Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• Options
    dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    how 'bout turning off the caps please?
  • Options
    centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I would think you should be able to add a sliding rear window before too long. Also, they did a good job with the roof rack, it is designed to set longer items against (like a headache rack)and not hit the cab. This may work for you for your longer boards, or get a ladder rack.

Also, advance is making a folding tonneau cover, should be out in march and under-cover is also making one, should be out in march as well.
  • Options
    sliding rear window is available. i have 2 XE KC's with them.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Member Posts: 9
    I had my LE CC at the dealer 3 weeks ago for the ABS/SLIP light that came on at 600 miles. They said the Nissan as put out a bulletin to the dealers to check the speed sensor wires that run to the front wheels. The wires are to short and when you turn the truck the connections come loose and the warning lights come on. The fix will be a new back ordered part from Nissan that could take weeks or they can pull more of the wire through to give more slack in the line. Nissan claims there is enough to pull. I am taking it back Friday to have them pull more wire. Other then that no issues. Great truck! Will update when complete.
  • Options
    valjavalja Member Posts: 5
    I've got the same sound - just over 2000 rpm's. Seems to be worse when the ambient air temp is under 70 (according to the mirror display). Anyone know if this is causing any harm (to the engine, not just my psyche)? I'm taking it in this weekend and will post what they say. Otherwise, I'm luvin this truck!
  • Options
    taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    I am at 1700 miles and had planned on taking mine in at 2500 or so to get oil change and have it checked out. I agree that is seems to happen and is more noticeable when it is colder. I called the dealership and they didn't seem to know anything about the issue, but they said they would check with Nissan and let me know. I told them about the posts on this site re the air intake. Please post what you find out this weekend. I agree, other than this issue, I love the truck.
  • Options
    Is the rattle a very mild sound, kind of like an intake flutter? Or is it loud and noticable? I have a small intake flutter when it is colder outside, didn't think to much of it.
  • Options
    The post that said it sounds like some marbles rattling around (but sort of muffled) is about as accurate as any I have heard - I didn't have it at all for about the first week and then I heard it for the first time on a cold morning. It isn't a horrible teeth-grinding type sound, but it is pretty noticeable - my wife asked me about it when she drove it before I had a chance to mention it to her.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Member Posts: 9
    Just got back from the dealer about the same noise. The service director at the dealer took a ride with me and he heard the rattle sound. After checking around they said it was the heat shield from the exhaust that was vibrating. they fixed it but I still hear a little bit of something...... They also fixed my ABS speed sensor.
  • Options
    Good info. Thanks - sounds like it is pretty universally held that it is an intake issue.
  • Options
    badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Hey great website,I'm still looking too see if anyone has the Frontier LE4WD King Cab.and if so any problems like this at all/ other wise I'm going to buy the Benze suv come June,but I love this new style thoe.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    Thanks!!! I'm taking a copy to my dealer tomorrow. Will post their reply.
  • Options
    kyle hendokyle hendo Member Posts: 13
    the engine rattle may not happen for some people depending on where they bought their truck. some plants are producing the problem others are not. I just bought mine in Santa fe, New Mexico and already drove it down to las Cruces, New Mexico a 265 miles drive, and not to mention the pouring rain all the way. the truck did awesome! I even ran into almost 30 minutes of fog, turned on fog lights and it was great! The cruise control worked perfectly! The truck handled the conditions great, drove so powerful up hills. I got 18 mpg going 80 on the highway! Love the truck!!
  • Options
    Just took my LE CC to the sand dunes today. Awesome, 4x4 works great. Great power. It has been raining here, tried to fish tail but the traction control kept this from happening. I am at 800 miles and love it.
  • Options
    All the 05 Frontiers come out of the Nissan North America Smyrna manufacturing plant in Tennessee so I don't think where you buy it should have much impact on this issue.
  • Options
    witch truck did you buy
  • Options
    I bought the crew 4x4 LE on friday. Love the truck, and I hope this problem does not happen to all of us. I have heard different stories on where the trucks come out of and that just my 2$. Maybe your right taylor35, all I really am worried about is that this problem does not happen to my new truck. Hope your truck is making you happy.
  • Options
    Today it is 75 degrees here and I haven't heard a peep out of the infamous rattle. Sunroof is open and it is running great. Guess it just doesn't like cold weather!

I agree with you, it is a great truck and this little blip doesn't change my view that it was the right decision over the Taco, at least for me. Everyone will have their little blips as they iron the wrinkles out of a new vehicle.
  • Options
    did you test drive the King cab at all the Le4Wd?

Just seems no one has bought one yet.trying too get some input.

Hay good luck with you Fronty dude!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I did infact drive the king nismo package. It was awesome, I really wanted the rockford phosgate system, and found out that you can not get it in the king. A nother reason for picking up the crew over the king is the back seats are roomy! I really do not mind the smaller bed, it fits me more. I wanted the crew it appeals to me more, but don't get me wrong the king is a awesome aswell.
  • Options
    chickndechicknde Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading the posts on this forum for about two months now. I had been going back and forth between the taco and the frontier. My husband and I decided on the frontier, and on friday we bought a crew cab LE 4x2 at $300 over invoice. Thank you to all who have posted their info and expierences. I do have a few questions: 1. Does anyone know how to remove the factory stereo? I have a Kenwood 7015 nav. unit I want to install. 2. Also want to install viper alarm and remote start, does anyone know how to turn off the passive arming permanently on the factory theft system. Thanks:) I love my truck!!!
  • Options
    hey thanks for the reply,KH.

Its just seem like no one has the king cab LE 4WD yet.

Good luck again.

badness,East coast,NJ
  • Options
    jwoshojwosho Member Posts: 1
    Re: noise level in Tacoma while sitting still and engine off. The whistle noise you heard in the Tacoma was due to not completely closing the door!

I test drove the taco and went 3 miles before I realized the wind noise I heard was because I failed to make sure the door was all the way closed! I drove the salesperson nuts trying to figure out the noise until I saw the red light indicating the door was not closed.

The Frontier's engine is much more quiet than the Tacoma.
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Maryland Public Television's MotorWeek just voted the '05 Nissan Frontier as the best mid-size truck for 2005. Pretty neat. MotorWeek's a good TV show and it's nice to see that not everyone in the media is doing the "me-too" no-questions-asked knee-jerk vote for the Tacoma.
  • Options
    I hit 1000 miles and was going to get an oil change (and the intake looked at), guy at Nissan said no need to change oil until 3000 miles since engines don't produce metal shaving like in the past (engine is made in a mold). Is that what everyone else is doing? Also, he said Mobile 1 wasn't any better than normal oil, I was planning on using it. Anyone have any thoughts? He knew about the intake problem (he has a frontier), but didn't know of the parts or how to fix it, so I gave him the information and he was going to look into it.
  • Options
    Just got my truck back from the dealer, their Nissan factory tech had to look (and listen) to it. He said that since it does not have a timing belt, but rather a chain, it will vibrate at certain RPMs. I specifically asked if it could cause any damage and he assured me that it was not harming the engine in any way. He ran a full diagnosis on the engine's performance and found everything to be OK. He said that until Nissan officially recognizes the problem, the dealers have to treat it as normal. Unfortunately, my knowledge of cars is too limited to know if what he said is legit. My gas mileage hasn't suffered (about 16mpg - mostly stop and go city driving) so I guess I'll try to ignore the rattling for now and hope it doesn't get any worse. If anyone in the SoCal area has made any headway with their dealership, I'd love to hear from you. Until then, I'll keep an eye on this website for any updates.
  • Options
    midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    Hmmmm, that's possible but I did not see any red lights. And it sounded like the whistling was coming from the rear side windows (tops of them).

It wouldn't keep me from buying a Tacoma if I liked the truck enough otherwise, which I don't.
  • Options
    I used to have a truck that developed a bit of vibration at roughly 2800 rpm, regardless of gear I was in. The dealer adjusted the timing chain and the noise disappeared. You may want to ask another dealer later on about this, because maybe it can be adjusted out as mine was.

I also had some noise in a Toyota truck I used to own. That was a loose heat shield; some fastener had vibrated loose after traveling a hundred miles of washboard dirt roads.

However, I thought the complaints about under-hood noise likened the sound to rattling marbles, which is NOT what either of my sounds sounded like.

Another possibility: if you drive a lot of dirt roads, there may be gravel sitting on flat areas such as a battery pan. I wondered what the rattling under my Jeep's hood was till I popped the hood and saw a sh*tload of gravel sitting in various places. After I swept it all away, the rattling went away...till more gravel accumulated.
  • Options
    jasong2jasong2 Member Posts: 18
    I mentioned this earlier in another forum . . . every nissan I have owned has had this rattle when it was new (91 PU, 04 Xterra, 05 Frontier). I haven't had the 05 looked at, but both times on the previous two cars the problem was the shield/guard around one of the exhaust components under the hood.

Jason
  • Options
    I was told the same thing - bring it in between 2500-3000 miles.

On another note, I need to have a tow hitch installed. Should I do that at dealer or is that going to be highway robbery? I saw a post that said $400 or $500 which sounds way high. Any reason to have dealer do it as opposed to somewhere else?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to search for an independent Nissan mech in my area. I'll post here if there are any developments.
  • Options
    I haven't checked yet, but usually hidden hitch, reese (or someother major company) will offer a hitch, easy to put on, for less than $150. I was told by the dealer that the lighting was fairly simple with a plug in at the tail light. Call a local installer and let them do the leg work to find out who makes one, then check for the best price online.
  • Options
    synthetic doesnt protect any BETTER than normal oil...it just lasts longer.

if you go mor ethan 5000 miles between oil changes, i would recommend synthetic...if not, dont waste your money.
  • Options
    Actually, the standard Nissan quote for the hitch receiver is $380 (MSRP), installed at the factory, not the dealership. That's for Class III hitch, which tows up to 5000 lbs and up to 500 lbs tongue weight.

The factory-installed system puts the receiver square at a cutout in the middle of the factory bumper, so it's not sticking out from the bottom of the bumper. Better clearance for 4-wheeling, when you are not pulling a trailer.

If you have an aftermarket hitch installed after getting the truck, the cost will be lower but I don't know if they would use the same cut-out style bumper. There is an additional labor charge for having to remove the bumper, which the dealer told me was necessary in a post-factory installation.

Cost will be more than $150 unless it's Class I hitch with no bumper removal required. My Wrangler's cost $150 (Draw-Tight Class I) but I was told that a Class III hitch for my '92 Toyota truck would be at least $250, because the bumper would have to be removed first. I decided to just trailer off a $10 ball on the stout bumper, because it was a light trailer and the bumper is rated to tow 3500 lbs w/350 lb tongue weight. Wiring cost $50. Total of $60...not bad. Just have to be careful not to jacknife it.

So yes, it's cheaper to get the hitch installed at an aftermarket place (sort of like getting better stereo systems for less money aftermarket). I chose the factory hitch receiver anyway because I like the better clearance. The factory system is covered by the vehicle warranty.
  • Options
    The problem is ordering one with a hitch was taking months to get. I put a class II hitch to a wrangler (installation, with wiring) for less than $150. The rear clearance is a huge thing, didn't know about it being integrated into the bumper. I wonder how much they would charge to do this at the dealer. I saw pics of the dealer installed hitch, looks just like any other aftermarket, under bumper hitch. I wasn't going to get one because I always end up running into the ground with it. Do you have pics of the factory installed hitch?
  • Options
    Didn't realize the pics are on Nissans website. This is a very nice hitch. I wonder if you can get this added on for a reasonable cost.
  • Options
    The Nissan catalog pictures show different hitch set-ups.

The "Selection Guide" catalog, which details all Frontier models and features plus accessories and options, shows the cut-out style factory bumper that I described above. (See items H, I, and J). That's what was on the dealer's Titan that he pointed out to me as being the factory set-up.

But the general Frontier catalog contains a photo of a blue SE KC 2WD with a typical under-bumper hitch. Maybe the cut-out style is only for 4WD models???

I figured it was worth the extra $100 or so to gain better clearance at that end.
  • Options
    truckrestruckres Member Posts: 2
    I keep bouncing back and forth between these two trucks. I want a 4X4 crew cab and both have their pros and cons. One concern I have with the Frontier is the wider turning circle (over 2.5 feet wider than the Tacoma). Frontier owners, what have you experienced as far as maneuverability?

Also the back seat seems smaller in Frontier and more upright. I would appreciate anyone's comments.
  • Options
    Is power a factor? If so, I would say the frontier. If your worried about the maneuverability of the frontier, I have the 4x4 crew LE and it can make all the u-turns you want aswell as park it where you need to. The back seats are really roomy. Go with what fits you best, the frontier is a awesome truck! I love mine!!
  • Options
    danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I believe a comparably equipped Frontier and Tacoma have similar turning circles; the Tacoma Double Cab long bed has a very large turning circle, comparable to a Silverado, so get the short bed Tacoma if that is a concern.

Combined front and rear legroom is bigger in the Frontier. Put a six-footer in the front, then try to put the same person in the back, and you'll see the Frontier is bigger. If you're only interested in front legroom, the Tacoma is bigger.

Biggest deciding factors for me were:

1. Tacoma's rear drum brakes feel weak to me.

2. Frontier has more power on regular than Tacoma on premium.

3. Drove four 05 Tacomas; all had quality problems. Worst was difficulty going in and out of 4wd, similar to what others have reported on this forum, as well as numerous car magazines. Tacoma owner forums report many problems with the 05. If you prefer Tacoma, wait a year or two to get the bugs out. Frontier, Xterra, and Pathfinder share the Titan's platform, which is in its second year. 04 Titan owners have reported few problems.

4. Tacoma exhaust hangs below the transfer case skid plate, so it will get damaged off-road. Everything on the Frontier is tucked above the frame or skid plates. 04 and earlier Tacomas had the best ground clearance; for 05 the Frontier is best.

I had a deposit on a Ridgeline because I've had excellent experience with my 02 Odyssey, 04 Accord, and 05 Odyssey. After seeing the Ridgeline at the press introduction in San Diego, I concluded it wasn't capable of serious off-roading because the exhaust is the lowest point on the right side of the vehicle from front to rear. I got my deposit back and bought an 05 Frontier NISMO Crew and have taken it off-road in places that are normally only conquered by friends with heavy aftermarket mods. For off-road, the Frontier is the clear winner for me. For other considerations, MotorWeek and USAToday pick Frontier. Motor Trend picks Tacoma because of its many configurations.

Getting back to your original question: turning circles seem close, unless you get the Tacoma Double-Cab long bed, which has a HUGE turning circle. I like Frontier's back seat better, especially folding ease and flexibility compared to Tacoma. If you're not interested in off-roading or towing more than 5000 pounds, wait until March and buy a Ridgeline, which is probably better than both the Tacoma and Frontier in most respects. I'm an off-roader, so the Frontier was the best choice for me. I haven't regretted it.
  • Options
    Truxedo.com has a custom, locking cover for the 05 Frontier. Installed one on mine last week and like it. Custom colors are available. Try autoanything.com for best price (I paid $403).
  • Options
    In my view the Frontier is very easy to get around in (I have the LE CC 4x4). I park in a garage fairly often and it is a breeze to get in and out of fairly tight spaces. I drove both the long bed and short bed Tacomas and for me, driving the Frontier was more fun which is what my decision came down to - gut feel. This from a three time Toyota owner (although not a truck).
  • Options
    Canceled my order on a Ridgeline (not enough ground clearance and off-road ability) and took delivery of a NISMO 4x4 crew. Have had it for 2 weeks and 2500 miles (I drive a lot).

Picked Frontier over Tacoma because of 05 Tacoma quality problems reported by owners and magazines, especially 4x4 system. Dakota has inadequate ground clearance; Colorado's back seat and power are lacking imo.

Some mags say NISMO street ride is rough, but I like it. Gas mileage is always within 1/2 mpg of trip computer. I get 15-16 around town, 18-19 on highway doing 80. Wish it had a lighted glove box, automatic door locks, and homelink, but otherwise interior is virtually perfect. Back seat folding flexibility is better than any other truck I know of, although Titan has more room of course. Nissan's ads are right on: the most powerful mid-size truck, period. My track tests ran 0-60 in 7.5, which matches most magazine tests. Stability system limits power off the line to keep the rears from spinning, so the actual seat-of-the pants feel is actually stronger from about 15mph on up. Stability system is awesome! Lets you rotate on dirt roads just a little, then automatically straightens you out. I find myself cornering ever faster as I gain confidence in the system. Traction package is a definite bargain at $500; a must-have imo.

Truxedo.com makes a custom, lockable, cover for the bed. Installed mine last week.

Very happy with my purchase. However, if you're not into off-roading or towing over 5000 pounds, I'd wait until March and buy a Ridgeline. JMHO
  • Options
    truxedo looks nice, but I don't feel comfortable leaving $2000 worth of scuba equipment in the back of my truck when a knife could cut through it. Also, I didn't see any support beams. How does it standup to long term use or a couple inches/feet of snow on it?
  • Options
    2500 miles in 2 weeks! I think you might have more miles on an '05 than anybody else here.

Gas mileage: do you have manual or auto transmission? 18-19 mpg is lower than the EPA highway rating, but if you were in 5th gear instead of the tall 6th gear, it makes sense.

Traction control: which type of traction control are you talking about, the ABLS that is on all the '05s, or the special package that is optional on the automatic transmission trucks? I managed to (accidentally) peel out a KC 4WD in 1st gear, so my experience is that the stick shift does have a surprisingly strong seat-of-the-pants feel right from a dead stop.

I prefer the NISMO suspension also. Can't stand the 2.5-ton marshmallow feeling that many SUVs have.

Went to the library and saw that Motor Trend's tests listed Frontier's 0-60 mph at 7.6 sec (4WD 6-spd NISMO), a full second faster than their Tacoma's results. Somebody posted earlier that the Tacoma was faster by 0.5 sec, so I wonder where that came from. If the truck in question was an X-Runner, that'd be no surprise, but real-life scenario would compare 4WD to 4WD, TRD to NISMO, manual to manual or auto to auto.

BTW, I read that Dakota's ground clearance in '05 is identical for 2WD and 4WD. Question is, is the 4WD low or the 2WD high? Looks like the former. Strange; it must save production costs, plus people might like it better for highway handling.
  • Options
    It has two horizontal beams. Looks perfectly flat and has automatic tensioners to keep it flat with temperature changes. I paid about $70 extra to get the low-profile version that is flush with the top of the bed. Looks good. Nissan markets a hard tonneau for 950, or a soft one for 300; don't know the features for either. Truxedo came highly recommended and was the only one I could find custom fit for the 05. You're right, anyone can cut through a soft top. I had a Roll-and-lock on my Silverado. Great cover, but not dust proof for off-roading.
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have said I have the auto with the traction package, which includes VSC/VSA, HSA, and HDC. The stability control is great for speeding around slick corners. The HSA and HDC work in reverse as well as forward, and give amazing ability for crawling down hills. Even if you don't off-road, I would still spend the 500 just for the VSA; it's that good.

With my auto, I get 22 on the highway if I keep it down to 65, but most of my highway miles are at 80+, so my mileage drops to the 18-19 range. Less gas mileage than I would have liked, since my 01 Silverado consistently got 16-17, but I'm still happy with the Frontier.

My seat of the pants in the Tacoma and Dakota was slower than Frontier. All 05 Dakotas only have 7 inches ground clearance according to Dodge, which is why I dropped them from consideration.
  • Options
    My dealer quoted me a cost/retail of 120/180 for the 05 Frontier receiver hitch rated up to 6500 pounds.
  • Options
    >> The factory-installed system puts the receiver square at a cutout in the middle of the factory bumper, so it's not sticking out from the bottom of the bumper. Better clearance for 4-wheeling, when you are not pulling a trailer. <<

The 05 Frontier doesn't have a cutout in the bumper, so the factory receiver goes underneath, doesn't it? This is my dilemma: bumper hitch and 3500 capacity, or lose a little departure angle and 6500 capacity. I'm leaning towards the latter, as I can always remove the hitch for off-roading.
  • Options
    The dealer quote of $180 MSRP for a Class IV hitch installed sounds very fishy--or like a quote from a car salesman who does not know the different class ratings and prices. It sounds to me like a Class I hitch receiver. Edmunds' pricing for Frontier hitch receiver option (no class specified) is $380 MSRP, $279 invoice. I saw a price elsewhere of $400-something MSRP for Class IV, and my dealer told me the $380 is for Class III installed at the factory, which includes a bumper with a notch cutout to accommodate the hitch square higher up.

As I mentioned in another post above, Nissan's glossy catalogs show both the below-bumper hitch in one photo and the cutout bumper with hitch higher up in another photo.

If I understand the photo and my dealer correctly, there IS no dilemma. You just have to get the factory hitch with the cutout bumper if you want better ground clearance. Tow capacity/class of hitch receiver is a different question (though it's possible that the Class IV is not useable with a cutout bumper). I'm getting Class III with cutout bumper for $380 from the factory.

If you actually need to tow 6500 lbs, you should get Class IV. But be careful, because not every Frontier model is rated to tow 6500 lbs, not even every V6 model. The NISMO 6-spd rating is 6300 lbs. Maximum tow rating usually goes to a 2WD truck with HD suspension, not 4WD.

The advantage of the cutout is that when the hitch bar and ball are removed from the receiver square, nothing sits lower than the bottom of the bumper. In a standard setup, the square is below the bumper.

Remember to get a hitch bar that has the proper drop for towing your trailer flat. You can run just a $10 ball from a sturdy bumper to tow (the one on my 2WD truck is rated for 3500 lbs towing), but with 4WD truck the trailer and load would be sloping down.

IMO, it's better to pay more for a low-profile hitch receiver than to have to unbolt a standard hitch receiver every time I want to go 4-wheeling. But I tow a trailer twice a week for most of the year.

On a different note, I don't want the traction package and can't get it anyway with the 6-spd manual. The ABLS will be more than enough for everyday driving, and the locker is there for 4-wheeling. I'm not that wild about electronic everything, ABS braking, power doors and windows etc. Speeding around corners is not my thing...too many dead elk and deer here (blind curves) have convinced me of that.