Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• ragueroraguero Member Posts: 60
    Sometimes it pays to ask or/and complain. We ended up speaking with the owner of our Toyota dealership about our un-asked-for $500 paint sealer that was added to our Prius. He was very kind and friendly and offered to return $320 of the charge. It's good to know that not all dealership owners are avaricious cholos.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I highly suggest calling the Toyota corporate office at 1-800-GO TOYOTA. They have been very proactive in wanting to make sure Toyota customers get proper service. It's worth the phone call.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    This discussion is for Prices Paid - if you have purchased the vehicle, talk about the price and purchase experience here.

If you want to discuss the actual vehicle (mileage, technology, handling) please do so in the Toyota Prius 2004 discussion.

Please don't post the same messages in both discussions...discuss it one place or the other, but not both.

thanks...
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I have purchased a total of 20 cars from Adams Toyota in the KC area. I get excellent service and a discount on all accessories, etc. They also give a $50.00 "bird-dog" payment to the person who refers new buyers. Buying from the same dealer gives you better cooperation from the service department. My purchases have been "house sales" without a salesman commission-I think. Besides, I know more about the automobiles than the sales force. They have also had me do a couple of TV commercials for them. Bottom line - stick with your dealer-he won't over-charge you either.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The Lexus dealer I have dealt with for over ten years will not special order me an LS430 nor a RX330. The dealer over on the dry side, 275 miles, will.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I hope m4eth has better luck with the next Toyota dealer he goes to.
  • terryh2uterryh2u Member Posts: 8
    I put $500 down on a new Prius, either option #4 or #6 back on 12/01 and I was told the car I ordered wouldn't arrive until Feb.
    Imagine my surprise when they called me to tell me that they had an option #8 coming on 12/18. They gave me an option to get that car and get the $2000 tax credit or I could wait until Feb. to get the one I ordered, but, I would only get a $1500 tax credit. The next week, they called me to tell me that it had arrived, A Full Week Earlier! Although I paid MSRP, the smile on my wife's face more than makes up for the extra cost.
  • shmunsonshmunson Member Posts: 20
    Several questions:
    1) This first question comes from my understanding of how hard it is for an engine during the first few moments after start up. When you start an engine, oil begins pumping to the parts that need lubricating. The momentary lack of oil can take it toll on an engine. When the Prius starts, it is typically under an immediate load. How come this isn't stressful (or is it)on the engine and its need for lubrication?

2) A salesperson in Chantilly VA told me recently that the delivery of Prius's with the navi are being delayed because of the EPA (EPA?What?)? Does anyone know anything about this?

3)Why do sales people knowingly answer questions incorrectly before saying "I don't know the answer to that question?" Recently, my brother and I went for a Prius test drive. The sales person was putting it through the paces and I said to my brother, "Notice how there isn't a 'shifting' effect." The the sales person stated that was because the car is "drive by-wire". No. CVT! I didn't correct the sales person but man alive. Less is more my friend.

4)I know that heat is available from the ICE. But is there also an electric heater?

5)Any regrets on a particular color from any owners?

6) The Tideland pearl (green) appears lighter in the brochure than in person (I compared to a car at the dealer). Has anyone noticed this or was my comparison unique?

Thanks in advance to all of you that respond to my several (many) questions. Have a great New Year everyone.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    1) ...The momentary lack of oil can take it toll on an engine.

The electric motor spins the engine until oil pressure is established, then fuel is provided. So by the time the first spark occurs, the engine is already spinning between 800 & 1000 RPM. That is a drastic improvement over the 100 RPM a traditional starter can accomplish, making startup a non-issue.

4) ...is there also an electric heater?

Yes, there are 2 little ones to help with window clearing.

JOHN
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There have been other reports here that Tideland Green is darker in person than in the brochure--almost a medium grey color. I am personally interested in that because that's my first choice for color on the Prius I ordered. If you happen to have or can find in the library the Car & Driver issue with the 10Best for 2004 (a couple of months ago), their Prius was Tideland Pearl and you can get an idea of how dark it is from those pictures.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I saw a Tideland pearl Prius on the street recently. At first I couldn't figure out what color it was. It's much darker than the samples on the web sites. Almost a gray color. Not particularly attractive, imo. I also saw a blue one. I liked it .
    > Not particularly attractive, imo.

Just wait until you see them everywhere. Dark gray used to be very popular. So like with many other color trends, it seems to be making a come back.

JOHN
  • terryh2uterryh2u Member Posts: 8
    Our Prius is a Tideland Pearl and both my wife and I thought that it was darker than what was in the brochure. Although our first choice was the blue, we are happy with the Tideland Pearl Green/Gray we received. Also, has anyone noticed that strange "bumping" sound when sitting at idle. The dealer said it was nothing to be concerned about, but I wander if it's happening to others. Any input?
    Most bearing surfaces have a thin film of oil on them for quite some time after the last ICE "run". My shop manual for the 03 shows an electric cabin heater if the car is shipped "north".
  • talleyidtalleyid Member Posts: 34
    Congratulations and Merry Christmas...to you! I think you're gonna love it!
  • djg1701djg1701 Member Posts: 2
    Got a call in November from the dealer saying the Prius with the color & package I ordered was here. He said it was purchased by the dealer and it is on the way. Already through customs (Yes, Yes, of course, he said).
    But since then, the dealer can't give me a VIN number (he says they don't have access to the VIN or part of it until the car arrives at the dealership) and cannot get a status on it (A, F freight/ship?, or G - ground/truck? - I think these are the letters). He also, of course, cannot give me an accurate arrival date. (The last such date he suggested was two weeks ago today). I'm thinking the worst -- that I'm just being fed a line or two.
    Or, do you think, that the information from Toyota really all this bad and all he is saying is on the up & up?
    My current car is not going to last another month, and I'm torn between hoping not to get stuck without a vehicle and renting a wreck in the meantime with no idea of when one is coming... or just leaving the Prius behind moving on to something else.
    Ugh. Thoughts?
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    After getting an avg of 53mpg and being down to three bars on the gas gauge I decided to fill up. Just filled until the pump stopped then quit, 6.57 gals. Started driving and of course the screen reset. But then the avg mpg went crazy - first showing 90mpg then 69, then75 then 56 then 68 etc etc. is this because the 99.9 throws the avg out of whack until you get around 50 miles on the odo? If not, I have a problem. Has anybody else experienced this?

I did find that the further I drove the lower the avg mpg went until around 90 miles the consumption screen was showing an avg of 52 mpg. I am happy with this since it was driving home to Western North Carolina (Lots of Mountains) from the Atlanta area.
    When you fuel up whatever is left over from charging the batteries from/with the previous tank is "free" as far as the mileage computer is concerned.

I suppose that if you happen to refuel at about the same time the batteries reach full charge the MPG might get you into orbit.
  • geogirlgeogirl Member Posts: 24
    I don't know about your dealer, but this is what my dealer said. I put down a deposit a couple of weeks ago on a Prius that the dealer had ordered previously. They called and told me on Dec. 16 that it was in the port and due to arrive at the dealership on Dec. 26 (they estimated 10 days. Got a call on Dec 23 that it was here and I could pick it up on Christmas Eve which I did. My salesman never knew the exact date that it would arrive, but based on prior experiences made a good guess. Hope this helps.
    My theft deterrent light is flashing. Does it do that all the time when the car is off? It does it regardless of whether the car is locked or unlocked. I've just had the car a couple of days and not sure what is "normal".
    > But then the avg mpg went crazy

It's working perfectly.

You pulled away from the gas station with a very warm engine. That allowed you to drive on that city street using mostly electricity. So what you saw what an accurate depiction of the MPG you were actually getting. Most likely, you haven't ever noticed that you can achieve 99.9 MPG even without the engine stopped.

Just press RESET sometime, you'll see the same thing happen.

In the classic design, it was easier to tell what was happening. The update-rate of the MPG immediately after RESET was much more frequent. Toyota intentionally impaired it in the 2004 because some people didn't like the numbers flying by so quickly. Now it appears as though the limited information causes confusion the first time an owner witnesses it. Oh well. Now you know.

JOHN
    > My theft deterrent light is flashing.

It always does, since the Alarm & SE/SS sensors are always active (unless you push the button to disable SE/SS).

JOHN
    Thanks, John, for the information. My husband was concerned that it would drain the battery.

This car is SO different from any other that we have had - it takes some getting used to. So far I LOVE it. It was really fun last night. We drove through the Mile High Light display (you pay to drive through a display of lights and proceeds go to Make A Wish Foundation - mostly on electric the whole time. I was worried that the battery would be drained and in fact, it did get low enough that the gas engine kicked on to recharge it.
  • shmunsonshmunson Member Posts: 20
    Ok, I think I suspected that John1701a would have the answers to my questions. So thanks John. But also thanks to everyone else concerning the colors and heater questions.

However, there is no reply yet to the "delay" to cars with the navi. Or was this again, just a salesperson coming up with an answer and playing the idea, "I think it is better to give a wrong answer than it is to say 'You know I don't know why'?".

Any sales people out there. Is it just taught not to say, "I don't know." I can understand the hesitation in doing so. If this is so, let me give an alternate quote: "I don't know, but I will find out." For a customer like me, I would rather hear 12 of those during a test drive than one flat out lie.

thanks again to everyone's response to my answers. Happy New year.
    Why don't you ask the salesperson in Chantilly who made the statement about nav-equipped Priuses being delayed because of the EPA to explain what he/she meant, maybe provide some additional details? If it's just a salesperson "coming up with an answer", that's one way to tell.
  • quasar4quasar4 Member Posts: 110
    Regarding the EPA/navigation "connection," the salesman I talked to said that package #9 cars (and any other package that comes with a GPS/DVD) take longer to deliver because Toyota does not install the navigation system themselves but rather contracts out the work to a separate company --thus the delay.
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    Thanks to both WWest and John. Thought it must be something splainable but had to be sure.
    to Toyota and ask them if this is true.
    (with an experience similar to buying a Prius nowadays) I walked into the dealer, ordered up the Odyssey before Thanksgiving, got $500 off and the dealer said they'd call me when the van came in.
     Then, a few days before Christmas 2001, the dealer called to say that my Odyssey arrived, and that I'd need to pick a date to pick the van up. I decided on the day after Christmas, so I went down and picked it up. The dealer gave me no contact between Thanksgiving and the day the truck with the van pulled into their lot, and I never got my VIN until I saw the van.
  • alnvilmaalnvilma Member Posts: 19
    Perhaps "rebate" was the wrong choice of words.
    Toyota Customer Service provided a loyalty payment due to my complaint about a specific dealer error; sold my car to someone else.
    A magnanimous gesture by Toyota to appease this repeat customer.
    The dealer came through with a replacement auto within the initial prescribed delivery time frame.
    Now with 1200 miles averaging 43mpg in the cool winter on short commutes. Very pleased with the effective cost after the $1500 Oregon tax credit.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    ...and was pretty much under whelmed by the experience.

It was a Salsa Red Pearl with Package Group 8, 414 miles on the odometer. Saleslady told me it was being used solely for test drives as every other Prius they had already received was sold and there was a 6 month waiting list for new ones coming in.

I liked how the car looked on the outside...very sleek and futuristic. It was taller than I expected and very easy to get in and out of. The beige interior already showed signs of wear and tear with visible scuff marks and stains on the upholstery. Not sure I like the massive dashboard top that spreads out a la Volkswagon New Beetle...I couldn't see the front of the car at all. The rear visibility to me was atrocious...I don't like the split view of the back window.

Saleslady showed me the key fob and how it goes into the receptacle on the dash. This car had the Smart Entry and Start System which was pretty nifty. She powered the car up and started to mess with the color display screen (after clearing the warning message that I assume comes on every time you start the car). I was pleasantly surprised by the way some of the indicators (like turn signals) seemed to be suspended in space ahead of and to the sides of the recessed speedo and fuel readouts.

I was allowed to drive the car right off the lot. First thing I noticed was a hesitation in response time after the throttle was pressed. It felt like there was a delay between when you pressed the throttle and getting forward motion. It was annoying to me. Once the car gained some momentum, the acceleration was better but not sporty by any means.

Coming to a stoplight, I found the brakes to be too grabby. If it wasn't for the seat belt I probably would have hit the windshield with my head! Modulation of the brakes took some getting used to and required a feather touch. At the stoplight I could hear (and feel!) the gas engine running. After about 15 seconds I could definitely feel the gas engine shut down. It was a rather lengthy stoplight and after about 40-45 seconds more I felt the gas engine kick on again. My only guess why it was doing this at a stop light was to provide heat to the cabin?

I tried the voice activation system by pressing the button, but couldn't get it to work. The female voice kept saying something to the effect of "Voice Recognition time is over." The saleslady had no idea what that meant, so we pulled over and started messing around with the User Screens. Still couldn't get it to work. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong...I was pressing and holding the button on the steering wheel. Apparently all you have to do is just lightly press the button once, wait for the beep and then say your command. OK, so I gave it a try and commanded "Set temperature 68 degrees". The system responded by setting the temperature to 70 degrees. Hmmm...at least it altered the correct system and didn't turn on the radio. Does one have to train the system to recognize your voice?

I messed around with some of the other functions on the display screen. I'll tell you what, if you're not careful this thing can be a major distraction. While driving I was alternating between glancing at the energy usage monitor and keeping my eyes on the road. I almost missed a stop sign because I was too entranced with the gee-whiz graphics. I also found out that at certain angles the display was washed out by the low position of the sun. Average fuel economy after the test drive read 29.0 MPG, but this included miles driven before me since I did not reset the trip computer.

The car rode nicely, the suspension swallowing bumps and minor potholes without complaint. Handling around corners was only so-so, then again that's not what this car was designed to do. Some body roll, but nothing that would require you to hang on for dear life.

All in all, based on what I was reading in this forum, I was expecting a thoroughly enjoyable driving experience. But the throttle lag, grabby brakes, inconsistent voice recognition and quirky design elements led to a rather under whelming test drive.

I guess this car is just not for me. To those of you who love it, more power to you. It's nice to be able to find a car that fulfills your wants and needs. The Prius, for me anyway, is not that car.
    > very sleek and futuristic

A great endorsement for that aspect.

> I don't like the split view of the back window

Did you notice that all traffic needs are fulfilled using just the top part? The bottom is only for close situations, like parking, since it comes down further than windows in traditional cars. Regardless, not everyone likes the same things. Personal preference.

> First thing I noticed was a hesitation in response
    > time after the throttle was pressed. It felt like
    > there was a delay between when you pressed the
    > throttle and getting forward motion.

Emphasis on the word "FELT".

The initial launch is a common misunderstanding among those taking test-drives, until they realize the car is in fact moving already. The dead quiet, vibrationless aspect of the electric drive leaves people wanting more. Then when the engine kicks in, they get the noise & vibration they were expecting.

So the next time you take a test-drive, use your eyes instead. Watch the speedometer. Ignore traditional feedback that the ears (sound) & butt (feel) usually provide. Then report back to us.

> Coming to a stoplight, I found the brakes to be too
    > grabby. If it wasn't for the seat belt I probably
    > would have hit the windshield with my head!

Whoa! How old are the brakes on your current vehicles? You are almost certainly feeling the difference between new & old shoes & pads, not technologies. I have never heard a 2004 report so extreme. But I have felt that difference before when replacing the brakes on my Taurus.

> felt the gas engine kick on again

You must have had the heater or blower set really high. Using the lowest settings, I can approach a stoplight with the engine off already and usually keep it off the entire wait.

> Does one have to train the system to recognize your voice?

Nope, you just have to say the command exactly as programmed. Extra words confuse it. "68 Degrees" is all that's needed.

> I guess this car is just not for me.

There's no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to what you drive. That's why HSD will be available later in a bunch of other vehicles too.

JOHN
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I have not tried this yet. Do you suggest I press the button momentarily and then speak "75 degrees" or "CD 4" or something like that? Do I have to train the system to my voice? What can you get the voice command to do? Thanks for your above comments.
    Audio
    Audio On
    Audio Off

Radio
    AM
    AM Radio
    FM
    FM Radio
    FM1
    FM2
    Program
    Seek Down
    Seek Up

CD
    CD Changer
    Disc Down
    Disc Up
    Next Disc
    Next Track
    Next Track
    Previous Disc
    Previous Track
    Previous Track
    Skip Backward
    Track Down
    Track Up

SAT
    SAT1
    SAT2
    SAT3
    Satellite Radio
    Satellite Radio 1
    Satellite Radio 2
    Satellite Radio 3
    Type Down
    Type Up

Cassette
    Tape
    Fast Forward
    Play
    Reverse
    Rewind
    Automatic Air Conditioning
    Automatic Air Conditioning Off
    Automatic Air Conditioning On

Cooler
    Warmer

Lower Temperature
    Raise Temperature

Temperature 65 Degrees
    Temperature 66 Degrees
    Temperature 67 Degrees
    Temperature 68 Degrees
    Temperature 69 Degrees
    Temperature 70 Degrees
    Temperature 71 Degrees
    Temperature 72 Degrees
    Temperature 73 Degrees
    Temperature 74 Degrees
    Temperature 75 Degrees
    Temperature 76 Degrees
    Temperature 77 Degrees
    Temperature 78 Degrees
    Temperature 79 Degrees
    Temperature 80 Degrees
    Temperature 81 Degrees
    Temperature 82 Degrees
    Temperature 83 Degrees
    Temperature 84 Degrees
    Temperature 85 Degrees

65 Degrees
    66 Degrees
    67 Degrees
    68 Degrees
    69 Degrees
    70 Degrees
    71 Degrees
    72 Degrees
    73 Degrees
    74 Degrees
    75 Degrees
    76 Degrees
    77 Degrees
    78 Degrees
    79 Degrees
    80 Degrees
    81 Degrees
    82 Degrees
    83 Degrees
    84 Degrees
    85 Degrees
    Airport
    American Food
    American Restaurant
    Amusement Park
    ATM
    Auto Club
    Auto Service
    Auto Service and Maintenance
    Automobile Club
    Bank
    Barber Shops
    Beauty and Barber Shops
    Botanical Garden
    Bus Station
    Business Facility
    Campground
    Car Wash
    Casino
    Chinese Food
    Chinese Restaurant
    Cinema
    City Center
    City Hall
    Civic Center
    Coffee House
    College
    Community Center
    Commuter Rail Station
    Continental Food
    Continental Restaurant
    Convenience Store
    Convention Center
    Court House
    Current Location
    Current Position
    Department Store
    Detour
    Detour Entire Route
    Dry Cleaning
    Exhibition Center
    Fast Food
    Ferry Terminal
    Fitness Club
    French Food
    French Restaurant
    Gas
    Gas Station
    Go Home
    Golf
    Golf Course
    Government Offices
    Grocery Store
    Health and Fitness Club
    Higher Education
    Historical Monument
    Home
    Home and Garden
    Horse Racing
    Hospital
    Hotel
    Ice Cream Parlor
    Italian Food
    Italian Restaurant
    Japanese Food
    Japanese Restaurant
    Library
    Marina
    Mexican Food
    Mexican Restaurant
    Museum
    National and State Parks
    National Parks
    Other Automotive
    Other Automotive Stores
    Other Business
    Other Business Facilities
    Other Financial
    Other Financial Services
    Other Food
    Other Restaurant
    Other Retail
    Other Retail Stores
    Park
    Park and Recreation
    Parking
    Parking Garage
    Parking Lot
    Performing Arts
    Pharmacy
    Police Station
    Post Office
    Rental Car
    Rental Car Agency
    Rest Area
    Rest Stop
    Restaurant
    School
    Seafood
    Seafood Restaurant
    Service and Maintenance
    Shopping
    Shopping Mall
    Ski Resort
    Skiing
    Specialty Food
    Specialty Food Store
    Speedway
    Sports Complex
    Stadium
    Thai
    Theater
    Tourist Attraction
    Tourist Information
    Train Station
    Triple A
    University
    Video Rental
    Winery
    Zoo
    Zoological Garden
    I'm Hungry

POI Off

Route Overview

Compass Mode

Heading Up
    North Up

Louder
    Softer

Repeat
    Repeat Voice

Cancel
    No
    Yes

Short

Mark
    Mark This Point

Zoom In
    Zoom Out

Lexus Dealer
    Lexus Dealership
    Toyota Dealer
    Toyota Dealership

Previous Start Point
    Previous Starting Point

Right Map Direction
    Right Map Heading Up
    Right Map North Up
    Right Map Zoom In
    Right Map Zoom Out

Add to Destination
    Cancel All Destinations
    Cancel Final Destination
    Cancel Next Destination
    Delete All Destinations
    Delete Final Destination
    Delete Next Destination
    Enter Destination
    Previous Destination
    Replace Destination

Arrow Guidance
    Arrow Guide
    Freeway Guidance
    Freeway Guide
    Guidance Screen on Freeway
    Intersection Guidance
    Intersection Guide
    Lane Guidance
    Repeat Guidance
    Resume Guidance
    Start Guidance
    Stop Guidance
    Suspend Guidance
    Turn List Guidance
    Turn List Guide

Dual Map
    Entire Route
    Entire Route Map
    Fifth Destination Map
    Final Destination Map
    First Destination Map
    Fourth Destination Map
    Map
    Map Direction
    Next Destination Map
    Second Destination Map
    Single Map
    Third Destination Map

Change to Arrow Guidance
    Change to Arrow Guide
    Change to Compass Mode
    Change to Dual Map
    Change to Freeway Guidance
    Change to Freeway Guide
    Change to Heading Up
    Change to Intersection Guidance
    Change to Intersection Guide
    Change to Lane Guidance
    Change to Map Direction
    Change to North Up
    Change to Single Map
    Change to Turn List Guidance
    Change to Turn List Guide

Go to Previous Destination
    Go to Quick Access 1
    Go to Quick Access 2
    Go to Quick Access 3
    Go to Quick Access 4
    Go to Quick Access 5
    Go to Quick Access Number 1
    Go to Quick Access Number 2
    Go to Quick Access Number 3
    Go to Quick Access Number 4
    Go to Quick Access Number 5
    Go to Start Point
    Go to Starting Point

Quick
    Quick 1
    Quick 2
    Quick Access 1
    Quick Access 2
    Quick Access 3
    Quick Access 4
    Quick Access 5
    Quick Access Number 1
    Quick Access Number 2
    Quick Access Number 3
    Quick Access Number 4
    Quick Access Number 5
    Sorry about the extreme length of the previous posts, but that was the only readable method of providing the complete list.

> Do you suggest I press the button momentarily and then...

Press the button.

Wait for the beep.

Speak a command listed above slowly & clearly.

> Do I have to train the system to my voice?

No.

> What can you get the voice command to do?

See the previous 4 posts.

JOHN
    So I guess the good news is, you won't have to wait 6 months for your next car! :-]

Thanks for the long review. I am a bit concerned about the dirty interior--my first two color choices have the ivory interior and I prefer it to grey. Maybe the grey interior would be better at hiding dirt. Also I know that demo cars can get some hard use--but it's puzzling why the dealer didn't do a better job keeping it clean, to give prospective buyers a good first impression. I drove a demo car with 1200 miles on it and the ivory interior looked perfect.

I have not noticed the hesitation and grabby brakes you mentioned, in multiple test drives; I thought the brake modulation was quite good. I did notice some roll on sharp cornering, e.g. taking cloverleafs and 180 turns much faster than the posted limits, but it didn't seem excessive. (The salesman encouraged me to push the car to the limit, so I did.) I didn't drive, nor order, a car with the nav system so I haven't tried the voice recognition.

Good luck in your search for a car that is more to your liking!
    > Did you notice that all traffic needs are fulfilled using just the top part? The bottom is only for close situations, like parking, since it comes down further than windows in traditional cars. Regardless, not everyone likes the same things. Personal preference. <

I think part of the problem, for me, is that the lower part of the back window is heavily tinted while the upper portion is not. The overall effect gives the impression of a really small back window that cuts across your field of view.

> The initial launch is a common misunderstanding among those taking test-drives, until they realize the car is in fact moving already. The dead quiet, vibrationless aspect of the electric drive leaves people wanting more. Then when the engine kicks in, they get the noise & vibration they were expecting.

So the next time you take a test-drive, use your eyes instead. Watch the speedometer. Ignore traditional feedback that the ears (sound) & butt (feel) usually provide. Then report back to us. <

I dunno...this was the single most annoying aspect of the test drive. At every stop sign or stop light that "feeling" of hesitation when I pressed the throttle was very unnerving and not confidence-inspiring at all. It would take a lot of willpower for me to ignore it.

> Whoa! How old are the brakes on your current vehicles? You are almost certainly feeling the difference between new & old shoes & pads, not technologies. I have never heard a 2004 report so extreme. But I have felt that difference before when replacing the brakes on my Taurus. <

I drive a 2002 Elantra with original brake equipment. I do agree that there will be a difference between old and new brakes, but what I experienced in the Prius was a bit much. Then again, maybe I need to check the brakes on my Elantra! ;-)

> You must have had the heater or blower set really high. Using the lowest settings, I can approach a stoplight with the engine off already and usually keep it off the entire wait. <

We had the internal temp set at 73 degrees and it was just slightly above freezing outside. I think the fan was operating around mid level...not full blast. The stoplight came up at the end of the dealership access road, so there really wasn't enough time for the car to warm up (I was the first person to drive it today).

> Nope, you just have to say the command exactly as programmed. Extra words confuse it. "68 Degrees" is all that's needed. <

That's probably what the problem was. I wonder if the system somehow mistook "set temperature" as "seventy". It would have been nice to have your list of commands available with me on the test drive, that way I could have ensured that the commands I spoke were authentic choices.
    > It would have been nice to have your list of commands available

That's why I posted it. I didn't want anyone else to miss out on the opportunity.

Thanks for sharing.

JOHN
    > Thanks for the long review. I am a bit concerned about the dirty interior--my first two color choices have the ivory interior and I prefer it to grey. Maybe the grey interior would be better at hiding dirt. Also I know that demo cars can get some hard use--but it's puzzling why the dealer didn't do a better job keeping it clean, to give prospective buyers a good first impression. I drove a demo car with 1200 miles on it and the ivory interior looked perfect. <

It was disappointing. You know what they say about first impressions. The scuff marks were on the center console lid and it looked like someone spilled some sort of liquid on the front passenger seat. To make matters worse, the top of the dash was dusty! The outside of the car, however, was clean and free of road grime and salt. The Salsa Red is a pretty color for the Prius.

> I have not noticed the hesitation and grabby brakes you mentioned, in multiple test drives; I thought the brake modulation was quite good. <

Like I allude to in my response to John, maybe the brakes on my Elantra are weak compared to the Prius. All I know is that the same pressure applied to the brakes in the Prius that I normally apply in my Elantra resulted in the Prius doing a nose-dive...kinda scared me for a quick second!

> Good luck in your search for a car that is more to your liking! <

Thanks!
    What a coincidence, I have a '01 Elantra! I think the Elantra's brake feel might be a bit softer than the Prius'. I test-drove a couple of new cars yesterday and noticed one seemed touchier than the other, so I had to adjust a bit but then had no problem. Every car is probably a little different in that regard, but once I know how it acts it isn't a problem. My wife didn't seem to have a problem with the Prius' brake feel, and that's the important thing because it will be her daily driver, not mine.
  • dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
  • bamadadbamadad Member Posts: 4
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33199-2003Dec26_2.- html

excellent article on 2004 prius and waitlist in DC area, some paragraphs on future trends in US hybrid vehicles. Excerpt:

U.S. Carmakers Slow To Join Hybrid Parade
    Detroit to Focus on Trucks First
    By Greg Schneider
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, December 27, 2003; Page E01

You can test-drive a 2004 Prius at Alexandria Toyota, but if you buy one you can't take it home. The waiting list stretches at least to April. "I didn't expect this much interest," said sales manager Mike Baird, who has 65 Priuses on back order.

The gasoline-electric hybrid car that started as a fad for environmentalists has become a full-fledged phenomenon. It is Motor Trend magazine's "car of the year" and one of the fastest-selling vehicles in the nation.
  • mrcluelessmrclueless Member Posts: 3
    Styling is a very subjective thing... but ...
    The Prius has a look that you either love or hate.

Personally, I find it as one of the least attractive vehicles of all time (it is right next to Pontiac Aztec on my list list of most extreme styling boredom and ugly-ness)

Darn-it, I was really looking forward to a hybrid vehicle and the Prius ain't it ! (and I always have a sweet spot for Toyota quality).

Hopefully by next year the Toyota designers might get a couple of lessons from the Chrysler/Mazda/Ford design teams and see how it is done. (Styling has always been my pet-peeve with Toyota vehicles)

--
    Sorry about the rant but this is trully how I feel (this is not meant as a flamebait. I am hoping someone from Toyota looks at these posts)
    I don't know if someone from Toyota looks at these posts, but I'll bet they look at the recent reviews from Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and even Edmunds.com which all had positive things to say about the Prius' styling. As you said, "styling is a very subjective thing", so it's understandable that some people won't like a car that has unconventional styling like the Prius. One thing to bear in mind is that one of Toyota's main design goals for the Prius was fuel efficiency, which meant they wanted as slippery a shape as possible while maximizing interior space, minimizing weight, and incorporating a hatchback. I expect that Toyota also wanted the car to look unconventional and futuristic. So what Toyota came up with is necessarily a compromise, but I think they did a great job given the design parameters. (Unlike the Aztec, which had no such design issues yet GM made it look incredibly ugly anyway.)

Personally I hope that if Toyota steals styling ideas from Chrysler, Ford, or Mazda, it steals the most from Mazda.
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    I buy a vehicle to get me from point A to point B as economic as possible yet still enjoy some amenities. The Prius does all this for me and more...so, I am smiling.

I think the American public has, via TV and other advertising methods, been "brainwashed" on the need for "styling" when selecting an automobile. Most of us also have been brainwashed that we all need an SUV. Why my next door neighbor needs a 4-wheel drive Explorer to go back and forth to the shopping mall is beyond me. He is already complaining about how much he spends on gasoline.

My Prius does everything I want and expect, so I repeat...In spite of the styling...I am still smiling!
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I guess the styling is so bad which is why there are waiting lists of up to six months to buy the ugliest car on the block.
    What I find extremely entertaining is how insincere human nature is. People say "Wow!" when they see a style at an autoshow. Then they later say "Ick!" to the same thing years later at a showroom.

The desire for something that stands out in the crowd is what drives that.

For awhile, the fierce rigid look was all the rage in SUV styling. Now the appealing look is the sleek aerodynamic flow. The primary reason for this is the market saturation of te old style. It's everywhere. So the different look is a welcome change now.

And lucky for Prius, aerodynamic appeal offers more than just a style benefit. There is a MPG benefit too. So it only makes sense that other vehicles will begin to look like Prius too. And despite the distasteful comments, many are purchased anyway.

In other words, be careful what you label as "ugly" since you very well could end up driving something like that years from now.

JOHN