Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• irishprincessirishprincess Member Posts: 11
    I originally was looking at a 325 or 330 xi, however with the new lease deals on the x3 I think I have changed my mind. I am looking for a x3 3.0 with premium, cold, metallic paint, leather, automatic, 15,000 miles. What kind of monthly payment should I be looking for? How much down? I live in PA. Thanks!
  • charlow3charlow3 Member Posts: 1
    How does this deal sound? Thanks in advance for your comments.
    2005 X3 2.5i metallic, premium package, automatic, heated seats, privacy package, dealer offers coupons bringing financing to 2.5% rate
    $35000 + tax and charges (license, transfers, etc)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    have an MSRP on these two vehicles?

I get really tired looking all of this up....lol

(plus, my employer would like me to do a modicum of work each day....)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx, we tend to forget those little things like a msrp, I just assumed by now you would have them all memorized! LOL The msrp on the 3.0 I am looking at is 40,020. Thanks!
    MSRP $40,020
    Selling price $38,000 (reasonable)
    Cap cost $38,625 (selling price + $625 acq.fee)
    MF .0010
    Residual 59%
    3yr/45K
    Payment $480 + tax..
    Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, license and title fees.. (under $1400 total).

You might be able to do even better.. If you negotiate a price of $37,500, the payment would drop by $15/mo..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• x3for3x3for3 Member Posts: 25
    Just talked to the dealer about the deal. He said $538/mo. including tax is the best that he could do for 3yr/30k lease with the same money up front.

I may be doing OK but not too happy about it. He said he would throw in all season floor mats and some key chains.

How do I talk the guy into giving me the deal like $525/mo tax included or something else? I know it sounds stupid but there's got to be a technique.

Thanks
    I don't know if there is a trick to it.. Some dealers just aren't aggressive on price..

My local dealer won't come close to a $1000 over invoice price, but the one 50 miles up the road will...

At least you are $40/mo. less than what you thought it would be, when you ordered it... And, presumably, it is the exact car you wanted...

Are you sure you can get by with 10K miles/yr.? If you think you need 12K, ask him for that same price on a 12K/yr lease... That knocks his profit down about $430, but that might be something he'll go for.. Of course, if you don't need the miles, this is of no value.. Don't turn down the floormats and key chains...

I don't think there is any magic technique.. I've left a lot of dealers with no car... You have a little disadvantage... he knows he has the car you want.. you ordered it..

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not too sure if 10k mi/yr is enough but going to try the 12k mi/yr with him. Haven't seen the ordered car but have seen similar cars on streets, I like them. Sold a 328i last year and missed it much! This will bring back memories.

Thanks again for quick response.
    10K to 12K difference is about $13/mo.. If in doubt, get the extra miles.. even if it raises your last quote by that much...

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• samcwillisamcwilli Member Posts: 2
    Can I do better on a X3 3.0??

Mystic Blue/beige leather
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Birch Grain Wood (the lighter wood, but with beige interior, it looks great)
    Heated Front Seats
    Satellite Radio Prep
    Privacy Glass
    -------------------------------------------------
    40,345 MSRP

$419.31/mo with only your $1094.40 sales tax due on delivery (less the $500 deposit, of course).
    Is it a 36 month lease? I'll assume 10K/yr miles?

If so, grab it... the hard work is over..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• samcwillisamcwilli Member Posts: 2
    Its 36 months with 12K per year.
    In that case.. you should be driving it right now...lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I just returned from the dealer and this is what we were quoted:
    x3 3.0 lease 15, 000 miles
    premium package
    heated sand leather seats
    heated steering wheel
    privacy glass
    all season rubber mats
    MSRP 40,270
    Our Price 38,000
    516.66 month including the 10% leasing tax(PA)
    1,800 down this includes acq. fee and security deposit and 1st month payment
    How does this deal sound?
  • holdsg1holdsg1 Member Posts: 11
    I understand the current lease deals on X3's expire at the end of March. Does anyone have some history on whether BMW has offered lease deals similar to this in the past? Any chance they could extend past March end (only if they don't sell enough cars in March, right?).
    Anyone of the board regulars have any experiencing buying a BMW through Carsdirect.com?
    They are quoting about $2,000 below MSRP for an X3 3.0, wonder if it's too good to be true.
    It looks like they are padding the money factor..

If I use the .0010 base money factor I get $503/mo.. Using .0012, I get your exact payment to the penny...

So they are padding the money factor, or they are adding about $430 into your cap cost.. Maybe a document fee or some kind of bogus prep charge?

This is a good deal, except for this one point.. which is costing you $13/mo...

I'm guessing if you call them on it, they will drop the payment.. Or, it is possible they have some explanation (such as licensing fees, etc..) for why your cap cost is higher..

You are very close to a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It is hard to tell the future.. Sometimes, the incentives yo-yo back and forth between lease and buy..

For example, they had killer lease deals on 3-series in December... Starting in January, they changed the incentives to dealer cash.. This was great if you were financing, but if you were leasing, the payment went up about $50/mo, even taking the dealer incentives into account..

That said, I had my car in for service Friday, and my dealer had new X3s out the wazoo.. I'd say 30-40 of them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Read message #580..

It sure doesn't look too good to be true...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,

I am trying to understand lease math, so I plugged these numbers into the lease calc that Edmunds has and I get a payment of $511, not $480.

Then I double-checked the calculation manually. As I calculate it, using a cap cost of $38,625 less the residual value of $22,420, you get an amount $16,205, which when amortized over 36 months you get $450. Add to that the monthly finance charge of $61 (cap cost + residual)*MF.
    That's how I also get $511.

Anything I am doing wrong here?
    Edmunds lease calculator is terrible.. I was using a better one, but found some anomalies, once the MSRP went over $40K.. Now, I just use a spreadsheet that my 11-year-old helped me set up...lol.

Your formula is exactly correct.. Assuming you calculated the residual correctly (MSRP X residual percentage).

Ignore Edmunds lease calculator.. If you use it enough, you'll notice that it adds in charges that you didn't enter, etc..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• drmydrmy Member Posts: 8
    Hi, Hoping you can help. We are looking at the x3 3.0 in Maryland. The MSRP is 40,500 with the options we want. We want to lease for 3yr/45K. Question #1 what do you think the best deal is given those numbers? we would like to put down $2000. (hoping for payment around $500) #2 we were told the money factor sell rate is .00155- is that negotiable?

Thanks in advance!
    Look at msgs #580 and #583.. That is for an almost identically priced unit..

And.. you are off to a bad start.. your dealer is already lying to you.. the "buy" rate is .0010.. This could also be the "sell" rate if the dealer so chooses..

A rate of .00155 would be with the maximum possible markup and with the security deposit waived..

Be sure to learn the difference between a "downpayment" and "due at signing". I recommend never making a downpayment..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sounds like you have a budding finance nerd (your 11-yr old) in the family. Good luck with that!

I agree on the Edmunds calc., don't say it too loudly though, there be spies among us.

Thanks again
  • robertvrobertv Member Posts: 33
    kyfdx,

I don't know how you put up with all these questions but here goes another one for me. You may remember me as the guy with the current Freelander lease trynig to figure out if the current promo is good enough to terminate the lease early. Anyway...here are some rough numbers I got from the dealer.

MF .00100 - 62% Residual for 10k/yr

X3 3.0 Automantic, Premium package, heated seats, & Metallic paint.

MSRP $ 39,770
    Cap Reduction (cash down) $2,500 *Can I ask why you don't agree with down payments?*
    Initial payment (includes cap reduction, 1st. payment & security deposit) ...... $3,602.

Payment before taxes $ 406.94
    Payment including taxes (7.4%) $437.05

$437 sounds about right for what I expected to pay for an X3 but I wouldn't mind it a little lower. What are your thoughts on 39mo leases?
    1) To get to your payment I have to use a cap cost of $37,080.

2) To get to that cap cost, I have to assume a selling price of $38,955

$38,955 - $2500 down + $625 acq.fee = $37,080.

That is only $825 off of MSRP for the selling price..

So, while they are using the base money factor, which is good.. they aren't giving you much of a discount off the MSRP.. I think you should get at least $1000 more off.. IOW, you should get this same payment with only $1500 down, and $2602 due at signing..

Reasoning on "no downpayment" to follow..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nappie1nappie1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello!
    I have been working with a dealer on getting a new X3 3.0. I had been conversing over email about the pricing and we came to an agreement. When the dealer located one to our specs, we went in and worked out the numbers. When I say we I mean the dealer. He had gone in to the "office" and came out with a sheet that had some numbers worked out on it. Upon inspection the final monthly payment looked around what we had been working towards. ( I know, mistake number one, monthly payment isnt the goal, cap cost is!)
    Well we signed a sheet saying the price looked good and we put down a deposit.
    Problem is, when I sit down and work the numbers we agreed upon, the monthly payments don't match up. I don't know where they are adding stuff in but there is a small (read $19) difference.
    I want to know if it is too late to call them on it. I have signed something (no legal information on it looking the sheet over) and put down a deposit. If I've made a mistake, I'll eat the difference. We have to have that car! :)
    But I'd like to at least know if I have a chance working it out a little bit, maybe add on an alarm or something...make that $19 up in the car.
    Anyone?
    Ask them to break down the cap cost for you.. Maybe they've added in a document fee or something you didn't agree to...

Or, maybe they added the acquisition fee into the cap cost..

You can't ask for something, until you've ascertained if they took something away..

And.. the goal IS the monthly payment.. After all, that is what you are paying.. Knowing what constitutes a good deal requires that you know what affects that payment.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I always recommend against making a downpayment (aka: cap cost reduction) on a lease..

1) It doesn't appreciably change the amount you pay for the lease overall.... All it does is mask the monthly cost of the vehicle.. Advertised leases usually involve a downpayment, because that makes the car seem cheaper.

2) Any money you pay upfront is at risk in a lease.. If the car is totaled or stolen early in the lease, any downpayment you made will likely disappear.. If you put $2500 down, then after three months the car is stolen, you've likely spent 1300/mo to lease that car for three months..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I see your point now. I can see how that makes sense but it is a big "If" scenario. Granted if it doesn happen it's a big loss but I would think the chances are low of something like that happenning *great now I just jixed myself*. What about taxes? If the downayment reduces the payment that should, in turn, reduce the amount of taxes paid per month also. Am I correct with that? Maybe the math still works more in your favor but I guess I'm more comfortable with a lower monthly payment. Unless the math is REALLY in your favor without the down paymen and/or accident early on.

What are your thoughts on a 39mo lease?
    1) It may be a big IF.. But, if it happens, it is a big loss.. and it isn't like it costs you much to put ZERO down... And.. I think the risk is probably higher than you think..

2) You will pay taxes on your downpayment, in addition to taxes on the payment, so no savings there...

3) You may be "comfortable" with the lower payment.. but, that is exactly my point.. Your payment isn't really lower... you are paying part of it upfront... You can always put your downpayment in a money market account and draw out 1/36th of it to defray the payment each month...

4) 39 month leases are fine, if your are under warranty.. as long as there is a savings over 36 month... BMW occasionally runs a special on 39 month leases, but not that often, and isn't doing that now, I don't think...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,
    You were right about returning car at lease end. Remember the ML500 I have mentioned, I can only return it to a MB dealer.

Here is my question: Should I wait for MB to come inspect my truck before returning it or just bring it in to a MB dealer myself. What are the advantages and disadvantages of all these?

The X3 3.0 I have ordered is already at the BMW dealer.

Thanks
    Always have the pre-turn-in inspection done..

1) The third-party inspectors they use are usually very liberal about dings, tire wear, etc...

2) If they find any problems, you have the option of getting them fixed on your own, probably much cheaper, than if they charge you for them..

3) If you just turn the car in, you can get a bill many weeks later for damages and excessive wear and tear.. and, you have no ability to dispute the charges, because the vehicle is already gone. And, anything can happen to the vehicle, once it is on the dealer's lot.. without that inspection, you have no control...

My pre-turn-in inspections have always gone very well...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nappie1nappie1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks kyfdx!

I will ask what the cap cost is in their numbers and compare that with the cap cost I am using in my calculations. I will update here in the forum when I find out.
    Thank you for your quick response. These forums along with the bimmerfest forums where I also see you helping people out have been invaluable to me during my research. Your effort is greatly appreciated.
    I will take your advise to wait for inspection. But I have heard that if I am not getting another MB they will charge me for even small dents and scratches. Is it true?

From your experience, how long does this take(from inspection to returning the car)? I really want to pick up that X3. On the other hand, do you think BMW is just as eager to sell me that car? Is it OK to let them wait?

Thank you very much for your knowlege.
    The inspector is not going to know what your future plans are.. Most give you a printout on the spot, letting you know of any deficiencies..

I'm sure your BMW dealer is going to insist on you taking delivery this month.. I doubt they will hold the deal any longer than that..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I heard from the dealer today and was told that if you get pre-approved with financing they can hold the rates up to 60 days. The reason I asked him if this was possible or not was because I was wondering what would happen if the model and specs I want have to be ordered and it takes a while to get in. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to receive a special order? Also, does it cost more to order it? I forgot to ask the dealer.

The dealer also reminded me that with BMW you don't have to pay for scheduled maintence and brakes. I was worried about the monthly payment getting to high for my comfort but I suppose this really is something that I have to consider about the BMW. I paid soooo much money with the Freelander on maintenance an brakes that its nice to know I won't have to worry about that.......or will I? Is there a "Gotcha" in that whole Free Maintenance deal?
    If you lock in the rate during the month.. say, today.... It is locked until the end of MAY.. that should be plenty of time...

No gotchas on the free maintenance... It is as advertised...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• drmydrmy Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, we are planning to go back to the dealer and begin the negotiations...I did look back at the previous messages, thanks again!
  • kp40mkp40m Member Posts: 19
    How's this lease deal on an X3 3.0? We live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. This is the dealer's first offer after a test drive so we haven't started the real negotiations yet.

MSRP $41,320
    Sale Price $40,028
    36 months, 12,000 miles a year
    cap cost $40,028
    residual 61%
    residual value $25,205
    money factor 0.00100

monthly payment ($519.91):
    lease charge $65.23
    monthly depreciation $411.74
    PA lease tax (9%) $42.93

due at delivery ($1871.16):
    1st month $519.91
    security $550
    bank fee $625
    tax on bank fee $56.25
    tags $120
    1) I'd say the sale price looks about $700-$1000 too high.. If you took $700 of the sale price, it would drop the payment about $22/mo incl. tax.

2) Very positive things here.. base MF rate, base acq.fee, no goofy dealer fees... You are 95% of the way home..

Try asking them for another $1000 off.. If that is too much, ask them to reduce the price by $625 and roll the acquisition fee into the cap cost..

That would keep the payment the same, but reduce your upfront by $681.25 ($625 + $56.25)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

MSRP is $43055,
    MF .001
    62% residual
    36 month, 10,000ml/yr
    $1391 due at signing
    tax in NY 8.625%
    Monthly payment is $538
    Question: Is $40955 the right selling price?

Picking up car in a few hours.
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    The monthly payment seems high to me, but I am not an expert and my math could be off. Hopefully kyfdx will have a chance to drop by before you seal the deal.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• argentoargento Member Posts: 5
    The difference between MSRP and invoice price (the amount the dealer paid for the car) is usually around 12%. Therefore, in your case, the dealer paid ~$37,800 and, hence, is making a profit of, at least, $3,000. Depending on his needs/quotas/incentives, etc. he may be willing to reduce this number further.
    I'll assume 1st pymt and security deposit due at lease signing.. with the $900 (NY is higher) acq.fee added to the $40,955 price.. Results in CAP cost of $41,855.

I get a payment of $490 + tax.. or $532/mo. tax included...

If they are marking up the acq.fee to $1100, then I get $538/mo.. tax included..

So, I guess my numbers show them charging you $200 too much... Not too bad for a $43K car, I guess...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

No offense... but, that is a bad guess..

The invoice on an X3 with an MSRP of $43,055 is about $39,400...

Making his deal about $1500 over invoice..

I'm not saying he wouldn't take less, but if they are using the base lease numbers, you have a pretty good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• argentoargento Member Posts: 5
    No offense taken.
    Regards

Argento
    Thanks very much for all your help.

Good deal or bad, it's done as mentioned before. But that was an experience. Have never negotiated on a price of a car like this before. Learned a lot.

Dealer told me they made profit of less than $2000, who the hell knows? Although they threw in front and rear all weather mats. What's the least they should have profit?

By the way, the car is awesome!

Thanks again.
    I think that is probably accurate.. A total profit of around $1600 maybe...

I don't know what the least is... At that dealer, that may be the least they will accept..

Overall, regardless of their profit, it looks like a pretty good lease deal.. Not a bad price for a $43K car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Actually it was your help that I could get a $40 deducted from the monthly payment. They were surprised that I even knew about it. They actually told me that they didn't usually pass it to a settled deal.

Thanks.