helpful to me!
    Joy
  • Options
    jack01jack01 Member Posts: 14
    You did very well. As far as I remember, for a brand new non-nav TL, you posted the best deal ever in tri-state area on this forum. Congratulations and enjoy your new car.
  • Options
    jack01jack01 Member Posts: 14
    $30,819 is way too much if it is for a non-nav TL. Talking about NYC, a friend shopped for a 06 MDX in the City last month but couldn’t get a good deal. I took him to the North NJ dealer where I purchased my TL, and he left with a big smile. My suggestion is to shop around extensively, now at the end of the month, call every north NJ dealer; someone may trade that black car for you and give you a much lower price.
  • Options
    justalaguyjustalaguy Member Posts: 37
    Congratulations on your new car and also for getting through the snow, haha. I recently transferred from LA to Seattle a month ago, and got to enjoy Seattle weather at its best, haha.

My wife and I looked at the TL while in LA and liked the car a lot, but never did buy, but still like the car. Which dealership did you buy from? Was there still several colors to choose from on the 06's?

Larry
  • Options
    stefystefstefystef Member Posts: 17
    It is a Navi Manual Transmission for $30,819
    I guess I was so happy about the quote for 29,600 from Westchester, but the color was wrong (silver- I've done the silver car thing already). I contacted a couple of NJ dealers and the price for the Navigation Manual was about the same.

~sigh~ I was hoping to get an AWESOME deal, not a good deal...I have two days to make up my mind.
  • Options
    sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    My local dealer won't budge of $49,000 for the type s automatic. Seems like a lot more than you guys are paying in the US, even with the exchange factored in.
  • Options
    carpadiumcarpadium Member Posts: 6
    My criteria for a new car narrowed until I settled on an Acura with 30-50k miles, TL or CL, light exterior, in excellent shape. I looked at 1 TL and 2 CL's before finding the car I bought. The first TL was a smoker's car and the air freshener was doing a poor job of covering it up. One CL had too many condition issues like paint scratches and a lousy tint job on the back window. I made a pre-test drive offer on the other CL, subject to inspection etc. and the sales manager nearly laughed in my face, telling me my Edmunds price was lower than KBB which was "The industry standard." I thanked him for his time and left.

When I first saw the car I bought, I couldn't test drive it because it had suffered tire damage earlier in the day and the spare was on. That gave me time to research. I came back and told them I would test drive it if they would consider an offer of $16k for the silver ext./black int. '03 TL 3.2 with 49,300 miles. They were asking just under $21k. The salesman came back and said they weren't happy about it, but they grudgingly agreed to my price.

I test drove the car and found it to have the same wonderful power and handling I had experienced in the two previous Acura test drives. I then made it clear I was going to have the car inspected by a mechanic and made the arrangements. A couple of days later I got the report from the mechanic. Although not on CARFAX, the car had been in an accident. Their body/paint guy showed me the tiny tell-tale signs which included a very minor difference in gap between the tail lights and overspray in a spot where you had to lean over and twist your head to see. He also found a small amount of bondo and showed me how if you looked real close at the paint job, there was a spot where it was slightly splotchy. He then assured me the damage was minor, caused from someone rear-ending the car, and that it was not bad enough to cause tire wear problems or any other problems in the future.

I also noticed a few spots of minor rock damage on the windshield.

The floor mats looked like they had one month of wear, not 3 1/2 years.

The CARFAX showed the car had been leased to one owner, then sold at auction to the dealer.

The $16k I offered before all this was just above the Edmunds Private Party price after adjustments.

I probably should have tried to push the price down based on the window and accident evidence, but I didn't really feel they lessened the value of the car enough to make it worth dickering. The car was in excellent shape otherwise.

On I went to the finance office. I came prepared with a quote from warrantydirect.com for a variety of coverages and when they offered their own, I pulled out my quote and was surprised to find, after a few questions, that the dealer price was lower!

I decided to add LOJACK and a 4 yr/100k mi(odo)/$0 ded./bumper-to-bumper warranty.

After all tax, license, fees, I was out the door for just over $20k.

I drove the car over to the insurance company so they could take a picture and add it to my policy, then back to the dealer to have the LOJACK installed. Since the next day was Thanksgiving, I came back 3 days later to pick up the car.

I probably could have gotten a slightly better deal, but I am very happy with the car.

The only thing I have discovered after delivery that I didn't already find was a very minor scratch next to the temperature knob.

The dealer was Mel Rapton Honda in Sacramento, CA.

I really like the idea of making a preliminary offer before the test drive. I think it saves time and lets the salesperson know that you have done some research. This also takes a bit of the emotion out of the offer process. I never got the whole 4-boxes price approach.

Besides the windshield which is slightly worse than it seemed re: rock chips, the only expense I plan on for this car is replacing the stock audio system which is very decent. I plan on replacing it with a nav/DVD system from Pioneer which includes a backup camera option, amp and Boston Acoustics speakers including a subwoofer.