Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Dealer swaps can be pretty difficult to do sometimes. There's 3 elements. One is finding a dealer with the car. 2 is getting the dealer to give UP the car. 1 is easy, but 2 is a little difficult...usually dealers swap vehicles, but if the other dealer doesn't want to give it up, you're stuck. Happened to me..they fouund a black one with my specs, but couldn't get the dealer to give it up. Turned out better for me because I don't like black. ;)

Keep on your dealer to find a car with the same specs somewhere else. If you already left a deposit, then they're obligated to try, and to give it to you for the price you've already negotiated. You might be able to get them down another $100 or so if they find one in a different color. You can come out with something like "Well, I really don't like that color...maybe if it was a little bit cheaper I'd take it" and they might sweeten the deal a bit...or they might go look for a different color, who knows?
  • Options
    grenedygrenedy Member Posts: 17
    I am in Northern Virginia. Low to mid 90's and high humidity is pretty typical in August. AC, front defroster work fine. Rear window is a bit too horizontal. Seems not to shed water easily. Makes the rear window defroster work pretty hard to clear it. I keep looking for the rear wiper switch!
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Since this is the "Prices Paid" discussion for the Mazda 3 (people looking to buy or have just bought and want to talk price) - - - you might get better answers to your questions as an owner in one of the below discussions:

Mazda 3

Mazda 3 Owners: Problems & Solutions

thanks!
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    You may find some helpful information in the Owner's Clubs? Goodluck!
  • Options
    atlcarbuyeratlcarbuyer Member Posts: 11
    I was told the last shipment was received in late August. Mine was on that shipment with a build date of 7/04---I have heard they've already shifted to 05 models which should be in dealerships in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    jerseygirl3jerseygirl3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for the Mazda3 in central new jersey and can't get a dealer to go below MSRP.
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    No surprise. Up here in the northeast, there seems to be a shortage of Mazda3 models. You might have better luck going to some of the Metro NYC dealers.

I had the same problem with a dealer over in CT...they wanted MSRP too.
  • Options
    wifflewiffle Member Posts: 6
    Just beginning the search for a replacement for my dying 95 Camry. I'm torn between the sedan and 5 door. My buddy just got his Velocity Red 5 door and it looks terrific. Do you think it's better to get the fairly loaded hatch or load up the options on the i?

I am also looking for dealers and prices paid in the valley and beyond. I head to LA frequently. The Fresno dealer has mostly gray models in stock?
  • Options
    sschaffersschaffer Member Posts: 80
    Just curious, did you go down to the Fresno dealer (Lithia Mazda Suzuki) to look or did you check the inventory listing on their website?

I'd checked their website and it listed perhaps 15 or 20 Mazda 3s in stock in various configurations and colors.

When I went to the dealership there were only 5 or 6 Mazda 3s on the entire lot, and only one i model. Turns out that the website lists cars en-route as well as those that are actually on the ground at the dealership.

The i model was fairly basic, only had the power package and auto, no alloys or abs/side airbags.
    Most car dealers tend to order the lower end models with relatively few options so if you're looking for a heavily loaded i model you'll probably have to order it and wait 5 weeks or more for it to arrive from Japan.

I ended up with an S sedan mainly because I did not want an automatic and the only stick they had was a sedan. I like the S model in the sedan because it has the body-color grille, transparent taillights, foglights, body sill extensions (not overdone imho), luminescent guage cluster, and a few other goodies not standard on the i. I also love the smoothness and low end torque of the 2.3 engine, though I think the 2.0 in the i is perfectly adequate and will get better mpg. The 2.0 manual got from 0-60 in 8 seconds flat for Consumer Reports and they don't get the best 0-60 times of all the testing mags.

I prefer the styling of the sedan. It reminds me of when Nissan advertised the Maxima as the "Four door sports car" in that it really looks like a 4 door sport coupe more than a grocery-getter sedan.

That being said, if the only stick on the lot had been a hatch I'd have bought it instead of the sedan.

As for price paid, I had a trade-in that I owed about $5400 on, almost upside down as far as trade-in value vs money still owed. They wrote up the deal as giving me 6500 for the trade and paying about list for the new car, which actually works out to about 1100-1200 off sticker price for the new car.

I'd strongly suggest you get some quotes off their internet system, that way when you go in you will only deal with the internet manager and avoid some of the normal shuffle.

When I bought mine I mentionned to the salesman after the test drive that I'd been researching on their website and he took me straight to the internet manager who handled the rest except for the inevitable session with the F&I guy which actually went very smoothly. I drove in to the lot at about 7:30 pm on a Saturday night only intending to look and maybe take a test drive and drove out in my new car only an hour and a half later, fairly quick in my experience having purchased probably 20 or so cars in my lifetime.

I think the nearest other dealer for Mazda is down in Selma--Selma Auto Mall. Their website doesn't list inventory so you have to call or go down there.

Another idea would be to pick up a copy of the Saturday LA Times and see what kinda deals the Mazda stores down there are offering if you're willing to go that far.

OT--what's the Camry dying of, I work for a Toyota dealer shop.
  • Options
    seaweaseawea Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone please tell me if any of you were charge $200 for advertising fee when purchasing a Mazda 3, b/c the dealership where I went insist in charging me $200 for advertising fee, which I have never heard of before. I was wondering if this is usually? What should I do? Also, how much is tax anyway when purchasing a Mazda 3 hatchback. Is there a certain rate? Example, if my car comes out to be $16,780, how much should I exoect the tax to be? And how much is for tags?

Thank you very much :)
  • Options
    natalievnataliev Member Posts: 5
    help me prove i'm right!

black 04 mazda3 hatchback with moonroof, 6 cd, and safety package for $18,775. Edmunds msrp/ invoice / tmv = $19,315 / $17,961 / $19,046.

PLUS the dealership will give me $900 for 97 VW Passat deisel with 170K miles and numerous dents and dings (and it doesn't drive tooiwell either.)

so the total cost of the car with tax and fees is $19,200.30.

my friend says he could have done better, but i disagree. what do you think?
  • Options
    They'll probably get $300 or so for that clapped out Passat at auction, so subtract that from the $900 they're giving you for it and that amounts to them giving you another $600 off on the new car. So figure actual price on the new car is $18,175, about $200 over invoice. This sounds pretty darn good for a car in high demand like the Mazda 3.

Take your friend and the Passat to another Mazda dealer and tell him to go ahead and try to do better, then report back to us.
  • Options
    I suggested that, but i dont' think he will do it.

plus, the dealership pretty much said doctor my college degree so that it was within 2 years (i graduated in march of 02) to get an additional $500 off.

i think it is a great deal.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insights.

So far I just drove through the lot at Lithia. Lot's of 3's on the lot. Most of them are gray? Not my color of choice.

I requested contact from their internet manager and he's already emailed twice. Selma emailed too so far. I drive to LA a couple times a month so will look south also.

I need to head in and drive them to decide sedan or hatch. I like them both.

My Camry is dying of old age... 267k miles, oil leaks (top and bottom), burns oil, needs new struts, shocks and tires. Several other minor items need care also. Runs great and never left me stranded.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Go to the used car section of Edmunds and look up the trade in value of your VW - I got $1,345 when I classified the car as rough - which dropped the value by $1,650. If the car is average the value was over $2,000.

I can't say it never happens but most dealers don't give you a lot more for your trade than it is worth - However if a sales person thinks that trade in value is a big issue to the customer they will fudge it up a little and then add that amount plus a few hundred to the price of the car. They always come out ahead - which means you lose.

If a dealer agrees to give you a lot more for your trade then it is worth so you can qualify for a loan you need to be extra careful. Same thing as cheating on the date of your degree to get a rebate. WHY? Because -

If they are willing to lie & cheat to the bank and manufacturer why oh why would anyone think that they will not also lie & cheat you - the customer - even more. One of the oldest car sales tricks in the book is to make the customer think that they are doing something a little shaddy to "HELP" you - it makes the customer think they are getting something that they may not be able to get some place else - that normally means you are going to end up paying more not less.

Be real - the amount a bank will loan you on a new car has nothing - let me repete because someone will not agree - NOTHING to do with how much a bank will loan you. The amount a bank will loan you is determined by YOUR CREDIT RATING and the LOAN VALUE OF THE CAR you are buying. The loan value of the car is not what you agree to pay for it - only a foolish bank would do business this way.

If you don't think this is right - call your bank (or whatever finance company you want) and ask them - how large of a loan can I get on a Mazda3 with the options you want. After they give you the amount - if you want to look like a fool - ask them if the car dealer agrees to give you a thousand dollars more for your trade in (than it is worth) would they increase the loan amount? Once the banker stops laughing they will say - no - the trade in value has nothing to do with loan they will approve.
  • Options
    I don't care about the car loan, its irrevelent. & I don't care how much they loan me as long as my payments are less then $300 a month.

And the car is a POS!! No person in their right mind would give $1300 for it. The back bumper is held on by zip ties, the front 1/4 panel has a big dent and is beginning to rust. I think it needs power steering fluid (there is probably a leak), it was rear ended a few years ago so the back bumper and side panel were already replaced. It makes me sick to drive it from the deisel fumes. AND the locks freeze in the winter. Also, i've replaced the power window switches at about every year, at a cost of ~$250. They are going to go soon.

One dealership wouldn't even consider it as a trade in, and i couldn't in good consious sell it for any more then $1000. so i feel like it is a great deal.
  • Options
    One more thing...
    If i get $1000 MORE for my trade in, HOW would that make my LOAN amount BIGGER?
  • Options
    "And the car is a POS!! No person in their right mind would give $1300 for it. The back bumper is held on by zip ties, the front 1/4 panel has a big dent and is beginning to rust. I think it needs power steering fluid (there is probably a leak), it was rear ended a few years ago so the back bumper and side panel were already replaced. It makes me sick to drive it from the deisel fumes. AND the locks freeze in the winter. Also, i've replaced the power window switches at about every year, at a cost of ~$250. They are going to go soon."

Sounds like a $300 car to me! No dealer, new car or fly-by-night used car, could put this up for sale without thousands in repairs and reconditioning, plus it's a diesel which makes it even more unsalable. Some bargain hunting individual with lots of mechanical skill could pick this thing up at auction for nada and using wrecking yard parts maybe come up with a drivable work car, otherwise it's only value is as scrap.
  • Options
    seaweaseawea Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone please tell me if any of you were charge $200 for advertising fee when purchasing a Mazda 3, b/c the dealership where I went insist in charging me $200 for advertising fee, which I have never heard of before. I was wondering if this is usually? What should I do? Also, how much is tax anyway when purchasing a Mazda 3 hatchback. Is there a certain rate? Example, if my car comes out to be $16,780, how much should I exoect the tax to be? And how much is for tags?

Thank you very much :)
  • Options
    First let me correct my last post instead of -
    the amount a bank will loan you on a new car has nothing to do with how much a bank will loan you. -- I ment to say - the amount a bank will loan you has nothing to do with the trade in value of your old car.

Sometimes a dealer will give a customer a story like - You owe $5,000 on your car - but it is only worth $4,000. They then offer to help you out - they will agree to give you $5,500 for your trade - they say that then they will be able to pay off the loan for you. But you must then buy the new car from them for a higher price. They also claim that based on this higher price they can get you financed. Many people think that since the dealer gave them more for their trade in - helped them pay off the loan that it is OK to pay more for the new car & agree to a larger loan.

I had no idea that your trade was in that bad of shape. Why would a dealer offer you more that the car is worth? Only way this will happen is if you also agree to pay more for the new car. The dealership really only cares about the net amount. Sale price of new car - trade in.
  • Options
    Good information. It may be helpful to also try the finance board. Go to Browse by Message Board to the left and scroll down. There are a lot of boards that deal with this subject. Smart Shopper would be another. Goodluck!
  • Options
    bunk1968bunk1968 Member Posts: 119
    I was planning on getting a new Mazda 3 hatch, but now am wondering if leasing is better than purchasing.
    I have enough money to pay for the car in full, but do like the fact that with leasing you get a new car ever few years. But then again if I like the car a lot after two or three years and I want to keep it, will I lose a lot of money buying it after leasing it?
    Can anyone give advice? I know very little about leasing and which is the better deal??
    Also, a dealership in my area has gotten in the Mazda 3 hatch I was looking for in the color I wanted. It is an 2004 model and I don't know how big of a deal it is to buy an 04 now instead of waiting for an 05. I was originally told that it is definetely worth my while at this point to just wait for an 05 since it will have better resale value and it should not cost much more. I have not seen any great deals on the 04's to make me believe that they are the better deal??
  • Options
    You can structure a lease just about anyway you want - I have seen a deal where a customer made one payment at the start of a 36 month lease and had no additional payments due. This may sound strange - but the guy had a high value trade plus no loan - and he had the cash in the bank to write the check for the balance. He had the option - but was not required - to buy the car at the end of the lease. This was a few years ago - interest rates were higher then - he could not have invested the money (after tax) and gotten a better return. He saw it (correctly) as a good way to go. Don't ever let anyone tell you that a lease does not have interest - because 99.9% of long term auto leases have interest.

I will say that most of the time a lease will cost more - but sometimes car companies have very good lease programs and they can be a good deal.
  • Options
    I have bought a few new cars and was never charged an "advertising fee." I think you should ask where the specific car (with the vin) that you would like to purchase was advertised if they expect to charge you a fee for it.

You could call mazda usa up and ask them if they support dealers adding on retarded fees. However, if you are purching it for invoice or close to invoice, consider it a great deal even with the $200 tacked on.

Also, nobody is answering your question because it depends on what state you are in. I have no idea where you live or how much the tax and licencing fees are. Just look it up on your state's motor vehicle web site.
  • Options
    seekingwaseekingwa Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 04 hatchback: yellow (I know, I'm weird), manual with ABS, moonroof, 6CD and leather options.

1) is it worth it to get the consumer reports Price report, compared to going with figures available on Edmunds - are they the same except CR wants $12 and their web site isn't working?

2) Edmunds gives me $20.4 / 18. 9 / 20.3 for msrp /invoice / tmv. The Internet sales guy in Oakland is starting the deal at $20k, including transport. Does anyone have thoughts there?

3) The yellow color seems very unpopular, or at least rare. Do I have much leverage there - Oakland Mazda will have to get the car from Fresno and said they have to trade a car.

4) Do you believe the old tactics still work - buying an 04 when 05s are coming, or buying near the end of the month?
  • Options
    ramon1ramon1 Member Posts: 15
    1) It is not necessary to buy the Consumer Reports Price report. The Edmunds figures are accurate. I work for a Ford supplier and the Edmunds dealer invoice data agree exactly with the S-plan (dealer invoice) price avaialble to Ford suppliers.
    2)Recommend you use Edmunds data. See if you know someone who works for Ford and can get S-plan pricing. If not, I would think you can get within $300 of invoice. Don't pay any advertising or phony marketing fees, just base car+options+destination+sales tax. Make the dealer specify how much you are paying for each, and then compare to Edmunds dealer invoice data.
    3)Yellow is ugly imho. Buy what you like. If you don't like yellow, don't buy it. Why spend approx $20K on something you don't like? If you like yellow, I hope you have leverage, but you have to remember the car itself is quite popular.
    4) If you buy an 04, you will probably beat an anticipated $400-500 price increase in the 05. Buying at he end of the month, or better yet, at the end of the quarter is always a good idea. The Mazda3, however, is a hot car at the moment, so this tactic might not work as well as one would hope. I had no luck shopping at end of August. Best I could do was S-plan pricing.
  • Options
    seekingwaseekingwa Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice, Ramon. Is the sales quarter lined up with the calendar quarter, i.e., Sept is end of Q3?
  • Options
    04 Mazda 3 base price (i sedan) was $13,880. Saw a Mazda 3 commercial last night that advertised base price $14,300ish (don't remember exact figure). I think you're correct about the $400-500 price increase on 05 models.
  • Options
    I test drove a couple of 2.0s, one AT, one MT. I liked the MT much more. Good torque and zip on the hiway. The AT had pretty good pick up even with the smaller engine.

Dealt with the internet sales guy from Selma Mazda. No real pressure to close. I will check out Lithia tomorrow and drive 1 or 2 of theirs. More later...
  • Options
    More naive Q's.
    Tell me more about the S-plan. I do have a friend that works for Ford and offered the S-plan to me before I was looking for a Mazda.

Can I buy off the lot? Can I order what I want. What's the discount? Who do I deal with at the dealership?
    Thanks
  • Options
    ramon1ramon1 Member Posts: 15
    Go to your friend and tell him you would like to buy a Mazda (Ford owns 35% of Mazda) and ask him if he would be willing to help you get S-plan pricing. If yes, he will get you a PIN that you present along with identification to the dealer at the time you purchase your car. If the dealer participates in the S-plan, you will get the car at factory invoice+destination charge+sales tax+licensing. As long as the dealer accepts S-plan, you can buy off the lot or order any car you want. This is all above board; no need to feel as if you are deceiving someone or cheating the dealer. You will save the markup the dealer charges ordinary customers.

Discuss this openly with the any salesman when you look at the car. If he's not aware of the S-plan, talk to the sales manager.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    Yellow -

Once the dealer knows you "really" want yellow - or whatever color - every car that is that color just went up in price. If the dealer has a lot full of silver and gray cars - and you tell him that you want a silver or gray car he will tell you that these are the most popular colors and they just can't keep them in stock - never mind that they have 100 of them. If you tell them that you want a yellow hatch - and they have one then you will be told that the yellow is very hot -or some BS like - Mazda just did not build that many yellow cars and that they can't keep them in stock.

Price increase?
    If Mazda raises the price of the Mazda3 by $500 they will also (very soon there after) start offering $500 -$1,000 rebates - at least on some models.
  • Options
    mzdamzda Member Posts: 3
    Just got a 3i with SAB/SAC/ABS, Moonroof/CD Changer, power/16" package, aftermarket leather, black/black 5 speed for $17300 car price, $18800 out the door in LA.

With the very minor differences between the 2004 and 2005, it looks like there are some good deals out there with any of the dealers who have a lot of 2004s left. I found the car I wanted searching inventory at mazdausa.com, and then did the deal with e-mails to the internet sales manager.

People can probably get better deals than this, but we were really happy with the car and the price, and I think it will be a while before we could get a similar deal on a 2005.

Anybody else have details on an experience with the end of model year buying? Will rebates show up at any point to get rid of the last ones or is inventory low enough overall?
  • Options
    Congrats on the purchase and thanks for sharing your information.
  • Options
    chotalichotali Member Posts: 4
    I am from the capital region of NY (Albany), and wrote message on this board a while back about the dealerships in this area trying to charge sticker price. Based on a message posted by a Mazda 3 owners's experience at White Plains Mazda (2 1/2 hour drive from Albany), I decided to give them a call after being frustrated with the lack of interest in moving cars from the Albany area dealers. I had been quoted on a 3I model with air bag pkg, 16" allow pkg, auto, moon roof pg, wheel locks, wing spoiler, and the temp guage rear view mirror a price of $19,345.00. Again this was I model. When i searched White Plains inventory they had over 25 3's in stock. I found a S model, with moonroof pkg, auto, sport pkg (17 inch tires), cargo net, rear lip spoiler, wheel locks and side stills. I go this car for $18,638.00, invoice price of $18,615.00! I can't begin to explain how much of a pleasure it was to do with White Plains Mazda. To save over $500 and to get a S model with virtually the same options was a great deal! I would definitely buy another car from White Plains!
  • Options
    Congrats!

If I may ask, what dealer and city did you get your i?

Thanks
  • Options
    chotalichotali Member Posts: 4
    I got mine at White Plains Mazda, in White Plains, NY, just outside NYC
  • Options
    fuzzboxerfuzzboxer Member Posts: 19
    Hey everyone. Just signed up for this outstanding website and have a couple of questions about the Mazda 3s.

I see that Edmunds does not have any Invoice information for the automatic transmission. Can I assume that the base Invoice price only increases as much as the auto tranny($900)? Also, I have noticed that Mazda's customization forces you to choose the Sport package when you choose leather interior. Meanwhile, the brochure tells me its an option without any qualifiers. Which is it?
  • Options
    I've got the sport pack and leather on my S sedan, they are listed on the Monroney sticker as separate items. I tried the "build a car" thing on the Mazda website and it does seem to force the sport pack when you choose the leather option.

I think the only way to tell for sure would be to ask a Mazda dealer if they can order the leather pack without the sport pack, though I doubt if they can take orders on 04 models any more.
  • Options
    peterdh2000peterdh2000 Member Posts: 54
    my friend just ordered a gray 3s sedan (2005 i think). he wanted leather and abs/sab/sac pack only, but had to add the sport pack to get that combo. sucks b/c you can't put aftermarket leather in w/the seat-mounted side airbags.

5200 miles in 3 months in our 2004 3s hatch. no problems at all. have to recommend you get the abs/sab/sac package also. only has to work once to make it worth the extra $$.
  • Options
    I just decided to go with both. What the hell, right?

Also, I just got an email from a Mazda dealer saying he will honor the Edmunds TMV price. Should I accept or try to get him closer to invoice price? Its about $1000 over invoice.
  • Options
    eoghan1eoghan1 Member Posts: 58
    Bought my Hatch with the ABS, sunroof and leather for $18710,the S-plan price,plus a $199 conveyance fee. I am also a GM supplier and the GM dealers waived any conveyance fees. The S plan web site implies administrative fees are in the S plan price. I suspect I got overcharged The $199. Considered the Malibu Maxx and Vibe and substantial GM rebates, but the Mazda felt more balanced and fun to drive. Dealer(Modern Motors- Thompsonville, CT) was supposed to find a unit with the self dimming mirror, but did not and was supposed to assist in getting one installed but he has not done so. I would like to hear from people who have installed the $244 self dimming mirror from mazdastuff.com and anyone who has had the 3M, Scotchgard,or invisible bra treatment. Local installers are quoting $550 for the front, rockers, wheel wells. So far(600 Miles) I am finding the car to be just about what I wanted to buzz around back roads, run errands etc.
  • Options
    Well, looks like I could be driving a new Mazda pretty soon! I ordered a black Mazda 3s with 4-Speed sport tranny, ABS/SAB, moonroof & 6-CD, xenon, and sport packages with leather interior (plus a few little extras) all for $20,900. Not bad for a fully loaded brand new car.

I think I came away with a winner here.
  • Options
    Hey, peterdh, how does that gray look?
  • Options
    the gray is a great color, very catching on our hatch and the sedans i've seen. ours gets lots of second looks. we only considered strato (dark) blue as the other option. gray, red, strato seem to be the most prevalent colors in seattle. congrats on your deal, now the waiting starts, they told my friend 8-12 weeks on a from scratch factory order. he's been driving ours to get his fix...
  • Options
    Um, I get mine this afternoon :)
  • Options
    I won't tell my friend...:) Perhaps your dealer had it incoming already, or traded for it?

Honestly, they're easier to find loaded up--one with ABS pack and not the moonroof pack, and then with leather on top of that is a rare bird. He pretty much had to order it fresh.

Enjoy your ride!
  • Options
    Yea, he traded it with another dealership. I needed the car ASAP because my old one broke. Its a trip to read the odometer with anything less than 125K!

Anyways, I just got it last night and can't wait to ride it around this weekend.
  • Options
    evolmootionevolmootion Member Posts: 8
    Can you tell me who you worked on your deal with at White Plains? I stopped in there last week and the person I spoke with was not willing to answer my questions and knew very little about the car.
    This is my first new car purchase and I had PLENTY of questions and the salesman was looking at me with dollar signs in his eyes.
  • Options
    wvwwvw Member Posts: 19
    It's good to hear the gray is sharp- I pick mine up tomorrow!, but haven't actually seen a grey one. Had hoped for red or strato, but they couldn't find any in the region with just the main options I wanted. I'm paying 19,500 for auto, ABS package, moonroof/CD, and a couple of other small add ons. I was given $1000 off that for my Subaru wagon with 230,000 miles, so I was reasonably happy!