Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    I'm in complete agreement with you on the styling of the latest 3 series ....UGLY.

I saw one yesterday....uck....cheap looking....

The previous 3 was, IMO, a far more attractive vehicle. The new one has all the styling appeal of a Toyota Corolla.

I think someone on here posted that the X5 is getting restyled soon. If the styling of the new 3 series is any indication of what BMW has in store, perhaps this is one case where you'd be better off getting the outgoing model.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    What untrue says is probably true. Buying an M45 sport and using it mostly in city driving is a waste of the car's enormous potential and the gasoline not to mention its deleterious effect on the environment.
    I feel people would be better off availing themselves of urban public transportation and saving cars like the M for weekend and vacation trips. A lot less frustrating.
    When I worked in NYC, the 325i stayed in the underground garage of my coop and I took the subway to and from work 5 days a week. No way I was going to kill myself in that traffic.
  • Options
    "I was back on LI about a month ago and the Nassau County police must have a reign of terror going on there because no vehicles were going more than 65mph on a wide open Northern State Parkway."

That's funny, I was on the Cross Island today doing a steady 95 mph. :D
    Albeit, that's NYPD stomping grounds, but Nassau roads are pretty much the same...maybe a few less pot holes.

I haven't seen too many other M's or GS's either. Though I did see a twilight blue M45 on the S. State today.
  • Options
    If you're gonna let it out on LI, you have the best shot on the north-south feeder highways which are less congested and probably less-policed than the east-west highways.
    But that's not always true too. I've been on the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway and I have seen police stopping vehicles all over the place. I even got stopped once but the officer admitted he made a mistake. :blush:
  • Options
    stmechstmech Member Posts: 19
    Picked up my new M-35 two days ago. The fuel consumption on two days of commuting on a mix of country, city, and highway roads has been 21.0 mpg. This compares to 25.5 that I used to get driving the same route on my previous car; a 2002 Audi A6 with CVT (as fuel effecient as a stick). The 20% reduction is partially offset by a 10% fuel cost reduction: regular for the M and premium for the A6. (I haven't added any gas yet). I expect that the M mileage will improve slightly after a break-in period.
  • Options
    avalonowneravalonowner Member Posts: 8
    I test drove a lot of Luxury/Near Luxury Performance Sedans and was very close to buying the M. I ended up with a 2005 Toyota Avalon mainly due to fuel economy as I have long commute (70 mi).

2005 Toyota Avalon
    ==============
    280hp / 260 ft-lb torque
    0-60 mph: 6.5 sec
    Turning radius: 36.9 ft
    Leg room: front - 41.3 in, rear - 40.9 in
    MPG: 22/31
    MSRP: $30,470 (Touring model - similarly equiped to a base M35)

Infiniti M35
    ========
    280hp / 270 ft-lb torque
    0-60 mph: 6.3 sec
    Turning radius: 36.7 ft
    Leg room: front - 44.2 in, rear - 37.3 in
    MPG: 18/25
    MSRP: $40,710
  • Options
    purplem46purplem46 Member Posts: 54
    Just have to add my 2 cents on that comment! Until I purchased the Sport M45 in March 05, I have been driving an 02 BMW M3 in Dallas. Now that my friends, was a waste of sports car. You had to drive to the Hill Country, West Texas or to a track to take advantage of what that car was built to do. I loved that car, but the reason I traded out after three years had a lot to do with a wasted potential. While a whole lotta fun to drive, it was cramped, noisy, and a bit jarring on normal surfaces (not that this is always a bad thing).

The M45 is a hoot in the city. You get caught in traffic, turn up the Bose Surround and the air conditioning that blows up your seat and enjoy life. You want to punch the throttle, why not, for a low "5.sumpin to 60" the car it is pretty stealthy. Soft ride when needed, firm enough when pushed. Overtaking on on/off ramps is as comfortable as the M3 ever was. Nahh, the M45 is the perfect city cruiser, no waste here. I'd like to have one with a standard six, but not enough to whine about it.
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the M45 had Brembo brakes; however I can not confirm that on Infiniti's website. First is this a true statement, and second according to what I've read the M35 and M45 have the same braking system - is this true? Thanks.
  • Options
    sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    I just ordered an M35 for $1000 over cost ( $3221 below retail), but not from the SJ dealer. He wouldn't match the price. You should be able to do at least as well on a G. ( if you really meant G)
  • Options
    As an additional note, Sirius offers a lifetime subscription for $499. For those planning to keep the car longer term this might be a good deal. The web site shows that this offer ends at the end of June but I just spoke with a rep who said it has been extended until January. Serius offers the $6.99 rate for 2nd through 4th receiver and also offers additional reduced rates for 1 and 2 year terms on the additional radios. Unfortunately they don't reduce the lifetime subscription cost for additional receivers.
  • Options
    You can buy a G for $100.00 over invoice.
  • Options
    As an additional note, Sirius offers a lifetime subscription for $499. For those planning to keep the car longer term this might be a good deal. The web site shows that this offer ends at the end of June but I just spoke with a rep who said it has been extended until January. Serius offers the $6.99 rate for 2nd through 4th receiver and also offers additional reduced rates for 1 and 2 year terms on the additional radios. Unfortunately they don't reduce the lifetime subscription cost for additional receivers.
  • Options
    dickster1dickster1 Member Posts: 22
    I just "upgraded " from a 2001 Audi 2.7T. The turbine definitely has a lag time to it. The power surge in the M35 on acceleration is definitely stronger than the Audi. And, the M35 has more HP. I think the book on acceleration is about 1 sec. better 0-60 for the M35.

Frankly, they are both great cars. What helped me make up my mind on switching is Audi is unwilling to offer any kind of lease package (competitive) and Infiniti will write a really great lease.
  • Options
    I'm sure you're right. Most cars that aren't in high demand should go for about that.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The Audi A6 2.7T depending on which iteration of the engine (250HP or 265HP) and also depending on the transmission was the quickest A6 and darn near the quickest Audi, PERIOD (excluding the RS6 but able to give the S4 a run for its money -- thinking of the 2.7T S4, of course).

I have the 2.7T in a 2003 allroad (6speed manual) and the acceleration of the M35X I believe (butt-meter) will not disappoint. A 6speed manual A6 2.7T was rated as 0-100kph in 6.0 seconds. That is in M45 territory. But the M35X compared to an Audi A6 2.7T tiptronic (@ 6.4 seconds) will probably be "close enough for jazz" at 6.5 seconds -- both mfg's data from web and or brochure).

The 2.7T is a car that RUSSSHHHHHHHHES through the gears and 2nd gear acceleration (speaking of the 6spd manual) is practically neck snapping (in an allroad even, for Pete's sake). I have not driven the M45, but I have read the test reports, and it seems that probably describes the M45 too. Yet the published differences automatic trans in both of them only gives the Audi a .1 edge over the M35X. At this point, the M35X seemed to me to be a reasonable performer, unlike the A6 3.2, which considering it costs more than the A6 2.7T is downright leisurely in its race to 100kph.

I read that Audi positioned the A6 3.2 as the replacement for the A6 3.0 -- and pigs will fly if they expect me to buy this as a justification for bringing a $50K car (as often equipped) that can't break through the 7.0 second 0-100kph barrier that seems to be a "price of entry" in this class and at this price point.

Those of us with 2.7T's may wish (I do, at least) for Audi to give the bi-turbo treatment to the 3.2 -- of course then it would blow away the 4.2 and make it perhaps irrelevant. Then, while I'm dreaming, I wonder why not bi-turbo both the 3.2 and 4.2 (they already proved it would work in the RS6) albeit in a somewhat less aggressive configuration than in the RS variants.

Where was I?

Oh yea -- the M35X will out accelerate the 3.2 -- not that that is a good reason to get the Infiniti (there are other reasons, but we've beaten that horse into hamburger); and, I suspect it will be a "close enough" approximation to the A6 2.7T so as not to disappoint.
  • Options
    bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    M45 Sport - loaded about 70/30 city to highway, nearing 3000 miles, 18.3 mpg. Perfectly fine with me. Higher revving engine....lower mileage.

If I would opt to drive the car aggressively all the time I'm confident I could lower my number by a couple mpg. I do so selectively however. If you're working to find "flaws" in the car I imagine you'll be able to use this example. Neither the V6 or V8's will be stellar gas mileage performers but I have no complaint with that.

I'd say that the need to cite a squeak, rattle, or skimpy gas mileage speaks volumes about the quality of the car. The only problem that I've seen reported more than once is with a faulty sound system amplifier. Seems to me to be a pretty impressive introduction of a completely redesigned car.
  • Options
    kenm45sportkenm45sport Member Posts: 14
    Interesting analysis. I got my M45 a little over a month ago. The only other car that got serious consideration was the BMW M3. For all the reasons you cite, I went with the M45. The extra speed of the M3 would have been wasted on me, since a large percentage of my driving is on congested LA freeways in and around rush hour. Obviously, the M3 has a lot of potential but it would have gone largely unrealized. So I opted for the slightly slower M45 (is it fair to refer to a car that does 0-60 in about 5.5 as "slower"?!), with tons more goodies (DVD, Bluetooth, Nav, LDW, ICC, back-up camera, etc., etc.) and lots more room and comfort. Since the prices were comparable, there was really no choice.

Now, if I could afford the M3 as a weekend screamer, I would get it in a heartbeat. The speed and the responsiveness of the SMG shifting was almost scary. And it even comes in a convertible. What a fun second car that would be.
  • Options
    A powerful V8 that gets 18.3 mpg, I would be perfectly happy with that too.
  • Options
    natasnatas Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what lease payment they got on a m35? Thank you :)
  • Options
    lounacllounacl Member Posts: 27
    Your right about the lease. This WOULD HAVE BEEN my third Audi, but I just can't justify in my mind and pocket, the numbers they are asking for. 3.2 - $ 750 with 3800 out of pocket, 4.2 - $ 875 with about the same out of pocket. Both with no nav, no backup camera, no radar cruise, no lane change, no 14 speakers, no surround sound.

No, no, no...not this time. Now I just have to decide on the M45s, (and a used pickup for my Home Depot, and just gotta get out in the snow runs), or the M35x. Will decide this Saturday.

BTW, I also looked at the CLK500. Performance - fantastic, interior and other amenities, not even close to the M or the Audi. 889 p/mo with 4600 out of pocket. Holy crap.....

Just thinking about my first house $34k, with 1600 sq. Now my car cost me 50k, with less than 100 sq of interior space. My, how things have changed.
  • Options
    oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    I was back in LI this past weekend and commented about how painfully slow everyone was driving on the S. State...around 60 or so. I agree with hpowders, the N and S routes, such as 231 are far more open and better for opening it up. When I was a kid they actually had racing clubs and jackets made up for rte 231.

Back in So Cal today and I hit some potholes and was glad I wasn't riding on 40 series rubber, especially one real bad one on the 405, unbelievable how bad some of these roads are...but when traffic is moderate to light everyone is doing 75 plus...much better than LI because the freeways are wider with more straight shots than the curvy S. State. The S. State was designed by Robert Moses to be a "Sunday Drive" type of route, not a commuter thoroughfare.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Those Audi lease prices seem a little high from what I've been seeing in the other forums these days. They were definitely that high a few months ago, are your numbers from this month?
  • Options
    a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Member Posts: 43
    I too have been a loyal Audi owner for the last 5 years--with a 01 A6 4.2 and an 03 allroad. I love both cars.

I too looked at the MB CLK coupe and convertible. E350 and 500. BMW 530. A4/S4 Cabrio. A6. A8. GS300.

Nowhere--under any circumstance--was there anything offered that came close to the M35x--even at 50% more per month. In terms of features, performance and value nothing touches the M.

My lease is as follows (in NJ)

Diamond/Graphite
    Journey/Tech
    $2500 off MSRP (2K over invoice)
    MF. .00209
    Residual 61%
    39 months
    15k miles
    Incept fees + first month= $1680
    NJ taxes in advance (not necessary but smart)= $1033
    zero cap cost
    total up front=$2700
    monthly lease=$606

I can almost assure anyone looking for this vehicle--similarly equipped--will not find it cheaper anywhere in the country at this time--period. These are the bottom line numbers that will get you a car. Offer less, and they will let you walk out of the dealership--as demand is greater than supply for now.

Of course that will change, but the M will still represent a great vehicle and value.

I'm picking up the car this weekend....
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Healey's statements wouldn't be ones I'd hang my hat on, his reviews lack detail and offer kiddy lingo.

Here’s what Healey said about the M’s controls:

“Controls:. Knobs for volume and tuning on the radio. Applause.
    … Most controls have their own separate knobs and buttons on the instrument panel. Satisfying for techies, nearly intuitive for Luddites … That attention to detail is what separates true luxury cars from the merely expensive ones.”

Healey’s statements about competitors' conrols:

“The logic that hides almost any function beneath layers of choices is flawed logic. The auto industry needs an exorcist to eliminate such thinking.”

His detail, logic and "lingo" are flawless IMO.

In Road and Track’s recent V8 sport sedan comparo (where the M beat all others), The M actually won points for having the easiest most intuitive controls, and for it’s beautiful interior.

As a technologist, what I find most impressive, is that the M has demolished the competition, despite the fact that these reviewers have completely ignored the M’s total superiority in electronics technology.

Navigation, and many other sophisticated electronics are enormous part of today’s driving experience, but car magazines don’t yet focus on these issues, or compare them in any way. I can tell you that the M has an absolutely huge advantage here. And it’s not even considered in any of these blowout victories.

Most people simply quote these reviews to justify that their purchase is the "right one.”

I own a 2003 Q45, a 2003 Mercedes CLK Cab, and a 2005 Escalade. I’ve owned 4 Lexus LS’s and will probably buy an M shortly. I knew I made the right purchase when I drove my Q45 home. I have awe and admiration for what Infiniti has done, and I quote these reviews so that OTHERS will make the “right” purchase.

Now maybe YOU can tell us why you disparage these reviews.

Pete
  • Options
    natasnatas Member Posts: 3
    A6 to m35 what was your MSRP?
  • Options
    varixvarix Member Posts: 72
    Have had my M35x (Liquid platinum, premium option group) now for 1 week. Driving around the Chicago area with it has been absolutely joyous. I get up earlier now in eager anticipation of driving it to work. I don't care that I don't have the XM traffic I liked in the Acura RL as I don't care about the traffic right now, it's a blast just being in this car. What a huge difference from the Volvo s80 I traded in! Getting about 16mpg around town, driving fairly aggressively and with premium gas. Other than a little buzz in the left driver surround speaker, ZERO defects. Feels incredibly sturdy. Tough negotiating a deal in Chicago area though, got1K off list but that was the best I could do. Two dealers insisted on list and low balled the trade in. I walked out on both checkbook in hand and they didn't chase me. Someone must be paying list or near it for this car right now. Might actually be worth it! Pretty much perfect. :D
  • Options
    a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Member Posts: 43
    MSRP $50560
    Selling Price $48060

BTW...I've been waiting about 2 months for the car to come in...
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    I'm thinking about soon buying a M35x in Chicago and was wondering what dealer you worked with. DId you say the best you could do was only $1000 off?
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I" think someone on here posted that the X5 is getting restyled soon. If the styling of the new 3 series is any indication of what BMW has in store, perhaps this is one case where you'd be better off getting the outgoing model."

Yeah that was me. Its due next year. If you have to buy right now, I think the new ML500 is the better SUV.

• Options
    empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    A6 - Can you tell me what dealer you pruchased your M from. thanks much...
  • Options
    Numbers were from this past Monday. Based on 2k off the MSRP for each. I could get an additional 1500 off for customer loyalty, on the 3.2 only, if I took it out of stock by May 31st. I think the residuals are running at 48%, which is certainly lower than 54% that I got on an A4 cab in January, and certainly a lot lower than on the M's. I think all the German cars are taking a hit with the Euro.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when Infiniti will be allowing the M's in the VPP program. I don't need the car until Sept, and would be willing to extend my current A6 lease month to month to get it. Based on Lease Wizard, with the VPP, I could get a M45s, for 635 mo, with 3500 out of pocket for taxes, bank fee, etc. It would be worth the wait if it happened this year.
  • Options
    I'm an oldie, but still have fond memories of my 442, GTO, and Mustang days. In the 80's my last fun car was a 5sp, '88 Mustang GT. Then I went the SUV route for 12 years. Not much fun, but served their purpose. When I got the A6 2.7t in 2002, I was rejuvinated. The turbos just blew me away. For the first few weeks, I actually was scared when I put the pedal to the metal [showing my age :-)]. But, I got over that quickly.

I couldn't go backwards at this point. Anything less than the performance of the 2.7 would make me miserable everytime I drove it :cry:. The 4.2 really excited me. The power, the sound. But the mortgage payment price doesn't.

I drove the M45s, fell in love with it, but still debating, living in the Northeast. I really would have to pick up an old 4 wh drive beater for those days I have to drive in the snow. But if the performance on the M35x is on par (not looking to street race), with the 2.7t, then I would be a happy camper, and have a little extra money in my pocket to pay for the high price of gas today.
  • Options
    The west side of Florida is paradise for really opening it up. Interstate has 70 mph speed limit and if you do 70 in the right lane, you will almost always have someone tailgating you.
    Troopers are unknown on much of it with the exception of a few pockets. They basically look the other way because we don't have any decent public transportation and many times, you have to travel 20 miles just to get to a decent restaurant.
    I was so glad to get back down here from LI and be really driving again. I don't think I could ever go back to living there.
    All you M owners should someday check it out. Nothing like seeing what your fabulous vehicle can really do!
  • Options
    I think the M35x should be able to run with an A6 2.7T, at least when it had 250hp anyway. Audi gave it a boost in the last year..only to take it away with the 3.2. Im not sure what they were thinking there.
  • Options
    creditmancreditman Member Posts: 23
    My wife drives an 04 Audi Allroad with the 2.7t engine. I love driving that car because of the smooth rush of acceleration. IMO the M35X actually feels faster than the 2.7t I have had the M35X for about 2 months, 3300 miles. gas mileage combined city/highway/bumper to bumper has been 17.5 to 20.2, no complaints about the car. Have yet to see another on the streets of Detroit. Everyone who has seen the car (Diamond Graphite/Burboun) thinks it's great.
  • Options
    blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Funny how we've evolved from a world of RWD cars that we learned to handle pretty well in snow to FWD that were better and AWD that are clearly the best. I grew up in Philly and lived in CHI for ages ... never had anything other than RWD cars back than and didn't have much trouble at all with a decent set of snow tires; even got along reasonably well with the all-season treads that emerged in the late 70's. However, if I now lived in the snowbelt I would never consider anything but AWD because it is infinitely (no pun intended) superior to and safer than RWD and FWD. No question about it.
  • Options
    drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Have any new information to share? I'm going back to the dealer next week and would appreciate all the amo I can muster.

Thanks
  • Options
    jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    Did anyone find any safety info on the M35X? I know about the standard features like air bags, curtians, I am talking crash tests? If so where were they posted? I have tried looking up the Fuga as is is the identical car in Japan with no luck.

I am a little concerned but that did not stop me from leaving my deposit. Car is due in week of June 10th.

I would just feel better knowing it was as safe as a Volvo S80 but tons more fun to drive.

If anyone has any info real world or whatever, I would appreciate your sharing the info.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Options
    hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    The tire pressure on my M35x is at 35 when cold. What have the rest of you been using as your pressure settings? My ride seems a little choppy and I want to improve it a bit. I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. Would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks in advance and have a great Memorial Day weekend.
  • Options
    prophetprophet Member Posts: 72
    Not as pronounced as before & less frequent. Has to be an exhaust baffle heat contraction issue.
  • Options
    leedleed Member Posts: 1
    About a week after purchase of my 2006 m45 the drivers side fog lamp was broken by a rock kicked up by a passing truck. The dealer I bought it from quoted me $250 for the light and $150 in labor to fix. I have checked on the internet and can by the fog lamp assembly for about $150. Does anyone know where I might find the instructions for replacing the fog lamp?
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    You can get online access to infiniti service manuals in PDF format, here. You can get a one day subscription for $20, and can download and save the PDF files on your hard disk by opening them in the browser first and then using the adobe save command. (The disk button)

There are just two problems (one's harder than the other)

1) You can't tell if the new M service manuals are available online until AFTER you pay your one day subscription fee. The last person I knew who checked was told they might be available in june. After he paid, he contacted infiniti at the email address given on that site and was given a credit which would allow access after the manuals become available.

2) (easier) The PDF files link to one another in an almost transparent way. However when you do a save you're only saving the currently open file. So you need to be careful that you're saving every PDF file that you may need for future reference. Everything works fine if you save them all in the same directory, and start by opening the top level one there.

Pete
  • Options
    drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Read today that Nissan is working on a hybrid Altima for MY 2007 release - can a hybrid Infiniti be that far behind?
  • Options
    mqueen1mqueen1 Member Posts: 5
    In the mail today I received a questionnaire from JD Powers. I have had zero defects in the M35x and I don't mind telling people about it. They even included a 1$ bill in the envelope. That clinched it. The forms look like they would take a good 30 minutes to fill out. No way I am going to let JD Powers profit from my insight for what amounts to a measly 1/2 cup of coffee! :mad:
  • Options
    Crash tests for the M35\45 should be very good, but I think the car is too new for any NHTSA or IIHS tests. The only cars that seem to do poorly these days are cars that are tested without any kind of side impact protection.
  • Options
    shivanshivan Member Posts: 34
    I'm going to be negotiating a lease later today, anyone know the latest IFS Lease rates on a 39mo/15k miles m35x with and without security deposit
  • Options
    jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    You wuld think, however the G35 did not fo all the well in the rear crash. The M35 is the "big Brother". I just hope he is the bigger, better built brother as well. I plan on using this as a daily driver and a weekend romper (with family). Just would like some reassurance that it is safe.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I received my questionnaire a month ago. It wasn't that difficult to fill out and took me less than 10 minutes. I felt it was good to fill out as people are always touting the JD Powers quality scores and I wanted to make sure my input was included...
  • Options
    dickster1dickster1 Member Posts: 22
    My 39 month lease with a list price of $50,500 ran $650/mo plus tax. There was no money down (except first month payment), no security deposit and no other fees.

My dealer went way out of his way to find me a car. Maybe this isn't the best bottom line, but the deal worked for me. He even paid my last month payment on my 2001 A6 lease to sew the deal up.