Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    whowho Member Posts: 1
    Buying a Volvo XC90
    2.5T
    AWD
    Premium
    Convinience
    Climate
    Versatility
    Metallic Color

Location in Pittsburgh, PA.

MSRP: 46000
    Price: 36200 + tax

What do you think? Please post your comments
  • Options
    fairyfolkfairyfolk Member Posts: 1
    Hi! My local dealer (I'm in South Florida) has a few 2006 2.5T certified preowned volvos that have just under 10,000 miles on them. Because they are 2006 models, I'm having difficulty figuring out what a good price range would be for these vehicles. The one in particular that I'm interested in has 3rd row seats, a sunroof and leather interior, so I *think* it has the premium & versatility packages. What do you think would be a good price? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Deb
  • Options
    shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    I have been reading the forums since the beginning of February to educate myself on prices, potential headaches and get a general understanding of what owners are saying about their cars. This site is terrific. When it came time to negotiate I was well prepared.

I thought I would share the super deal I got this past Saturday on a 2005 leftover demo in south Jersey.

2005 XC90 V8
    - Convenience package
    - Touring package
    - Climate package
    - black sapphire metallic paint
    - just under 800 miles
    - scheduled service for 3 yr/30,000 miles included

MSRP: $50,895
    Paid: $37,100 before Tax, title and license (no documentation fees because I had XPlan.)

I added a tow hitch w/wiring harness (installed) for $600.

OTD: $37,700 before TTL (no doc)

Price paid was over 27% off MSRP.
    :shades:
  • Options
    garfieldkinggarfieldking Member Posts: 2
    We are considering buy a XC90, either 2.5T or V8. I know there is some rebate will end 5/31. And 2.5T will be dropped 07.

So my question is right now is a good time to purchase 2.5T. I see some of you really got a great deal (i.e. $9,000 off MSRP).

Also struggling 2.5T or V8 (you guy know the gas price today.) :mad:

Also stuggling about Benz ML350.

I am in Bay Area, CA.

Thanks!

BTW, this forum is really helpful! :)
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Its a good time to buy an XC90 if you want some choices.
    The V8's are in short supply, people don't seem to be turned off by the price of gas on that car.
    The rebate may rise a little on the 2.5T, then again it may not.
    If you wait you may not get the color or equipment that you want.

The ML is only available as a 5 seater and is way overpriced for what you get.
  • Options
    amg61amg61 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone have the current money factor and residual values for the XC90 2.5T for 36 months, 12 and 15K miles. Thanks. Also, is there truth to the fact that there are $3500 incentives and possibly $5000 off for leasing through independent banks and what does that mean??

Thanks.
  • Options
    rich1910rich1910 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2.5T and a dealer offered me a demo with climate, premium, versatility, AWD, 6-CD with a List of $44,355 for $39,865. I figure the Invoice is $41,127.
    This doesn't sound like a good deal compared to what I'm reading on other posts ($8K & 9K off list, new). There was no mention of incentives, rebates. How can I determine true cost to have a negotiating position? Should I just send out for internet quotes to figure out the market? Appreciate any guidance.
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Both XC and ML are excellent choices. I'd compare the ML with XC90 V8. According to Car and Driver and Motor Trend, the 0-60 on ML is under 7.5 sec. The XC90 2.5 0-60 is...sad. Of course, this is pure personal opinion.

Don't forget XC will have a style and engine update this year. The XC looks much better after the style update.
  • Options
    amg61amg61 Member Posts: 18
    Besides these questions, does anyone know about some lease deal at about $369/month with $1800 down on a 2006 2.5T with options????
  • Options
    nycinncnycinnc Member Posts: 9
    Thinking about getting a XC90 or SRX. Do you think the V8 is the better alternative. I was thinking about a V8 with Touring and Climate Packages, possibly Convenience. I've noticed several people on this board were getting prices $8-$9K off list. The dealer in Charlotte, NC was offering about $4k below invoice, or less than $7k off MSRP. Anyone had experience getting substantially more off for the V8? I'm willing to travel a few hours to get the deal if necessary.
    Also what do people think of the SRX vs. the XC90?
  • Options
    ruoffruoff Member Posts: 4
    Received the initial quote of $553 per month with $3,483 (in tax and fees)to lease the 2006 XC90 V8 AWD detailed below (3 yr 36,000 miles). I was told they were discounting the Total MSRP by +-$2,000. My sales tax rate is 7.375%. Should I be getting a better deal?

MSRP $46,400
    Added Options $3,320
    Destination Fee $695
    Total MSRP $50,415
    Magic Blue Metallic $475
    17" x 7" Anteaus Alloy Wheels with 235/65/R17 Tires N/C
    Graphite Leather Seating Surfaces N/C
    Climate Package
    ·Heated Front Seats
    ·Headlamp Washers
    $675
    Interior Air Quality System (IAQS) $175
    Dual Screen Rear Seat Entertainment System $1,995
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    If you want to drag race, get a motorcycle, not a SUV...
  • Options
    sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    Live in the Washington DC area.

Received an internet quote for a 2.5T AWD with Premium, Climate, Versatility Packages and GPS Navigation System. List $46,910, Special Internet Price $39,499 down to $38,999, if I get the Volvo financing.

This is not the 9-10k off I have been hearing about, but does not seem too bad either.

Also, how much should I pay for a 60 mo/100k mile warranty?

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Keep in mind the XC with typical options has MSRP runs $40k+. Not to drag race or anything, with that price, I'd expect more performance.
  • Options
    sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    Received a decent estimate to purchase a XC 90 from the dealer. But then I asked the salesman how much would it cost to extend the warranty to 5 year / 100 mi, his response was 2,500 - 3,500 depending on deductible!

Heck the LR3 quote was 2,000. Which do you think will cost less to maintain?

What should a 100,000 warranty cost? :surprise:
  • Options
    louveelouvee Member Posts: 23
    Hi all, I'm in NJ, just outside of Manhattan.

I'm looking for a new 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD fully loaded. I see all the good deals people here are getting. I priced the car here at Edmunds. Came to MSRP $52,375, invoice price $48,055 and TMV price $48693.

Just how low do you think I could go? We'll be paying cash, so we hope that works in our favor.

If I can't get the deal I want for a new, I'm curious about a leftover or slightly used 2006 (under 10K miles) or pre-owned, either 2006, 2005 or maybe 2004.

I know it's a lot to ask, but we just started shopping and want to move quick.
  • Options
    How on earth do you get a 2.5T to $52k?
    At that price you are better off w/ the V8!

Paying cash is not in your favor at all.
    1 the big incentives are for leasing
    2 dealers make money on finance and leasing.
  • Options
    Not sure how I got it that high.

I went to the pricing section here at Edmunds and the Volvo website. I pretty much selected every option.

Base price - $36,075
    Premium Package - $2,995
    Navigation - $2,120
    Versatility - $2,100
    DVD - $1,995
    AWD - $1,775
    Convenience - $1,295
    Xenon headlights - $750
    Climate - $675
    Premium Sound - $775
    18" Alloy wheels - $750
    Wood steering wheel - $350
    2nd row booster seat - $200
    Air quality system - $175
  • Options
    I checked out a few XC90's yesterday. Both are 2005, silver pretty much fully loaded (except DVD and NAV).

One is the T6, with 8K miles, certified (6yr/100K) asking price $35999.

The other is a V8 with just 20 miles, considered new (or leftover) with a 4yr, 40K warranty, asking $39999.

I'll probably be able to get either price down further. Since the gas mileage is pretty much even for these two, I'm not sure which to go for.

Any ideas what prices I may be able to go back to them with? If the V8 came with the 6yr, 100K, I'd grab it. Perhaps I can get them to give me that?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Get the V8 if you can
    Real world gas mileage is much better on the V8.
    So is the performance.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've now ruled out the T6. I guess the other option would be the 2.5.

Do you think I can get him down on the V8 to $35,000?

Or possibly change the warranty to 6yr/100K?
  • Options
    If the V8 is a new car, no way.
    Dealer would lose his shirt.
    Might be able to get him to throw in a warranty though.
    The CPO warranty is not available on a new car, but a VIP warranty would be.
  • Options
    Thanks.

He called me today and I offered 35K. He spoke with the manager, who turned it down.

I'd be happy to pay $40,000 total, which I guess would make my offer around $37,000 to $37,500.
  • Options
    Just a follow up. I told him we were going to shop around and thanked him. I said we'd keep him in mind.

Last night, after 8:00PM (when they close) he called me at home to discuss possibly buying a new 2.5 for around $38K. I said I'd think it over and get back to him today. Depends on what's included in that price. I'll find out more today.

I'm considering that possiblity, but I'm also thinking about upping my offer on the V8 to $37,500. Still want to get out the door under $40K.
  • Options
    chilchil Member Posts: 4
    Wish you best of luck. Please keep us in the loop as I'm planning to buy one of them, 2.5/V8. I live in connecticut and starting to shop around this weekend.
  • Options
    Well, I thought they would bite at $40K out the door. Sales tax in NJ is only 6%. Anyway, they would only go down to $42,700 OTD. Haven't figured out what that comes to in price, since I'm not sure what the other fees are.

Are the fees part of the taxable amount? Do they add the price + fees, then compute the tax?

Off to a few other dealers.
  • Options
    carhockeycarhockey Member Posts: 4
    What are the options for the V8 @ $42,700...that seems like a really good deal.
  • Options
    Actually, it's pretty loaded. Has climate, touring and convenience. Just missing DVD, NAV, xenon, stuff like
    that. It's nice. It's a 2005, with just 20 miles on it. But not certified. Only 4yr/40K.

The reason I'd like to get a lower price is because at another dealer, I found a similar vehicle (with xenon) with under 6K miles, certified 6yr/100K, asking $37900. Sure it has more miles, but the warranty is much better.

I haven't even discussed this one with this dealer yet. I think I could get this one out the door for $40K.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I would rather get the one with 6K miles for $37900 and 6y/100K than one with 20 miles @40K and 4y/40K warranty.

The car is not even "broken in" at 6000K. It is in its very prime.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    I'm leaning that way as well. I'm going to look at it this weekend.

Do you think the reason the 1st dealer won't go lower is because it's still a 'new' car. He had to pay invoice (or thereabouts) for it and he doens't want to lose too much. Where as the other dealer most likely got his is a trade and maybe he lowballed the guy who traded it in. Therefore, he has a better profit margin on it?

Just curious.
  • Options
    Louvee, if you live in north NJ (I hope I got that correct) you may want to consider expanding your dealer search area. I purchased a very well equipped (no DVD; no navi) 2005 XC90 V8 with under 800 miles for $37,100 in South Jersey (see post 1054). I added a hitch for $600 so my OTD price was $37,700 before TTL.

A dealer will not want to keep a 2005 XC90 on his lot for much longer. He/She should be willing to negotiate into the $37K-$38K range.

Expand your search area and you might get a better deal.

PS. The V8 is extremely smooth. I recommend it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm in North Jersey.

Any idea when the 2007's come out?

What is the beakdown on fees? Tax, Title, license, etc?
  • Options
    Volvomax has indicated the 2007 XC90 would not hit showrooms until August.

As you know, NJ sales tax is 6%. NJ dealers are required to charge only actual fees for tags, title and registration (no mark-up). The NJDMV fees will be around $300. I don't have the paperwork with me right now but I can check my paperwork for you. It will cost more if the prior vehicle is of a different weight class (ex. passenger car) than the XC90.

Doumentation fees are dealer specific. Be sure to ask how much they are before finalizing your purchase. The discussion threads are full of the manuevers dealers attempt with these fees. Many people have negotiated the amount but others have indicated the dealer will not budge on this fee. They do this by preprinting the fee amount on the form. Be informed.

I did not pay doc fees because I used the Ford X-Plan (supplier discount program) but I think they were around $150. I'll confirm all the numbers when I pull the paperwork.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I think your guess is as good as any... It sounds plausible.
  • Options
    carhockeycarhockey Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what the base model pricing will be for the 2007 model?
  • Options
    First off, its an I6, not a V6.

We should have pricing in the next 30 days or so.
  • Options
    Using the cars VIN, is there anyway online I can get the actual window sticker or a breakdown of what options a particular car may have? Does CarFax do this?
  • Options
    All the VIN will tell you is make,model and engine and the factory the car was built in.
    You can contact a Volvo dealer and give the VIN to the service dept, they can run down the equipment on the car.
  • Options
    Well, I did it.

I chose the 2005 XC90 V8 with 5,800 miles and a 6yr/100k certified warranty. It's Silver, with Graphite leather. Climate, Touring, Convenience, Bi-Xenon Headlights.

Car price is $37,500. Minus $4,500 for my trade (1999 Dodge Intrepid ES), brings me to $33,000. Tax in NJ at 6% is $1,980. I'll find out the NJ registration fees tomorrow, then I'm out the door at slightly over $35K.

We pick it up Wednesday.

Thank's to everyone for the quick responses and help. It's much appreciated.

P.S. Just an after thought - Any idea if I can pick up the iPod adapter cable and the BlueTooth cables made specific for the Volvo much cheaper than Volvo wants to sell them for and install them myself?
  • Options
    The Ipod cable won't work on the XC90 anyway.
    You need an FM Modulator.
    As for the Bluetooth, I doubt that any stereo store will want to attempt to install it.
    Even so, I think that some software downloads from Volvo are necessary to make it work.
    Bottom line, you just spent $35k on a new car, if you are going to get it modified do it right.
  • Options
    chilchil Member Posts: 4
    I recently got a quote for XC90 2.5T for $40000 which includes,
    AWD
    Primium pkg
    Versatile pkg
    Climate pkg
    primum sound
    DVD but no navigation.

You guys think its a better price? I got it from Danbury, CT.
  • Options
    drjosedrjose Member Posts: 12
    I am ready to purchase an XC90. I was thinking of the 2.5T, but from reading the forum, it seems that gas mileage in no different. I have seen good deals that will expire on 5/31. Since the 07s come out in August, I was thinking of waiting till the 4th of July weekend to make the purchase. I just love the Ocean Blue edition, but the price is about 10k above what I feel comfortably spending. Should I wait till July and see if the Ocean Blue edition goes on a "fire sale" ???
    Jose
  • Options
    The Ocean Race version is strictly a V8.

I would not expect any radical changes the the incentive package for that vehicle.

If you want an Ocean Race, and you are leasing get one now before the residuals change.
    If you are buying, you can wait if you like but the price probably won't change much.
  • Options
    I have seen a couple of Ocean Race Blue in the California Valley area with 5,000.00 discounts. Has anybody seen better discounts in tha area ?
  • Options
    needaxc90needaxc90 Member Posts: 3
    Hey I am interested in a 2006 xc90 and retail is around 45k what should it be bought for. awesome drive.
    thanks

Curtis. Texas
  • Options
    if retail is 45000. 2.5 what should I buy a 2006 for.
  • Options
    I have been doing research and until the end of today a lot of dealers are selling the XC90 8 cylinder for 8000 to 8500 off MSRP here in California. The Ocean Race Blue can be had for up to $ 4,000.00 under invoice. See the website of Pleasanton Volvo. I have been keeping my eye on their inventory and it is not moving well. I plan to buy mine at about the 4th of July. I am hoping prices will have dropped, if not, they will be at the current prices. The 07's come out in August I believe.
    Jose
  • Options
    Just a correction. The Volvo sale goes until 5/31/2006. Who knows if the Volvo to dealer $ 3,500.00 will continue. Jose
  • Options
    briduisbriduis Member Posts: 1
    Just paid 35999 for 5cyl AWD w/ premium and climate pkgs. was best deal after shopping around. was this a good deal?
  • Options
    where did you get this deal .

Curtis, Texas