Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    I have an Auto also. I will have to start taking note when it's occuring -- it seems to occur when I first start up, but I think it's happened after I've driven a while too.
  • ironwingsironwings Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate this write as I just ordered my 2005 dbl cab/shbd/trd offrd/4x4 in silver and auto tranny.It should be in at the end of the month. My last was a 81 toy 4x4 long ago and it was a great truck. I have owned many since and always wanted to go back, I finally did. But most of these writes are not looking so good and make me wonder if I made the right choice.
  • sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    Keep in mind that people come here to discuss problems, so you are likely to get a sense of problems that is out of proportion to the general population of trucks and owners out there. I see this all the time in other automotive forums I belong to.

Don't stress about it - just make sure you keep checking your carpets after you take delivery on the new truck! :-)
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    I agree, there seems to be a lot of problems because they are all concentrated in this small space. It isn't as large or an issue when you consider the number of trucks on the road. It's this way on all the forums that I belong to..Yota, Ford, VW. As stated we come here to discuss issues. However, even though I have had issues with my truck, I still love it and am happy with it and hope it lives up to the Taco reputation and gets 150K miles or more!
    gator - Sorry for the delay in responding, I kept forgetting to look at my truck..it's cold out there! :)

As for the bolts. I only have 4 on each side of mine. I have a doublecab shortbed. If you have a longbed or an access cab, you may have 5 bolts. Shoot me an email and I can send you a pic of it if you like.

As for the cover, I got the LiteRider because it is essentially the same as the regular Access cover. The regular one has a thumb dial tension adjuster and the LiteRider doesn't. But the dial on the LiteRider is just as easy to operate. I can shoot you a pic of the too if you want. The LiteRider says it has a smaller velcro edge, but I'm anal and measured it and it's the same. So for over $100 more all you are paying for is a different tensioner on the Access. Not worth it IMO. In fact the vinyl cover only says "Access Roll-up Cover" doesn't even say Literider (just the box and instructions do). Email is TacomaOffRoadGrl@msn. com if you need pics.
  • swbroswbro Member Posts: 9
    I have an auto trans. I'm pretty sure it has happened at all different times (hot & cold). As I said before, it may be nothing. But I've never driven a car in which I had to "concentrate" on keeping a firm hold on the pedal to keep it from moving...not even my '69 Toyota FJ40. My brakes squeal too by the way. I have 1300 miles on the truck.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I think I noticed the brake thing too, but only a couple of times. I chalked it up to having driven a standard up until now. Haven't noticed it lately though. Maybe it was a break-in thing.

1900 miles--Built 01/05

Was rainy here yesterday, drove for at least an hour in rain, and checked under the floor mat when I got home. Not a drop of water. Also checked this morning, and still nothing.

I also agree with the issue of only talking about problems. I'm sure this message board would have way more than 2000 messages (I'd say at least 500 of those were before the truck was even available), if there were widespread problems.
  • hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    Re: squealing brakes

I've noticed that when I back out of my garage in the morning I hear my brakes squealing a bit. Doesn't squeal moving forward. Don't think there's any build-up/rust on my rotors. Anyone else have this other than swbro and me?
  • wes240wes240 Member Posts: 33
    Might be in my head a bit, but my brakes seem to squeal for a few days after driving on salty roads here in Maryland. But, I haven't really tried to keep track of when or when they don't squeal.
  • gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    i agree. salt tends to cause more disc friction thus the squeal. i too noticed that when backing up this morning. i normally don't hear it.

i have v6 manual and no problems w/ the brakes at stop lights.
  • hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    Alls I can say is that I love my truck. Built in 01/05. (No idea how to tell where, but I live in San Diego, so viva la mexico!) Zero complaints about the truck. Zero problems. Everywhere I go I turn heads, and I am not an attractive person. I've got almost 2,000 miles on it now, and I still can't believe how nice it looks, how big it is, and how great it drives. It's like a high-end 5-passenger car with a 6-foot bed. I love my taco!
  • gymbogymbo Member Posts: 37
    Well since you guys mentioned it,I haven't noticed the problem while stopped;but I did seem to think the brake pedal went down further while braking on a couple of occasions.I kept telling myself it was my imagination,but now I wonder.I have v6 auto.
    At the risk of being banned from further discussion,I'm beginning to second guess my choice of the Tacoma over the Frontier.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    If your VIN number begins with a 5, it was built in Fremont, Cal. If it begins with a 3, it was made in Tijuana.
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    Wait, and it might get worse. Toyota as a whole is far from the usual Toyota standards. According to an interview with Toyota's U.S. C.O.O., Jim Press, in this month's Automobile magazine, Toyota currently ranks 28'th out of 39 brands in J.D. Powers initial CSI ratings. The focus at Toyota lately has been on building as many cars as possible and starting the Scion brand, which is also suffering from low CSI numbers. In other words, the focus these days is on quantity quantity quantity and quality has obviously taken a back seat. So hurry up and take your chances with a US-built Tacoma now before you wind up buying a Mexican-built Tacoma next year.
  • saabdriver9saabdriver9 Member Posts: 2
    Mexican-built Tacoma. A Toyota built in Tijuana. Thats sad.
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    Well after reading about all these problems here plus this:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=104731

I am now second guessing the purchase of an 05 taco.

Been researching the Frontier as well and the worst problem reported so far (that I've read) is a plastic intake manifold rattle that Nissan supposedly has already begun fixing on new productions.
    To "Saabdriver9"

What, are you some kind of patriot? You're a swedish car fan frequenting a japanese truck forum, and complaining about a car built in Mexico? I don't get it. Good luck finding an "American" truck that's not built in Mexico. Wait, maybe that's why they suck ...oh... now I get it... **lights go on**
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    Are you saying that the 2006 Tacomas are going to be built in Mexico? I am happy my truck was assembled by American workers. I cannot accept Toyota sending our jobs across the border. If that happens in the remaining years, the 2005 Tacoma is going to be a collectors item.

Does anyone have a link to this Toyota Tijuana info?
    jbone- Get the Tacoma, you will not regret it. All of these issues are relatively minor IMO. Besides that is what warranty is for. The Frontier has not been out long enough for us to hear about any problems it will have. And it will have problems, it is to be expected of any "redesign". The Titan suffered the same thing. I can't stress enough, get the Tacoma! :)
  • muffindustermuffinduster Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, This forum has been a great resource. Have not seen many Regular Cabbers posting though.. Well what a difference between my old 1992 Toy Regular and this here Taco. Only problem is this tick that started around 350 miles, I'm now at 750 miles. Sounds like my old truck did at 217,000. I hear it at idle, but mostly when moving. Does anyone else have this sound? Is it normal? No other problems to report, although the interior plastic is too cheap, you can scratch it by merely running a fingernail over it. the interior door handle area already has small scratches, car is less than a week old! BTW I get stopped by people quite a bit admiring my Black Beauty though.
    Call me crazy, but since when is Toyota an American company?

PS. My '05 Tacoma is flawless. No Problemos.
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    well if you look for the past ten years the amount of recalls regardless of make have gone up dramastically due to high output and quantity over quality so it will be hard to find a vehicle make that will have low recalls thats all they all care about is numbers, so waiting another year probably wont do much, either wil going to buy another make, thats my opinion, some might disagree, so you are better off just getting the car that appeals to you the most.
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    The factory in Mexico is already in operation--it opened last month. Tacomas will now be made in both countries. There's a sticker inside the driver's side door which will tell you where your truck was manufactured.
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    Hmmm, I was thinking 'I wouldn't want a car made in Mexico', but then I realized that the ones made in California are probably assembled by Mexicans anyway! Just a guess. Who knows, it could turn out to be even better.

I'm glad that my original post of 'Wait til 06' has sparked some debate. Someone posted a good comment stating that these forums tend to be for gripes - good point. Although I can't help linking the low production numbers/supply problem with the question 'Is Toyota keeping the first production year numbers low in order to work out the bugs and minimize possible consumer backlash?' It would make good business sense. And a few posts have indicated that Toyota isn't as quality oriented as they once were (although I never beleive anything from a JD Powers report).

I drove my 4Runner for 15 years and I still think buying another Toyota truck is the smartest thing to do, but I'll wait a bit (come to think of it, I have to wait anyway given the supply problems ;-)

Cheers all,

Ian C
    (A Canadian waiting for a Japanese truck from the States assembled by Mexicans. Go NAFTA!)
    I don't have a 4cyl but mine does tick a little. Dealer says it's normal as does many members on other forums. It was much less when I went to a better gas.
  • ironwingsironwings Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the heads up article on the parking brake. I would hope by the time my dbl cab is built on the 14th of March. That they will factor that lock nut problem in and take care of it. But who knows.
    Hate to pee on everyone's "American built truck" fetish, but who do you think is assembling those trucks in Fresno, California? If you want an American built truck from a 100% American car company, go back in time about 20 years...at least!
    I've got the tick too, as I mentioned earlier. Sounds like an exhaust leak or tapping valves. My dealer told me it's normal, so turn up the radio.

I'm sceptical though...
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    I test drove a 05 Frontier today while waiting on service for our Tacoma. (Had the clear protector put on the rear wheel-well cover--something Toyota forgot on the assembly line.)

For those who are shopping and comparing, here's what a Tacoma owner thinks of the Frontier:

I drove a 6 cylinder 4x4, extended cab.
    - The Frontier looks nice on the outside. Glad they got rid of those fake bolts on the wheel-well covers--I like how they eliminated the wheel-well covers altogether.
    - I don't think it looks as refined on the inside, but it is a TRUCK after all, so some folks won't mind. It does have a LOT of seams in the dashboard, and those are gonna start squeaking big time after a few miles. I also hated the dumb-looking dimples on the dash above the instrument cluster. The Xterra also has these and they look dumb on it too. The interior plastic seems cheap, but that could be said of a lot of cars today.
    - The heater works well, and air flow is not as noisy as on the Taco. The control knobs are big, (ugly) and easy to use. As one would expect, there is no "in between" on the ventilation controls--you can have heat from the floor, or a combo of floor/defrost but not in between.
    (Have you fellow Taco owners noticed that you can adjust the controls part-way between two settings? Neat!)
    - Outward visibility is not as good on the Frontier. I think the slope of the front windshield has something to do with this.
    - Steering was not as responsive, and had a heavier feel to it. I don't think I can comment on the ride, because I don't recall whether this Frontier had a special off-road package.
    - Engine: Nissan builds great six cly. engines. This one is smooth, quiet, and has lots of power.

This should be enough to give you an idea of what I think. Overall, I don't think you should be unhappy with either vehicle, as long as you compare, and find the one that meets your requirements. (AND you get one that does not have serious QC issues.)

I'm satisfied with our Taco purchase. It seems more fun to drive than the Frontier.
  • chiefman1chiefman1 Member Posts: 22
    Consumer Reports Annual Auto Study which is was out in print last week has Scion, Lexus and Toyota as the top three in building reliable vehicles for 2005. Nissan is way down the list and the 2004 Frontier was rated as a "do not buy". No final conclusion on the 2005 Frontier.

Our beloved 2005 Tacoma is not fully rated as it is new, but they still rate it above average as to reliability. They say the 2005 Tacoma is built on a 4Runner platform and they rate the 2005 4Runner as a recommended buy.
  • engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    My 05 Tacoma has no problems but I do notice something strange and I'm not sure this is normal.

On cold morning (here in Colorado) I heat the cab up and, then turn the fan control to "off"

But I still feel cold, outside air blowing in from the vent. (Not a lot, but enough to feel it...especially when it's cold outside.) Adjusting the temp control to hot/cold has no effect on the temp of this air coming in.

Is this normal or should I have my service department look for a hole somewhere in the vents?

Boo
    Yeah, I'd say mine is trouble free too. I don't have the leak, or any of the other major problems described here.

Air coming in from the vent is normal when the "fresh" or "outside" air switch is selected as such. Air is forced from the inlet into the cab, even though the fan is off. However, I would think that the temperature control would have an effect on this.

There is the possibility, that the Tacoma turns the heat part off, if the fan switch is in the off position. Some of you might think, how is this possible. Well, when I took out my heating controls to install my iPod2Car interface, you'll notice that the temperature control on this truck is now electronic, even though it looks like the classic cable dial, that is connected to a cable which goes to the valve that lets engine coolant into the heater coil, it's not. Notice how easy it is to turn. So, that being said, it may be programmed to close that valve if the fan switch is in the off position...
    Some people said way back when, when talking about shifting their manual transmissions, about the Tacoma's throttle being a "drive-by-wire" control, rather than the classic cable.

I'm wondering if anyone has physically verified this, as it still feels like a cable driven throttle control, but I have noticed something interesting.

If you have an automatic, it seems as though the throttle lets up slightly (not the actual petal, just the engine RPM) just before a shift, to help in making the shift smoother. I've tried to notice this on several occasions, and it seems to do this no matter what the acceleration.

Anyone else notice this? It's a pretty cool concept if that is what is happening.
  • will11will11 Member Posts: 7
    i have my tacoma deliver on feb 5, on feb 24 the first rain hit florida and the next morning the driver side floor board was wet.I took the vehicle to the dealer and for anyone else that is having problems have the dealers check the welding seam by the floor board it need tobe re-weld to fix the problem
  • jkjohnjkjohn Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a silver 4WD AccessCab last October in SD and noticed the loud popping noise in the rear passenger side when the temp was cold. The service tech verified the problem several weeks ago and when I took the truck in yesterday for the 1st oil change, they took the cab mount off, realigned (it was not centered on the hole), insulated and rebolted. The noise is gone. They said that Toyota is aware of the problem, this was the authorized fix, and a service bulletin is coming out.

I am getting 19-20 mpg on 91 octane and do not hear engine ticking anymore (after 2500 miles).

As far as the leaking goes, it has not rained here since I bought the truck, so will have to wait for that experience. No problem from carwashes.

Compared to the Rangers I have been driving the past 10 years, this truck is like a Lexus.
  • carfuncarfun Member Posts: 6
    Hello All,

I've read a bunch of posts on paint chipping for some colors. Does anyone know if the bright red has chipping problems.

Thanks,
    Chad
    Hey, Chad,

I've been watching the threads on paint chips problems on a number of boards and it seems to be, mostly, the blue paint.

I have the Silver and have yet to see one person with the Silver paint complaint of chipping problems.

Boo
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Which blue is having problems? speedway blue or indigo blue or both?
    I have a silver truck w/ paint chip problems
  • updownmanupdownman Member Posts: 1
    ha hobo have a new toy and have run into your brake problem notice that it depends on if I have my work boots on or gym shoes if you look up under dash when you aply brakes your foot hits on part of floor board and don't let you push brakes all the way.
    From what I understand Toyota has had a histoy of weak paint. You should have seen the chips on my old Tercel it was like playing connect the dots! haha
  • jnp1jnp1 Member Posts: 3
    I do have to say that these forums have great info to guide wary buyers and owners alike.

I own a 2005 tacoma double cab 4x4 with the off road and tow package in silver and love it...mostly.

I have all the usual issues (no leaks,yet) but do have the clunking (mostly when cold) and the ticking engine. I also have had an issue with the rear locking diff. not locking (fixed now), but I have one real annoyance...a clicking noise coming from the front drivers side door area... possibly the B-pillar. It makes the annoying sound only on little tiny imperfections in the road (pretty much constantly) but does not do it on big bumps. It sounds like a washer that is rattling between a bolt and a nut that is not tight. I took it to the dealer and they at first did not hear it, but with me driving and the tech listening they heard it (so he said). I ended taking off the door panel myself and driving and yes it was still there... The door panel was not the culprit... I siliconed all the door seals and checked all the screws, bolts and anything else that could be tightened... and it is still there...damn it!

Just curious to know if anyone else has a similar problem and what they did , if anything, to fix it.
    I have the Access cab and noticed a strange clunk noise when I hit bumps.

I listened for it, closer, and noticed it was only on the back, rear side.

I lifted up the jump seat and discovered I had put my plastic window-ice scraper in there so took it out and I haven't heard that noise since. (The container is just a piece of plastic and it's hollow so I guess can make quite a commotion when something is in it....I'm going to line mine with carpet.)

Boo
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    You can wait.
    The interest rate is 4.3% now.
    They are manufactured in Fremont.
    And the '06 will have an increase in cost.

But waiting isn't bad.

B
    One point swbro: there are far more computers involved in the assembly of an automobile now than there was 20 years ago. And these computers are built where? Besides if a person on an assembly line can operate the equipment, then the product should be sound. It wouldn't make any difference what nationality they are. I remember when Toyotas were considered junk. Now the Camry has outsold American cars.

Don't hold your breath. I think we are all in for a lesson.

B
    I read that one too chiefman1. Consumer Reports canned the '04 when it tried to roll over on them. They also canned the bed when they dented the flimsy sheet metal. And I think Toyota must have read all that. The new trucks have rack and pinion steering, outboard rear shocks, and a composite bed that won't dent. It should be interesting when they test it along with the American trucks.

B
    Boo,

Do you have your defroster on when this happens?

B
  • searayguysearayguy Member Posts: 14
    This is great information. I'm a Toyota factory employee in KY. I am displeased with the quality of my silver streak 4x4 DC LB Taco. Build date 9/04. Im at 8000 miles and my biggest complaint is the ticking engine. I know the VVT setup is some of it but the VVt in the Camry/Avalon isnt as noticable. This engine is imported from Japan so I figured the quality would be good. Guess we will know for sure in a couple years. I thought it was my problem, cause I run mine so hard, until I read these posts.
    I also had an electrical problem that caused the left turn signal to be inoperatable at various times. It finally quit and then other things wouldnt work:
    Shift lock engaged and I couldnt shift out of park unless I used the manual overide:
    A/C wouldnt work to defrost:
    Air flow was stuck to the floor position:
    Key reminder chime when keys in ingition and door open didnt work. I had it towed to the dealer and they kept it a week and found a short (bent pin) in a connector at fuse box. No electrical problems since.
    As far as water leaks go mine had been leak free. I know water leaks can happen easy if the sealing isnt done properly. I have worked in that area of production.
    I have squeaky wipers, even if the blade isnt touching the windshield. Any one else have this?
    I didnt like the reduced visibilty the rear head rests caused, so I too then to a local upholstry shop and had them cut down to 3 inches tall so the tops of them are about even with the rear of the bed when looking thru the rear view mirror.
    I luv my Tacoma even with some minor problems!
  • tjaybtjayb Member Posts: 2
    Am looking at purchasing a Tacoma 4x4 Doublecab l/b with SR5#8. Have been haggling with the dealer for 3 weeks. Now a Tundra 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off-road has become available to me.With the interest rate specials and the trade-in differences I can get the Tundra for about the same price. Just wanted to see what the thoughts were on this from other soon to be and current owners. Have owned my 1997 Tacoma since it was new and have not had one problem. Thanks for any feedback. Tomorrow is purchase day one way or the other!
  • xsactaxsacta Member Posts: 26
    searayguy,

If you check out pages 27 & 28 of this board you'll find my posts #528, 537, and 549 where I was bellyaching about the engine tick. I have the same truck. DBL Cab LB TRD V6 built 9/8/04.
    The ticking has mellowed at 4600 miles but it's still evident if I mash the pedal and listen for it. Oh well. I'm over it. The truck is awesome and I can't hear it with the radio or heater on so I don't care much now. I did notice how squeaky the wipers were the night I drove it home as it was raining. However, I never did post that complaint as I reckoned that anyone that might read it on this board might conclude that I was just a nut and disregard my other complaints! Anyway, you're not alone. You're right. They're squeaky.
    I have no other problems so far.
    Good luck.