Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hybrids in the News

Comments

• Isn't anyone wondering what "The Employees" get now that everyone else gets THEIR DEAL. If I were an employee I know I'd be a bit resentfull of "My Deal" being everyone's deal. Seems to me G.M., Chrysler, and Ford are all trying to stick their thumbs in the dikes of stagnant sales. Also, is the new deal really the same as what the employees get. I had a friend who said it was NOT the same but in name only. Hmmmmm! Next thing we'll be seeing is free vacations and lottery tickets and finally the kitchen sink...make that a scooter to save on gas since the vehicle will probaby be a thirsty V6 or V8.
    Railroadjames
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I am quite certain the Chairman doesn't even have to pay for his car, but they do use that in their advertising. Whatever you think of it, it is selling lots of cars for them. Why? Most people like the idea of not having to haggle. I bet they will adopt this policy full time! Certainly cheapens their cars and makes the used cars lose their value as well.
  • Well, if the dealers are selling at what the "Big 3" dictate ya gotta wonder what kind of profit margins they are pulling down. Then there's one more point....When the profit thins the dealer has got to thin the offering on the trade-in. There in lies the edge to the dealer. They give you less and you know what that means. You still end up paying more. It's not unusual for a dealer to give you only about 60% of wholesale on a trade-in. Less if it's a gas hog.
    railroadjames

P.S. I always advocate selling your own car after cleaning it up and spending a few bucks on ads. You come out several hundred dollars ahead, if not thousands. It's worth the effort. I know. I've done it.
  • molokaimolokai Posts: 313
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    Honda also developed a more powerful, fuel-efficient hybrid system that would enable its gasoline-electric vehicles to run solely on the electric motor at low cruising speeds for the first time, like Toyota Motor's popular Prius sedan.

If the new Civic has the looks to go with the new drive train it could be a big winner for Honda.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Well, if the dealers are selling at what the "Big 3" dictate ya gotta wonder what kind of profit margins they are pulling down.

Actually, there was an interview recently with the CEO of one of the big dealer corps (Autonation maybe?) and he stated that their domestic dealers were just as profitable as their import dealers. Basically, it's the manfacturers taking the hit because they provide the incentives.

Now, with the GM employee pricing scheme, the dealers are taking a hit profit-wise. Nobody is complaining now because of the massive sales volume increase, but I bet they will if GM tries to extend it too long.
  • Like I said....Dealers have only one control.....The Trade-In. If there is one. The car buyer should understand this, hopefully.
    Am I the only one who sees this new scheme or ploy as a feebled attempt of a band-aid solution to a problem that's not going to go away very soon or not at all.
    Seems amazing that the auto industry is so dependent on the rise & fall of fuel prices. Maybe the word is fragile. Scary ain't it?
    Railroadjames
  • carsareuscarsareus Posts: 10
    All the hybrids are going to sell out, but each manufacturer is only making a small amount compared to their gas counterpart. Look at this article to see how much gas could be saved if all lexus/ toyota gas counterparts were made into hybrids.

http://www.carlist.com/autonews/2005_hybrids.html
    Am I the only one who sees this new scheme or ploy as a feebled attempt of a band-aid solution to a problem that's not going to go away very soon or not at all.

I agree if GM continues the program indefinitely or just reverts to massive incentives. However, if this is a segway into bringing down the MSRP's of their upcoming 2006 models to reality levels, then it could end up being a good move.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    These companies ROCK !!!:

"The green-car movement has caught on elsewhere, too. Hyperion, a software company based in Santa Clara, Calif., committed $1 million a year toward the purchases of hybrids, offering employees $5,000 each.

Since the Drive Clean to Drive Change program began in November, about 50 employees have taken advantage of it, said Phyllis Davidson, executive communications director, who was one of the first employees to participate.

"It's purely to help keep the worse kinds of cars off the road," said Davidson, reporting the company's CEO also has traded for a hybrid.

Outdoor-apparel firm Timberland in New Hampshire is offering $3,000 toward hybrid purchases to any of its 6,000 employees who have worked at the company two years or more. Four employees have taken advantage of the program, which was introduced at the end of 2004."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002357486_ecocars05.html
    Good comparo between a modern diesel and the Prius:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3334524a2021,00.html
    I hope they bring the A Class here to the states. Sounds like a great car.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 431
    Ford launches Employee Discount, those who are planning to buy an Escape-Hybrid, please ask for big discount.

Honda has given specs for Civic-Hybrid 2006, seems its 5% more efficient, which means it should be giving 52 MPG.
    I hope it comes in hatchback version also. Prius has 16 cubic feet of space (same as in Camry, Accord, Altima).

If its dubbed as mid-size sedan equivalent, then it will give a good competition to Prius. Will be better if it comes in LX version at 18K.

There is other news about a Chinese company planning to launch a hybrid. If the Japanese dont sell at an economic rate, the Chinese will grab the market.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 431
    Is there any news about the number of hybrid vehicles sold worldwide.
    I believe the Mustang GT and Hybrid Escape are excluded in the promotion.

Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday its "Ford Family Plan" will let all customers buy most of its 2005 models at the employee rate beginning Wednesday. The promotion excludes the Ford Mustang, GT and the Escape hybrid. It also will run through Aug. 1.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/auto_incentives;_ylt=An0ZNeyOrenl57juseqPeekDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBi- MW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,251
    Majority of consumers are hesitant about buying complex hybrids from Toyota and Honda, how many do you think will line up to buy a hybrid version of a Chery Alado(Chinese car)?.
    I don't think consumers are wary of the complexity as evidenced by the long waiting lists. Let's face it, most cars today are highly, highly complex machines. Would I by a Chinese hybrid? If it were cheap enough and if there was an extensive dealer network to stand behind it. Will it happen? I doubt it.
    New Civic Hybrid to gain about 3 MPG over current version:

"Still, Boyd said, the 2006 Civic Hybrid will achieve a 3 mpg gain vs. the 2005 model. The 2005 Civic Hybrid gets 47 to 48 mpg in city driving and 47 to 48 mpg on the highway when equipped with an automatic transmission, according to the government's www. fueleconomy.gov Web site.

That means the 2006 version ``will be 50 or better for both city and highway,'' Boyd said.

``In the real world, we'll be very competitive'' with Prius, he said."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/12064294.htm
    How can such a big magazine as Business Week make such a boo-boo?

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2005/tc2005077_1015_tc024.htm?campaign_i- d=topStories_ssi_5

"Q: How much more do hybrids cost?
    A: J.D. Power says so far this year, the hybrid version of the Toyota Camry has been selling for $23,510, vs. $20,575 for a conventional Camry. The hybrid Honda Civic has been going for $20,080, $4,270 more than a conventional Civic. And the hybrid Honda Accord for $30,786 -- $9,138 more than a conventional Accord. Ford's hybrid Ford Escape costs $30,178, $8,530 more than a conventional model. Of course, hybrid prices are likely to come down as sales rise and competition heats up. "
    I've even seen car rags make similar mistakes. Makes you really wonder, doesn't it?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    Was it Business Week's boo-boo, or JD Power's boo-boo?

There were also some less-obvious errors (of reasoning) in the article. Hybrid models of the Accord and Escape were compared to (based on price) 4-cylinder variants that, at least in the case of the Accord, have nowhere near the equipment of the hybrid car.
    Not only that, but where the heck did they get those exact figures - $23,510 for a "hybrid Camry"? Bizarre.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    I suppose we should be glad they didn't mention the "non hybrid Prius", at who-knows-what price... :blush:
  • carsareuscarsareus Posts: 10
    Lexus has a good thing going for them in their new ad campaign talking about the RX 400h. The idea of the performance hybrid is nothing short of genius. this is the perfect way to attract the person who would get a hybrid, but she does not want to get caught in a snowy parking space in the middle of January. If only American companies could take advantage of this and make their new luxury muscle cars (300, CTS, ...) a little more hybrid. On top of the Emplyee Discount For Everyone a new move towards greener preformance cars could permanerntly put them back on the map. For the latest hybrid new check out

link title
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    "If only American companies could take advantage of this and make their new luxury muscle cars (300, CTS, ...) a little more hybrid."

A little more hybrid ... is that like a little more pregnant?

So, they should add 5-6K to the already high price of the vehicle, plus introduce new technology to a solid selling platform (currently based on known and established technology). Sounds like suicide for GM and DC to me.

Then again, how many people care if a car is 56K instead of 50K, if they can afford h 1/2 of a hundred grand?

However, the enviros must be turning over in their graves at the use of hybrid technology to increase power rather than reduce environmental pollution... :cry:

Uh, OK, they are not dead, maybe they are having heart attacks over the issue... :sick:
  • stevewastevewa Posts: 203
    The thing is, you can give the vehicle more power, increase efficiency AND reduce emissions. The Lexus does exactly that.

If we could reduce the fuel consumption of every SUV on the road by only 5 or 10 percent it'd make a huge difference in overall consumption.
    The thing is, you can give the vehicle more power, increase efficiency AND reduce emissions. The Lexus does exactly that.

The question is, does the RX400h reduce overall emissions? From manufacturing to EOL. The Prius accomplishes reduction in some areas and increases in other's such as PM (particulate matter) over the life cycle of the vehicle. The much bigger RX400h may not have a positive overall reduction in pollution, was the point being made. Do you have any Life Cycle Analysis to indicate otherwise. From the only study I have found by Toyota, it would lead me to believe the RX hybrid may have a negative impact on OUR environment.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    According to the chart, the Prius has lower overall airborne lifetime emissions--roughly 15% lower--when you add up all the categories for gas cars vs. Prius. So this chart doesn't support the hypothesis that the RX may have a negative impact on our environment, and in fact it supports the opposite hypothesis.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Adding to the last post. The RX, HH, and Prius are all classified as PZEV or Partial Zero Emissions Vehicles. This indicates that they have the emissions level of SULEV but with 10years or 150,000 miles of warranty protection for all emissions related components. SULEV have 1/100 the emissions of ULEV and 1/1000 of the emissions of the LEV that is the norm for many vehicles now, and certainly the norm for almost any Truck or SUV on the road.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.