Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Thanks for your comments. The 120 wholesale / 180 retail is for the receiver hitch only; I was planning on installing it myself. The picture with the cutout bumper looks like a Pathfinder bumper, whereas the picture of the blue truck with the receiver below the bumper matches what the dealer installed an another customer's Frontier. I haven't found any in AZ with the hitch from the factory. I had to drive with my salesman from Phoenix to Tucson to get one with both side airbags and the traction package. One drive with the VDC in the traction package and you'd never want to be without it. Dirt roads, rain-slick streets, it's the best. VDC is also the one feature that the IIHS and others are recommending as the single best feature to prevent accidents that every vehicle should have. Honda is making it standard on all their vehicles; hopefully others will, too. The added benefits of HSA and HDC are great for off-roaders like me, but I would have paid just for the VDC portion; it's that good. My understanding is the traction package is available with the manual transmission, too, but I could be wrong.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Has anyone test driven the 4 banger XE King Cab?

Gas prices are on the rise again, and fuel economy is a consideration.

Any impressions of that test drive would be appreciated.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I've been waiting to drive one myself. They are just now getting here to So Cal, and so far NO Auto Trans has been sighted with the 4 cyl. Not even listed on the "Build Your Nissan" at nissanusa.com

It's supposed to be a 5-speed auto, too - maybe even w/ gated shifter... might be great. Anyone seen one yet?
    I'd most likely look at the stick shift if I got serious about putting down my $$.

The 05 Fronty is heavy, and an automatic coupled to the 2.5 might be sluggish, or you'd have to really put your foot into it to make it go. I'd have to test drive both to have a valid opinion. I'd suspect the striper XE won't be a priority for the build schedule for a while.

Anyway, my 3 liter Ranger is hanging in there. It just has the power of a four banger and the gas consumption of a big V6, LOL.
    Much as I love Nissans, I'd opt for the Tacoma Access Cab. It is several hundred pounds lighter than the King Cab Frontier, and quite a bit more power. I've test-driven 4 of them, and even with the auto, it's more than decent with 2 aboard. I prefer the stick myself.

It's amazing how much more room there is in the cab of the Toyota - real full-size people can fit in the back of it.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    oh please...a tacoma access cab fits full-size people? maybe in tha land of OZ...

and which tacoma has more power than the comparable frontier???

if you are going to offer an opinion on your preference, at least have the facts.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Midnightsun (or anyone else), did you purchase a topper and do you have any pics of it on your truck? I am considering a topper vs tonneau and would like to see what the topper is going to look like. thanks.
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    I don't have have my truck yet, let alone the topper, LOL! Last week I received confirmation that my "order was accepted" by Nissan. Now I'm waiting for notice of the actual delivery date; when I get that, I'll drive to the topper shop and take a look at the new Leer topper for '05 Frontier.

If it's like the other Leers, it should be nice-looking.

I bet they have a website, where there might be a photo of the new topper.
    if it was accepted this month, then it will be built in march sometime. delivery date will be around 4 weeks from the build date.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    No pics on website that is why I was hoping you would have one, thanks anyway. Good luck on the truck.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    I've just completed my baseline dyno tests and am pleasantly surprised at the results. Using Nissan's claims of 265 crank horsepower, I expected to see 210-215 rear wheel HP after driveline losses (I have an automatic trans). Dyno pulls averaged 225.5 RWHP and 230.10 torque--both on 87 octane gas! Looks like Nissan was conservative or driveline losses are less than usual; either way I'm happy! To see the info and pics of the charts, see my site here:
    http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/dynotesting.htm
    Rev,

I read your finding with interest - great reporting as usual. I too found the HP to really come on after 2800 RPM's. My experience with Nissan engines shows that their sweet spot is higher in the rpm ladder. For a truck, where you'd like the grunt down a little lower, its a compromise. The torque does arrive earlier in the band, like your dyno tests show, peaking at 4100 RPMs.

One question - you just dropped a K&N filter into the factory air box in place of the stock filter, right?

I'd be willing to wager you'd get a much better boost with a replacement of entire airbox assembly. Don't know if there are any after market "popcharger" kits available yet, that accepts a cone style K&N air filter. Stillen has a great web site for all kinds of aftermarket components and its only a matter of time before they stock one for the 05 Frontier.

http://www.stillen.com/
    I believe that I probably would realize some gain with a cold air system such as the FIPK, but none are available yet. I really wanted to test the drop-in filter for two reasons:
    1) It's the most common change that owners make, and 2) I wanted to test K&N's claim that it increased horsepower.
    Actually, I don't plan to keep the K&N installed. To get to my ranch I have to drive 8 miles of dirt road and I much prefer a paper filter for that kind of duty.
  • mann1961mann1961 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have purchase a new 2005 Frontier, I love the way the truck drive but there is something that keep me wondering, When it is cold I hear a tapping sound as get close to shift gear, but after it warm up it seem to go away. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, rev. I have some questions which are probably very basic, so please bear with me.

* Years ago I heard a motorcycling acquaintance enthusing about one model because it was "peaky." Is there a certain feel when driving one like that? I mean, does it feel like you are suddenly launching? Wouldn't that be not so hot for a truck? Or is it that it is easier to know when to shift...could be fun on a motorcycle?

* You stated that the tests were run in 3rd gear. If the tests were run in, say 1st gear (or any different gear ratio), how would that affect the results (shape, or shifting of curve horizontally or vertically)?

* Why does the curve only show results from 3000+ rpms and up?

* If I want to get more torque ONLY at low rpms, what can I do? Change something in the transmission or transfer case? (Mainly interested in low range 4WD.) I asked the dealer guy about this and he warned me about changing out single items without considering other factors. Not looking to make huge changes, just some tweaking to preference.
    When I go to look at the toppers, I'll take photos of them (as long as the store allows it) and post a link to my website here.

dbauer, thanks for the estimate on delivery date. The dealer did say the truck would be built in March.
    Hey, midnightsun--some answers for you:
    * By "peaky" I'm just referring to the way the engine delivers its power. Rather than make its best horsepower and torque in the lower RPM ranges it comes on strong above 4000 RPM. This is not usually a desireable trait in a truck engine where the grunt is needed low in the power band. This is not to say that the 4.0 V-6 is weak at lower rpms, but that it just comes on really strong in the upper end.
    * Good dyno operators usually try to run tests in a gear that is as close as a 1:1 ratio as possible; that minimizes drivetrain losses and gives the most consistent readings. In a manual transmission that is usually 4th gear. I would like to have used 4th gear for the tests, but this automatic wouldn't hold in 4th.
    * One of the problems in doing a dyno test with an automatic trans is that you don't want it to downshift during the test. With a manual you can just step on the gas and lug the engine until it builds up revs; an auto would downshift if you tried that. We had to get up to about 3000 rpm before accelerating in 3rd or the tranny would downshift, so we got no readings below that.
    * With this engine there is not much you can do to gain torque only at low rpm's. A good tuner can tweak the ECM to change the timing and fuel ratios, thus moving the power band lower; SuperChips does that for Ford engines, for example. I don't know of anyone doing ECM work on the VQ40 engine, though. As far as I know your only option is to change the rear end gearing to a lower (higher numerically) ratio, but that would hurt fuel economy.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    witch truck did you get,I'm looking for some infor on the LE4WDking cab...?
    so how is the trucK <how is the ride,give me the low down on your truck if you can now one has this truck,love some input if you can.thanks
    Brad,east coast NJ.
    Take it easy, dbauer. No one's trying to cut in to your Frontier sales. Now as for me, I don't sell cars for a living - I'm an Engineer. To my way of thinking, people have choices, and most of them like having information to help them do so. These forums exist to allow the free exchange of ideas and information, and not to allow the spreading of disinformation by salespeople to assist in making sales. So, here's some information - compared to the Frontier King Cab, the Tacoma Access Cab weighs hundreds of pounds less, has more power (I'm talking about the 4-cylinders here), and a considerably roomier rear seat. I've driven the vehicles I'm writing about, and sat in the back seats of both (I'm 6'4"). Just the facts here.

I'd rather buy a vehicle from Nissan - I've owned 4 of them already. On the '05's, in these categories, the Tacoma is ahead.
  • boarhogboarhog Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I have test driven both the Tacoma and the Frontier, both 4 cylinder. Don't get a company truck anymore (best kind of truck). I have no need for the 6 or 8 cylinder and have always driven Toyotas and Hondas. I like the way the Nissan drives, a negative is the back seat. My 11 year old daughter does not like it there for long(in either truck). There are a couple of features I like on the Frontier better than the Tacoma. I like the 4 wheel disc brakes and the timing chain versus the timing belt. The oil filter on the Nissan is in a very convenient location. I am torn really.

Here is the pricing difference. The Nissan does not offer power options in the 4 cylinder.

2005 Toyota Tacoma
    4x2 Access Cab 127.2 in. WB Base
    MSRP Invoice
    Base Price $16,855 $15,463
    Destination $565 $565
    Convenience Pkg $1,460 $1,168
    Total Price $18,880 $17,196

Convenience Pkg $1,460 $1,168
    SR5 PKG $2,085 $1,668

2005 Nissan Frontier 4x2 King Cab 125.9 in. WB
    MSRP Invoice
    Base Price $15,500 $14,659
    Destination $580 $580
    Selected Options $1,750 $1,518
    Total Price $17,830 $16,757

Option contains:
    - Air Conditioner
    - Radio: AM/FM w/CD1
    - Neck Type Tilt Steering
    - Sliding Rear Window
    - Privacy Glass

$439 buys you a lot of options. I still don't know which one to get.

Scott
    I'm with you on the 4-wheels discs. Toyota really pinched a few penneys on that one. The Highlander has 4-wheels discs - why can't the trucks? Nissan wins on that score.

I haven't been a fan of timing belts either, but that's where you needn't worry about either truck - the Tacoma's new 2.7L 2TR-FE four-cylinder engine has a timing chain. So did the older 2.4L 2AZ-FE, as still used in the Highlander. On that one, the oil filter is a snap - no jack or ramp needed, as it's right up front, and it's straight up - no spilling at all. Not sure about the 2.7L - anyone done theirs yet?

Sorry, but I may have made your choice a little tougher. Did your daughter sit in the back of the Toyota yet?
  • gamealldaygameallday Member Posts: 1
    jflash,

Does your truck have VDC and was it turned on/off during your tests?

I test drove a 2005 Frontier V6 and it felt real sluggish, but that is because VDC was turned on at the time.
  • chipchipchipchip Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a truck, preferabbly midsize. Don't want to be a Toyota sheep, not liking the composite bed, and I really like the Fronty. But after seeing recent JDPower for ratings for Titan and Quest, I am leery of new Nissan trucks and quality control. And also reading problems with Titan and Armada. Anyways, hopefully all 2005 Fronty owners can relate the ownership experiences and problems if any they are having.

Please, I am not looking for a fight/argument. I am not trying to provoke Nissan bashing. Just want the honest truth and info so I can make an informed purchase before I plunk down my hard earned money. Hope you guys understand. Thanks.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I have 2000 miles on my LE crew cab v6 auto. NO problems at all. I love my truck 19/20 mpg on regular gas.I live in South Florida and I don't really see alot of these trucks on the road. I see tacoma's. My freind has a tacoma and has already dealt with the water leak and drive train vibration.The vibration was only tires
    Thanks again, rev.

I don't know that I'd actually want to make any changes, just checking out possible options if I do. I suppose I could go to a 4x4 site but those seem to be dominated with lift this, lift that, liftliftlift questions. The truck felt pretty darned good to me as it was, road testing on the highway. I'm just wondering how it'd do on an extremely steep grunt from a stop, possibly pulling a trailer. It's a light trailer but again, I'm checking things out for the future in case that changes.
    I ordered a KC 4WD NISMO 6-spd.

If you need info on features of the LE, the Nissan catalogs are pretty good. (Not much in the way of technical specs but has all the details about interior and exterior dimensions, etc.)

Have you test driven any of the '05 Frontiers? The KC and CC share the same wheelbase; the CC just has a shorter bed. So if you can't find a KC to try, go ahead and test a CC with auto transmission (which is what the LE comes with). The auto feels very different from the 6-spd, IMO (I drove both). Likewise, NISMO felt noticeably stiffer than the SE or LE I drove...sorry but I can't remember which it was. Actually, I might have driven one of each.

I saw 2 new Frontiers today. Have been seeing very few of either them or the new Tacomas, which surprises me.
    Hello,I just looked at the Frontier cc-LE4ED wow its nice,it looks real nic with the snow coming down,beging I live on the east coast and its snowing in NJ,I looked at the RED,Gray ,Black looks Awesome!!!,and also the green it didn't tickle my Tummy @ all.I just might reconsider the CC4WD,LE instead of the King cab,all I can say is wow what a nice A x x Truck.
    Good luck Dude
    hey can you give me a little detail on your truck,what highs and lows are if any?

thanks
    B< NJ,east coast
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    After 1 month and 3800 miles, I can honestly say my 05 CC NISMO is one of the best vehicles I have owned.

I've had three flawless Hondas (02 Odyssey, 04 Accord, 05 Odyssey), and had a deposit on an 06 Ridgeline. After

determining the Ridgeline lacked real off-road ability, I got my deposit back and bought the Frontier. Some of my

Honda "buddies" on the Honda forum are pissed that I broke ranks, but so be it. USAToday, MotorWeek, and others have

picked Frontier over the Tacoma and all others as best mid-size truck. Motor Trend picked the Tacoma because of its

many configurations, but didn't consider new-model bugs and real off-road performance. The Tacoma has rear drums, and

its exhaust hangs below the transfer case skid plate. I drove four 05 Tacomas; they all had a quality problem like

leaking exhaust manifolds and 4x4 systems that wouldn't go in or out of 4wd. At least two magazines have also

reported problems during their Tacoma road tests with the 4wd system. Toyota owner forums are reporting many problems

with the 05 Tacoma. I've only seen one problem reported with the 05 Frontier ("ticking" noise); I haven't had any

problems.

The Frontier rides a little more like a truck than the Ridgeline, but it is still an excellent ride on the highway

(corners as well as or even slightly better than our Odyssey), and is truly amazing off-road. On my current trip, I

unintentionally buried it in mud and was able to power out without engaging the rear differential lock; the 4-wheel

limited slip is truly amazing. The VDC is fabulous at keeping the vehicle straight on slippery roads and curves. The

traction package is worth the $500 just for the VDC. The few times I have used the HDC and HSA portions of the

traction package, they were great, too.

Unexpected surprises: the build quality actually seems better than our 04 Accord and 05 Odyssey. Absolutely no

squeaks or rattles, despite severe off-roading, and little things like the sound and quality of the doors closing is

better than on our Hondas. Interior switches are great; speed-sensitive volume control works better than any other

vehicle I have sampled. Rear seat in CC that folds both up and down gives great flexibility. Front passenger seat

that folds flat is great, too. Bed utili-track is great, but there is no 120V outlet option like Tacoma. After

market power inverters are easy to come by, though. Three interior power ports, two that are switched and one that is

always hot, is very clever. Cup holders front and rear will actually hold the big gulp cups; Tacoma doesn't do that.

Power from the engine is strong. Transmission shifts are silky smooth. Cruise control resume is extremely smooth and

doesn't downshift unnecessarily like our Hondas do. Double glove box with exterior that doesn't show fingerprints is

a nice touch. Everyone should have one-touch open-close sunroofs like the Frontier; our Hondas don't.

Disappointments: better fuel mileage would be nice, but 15-20 is competitive in the market. I get about 17 with the

automatic doing 85-90 in hilly terrain. 21 gallon fuel tank limits range somewhat on the highway. Radio display is

not as legible in bright sunlight as Honda displays.

Things I would change: add auto door locks, bigger fuel tank, power driver's seat on the NISMO, at least one glove box

light.

I'm not sure what quality problems you're referring to from JD Power. I researched extensively before buying the

Frontier and didn't find any red flags. I really wanted to consider the Tacoma, but in recent years Toyota has had

quality bugs with new models, as I relayed above. Titan, Frontier, Pathfinder, Armada, and Xterra share a common

platform, and all the recent reviews I have read on all of these models have been quite good. I actually think the

Frontier is quieter and rides better than the Titan.

Hope this answers some of your questions. If you don't need to off-road or tow over 5000 pounds, consider the

Ridgeline. It's on the same platform as the 05 Odyssey, which I can attest from personal experience is a fabulous

ride, too. Happy shopping.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I have a crew cab LE v6 auto NO leather I love every thing about this truck. I drove the tacoma /dakota / canyon. You can take the canyon and dacota out of the contest no comparision. I was all hot to buy the Tacoma and I could not get the deal I wanted. I am glad I had to wait for the frontier to come out.The tacoma is having alot of problems. The only place the tacoma beats my frontier is the back seat comfort in my opinion. My chevy S10 was on its last leg. I have owned chevys for the past 28 years with no problems. Chevy is sleeping in their design department
    lets get one thing straight here...i dont come here to make sales.

secondly, you didnt specify your height in the original post. most people are significantly shorter than you, so your generalization about backseat space is misleading.

last, 85% of these trucks (both of them) will have a v6 engine. you again generalized to the very small minority. again, misleading to most. your post wreaked of flaming the frontier, and i adressed it.

to avoid people responding to you this way in the future, explain your findings, ie...

"i found the toyota to have more backseat space. im 6'4", so that might not matter to most."

"i found the 4-cyl. models to have better acceleration in the toyota."
  • kyle hendokyle hendo Member Posts: 13
    I am going on a trip, and wanted to take my laptop computer. I was wandering if anyone has used a power converter, and what they thought about it. thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I picked up an inverter at Radio Shack for just that thing. The wife will use it with her laptop or the kids will plug in their CD players to save the batteries on long trips. A 60 watt inverter runs about $40.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    Now thats great, I don't think I would go off roading but I use 4wd alot in the winter and in some mud.... but all I can say is what a great break down.I'm thinking of the Le cc. and going too try and work it out so I can get the sun roof in the pkg.One thing I have one ace card my friend said he knows some peeps in Nissan so I going too try and get a deal with him and compare dealers and if it not good try buying on line....once again thanks and good luck with your truck!!(what color did you get).
    Brad ,NJ<East Coast)
    can you fit adults in the back seat at all,thats big for me,if not I might get the king cab after all but the cc 4wd Le is soooo sharp.
    This is in response to dbauer post #611 in which he is now telling people what they can and cannot post about the product he sells. I'll continue to write what I feel is appropriate - usually facts are what I work with. Once again, for the record, it was my post #599. The greater 4-cylinder horsepower and torque in the Tacoma vs. the Frontier is a demonstrable, documented fact. That the Frontier weighs several hundred pounds more than the Tacoma is a demonstrable, documented fact. More rear seat room in the Tacoma Access Cab versus the Nissan King Cab is a fact, and has nothing to do with anyone's height. I like the Frontier, and may buy one someday (already owned a '93 Nissan Pickup and loved it). The new one is better in every way, and is probablyh a better deal for many, over the Tacoma. But that doesn't change anything that I posted here or earlier.

dbauer, why are you flaming people that present facts? Who are you trying to kid?

You're "suggestions" of how or what I should post seem to tell me that I should only present my opinions. I've got plenty of those as well, but people who read theses Forums know that too many posts are nothing but opinions. That's nice and all, but still facts are what I base my decisions on, not an opinion of someone I don't know. You're entitled to your opinions, as is everyone else on these Forums. But neither your opinion or mine changes any facts. Why are you afraid of facts? Your continued bashing of any statements that might cast Nissan in a bad light demean me, you, Nissan, and salespeople in general. If you've got any facts to add, I'd be happy to read them. You stated that I am misleading people - I have mislead no one. I posted factual information - not my opinion, not a flame on Nissan or you - merely facts. For presenting them, you are flaming me. As to your first statement about getting things straight - I'll let others decide whether you're here to sell Nissans or not.
    edmunds has already decided whether i sell nissans here. i come here on my own time, for my personal enjoyment.

in the original post, you gave generalizations as to why you prefer the toyota. you offered no actual facts in that post. thats what i was asking for in the last post, and thats why i made suggestions as to how your opinion may be better received.

saying "the toyota has more power" is vague and ambiguous at best and, yes, misleading at worst.

all im asking is for you to demonstrate your thought a little more so the rest of us schlubs can better understand what you mean.
    just tell me which posts were misleading
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A little heated debate is OK now and then, but PLEASE don't let this slip off into a personal beef. Remember that one of the hardest things to do is to say exactly what you mean in a message board posting and have it understood the way you intended it to be taken.

Beleive it or not, once in a while you might see something on a message board that you disagree with or that may be less than 100% accurate. That should be a basis for discussion, not challenges.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Boarhog,

Not sure if having side curtain airbags is an important option to you, but the Nissan King Cab XE offers it and the Toyota Access Cab doesn't.

The interior passenger volume specs of both the Nissan King Cab and the Toyota Access Cab are very close in size; however, the Toyota to me looks bigger.

If your 11 year old doesn't like the amount of space in the Access/King Cab now, I am sure she really won't like it as she keeps growing.
    If your 11 year old doesn't like the amount of space in the Access/King Cab now, I am sure she really won't like it as she keeps growing.

I agree. When I test drove, another person (5'9") sat in the back of both Frontier and Tacoma extended cabs and deemed them "not bad, but...." I also sat in the back of the Frontier KC myself; I am smaller. Neither of us would want to ride in back of either truck for more than a short time. They ARE bigger and more comfortable than the sideways-facing seat I endured in an old Ranger/Mazda.

There is going to be an entire generation of kids who right now are riding around in extended cabs and crew cabs, who will grow to absolutely LOVE riding in the back of a car or van. Even a full-size truck's crew cab is not as spacious as the back seat of a compact car.

How many parents are buying trucks (with incredibly short beds) for family-hauling just because minivans and SUVs are passe? And how many of these trucks are tall 4WDs that the kids can barely step into?
    "Even a full-size truck's crew cab is not as spacious as the back seat of a compact car."

ummm...havent been in a crew cab lately have you...
  • 05frontierown05frontierown Member Posts: 1
    Chip;
    I did lots of research myself before making the decision to go w/ an 05 Frontier over a 05 Tacoma. Have only had the Frontier for 48 hours and cannot speak much re long-term use. I do believe that the '04 problems with Titan and Armada (know friends with them) have been addressed and will not surface on '05 models. I love my new truck. Ride quality is rock solid {much more so than in the Titan} (smooth and SILENT), acceleration is respectable and braking is firm). My family of four fits fine (small compared to our Pilot, but hey . . . ). Nissan is really focussed on selling the Titan and no incentives are being offered on Frontiers, but I offered $500 over invoice and the offer was accepted without any hassle. Can let you know if you like what my longer term impressions are as they form, but immediately I can tell you that I like the 05 Frontier a lot (although I do miss some of the things I had on my Grand Cherokee: heated mirrors {freezing rain today}, compass and outside temp AND keyless entry. I know that some of these items are options for the Frontier but we choose to go as "cheaply" as possible and the a fore mentioned items are missed by me (maybe not by you).
    I have never been a "sheep" and this mentality probably contributed to my decision of Nissan over Toyota (along with the 4 wheel discs, slightly higher BHP, and stronger frame construction). Only time will tell as to where your $ is best placed for '05, but so far I have to say that I am very impressed with the package offered by Nissan.
    Happy hunting . . .
  • jasong2jasong2 Member Posts: 18
    I would agree with dbauer - my Nissan CC rear seating is comparable, if not better, than many compact/midsize cars and my 4 year daughter finds it much easier getting in and out of the CC than any car she's been in.

Jason
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I know I'm kind of jumping in here, but...

I'm hopeful the teething problems seen on the new '04 trucks won't surface on the '05s. The Titan, Quest, and Armada are all built at the brand new Canton, MS plant. That plant has had some well documented quality issues. The Frontier, XTerra, and Pathfinder are being built in Smyrna, TN. That plant has been operating for over 20 years, building Frontiers, Sentras, and more recently Maximas and Altimas. They know what they're doing in Smyrna.

-Jason
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I'm interested in a 4x2 Fronty SE CC 6-Speed and the simple ABLS Limited Slip. Two questions:

* Can the ABLS be turned on and off? (Spinning the wheels is fun sometimes.)
    * Does the ABLS also reduce the engine power or does it soley brake the slipping wheel?

Thanks.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I have an 05 Frontier with the vq40 engine.
    I took it in today to have the tech at the dealer listen to the sound. They had not heard of the problem. I mentioned that I had seen the problem on several forums, and that one user had the manifold replaced, which fixed the noise. THey had to follow protocol and call the Nissan tech line. Nissan knew of the problem. They ordered a new intake manifold, gasket, and some adapter. Just to be clear, the rattling/clicking sound I have comes on at 2100 RPM, but not prior, and fades out as RPMs climb. It is most noticeable when the truck is warmed up. This problem is, apparently, not a functionality problem, but just a nuisance (as of now). I hope this helps.
    can adults fit in the cc. back seats good??
    Probably would be best if you called Nissan and asked them directly.

But some info on the Xterra stated that the ABLS both brakes the spinning wheel as well as supplying power to the wheel with good traction. I don't think it can be turned off--have to trust the electronic brain, I guess.