Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dbthdbth Member Posts: 9
    I am interested in a new x3 with navigation.It appears that in my initial search that most x3 are shipped without the navigation.My preference is White with Terracotta leather, premium and cold weather and the navigation.Will I have to special order and if so , is the european delivery the way to go?

Also any feedback or experience with the ipod interface.

On pricing I have seen $399 lease with $2500 down advertised for 3.0 with premium and cold weather package(Manhattan BMW which is corporate owned).I currently driving a 98 528 (original owner)and have not shopped for a car in quite some time and any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I think BMW models with Nav are in short supply, no matter which model.. It just doesn't seem to be that popular of an option.. I have seen a white w/terracotta X3, but it was a stripped 2.5 model.. nothing but automatic and leather.

The advertised lease you saw is nationwide.. Without the downpayment, it is around $470/mo..

I would guess that you will have to order to get the specific combo you want... or, have your dealer search for white/terracotta, and then see if the option combination on those units is acceptable to you..

You can save money with euro delivery.. though it takes some time and effort..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    lease gurus, does this sound right?

X3 with navigation and other options, Sticker 42.8k, Inv 39.2k.

$2500 down , $625 aquisition, $450 security, $920 tax, $ 300 registration ( have to pay 3years upfront in NJ).

$425 per month for 12k annual miles, total up front $5225 , includes first lease payment?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Looks like a selling price of about $40,200, or about $1000 over invoice...

It is a good price, but why pay all that money upfront?

Just pay 1st payment, security deposit and registration upfront ($1292).

The payment will then be approx $542/mo.

Downpayments on leases are usually a bad idea.. You are putting all that money at risk, if the vehicle is totaled or stolen..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Good Question!

That was suggested by the BMW Corporate lease program.

I will see what the deal is with out the upfront money.

Thanks for working the numbers.
  • Options
    jliu34740jliu34740 Member Posts: 4
    BMWUSA.com has a new lease deal on 3.0i

$398 First month’s payment

$2,500 Down payment

$400 Security Deposit

$3,298 Cash due at signing

Monthly lease payments of $398.00 for 36 months based on MSRP of $36,995.00 (includes automatic), 10000 miles per year

By my calculation, this deal has to be around 61% residual and 0.00083 MF (2% interest rate). Is this correct? Can someone confirm?

My dealer is telling me this deal is based on 60% and .0018 MF, which I find hard to believe.
  • Options
    It is based on 60% residual and .00125 MF..

The variable you don't have, is the selling price of the car.. It assumes a discount from MSRP of around $1125, with the $625 acquisition fee added into the cap cost.

In other words, you can do a little better than the advertised deal, if you work hard at it.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jliu34740jliu34740 Member Posts: 4
    kyfdx,

What do you think the likelihood is of getting both steep discount AND this MF? I mean, is $1500 over invoice + 60% + .00125MF considered a good deal or a great deal?

thanks,
  • Options
    That is a good deal.. I don't think it would be that hard to achieve, assuming you have more than one dealer to pick from..

A great deal would be $500 over invoice..

The residual is set and can't be changed.. The money factor can be bumped up to .00165, but I would insist on base rates...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    New lease money factors just announced.. effective 2/16 through 3/31.

"BMW announces a lease rate reduction for 2005 X3 3.0 from .00125 to .00100 and X3 2.5 from .00210 to .00160"

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dijitaldijital Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx, just received quote on X3.

MSRP....39,915
    selling price.....38,085
    36 months 15K/year
    Money Factor was listed as 1.55
    residual 59%

They want $2500 down which includes: Cap reduction of $1517, cap red tax $121, lic $300, doc fees $45
    and 1st payment of $516 which includes tax. $479 without tax.

Sounds like a decent deal based on what I read here, but isn't the Cap reduction a method of increasing the selling price? What about the money factor of 1.55%. How does that convert to the way you display money factors. Seem high.

Thanks

Dan
  • Options
    Is that a 3.0 engine?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dijitaldijital Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, yes 3.0

Dan
  • Options
    1) Selling price looks okay

2) The base rate is .0010.... they are bumping that to .0014 and adding .00015 for waiver of the security deposit.. giving a rate of .00155 (not 1.55).

3) I'm wondering if residuals changed along with the money factor.. If not, that 59% residual is for 12K/year, not 15K/yr... Watch out for this..

4) The cap reduction isn't really a way to increase the selling price.. the numbers work out right... It is like a downpayment on a car.. a bigger downpayment makes the payment lower, decreasing price resistance from the customer..

5) This is how I structure it..
    MSRP $39,915
    Selling price $38,085
    CAP cost $38,710 (selling price + $625 acq.fee)
    Money factor .0010
    Residual 57% (59% if 12K/yr)
    3yr/45K
    Payment $505 + tax
    (12K/yr payment $484 + tax)
    $ZERO cap cost reduction
    Due at signing: 1stpymt ($545 incl.tax), security ($550), lic. ($300), doc fee ($45) Total $1340
    $550 security deposit returned at lease end.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    balapbalap Member Posts: 12
    Hi kyfdx
    We just got back from a BMW dealership in Seattle, WA. The BMW X3 3.0i has what we wanted, with Premium package, Metallic (black color)/Gray leather, cold weather package and nav + auto trans. It has privacy glass as well. The MSRP was 42170 (incl destination charge). The deal on lease we were quoted was as follows for 12k/yr for 36 months :

Sale price - $40,905 (could come down to $40,500)
    Downpayment - $2500 (incl 1st payment,but no non refundable deposit in that $2500).
    Monthly $502.55 (pre tax)
    They claim the residual would be 61%.

Does this deal look good ? Is there anything I am missing, we are still wondering why the $2500 downpayment, shouldnt it be first payment ++ ? Also in this case this vehicle is in CA and hence the dealer is asking us to pay $1000 for transport of that - is this normal.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Nope.. doesn't look too good..

Although, yours is the second post that quotes residual values 2% higher than the old program, so that is a good thing and seems likely.

With your MSRP and selling price (which is at least $800 too high), I get a payment of $506 + tax.. and that is with only 1st payment and refundable security deposit upfront.. About $1200. I rolled the acquisition fee into the CAP cost.

Take $800 off the selling price, and the payment drops to $483/mo.

I would never pay $1000 to obtain a car from another dealership.. That is $30/month.. Those lease deals are good until the end of March.. They should be able to obtain a similar car from the port by then, without charging you extra to trade with another dealer...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    balapbalap Member Posts: 12
    thanks a lot kyfdx. We will try and get this reworked !
  • Options
    curly2curly2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All:
    New to the forum. Just started looking at x-3's. What would be a decent price on an X-3 3.0 with cold package? Don't need much more. I am interested in buying not leasing. What should I expect to pay??
  • Options
    Just got better numbers with BMW lower lease rate.
    Either quote adds 920 tax,450 security,625 acquisition,300 registration.
    With $2500 down , $367 month,total upfront $5162.
    With zero down $425 month,total upfront $2720.
  • Options
    knotatworkknotatwork Member Posts: 1
    OK, thanks to kyfdx I think I am getting the math now..almost... you gave a money factor of .0010, which multiplied x 3600, gives an interest rate of 3.6%. On your example (59% residual for a 12K m/yr) gave a total of $15,871.10 x 3.6% = $571.36 yr/money factor x 3 years = $1714.10 total 3 year money cost, plus the origial 15,871.10 would equal $17,585 / 36 equals a montly payment of $488.48 plus tax. Where did I go wrong from the $484 that you figured?

And do these dealers really let you not do any cap cost reduction?
  • Options
    Well.. the conversion to an interest rate is times 2400.. But, you don't need to do that to figure the lease payment.. The money factor is designed to give you a monthly finance charge..

The formula is [(CAP cost + residual) X MF] = monthly finance charge.

Also, it turns out that the residuals did go up with the new lease program.. The 36mo/36K residual is 61%.

Any dealer will let you do a cap cost reduction.. but, it is not in your best interests to do so..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    janakdesai53janakdesai53 Member Posts: 3
    Msrp w/ options 38200(without Dest 695)

Price w/ options and profit 35565(without Dest 695)
    Destination 695
    Tire warantee 340
    Mats 100
    Reg, Doc MV etc 370(paid upfront)
    Bank fee 625(paid upfront)

Total Down 2800 (625 bank fee, 435 1st month, 370 Reg etc, 1370 Down)

15000 miles per year

.00115 money factor

Monthly lease = $435.00

Please reply

Janak
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sounds like your final monthly price is reasonable, though you didn't mention the length of your lease. Tire warranty for $340? Are they made of latex? You could replace several at that price, but nevermind. Enjoy your new car!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I come up with $411/mo pretax.. So, I'll assume the $435 is with tax? Also, assuming 36 months?

Your deal is pretty good.. They are using the base money factor and acq. fee, which is half the battle...

Things I would have done differently.. (though your deal is still good).

1) I wouldn't have bought the tire warranty (hope it covers wheels, too?).. I'd rather take my chances..

2) Make the security deposit and get the lower money factor (.0010).. you come out ahead overall

3) Don't make a downpayment or cap cost reduction.. Roll acq.fee into the cap cost.

So..if it was my deal.. (I'll leave the tire warranty in, to compare apples to apples)

My payment would be $460+tax (vs. your $411+tax) and my upfront would be just 1st payment, 370 Reg etc., $500 security deposit for total of $1360 approx.

These are small differences... You did very well, overall...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you for your reply. Lease is 36 months.
    Tire & wheel warantee covers any puncture in tire, curbside damage and other damages. Warantee is for lenght of the lease, and seems fair as compared to replacing a single tire today that would cost upwards of $100.

Thank you again, Janak
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes, Lease is 36 months.

Tire warantee(Including Wheels) covers any puncture in tire, curbside damage and other damages. Warantee is for lenght of the lease.

I am posting all these detail so that other buyers reading this forum can benefit like I did.

Thanks to all, Janak
  • Options
    mo5115mo5115 Member Posts: 3
    Working a lease deal for a buddy in Atlanta. Dealer is quoting (x3 3.0)

$39,845 MSRP
    $38,100 Sales Price
    825 acq fee (is 625 std?)
    .61 resid
    .0014 mf (can you get the .0010? or, is that spread of .0004 mandatory for the dealer?)
    0 cap cost
    1st pmnt and sec deposit down

502.86 per month

Is that a good deal for this car?
  • Options
    Adding in the acq.fee to the cap cost, I get a payment of $495+tax using those figures.. If the acq.fee is paid upfront, then the payment is $471+tax.

But, you are correct.. the base fee is $625 and the base MF is .0010.. The spread they are using is the MAXIMUM that they are allowed to mark it up...

The selling price looks good..

Using the base numbers..
    $446 + tax with acq.fee paid upfront
    $464 + tax with acq.fee rolled in..

that is with 1st pymt. and security deposit upfront..

I hear good things about Nalley BMW in that area.. If this dealer won't use base numbers, I'd try there..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mo5115mo5115 Member Posts: 3
    Worked the dealer on the price to make up for high mf

final deal

39845 msrp
    37405 sales price
    625 acq fee
    .61 resid
    .0013 mf
    0 cap cost
    1st pmt only no sec dep
    $456 before tax

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Wow... you are fast.. and evidently a good negotiator..

Good job!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Arug. I can't believe BMW dealers are so sleezy. I tried to find a 330xi, no dice. Dealer claimed he could get the monthly $$ I wanted on an X3. Fine by me. Worked the numbers and said he did it. He quoted an $850 acq fee. I told him that it should be $625. He said that it's $850 in my region (VA). He lying thru his teeth? Then he tacked on a $295 processing fee. I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I plan to call others, but is the acq fee $625 or $850 for VA?

Thanks.

While I have you, if I'm reading right the current lease #'s for X3 3.0 are .001 and 61% (3 yr 12k)

What is the residual % for 3/12k for a 2.5?
  • Options
    X3 2.5 is .0016 and 59%..

The acquisition fee is $625.. BMWFS permits them to mark it up to $825.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    lednameledname Member Posts: 96
    I'm trying to figure out what's going on with this deal...Dealer says the following:

X3 3.0 w/ Cold, Prem, Auto, Heated Steering, Xenon, Privacy glass.

MSRP 41320
    Price 39820
    36 Months, 15K Miles/yr
    $1500 including tax, tilte, etc, down.
    Quote is for $566 month including tax. I am in CT where tax is 6%

Dealer claims money factor of .00155 and residual of .59.

I thought BMW was offering .00100 money factor?

How's this deal sound...I'm thinking I could do better...especially if the MF is high!
  • Options
    Dealer is marking up the money factor by .0004 plus adding .00015 for waiving the security deposit...

Also, it looks like you could do at least $500-$1000 better on the selling price..

I'm going to guess that the $1500 upfront includes a marked up acquisition fee of $825, instead of $625.

I'd want this..
    MSRP $41,320
    Selling price $39,000
    Cap cost $39,625 (selling price + acq.fee)
    MF .0010
    Residual 59% (can't check this right now)
    Payment $488 + tax.. ($517 approx.)
    Due at signing = 1st payment, $550 security deposit, title, license..

So about $50/mo. less.. and you get $550 security deposit back at end of lease..

hope this helps,
    kyfdx

EDIT: Even if you add $1000 to this deal, it is only about $30/mo. more... still a pretty good savings.. plus the security deposit back..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    x3for3x3for3 Member Posts: 25
    I am waiting for a 2005 X3 3.0. Here's the deal:
    Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Power Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Premium Sound, Rear Airbags, Navigation.
    10k miles/yr, $1391 down(w/ deposit, 1st payment, DMV fees), 0.0125 factor, $900 Acq. fee.
    Monthly Payment is $577.64, price is about $39500.
    Is this a good deal?
    Your help is appreciated.
  • Options
    lednameledname Member Posts: 96
    Thanks for the great advice and quick response. Just wondering where you get all this great knowledge from...do you work at a dealer?
  • Options
    Are you in NY?

What is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Nope..

I've done a lot of shopping for BMWs over the years, and bought a couple of them.. I've also leased quite a few cars and have a good handle on the math and calculations involved.. and the pitfalls of making a mistake (done that a couple of times, too).

Cars (and BMWs especially) interest me, and I follow them closely on this forum and others.. All of the info I have is readily available to anyone else with the time and inclination to do the research.. But, since I keep up with it, it is easy for me to do..

It is easy to screw up a lease deal.. Most buyers are familiar with the normal things dealers do to increase their profit... but, leasing opens up a whole new bag of tricks..

I just like to lend my expertise.. Most of what I do is just simple math, and attention to detail..

I'd make a lousy car salesman... I could never shut up long enough to close the deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes, I am in Brooklyn, NY and this is from a Brooklyn dealer. The MSRP on this X3 is $43055.
    The car has been ordered in December and $1000 deposit was given. Is there a chance of getting the deposit back if I change my mind on the car or if there is any more negotiation?
    I am leasing a ML 500 now and returning it in June. Can I just drop it off at BMW when I pick up the X3 or it has to be at MB dealer?
    I really appreciate your quick respond from the last message.
  • Options
    Your deal doesn't look too bad, but I don't think you are getting the car for $39,500.. Not a lot over that, so still a decent deal, though..

BUT..

The lease deals on X3 3.0 got better on Feb.16th.. effective until March 31st..

The money factor dropped to .0010 and the residual actually increased to 60%

That should knock $40/mo. off your deal, if you use the current lease numbers.. If they won't do that, ask for your deposit back..

Call your leasing company on the Mercedes.. If the lease is through Mercedes credit, they will want it dropped off at a Mercedes dealer..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    robertvrobertv Member Posts: 33
    I heard about the .0010 money factor this weekend and wanted to ask how good this deal really was. Is this so good that I shouldn't expect a similar deal down the road? I ask this because I am at the tail end of a lease with a Freelander and was going over the options of an early termination if I decide on this current deal with the X3. Is the deal so good that I should consider the early termination? I currently have about 5 payments left on the Freelander but would still have to pay the $200 early termination fee and whatever else they hit me with.

My problem is that by terminating the lease and jumping right into another one I'm essentially making 2 car payments for what would have been the duration of the current lease. Did that make sense? But the savings on the current deal may be good enough to off set that cost. I just don't know. Anyone have any insight on this situation? I would appreciate any input.

THANKS!
  • Options
    I am experiencing the same as robertv by getting an X3 3.0 before returning an ML 500 which has 2 payments left. Dealer just called me today that the car has arrived. (oops!)
    From kyfdx, the dealer is giving me a better deal than what was mentioned. I don't know if it's what kyfdx has figured out.($40 of knock off). I will visit the dealer in a few days to find out.
    Say if the X3 3.0 is not $39500, how did they come up with a monthly payment of $577? Please help me on this.
    Thanks again kyfdx!
  • Options
    I doubt any deal is good enough to make up for double payments for five months...

No one can tell the future, but I'd wait... On top of double payments for five months, you'll have to lease another car that much sooner down the road...

I'd start some serious shopping about 2 months before my lease is up...

BTW, how do you like the Freelander.. In theory, I've always liked them..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The only way I can come up with your lease payment of $577, is to assume a selling price of about $41,000.... Using the old money factor of .00125 and the old residual of 60%, and adding 8.75% sales tax (I think that is close for NY), that is about what I get, rolling in the $900 acq.fee..

As I said before, using the new rate of .0010 and the new residual of 62% should take about $43/mo off including tax... dropping your payment to around $534/mo. including tax...

The dealer should have no problem doing this, as it will still give them the same profit on the deal...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx, you are the best in email responding!

Would you think $41,000 for a 2005 X3 3.0 is over priced with the configured options? So it is not if the money factor is .0010? Will I be too cruel to bargain for more on the price? And I was told that $900 acq.fee is not negotiable. Is it true?

The NY sales tax is 8.625%.

Thanks, kyfdx
  • Options
    Yeah.. if you get the current lease program, $2K off MSRP is fair...

And, $900 acq.fee is non-negotiable.. It goes to the bank.. all leases have them..

If you can get the 3yr/30K lease price to $535/mo.tax included, or below, you are doing okay... Anything lower than that will be gravy.. I'd say $500-$510 might be the absolute bottom.. Assuming your upfront is the same $13XX that you stated earlier..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx, thank you very much for all your information.

I will let you know the outcome.
  • Options
    motorcity3motorcity3 Member Posts: 72
    2004 X3, 2.5 litter, approx. 8,500 miles.

Aside from the usual options I am getting:
    -Automatic
    -Power Seats
    -Heated Seats
    -Moonroof
    -Leather interior

They are pricing it for 33,900. It is a good deal. What would be price to negotiate for?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    robertvrobertv Member Posts: 33
    kyfdx,

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not convinced though that I will find a deal like this later on. I was considering using this "double payment" scenario to help bargain the price down on the X3 but I guess in the end I just break even where most people would bargain anyway and come out ahead. I just can't stand missing an opportunity like this. Sure I can shop like mad when my current lease is up but if there are no deals....then there are no deals.

As for the Freelander, it's a Love/Hate relationship. The first year and a half with it I vowed to never drive another brand of vehicle again. I've taken that thing through some terrain that you would not believe and it handled it with no problems. It's built like a tank and it rides surprisingly well when pushed thru the corners. But in the end it's had way too many problems.

Sunroof stopped working...twice
    Feul Sensor went out.....twice (had to be towed)
    A/C had a smell of mildew when the car was brand new
    Brake Sensor had to be replaced
    Side Mirrors had to be replaced because they were de-laminating (minor)
    Recall on the A-Pillar covers (minor)
    Brakes AND Rotors had to be replaced at 16k miles ($$$)
    Coolant Reservoir cracked because the service dept left the fan disconnected after a routine service trip
    Frustratingly slow engine (3sec slower in the 0-60 compared to the X3)

Add in the $200 oil changes and Scheduled Maintenance trips I had to pay for and it makes for a not so pleasant experience. I will say this though, owning a Land Rover really is like being in an exclusive club, probably more so than BMW. They hold off-roading trips about 4 times a year that are a blast and the service dept is amazing at taking care of you. But in the end the X3 is worlds above the Freelander and I understand now why there aren't many comparisons between the two.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Freelander review..

I would at least put off the purchase as long as I could... The rates are good until the end of March...

Also, if you can leave it in the garage until your Freelander lease is up, you may be able to go with a lower mileage allowance.. that will save a little money..

If it was a convertible, I would be more worried.. But, with Spring on the way, I can't see lease deals really getting worse for the X3..

But, that isn't my money I'm gambling with..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator