Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    This may be a good conversation for the Smart Shopper board. Does anyone have Prices Paid discussion to add here? Seems like a lot of shopping but little buying.
  • Options
    slowracinslowracin Member Posts: 6
    Aw gee...
    Guess I haven't had my buying experience yet... that is if the deed must actually be done to be a part of this forum. I guess a lot of others have been wrong also. Sorry--my bad. But based on this kind of chill, I'll just keep my Carbon Gray secrets to myself... that is, whenever I find out just what the heck that color is! I'm already down to a couple of hundred over so called invoice with no trade, I just haven't found the '05 with the options I want yet. See ya!
  • Options
    ikeedumikeedum Member Posts: 10
    Bought a new 05 M3 sedan w leather, moonroof, abs, xenon for $200 over invoice in NJ.

Beware the add ons. Dealer at first included a bunch of these (something about security window etching, second driver credit check, gas), after we agreed on that which would have brought the price up another $300.

Another questionable area- NY/CA emissions appeared as a $250 line item in the dealer invoice price they showed me. I do need this since I live in NY, but didn't expect to see this added in on the invoice, according to all the price reports I had seen on Edmunds and Consumer Reports. Then again, NJ is not a CA emissions state so the dealer could be requesting this for NY shoppers and adding it in themselves. Has anyone else seen something like this?
  • Options
    combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    dood. you're cracking me up here.. the reason we aren't answering your question about the special edition model is:

A) we don't know.
    B) this isn't the optimal forum for asking such a question. AND..
    C) the main thread for the Mazda3, which the moderator graciously provided the link for, is the ideal place for the question as it generates many more readers.
    D) AND that thread has already had some discussion about this special edition model.

In other words, this is a specialty thread dealing mainly with pricing issues. Sure, sometimes things go a little off topic on occasion, but that doesn't change the validity of our advice to go and seek your answer over there.

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    slowracinslowracin Member Posts: 6
    Well,gee, now I know all I need to know about the special edition 3. Couldn't get any info off this site so I went elsewhere. And as far as a I am concerned, if you look at one thread, you will probably look at the all threads, and I did not see any mention of the special edition, and if it was there, someone might have had the common courtesy and tell me which thread it was on. but that was not to be, so I found out by going elsewhere.
    Got the color off the Mazda Canada web site -- it seems it is a stock color for Canada dealers (so how many of you knew that???)--its sort of in between the Titanium and the Black, and I also down loaded a pdf file off another chat site that had all of the options, and pictures of the interior and exterior for the preliminary sales package, including the brown leather interior. It was enough to convince me. Went down to a high volume dealer in Charlotte and ordered one--the boss sales manager showed me on his super duper secret Mazda order site not only the projected build date, but the projected delivery date.

BTW, slow racing is aptly named -- I autocross and road race a Corvette, and I am thoroughly impressed with this little car ...maybe "not so aptly named," but I couldn't see waiting around for "combustible" input from the so called experts--MY SP3s is on its way, and that is a buying experience for sure.
  • Options
    scoopnyscoopny Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to buy a Mazda 3s, the only option I want are the moonroof package and the safety package (ABS). I live in NY, any idea of what price I should be looking to pay? I researched and they about 18,300-18,800 would be reasonable? Is this realistic? Too high? Too low?
  • Options
    dinglenutz1223dinglenutz1223 Member Posts: 4
    I live in NJ, and went to Wayne Mazda. I bought a 2004 Mazda3s Hatch auto w/ those options:

- ABS package
    - Moonroof & 6CD in-dash

I got it for $19,000, which was I believe $100 under invoice price. Nor entirely sure, but I know MSRP on the car was $20,245. So, I got $1000 off MSRP, which was pretty good I thought esp. considering it was my first time negotiating a car deal. I also got it on the last day of the month, in October, so that may have helped me out. Sales quota blah blah...

But, the dealership there is awesome, and I will recommend it highly. They are teh biggest Mazda dealer in the nation, and if you see their inventory you can see why. They havea parking lot in the back, lined up with Mazda galore. Very professional too. I've gotten like 10 letter already from them, "Thank you Thank you, We Strive to Serve you Best",and all that good fluff.

Anyways, if 18300-18800 is price for a 2005 manual trans., that's not bad.
  • Options
    scoopnyscoopny Member Posts: 7
    Hey thanks a lot. I'm not too far from Wayne, I'll definitely check them out.
  • Options
    corystorycorystory Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2005 Mazda3 Hatchback with Moonroof 6CD package, the safety package, auto, and wheel lock for $19100 at the dealer in the SF Bay Area.
    A Mazda3 with the same package except automatic transmission will definately cause about $800 less. $18000 to $18200 is the price to pay and good for you if you can go for less. APR for finacing should be 4.9 or less. Dont do any trade-in since they will likely give you a terrible price.

Just go there and tell them exactly what want and make a deal on the car price (before tax and license), not how much you pay monthly because it is confusing. Tell them that you are firm about the price and that is it!

I believed that i could get a 100 or 200 lower for my car. However, i live in Silicon valley area (honestly average income here is quite high compared to national average) so things here are more expensive than else where. Dealers at different locations should be more willing to lower their prices a bit more.
  • Options
    miltmilt Member Posts: 14
    Took M3GT Hatch, AT, A/C - no Moon/Leather. Priced at $25,000 plus taxes. That comes to $500 over MSRP.- total will be $28,500. Seems steep. Anybody in Can come up with better pricing results. I want to order for spring delivery - should that make a difference in negotiating price.
  • Options
    mazda3mazda3 Member Posts: 1
    Looking..... for Mazda s 4Dr, Base-$15537 +AT-810 + Spoiler, Rear Wing $280

Now! I want to know any Rebate , Holdback?
    Thanks
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Hi Milt,
       In the Mazda3 Canada forum several members have discussed Cdn. prices.

How many nearby Mazda dealerships do you have in your area? Making some calls and visiting them may help reduce the price significantly. I had more than C$1000 discounted off the MSRP for my then new 2002 Protege5 in Ottawa. Although the Mazda3 may be a terrific car you may want to price other models (and let the Mazda dealers know you are doing so) to comparison shop.

Spring delivery is a good idea (especially to avoid a brutal winter) but I don't see an incentive for the dealership to give you a better price for the car.

Best wishes!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in speaking with anyone who has recently purchased any of the following vehicles: Chrysler 300, Mazda 3, Scion xB, Audi A6, Land Rover LR3 or the Honda Odyssey. He would like to discuss which other vehicles you considered, why you bought the vehicle you bought, likes/dislikes, etc. If you are interested in speaking with this reporter, please forward your name, the vehicle you purchased and your daytime contact information to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com no later than end of day Tuesday, Dec. 14. Thank you

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    asyaasya Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I've seen many people here give good reviews about Wayne Mazda dealership in NJ. I'm going there tomorrow... Is there anyone in particular you would recommend?

Thank you!

Asya
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi asya - we don't allow salespeople's names to be posted on the board. If you get there and don't like the salesperson you're dealing with, you might ask to talk to the manager to see if you can get someone else to help you.

If the dealership is getting a lot of positive reviews, chances are good that the dealership employs good salespeople, and hopefully you'll have the same positive experience there.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    asyaasya Member Posts: 4
    Kristie,

Thank you for your response. Understood:)

Sorry..didn't know about this rule.

Asya
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    deco_droiddeco_droid Member Posts: 7
    hey, just picked up my black no options hatchback this weekend and our dealer was just great! i ended up getting the car for $15,700 plus tt&l.

i had been reading the threads here and searching mazda's online inventory. it really helped to have other dealers in the area compete against each other to give me the best price. also, thanks to this site, i made sure to check the rotors and a few other things to make sure there were no problems from the get go.

btw, i did see one 04 at another dealer that did have substantial grooves in the rotors with only 20 miles on the odometer!

only thing i plan to do now is break the engine in gently and tint the windows when it warms up a little.

the mini is what got me looking at a new car originally, but when i saw that it (s model) was more expensive, smaller, yet not as quick as the mazda, my mind was made up.

thanks to all who helped me find my perfect car!

btw, this will be my daily driver/busines car. i'm starting my own business next year and want to put my logo, website etc. on the rear window.

thanks again!
  • Options
    philly5philly5 Member Posts: 2
    may I ask what area you are in? I'm looking a buying a 05 hatch this week with the options auto/abs and moonroof. I'm hoping to pay 19k. Sounds like you got a great price.

Thanks
  • Options
    allen53flallen53fl Member Posts: 41
    Traded my 2003.5 P5 (5-spd,white w/leather, 6CD, no MF), on a 2005 MZ3S sedan, (auto, titanium gray w/black-red cloth, ABS,SAB,SAC, MR w/6CD, sport pkg + w/rear spoiler, auto dim mirror w/homelink/compass), and I LOVE it! My P5 was GREAT while I had it and I had abolutely no problems w/it, but the MZ3 beats it hands down, it just "feels" right and it feels MUCH bigger and MUCH more refined. I also LOVE the dash, especially at night. It looks and feels far more upscale compared to the P5 (and to any of the competition). I'm glad I made the switch.

The salesman @ Eddie Accardi Pompano Bch, FL, kept shaking his head, (in disgust?), said he couldn't even get the car for himself at the price we were paying!!! He probably says that to everyone, (eh, don't BS a BS'er here). I have to hand it to them though, after a few gliches (misunderstandings?), they kept their word. They were not happy though, (but they were nice). The sales manager said, "they absolutely didn't make any money on us, but that's okay, they will on the next deal, it all evens out." A nice fellow. I would do business w/him again.

They tried to low ball us on my trade, 10k for my 2003.5 P5 w/7666 miles. I showed about a 12K TMV. So a strong word of advice, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, if you have a trade, take a copy of the Edmunds TMV AND the Kelley BlueBook sheets w/you!

The sales sheet after it was all said and done had a MUCH higher value for my car but w/little or no discount for the MZ3. Which is okay, less sales tax paid. Whatever works for them, and if I'm happy w/the deal, it's okay however they work the numbers.

We were an informed buyer, dealt from invoice up, and before Audi08 has a cow, we were nice, (but firm). We left the dealer on good terms, (we smiled and shook hands). Ummm, not sure if they want us back there though, (just because of the no profit factor for them, remember, we were NICE!) Oh well. Such is life. We be very happy, and that's what really matters.

Allen

Sorry, I can't disclose the actual dollars, per dealer request, he said we got too good of a deal. I can and do recommend them.
  • Options
    to philly5 -- yeah, i am in the dallas fort worth area and checked with nearly every dealer beforehand to see which was the most motivated to sell an 05 at a discount.

and allen53fl -- you worked from invoice UP to get your deal??? dude, i start at invoice and work my way DOWN! it's just an arbitrary number anyway. and don't ever believe the dealer that says they are "losing money on a car deal". it would be more accurate to say they "aren't making as much" off of you, but they are still getting a chunk. don't you worry about them...

oh i forgot to mention -- i HIGHLY recommend the dealer i got my hatch from, hiley mazda. the financing guy tried to be a little squirrelly with me, but we got that straightened out, and all was well.

the dealer that was NOT so agreeable was freeman mazda. they basically lost my business for the cost of a tint job and wheel locks. i could not believe it! we had agreed on a price, but when i mentioned throwing in a tint and wheel locks, they had a problem all of a sudden. i told them another dealer had offered this (which was true), but they wouldn't budge. they started the "we'll be losing money on this car" line. i was amazed, and i will never buy a car from them.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Don't take this wrong - I have no problem pushing the deal as far as I can - I have bought several cars for less than invoice - bla, bla , bla.

But - you said " i could not believe it! we had agreed on a price" IMO once you agree on a price - and then YOU go back and ask them to add something in for free - that is not right. Like I said I have no problem trying to get free stuff thrown in - but once I agree on a price MY word is good - I stand behind it and expect the dealership to do the same.

Put the shoe on the other foot - if you both agree on a price - then the dealer wants to add some other charge in do you think that is OK?
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Living just west of Pompano Beach, would love to hear more about your great deal. Please e-mail me at Sandman_6472@yahoo.com as I have a few questions to ask of you.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    allen53flallen53fl Member Posts: 41
    >> allen53fl -- you worked from invoice UP to get your deal??? dude, i start at invoice and work my way DOWN! it's just an arbitrary number anyway. and don't ever believe the dealer that says they are "losing money on a car deal". it would be more accurate to say they "aren't making as much" off of you, but they are still getting a chunk. don't you worry about them... >>

I think working from the invoice up, is reasonable, especially for a hot car like the MZ3. Many dealers are not discounting MSRP much, if at all. I knew what the invoice was, I knew what the trade in value of my car was, and I knew approximately what the TTL was. I had a mental limit of what I was willing to pay, (P5+cash+TTL). We started off w/a VERY low cash difference offer, the dealer said that was unreasonable, (it was). EOD we met in the middle, which was my predetermined target, (BINGO!). All part of the game.

I realize the dealer always tries to make it "appear" that you got a fantastic deal, it's part of the "game". But when we went in to the finance guy, who was very good btw, (didn't waste our time, he had his routine down so pat, he could do it in his sleep). He said "Boy! you got a GOOD deal!", I said "Yeah, but he still made money on us." He replied, "No, he didn't" and showed me the net proceeds page (not sure what that page is really called) on his computer screen. I've spent more on a low-cost dinner, btw.

Audia8 slammed me a couple of years ago, when I purchased my P5, I got a good deal on it, and I said I was going back to the original dealer who wasn't willing to deal, and "rub his nose in it". It was a tongue-in-cheek statement, and I admit, phrased wrong. I was out of line, and failed to state tto him hat I was on good terms with this dealer, (Audi was VERY PO'd). But I did go back and talk to them, (remember, I AM a nice guy!), and they couldn't believe it, congratulated me, and appreciated me coming back to let them know. I have a lot of repect for Audi, and I completely agree w/him, a dealer has to make some money, he has overhead expenses and employees that they need to take care of. They also have a business to run, and well, no profit=no business.

I wasn't planning on buying until March, but this dealer had the BEST inventory of the color and options I wanted within 150mi. I thought, fat chance on my target price, but hey, if they go for it, great. If not, I'll wait until March and go to Del Ray Mazda, (where I got my P5), and get it from them, as I like them a lot.

I got the deal that I wanted, and I am happy.

Allen
  • Options
  • Options
    kylenkylen Member Posts: 1
    Great board with a ton of useful info...I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has purchased a 3s 4-dr. in NE Ohio (or anywhere for that matter) with the following options:

-Manual

-Sport Package

-6-disc CD

-ABS

-Xenons (can take 'em or leave 'em)

I'd like to get a feel for what people have actually paid as I'm planning on buying in late April. Thanks.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Deco...you say..."we had agreed on a price, but when i mentioned throwing in a tint and wheel locks, they had a problem all of a sudden.."

I agree with Z71....you agreed to a deal and you should have been big enough to honor the agreement... spin it around and lets say you agree to a deal with the dealer and at delivery they want YOU to throw in another $100 and if you didnt they would sell the car to somebody else? You would be on here calling the dealer liars, cheats and crooks.

Z71Bill..."but once I agree on a price MY word is good - I stand behind it and expect the dealership to do the same."

...We dont see eye to eye on some car things but your statement is very honorable and more consumers and dealers should feel the same way. The whole process would be alot easier for everyone.
  • Options
    allen -- yeah, working from invoice up is reasonable, but i'm out to get the best deal i can, and if some dealers are willing to discount a mazda3 $2k, i am not going to complain, hot car or not. glad you're happy with your new 3 also!

z71bill -- actually, we didn't agree on a price and then i just started trying to add things on. (didn't detail my story too well i guess). what happened was when we were coming in from the test drive, i did mention to the sales guy that another dealer had been willing to add a tint, so i wanted to see about adding a few things onto this car and dropping the cargo net and door edge guards (tacky btw). so he said he'd see what they could do. THEN when we had agreed on the price, i then said what about the things i had talked about switching/adding, and that's when the problem started. they just kept talking about how they were the first dealer in the area, and how they sell more mazdas than anyone else. basically, they had an ego problem, and somehow think that their supposed status means they don't have to lower their prices to that of "lesser dealers".

i mean, they were actually saying that this other dealer's tint will most likely turn purple over time, and it wouldn't be worth it. on the other hand, they said THEY had a tint co. that THEY work with that apparently is beyond reproach! (the previous dealer had said the free tint would have a lifetime warranty btw, so i doubt it would have been a problem).

so yeah, i really was amazed that this dealer in irving basically threw away a car sale and a potential customer for life, not to mention good word of mouth from me -- all for some wheel locks and a tint job.

i did tell them that if i were a dealer and a NEW CUSTOMER requested something small like that added into the deal, i would not hesitate to throw it in -- almost as a courtesy, or "thank you" for buying your first mazda from us. oh well, their loss.

i really love my mazda and have respect for the company, but some dealers could learn a thing or two about how to win over a customer...
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    An oil change is a "thank you". $200-$300 worth of add-ons is a lot more than a thank you. But,I know the dealers have deep pockets!!!
  • Options
    eh, i don't see how wheel locks and a tint job (their cost or retail) could ever equal $200-$300, volvodan1...

like i said, another dealer had already offered this to me, but they didn't have the right color...
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    "He said "Boy! you got a GOOD deal!", I said "Yeah, but he still made money on us." He replied, "No, he didn't" and showed me the net proceeds page (not sure what that page is really called) on his computer screen."

When helping my daughter buy a car, we had a manager show us a computer screen with figures supposedly proving what a great deal we would be getting. From doing my homework here at Edmunds, I knew that his figures, although appearing official, were false. It was a Mazda dealer; I haven't been back there.

"eh, i don't see how wheel locks and a tint job (their cost or retail) could ever equal $200-$300, volvodan1...

like i said, another dealer had already offered this to me, but they didn't have the right color..."

It works both ways. Until that other dealer has written down in the contract what they are going to include, it is still negotiable. "Bait and switch" is used to get you into the sales cubicle. Haven't you ever checked a contract and found costs included beyond what you had verbally agreed to?

BTW, I haven't priced it, but I can easily imagine wheel locks and tint costing $200-300. They charge about $100 for a pinstripe that you can apply yourself (free labor) for less than $10.
  • Options
    true -- gotta check those numbers. my dealer was pretty good though -- they quoted me $15,700 over email, and that's the price i paid. now i posted earlier that the FINANCING GUY tried to eek out some more money with the extra warranty junk, but i guess that's his job. i just said no thanks. he cried, and we were done. haha

ok, maybe tint jobs and wheel locks are really expensive in some areas of the country, but mazda lists the locks at $24 and in my area, you can get a good tint for $100 to $150 depending on how many windows on the vehicle. and i'm sure dealers get a sweet deal discount for sending their cars to one company to have them tinted. so at the most, i figured it was costing THE DEALER around $75 if that. who cares what the retail is -- you have to approach it using their costs. that doesn't make you too popular with the salesmen -- they'd like everyone to pay msrp, but how smart is that?!?

and yeah, i know about "bait and switch", but you have to be able to walk away from the deal if they start playing those kinds of games. maybe my situation was a little simpler, as i had no trade, wanted a no option car, and no extra warranty fluff, but i would use the same techniques if the situation were completely different too...
  • Options
    dschekdschek Member Posts: 11
    Paid 17.290 + tax for 2004 hatchback with auto and abs package in Atlanta. Dealer added trunk tray and all-weather mats.
  • Options
    dsodso Member Posts: 14
    I'm in the market for a Mazda3s, and there are *very* few in my area in the color & options combo I want.

To get a little bargaining leverage I'm thinking of using CarBargains, which is the u unusual car-buying service run by consumerscheckbook.org in some major cities. It's got a great reputation. You identify the car you want (e.g., Mazda3s sedan), they get multiple dealers to bid for your business in the format "I'll charge you $x over invoice for whatever combination of options you want."

Here's my question: it's likely any dealer I choose will have to go fetch a car in trade from someone else. The folks at Checkbook tell me that part of the bid will be the fee the dealer will charge for that service.

Anybody had experience with such pickup fees? How big are they likely to be?
  • Options
    chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Mazda shows this message when trying to “build a vehicle” on their USA web site.

You have selected INTERIOR TRIM PACKAGE

This requires removal of

• ABS/SAB/SAC PACKAGE

Are you sure you want to select INTERIOR TRIM PACKAGE?

I had first selected ABS/SAB/SAC Package & then I proceeded to chose the Interior Trim Package, in addition.

Apparently & according to Mazda, the ABS/SAB/SAC Package & the Interior Trim Package (Red or Blue: Door & Instrument Trim Panel; plus premium floor mat upgrade)

I could not find this same restriction while trying to build the same vehicle on Edmund’s web site & a couple of other web sites that offer similar car build programs. In fact, on some of these independent web sites they direct the order to Blue or Red Clothed Seats when ordering Interior Trim Package (blue or red to match). Sometimes, this is done by prohibiting the order of black/charcoal leather seats in conjunction with ordering Interior Trim Package. I wasn’t able to duplicate this on Mazda’s Canadian web site because the packaging is different (without descriptions)

What gives? Who’s correct?
  • Options
    chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    I live in Philly and went to test drive a 5door last night at Faulkner Mazda. Very nice car. They quoted me $18475 for a 5speed with ABS & CD/Moonroof packages- $19,755 for the an automatic w/ same options. Sound good? These quotes were both higher than the TMV on Edmunds.
  • Options
    crowesgirlcrowesgirl Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have been looking at the Mazda 3 as my beloved Contour SVT now has 151K on it and the transmission is going:( A dealer here in San Diego (one of those "no haggle" bottom line places) has quoted a price of $15900 on a 04 3i sedan with 16,609 miles, a price of 15,995 on another used 3i with 15,429 miles and a price of $16,595 on a 6i with 11,752.

What do you think of these quotes? The 6 is 1K more with 4,000 fewer miles. Is the mileage on these cars too high? How does one negotiate with dealer that say the posted price is their bottom line?

Thanks very much!

CG
  • Options
    crowesgirlcrowesgirl Member Posts: 2
    In addition, what have been some deciding factors for others as to when it's time to sell or trade in their car? I know I'm not going to get the mileage out of a Ford that I would a Honda, etc.
  • Options
    sk0123sk0123 Member Posts: 5
    I've seen some hot deals on Mazda3s in local papers, quoting sedans for as little as $11,999 and hatchbacks for as little as $13,999. I am supposing these are loss-leaders and are barebones, no option cars with manual transmission. Actually, I was curious as to how they were equipped and ended up going to one Mazda dealer so I could see it. When I asked about the car advertised in the paper (I had written down all the stock numbers) they kept showing me different cars. When I pointed to the paper ad and asked them to show me the cars with these specific stock numbers, they started getting angry at me and lectured me on how popular the Mazda3 is, and how amazing its performance is. Well, let's just say I walked out with the salesguy running behind me trying to get me back into the showroom. I ended up visiting the local Toyota and bought a Corolla LE a few days later, but I wish I had had a better experience at the Mazda dealership (those Mazda3s look amazing!).
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Those sorts of "hot deals" are a lure, just like they are with any other dealership. I've seen it happen with Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, Nissans, Hyundais, whatever. The "car" in the page is always the lure, and amazingly enough they either sold it right after it became too late to get the ad changed, or there must be a typo in the stock number, and unfortunately, he doesn't know what the real stock number should be (You know the fine print about "Not being responsible for typographical errors" and all, right? heh)

I'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience, I'm just saying it's normal practice when dealing with many car dealers. Also, it's usually a dealer ad, rather than a national or regional brand ad. They don't want to actually SELL that car, they want to get you in the door to work on you. ;)
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Hi sko123 you are right to be disgusted by this practice of which auto dealers should be ashamed. Did the ad mention a quantity or some other text to advise consumers that these deals are limited? Did the salesman let you know that these models were gone only after you pulled out the ad?

I have had another unpleasant experience which I reported to the dealer and Mazda.

J.D. Power has noted that Mazda dealers are among the worst in terms of repeat sales. A letter to the dealer and Mazda from you about your experience and their loss of a sale would be useful. The auto brands and their dealers should realize that these practices are self-defeating and have no future.

Congratulations on the new Toyota!
  • Options
    is called bait and switch - the low cost add is the bait - once they get you in the door they try and sell you something else - that is the switch. In many dealerships they really did have the car listed in the ad - and they really did sell it to a real customer for the advertised price. Otherwise the practice is not legal. Problem is the sale was made before the ad even came out. The dealership looks back over the last weeks sales and picks the car (out of the model that they plan to feature) that they sold for the largest discount - that becomes the ad car for this week. If push comes to shove they can prove that they really did sell the car - to a real customer for the price advertised - so they have a legal leg to stand on.

The thing that really bugs me is when a dealership claims to have 350 vehicles (of the model I want) in stock ready for delivery. I call and ask the salesperson if they have the specific vehicle / color I want.(the answer is always yes - we have several). After I drive across town and find that they have zero of the specific vehicle I wanted in stock - and that instead of 350 they have maybe a dozen of that model. If they lie about some things they will lie about everything. I have even tried getting a stock number - and surprise - we just sold that car 15 minutes ago.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I'm curious why didn't you just try another Mazda dealer? The ads are just too get you in the dealer. I look at the car ads sometimes and I look at every rebate they have listed under each car: military rebate, factory rebate, lotalty rebate, and college gard rebate. They always list in the ads you can buy this car for 11,999 and the car is listed at say 17,000 dollars. You have to always look at the fine print.
  • Options
    This disclaimer was recently spotted in out paper from a Lincoln dealer....

...price includes AARP, military, college grad and and lincoln owner loyalty incentive...

Unless your an 80 year old recent college grad who is in the army and driving a Lincoln, you don't qualify.
  • Options
    salina02ussalina02us Member Posts: 6
    I want to know, if I get rebate from Madza factory,

can I still negotiate the price (after rebated) with the saleman ? He told me not; it will be the (fixed) price to purchase. Also for the car sale by Hertz; do your think cosumer can be negotiation the price or not, eacy time in the car dealer shop; I felt presure, they will hold you there until they got your business. Thanks
  • Options
    Everything is negotiable -
  • Options
    jsujsu Member Posts: 1
    I paid $250 over invoice for a mazda3s 2005 hatchback with ABS/moonroof-cd/automatic, bringing it to a total of $18,257. I was also charged license/tax + advertising fee ($150) + document preparation fee ($50). The last two charges I tried to contest without success; but from accounts I read later they are reasonable fees.

The dealership is Alhambra Mazda in Alhambra, CA.
  • Options
    The way I look at it you paid $450 over invoice -which is a pretty good deal on a 2005 model. Some pay less - but many pay more.

The main thing that bugs me about these fees is when you agree on a final price plus Tax and then they add the fees on top of the agreed on price. I always ask the salespeople to tell me about any fees up front and include it in our negotiation - or plan on not making the sale. Even though I tell them this about 1/2 the time when the paperwork gets done they have added in some additional charges. In this case I will not pay the fees / but will allow them to adjust the paperwork to show the fee - but reduce the purchase price of the car so the total equals the price WE agreed on. IMO this is fair - adding in fees after the fact is just plain wrong - the only reason dealerships do it is because they CAN.
  • Options
    The fees are never an issue if you haggle and agree to "out the door" prices...

It's the people who make the mistake of offering $xxx over invoice or just selling price who run into problems with fees.
  • Options
    I do negotiate an out the door price - except for sales tax - like - I will pay $18,300 plus sales tax. But that has not stopped several dealers from - first agreeing to accept my offer - then adding Ad & doc fees and all kinds of other junk. Most of the time they take the fees off - if they don't I normally leave and buy from someone else.

I do however use invoice as a basis for my negotiations -you have to start somewhere and invoice less rebates & holdback is as good a place as any. If I was buying a 2004 model today I would normally start even lower. In reality I normally end up some where around invoice + - $350 (less rebates of course.