Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Super duty - Continued III

Comments

• Options
    rnewmanrnewman Member Posts: 33
    You will probably have your build date later today or tomorrow. I had the same thing happen last week. On last thursday I went from clean and unscheduled to serialized, on friday I had my first build date and eta, this week I've been pushed up a week. good luck.
  • Options
    smccarthysmccarthy Member Posts: 31
    Check out www.bullaccessories.com. They produce a 'pop-up' bed hook that sounds just like what you want. They retail around here (Colorado) for about $30 per pair. Click on the link labeled FORD racing. I think the picture they show is on a SD - has the plastic rail cap on it. They look nice and best of all - they get out of the way when you don't need them. Good luck!
  • Options
    lewaclewac Member Posts: 151
    Don't make no sense. Rnewman's been moved up a week as our's has been moved back. and Rnewman's config & ours is nothing alike so it's not "grouping like kinds" or anything like that. just hope we're not delayed any longer regardless of actual reason. will start checking VOPC a little more often.

Gtvrdik... b4 you can determine which truck you want you need to determine primary usage, your driving style, preferences, etc. you can read my past posts on this for some ideas. as trucks are same price (for this deal) you may want to consider the psd from a fuel economy standpoint (but that isn't the entire issue as maintenance is significantly higher on it). also... is not a "new" truck. don't wait too long though, as these are all "hot" trucks (you may wind up having to order one).
  • Options
    qstjohn43551qstjohn43551 Member Posts: 10
    I have also purchased chrome bed hooks that set above the bed. A rubber base expands to hold them in the rail. As I recall they were about $5-10 apiece, but I think I like the ones that smmarthy pointed out a little better since you can get them out of the way easier.
  • Options
    crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    Thanks for the info guys!!! Will look at all suggestions made.....
    Had LASIK surgery today.....monitor is kinda blurry and I don't know if I am spelling everything correctly......so I'll see ya (hopefully better)....tomorrow!!!!!
  • Options
    baybearbaybear Member Posts: 18
    In the new catalog the options do not show the five spoke wheels that I have seen. Have they changed anything?
  • Options
    Several posts back focks were asking about a protectant for leather. I have used "Clearcoat" a polimer protective coating for leather and vinyl from "COLOR-PLUS"

http://www.colorplus.com
  • Options
    I have used this on several Mercedes restorations and it works quite well. Easy clean-up from Mc. Donald's, Burger King etc. (for kids, animals, all of them).

RE: "Ordering"
    checked five local dealerships, all wanted $500 above invoice; found small town dealership 60 miles away;bought for 1% over invoice.

Y2K F250 Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, PSD, auto,ESO,island blue, ETC.,
    Ordered 9/7/99
    No DORA from dealer,(no allotment as I have learned on this site, however dealer said 12 weeks, after 7 weeks had VIN with build date of 11/8/99, called VOPC build date 11/1/99, called on 11/1/99 said that it was released from the plant
    ETA week of 11/21/99

CAN'T WAIT my son is driving me crazy

and he is typing this
  • Options
    pdwadepdwade Member Posts: 1
    Ordered Y2k F250SD, XLT, 4x2, 5.4L,auto, Island
    Blue on 9/18 and it came in yesterday-11/4.

My salesman originally told me 6 weeks and after
    reading some of these post, thought he was pulling
    my leg. Went to dealer today to check it out and
    salesman told me he was about to all me.
    Having the sprayed-in bedliner put on.
  • Options
    mthmmthm Member Posts: 4
    I have noticed quite a few F-250 SDs that appear to have front end sag. Is this true or just my imagination. The new ones at the dealership don't seem to have this problem. Did Ford fix the problem or should a person order the heavy duty springs for the front end?
  • Options
    bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I think naturally, the 4x2's have a slightly lower front end.. I've heard someone mention that they got their 4x4 to sit level. I wonder if it has something to do with the engine choice... The PSD is a beast, both in power and weight..
  • Options
    jraskejraske Member Posts: 131
    Same thing happensd to me, My creation date was week of Nov 1, delivery week of Nov 22.
    That was changed about two weeks a go to Build date Nov 8, delivery date Nov 29.So far that still stands, will find out this week .I am getting A F350 PSD
    You mentioned higher maint for the PSD whats this about? I heard the the PSD was low maint
    Thanks for any info.
    John
  • Options
    porkyporky Member Posts: 83
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I'll admit it, I'm too lazy to go back and look!!!

Any Pro's and Con's???

I live in Washington State and don't get a lot of snow in my area. DOT uses very little salt in there clean up work here --- mostly sand.

The truck is toooooooo big to fit in my little garage ( Crewcab Longbed) so it will have left outside in the weather (RAIN) until I can build a carport to cover it and my trailer ( a couple of years away ).

Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    hmarkgrafhmarkgraf Member Posts: 5
    I too live on the west coast and for my money I would NOT undercoat your truck. I know it is hard to think of your baby sitting outside in the rain, but it's just not worth it. If you really want to protect your truck, take the money you would spend on undercoating and go out and purchase a good powerwasher. Use that on the underside of your truck every once and a while. Not required every washing, but at least 4 times a season, depending on how much off roading you do. The beauty of this plan is, you can do more with your powerwasher than just wash your truck!

Just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    GOOD POINT!!!!!!

I'm a toy freak and have been wanting a power washer for some time.

Showed you post to the wife and she asked if I was'nt the author.

Thanks for your opinion!!! I also noticed that I'll have to proof read my posts a little closer!! My mind is faster than my fingers!! ("so it will have left outside in the weather")Sheeesh.
  • Options
    "Showed you post" GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    "was'nt" GOOD GRIEF!!!! I give up!!!
  • Options
    jraske:
    The PSD requires oil changes every 3k/4k miles just like the gasser's. However, you'll use a case of oil (12qts) for every oil change as the crankcase holds 15qts. The oil filter is also about $10 as well. So each oil change with the PSD will run ya over $40 if you use Shell Rotella-T oil as the real die hard PSD folks do. The fuel filter needs to be changed every 6mo's or so. The antifreeze mixture should be monitored/checked with test strips every 6k miles or so.

So, the PSD does need to be maintained just like a gasser.. However, the PSD will outpull any gasser, and probably give you 250k miles or more before you have to do any serious work, whereas the average gas engine would need some work before that time.

Porky:
    IMHO, I think your better off with the power washer option.. The undercoating doesn't help the truck when its sitting in your driveway (or garage). Also, now you have space in the garage to keep the other toys like powerwashers, welders, air compressors etc, since the truck won't be using that spot..
  • Options
    I was driving by the ford dealer today and I spotted a F350 with trailer tow mirrors that looked different. Sure enough they were the teliscoping versions. I checked them out and they are cool.. I'm glad I ordered them on my truck (eta 13 December). Retracted they look great and they don't hang way the heck out there. Out they sure look like they will be great for towing. Also I got my VIN # this week. Hopefully the waiting is almost over (ordered 27 July 99)
  • Options
    For trucks a power washer is a must have. I've had one for 3-4 years know. Once you get one you'll be power washing everything: the tractor,truck, car, driveway, picnic table, lawn furniture, the house, the dog . etc. I can't imagine not having one. One thing that I did to mine that is nice is I used hydraulic quick connects on the hose, machine and wand for quick pick up when I'm done with the machine. One important note for those where it gets cold in the winter. Don't forget to bring your presure washer in when the temperature approaches freezing. There is a little bit of water that remains in the pump housing when you are done and it will crack the head if it freezes.
  • Options
    The idea of a presure washer is looking better all the time!!! Now - all I have to do is convince the wife!! (I'm sure she'll read this post later -- HI HONEY does't a power washer sound like something WE NEED!!!) JUST GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!
  • Options
    gossamargossamar Member Posts: 106
    Okay, I might as well throw my .49 worth in. I do agree that a pressure washer is a nice investment, especially if you live outside of town and do not have access to a wash station. I have yet to make the investment, but here in central ILL., there seems to be one of those "Super-Wash" stations at every corner. However, the only time I use them is during the winter to blast off the salt residue from my vehicles. Then it is a quick 2-minute drive home to a heated garage to dry it off.
    For the undercoating thing, I did have mine undercoated/soundproofed at my local ZIEBART store. The only difference between undercoat and soundproofing, is that the soundproofing is put on thicker to help minimize road noise. As stated above, I live in centrall ILL., and the road crews love to use SALT, and LOTS of it. That is one reason why if you ever drive through ILL. the roads suck. I think they have some unwritten rule that unless it snows more than 2-3 inches, SALT is the method of choice for clearing roads. Plus, it helps darken the underside of the truck and makes it look nice. Oh-well, that is my .49-cents on the issue.
  • Options
    lotsofloserslotsoflosers Member Posts: 1
    When I ordered my F250 SD with the PSD, fleet manager recommended the HD suspension. He stated that due to the weight, the front end would start to sag in a few months. So I opted for the HD front end. I am going to install an after market front bumper with a winch when it shows up.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    whamm1069whamm1069 Member Posts: 8
    I just received bad news from the dealer yesterday! I ordered a 2000 sd 250 super cab with the V-10 on 08-14-99.the info I received yesterday was that Ford is not making V-10`s for the super cab, but they were making them for the crew cab. They allocated 30% for the crew cab and 0% for the super cab. Has anyone else received this info also. the manager told me he talked with the zone Rep. and the rep told him that FORD MOTORS are focusing on giving the V-10 production to the new Excursion. The Manager showed me the paper work so I feel this is legit. I had to change my order to the V-8 to have my truck pulled for a build date.It has been 12 weeks now and I am going to start raising some *h@t with Ford Motors for making me wait all this time for my V-10 and not telling the dealers what is predicted for sales. The kicker is that the dealer told me that Ford is offering 500.00$ to individuals like myself for waiting and not getting what I originally ordered.I am planning on demanding the price of the upgrade to the V-10 from the V-8 600.00$ times 2 =1200 plus the 500.00 which ford is going to offer=1700.00 The hell with that its going to be rounded to the nearest thousand 2000.00. Yes I know 600.00 is not invoice but that is going to be my demand.if anyone has received similar info. please post.I can wait for my big toy but this is something I never expected to hear from a major company that owns Volvo,Mazda,Mercury,Jaguar,and Aston Martin to make consumers like myself not get what they want.Maybe I am over reacting; All I want is what I ordered.If anyone can calm me or post any similar info PLEASE DO!
  • Options
    tom18tom18 Member Posts: 89
    I'm back, several posts ago I was told of the 6 to 8 month wait for the Lariat pkg on an F350 sc long bed 4x4 v10 The rural dealer said anyone who is getting config will have to wait and produced a letter from Ford. (People in this group said to look elsewhere) The dealer said if other dealers tell you different ask for $10 a day for each day past the date they give you and ask for it in writing. Since that time two city dealers have confirmed the wait. I have been busy so have not visited other leads. Someone suggested Mangold Ford in my general area. I live in Milwaukee, WI -Mangold is pretty deep in Ill. - long drive if wait is shorter - will check. It seems that until the market drops for people willing to dish out the dough needed for a big truck, Ford is in the driver's seat. Guess I'll have to take another look at GMC or Ram. I did get a call from Ford customer service after visiting a local dealer and I did express my disappointment for such a long wait on such a priced vehicle.
  • Options
    The allotment figures are very different for every dealer.. So,it could be your dealer has no allotments for SC's and probably a low allotment for V10's in general.. You mention how much $$ your going to ask from the dealer, will this be causing the dealer to be selling under invoice? It can be done as there's an additional 3% they can go (under invoice) before it starts costing them money, however it's rare for this to happen..

I've not heard of the $500 Ford compensation, this sounds like the dealer trying to keep a sale.

You're valuable to the dealer, because if he cant sell certain types of trucks, his allotments for those will continue to be low..
    Some general questions, (he may or may not answer)
    How many SD's is he allotted this month.
    What % of those can be V10
    What % of those can be V8 (5.4)
    What % of those can be SuperCab, (although I didn't know this was an allotment category, I know CrewCab is an allotment category).

If you switch to the 5.4L, what is the expected turn around time.. Also, did you get a DORA from the previous order?

If there are other ford dealers in the general area, you might want to check them out..

Tom18: Good luck with your dealer hunting. From what others describe, I think you can find a faster dealer.. Others have waited for 5months to get their trucks, and said it was definately worth the wait. What was the form on this 'letter' that the dealer showed you? Was it the allotments page or something different?
  • Options
    zrustzrust Member Posts: 16
    Y2K Red F-250 Lariet, CC, V10, 4X4, 4.30, auto, power TT mirrors (44E) ordered in Greeley, CO. on 10/15/99 and was told 8-12 weeks (yeah, right). Obviously still showing "clean and unscheduled."

Anyone have any experiences with the AMERAGUARD spray in liner? I'm interested in it because it can be exactly color keyed with the truck color. Also looks to be fairly gouge-resistant.
  • Options
    paull1paull1 Member Posts: 65
    Sounds like you're dealing with the wrong dealer. My Lariat F250 SD V10 4X4 short box was ordered on 9/20 and was built last week. Your dealer must have allotment problems, and if so you may not see the V8 for some time either... I'd shop around,, you may be able to get a V10 quicker. A good dealer should have you one in 6-10 weeks. As far as the V8/V10 switch, I've driven them both, that's why I ordered the V10.
  • Options
    jraskejraske Member Posts: 131
    To bad about your V-10. Before you take a V-8 haveyou thought about the PSD? Depending on what you intend to use your truck for it may be the better choice, I have herd that they dont have good power for hauling campers , pulling trailers, fifth wheels ext, I know this is a expensive option but what the heck its only money right?
    The important thing is that your happy with your beast, you wont be if you always have to cuss your truck because it doesnt have the power you need. Believe me I know the feeling.
    John
  • Options
    The presure washer I have is a 1800 psi with a 5 hp I/C engine. It's on the smaller size, but is very nice and mobil. For general purpose cleaning of equipment it is plenty powerful. With more power I'd be concerned about stripping the paint off of my stuff. I also have the adjustable nozzle which is really a nice feature. Basically you just turn the outershell on the nozzel to go from a wide fan pattern to a narrow beam.
  • Options
    chrispalchrispal Member Posts: 35
    I checked the VOPC today and my build date is still the week of 11/8 but my "arrival at dealer" date was changed from the week of 11/22 to the week of 11/29. I heard from the dealer last week that there was a rail car back up in KC. I'm guessing that's the cause of the delay. (Ordered 10/16: F350/PSD/6SPD/4X4/158)
  • Options
    My truck according to VOPC has 'arrived at the ramp'. I thought this meant it was at the dealer dropoff point. (basically at the dealer)
    When I called my dealer, he said, nope, we don't have it yet and claims he was just at the drop off to pick up 12 trucks, but mine wasn't one of them. I asked him to recheck his computers for the current status and get back to me..
  • Options
    gtagta Member Posts: 7
    Why in the world does anyone buy a truck and get it with bucket seats. Dont people know the split bench and the bucket seats are the same except the split bench can be used as a bigger armrest or a seat for an extra person. Somebody tell me what the deal is.
  • Options
    The 40/20/40 has the center console that when up is a seat, when down is a console/armrest.

I think bucket seats have a different permanent center console (which is deeper?) and there is a small foldable armrest built on to each seat.
  • Options
    sbondsbond Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a V10 F250 crew cab on 8/6/99. The truck was released from the plant to "convoy carrier" on 10/9. The VOPC status has been the same for weeks with an expected delivery data of 10/29 (already past). I called the VOPC per my dealer's instructions and was told that thier lot at the plant is log jammed and that there is a shortage of railcars. VOPC analyst could not give me a delivery date. Some lucky owners had thier delivery date pushed out a month because thier truck was re-routed a western storage lot to ease the overcrowing at KTP.
  • Options
    lewaclewac Member Posts: 151
    rNewman... thanks for that info. not in market for one now but it's definitely "on the list"

gta... we ordered the buckets because we also ordered the crew cab & have no need to transport > 5 souls. our primary reason for ordering them is that you get a "permanent" console & some additional comfort that comes with that seat design.
  • Options
    zrustzrust Member Posts: 16
    2000/Red/F-250/Lariet/CC/4X4/V10 - I too went with the buckets because the seats felt more comfy to me. Tried both kinds. But I forgot to look for a cig. lighter jack (powerpoint) INSIDE the console. Does it have one that stays hot with the ignition off? Sometimes I like to charge my phone while the car is parked at work during the day and would not rather advertise that its there. Also, I've heard that a laptop fits in there, too, so would be nice to charge it up while hidden away.
  • Options
    tom18tom18 Member Posts: 89
    called Mangold Ford today and visited a local city dealer - at Mangold I talked to Cal - read post #455 after the call so didn't know about Bruce Fitzgerald or Tom H. referral- Cal said would check things out and get back to me later in the week - that is one long ride if I go in that direction - at the local dealer I was first offerred 1K off on a $34,500 listed truck then almost 2K - way off the benchmark of $500 over invoice - like they would have to go down another $1700 or so - I'll try some more dealers later in the week - any info on how sales tax works when out of state purchasing - Wisconsin in my area is 5.5% last dealer with way over price claimed 2 to 5 month wait on my configuration - I'd probably at best gain a month for an extra $1700 - a no brainer. Starting to think about a GMC with 4 doors - seems like Ford has too good a thing going - wonder if they are losing folks like me are they losing others - 6 to 8 month wait doesn't seem like a buyer's market- too bad - oh Bess around here you don't make a deal unless you sign on the dotted line and put down some good faith cash so I certainly have no DORA because I am still looking to make the deal with a signature. Well tomorrow is another day!
  • Options
    scottj198scottj198 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at a 2000 F250 SD CC SWB V10 3.73 XLT MSRP $34,065. The truck is on the dealer's lot and someone backed out on purchasing the truck. What is the best that others have purchased similar V10 equipped trucks for lately? What is the real world MPG that I can expect with the V10? (13-12Highway? & 12-10City?)

Thank you everyone I value your input,

Scott
  • Options
    Folks who order their trucks and wait 10weeks to 20 weeks to receive them are usually able to make deals around $100 to $500 over invoice.. (check this edmunds site for the invoice prices). I bet some would think paying $1000 or more over invoice might be worth getting the truck without playing the dealer search/waiting game, which you will do if you want to order a V10.. So if your NOT in a hurry to drive a truck away today, pick your price, and go to the dealer and let him know that you will buy it today. BUT, be prepared to politely walk away if the deal isn't good to you..
    I think your MPG expectations are reasonable..

You've found a rare bird, (unsold SD w/V10 on a dealers lot)
  • Options
    whamm1069whamm1069 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the post.First of all I was at 800 over invoice.It would bring me way under invoice for what I was going to ask.I have decided to go to another dealer with a allotment for what I ordered. I did not realize the paper work he showed me was only for his dealership,I thought it was for all dealers.I mentioned my situation to a co-worker and he gave me a dealer that had a record sale last year of 68 vehicles sold in one day. He called the dealer for me today and the salesperson told him if you are on a waiting list already to stay on it. Now I am in for a long wait again.I do not want the V-8, so I am going to have to drop my original dealer.I am going to call that dealer my co-worker told me about tomorrow to see if they can get me the v-10.It seems they have a good allotment.the only bad thing is that the dealer is about five hours away.I am going to call local dealers also.I wish I knew about this allotment procedure before I made my order.
    I have received the dora from my original order.My priority statis was 10.
    jraske,I am going to be towing a fifth wheel,but I really cant make that investment for the psd.I am at my limit already.like I was telling tom18 I am going to stay with the V-10 so I have to start searching for another dealer with allotment for what I want in my area.Just one thing I cant believe is that the dealer left me hanging when he basicly knew what his allotment was.I will keep you guys up to date.Thanks,Wayne
  • Options
    Did anyone find out what "arrived at the ramp" means? I noticed this in an earlier post (#451 bess)
  • Options
    dave86dave86 Member Posts: 13
    "Arrived at the ramp" is supposed to mean that the truck has been offloaded at the rail head and is waiting to be loaded on a vehicle transporter for delivery to the dealer. Read previous posts for crazyelvis' experience of trying to get his new truck from the "ramp" to his dealer's lot. Sometimes the truck can sit at the ramp for a long time. The Super Duty trucks only fit on the top or back bottom of the transporters, and my understanding is that the transporter drivers get paid per unit delivered, so if the choice is fitting on two more compact cars or one Super Duty truck, guess what usually happens.
  • Options
    Just talked to a HUMAN at the Ford consumer info number. She told me that my unit had been shipped to a "ramp" (could not tell me where), had been unloaded, and was waiting for transport to the dealer. ETA still unchanged @ 11/22.
  • Options
    My dealer also told me that 'on the ramp' means its waiting to be put on a truck for the final leg to the dealer.. In my case the are shipping directly from Kentucky to Raleigh NC via truck, so my ramp is at the factory..
    My eta remains at 11/13. Its like waiting for x-mas when your 12..
  • Options
    Thanks dave86... Does anyone know where the rail head for delivery to the east coast is? I'm in Rhode Island and am having fun chasing this thing. (I read the crazyelvis posts early on)
  • Options
    crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    That seems like a very high MSRP for the truck configuration you state....My 00 F250 SD CC V10 SB Lariat 3.73ls.....MSRP on the window sticker was 31,100.....and I bought it for 26,400 plus tax and destination....For 34,000 I would think you could get the PSD and a 4x4........CHECK AROUND!!!!
  • Options
    bfriesenbfriesen Member Posts: 13
    I ordered a 250 ps CC Lariat 4x4 on 9/30 and it is due 11/15. The MSRP was about 39,500. I negotiated to 32,800. I guess I'll find out if this is true next week.
  • Options
    bfriesenbfriesen Member Posts: 13
    I ordered a 250 ps CC Lariat 4x4 on 9/30 and it is due 11/15. The MSRP was about 39,500. I negotiated to 32,800. I guess I'll find out if this is true next week.
  • Options
    jaybird52jaybird52 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how to decode a VIN number?
This discussion has been closed.