Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued V

Comments

• white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I believe it was a 195 degree (whatever the parts guy specified as "stock"). I was trying to replace what I believed was a defective part, not trying to do something out-of-the-ordinary. My thermostat was definitely defective. I think it was sticking closed, then popping open, then sticking open, then popping closed, etc, etc, which made the wild swings in water temp. This in turn created "hot spots" in the heads, which in turn caused the spark knock. At least, this is my theory (?). At any rate, it works absolutely perfect now, no spark knock at all, and the milage actually increased a little (.4 to .8 mpg on average), so maybe increased efficiency a little too.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Ok all you gm insiders. You all know people who work for gm or have seen things that many havent u know who u r i dont have to mention any names. Could you please tell me if there is any plans to put a sunroof in the silverado. They are having one in the new tahoes only a $995 option. If anyone knows please let me know. Another thing those tahoes are a we bit expensive. I got the msrp and invoice off Kellybluebook.com and i figured an LS with everything that i would want (Z71, sunroof) would cost appx $38000. Thats NUTZ!!! They look real nice but who can afford that and who will buy that? Just imagine what an LT will cost.

Ryan

ps. sorry to change the subject from silverado to tahoe but they are pretty much exactly the same minus the bed.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    to investigate or retain what I like...

And it's T-tops or a Convert for me...

I have not heard about the sun roof though..

There IS supposed to be a power factory slider soon?......

But what do I know?

- Tim
  • alwysl8alwysl8 Member Posts: 59
    Talked to my dealer today and he confirmed that his computer also shows a build week of 1/10/00 for my 4-dr '00 Silverado LT He told me it could be built any day that week. He also told me it was going to be built in Fort Wayne, IN. Anybody know anything about the Fort Wayne plant? New - Old, State of the Art facility? My request for a change to get the fender flares never made it to the production line though. The dealer is going to check into doing it for me. Probably twice the cost though.
  • kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    Flares are $180 option when factory installed. They are $340 when bought through the parts department, why do they do this?
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    GM must be gearing up for a huge 4-door Silverado launch. The local ad says that all Silverado 1500s are available at special 3-year 3.9% interest financing ... except 4-door models.

That is in Southern California.

Richard
    I am from indiana uncle lives in fort wayne. I have never personally seen the plant but hes an engineer and has been to it and says its very nice and up to date. Dont worry your truck is in good hands in fort wayne it is a very nice (country kinda town) city. You shouldnt worry Always18.

Ryan
  • alwysl8alwysl8 Member Posts: 59
    Ryanbab, thanks for the info on Fort Wayne, I am hoping that they are considered a high quality plant since they are the first ones building the 4-door. Kanton, I hope to do a lot better than $340.00 on the flares. My dealer has been pretty good so far. Got to pull out the A.R.E. and Eagle catalogs again time to start really thinking about that cap and bedliner.
  • mannwimannwi Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the advise to those who helped me. I bought a set today and put them on. They fit and look like they belong on the truck. And, the color is a good match with the gray on the lower portion of the truck. I like that they come up high to within a couple inches of where the two tone changes color. Installation required a heat gun and a little plastic cutting via utility knife to get a perfect fit. I really liked no drilling into sheet metal.
    Im sure it is high quality i have heard only good things about it. Im sure the workers are real good at what they do the people there are real nice. This summer i might go take a tour of the plant. I bet that would be fun.

Ryan
  • afs11afs11 Member Posts: 86
    I was told that Ft.Wayne is the first truck plant to be re-fitted to the 4th door models.

My cousin has a '91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab, Sportside truck built in that plant. She has NEVER had any problems with that pickup, & it has 171,000 miles on it!
  • moudry1moudry1 Member Posts: 61
    I have Westin chrome step bars on my 00' 2500 LT'ext. cab. They look and work real well. I had planned on going with the stainless ones but people I talked to that had them were not real happy as they scratched easily, and didn't look good for long. The shop I bought them from recommended the chrome for the same reason.
  • northernbassernorthernbasser Member Posts: 20
    My '99 LS Ext, Z71 was built in Ft. Wayne, even though Oshawa is about a 30 minute drive from here (Toronto). I have had zero complaints since taking delivery in May.

I've only been back to the dealer ship for regular maintenance and to have a broken emergency brake cable hanger replaced. I don't suspect you'll have any problems with your truck being built in IN.
    WOW THIS IS A GOOD STATE. WE BUILD GREAT TRUCKS. Sorry i had to do that i am from indiana. See there is more than corn in indiana we build trucks. I hope mine gets built at that plant because then it will only have to travel about 45 min to the dealership shoot u think they still wold charge me the $665? I think i maybe should only have to pay $99.99. One question did everyone have to pay a document fee? I know its less then $50 usually but i am curious this salesman told me they dont have it. I wonder if hes pulling a fast pne by me. Thanks

Ryan
  • scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    A guy from Minn. claims to have a VIN for his 4th door, dealer says that means it on its way!!
  • doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    Hi all I have a 2000 GMC Sierra SLT 4dr on order
    with a TPW of 1/17/99 (Target Production Week. It
    will have the 3.73 locking rear end and be 2wd. I
    ordered the cheapest tires and rims available on a
    SLT, P255/70R16 B/W ALS(QCC) with the 16" Aluminum
    wheels (PF4). It is a sportside. Now don't hate me
    cause I will not be using it as a work truck but
    as
    an all purpose transportation /get home
    improvement stuff home etc vehicle. I sure love
    the
    higher stance of a 4x4 but just can's justify the
    cost of something I know I might never use. Now my
    questions are:

1. What are best and biggest tires I can put on
    this truck without a lift kit. I have a overall
    height limit of 77" because of the garage door. I
    would like them a little wider as I think that
    looks great on a sportside. I will be buying a
    fender flare/running board kit also.

2. I would like a decent set of chrome wheels also
    to accomodate the wider and taller tires but I'm
    overwhelmed by the choices. Cost is a very
    important consideration!

3. At what point does the computer need some
    reprogramming because of the larger tires,and will
    the dealer do it for me?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • soilworkersoilworker Member Posts: 21
    moudry1

Were you aware that Westin also makes "Platinum CPS Chrome Plated Stainless Steel Nerf Bars" that come with a lifetime warranty, including the finish? I have them on my truck and think they look great.
  • stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    00' Z-71

I hear that the trucks have a speed sensitive power steering. Has anyone been able to tell a difference at various speeds. Mine seems overly sensitive at highway speeds. This is where it should be firmer - easier for low speeds (parking etc.). Anyone have firm feeling steering at highway speeds. Drove a work truck home the other day (Ford 1/2). Steering was nice and firm (for lack of a better word) on the highway. Either the speed sensing feature is not working on my truck or the steering was made much too sensitive (easy) by design. Don't like it.
  • jhughesjhughes Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone found molded mudflaps that will fit the Silverado equipped with the factory fender flares?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    www.wheels.com/reference/assembly/html/index.htm

December listing just out for updates to all concerned regarding orders for any vehicle.

Ray T.

Merry Christmas to All!
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    1. Does anyone actually use these things or are they purely for decoration?
    2. Has anyone put on a "lid" (not a camper top/shell)? Brand?...Pictures?.....Logic to you choice was...?
    I always stepped over the bars as they are basically useless for a step.

Some newer ones now days have indents to create flat step like sections......I'd say those are much better...

So you decide...looks or usefull?

- Tim
  • northernbassernorthernbasser Member Posts: 20
    bluebeast,

I have both on my '99. My lid is from A.R.E. and my bars are chromed stainless from Technical Tubes known as Bubba Bars.

I use the bars as steps all the time now, though they were originally installed at the request (urging) of my wife. They have the flattened section with a plastic insert that Tim was referring to, so you won't end up flat on your back looking up at your truck if they're wet when you step up.

As far as the lid is concerned, A.R.E. was my choice after looking at all of the others available here (Toronto), including Leer and LoRider. The A.R.E. is designed to follow the lines of your truck, and IMHO is quite simply put together much better than the others.

Send me an e-mail, and I'll send you a picture of my truck with both in place.

Jon
  • soilworkersoilworker Member Posts: 21
    I have Westin Chrome Plated Stainless Steel nerf bars and an A.R.E. lid on my 2000 Silverado 1500 LT. I use the nerf bar step every time I get in and out of my truck. Hopefully, this will keep the wear and tear on the leather seats to a minimum.

Gary
  • kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    It looks like just about every option that is worth anything on the new trucks has a production hold of 8-14 weeks! I'm glad I got my y2k truck with every option on it when I did!! I feel bad for those of you that have trucks on order and have to wait even longer.
  • scoon8scoon8 Member Posts: 24
    I put Westin Bars on mine b/c my wife is 5'2" tall. I didn't use at first but after 15K miles, I find myself stepping each time I get on.
  • epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    INDIANA, HMMM.. DOES INDIAN 'ALWAYS' BUILD GOOD TRUCKS? TOUGH CALL BECAUSE THEY BUILT THE TUNDRA! HA HA!!! (JUST HAD TO SAY THAT HERE...) BUT THEY BUILD IT TO THEIR INFERIOR SPECS ;)
    DOESNT COUNT. not indian its INDIANA. People from indiana are ashamed that we build toyotas here we try to keep that quiet. I dont consider the toyota a real turck but i do consider it a tonka truck. Im gonna catch some heat but i dont care. Truck of the yr that pisses me off. I better quit before i go off like john rocker haha.

Ryan
  • volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    I wouldn’t be too concerned about Motor Trends Truck of the Year. The editors of Motor Trend pick from trucks that are “new or significantly changed” for the model year they are considering. Since the Tundra was the only new or significantly changed truck I can think of for 2000, it seems their choice was a no-brainer.
    The toyota was new for 1999 it remained unchanged in 2000. I dont know its stupid i doubt i will buy another motor trend magazine and ill probably cancel my truck trend magazine in protest.
    I have a set of Boards...kinda half running board..and half nerf bar type...

anyway.......

I don't need them to get in....but find myself hopping in on the edge of the leather seat and sliding over....as mentioned..not good for the seat.

Soooo...

I have to re-learn my mind...(kinda like a chimp?)...to use the step...and put left foot up first to get in without doing a tap dance on the boards..(you either know what I'm talking about or you don't)

I suppose it's better than hopping in for an old dude like me...well...not super old...but some days it sure feels like it!

Happy Holidays to all!

(Even Toyota and Dodge Owners)

- Tim
  • volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    If you will remember - the Tundra was released in 1999 as a 2000 model.
    Yea but how come it was in the motor trend magazine compared with all 3 of the 1999 trucks??? Its all BS like awards shows all FIXED i hate watching like the music awards the people who deserve to win never do. And the funny this is i seriously i swear to god have only seen 1 yes 1 tundra out on the road. Whats with this every other truck i see is a new silverado nowadays. (i see many fords and dodges too) Maybe its the area and the tundras arent popular but still u usually see some. Maybe they are to small and expensive?????????? Please no one get me started on the tundras again and i know the first thing that will be said is that i never even been in one well thats wrong i have been and have drove one.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Hey Ryanbab:

I went to one of the dealers last week to get a copy of one of the repair attempts on my truck last June. The Service Director became interested in "giving it another shot" to repair. I never mentioned anything about it, just asked for a copy of the repair ticket. They must have some flag on my truck that everyone can see now!

Anyway, he seems to think that it is fuel pressure related and is going to do a "pressure test" next week. Have you ever heard of that? How do they do it? The fuel pump is in the gas tanks, isn't it?

I'll let you know how it turns out. What happened to unixgod? Wasn't he the one that had a similar problem? I know he wasn't real popular but I would like to find out if he got his truck fixed or not.
    I know someone out there has a pewter truck with the pewter flares. Does anyone have a pic??? Id like to see what it looks like. Thanks alot

Ryan
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Have the Back Country sidesteps on mine. Use them all the time.

I found a limitation to the Autotrack this week. I was driving in the snow, and it is possible for the front wheels to loose traction in a turn, but the rear wheels aren't slipping, so you end up going straight. So for driving in snow (accumulated, I mean), 4HI seemed to be better.
    Here are my dancing steps:
    First left foot on the step, then left hand grasp the steering wheel. While holding on, bring the right foot UP but don't step - SWING between left leg and the leather seat: change direction in the MID-AIR to fall between the steering wheel & the seat. Simultaneously now: swing the Gluteus to plant it dead center on the Seat. As the gluteus is falling, grasp the steering wheel with right hand and control the descent for a minimal impact. Finally bring the left leg in & close the door.

Now Start the engine :-)
    I guess I'm the first to post on the X-mas.

Merry X-mas Everyone !!
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, but with four wheel drive you must maintain speed in a turn. If you let up on the accellerator that acts like a brake on the front wheels and the front wheels will slide. It was very hard for me years ago to do this, I had to mentally force myself because all my years of driving a rear wheel drive vehicle said let up. But you want the front wheels to pull you around the corner. ... Rich
  • rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    Amen to driving in snow explanation with 4 wd. I have lived in Idaho for a long, long time, and we have that white stuff to drive in all winter. Ice, snow, slush, you name it, we have it. Hard to accelerate in a turn when sliding, but that is the way to do it. Pull thru, not push as with rear wheel drive rigs.

Happy Holidays to all.....
  • tidefreaktidefreak Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody explain this to me? I've had an agreement with my salesman on a 2000 Z-71 for about a month and a half. Truck is not even ordered yet until they get an "allocation" for it. Small dealership. At first he told me early Feb. at latest. Don't think that's going to happen. Saw last night on here about a lead time of 8-14 weeks for this truck. Anybody have an idea about this or an idea of when this truck could be built? Thanks
  • afs11afs11 Member Posts: 86
    Hi Tony,

I ordered a '00 Silverado LT X/C (4dr) 4WD on 11/05/99. It was accepted on 11/08/99.

After speaking to the powers that be at General Motors, my order is only at step 5 of 13. The 13th step is the shipment to your dealership. Sorry, but I forget the order of steps.

I have to wait until my dealership receives an allocation for it. Since I went with a smaller local dealership over the big city dealer that I was going with, I'm in the same boat as you!

My truck has been ordered, but the problem is the allocation with the dealership. Does you dealer have a order number for you? I do, but with no allocation my order is on hold!

I was told by GM that I could be waiting up to late March or early April!

Good Luck,
    AFS
  • yankeebobyankeebob Member Posts: 1
    I have also ordered a 2000 Chevy Truck(LS,Z-71,5.3,fourth door). The way allocation was explained to me is that each dealership is allocated so many trucks to be built for them at a time. The allocation priority depends on the size of the dealership and if they are a big seller of trucks. I am not sure how true this is, but it does make sense that Chevrolet would have to prioritize when the dealers get their orders filled. I have been told 8-12 weeks on mine. I ordered it last week, so I have a while to wait.
  • osteoste Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 chev silverado LS 4x4. I was wondering if there is a way to get the driver side one touch down power window system to also be a one touch up? At times, it's distracting to have to physically hold the button down. Is it also possible to program the remote keyless entry to also raise all the windows when locking the doors? That would be nice on those hot summer days when you have the windows down a bit, and it starts to rain, no more running to the truck to raise the windows...
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    with driving in 4x4, just noticed the limitation in the autotrak. But I appreciate the advice, as this is my first 4x4. It is a HUGE difference driving this in the snow compared to my old 2wd S-10!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is not possible. Don't think anyone would do it due to liability. Imagine leaning out of the window looking back to reverse truck and accidentally pressing one touch up button...
  • y2k4aly2k4al Member Posts: 11
    Does any one know how the A.R.E.LSII lid should seal on a 00 Silverado? Is it against the lid rail or the truck rail? Also how do you tell the difference between a old body style and new body style lid. Mind doesn't seem to seal and I thought they may be trying to slip me the old style lid.

Thanks for your help.
    AL
  • wtkingwtking Member Posts: 43
    I was at a couple of dealerships on 12/24/99, inquiring about ordering a 2500 4wd Ext. Cab Siverado. Both dealers said they would be more than willing to take my order, and add it to the 10 or 12 3/4 ton customer orders they are waiting to place. Seems these dealers order once a week, and there is no aloocation for 3/4 tons, and no real reason why? I've heard the 5% build for 3/4 tons, but in my mind build what people want. I live in Flint, Michigan, and every dealer has at least 30+ 1500's on the lot, and maybe 1 or 2 2500's. Yet two of the many dealer's in this area have 24 people/buyers for 3/4 ton's and no product. I don't understand the logic. Can anybody shed some light on why GM operates like this. Tim?
  • chevygirl1chevygirl1 Member Posts: 1
    wtking~

Unfortunately it's a matter of part availability. =( GM cant get the parts from their suppliers to the quantity that they need to build more. They know that the demand is out there..but are a bit limited in what they can do.
  • jpmcjpmc Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering how the power steering system is working on the 2000-3/4 trucks. I have a 97-Sil.3/4 ton 4/4 with the sensor system, I am hoping they have a better system now. I am told the new trucks have a different system. Those of you driving new trucks might post your thoughts on the steering. (Good or Bad)Thanks
This discussion has been closed.