Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Check out the latest from the Edmunds Editorial Team
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Tuesday, March 19 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    First turn the NAV off (easy). I bought loaded Bizzard pearl 06 Limited with everything sticker About 40K for about 34,800 plus TTL. I got them to throw in Bluetooth, Mudguards for free. And Loaner cars forever, in the we Owe form in writing. The NAV is good, voice activation is awesome (150 commands). I had daughter type them on one sheet of paper and had it laminated at Kinko's $2. The seats are a little soft compared to my BMW, but it tracks straight and is powerful and luxurious. My friends Lexus LS430 is smaller than the Avalon, he was impressed!!! First tank of gas 33mpg...unbelievable!! Glad I didn't buy the Lexus Gs300, or the little IS350, just too small for the money. I am only missing the ipod connectivity (Blue tooth looks promising, and backup camera (this is an accessary). This is the best buy for the money hands down
  • kvsnaidukvsnaidu Posts: 4
    fmayberry: I bought at Ourisman Fairfax Toyota.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 362
    The Michelin MXV4S8 in size 215/55/17 fitted to your Avalon is designed for a max COLD pressure of 35psi, as stated on the tire wall. You run a real risk of a blowout running at 40psi. At high speed on a hot day, the pressure could reach as high as 45psi.
    Overinflation causes exessive wear in the middle of the tires anyway and compromises the structural integrity, so you aren't saving anything.
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    Thanks Alan: I heard from other's who said the same thing. So, I did check with 3 other Michelin dealers and they told me 34 PSI is OK and will provide optimum ride and gas mileage. Appreciate the reply!
    Bob
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 362
    Amazing what some dealers tell their customers without realizing that they are endangering lives. I am running Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's at 33psi. Max psi for this tire is 50psi but I don't want it to ride like a truck!
    Enjoy your Avalon.
  • theazlittheazlit Posts: 4
    Greetings Rodc2
    I just purchased a 2006 XLS with the 7 year warranty from Glen Burnie Toyota and you are right on target; the cost was $980

Love the car...... very sweet and actually a nicer ride than my Volvo Wagon I purchased in Sweeden

Thanks theazlit (Ted)
  • theazlittheazlit Posts: 4
    Greetings Rodc2
    I just purchased a 2006 XLS with the 7 year warranty from Glen Burnie Toyota (Maryland) and you are right on target; the cost was $980

Love the car...... very sweet and actually a nicer ride than my Volvo Wagon I purchased in Sweeden

Thanks theazlit (Ted)
  • twnmomtwnmom Posts: 1
    I know this board is for new car sales, however, my family just purchased an '05 Avalon XLS w/navigation, multi disk CD, sunroof, etc... for $28,000 + TT&L. Miles were a bit high (18,000), but thanks to this board, we received the 100,000 mile warranty for $980. The original price quoted was $29,995. Also forgot to mention, with the $28,000 we are having XM installed for free. Just wanted to see if you all think this was a good deal?
  • tpalmer1tpalmer1 Posts: 19
    What was the MSRP on the Limited purchased in Fairfax and what dealership? It looks like you got a deal and half on that one. I may contact those guys right away.

I am in the Tidewater area of Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach area)and am looking to buy a new Avalon Limited equipped with remote starter, headrest DVD, upgraded cruise control and the navigation system. I'm not interested in the 18" wheels or special edition package. It looks like the MSRP on what I want is about $40,000+. I appreciate the input on the downsides, etc., but like others, I think I want one of these.

Does anyone have any experience with Toyota dealers in the Tidewater area? I don't mind going to Fairfax, especially at the price mentioned above ($35,000) for a well-equipped Limited. However, I'd like to stay local for warranty work, etc., plus the assurance of having a local person that can be held accountable if I have significant problems with the car. I've bought other cars over the internet, including a Corvette recently, with no problems, but if the cost is similar, or even within $500 of what an out-of-the-area dealer will sell for, I'd prefer to stay local.
  • Well I was quoted 34K for a 2006 White/blk Avalon Touring and invoice price was (I believe) right about 30K, and was wondering if anyone in Southern California (LA county) bought/or known anyone that have received any good prices. Was planning on buying one summer or fall of this year.

Thanks
    Suave Tequila :)
  • msd9702msd9702 Posts: 2
    Last week we purchased an 06 Limited in the Richmond area with every option you can get except the headrest DVD and 18" wheels. Paid $500 under invoice. I would suggest to your local dealer to match or better yet, beat that price. I bet they will. So far I have nothing bad to say about this car. Love it!
  • I've been looking for the right Avalon for over a year. (I wanted one without a Moonroof for the extra headroom and they are hard to come by in Maine. I guess it's all that sunshine we get here.)

Following some advice on this forum, I checked for AAA approved "No Hassle Pricing" Dealers in my area. I found one who said that he would find a vehicle matching my request for $750 over invoice. Well it took 6 months and some effort on his part, but we now own a "Desert Mica" XL without Moonroof. I would have liked other options like stability control and heated leather seats, but they weren't available in my area.

I was shown the actual invoice and there was the expected advertising charge ($350), and Floor mats, wheel locks and fuel. That's it.

It also identified some "below the line" Additional dealer Profit items (Reserves) which lead me to conclude the dealer made an additional $800 or so on the car, But I paid the agreed to invoice + $750

I'd recommend the AAA option.
  • hudleyhudley Posts: 5
    Hi Im thinking about purchasing a new 2006xls also. What did you save $670 on?
  • I wasn't the one who posted that message, but I believe that poster was talking about saving money on the extended warranty.
    Bought mine loaded, loaded (no backupcamera, or Sat radio) everything else...35.4K also got free loaners forever
  • jcooper1jcooper1 Posts: 3
    Hi.
    I can't give the salesmans name or my e-mail address on this site, but what I did was send Stone Mountain Toyota an e-mail listing exactly what I was looking for and asked for a price quote. The internet salesman responded, they act like the internet price is lower than a going in the front door price, specify in your e-mail you want the out the door price.
    Good Luck!
  • jcooper1jcooper1 Posts: 3
    Hi rodc2
    I went to the website and clicked avalon then 2006, then mudflaps and got black as only color, please help. I have blizzard pearl.

Thanks in advance
  • rodc2rodc2 Posts: 26
    Go to "trdparts4u". On the left side of the screen in the yellow area open "Avalon" under "Shop by Model". That will open up to year groups. Click on "2006". Then open the 14th item down in the white area nearer the center of the page titled "Accessories>Mudguards". The first item Listed will be "Color coded mudflaps FRONT 2pc set-(2005 Avalon) Blizzard Pearl" for $33.26. Part #00012-40589-11.
    Ten items down you will see the REAR Blizzard Pearl 2pc set for $33.26 as well. Part#00012-40589-21.
    Note: The part description says 2005 Avalon, but don't worry, it fits the 2006 perfectly as the body panels and paint are the same on both models. My post #874 gives my experience with installation. I remain pleased with the fit and function. Hope this helps.
    Rod
  • rodc2rodc2 Posts: 26
    RE: What did you save $670 on?
    ANS: Toyota's Platinum 7 year/100,000 mile/0 deductable warranty. See post #862 for specifics.
    Rod
  • byebye Posts: 10
    Your experience is why I will not agree to buy a car at a quoted amount over the dealer invoice unless I can see the invoice first, and then make the decision. I want everything up front, before I agree to purchase or order the car. It seems that a lot of dealers that use this type of sale do not want you to know what the final cost will be until after you have agreed to buy the car at a quoted amount above their invoice. The main problem with this type of sale is that some dealerships will dealer install or add additional high profit margin add-ons to the car and to the invoice. These items, as you found out, will run up the total cost of the car and you pay the additional cost even though you might not want the items on your car. If they will show you the invoice first and agree to sell you the car at a certain amount over the stated invoice, then you can make an informed decision. Just my view and experience. Bye
    That's what I did, went in Sunday Morn. With dealer and told him I can't buy this car..I like it. I have no Loaner, and I will only pay X over invoice. He showed me HIS cost on his computer (did not show holdback). Loaded Avalon was Limited was 34K and change... This was a high end dealership where JM puts on extras. I walked out and went to lunch..called and made him throw in Bluetooth and loaners and I would buy the car. He said OK...I have new BP Limited see it on Toyotanation.com
  • Hello Everyone,
    I have a 2006 Avalon Limited and would like to know if there are parts available that you see on the Avalon Pursuit such as the wide fender flares or the rear wing with a brake light? The fender flares would be the most helpful because of those who open their car doors and hit your vehicle in areas other than in the side door moldings.......
    Thank you so very much for your help,
    Barry
  • byebye Posts: 10
    The 05 and 06 Avalons do not have body side moldings as a standard feature on the car. It is my understanding that they can be added to the car as a manufacturer installed option or the dealer can install them for an additional charge. I have not seen any 05 or 06 Avalons with the Toyota body side moldings. Do you have body side moldings on your 06 Limited? If so, how do you like them and how do they look on the car. Thanks. Bye
    They look great--and they work!! I also got the color matched door edge guards. I didn't get the color matched splash guards--I got black--I figured just another body part to paint and with all the road trash being thrown against them, in no time they'd look bad. I wrot Toyota and said a $39,000 car SHOULD have body side moldings standard--I looked at the TL--same story--dealer add-on. They'll get our $$$ one way or the other!
  • tightendtightend Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy a Limited. The dealer says there is no holdback. Did it go away in March?
    He also said Toyota gives no perks to them for end of month or now end of quarter sales.
    Maybe no cash perks, but I'd have to think that higher sales at key points help the dealership and they have an interest in maximizing sales right now. I'm a cash buyer. I am being quoted about $900-1000 over invoice of about $32K with mats, VSC, and Laser Cruise.
    Any tips? thanks!
    Tightend: There is a holdback--tell him you'll bet him. Holdback is about 3% of MSRP--that's why they say they'll seel the car for "dealer invoice"---they know they have the holdback! here's what I'd do----contact "all" the Toyota dealers within 200 miles--not sure where you live---I live in Missouri and I contacted all of them within a 3 hour drive. Make sure they know you're BUYING NOW----tell them "BEST PRICE WINS MY BUSINESS!!" Also--you can negotiate the cost of the extended warranty--about $1650 they'll tell ya for the 7 yr 100K miles policy---tell them $970. There are Toyota dealerships out there--look in past Forums that will sell for that price. I love our Limited and know you will also--especially if ya do your homework!! Plenty of help in these forums! Good luck--BTW--get the body side moldings--don't get Nav--unless you're a computer genius--I'm sorry i got it--not user friendly.
  • hudleyhudley Posts: 5
    Hi I just purchased a XLS but didnt order the side moldings..after reading your comments...now I feel I will have regets...why you suggest it...I also got the navigation system...probabaly won't use it but just wanted just to have it :)
    Hundley: You can still get them---they're a dealer installed item. I think they look great. As for the Nav--good luck!!
    Bob
    Similar to my package, got this price but then got them to throw in Mudguards, Bluetooth, and loaners forever
  • cliffkcliffk Posts: 1
    Any ideas on how to buy fleetail (in Canada) without belonging to specialized workplaces?