Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    lageeklageek Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    Wanted to let everyone know about my experience at Cerritos Acura.

One word, do NOT go to this dealership. If you can avoid it. Read through this if you intend on dealing with them. Its a long post, but I think its worthwhile for anyone who intends on getting a good deal and wants no lies and crap from the car salesmen. If after all your research, they do give you the same deal as elsewhere, go to them. BUT do not fall for all their crappy lies.

For the first time, I bought a car without contacting other dealers because I believed that Cerritos would usually give you the best deal. I fell for the classic salesman trap because I was a fool. But I dont want anyone else to be fooled because I was. I thought in this internet age, it would be foolish on their part to sell the car to a customer like that. But I got screwed. I traded in my car at a lower price assuming the 08's would not have a discount and they are giving me one. But after being made to believe (I dont believe I fell for that crap of "I am getting killed for giving you this deal", "I am selling you this at cost" and "This is a deal we offer no one else" etc etc) that I am getting a great price, I found out that my next door dealership was giving me 1100 dollars LESS on the 08's than the price they claimed as "cost'. So I lost money on the price, and lost money on the tradein. Learnt a very expensive valuable lesson this time.

My friend emailed them the same night via cars.com, and they offered her the same price as they offered me after " tough negotiations" and after talk about how they would never give this price to anyone else ever. And then came the 1100$ less than that price at other dealerships without even calling.

After I found out, I called the guy I was dealing with, and guess what I was told after all that? That sometimes, I should learn to take a hit in life(wow!!) and that I should just be happy with the car now. This is after all that great "customer service" talk. My calls were not returned for 2 days. After I finally got a callback, I was also told that he would talk to his general manager to see if something could be done. he did not have a word when I was talking and told him about all his lies. He would not have said that if he had not realised that I had figured he lied to me about everything. And then, after promising a callback(after he talked to his general manager), I dont get one and I call him myself again. I am then finally made to talk to the general manager, who refuses to even acknowledge that I got a bad deal(on the price AND the trade in on which I got killed, more than other people because I believed that I got a good deal on the 08) after I told him ALL the facts(which I will list below) and offers me a free tank of gas! This is after I get spiffed for over 1100 on the car and atleast 1500 on the tradein. A tank of gas!!! ALL lies. I actually decided to take the tank of gas and a free service from them, but then, I decided it is beneath me to even deal with them anymore.

Here are the lies they told me:
    1. No 07s with my color available at any dealership when they were. They went "inside", checked, and there were none in So Cal. There were THREE dealerships I talked to the next day that had it in stock. So all of their check was bull.
    2. The price they are giving me is a price they are getting killed at and they are virtually giving it away. This is after 3 hours of being there. Eventually, they offered a price 100$ more than mine to a friend of mine who emailed them via cars.com. And when I asked em about it, they said they thought she was a friend of their general manager's. via cars.com????? How can they even lie like that?
    3. Their cost for the extended warranty quoted to me was "cost"@1995, and then their finance guy eventually sells it to me for 200$ less. Lies again. Does anyone sell at below price? Hell no.
    4. They are the best priced Acura dealership this side of the coast. Lie again. I could get the 08's for 1100$ less than them at 2 dealerships. If possible, dont deal with Cerritos Acura or the Browning auto group. Or go armed with alternative offers if you still want to.
    5. We are "known" for our customer service at the time of buying the car and later. Once you are out of the dealership with the car and have complaints, you might not even be called back. The new guinea pigs sitting in the dealership to which they have to sell the cars get higher priority. Thats what I was told btw. That I was not called back because he was busy until 12:00 at night at the dealership.

In short, here is my opinion.
    1. Do not deal with them without finding out prices elsewhere.
    2. Their customer service post car-sale was appalling. No returned phone calls for 2 days after talking up their customer service to the sky. And after eventually calling me back and promising me another call, no call back because he was "busy" at the dealership. So a customer who bought a car before gets back in the list.
    3. I was told they checked for the 07's and no one else has them in stock. A big black lie. A LOT of the dealerships had it in stock AFTER I bought my 08.
    4. Do NOT believe their "This is my cost" and "I am giving you a big discount" crap.
    5. Find out from other dealerships what they have available.

The people I dealt with there are;
    1. Tony Packeer
    2. Micheal(Mike) Castellano. This is the guy who lied to me about everything pretty much.

And the general manager I talked to was:
    1. Rick Walker, who offered me a tank of gas, had no answers to my questions, but insisted I got a good deal even after all I told him.

I know you guys must me thinking I am a fool going and buying a car without finding out. Yes, I agree I was. But I dont want anyone else to be fooled by these folks. Save your money.
  • Options
    billikenbilliken Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2008 TL with Nav for 33,500, but also had a trade in. It's difficult to determine how the trade-in affected the sales price as there is always some give and take, but we rec'd a fair price for the trade in. Haven't seen many other responses from others by 08 Navis yet. Good luck!
  • Options
    bill1000bill1000 Member Posts: 38
    I just got an 2008 TL without nav for 32,050. Since the nav adds about $2500, your price seems like a good one. I shopped hard to get this price and could not get a better offer. I believe your price is about 300-400 over invoice, which is about as good as I've seen.
  • Options
    stevenmorstevenmor Member Posts: 13
    My local dealership (I live in the mid-atlantic) offered me a price of $33,200 on the vehicle. Any chance that I can get it any lower or is this as good as it's gonna get? Thanks!!
  • Options
    saini_grvsaini_grv Member Posts: 8
    Ok I had a pretty bad experience with Planet Acura, Downey CA. Try to avoid them at any cost.

They gave me a quote of 28,788 on 2007 TL base model. They made it very clear that this is the lowest they can go. When I finalized the deal with them they kept on increasing the initial quote, saying that they made an error in the initial quote and they want to charge 30,550 now !! They started complaining about how they were loosing money on this deal, and that they need to revise the quote now.

They just want to lure you by giving a competitive quote and then slowly try to increase the quote..

Anyway, I did back off from there, but they they sure wasted a lot of my time.
  • Options
    kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I feel your pain and anger. The lesson to be learned is "do your homework before you go shopping, and knowledge is the best shield against lies." TL-S is an awesome car, just enjoy it and take it to heart that you've learned your lesson.
  • Options
    oc2020oc2020 Member Posts: 14
    Sierra Acura in Alhambra. I still haven't bought my Tl-S.I am trying to sell my Pathfinder first. Any suggestions let me know. I have done soo much research and haggling that this is the absolute best price at any dealership in So Ca. You are right, Cerritos is the worst, along with Riverside. They try to switch the numbers on you. There are alot of 07 Tl's left. Do not let them tell you otherwise. I am a woman and they really thought they could pull one over on me. I almost cussed the lady out at Riverside for insulting my intelligence. They quoted me $34k and told me that was a great price! You have to stand your ground and know that you will not settle for any other price. They will sell to you, especially the 07's. There were some dealerships that said no they cannot beat the price I was looking for and I respect that.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Don't forget to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews page to write up your dealership experiences!
  • Options
    alicia4alicia4 Member Posts: 9
    I got the bridgestone 17in factory tires. I'm usually a goodyear person. before i got my acura i had a nissan altima. i did test drive a 06 bmw 325i sedan before i bought my acura and i was very impressed with the way the car drove and it seemed quieter on the highway. maybe i will get used to it. hey does anyone know if the brake dust on the rotors came come off have any of you had a problem with brake dust or rust around the rotors. my buying experience with the acura dealer wasnt a very good one maybe that's why i cant get used to this car i wish i would have went to another dealership.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what OCT's incentives are going to be for TL Type S? I was wondering if the $2500 dealer incentive will change and if there will be any customer cash incentives. Does anyone remember from last year if Acura provided customer cash incentives? :confuse:
  • Options
    unc1dmounc1dmo Member Posts: 2
    This past weekend I picked up my 2008 Black TLS (ebony/silver) (price included Destination- splash guards and wheel locks)for $34900....at local Chantilly, VA Acura dealer....(last Saturday of the month)...

Aside from taking most of the day( 10-4).... to close the deal-do the paperwork-prep the car-get full hands on run down on all electronics on the dashboard/steering wheel/navigation console...it was a smooth experience...
  • Options
    stevenmorstevenmor Member Posts: 13
    I bit the bullet and acquired a new 2007 Type-S. It's black with the taupe/ebony interior. The price that I paid was as stated above $33,200. So far I'm just loving this car!!
  • Options
    brywbryw Member Posts: 9
    Been away for a while...no just the the spoilers all the way around.
  • Options
    crysophyloscrysophylos Member Posts: 3
    Dido here. 2007 TL-S in Silver with ebony/silver interior. Also got mud flaps, trunk tray, wheel locks, paint sealant (whatever that's worth) for $34,400. Had no intention of getting a car until I made the mistake of test driving that beast!!

Got the car in Ft. Myers, FL
  • Options
    rexzyrexzy Member Posts: 7
    You mind telling me which dealer you got this from?
  • Options
    unc1dmounc1dmo Member Posts: 2
    The end of Sept...Dealers in the Washington DC area quoted/matched $33,300 for 07 TL-S (that included destination)......on 1st email reply...
  • Options
    krikzilkrikzil Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Phoenix and shopping for the same car. Do you mind telling me what your OTD price was in the end? I'm a woman and very leery of dealings with these dealerships and before I do battle this weekend, I want to know what to expect. Peoria Acura is the first place I'm checking out. Scottsdale Acura quoted me $34,298 via email so far. Thanks.
  • Options
    saini_grvsaini_grv Member Posts: 8
    I finalized the deal for my new 2007 Acura TL without Nav for 28,500, includes destination, protection Pack(Splash guards, wheel locks, trunk tray..), got the color of my choice. I researched a lot, and this was by far the best quote I negotiated.

It will be a while before it ships to my house, cant wait to drive the car :)
  • Options
    porchieporchie Member Posts: 50
    I know you didnt ask me, but I bought my TL Type S in July. I got an excellent price, $32975. The prices may be even lower now. The dealer I bought from was 101 West in Calabasas. I got the price originally from Power Acura in South Bay, but they didnt have the color I wanted. When I contacted Calabasas 101 West, they matched the price. It was a painless transaction. I love my car!
  • Options
    cyvadercyvader Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up a 2007 Acura TL with Nav for $31000, inlc dest in FF County, CT. Could I have done better? Maybe... but he gave me $1200 better on my trade than any other dealer and I didnt want to squable over a few hundred dollars. We did the deal in 30 mins - from test drive to hand shake.
  • Options
    james1james1 Member Posts: 3
    Well it appears I waited too long, I have been in the market for a 2007 w/nav for a couple months, and I really wanted the Carbon Metallic/Taupe. Of course now that this new incentive is out there, the 07's are disappearing fast, and according to a local dealer, there isn't a single 07 with my desired colors in the entire state of TX! Ahh well.. 32K was a good price, not sure what I'm gonna do now.
  • Options
    Would you budge on colors? I had to take mine in White, which wasnt in the top color choice on my list. Its hard to believe there are no 2007 TL's in TX...
  • Options
    james1james1 Member Posts: 3
    Yep, that's what I thought too. But I imagine the Carbon is the most popular color? Dealer here has one but with the ebony interior, which I don't really like. If I can find a Bronze/Taupe or Black/Taupe 07 I might take that.
  • Options
    That a pretty good price. I paid $34,100 out the door in PA for a 2008 TL w/o nav. That includes 6% sales tax, tags, and registration fees. Based upon your sales tax the price is pretty close. My actual car price was right around $32,050. I probably could have squeezeed a few more bucks out of the dealer, but I thought it was a fair price.
  • Options
    Just bought an 07 TL with Navi for $30,900 incl destination paid 33800 out the door. Black with taupe interior. Looks really nice. I think I did good on the price. I bought from Planet Acura in Downey and it was a pretty good experience.
  • Options
    borderdogborderdog Member Posts: 4
    Got a quote for 34,900 for an 08 TL w/ Nav. Good price, or wait??
  • Options
    Not a bad price at all, but I know people have gotten a dealer to bite around $34,500 for that car. It may depend on whether you live near a large metro area where Acura supposedely hits dealers for around $250 for advertising fees. $300 over invoice is about the best I have have seen. It depends on what your time is worth maybe...
  • Options
    Can you find a 2007 lying around? There is $2500 cash back from acura, which is making for some good deals. Try cars direct to locate a 2007... there is no difference b/t the 2007 & 2008.
  • Options
    ajg2155ajg2155 Member Posts: 4
    I negotiated a price of a 2007 TL with Nav tonight. The car is currently being driven by the Acura Office Manager and it has 3k miles. The most I could negotate was a price of $31,000 plus tax, tag, title and doc fees for an OTD price of $33,800. Please let me know if this is a great deal or one that I can walk away from. Thanks!
  • Options
    topdrivertopdriver Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    I got mine for 33,800 otd with 40 miles. Negotiate! They should take off 1k.
  • Options
    hicowhicow Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a base 2007 TL for $30,000 plus doc prep of $295. I checked a couple of other dealers that had left over 2007s. One had a base TL with spoiler, mud guards, rubber floor mats and body side molding. They insisted that $34,500 was the lowest they would go. Another dealer didn't respond so I sent another email after a few days. He finally responded by saying he was out of town and that I should just call someone at the dealer. With Acura sales down from last year, the end of the model year and a dated design, I thought the Boston area dealers would be a lot more aggressive.
  • Options
    grvsgrvs Member Posts: 1
    I got mine for 28,500 from Southern CA. If you can look around and dont mind shipping the car then I'd say that you can get pretty good deals in that area.

I live in TX and just got my car shipped, not only did I get a great price but TX didnt even have any 07 TLs left !
  • Options
    In So CA here are the prices:

2007 TL w/o navi 28,500
    tl w/navi 30,952
    TL-S 32,900
  • Options
    aravind99aravind99 Member Posts: 15
    Is this Out the door price?
  • Options
    slw2slw2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at a used TL and have a couple of questions, not sure where I should post them.

Thanks.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Are they pricing questions?

Just go ahead and ask.. If there is a more appropriate place, we'll direct you..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you Kyfdx...

I'm looking at an '04 Base 3.2TL 4D (has everything I want on it). It has 58,000 miles on it, Honda dealer in my town is asking $21,995. I live about 50 miles NE of Sacramento (CA). Do I have any wiggle room to negotiate with the dealer? Also, the dealer is offering a Honda/Acura factory warranty (extended) - should I take it or go outside the dealer for this. This is my first venture with the Acura.

I commute and am downsizing from an SUV to a sedan. I absolutely refuse to buy a new vehicle having been horribly burned in the past. I want something safe, gets decent mileage and has a good reputation. I have found that with these and Honda's, but like (really like) the Acura's better. Appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Okay.. now that I told you to post here, I'm going to tell you to post somewhere else.. :surprise:

Try posting in this discussion: Real World Trade-In Values. You can copy/paste your original post.

We have some experts there, that can tell you the wholesale value of the car, and by extrapolation, a good selling/buying price for you.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    firehaz1firehaz1 Member Posts: 16
    I have 3 dealers all offering the above for $33,127 plus TTL. Quite a few color white around, some black, blue, red and silver. Looks like a great price. Any thoughts. One dealer said he has a carbon color on their demonstrator. Said he could save me more money on that. Since thats my preferred color how much lower than above price should I be able to get? Thanks.
  • Options
    ajg2155ajg2155 Member Posts: 4
    I was able to negotiate a price of a 2008 TL w/ Navigation for $36,900 OTD. This would include my sales tax at 7%, tag, title and doc fee. Is this a good deal? My other choice is a 2007 TL with 2k miles for $33,800 OTD.
  • Options
    kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Please spare us the chore of converting your OTD price to price before TTL, which is how prices are generally reported and compared in this forum. So, kindly follow the rule so that we can evaluate your potential buy accordingly.
  • Options
    aravind99aravind99 Member Posts: 15
    Can some one please share their buying experience in New Jersey area? What could be the best price? Thanks,
  • Options
    ribossi1ribossi1 Member Posts: 8
    First, I would like to thank you guys here at Edmunds, without you, I would have paid Sticker Price not knowing that I could negotiate to a little over invoice.

Second, my wife and I live here in New Jersey and we were looking to get 2 cars, a MDX for her and a TL for me. She went to the MDX forum and found Springfield Acura and we spoke to Calvin. He told us that he would K.I.S. our deal (Keep It Simple) LOL...and that's what he did. $34,500 + Tax 7% Jersey + Doc. Fee $189 + Etch $188 + Prep $400 + MV $389 + NJ Tire Tax $7.50. And that was that.

I'm so glad I came on here and found out how to negotiate a good deal. I would have paid $36,940 found out later I could have gotten it cheaper, then bang my head against the wall for the next 46 months...ha ha ha.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity what did you get the MDX for?
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I'm so glad I came on here and found out how to negotiate a good deal. I would have paid $36,940 found out later I could have gotten it cheaper, then bang my head against the wall for the next 46 months...ha ha ha.

Put on your helmet!

$34,500 is not a bad price (Assuming this is an 08), but what are these other fees?
    I understand that taxes are unavoidable, but what's the Etch and MV? :confuse:
    Also, never pay for prep fees... that's BS.
    Some dealers won't budge on doc fees, and $189 isn't too bad, but I always try to avoid these "fluff" fees.
  • Options
    Well we did a 2 car deal and we got a MDX Tech with only fees down, 42 months, 12 k miles for a Super Aggressive Price of $630 a month (according to Calvin at the dealership?), lol.

But we've been checking through the MDX Lease page, as well as this one, and we did very well on both cars. No matter how hard you haggle, the dealership will not lose money...they're like Atlantic City hotels, the house will win.
  • Options
    We went over those fees with a fine tooth comb and the Etch is the ID# number that dealerships now Acid Etch into all of the windows for anti-theft, it's optional. :D

The MV is motor vehicle which you get for 4 years here in NJ, you have to pay that or opt for a year MV, and go through registration every year. :sick:

And Calvin showed us the guys prepping the vehicle as well as other cars, it's a 150 point check. I have no problem paying $400 to the guys in the back, they detailed the cars nice, I won't pull any food out of their mouths. ;)

So all in all we did really good.
  • Options
    Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger now on a my deal or wait another month.

'07 TL/S auto $33,137
    '08 TL/S auto $36,350