Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The sales rep didn't know XM was even capable of being used in a BMW -- the service dept, did. The paperwork for sat is all Sirius, all the time.

We were already leaning Sirius, so we were ripe for being sold that particular carrier. I have no personal issue with XM, I have a friend who has both and I read an article in Cargo Magazine -- both of these sources seemed "pro Sirius" -- no harm no foul as far as I'm concerned.

I am not looking to persuade anyone to or away from any particular carrier -- I am suggesting that Sat Radio is great however. I wouldn't need an iPod with this service, it is nice to know that it can be connected, however.
  • Options
    blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    So many unhappy BMW customers and just about all the auto rags complain about iDrive so what does one of their chief executives say recently? "iDrive is here to stay."

Typical. MB and BMW share the same rigid thought processes. And for years they were at the top of the heap and could get away with it. Now, as their reliability declines and sales fall, they're paying the price and compounding the issue by continuing to be stubborn. While I'm not a great Audi fan, they seem to be getting the picture.
  • Options
    It seems every couple of weeks when I make my visit to the dealership for further tech training, they know more about the car. Perhaps there IS a way to get the doors to lock ... I can't find it in the manual. The manual's not always correct: it says the two key fobs are different colors so they can be told apart .... not true, at least as of my last asking.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    It appears that even Jaguar has finally killed the J-gate shifter in the '07 XK...after 10 years of complaints. I know I wont miss it.

As for Nissan, it wasnt just the G, it was every Nissan interior since the Ghosn take over. Nissan was broke, and cars like the Altima, Maxima, Z, and G35 had to "take one for the team" and help pay for the new VQ and new FM platform by using the cheapest plastic Nissan could get away with. The G and Altima were some of Ghosn's first cars and now that they've reached their midcycle freshenings, the interiors have been fixed...or at least improved anyway. The same thing should happen to the rest of Nissan line, as well as the FX, when it comes time for their midcycle refresh.
  • Options
    eli2eli2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm supposed to p/u my new M35X today. Want to verify getting a good deal in NY.

Trading in 2004 G35X w/ 25k miles for $27,500.

New car is M35X with Journey/Tech & spoiler for $699 per month. 39 months, 15k miles and $2,700 down (this covers everything including tax).

Is this a good deal? Can I do better?
  • Options
    lounacllounacl Member Posts: 27
    see post #3007..I think you can do better....I got a quote last Saturday $634 p/mo, 15k, 39mo, 3300 out of pocket...
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    "....it says the two key fobs are different colors so they can be told apart..."

Actually if you look at the bottom of the key fobs, the clips, one is chrome and one is matte slightly gold, subtle, but a way to tell them apart.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Seems a little high for 39 months with THAT much down. Now PERHAPS at 36 months this might be OK, but it still seems like you are putting a bit much down.

I was quoted $677 a month (including tax) with no money down on a Journey, Tech, Spoiler, Splash guards = 39mo, 15K miles, sec dep and first month up fronts only. This deal was $707 at 36 months.

With a 60K warranty, this is one of the few cars I would consider going to the "magic" limit of 39 months.
  • Options
    hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I am a sales manager at an Infiniti Dealer. About a week ago, I met with representatives from Infiniti design team and several other reps representing the M project since its inception. I brought up, among other things, the fact that many of our customers prefer the "auto-locking" feature. They responded positively to this and are currently looking at the possibility of offering this feature in future M vehicles. It is a rather simple addition, which can be managed through the computer system of the car - enabling auto doorlocking or disabling it.

Knowing from experience how well Infiniti listens to its customers, I would suspect that auto locking doors will be offered in either the later model 06 M's, or in the 07 M's. Let's see if I'm right.
  • Options
    s54s54 Member Posts: 29
    Seems like a software upgrade, so it should be possible to upgrade all Ms...

Anyone have insight into whether this is possible in general re automobile software? S
  • Options
    johnhwjohnhw Member Posts: 111
    I recently visited a local dealer and noted they are running out of M45's and have only a few M35's. This dealer is one of the larger US infiniti volumn dealers historically. The currently have two M45's and 6 M35s in inventory, sounds low to me. Anyone noticing a similar low inventory level?
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Knowing from experience how well Infiniti listens to its customers, I would suspect that auto locking doors will be offered in either the later model 06 M's

I was wondering if Infiniti planned on any mid-year updates to the '06 M; especially since its had an early introduction and since I presume the '07 will not be out before Sept '06.

Do you think there will be any changes to the '06's run prior to an official '07 and if so what do you think any changes will entail? Thanks.
  • Options
    My dealership only had 2 45s on the lot last Friday (my last visit); but they had about 8-10 35s. If there is a "shortage" I can only imagine that it is temporary - there is no way they are close to releasing an '07 (in fact an '07 must be at least a year away).
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the help there.

If I may, I'd propose some more requests for you to consider passing on:

1- More characters on the XM track and artist text. There's a bug in the M which shortens that info to only 10 characters, where my 2003 Q45 with XM shows 16 characters (XM provides 16 at a minimum but even more in the newest hardware)

2- Full access to ALL NAV functions while driving (as some other cars provide)

3- An option for full front-passenger side seat adjustments (say in the premium package) that match all the options available in the driver's seat adjustments (height, lumbar etc)

4- An optional rear, side window shades.

5- More radio presets (such as D,E,F,G,H in addition to the A,B,C preset banks. Pressing the A-B-C Preset button would cycle through them.) Satellite radio has so many stations (for so many moods), and the M seats a full family, whose favorites will vary. (The number of preset banks to use might be an option in settings, so people who don't want more aren't bothered by it)

Pete
  • Options
    Yes please make Nav programming available while driving. My MDX has this (Acura has had this since at least 2001). While I can understand safety concerns, Infiniti does not even allow my spouse to program while I am driving :blush: :confuse:
  • Options
    drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    The sales manager at my local Infiniti says Japan greatly underestimated the demand for Ms - especially in the heartland. Seems that a majority of the early shipments went to NY, LA and FL. The demand elsewhere greatly exceeded the supply so Infiniti shipped more cars there and fewer to NY, LA and FL than originally planned. So yes there is a shortage meaning prices will not be dropping that dramatically anytime soon. May sales figures will likely suffer because of this - just wait until all the non-M lovers read the figures and claim how much a dog the M has turned out to be just based on low sales figures.

Hmm.....I wonder if Infiniti's decision to take their inventory search off www.infiniti.com is somehow related to this?
  • Options
    aas5aas5 Member Posts: 50
    I don't find the fact that there are more 35s on lots surprising. I do believe that most Ms are sold with a V6. While M45 may be a popular option here among the members of this forum, I am sure that most buyers opt out for M35 thinking that V8 is not worth the premium. Just take a look at the breakdown of the FX sales...
    Having said this, I ordered M45 sport last week!
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I doubt many non M lovers will question the overall initial success. The capacity problem if true could only be verified with supporting production/capacity data. I find it hard to believe any manufacturer would sit on their hands and not ramp up production (this can be accomplished in many ways).

Along the same lines, people like to compare units sold data as key indicators, those sales figures never take into account separating the out going models "true" sales numbers, total sales of the model are simply lumped together. For traditionally low volume sellers, the point is moot. Many on this board have quoted the Lexus GS vs. the M (The M that was replaced was truly a dog, in sales). But how would one compare the success of say the outgoing BMW 3, or the recently successful sales promotion of the outgoing Audi A4 and come to deeming one a success in relative terms?
  • Options
    sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    I can't comment about XM since I have no direct experience but it seems to me that the higher altitude of the Serius satellites would allow for a slightly more directional radiation pattern to at least partially offset the loss from a higher altitude. It might also provide a better angle to reduce the dead zone or "shadow" produced by obstructions such as buildings for those of us that are at the extreme East or West coast. I believe that both of the services have terrestrial repeaters in certain problem areas.
  • Options
    I can't comment about XM since I have no direct experience but it seems to me that the higher altitude of the Sirius satellites would allow for a slightly more directional radiation pattern to at least partially offset the loss from a higher altitude. It might also provide a better angle to reduce the dead zone or "shadow" produced by obstructions such as buildings for those of us that are at the extreme East or West coast. I believe that both of the services have terrestrial repeaters in certain problem areas.

That's all somewhat true, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Because of the angle of incidence, Sirius made the decision to put up fewer repeaters. XM has a far greater number. My experience (and most of what I've heard) is that XM's repeaters do a really excellent job in most cities. Secondly, XM's greater signal strength seems to be doing a better job in rural areas where tree covering is a problem, as was really apparent in my recent comparison with an extended sirius/M test drive.

Lastly, many reports indicate that XM's stationary satellites do a better job at handling indoor locations. This is due both to the difference in signal strength and to the fact that sirius' satellites are always changing position. It's not possible to find an ideal indoor spot and keep it there, since it will soon be less than ideal. Every indoor sirius installation I've heard of has ended up requiring an out door or roof mounted antenna. Just about all of the XM installs I've heard about get good results with the standard indoor antenna.

Pete
  • Options
    ondiondiondiondi Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a M45 Sport with Journey, Tech, XM and all option except for the rear dvd for 5k down and 599 a month for 36 months. Granted I put a little more down, I think I got a pretty good deal. Im sure they will go down more for you too.
  • Options
    I know you can do better. I'm paying $606 for a 39 month lease, $2,500 out front, for an M35 sport w/ tech, aero, and journey. And this is from the ONLY dealer in Tucson with NO competition within 100 miles. In addition, part of the $2,500 was license plate fee ... which in AZ is based on vehicle's value and was ~ $900.
  • Options
    Actually if you look at the bottom of the key fobs, the clips, one is chrome and one is matte slightly gold, subtle, but a way to tell them apart.

Not on mine. Absolutely identical. Perhaps the problem has been resolved ... my car was delivered to the dealer on the first truck ... ~ April 1.
  • Options
    Mike ... It seems to me it should be an easy computer "fix" and if that's the case might even be offered as an upgrade on the already delivered models. How about the key fobs? And are they aware of the inadequacy of the adjustments on the passenger's seat?
  • Options
    I remember reading early on that the decision to place the Sirius satellites in a higher orbit was at least partially made on the basis of requiring fewer terrestrial repeaters.

Would you then agree that making an informed choice reduces to two factors - the program content, and the signal conditions where you intend to use the system? All else tends to be fairly equal.
  • Options
    That's probably true.
  • Options
    I work at the "highest volume" Infiniti Dealer in the Country, and our inventory on M's is:

M-45's (sport and non-sport) 8
    M-35's (sport and non-sport) 29

We have another 40 coming in this month. M-45's are in shorter supply at our dealership because we sold more than expected in May. One would think with fuel prices and lower MPG's on the V-8, demand would be lighter, but it hasn't worked out that way over the past 60 days.
  • Options
    Yes, we brought these items up as well. The passenger seat adjustment should include 8-way adjustments as opposed to 2.

As for when these changes will be made is anyone's guess, however my experience with Nissan/Infiniti is that they listen and act in short durations of time rather than longer ones. I've seen changes on G-35's and FX's in the short run over the past year, so I suspect these changes will be reviewed, engineered, and addressed shortly.

As for a "mid-year" change in production of the M's, that is questionable.
  • Options
    toonboytoonboy Member Posts: 4
    I may be missing something as I am not an M owner (yet), but two separate test drives in two separate M's I was able to press the voice commands button on the steering wheel and had the navigation system ask me "what state... what city... what street... what number" to calculate a route - all while driving.
  • Options
    richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    I think the thing that is bugging most M owners, including myself, about the nav access while driving is that you cannot manually input destinations and you do not have access to points of interest through the voice command feature.

The voice command is very good, but having to pull over to find a POI is ridiculous.
  • Options
    The voice command is very good, but having to pull over to find a POI is ridiculous.

Especially galling is when you have an adult front seat passenger with you. :blush:
  • Options
    richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    Tell me about it.

Must be a new crop of class action suits on the horizon (or something) to make Infiniti so excessively cautious in regard to the nav (nav warning every time you start the car, limiting functions while driving.) :(
  • Options
    Full nav access is really what we want, but ordinarily you don't have to pull over to find a POI, unless you want to search for a specific name.

Can you tell me what you're referring to?

Pete
  • Options
    theorytheory Member Posts: 3
    I have been trying to find out - with no luck.....

If the M Sport suspension sits lower then the Non Sport.

I know that the Sport has the 19 wheels and tires, and it makes it look like it has less wheel gap - but that doesnt mean that - this is from a lower suspension or spring.

So.....

Does anyone know - or know how to find out if this is just a stiffer spring rate or if it is actually lower then the Non Sport.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    You do not have access to points of interest through the voice command feature.

Points of interest CAN be accessed by Voice command. Just say Nearby Restaurant. (Or Nearby Rest Area, Gas Station, Movie Theater, or Nearby XYZ. Where XYZ can be any of 50+ different categories. see manual p.9-19 ) The M will list the nearest POI's so that you can choose a destination. OR say Show Nearby Restaurant (etc.) to see them on the map (and a list), before choosing.

You can also supply a POI destination, while driving, just by saying its phone number, and you can also customize the Nearby Places category/sub_category list. So that, while driving, you can quickly find a specific gas station, restaurant chain, (or other poi), that often use.

And yes, as another member pointed out, voice entry for addresses is very slick, and works beautifully.

Of course we'd all be really happy if we could do ALL nav functions, while driving.

Pete
  • Options
    I don't know for sure but the M series brochure puts the vehicle height for the M35/M45 at 59.4 inches and the M35/M45 Sport at 59.5 inches so I would suspect that the 1/10 inch difference is probably attributable mostly to the tires and wheels. The M35x is 60.0 inches.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Does anyone know - or know how to find out if this is just a stiffer spring rate or if it is actually lower then the Non Sport.”

From nissannews:
    M35 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .M45

Luxury . . . .Sport . . . . .AWD . . || . . Luxury . . Sport

Minimum ground clearance:

5.1 . . . .5.3 . . . . . 5.5 . . . . . . . .|| . .5.1 . . . . 5.3

- Ray
    Finding it odd that the M45 Sport is shown with MORE ground clearance than the non-Sport / Luxury - - -
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    It's the 19" wheels that increase the ground clearance. That is also evidence that the suspension is only a few millimeters lower than the luxury version, if any.

My car is the performance model (the other, non-Infiniti M), but has 18" wheels in lieu of the standard 17" wheels. The suspension is lowered 1", but the overall drop is only .5" because of the larger wheels.
  • Options
    mrivisionmrivision Member Posts: 22
    Great request. I would like to emphasize that I think the absolute most important change is in the passenger seat. This should be a no-brainer. I also am concerned that the windshield washers are not powerful enough nor optimally aimed.

I think everyone who posts to this site should call and email Infiniti customer service. I did recently. They took my VIN so I believe they do log in complaints, questions and concerns. Maybe, with any luck, some of these changes with allow us 2006 quinea pigs to update our cars. I would really like to get an update for the XM radio display and the nav system. I would pay for a new, fully adjustable, passenger seat as well, although would be even more pleased if they upgraded it at their expense.

I really believe this car is nearly unbeatable with these changes. Only other thing I would love to see is a hybrid M35x. I can dream, can;t I!
  • Options
    Must be a new crop of class action suits on the horizon (or something) to make Infiniti so excessively cautious in regard to the nav (nav warning every time you start the car, limiting functions while driving.)

It's not just Infiniti; my wife's Lexus does the same. The fear of lawsuits drives this. And it will only get worse. I'm not here to bash trial lawyers ... although there are some who deserve a good bashing. It's the juries that make outlandish awards that ultimately drive the system.
  • Options
    I would pay for a new, fully adjustable, passenger seat as well, although would be even more pleased if they upgraded it at their expense.

As would I. While I'd like to have it for nothing, I would think a very fair approach would be for Infiniti to provide the materials and for us to have the option of paying for installation. Things might happen more quickly that way ... dunno.
  • Options
    Mike ... Another issue is the inability to start the car if the key fob is lost. While I don't PLAN on losing mine, whenever I have my M-car valet parked I have a serious case of the jitters. My wife's Lexus has a "valet" key that will activate the ignition if the key gets lost ... Infiniti needs to address this also. The sales manager here in Tucson told me it's no different from losing a key, but he's wrong. I lost the key to my Caddy in the north woods of Wisconsin 20+ years ago ... was able to get the key code by phone from the selling dealer in Philadelphia and get a new key ground at the local Chevy store Saturday afternoon. If that had happened with the current Infiniti system I'd have been completely out of luck ... through the weekend at least, and until a new fob/transmitter could be gotten to me.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Its the lawyer screen. Both of my Lexus cars and my Jaguar has it. As far as I know pretty much every car with a nav system has some sort of "I agree" button that you have to hit.
  • Options
    bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151

Especially galling is when you have an adult front seat passenger with you

Not really when you think about it. Most would agree that playing DVD's on the front screen while moving is a bad idea even though the front passenger could enjoy it. Navigation is not really all that different except that the duration of the distraction would be shortened. I would be willing to bet that those who have German cars have taken their eyes off the road longer than they should have in order to program their navigation system. I have.

While it seems frustrating to have to pull over to search POI's it really does make sense. We only have two hands and one pair of eyes and ears so we shouldn't really expect to be able to eat, drink, talk on our cell phones, apply makeup AND program the navi screen at the same time.
  • Options
    valuebuyervaluebuyer Member Posts: 24
    I noticed you were not high on the Goodyears. My 35x has the same tires - any suggestions on upgrading? I live in an 'occasional winter' geography - so all-seasons are probably still the way to go.
  • Options
    johnhwjohnhw Member Posts: 111
    You got an awesome deal versus mine two and a half months ago. Are the taxes low in your state on leases? I have the same as you with the rear video and put down about the same amount with payments over $700 for 48 months. How much off sticker did you achieve?
  • Options
    a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Member Posts: 43
    I am removing the Goodyears and will re-install them when the lease is over.

I have decided to get the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all-weather tires. They are not readily available everywhere but are sold by www.tirerack.com. They will be installed next week--and I will report back then...
  • Options
    hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    I am ready to remove my Goodyears as well. Please post with your impressions when you have them on. I noticed that the Pirellis were very highly rated, just under the Techs that few had rated. Good luck on your switch and I will be waiting to see your post. Thanks. Hawkeye
  • Options
    ondiondiondiondi Member Posts: 3
    Not sure what CA tax is. I got sticker at 51000. They said they only made about $50 on the transaction. Had a .00192. I think maybe they were trying to get rid of them? Not really sure. What I do know is that they weren't selling very well here.
  • Options
    a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Member Posts: 43
    When a dealer tells you they made $50 on a car, they are liars and probably crooks.

If you paid sticker for the car, they made about $5700 including holdback as there is about $4500 between invoice and msrp, plus a formula that equals about 1.75% of the invoice for the holdback.