Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued V

Comments

• Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The differential has a drain plug, you use a 3/8 " ratchet / same as the fill hole. I think GM should have attached a magnet to the drain plug, my previous truck had this and it was nice to see if any metal fragments were on the magnet when you change the fluid.
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Actually the engineers were more worried with the cab of a 4 door truck flexing too much.

THis would cause the doors to misalign and cause latching problems when the doors were closed. This also brought in the concern with the doors popping open in minor collisions or in off road useage.

But then GM did little about gas tanks catching fire in the 1973 and up trucks with gas tanks on the outside of the frames.

just my $.05
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..look at all the angry little campers...
    Knew I'd stir some poo with that..

Don't think I'll have any problem selling a 3 door 2500 in 2 years....as they are 5% of the sales and are almost impossible to get for 99/00.

I realize a 4 door means a lot to some poeple...but as I've mentioned before...i just don't get how you can base a decision on such a stupid thing as doors.

So many other more important things to consider..

Good luck

- Tim
  • Options
    mannwimannwi Member Posts: 29
    Someone asked to be informed when the ZX3 suspension was building. Mine was built this week per a call to customer service today. 1500LS,ext cab,5.3,locker,tow pack,ZX3,reclining power buckets,3.73
    It will be a week or more for final inspection and shipping. Need to get the cap ordered.
    I'm sure we will like it.....we ordered November 8, so we feel pretty lucky.

PS I think the 3door will be a more solid truck, but don't think anyone will really regret waiting for the 4 door if they value that additional door.
  • Options
    leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    brother tim
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    This is a phantom option haha everyone talks about it but no ones seen it. I read in the GMC brochure its not being built till 01/2000 i would imagine chevy is the same.
    4 DOORS: ALL HYPE itll be nice but i could live with 3.
    DONT BUY FORD: My story from work today we were loading drywall for this guy 2 sheets 1/2 X 4 X 8 we slid it in hit his wheel well and it made a loud noise and dented it first time in 2 yrs i have ever seen this with a truck it was a 99 ford F-150 amazing cheap sheet metal.
    SCOTT: 3.73 is right

Damn i got busy today and couldnt keep up with all these posts. But i gotta work so i can buy a truck.

Ryan
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    The Dodge two-door trucks did not take a huge hit when the 4-doors were released. Neither did the Ford. Why would Chevy?

Richard
  • Options
    obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    My 4th pick, dodge; 3rd ford; 2nd gmc 3door;
    and the truck I want 4X4 excab 4DOOR GMC. I plan
    on keeping this truck for 10 yrs, its not what you
    need, its about what you want. I hunt, ski (water
    & snow) motorcycle, mountain bike and the last
    thing I want to do is to leave stuff in the bed,
    or haul it back and fort from the front seat and
    bed/excab, like i have done for the past 10 years.
    (I have a 90 excab Ranger)
  • Options
    3rd door on the drivers...but haven't been too upset.

When a 4 door is out and solid...I will probably buy one for the next truck....but so many people here are dying to have a Silverado and are whining about no 4 door. I said last summer that don't expect it to be Oct/Nov...try more like Feb/march...don't be surprised if it's later!
    I also hear that 2500's will be may?....with 2001's coming out in about July/Aug....that makes about 2-3 months of the 2000 model year for 2500's that a 4 door was available.
    I see no problem selling mine....especially a 2500.

hell...around here 98 and older 3 doors sell like hot cakes also....even 2 door Dodge..(as mentioned)

When they finally get it out...there WILL be problems...in weak cab..noise...fit..etc..

Don't be fooled thinking this delay will fix it.

You would be soooo much better taking a 3 door and letting it actually be out for a year or so...then get a 4 door.

If you get one of the first 4 doors...and I get one in 2002....I assure you mine will be much more solid.

To each his own....but like I said..No offense if you are waiting...but I just don't understand the concept.

To me...cab strength and quiet will be more important than having the first try truck.

Oh well

Good luck

- Tim
  • Options
    alwysl8alwysl8 Member Posts: 59
    Someone had mentioned that the new 4 door had been hammered by the press. I read a lot of auto magazines and have not found any articles covering the 4 door Silverado. Where can I review these articles and who, in particular wrote them. I imagine that I will probably be able to see my new truck at the Detroit Auto Show before I ever see it in my driveway.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I actually doubt that an actual production 4-door Silverado will have problems. Chevy engineers wanted three instead of four for cab strength and cabin quietness, but it's not like they haven't been working on it since the design was originally conceived.

Will it be as strong and as quiet as the 3-door? Probably not, but probably not noticable to the typical person. Will it be as quiet and solid as the Ford, Dodge or fake truck? Probably at least. My guess is that it will weigh a bit more for structural reinforcement of the roof and frame. Chevy knows how to biuld solid convertibles ... a 4-door truck should be a piece of cake.

Magazine reviews and automotive press? I don't trust most of them. My atuo industry friends tell me the stories about major politics in car reviews. And CU, the one so many people rely on, is perhaps the worst at being unbiased.

Richard
  • Options
    m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    It makes me wonder what these chevy engineers are really doing at work. Dodge and Ford Have had the 4th door out for a while, but chevy still has problems with a 4 door. I remember hearing about this problem with the old C/K body style. I love my 3 door, but chevy is losing a lot of business because of their not getting things done.
  • Options
    mannwimannwi Member Posts: 29
    Ryan,

The ZX3 is a phormer phantom option. That was the reason for my post about my ZX3 being built this week. I wanted the readers to know that the ZX3 was(underlined) a phantom option, but is no longer phantom.

My dealer had two ZX3 option trucks built this week, so the ZX3 must be quite available. Hope the option does what we want. We tow a 5,000 lb trailer about 15,000 miles a year, and want the stability when towing. But, the test drive in a 2wd 1500 tow package with heavy duty suspension was a bit rougher when empty than necessary. Not bad, just left room for improvement.
  • Options
    wang2wang2 Member Posts: 29
    Geez, having a 4th door sounds better than winning the lottery! Guess I might as well give my 3 door away now, so I don't have to tie a dollar bill to the antenna to sell it! C'mon, 3 door, 4 door, at resale time, who's gonna care. The potential buyers will be looking at the "total package" of a truck, Ext cab Z-71's, 2500's, bigger engines, yadda yadda yadda.

Bryan
  • Options
    epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    the 4th door will be out when they can pawn off most of the 3 doors...
  • Options
    The only item I have ever seen in a magazine that mentioned the 4dr was in winter 99/00 issue of Open Road. The article is titled: Superior Experience, and was written by Rex Roy. He says "I had expected the new 4-door Extended Cab to flex more than last year's 3-door, but GMC did their homework. If there has been any reduction in structural strength, I could not tell, even while traversing frame-twisting terrain." The article identifies the vehicle tested as a new 2000 GMC Sierra Extended Cad 4-Door with the 5.3 litre V8. Just thought you'ld like to know.
  • Options
    acastlemanacastleman Member Posts: 23
    Red

You asked;"or will I have to order an LT?"

I have called most of the dealers in the Dallas and Houston, Texas area. Most don't have a 2500 Silverado. If they do, the truck is an LS short bed. If you want one, order it, and soon. If you want a four door E/C, wait.

That's my 1/2 cent worth.

Al
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    When buying used, if it's nice, someone will want it. If not, having a 4th door won't matter.
  • Options
    kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    The gm website is old, and is not updated to the current changes. Obviously if it states the 4th door was to go into production in Nov, it is outdated. Also, go to your local Chevy dealer and ask to purchase a set of fender flares in blue for an indigo blue truck; it is possible. I have had several dealers tell me this and I have seen it on the computer, even got an invoice from one of those dealers.
  • Options
    ..what was that about being right??

...flare man??

- Tim
  • Options
    russcrisprusscrisp Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking real hard at a 3/4 ton Silverado.
    Probably gonna have to order, cuz there's only
    1 around for seemingly hundreds of miles..

My question is: is the locking differential
    worthwhile if you have 4WD? If you get in a
    jam, just engage the front wheels, right?
    And save about $300?

And another related question.... Is the locking
    differential available with the 3.73 axle? The
    edmunds data shows it only with the 4.10..

Kindest regards,
    rc
  • Options
    But yes....it'a available both ways....unless I am wrong....don't think I am..

I have a 2000 2500Lt with 4:10's and NO locker..

I have caught lots of heat for this...but with Autotrac..and 600 extra pounds of weight...I see no need for it..UNLESS you do serious off roading on a regular basis...

Now when spending $30K......you could say that $285 is nothing.....true....but I decided to buy beer with it instead...and I'll doubt I will ever regret it.

Now for the other side of the opinions....

...soon to follow...(let's hear it guys)

- Tim
  • Options
    If i wanted blue flares id buy some aftermarket ones. Black will compliment a blue truck very nice. I think im gonna start talking to a wall because this is getting old.

Ryan
  • Options
    hopper1hopper1 Member Posts: 25
    Have an order# for CK1500 Excab LT,Z71,4x4,3.73, towing. Ordered it with 245x75x16 blackwalls. I didn't want to get Firestone Steeltex or Wilderness if I would have ordered 265x45x75. Got the cheepest option tires I could. I plan to replace the stock 245's with 265x75x16 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA (K0)raised white letter. Have seen TruckForce pictures on Edmunds site were someone has 285x75x16's. They look really sharp. I know going to the 265 will be no problem with calibration re: speedometer. I did that with my 96 CK1500 4x4.and never had a problem. What are the opinions regarding putting 285x75x16 tires on the truck when it came from the factory with the 245x75x16? I have had different opinions from 2 tire stores. Also even if I go with the 265 Goodrich All Terrain TA's I feel I have done the right. I could not believe that going from a blackwall to raised outlined tires when your order the CK are $113 more. 245 to 265 another $100. The tire store is going to give me $65 each for the 245's. I figure my end cost mounted and balance for the Goodrich TA's will be only $150 more in the end. The Goodrich TA's will be much better and more appealing then the Firestone Wilderness that usually come on the CK 1500.
  • Options
    hopper1hopper1 Member Posts: 25
    Sorry did not do spell check or proof on post #130, also had no heading. Hope someone can give some insight or advice re: the tire sizes and calibration on my new CK 1500 4door. Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    The 285's will fit ok..but not if you use 8 inch wheels..stay with the stock 7 inch wheels and the 285/75's should work..Some guys even put on 305/70s on their 1500s
  • Options
    abramsabrams Member Posts: 8
    i'm going to buy a truck soon. all the info on here's great. my question is... is the firm ride suspension really a lot better off-road? and, is it a lot bumpier on-road?
  • Options
    abramsabrams Member Posts: 8
    i'm going to buy a truck soon. all the info on here's great. my question is... is the firm ride suspension really a lot better off-road? and, is it a lot bumpier on-road?
  • Options
    hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I am considering removing the decals on the tailgate of my PU and am wondering how to do it safely without damaging the paint or clear coat??
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    russcrisp - look back a few pages for opinions on the locker, we just disscussed it (again). Actually that is a common subject and you can find quite a bit on it around the Pickup board.

hopper - in topic 838 some people said that 285 tires rubbed. I keep reading different stories, maybe it depends on the tire brand and rim type.
  • Options
    scoon8scoon8 Member Posts: 24
    I agree with you. I've seen those black flares on blue trucks & they are sweet ! I have pewter on pewter & wish the flares were black myself.
  • Options
    I dont know about that one. I seen a white truck with black flares yesterday and it was real ugly. Id have to see pewter with the black but i think id go with pewter flares myself. Scoon where did u see the blue trucks??? Were they at a dealership??? I have only seen the 2500 blue trucks with the black flares. Theres no good trucks around here. The dealerships around here only have the base model or no ext cab long bed 1500's.
    This is for anyone who ordered a truck: How much of a deposit did u put down when you ordered your truck. One place (not buying from) told me a sizable downpayment and another place told me $250. I told him id be willing to give $500. Just curious. Thanks

Ryan
  • Options
    Dont use a sledge hammer ,crow bar, or hammer. Just a piece of advice and no i havent ever done this i dont plan on removing decals I seen a guy that came into work with tailgate scratched up and he said he tried removing it with guess what a crowbar. If your removing the Z71 or 4x4 sticker i heard u can use a blow dryer and i think some solution (???) and itll come right off.
    BE CAREFUL

Ryan
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    I removed mine by leaving it in the sun for an hour, then I just picked a corner with my fingernail and started to pull keeping my fingers close to the paint so the sticker (Z71) would not tear........and woolah ! off in less than 10 minutes, the entire sticker in one piece! I was surprised at how easy it was....again, this was within 2 months of buying new. The older the sticker, the harder to remove. This was on my 99 Silverado, 4x4, xcab , LT. Also removed the 1500 emblems on the side, the Silverado & Chevrolet off the tailgate (use fishing line to "cut" the foam type adhesive (slide the fishing line behind the emblem and start moving the line up and down while pulling towards the opposite end of the emblem), then with the emblem gone just use your fingernails/fingers to get it off your paint. Any excess adhesive can be removed safely with "automotive adhesive remover"..follow directions. I took some pictures if you want me to e-mail them to you, or you can go to http://community-1.webtv.net/dp2000/TRUCKFORCEACTION/ and my truck is the 6th & 7th one down from the top (Blue Silverado X-cab 4x4 LT). NO SCRATCHES!!
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    If you are removing decals off a base model, or dealer stickers:

- Park with the decal in the sun and wait until the panel is hot. Alternatively, pour boiling water over the area. This will hear the metal and soften the adhesive.

- Gently pry up one corner with a finger nail and peel the sticker off.

If on the other hand, you are removing an emblem off an LS:

- Never use anything metal or glass. Use nothing harder than your fingernail or you may scratch your paint.

- If you must pry the emblem off, Heat the panel as above. Use one of your wive's plastic kitchen tools and place a towel between the tool and the panel.

- Use the fishing line method. Grab a section of fishing line and work it between the emblem and the panel; drag the line between the two until the emblem is off. Clean up the rest of the adhesive with 3M Adhesive remover. (Available at good automotive paint supply shops)

These emblems and decals are on top of the clear coat, so it is possible to remove them without damaging the paint. Remember to wax the area after removing the decals or the paint is bare. I removed the big CHEVROLET from the back of my tailgate and didn't wax it. Two days later I could read the word CHEVROLET in the dust that had built up on the minute adhesive residue left behind.

Good luck,

Mike L
  • Options
    I have to disagree on the Pewter with black flares. I did not order my '00 with flares because my sales guy didn't know they were available color matched. I am now scrambling to try and get them added to my order. Black looked like after market flares just just stuck on. To each their own I guess. Why take all the emblems off?
  • Options
    I did the weekly Monday morning call to GM to check on my order # and was again given bad news. According to the person that I talked to not a single 4 dr. has been built to date. It is apparently the fault of the 3rd party supplier of the 4th door. They have also not been given a start date for production. I got my order in the very first day that GM would accept orders. This is getting frustrating. I read an article on the new 2001 Explorer Sport Trac: GM is going to have dropped the ball on this one again. That concept is going to be a hot seller.
  • Options
    mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Thanx for the notice about the build. When you get the truck, let me know how the suspension settings differ (does the tow setting really help? I would think so with 46mm shocks).

Guess I'm going to have to start yanking my salesman's chain about my order. He was going to try and get the suspension changed from Z85 to ZX3 and get a price lock (because it is taking so long). I've already gone thru one price increase with this order.
  • Options
    hey tim u want to see a real truck look in the newest truck trend (feb 2000) pg 23 its called the gmc terradyne 6.6 L duramax diesel 4 sliding doors bigger than a crewcab same length as silverados and sierras but higher off the ground its awd or rwd. Its a concept truck (wont be built but still) and itll be at the autoshow this coming year OH YEA!!!!! it looks like it will compete with the dodge power wagon. Only thing that worries me is the 4 sliding doors how will they pull this off if they cant even make a 4 door ext cab yet??? Tim thats a truck.

Ryan
  • Options
    afs11afs11 Member Posts: 86
    Mike,

You said in your post that you ordered the Silverado (fourth door) on the first day that GM would take the order. When was that date?

GM Canada on took orders the first week of November.

Thanks,
    AFS
  • Options
    North American International auto show.....where else....but Down town Detroit.

Sliders would be so much better.

With todays wider trucks in lots....sliders would be much better than the current set up.

For all who are dying for a 4 door...but have never even experienced an ex.cab yet...
    lemme tell ya.....the extra door....wether it's the on the drivers or passengers sux in a parking lot with cars next to you.

You have to open the front....but don't hit the car next to you....open the back..but don't hit the car!....close the front...but not all the way...you have to sneak out the back somehow...and then go ahead of the front door...so the rear can be closed...then close the front....oh be carefull the front and rear don;t knock each other!

geez....I can't wait for 4 doors!

Now with enough room for both to swing open....and still have enough room between your open doors and the car next to you to squeeze through....it's great!

Ryan,

I have already seen that truck.

- Tim
  • Options
    lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    I gave up waiting for GM to deliver a 4 door. Most of my cargo is pretty clean, so I finally found a good used Suburban.

After owning it a couple weeks, I can't imagine ever buying an extended cab. Have any of you current ext. cab owners previously owned a Suburban?

Pro's over short box, ext cab:

4 doors (5 if you count the back door)
    Seats 8 (in comfort)
    Cargo stays warm in cold weather/cool in hot
    Sheets of plywood fit in the bed (seats folded)

Cons:

Will not fit tall things like fridges
    Won't haul dirty stuff (like dirt)

I could use a trailer for the last two things, however...

So, come forth, have any of you ever owned a Burb and switched to an extended cab?
  • Options
    RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Yes I had one. Rear visability was my biggest complaint. Also I don't see where to hitch up the fifth wheel. .... Rich
  • Options
    powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    GM actually has something planned to compete with the Explorer Sport Trac. It's based on the blazer/jimmy (of course). There was a picture of it on the Edmund's page under "Sema Show" but that link is no longer on the main page.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    What year Suburban did you get? I've always liked Suburbans and will probably get one someday (or maybe just a Tahoe/Yukon now that those come with 4 doors). Is it a GMC or Chevy? Is it 4wd? Is it the 1500 or the 2500? 5.7L or 7.4L? I'm asking an awful lot of questions...aren't I? Good luck with your new truck.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    Tim you seen it? In person? or a pic??? Let me know

Ryan
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Autoweek says it will be called the Avalanche.
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    now that I think of it, I think they said it was based on the new Suburban, so maybe its a different vehicle?
  • Options
    My paperwork shows that the order was placed on October 06, at 2:36:33 PM. Mine was one of eight that the dealer had been allocated for the initial order.

If you park out in the middle of nowhere you don't have to worry about hitting the car next to you. My wife wants to call a cab anytime we go somewhere so she can get from the car to the store without getting winded.
  • Options
    THE terradyne is supposed to be like the avalanch. However u spell it. Look in the truck trend magazine Feb 2000 its rough right now its a concept if this is the one your talking about

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.