Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 vs. Acura TL

Comments

• pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    cgrisboth, there is no reviews for G35 and TL, in fact there is no numbers for TL anywhere. I was expressing my opinion.

mbednorth, "tail_out" sensation is very nice when there is no other cars around, in fact FWD has a better acceleration of the corner, but RWD getting in to the corner better. So my point is that you drive cars differently.

FDW can't handle high hp(300+), that's why you dont see many FWD sport cars.
  • thegre8tonethegre8tone Member Posts: 4
    All this great talk of the great interior of the TL does you NO good once it starts to rattle...In matter of fact, there have been several complaints of rattles already from the TL owners in various TL forums on the internet already. Even my Japan made 97 Prelude rattled when the car had less than 1000 miles on it...It just got worse from there! That's why I'll never buy another Honda/Acura product again...
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    "I like the slight "tail-out" sensation when I accelerate in a turn"

That slight "tail-out" sensation will get you killed in snow or ice.
  • chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    "FWD has a better acceleration of the corner, but RWD getting in to the corner better. So my point is that you drive cars differently."

This is true to some extent - I'm a former Acura owner. BUT - It's not only the entry to the turn that is different it's the transition of weight from front to rear as you apply just the right amount of gas (a little oversteer please) and EXIT the turn with a little correction that puts the car in the perfect exit line and with minimal loss of momentum. The FWD car at the apex will be going slower and have to accelerate harder to maintain the same average speed because the accelaration is optimal only once the wheels are in the right line...wheels that steer and drive have a hard time unless pointed in the least resistant direction - straight with equal R/L distribution.

And the FWD seems faster I think as was fun at times...the scrubbing and understeer In my OK integra made me annoyed after 7 years.
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    You can get annoyed after driving any car for 7 years.
  • 95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    Yup some have had rattles (most the first couple thousand built). I have a 2001 cl, still as rock solid as when i bought it. Face it some cars will have rattles some will not. I think overall honda makes pretty solid cars. Sorry your prelude was not one of the winners.

PS: most rattles can be fixed for good by the dealer.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    If you avoid a car just because it rattles, then you'll be taking the bus. Well, actually buses rattle like crazy. I guess you'd better walk, but make sure your fillings are tight!
    Well, the prices for the AWD G35 has been released. $48,200 for the AWD with Premium and Nav. So basically $4200 for the AWD system compared to the TL. For those of us in the Great White North, a loaded 260hp AWD sedan for under $50K should be considered a godsend, and certainly has me thinking. Anyone thinks it's worth the additional $$$ over the TL?
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Not where I live (Toronto). We really don't get that much snow. My TL 6MT with snows is more than sufficient but I'd choose an AWD G35 6MT over the more expensive Audi A4 Quattro ($52,310 for Prem & Nav), any day. BTW, is the AWD G35 available with 6MT? If not, it should be.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    You don't mind me asking if you have an Infiniti and where did you purchase it?

bodble2-Traffic? Haven't you seen the new FX commercials? When you're in an Infiniti, doesn't traffic stop?

Infiniti has a hand up on fit and finish. I seriously doubt an average TL will last as long as an average G35.

VQ has been rated many places as one of the best engines ever. And you are telling me it's not refined? And the 3.5? That thing is geared to perfection. How many times have you bucked or the car was found to be lagging? Chances are never.
    "Haven't you seen the new FX commercials? When you're in an Infiniti, doesn't traffic stop?"

I guess so. You can't drive when your eyes are watering.

"I seriously doubt an average TL will last as long as an average G35."

It would likely last longer.

"How many times have you bucked or the car was found to be lagging?"

Dunno. I don't own one.
    G35 AWD is not available with 6MT.

BTW, not much snow in TO? Really? Out here in Lotusland we always hear of the storms you guys get out there.
    My eyes were watering after that one too. I almost forgot when you own an Infiniti, you can tell the rain to stop to. That might work for snow as well. So who needs AWD?
    Maybe one or two big storms a season...that's it. I judge by how many times I have to use the snow blower on my driveway and last year I only used it less than a hand full of times. Don't forget, we Torontonians do a lot of belly-aching for even the slightest amount of snow. Remember when Mel Lastman (our outbound mayor) called out the army a couple of years ago? Oh, the ribbing we took from our friends in Montréal...
  • montrealloumontreallou Member Posts: 25
    We have a lot of snow in Montreal, and have never had an issue with a FWD My friends with homes in cottage country might want to consider an AWD, but I think in this weather, paying for AWD is an extra cost over the TL's FWD. AWD doesn't buy you much.
    Has anyone considered the affect AWD will have on the G35 brakes? One dealer told me the brake wear problem was due to VSC working to correct the cars trajectory. will AWD make that worse? Just a question.
    The additional traction offered by the 4 possibly driven wheels would only leave less for the VDC to do. I don't buy this. Perhaps the folks getting 5k on a set of pads/rotors are killing thier cars allt he time with VDC light on ALL the time - like in the loaner! I'm changing out at 17k or so and it's not from the VDC I can assure you. Traction control reduces engine power - my propensities are here.
    But it only initiates when the car is pushed to "the max." If you compare it to the BMW, the Bimmer VSC kicks in with the slightest body lean. Same on the I35. But the G35, in my mind, perfected the VDC. For snow I would recommend Blizzaks, and no Sport Package. I know people that have gotten through the previous few snowstorms no problem.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "If you compare it to the BMW, the Bimmer VSC kicks in with the slightest body lean."

That is not my experience with the car. While I can't compare it with the G35, the DSC has only come on a couple of times in the time I've owned it. Most noticably with slick conditions and flogging the car usually around turns. And it's very unobstrusive.

But I'm not sure of what the point is on that.
    but since we're talking about snow and stuff. Is it absolutely necessary, as car and tire dealers insist, that for a FWD with ABS and traction control, you must install snow tires on all 4 wheels, rather then just 2 on the drive wheels? I realize having 4 snow tires will help braking and cornering somewhat, but I can't see how just having 2 will hinder the ABS or trac control?

I used only 2 snow tires on my previous '95 Maxima (ABS but no trac) and it worked just fine.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I thought with Infinity's AWD system, that it actually improves cornerning and grip besides traction in bad weather. At least that was my understanding with the FX45. The only downside would be the added weight that would reduce acceleration numbers. Oh well. Also, no manual is bad.
    I missed most of it Saturday and caught it at the end ...just in time to hear them mention the body roll and "slight" understeer. Looks like a good review overall.
  • 1hopeck1hopeck Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know if either engine uses a belt driven cams for the valve train? I have always had chain driven or gear driven engines, which never broke or had any maintance

I have heard about Honda belts breaking and then the engine is shot.
    ... the TL episode can also be seen on Speed Channel. Here is the programming schedule:
    http://www.speedtv.com/programs/37/
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    I test drove a g35 rwd and the salesman told me the 4wd is not awd. It splits the drive 70/30 rear/front. Of the first 20 or so posts here I read comparisons of awd and fwd, but no one mentioned this ratio. That should have an affect on handling, right?

Eddie G
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    That it had a similiar system to the FX45, in that in normal driving conditions it is a 30/70 split, but that this changes as potential slippage occures to specific wheels. That means it can change to virtually all power in rear or front depending on driving condition, and it does this instantaneously.
    Wonder what the salesman meant by that?! It is AWD.
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    I meant the salesman said it is not 4wd.

Sorry.

Just to tell my situation, I test drove the rwd g because the awd wasn't prepped and the salesman said the ride is pretty much the same. I need to do an extensive test drive with the awd. I also test drove the tl and loved it!! I really need to do an extensive test drive with that.

With all the debates about the 2 cars it comes down (imho) to this: Do you want a luxury sedan or a sport sedan? It seems for every post saying "get the g" there is someone saying "get the tl".

Of course this only applies to those who find both cars equally appealing.

Eddie
  • klayfishklayfish Member Posts: 48
    You should check Infiniti's site and read about the ATESSA AWD system. It is not a true 4WD system, nor does it split 30/70.

In a nutshell, what Inifniti says it does is split 25/75 from a dead stop up to about 12 mph, then splits power as needed, which under dry conditions likely will be 0/100. So it acts as a RWD car unless needed. There is a "snow" button that will split power 50/50 from a dead stop, then decide on its' own what is needed.

Very sophistacted and a great compromise between RWD and the advantages of AWD
  • ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
    After reading all the past postings this morning and having test driven both the TL and the G35, I agree with almost all of the comments on this board, with a couple of exceptions: One being the FWD being better for snow. I believe this is because 60% of the weight is over the driving wheels but this produces a greater plowing effect when manoevering. Honda has been able to tame this effect, probably better than most manufacturers. A second comment is that all season tires are a compromise. One should use dedicated winter tires and summer tires to get the most safety and handling for any car. That said, the FWD has no huge advantage in winter driving. If the TL had RWD/AWD, it would be the no brainer choice. If the G35 gets an improved interior and reduced the nosie level, it would be the no brainer choice. Hopefully that will be realized within the next 2 years as my wife will be in need of another car (don't want to pay the price of the 330i). From my POV (I have a 540i), I much prefer the dynamics of the G35 but interiors/noise levels do count so Honda wins out here.
  • marquis2marquis2 Member Posts: 25
    I just test drove the G35 and TL (for the second time) the other day and I'm going with the TL (I also drive an S60, but it wasn't what I was looking for). The G35 was more fun to drive than the TL, but I didn't like the interior of the G35 and getting it with the AWD (which is really the only practical option here in New England IMO), the G35 is more that likely going to cost somewhat more than the TL.

In both cases I drove the AT versions of the cars (I'd be sleeping on the couch if I came home with a manual :-). While both cars have Sport Shift autos, the G35 felt like it left you more in control. The TL seems to be less willing to let you push the limits when shifting. All in all, the G35 felt more like it was more deisgned for performance driving first, luxury sedan second while the TL was slightly more biased the other way.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    "A second comment is that all season tires are a compromise. One should use dedicated winter tires and summer tires to get the most safety and handling for any car."

This suggestion should be qualified with a very big IF. That is, IF one lives in a place where there's snow/ice on the road most of the winter, and the winter lasts for a long time.

Here in Washington, DC it snows from time to time in the winter, but you typically have no more than a total of 15 days during the entire winter, when conditions would warrant using snow tires. For the rest of the winter you're driving on clean roads free of snow and ice. By your logic, we'd have to swap the tires every other day.

All-season tires ARE a great compromise for an overwhelming majority of the US. Canada, might be a different story, but you have to remember that you're posting to audience from several countries.
    I had little choice really. The 6-spd TL in Canada only comes with summer performance tires. So, I got a set of high performance winter tires put on (my first time ever) and I have to tell you...I will never go back to all seasons again. My only advise if you go this route is to get a set of top-notch winter tires that perform superbly on both ice/snow and dry pavement.
    No question the best setup is summer tires and then switch to winter tires for winter. But I have to balance that off with the expense of buying 4 extra sets of tires/rims, the hassle of changeover twice a year, and the headache of storing 4 sets of big and bulky tires/rims and lugging them over to the dealer or gas station for the changeover. So I compromise and just go with all-seasons and buy new ones before they get too worn down. If I were to live somewhere with harsh winter conditions, I would opt for AWD vebicle instead.
  • raherraher Member Posts: 99
    I live in Seattle and we get all kinds of weather. It even rains occasionally. It snows once every few years and occasionally the sun shines. This is an area where all season tires serve a purpose. I have had all season tires on most of the cars I have owned except I put Yokahama A008's on my CRX and went through them pretty quickly. Most of the all seasons are an obvious compromise in that they do everything pretty well but don't do anything really well.
    That was before I put Bridgestone LS-Z's on my new TL. They are very quiet and you can drive the pee out of them. They are on the expensive side but you get what you pay for. They also have a 40K warranty so I think I am getting the best of all worlds. I know I could spring for a set of really zoot summer tires but the minute it starts raining ( that happens any season here ) I would be back to tip toeing.
    Good all seasons are a good investment in this part of the country.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Raher: Please explain the procedure in installing LS-Zs on a NEW car. Do you make an arrangement with the Acura dealer or do you drive directly to a Bridgestone tire dealer & negotiate an upgrade trade??? Thanks
    Out of curiosity, how has the all season tires performed in these past few days with snow in the Seattle area? Incidentally, almost all high performance summer tires have superior wet traction. You'll note performance tires have large channels for water dispersion - they're designed for dry and wet performance but not for low temperature and snow traction (wrong tread pattern and lack of snipes). In terms of cost, it'll work out the same over the life of the 2 sets of tires. If one wants to maximize what this fantastic car has to offer, it's no convenience at all - it's just common sense. Better safe than sorry. The Pacific Northwest coast has been fortunate in that there's been virtually no snow or low temperatures in the past 5 years.
  • raherraher Member Posts: 99
    billhermann
    I didn't negotiate anything. I went to Costco and plunked down the $980 and drove away. The EL's are wrapped and are in storage under my house. I will put them back on when I eventually trade the car or sell it. I don't know if the dealer would have negotiated or not. I am waiting to see if anything comes of the tire issue with Acura. If something materializes I will go get some money.
    My wife drives the TL the majority of the time and is in the car all day every day ( sales ) so I am willing to spend whatever it takes to increase her safety and comfort. Oh yeah, I also get to drive the dickens out of the tires when I am in the car !

awog
    My TL has been in the garage for the last week during the snow and very cold weather so I can't comment on how they perform. The temperature for the last week here has been in the 20's and 30's and has gone back and forth between rain and snow. The LS-Z's are excellent in the rain.
    I drove the car today but it is sunny and 24 degrees ( farenheit that is ). My wife is recovering from pnuenomia and is house bound so the car isn't being driven because I have a 5.9 litre Dodge Durango and just love to be out in nasty weather with it. I have Michelin M&S and they are the best tires I have ever owned..period. Nowhere I can't go in any weather wet or dry.
    "The EL's are wrapped and are in storage under my house. I will put them back on when I eventually trade the car or sell it."

You're my hero!!! That's a briliant suggestion. I'll do the same. This way I know I'd be selling my car with new tires, which plays very nicely on trade-in. I use Costco as well; they only charge $9 per tire to mount and balance!
    Wow had never really priced out the G35 6 speed just going by what people had been saying. I am assuming since it is a low production car they are not going for much discount. Using the TMV not even fully loading the car up the price was 36k. That is more expensive than the MSRP of the TL. Kind of makes my decision a little easier
    You are a price buyer and not a performance buyer? Check out the accord too and save 6k more.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "You are a price buyer and not a performance buyer?"

I buy on price also, has to be under $75K. :)
    He can be both. I think the TL 6-speed would match up pretty well with the G35, if not better, for the average driver driving on public roads within sane speeds.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    G35 and TL'04 are comparable because they are not family sedan. They both have sporty +luxury features and they both are fast.

G35 has these features that TL does not
    1. Compass
    2. Dusk sensing headlamps
    3. RWD
    4. First aid kit

While TL has and G35 does not :
    1. FWD
    2. Trip computer
    3. Power glass sunroof
    4. Chrome grill
    5. Passenger air bag sensing
    6. Auto delay off headlamps
    7. Height adjustable seats (driver& passenger)
    8. Multilevel heating seats
    9. Reverse tilt dual mirrors
    10. Telescopic steering wheel
    11. Universal remote for garage, security system
    12. dual climate control
    13. Memory seats for 2 drivers
    14. Memorized setting for exterior mirror for 2 drivers
    15. 5.1 DVD-A audio clarity
    16. Bluetooth ability

Comparable feature that both car has:
    1. Horsepower TL has is 270 > G35 260
    2. Torque TL has is 238 < G35 260
    3. Wiper TL var.intermitten <> G35 Intermitten
    4. Power driver seats setting TL 10 ways > G35 8 ways
    5. Stereo output TL 225 watts > G35 120 watts
    6. Speakers TL has 8 > G35 6
    7. Tire size TL has 17X8 > G35 has 17X7

All other features are the same like leather seats, gasoline type needed, ext temp, rear defrogger, xenon lights, power passenger seats, heated mirrors, AM/FM/6CD, ABS both car has.
    "4. First aid kit"

LOL!
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Check the car your self, it comes with it while TL doesn't.

More comparable items :
    8. G35 has 3.5l engine > TL 3.2l engine
    9. G35 uses DOHC <> TL SOHC
    10. MPG of TL is 19/29 and G35 18/26
    11. G35 base MSRP $30.690 while TL's base MSRP $33.195

But no optional features installed for these comparisons.

To my surprise even Nissan altima 3.5 has telescopic steering wheel with over $7k difference.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    If you configure the G as close as possible to a base TL in price and features, you get:

G35 Auto w/ Premium Package (MSRP $33,890):
    Reclining rear seats
    Heated passenger seatback
    Power entry/exit assist
    Rear auto up-down windows
    Compass
    Auto on-off headlights
    Slightly longer warranty
    Bigger trunk

TL Auto (MSRP $33,195):
    Auto reverse tilt side mirrors
    Telescopic steering wheel
    Memorized setting for side mirrors
    Power driver seat lumbar (manual in G35)
    DVD-a capability
    Bluetooth compatibility
    XM-radio
    Better gas mileage

I have often read that the TL offers more features than the G35, but I feel that the feature content is similar between the two cars, especially if you don't have a Bluetooth phone (most people don't) or many DVD-audio discs (most people don't). IMO, the TL has a better quality interior while the G is more fun to drive.
    Yeah I am a price buyer. If i find two things comparably priced and that have comparable performance than i will go with the cheaper. One of the things that i liked about the G35 was the torque, rear wheel drive, stick and exterior styling. I was willing to overlook the less impressive interior because i had believed it was a few k cheaper comparably equipped. I can live with FWD (as i am now in a cl type s) if that means i get a nicer interior, more gadgets at a lower price.

Like both cars a lot and will be interested in the upgraded 05 interior that i have heard rumors about is true for the G35
    I wasn't doubting that it came with First Aid Kit, I was just laughing cause I can't think of a much dumber thing to put as a standard equipment on a car.
    Don't all Bimmers come with them?
    My Bimmers never had first aid kits but my Mercedes had/have them. Personally, I like the idea of having a small kit. In Germany, cars are also outfitted with a fire extinguisher. My guess is that having a kit/extinguisher probably derived from the "old days" when taking a drive meant being away from emergency services.
This discussion has been closed.