Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Yes, I did mean I like it better when the sales person does not go along for the ride (don't you hate it when you read you comments later and see the typo's...I left out a word and a letter in another word).

The Infiniti and Lexus dealers are in separate buildings but on the same lot. It was much easier at the Lexus dealer to take the car for a solo test drive than the Infiniti...same owner but different managers...my test driving experience was over a year ago at these dealers, so things may have changed.
  • Options
    lordbaronlordbaron Member Posts: 11
    I just spent the afternoon hanging out at my dealership working on the GPS functions. What I have accomplished so far is the DVD functioning as earlier described...and yes, for passenger use. In addition, the NAV appears to be normal for factory default, but there is an idea that involves either a "temp" speed sensor disconnect. The GM's car at the dealership has a different firmware loaded, one that is older than what I have, and this firmware is not locked, thus allowing functions such as scrolling through all menu items (none greyed out) and multiple points of interest, not just the top 5.

There is some features that are different, and I am compiling this list before I allow them to "downgrade" my firmware.

This has to be done at the dealership, and will not ever be upgradeable, since this is the only "ENGLISH" version that was not locked.

As far as hidden codes...everyone at the dealership has assured me that the exist, but they cannot get them.

I will post more once this has been accomplished. Until then, I am not even positive that it can be downgraded without losing something.
  • Options
    I agree that this should NEVER BE DONE BY THE DRIVER.

I did this because I travel a lot with my family. My kids are in the back playing their game, and my wife or I (whoever is the passenger) use a laptop to watch TV. This is a nusance in a car, not as easy as the suburban, because of the space constrains. There is no room for the laptop bag, charger, and laptop, especially when you want to put it away and take a rest.

Now, for complete saftey, I am actually working on a dual purpose plastic visor..this will accomplish several things.

1) Interchangeable for DVD/NAV Use.
    2) DVD use will shield viewing of screen to limit/reduce visibility to the driver. I feel that this is necessary to even allow the passenger to watch, otherwise it is illegal in the US
    3) The NAV will have a glare shield..think of baseball cap lid, to help with viewing of nav.
    4) I don't know if this will work, but I wear poloraized sun glasses, and the screen is not visible with these. I am playing with a polarized layer that should solve the problem with these glasses...I have not completely figured this out, but for those that wear poloarized glasses, this is a must.

Anyway, Sorry to start a potential flame...I am not advocating law breaking, and that is one reason I did not mention the dealer, because I too was shocked, and question the legality of both the warranty issues, as well as liablilty. Once I make my shield, that will be the first time I use it. Until then, DVD is for rear video only.

Lord Baron
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    Thanks for the reply.

I'd be a little leery of a firmware downgrade. There's an awfully good chance that some last minute bugs were discovered and fixed in that firmware upgrade.

I know how very appealing it would be get full functionality without a toggle switch, but imagine how disappointed you'd be if you can't reverse the downgrade and later discover, eg, that some of the nav functions or MP3-CD capabilities are broken.

The switch, on the other hand, if well placed, could really be perfect.

Of course the ideal would be for them to get those hidden codes.

Pete
  • Options
    gogglespiasanogogglespiasano Member Posts: 28
    Courtney11.

I think you have the math about right. The tires for the base model and particularly for the sport model (19") are going to be quite expensive. The fuel efficiency on the M is also not great. However, tires are actually probably a larger expense item than the incremental fuel cost.

I know people tend to dismiss these items when buying a $40,000 -- 50,000 car but the costs are real. It is much easier to accept if you know that going into the deal. Don't let anyone tell you that you are going to be able to get alot of wear out of these tires. My experience is that you will get at most 20,000 miles out of the all seasons and 12,000-15,000 out of the sport tires. And the fuel specs are based upon gentle driving. The problem for tire wear and fuel efficiency is that when you buy a car with this kind of capability, you (or at least I) want to enjoy the performance. That does not mean driving +100 mph all the time but it does mean acceleration and enjoying the handling the car delivers. Both will tend to hurt fuel efficiency and tire wear.
  • Options
    undecided7undecided7 Member Posts: 92
    Richcream, thank you for that informatin. I too will be going for my 3rd test drive this weekend simply to confirm what you've already experienced. I was a little concerned about noise as well, but wasn't sure if it was enough to sway me from buying the car. I do want to get another test drive in before making my final decision.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    "I just wish the BMW salespeople and customers were over at the Infiniti store. But, I can probably get over that."

I dont remember having an issue with the last time I visited an Infiniti shop. I found the atmosphere to be much like my favorite uber hi-fi shop, basically no pressure, try whatever you like kind of thing. They are certainly willing to talk if you have questions, but they mostly stay out of your way and let you wail on the cars, which is exactly how I like it.
  • Options
    marko7marko7 Member Posts: 63
    On my recent M35x test drive, I noticed the on-screen gauge showing 9.5 mpg (!). I understand the engine was not broken in yet, and most test drives are short with people pushing high rpm, etc., but this is scary. Any observations on real-life mileage?
  • Options
    I'm sure this is more due to the hard test drives that were done. I actually reset the mpg guage when I went on my test drive and my observed mpg was in the high teens. This was not a punishing test drive since my test drive was in town and around a defined path, which was not very long due to the dealer's "insurance policy" restrictions. Nonetheless, in most normal driving your mpg should be much higher than 9.5 mpg.
  • Options
    drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    From www.infiniti.com check the inventory for the 12 dealers within 50 miles of Disneyland.

On March 15 they had 156 M35s and 148 M45s
    On March 22 they had 163 M35s and 178 M45s
    On March 25 they had 197 M35s and 227 M45s

A nearly 25% increase in the past three days caught my eye. Plus they are making too many M45s.

Better deals are in the near future.
  • Options
    disaacdisaac Member Posts: 15
    My M35x came in last week -- I am 6'4" and have absolutely no problem being comfortable in the driver's seat with really ample head room and the seat isn't even all the way back.

Dan
  • Options
    courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    OUCH!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, it is not a run-flat. 140 is probably the lowest rating I have ever seen. I thought 240 on the M35 was low. Did they tell you how many miles to expect from them. Depending on where you live it will be hard to get 10-12K miles. That could amount to a set of tires a year at about $1000.00 !!!
    Hope you enjoy you new M. It is a great cat.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    Thanks for posting actual data. I think you're right regarding better deals in the (not too distant) future.

Given that my current ride is hanging in quite well & that I buy cars (as opposed to leasing), the plan at the moment is to keep my LS & wait for the off-lease M's to come on the market in 2-3 years.

Aren't most lease deals 36 months or so? Two years would suit my scenario, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait at least three.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    One of the things I've always wondered about is how valid handling and skid pad comparison tests are when each vehicle has different tires. I suspect that tires weigh heavily into the results of such tests. I've certainly noticed great differences in my vehicles when replacing tires.

It seems to me that a manufacturer wanting to win tests would put very sticky low mileage tires on from the factory and the result would be skewed in their favor. Could this be what Infiniti has done with the M? Has anyone ever seen a test where the cars were all fitted with the same brand and type of tire before testing?
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I don't know what type of application your describing. Although companies such as these, link provided. http://www.vizualogic.com/ Offer headrest and visor TV options for many makes. I personally worked with this companies products, fit and finish are first rate (materials, color, stitching are all of OEM quality). I searched the site and no products listed for the M, although, I'd call directly if this was of interest, most times the sites are slower to update new products. The visor TVs are completely legal, and are visible with glare, no need to modify. (This company does not make a drivers visor/TV. As far as displaying NAV and DVD functions. That's determined by how many inputs the monitors have, most monitors are dual source, you can add a separate DVD player and link to the factory NAV. remote that is included changes the source display. Again completely legal and often times dealerships will source the work out and warranty the equipment under the factory's plan. Almost anything you can think of as far as electronics can be added without compromising the vehicle.
  • Options
    oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Thanks, great info...also here in So Cal and am in no rush to get a new car. I'm probably looking at a MY 2007 or 2008.

I'm thinking the M45 non sport will suit me fine, not sure I need what the sport has to offer and don't want to sacrifice ride quality for the better handling as I think the non sport will handle just fine.

Now if someone could tell me there was no difference in ride quality or road noise well then maybe I'd lean towards the sport...Only test driving will tell which I may actually do sooner rather than later...
  • Options
    rickybagsrickybags Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease the M35X within the next 2 weeks in Northern New Jersey. 1)Are there any recommendations on what dealer(s) to use for price and service? 2) Will I get a better price if I wait til April?

Thanks
  • Options
    urwinurwin Member Posts: 2
    I am real close to committing to the purchase of my M45 sport but have three questions.
    1 - Has anybody specifically compared the sound between a car with only the Journey package and one with the Technology Package? Is there really a major differnce in the sound. I just don't see myself buy DVD music for the car. I will probably use my IPod.
    2 - Is there an add on for the IPod connection and how much does it cost?
    3 - Has anybody purchased the extended Nissan 100k bumper to bumper warranty and how much did you pay?

Appreciate any feed back.
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    1) I have, the Bose 5.1 is clearly better and more powerful, but the 8 speaker system more than holds its own. IMO, the 8 speaker is fine for iPOD music.

2) I've read that there is an aftermarket fix for this. Check with Grubbs Infiniti in Texas.

Hope it helps. But regarding #1, you should really just take a CD to the dealer and test it for yourself.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    This is wonderful news Dan! I was thinking of the new BMW 330i but the front interior room is just about the same as my 2002 325i which is to say not too comfortable for my 6'2" frame.
    I will schedule a test drive for the M35. Got to see what all the excitement is about! Thanks.
    hpowders
  • Options
    I got my NAV unlocked today, without doing the Firmware Downgrade. There are problems with this, specifically, the GPS loses the Auto-Reroute function. I believe that the unlock was a combination of a code, and removal of the speed sensor wire. Although this works really well, and does allow all controls to be used while driving, it has some major bugs that are exposed. I am going to have the disconnect put on a toggle switch, so that if I need to access my POI, I can flip it, but without the speed sensor, the GPS does not know where you are on the road, but instead does very jumpy movements. It is actually amazing to me how integrated the Software is with the vehicle movement. Anyway, if a toggle switch is used, this is a perfectly safe mod, and this mod alone does not allow for viewing of the DVD while driving, so IMHO, this should be considered a "legal" modification.

The dealership I am working with is very eager to figure this out, as they have sold 4 more M45's this week, and all the owners are wanting "both" mods.

As for the front / rear cam, I made the request and the tech is going to have an answer for me next week. I am unsure what practical use this has, so this just goes into the "geek/show-off" category of my many wish lists.
  • Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Please educate me on the plus and minuses of 19" versus 18" wheels.

Is the ride harder/firmer with 19"?

In general is one size better for getting more miles out the tires?

I am interested in the M35 Sport (sport because I like the metal interior trim) but do not really have a preference on the wheels. But if 18s give a "little softer" ride and the tires last longer, I would prefer the 18".

Can you substitute or replace the 19" wheels on the sport with 18" wheels?

Does the sport model only come with the 19"?

Do you think the dealers would swap the wheels as part of the deal making?

Thanks.
  • Options
    yeagerdayeagerda Member Posts: 16
    I did some minimal comparison between the std Bose system (journey only) and the 5.1 system in tech, but enough to recognize that there is a pretty significant difference in the audio. Is the std system acceptable? You'll have to be the judge. Do it with a few CD's. What gave me some concern was the low end in the std pkg, so make sure you exercise the bass. The 5.1 system in the tech pkg is certainly impressive, but you could do a lot with aftermarket speakers and maybe an amp for the associated cost. In the end I coughed up the cash for the tech pkg, and love the audio and all the goodies. Obviously for me it was worth it, but there are so many options grouped in tech pkg that I can't say the audio was the overriding factor.
  • Options
    yeagerdayeagerda Member Posts: 16
    runflat is not necessarily a good thing in my mind, having driven on them for the past 2 years in my previous car, so no apologies necessary. As for the grand-a-year tire cost, I doubt that I'll buy 140 rated tires when these wear out, so that will be $1,000/year x 1 year.

That's pretty impressive tho, isn't it? 140? A brief glance at tirerack.com shows a few other brands (Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli) for this size, and most are 220 or 280 treadwear, but found no others below 200. There is 1 Michelin with a rating of 400. I live in Florida. I did purchase the road hazard warranty. I wonder if... oh nevermind.
  • Options
    sdcalsdcal Member Posts: 16
    Regarding the stereo sound, I actually took a U2 CD with me and tested it back to back on the 8 speaker Bose and the 14 speaker 5.1 surround. I was hoping that the former would prove itself indistinguishable versus the 14 speaker system when playing a standard CD.

While you need a DVD-A to take advantage of the 5.1 surround sound, the CD player still uses the same 14 speakers. There is a definite sound improvement with the 14 speaker system when playing standard CDs. And for the few DVD-As that you actually decide to buy, the sound is phenomenal. Stereo system is really important to me because sometimes you'll be stuck in traffic...
  • Options
    tomnhtomnh Member Posts: 12
    I have just burned off 3/4 of a tank since picking my car up on Tuesday. I have a M35X and the mileage verdict is 17.5 mile average per gallon. My driving consisted of mostly around town, except the 60 mile ride on a country road after delivery from the dealer.
  • Options
    apintsapints Member Posts: 18
    Picked up my M35X (Diamond Graphite, tech and journey) yesterday and I'm glad I got a 42 month lease cause it will take me that long to figure everything out. One concern, the sound from the car speakers while using the mobile phone, via blue tooth, is bassey and garbled. Anyone else have that problem? Is there a setting in the audio controls that will make it clearer?
    I need some help.
  • Options
    jbtwojbtwo Member Posts: 14
    What is your lease payment?
  • Options
    driver10driver10 Member Posts: 3
    I've been an avid fan of the Lexus GS for 7 years (I've driven a '98 GS and have always thought it was the best car ever built). In looking for a replacement, I studied the BMW 545, the '06 GS 430 and the M45. I ignored price and focused on the overall car.

My conclusion: The '06 M45 is simply the best out there in this high end sports sedan class. At 0-60 in 5.3, it's faster than either the BMW or the Lexus (whose 0-60 in 5.7 numbers I question), has all the features of the other two (and then some) and, with the rear active steering on the sport model, handles better than the other two.

Other factors: BMWs are in the shop too much. Lexus' new GS has a tighter interior around the driver and doesn't seem designed well for someone over 5'11'', no trunk (no golf), and the VDIM competes with the drivers intentions too aggressively. The only thing that was weak about the M45 was the wheel rims, and the dealer was able to help me address that with some great after-market chromes.

Both the BMW and the Lexus are good cars and it will be a tough decision for anyone making a buying decision, but after a lot of research the right choice for me was the M45. I would personally recommend the sport version vs. the "non-sport" M45. I test drove both versions quite a bit and quite aggressively, the plain vanilla M45 is just doesn't seem to hold its tail as well as you might like in a fast tight turn. The sport, on the other hand, handles like a dream.

Just took delivery of my blue one last night.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    2 - Is there an add on for the IPod connection and how much does it cost?

Ipod offers an FM transmitter often times referred to as an FM modulator, costs about $35 (check Circuit City, Best Buy). Plugs into the Ipod not your car. It allows you to select from multiple FM stations. It basically has the transmission jump onto the FM signal. It's not as "clear" as a direct hard wire, although if it's not available from the factory (i.e BMW, Mini direct plug in interface), hard wiring one in will not offer that much of a difference sound wise to an FM Mod. If you lease this is probably the way to go. Also is not a bad idea if you shuffle cars with your spouse.
  • Options
    I did a 42 month lease on the m45 sport /c TECH+Journey+MES (Mobile Entertainment system)

$1000 + first payment down.
    15,000 miles per year
    $799.00 per month

As for the Bluetooth, what phone are you using? You may have a profile with a sound processor on the phone menu, that will fix the bass.
  • Options
    Another thought, if you get the Mobile ENtertainment system, there is an aux input on the back of the center console..you could run IPOD through this, and play through the stereo system
  • Options
    Right now, until the end of month, the residuals are 57% on the M45, and 59% on the M35. This is 5-8 % higher than the closest competition or individual leasing company

Also, the money factor is only .00220, which is awesome. If you are going to lease...it is a great way to do it direct with Infinity.

I compared my deal and doing the same thing at D&M Leasing the payment was $190 more a month.
  • Options
    I had a motorola v600 that the bluetooth would pair the first time, and then would not repair afterwards. The problem is the bluetooth mac address was all FF (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF), I had to reflash it with a new firmware to clear this condition.

I did a lot of reading on Motorola v series, and there is a lot of problems with the bluetooth. SO if you phone id has all "FF's" you will need to reflash or take it to your provider for a new one. This is a known problem, and is the fault of Motorola, not Infiniti.
  • Options
    saocsaoc Member Posts: 22
    Just returned from an M35X test drive. I was very inmressed with the engine and the technology. I have a 2002 Audi 2.7T and I thought the M had at least as much power as my 2.7T. Much nicer interior and the trunk is significantly more usable. I still plan on waiting awhile for things to cool off although the sales manager wanted to deal on any of the M's he had on the lot. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to see how much he was willing to deal.
  • Options
    johnhwjohnhw Member Posts: 111
    Did you get window tinting, a phone and wheel locks as part of the deal as well? Your deal sounds much better than mine with the same factory equipment. Did you use IFS and which dealer did you use? Also did they go below MSRP?
  • Options
    pat2717pat2717 Member Posts: 14
    I just test drove an m35 and an m45 today. All I can say is Wow, Wow, Wow. On the headroom issue, I barely have enough which is more than I can say for any luxury/sport sedan I have driven or ridden in for the past 5 years. The m45 was a sport, and the m35 was the base model. The finish and quality surpassed my expectations. I had a brief test drive of both and the 35 had plenty of power but the 45 had that effortless feel that this car could do anything I want and then some. I think my personal preference will be to go with the standard finish rather than the sport. I am in a quandry about the engine however. My heart and gut says to go with the 8 cylinder, but I wanted to get the AWD version. If they had AWD with the 8, I would have ordered one today, but they don't so I have to decide. Again, I only had a brief sampling, but the surround sound system was awesome. I'm definitely getting that. All in all, I was very impressed. $50,000 plus is a lot of money but this is a lot of car compared to BMW(my old car is a 528i). I'm getting an M, I just have to figure out which one.
  • Options
    No Tint, but I did get wheel locks. They came down 2600 off of MSRP, but did it as part of the lease to disguise it. The deal can be had in texas, in fact I called 4 dealerships, Dallas, Euless, Houston, and Austin. In the end they all had the same price, I did the shopping by giving them MSRP of the car, and my terms (42 mos, 1k down, 799 per month, 15k miles). All agreed to meet it, so I went to the closer one, that had the color.

I am not sure what IFS is, but the trick is to not get the "premium package", but get the tech+journey, and add on the MES. The phone I use had bluetooth, so I did not need that in the car. They did include the "Modifications" that I have mentioned in previous posts.
  • Options
    Ok guys here it is. Ordered a black on black M35x with Journey and Tech packages with mobile entertainment system and splash guards for $53K and change including the Illinois 7.75% sales tax, license fees and dealer "documentation fee". I took one final test drive on the highway to check out the engine noise and thought that it wasn't as bad as I first thought. At "cruising" speeds of 80+ it was barely noticeable, but it was a little more pronounced during acceleration although not to the point that it was too much. So, after looking at many cars, I've finally decided on this one. It is such a fun, powerful, well made car with all the "toys" for thousands less than the German cars and hopefully with far less trips to the service shop!
  • Options
    liyliy Member Posts: 47
    I noted that the generally, extremely favorable MotorWeek review, http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2430.shtml, of the INfiniti M35x, was punctuated with this sour note, "...we found a serious lack of steering feel to be annoying."

Wonder if someone who owns this car could comment?

LIY
  • Options
    Key point about the MotorWeek review: They test drove a "non-sport" model (that does not have rear active steering). If you're after a performance feel with excellent handling (better than a BMW 5 Series), the sport model is the car you should try.

I test drove both models and opted for the non-sport.
  • Options
    Correction. I meant to say I opted for the "sport" model.

It's too early.
  • Options
    lyttonlytton Member Posts: 14
    I test drove the M35X twice, for the same reasons regarding noise. I then test drove an Acura RL which was signicantly quieter...For this kind of $ I found the engine and road noise disappointing...
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Infiniti spent the money on driving dynamics. If you want sound insolation, get the Acura or the Lexus.
  • Options
    kman8kman8 Member Posts: 2
    I'm up in the bay area and have a car broker looking around California for an m45 sport. Anyone in California have success getting any significant discount off MSRP on the car yet? If so, what dealer?
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Well, this will be "old news" to some here, but I was talked into driving another M45 Sport yesterday.

After noticing more harshness and 'jitter' from the road than I remembered from 2 previous drives, I asked the salesperson to display the tire pressures. 42 - 46.

The 2 others I have driven were 32 - 33.

It does make a difference, if you are sensitive to some particular frequencies, etc.

Just f.y.i.
    - Ray
    Returning next time at night to view the instrument + dash lighting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Undecided:

Which Chicago dealer did you buy from? Would you recommend them? Did you pay sticker? I guess you're not undecided any more.
  • Options
    tlouietlouie Member Posts: 20
    I agree, just saw it at Auto show, it wasn't even on my short list before I sat in it. Fits like a glove & ultra lux ! Beats the Lexus GS & Audi A6 hands down, Pricing is far cheaper than the other 2. Will have to test drive them to see who wins.
  • Options
    lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    I would like to personally congratulate Infiniti for creating the M35/M45, the car that defeated seven other luxury performance sedans in the recent Car and Driver comparison test. This shows the Japanese can build a real sports sedan and beat the Germans at their own game. The car is even priced several thousand below Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus. The midsize luxury performance segment is very competitive, and the former class leader is now beaten by many new competitors in terms of value, style, power, comfort, luxury. Nice job Infiniti!
  • Options
    docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I purchased my M35x on Thursday and have put some 200+ miles on it since then (city and highway). I don't understand some poster's complaints about noise. Yes, it is louder than a Lexus LS (what car isn't), but it is still darn quiet. My advice to any undecideds out there--TEST DRIVE. Then see if the noise is an issue to you. I think the car sounds awesome. At 80 on the highway, the noise seemed to be mostly tire (not engine), followed by wind. And I WANT to hear the engine when my right foot gets heavy. Then the engine sound delivers.

At 80, RPMs were around 3100. Instantaneous fuel economy on flat highway (as displayed on the spiffy bar graph) varied from 20 to 25, depending on the slight variations in accelerator pressure--mostly closer to 20.

As to fuel economy as questioned earlier, when I first checked total economy, it was 13.5 (!). But then I realized how much time I had spent just idling while learning the thousand pages in the owner's manual and navigation book. I also had some initial problems with XM radio setup where I just sat in the car waiting for the thing to initialize (running the engine the whole time--mostly my fault, not XM or Infiniti). I wonder if this scenario is similar to the earlier poster who claimed the impressive 9.5 mpg.

I love the car. The bourbon interior is not for everyone (but it really works for me). My wife and daughter still think it has an orange cast, but the black trim and exterior combined with the bourbon is a very rich look. I disagree with Healy's statement that the wood and bourbon (I assume this is what he meant when he said "buckskin") don't look good together, but that is a personal taste kind of thing. I don't really notice the light headliner unless I concentrate on it. I think that's because you aren't looking down at the dark materials when you're driving (and vice versa).

I have never heard my seven year-old son say "awesome" as many times in so short a span as when I was showing off the tech goodies (he really liked the voice navigation).