Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued V

Comments

• Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    storch -
    no, i got an LS. when i talked to a local dealer, the trucks we were looking (LS's) at had the head unit with the tape deck, and the cd player down in the middle of the center console. i asked him (expecting the worst) if by any chance chevy (read: ac delco) made a head unit with the cd player in it, as opposed to the tape deck. he said, "yes, but we don't have a remotely located tape deck." duh...no kidding, i don't want the tape deck. (and i think the cd player way down there just looks dumb - personal opinion). then he comes back with, "oh, and you also save $150-$200 too!" well no kidding, eh? and, as i read earlier, if you get the cd player with the head unit and no tape deck, the spot where the cd player WOULD be is an additional storage cubby. NOTE: there is no DOOR covering this area, so we're still stuck with only 14 doors.
    by my count the doors go like this:
    4 - regular doors to the cab
    1 - hood
    1 - tail gate
    1 - fuel door
    3 - overhead console
    1 - sunglasses
    1 - garage door opener
    1 - misc storage
    1 - ashtray
    1 - glove box
    1 - center console (armrest) storage area
    1 - power port (cig lighter) cover

alrighty then, that should cover it. happy holidays everyone...

kyle
  • Options
    roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    This talk of deleting the tape deck and just getting the CD head unit interests me. Who needs a tape deck these days? Shoot, in a few years who knows what new media we will be buying to play our music, so why get one now that is already obsolete? That opening might be a good spot for a DVD player, or whatever all the electronics/music people force us to buy to replace our CD's? Actually, does anyone know if you can also delete the front section of the center console, (the part that the CD player normally resides in)? That is my biggest hang up with going for an LT or LS with buckets. That little extra console is right where my leg wants to rest on long trips, and it makes me feel cramped? Haven't had a long enough look at how they are attached to see if you could just remove it yourself, and don't know what kind of hole that would leave in the lower section of the dash? I like the bigger overhead console, and the center console directly between the seats. And I would love to have all the LT extras, but I just hate that forward center console. I actually have considered buying an LS with buckets, and manual 4x4, so the lever would delete that part of the console. Of course I like the idea of autotrack though, even though I did have a buddy whose Ford push button 4x4 left him stuck because the switch went out. Hope Chevy uses beeter electrical switches! Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for your thoughts, and everyone have a great Holiday Season!
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I have a 4.8L 5 spd truck. I love the manual transmission, and wouldn't trade it straight across for a 5.3L Automatic. And I certainly wouldn't pay the $1700 it costs to get the 5.3L/Automatic. I like to shift for myself, and haven't found a circumstance when it was awkward.

I've also heard the 5 spd had some reliablility problems. But those were always behind the 5.7L engines, and the 5.7 has too much torque for this transmission. The 4.8L has plenty of power, but does not overload the trans. Honestly, this transmission shifts like a truck transmission, not like a car. Not a problem, I'm driving a truck not a car.

I'm happy with the power of the 4.8L, even when loaded to 64-6500lbs. I get 15.5-16mpg loaded and over 20 empty.

21,500 trouble-free miles.

If you like to shift for yourself, get the 4.8L 5 spd, you won't be disappointed. It doesn't matter if nobody else likes your choice, as long as you are happy with it.

Mike L
  • Options
    bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    1999 Silverado Loaded LS, Ext Cab 4X4
    5.3l
    Autotrac
    4:10 w/Locker

1. Excessive engine ping since brand new, even afer all computer updates, etc. Dealer will not do anything further. Pings on even 92 octane gas
    2. ac/heater blower motor went out at 1,200 miles
    Dealer replaced blower motor
    3. Windshield popping since new - had to have windshield resealed
    4. Rear diff clunks going into gear from park since new. New transfer case fluid helped, but did not fix.
    5. passenger seat and rear extended cab seat rattles since new. No fix available.
    6. extended cab pop out windows vibrate and rattle. Dealer replaced once, no fix. Jimmied the latches, noise much better, but still there.
    7. Radio preset buttons and also on the ac/heater unit, the aluminated panel lights went out at 11k miles. Still not fixed. Dealer has to order new Stereo unit and blow control panel!
    8. Steering pops and rattles, especially at low speeds and when braking. Louder when also turning left.
    9. Idle quality is very poor. Dealer claims they all are! Nice fix GM.

By far this is the biggest piece of [non-permissible content removed] I have ever owned. I have always been a believer of buying American made trucks, but the Tundra sure is sounding good to me right now. Even in its first model year, it has had way less problems and way less severe problems.

I won't buy another GM till they get their head out of their [non-permissible content removed]!
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    To let u know i have heard that clunk noise when you put it in reverse is normal. We had that problem on our 2000 blazer took it in and they said its supposed to do that and i dont exactly remember why. I havent even noticed it lately. I feel for u about all those problems seriously but to me (maybe its me) but most of those seem very minor. At least your truck runs ( i know what your gonna say i paid $30000 and it should be perfect). What does a little noise do. I dont think i would let a little seat rattle bug me to much. I dont know what to tell you maybe you should get a lawyer and try to get a new truck.

Unix: Its derivative and that didnt hurt me the integrals got me i hate those damn things!!!
  • Options
    jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    I bought an LT a couple of months ago and it came with the cassette in the radio (head unit) and a remote CD player. I like haing a cassette, because most of the books-on-tape still come on cassettes. Even if you can order a new book-on-tape on a CD, the local library is much likelier to have it on tape, and it will be free.

The advantage of having a remote CD instead of a remote cassette is that the remote single CD player might be replaced with an aftermarket CD changer. Or an audio DVD player. Or a CD player that can play MP3 files. Etc. In any case, as long as it talks back the to head unit properly it should work fine.

I've noticed that my head unit has 3 separate CD position controls. I'm not driving my truck today so I can't tell you what buttons they are assigned to. FF and REW change the position within the same track. Seek back and seek forward change the current track. There is also a Prev and a Next button - any idea what these do? Could they be used fora remote CD changer to switch between CDs?
  • Options
    I think those buttons PREV and NEXT are for if you get the 6 disc changer installed by the dealer. Any idea how much the 6 disc or 10 disc changer is that the dealer adds? I might get one thrown in for free hopefully. Just curious.
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Just face it Bud, you're in that 1% percentile that got stuck with a lemon. Its going to happen. Even if you go with a Toy, that chance will still be there. Don't kid yourself that the lemon chance will be lower with an Import. Most of them are made domestically these days anyway.

To tell you the truth, after looking over your complaint list again, I think you are being way too picky about most of them. I think LEMON is a little too overboard for your situation. I've experienced about half of the same issues you mention, but I still think its the best truck I've ever owned (and I've owned many different makes).

It almost sounds like you are a first time Chevy buyer, and looking for excuses to get rid of it.
  • Options
    I agree that "most" of these problems are minor and have either been fixed or minimized, but NEVER is engine ping a minor problem. This thing pings on any grade of gas, whether under a load or not. Even with the cold weather below 40 degrees, it still pings. That is not minor and not at all tolerable. Engine detonation causes a LOT of excess wear on the engine internals, i.e. valves, pistons, rods, rod bearings, cylinder walls, etc.

Leaving this ping as "normal" as GM puts it will have me replacing an engine at about $4k with labor, probably by 100k miles. Thats BS!

I read a post by someone else here with a valvetrain type noise and GM is buying back their truck. I want to know how to get that done. I may buy another Chevy. I am far from a first time Chevy truck owner, but I am not at all impressed with these new model GM trucks and so far the GM dealership service departments have been lazy [non-permissible content removed] union punks who don't give a rip about customer service. YES, I am pissed off! This is too much money for this many problems!
  • Options
    I Agree with your complaint about the service depts. We had our blazer in for alignment 4 times within 2 months after it was delivered. They said and i quote "the wind and road curvature is the reason for the pull to the right." Thats BS the sales manager even said it wasnt right. The last time they worked on it it fixed it a little better. havent taken it back there. Oh another thing is check on your vehicle when you take it in we took our blazer in at 7am (damn it was early) first one there and we called at 4:30 to see if it was ready and they said the guy is just now looking at it. What can they fix in 30 min? Oh wait i mean about 15 since they have to clean up and get ready tp leave. Thats ridiculus. I give you that.
    Can u go more in depth about the engine ping? I dont know what it is. Please explain a little more on this. I said most of the things were minor i meant noises not the engine thats a very big deal. I know i owuld be very pissed off if i got a truck that was bad. You have every right to be pissed. Have you taken your truck to any other dealers to be worked on? You should try that because if you keep taking it back to the same place they figure oh hes just being picky who cares u know. Good luck to you Bud.

Ryan
  • Options
    storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    I am very reluctant to believe that you will ever be able to replace your secondary CD player with anything else. You can't add an aftermarket CD changer because your head unit isn't compatible with them (unless you get an RF one, but then you have secondary controls for them). All the other things mentioned wouldn't be compatible with your existing head unit either. Just my opinion.

Prev and Next can also be used to change tracks on the current CD. (at least in identical Delco units that I have used in other GM vehicles).

Kevin
  • Options
    pyrodexpyrodex Member Posts: 47
    www.motortrend.com

If they were smart last year, they are smart this year.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    The previous and next buttons change the CD tracks and I believe also are like a blank skip for the cassette...(that's where you hit it 2 times next...and it advances 2 songs forward)

If you get an LT that has the cassette and CD....you will not be able to add a CD changer without losing the CD single or Cassette.

The head unit only has 2 inputs...

So lose the cassette I guess?

There are also RF type changers that go thru the radio frequency....I had one for several years...they work good....but you lose some high end tone....Radio does not have the freq. ratio of a CD.

Some people may not even notice...

Good Luck

- Tim
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I have taken my truck to 3 different dealers in my area. 1 is really reputable and I think would like to help me but they can't get GM to fund the "exploratory surgery". They have a lot of suspicions, but no diagnosis confirmed.

The engine noise sounds very similar to an exhaust manifold leak. It happens between 1500-2000 rpm and more loudly when under a load. It has quietened down a lot since the cool weather, but a more quiet problem noise is still a problem noise. It doesn't sound as much like a knock as it does a flutter, or exhaust leak. At steady cruising speeds like on the highway, it sounds almost like a vacuum leak or like a constant scraping of cardboard on a smooth surface. Every now and again, it sounds like a static electricity bolt, like a spark detonation.

Last attempt to fix, the dealer "decarbed" the engine. Seemed to help some, but did not resolve. It may be coincidence that the weather got real cool about that time too, so the decarb may not have done anything at all.

GM has blown me off completely and they say it is "normal engine noise" by design. I find that hard to believe as not everyone has complained of this and I have driven used trucks with more miles as well as brand new trucks, both just like mine, that did not make the noise.

It is in the shop as we speak for the steering column noise, again. Would be a little happier if they could ever get my trucks problems down to just one or two. I really think I got a bad one this time. I am so desparate to be rid of the problems with this thing I have considered a Dodge, in spite of their known transmission problems!

If you have any ideas, I would be glad to listen.
  • Options
    I have driven 3 silverados all Ext cab Z71 one LT and 2 LS no engine noise whatsoever. It was so quiet it was amazing. Only noise i heard was when my dad took off from a stop sign and lit up the wheels. So i think an engine noise isnt normal. Hope something gets worked out for and you find a good doctor that will try some worthwhile surgery

Ryan
  • Options
    volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    I found out what the quality problem was with the truck I ordered. According to Chevrolet the government arbitrarily selects vehicles on which to perform smog checks and mine was one of those. Evidently Chevrolet has to pull those selected trucks aside and run all the tests with government inspectors on hand.
    The salesman called me, said the truck had passed all the tests and was being shipped today.
    I told the salesman I would decide whether to take the truck after I had inspected it.
    Has anybody heard of this smog check thing happening? I’m a little suspicious, since they didn’t bother to tell me this until after I had cancelled the order.
  • Options
    The ZX3 is no more a phantom option. WOW your probably the first person in the united states to have a silverado with that option. Now all we have to wait for is a 4th door truck to be spotted

Ryan
  • Options
    dberrydberry Member Posts: 22
    The 2001 name plate serves a number of purposes

1) Marketing cost savings - why make commercials a model that will be that would change over to the next year in 6 or 7 months. Why not for 1 1/2 years?

2) Parts costs - Why make parts for a model that would only be 6 or 7 months.

3) New model introduction - It takes about 3 - 6 months for a new model to gain acceptance from introduction. The extra time can be added into sales for that model year.

4) New model is ready early. GOOD NEWS!

5) Old model is selling poorly, Why make more of that model if they are just going to sit on the lots.

6) Quality, Production start-up, R & D problems make a reasonable product possible at the regular interval impossible.

7) Odd time release of new models have less immediate competition, therfore, can have the spotlight all to themselves.
  • Options
    epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    http://www.gm.com/mo_pr/mo_pr_dt.htm?id=1034

This sounds neat! Anyone see it? thx
  • Options
    Itll cost ya some bucks let me tell you that.

Ryan
  • Options
    scoon8scoon8 Member Posts: 24
    Years back, when I was buying a minivan for my wife, I placed an order to build one with specific options. Time came for the delivery & I get a phone call from the dealer saying the van came in. But, he began to describe a totally different van than what I ordered - I cancelled the order. Week or so later, I go to the dealer to service another vehicle & what do I see ? My EXACT minivan !!

I find out from a VP of the dealership that the salesperson was trying to sell it to another customer for more $$ than what was promised to me.

I just find "quality problems" & randomly picked "smog test" to be something totally different !! I wonder what's really gone on with your truck......
  • Options
    alwysl8alwysl8 Member Posts: 59
    Does anyone know if the 4-door Silverado will be made in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada?
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    You go out of your way to eliminate the cassette deck and I installed an entire second stereo just to get a cassette player! Why? To listen to books on tape. I have an LS with the in-dash CD player and no bucket seats so this was the only way to get cassette too. I wish GM had just left it the way it was in the last version and put both in the dash.

For your console dilemma, I say buy the LT you really want and just pull out the center console. It's a stuck-on afterthought anyway so can't be very hard to remove. You will likely need to buy the fold-out drink holder to fill the dash gap. Once you get over the outrageous price they'll charge you for it, you'll love your truck.

Anyone out there have the remote cassette player they want to get rid of?
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Owners manual says light ping is normal, and that is what you describe. If you want to really do something about it, un-authorized, you can modify your thermostat to open 10-12 degrees F sooner, and go to a colder spark plug heat range. Also check that the foam padding underneath your intake manifold, (where the 2 spark knock sensors are located) is positioned properly to shield extraneous noise.

There is a fix for #8.
    Intermediate shaft- part no. 26083324

Sounds like you have lousy dealers in your area. Burt Chevrolet in Denver is very attentive to my concerns. A good dealer makes all the difference.
  • Options
    esvardesvard Member Posts: 3
    I have this same engine noise. I have taken my truck to a total of three dealerships for a total of eleven visits. I still have the same noise. They have updated the computer software (which did reduce the ping noise you hear every once and a while), replaced the exhaust donuts between the manifold and cats, and replaced the driver's side manifold. But I still have the same Engine Noise (which does sound like a cross between exhaust leak and spark knock).

I do realize that is a minor problem considering all the other problems out there. But I paid a lot of money for my truck and I get very irritated by this noise. I don't think it asking to much for GM to figure out how to fix this.

I have tried many things to get rid of this noise, including trying different brands/grades of gasoline. The only thing that gets 80 - 90 % rid of the noise is to remove the driver's side manifold shield (which is apparently amplifying the noise).

I like my truck very much, and it is far better than the competition, but if you have this noise you will do anything to get rid of it. I have driven other trucks just like mine that do not have the noise, so I know it is not designed that way.

If anyone has any further info on this please let me know. (By the way I know there is a topic on this subject, but it has been stagnant for a while).
  • Options
    just got a call from my dealer (greg stancill in louisville, ky, will deliver anywhere in the continental usa for $500 over invoice, give him a call and tell him i sent you) yesterday. i ordered a '00 LS, Z71, 4 dr Ext Cab, blah blah blah, on 24 november, got an order number the 29th of nov, and got a build date of 10 jan yesterday. same story basically, target production week of 10 jan, 3-5 weeks after for delivery. hopefully gm has its act together and there won't be any more delays, and i'll see my truck in the first week of feb. can't wait...good luck to everyone and have some happy and safe holidays!

kyle
  • Options
    stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    00' Z-71 - have the above mentioned engine noise. Will admit it's faint but have been wondering if anyone else has heard it. Does sound like a slight exhaust leak on driver's side. Was going to look under dash to see if some insulation or a plug was missing in the firewall but haven't gotten around to it. Mine could be normal exhaust sound coming through the firewall. Might try the manifold shield idea to see if it makes a difference. Mine doesn't sound like engine ping. Nothing major (hopefully) but just wondering if this sound can be lessened. Let us know if you find anything.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Here in New York you can apply Lemon Law if vehicle has been brought back to dealership for same problem more than 3 times & if it directly relates to drivability/performance problem within 18 months or 18,000 miles.
    I applied this law to my 86 1/2 ton pick up that I bought brand new. It had a pinging problem, jerky shift from 1st to 2nd (auto trans) & rear wheel shimmy that the dealership just could not fix.
    Went to arbitration hearing with all my records I kept related to these service calls (I went back 8 times for same problems before applying law)Talk about intimidating, there I was with arbitrator, dealerships service Mgr. & their Lawyer. I stated my case showed all records & we then went for a test drive to duplicate problems, Trans shift problem almost never happened until last stop light prior to returning to hearing room, when it did though i felt relieved, the service mgr. said "they all do that"luckily the arbitrator did'nt buy it & I won my case. GM bought back vehicle for full price less $500 due to the fact I had over 18,000 miles on vehicle by the time settlement happened.
    There are lemons out there & it sucks if you happen to be on the recieving end of owning one, hang in there and stick to your guns if your right. But document everything.!
    Hope this helps.

Ray T.

PS Just ordered my 2k 2500 2wd LS Ext cab 12/17 after being jerked around by another dealer for 4 months. He lost the sale needless to say. Expected delivery 2nd week of February.
  • Options
    mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Thanx for the update. I found out from GM that I couldn't change my order (or cancel it for that matter), so I ordered another truck, with the ZX3. The dealer says that he won't have a problem selling my 1st order. It will be interesting to see which one gets built 1st.
  • Options
    dan33dan33 Member Posts: 13
    Chevy says my 4 door has been built and is at emissions/testing and should be shipped any day. Said it was built in Ft. Wayne IN. Keeping my fingers crossed. I had a TPW of 12/13/99.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I had a problem with my '96 Chevy C1500 with 5.7 that might help with yours. The temp gauge would show a wide range during operation (20-30 degrees of swing while driving down the road). I complained to the service advisor and he said (of course) this is normal. I also noticed on many occasions a severe spark knock. I finally replaced the thermostat myself and all of these problems disappeared. Total cost: $2.19. I don't know if this could be the same thing, since the engines are totally different, but what the heck.
  • Options
    KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    Do you recall what temp theromstat you used? My 95 GMC (5.7 but no Vortec) temp gauge goes up to about 230 when starting up from overnite and then it cools down to around 200.

If you remember what you put in that would be great...thanks
  • Options
    kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    For those of you who have used the Hypertech 160 degree powerstat, how does your heater work now that it is winter. Just wondering if I will lose most of my heater if I use this stat. Thanks.
    Kyle
  • Options
    Thanks. I do not want to get rid of this truck, but just really fed up with it being in the shop constantly and GM blowing me off about it, especially the ping problem. They swear that ping is normal.

Quadrunner500: I realize the owners manual states that some ping is normal, but GM is the only one that makes that claim and I think it is to cover their tail ends. NO OTHER MANUFACTURER makes such a claim and everyone knows that ANY PING is NOT NORMAL! I know you are trying to help and I really do appreciate it, but I know that ping is not normal on engines that are designed correctly. Sounds to me like in order to get that great gas mileage that the GM pull out of their [non-permissible content removed], they had to run these engines at the extreme limits and some of them like mine are running way too lean!

Will running a colder plug really help the problem? I am not too sold on the idea. To me, that just gives GM a cop out to fix the problem they should be dealing with anyway.

Kanton, Quad:

My truck has a Hypertech 180 degree thermostat.
    I have had no problems with the heater (about the only thing that hasn't gone out so far) in the cold. Just takes a little longer to warm up, but only a fraction of time longer.

Thanks for everyones feedback. I am either going to get to the bottom of this problem or blow this thing up one. I will let everyone know which as it happens!
  • Options
    ksr318iksr318i Member Posts: 13
    I have secured a great deal on a fully loaded Silverado LT 2500 4 x 4 extended cab. Tell me how is the reliability, durability and longevity of the 6.0 liter engine.

Can I get a full- floating Corp. 14 in the 2500? Is this axle available with the 4.10 ratio? How reliable is the semi-floating 14 on the trucks with 3.73 ratios.

What are the gear ratios with the automatic transmission?

I am new to this format and have little experience in GM products. I have owned Dodge for the past 10 years and enjoy them but looking for something a little more refinement

Where are the great web sites out there on the Silverado 2500?

Feel free to email me of line on this, I have a thousand questions.

thanks, Michael
  • Options
    tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Does anyone have thoughts on the new emission standards announced today will effect a 2000 Silverado. Basically, the standards will be the same for light trucks, SUVs, and cars. Apprectiate your thoughts and comments.
  • Options
    You mentioned something about "foam" and to make sure it was positioned correctly. What are you talking about? Where are the knock sensors located? I took a peek under the hood, but could not see anything that resembled what you mentioned.

Thanks.
  • Options
    mannwimannwi Member Posts: 29
    Two Things.

First I noticed on my one day old truck that the fender lips already have holes that could be used for flare or flap installation. Those fender lips are so clean and nice that I think I may put something on to protect the paint. The Silverado brochure includes some "molded splash guards"......anyone have any experience with those.....how they look and how they install?
    About $340 for flares seems kind of expensive, but they would look good on a pewter over gray truck if they were gray.....anyone get them already painted?

Secondly,,,, I always back off the wheel nuts and retorque to factory spec, as it keeps wheels and rotors a lot straighter. The owner's book says to use 140 ft.lbs., but that is a lot for alloy wheels. Most of the nuts were at about 90 ft.lbs., except for the wheel lock nuts (think the dealer put those on), which varied from about 90 to about 150. Glad I checked, especially with the right rear having one at 150 and the others at 90.
    I asked at the 800 customer service number to check to clarify if they really mean 140 as a spec. She called back and said yes, and I said that they better tell the factories then. I just set all mine at 130, but intend to explore this more.
  • Options
    $340 flares??? They only cost $180 for all 4. I believe those chevy splash guards work well ive seen many trucks with them but i dont in particular like them. Im sure the work but i dont know if you can get them with flares

Ryan
  • Options
    m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    I was in the same predicament about 5-speed and 5.3L. I wanted both, but i did not like the auto with the 5.3L. I opted for the 2500 and the HD 5-speed. It cost a little more, plus I had to drive 5 hours away to get it because NOONE around Nashville had a 5-speed 2500. You could go with the 4.8L and a 5-speed, but I personally could not (did not) want to go from a 5.7L to a 4.8L. Someone did post earlier that the HD 5-speed changed gears slowly because of the synchros, well, I have the same problem. They dont grind, but it does get a little annoying. I have an appointment next week to get it looked at, I mean fixed. By the way, no offense to anyone with a 4.8L. I believe it has the same or close HP to the 5.7L vortec.
  • Options
    jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    Regarding mudflaps-at least that is what I call them.

I purchased front and rear flaps for less than $30 a pair. Installation was relatively easy once I understood the instructions.

Note be careful not to break the plastic plugs holding the fender liners in as my dealer did not have any in stock and I would up using some self tapping metal screws in their place.

I am quite happy with them.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I have not heard a car ping in years. A long time ago there were bullitens from the majors (not just GM) stating that slight ping is ok, and it means you are running at max efficiency. I never bought it, but never had the ping anyway.

I have heard cars that have what sounds like ping, but is actually something resonating in the exhaust pipes that is traces to the valve train. While I am not saying that this may be the case for the "mystery ping" mentioned here, but I do have a hard time believing that a modern computer-controlled engine could have a ping in the first place, but if it did, why isn't the computer setting any trouble codes?

Have you driven others to see if they sound the same?

As for trucks and SUVs meeting pollution levels of cars ... what took so long? Trucks use essentially the same engines with the same horsepower getting the same mileage, but they never met the smog levels? Give me a break.

Richard
  • Options
    soilworkersoilworker Member Posts: 21
    mannwi

I installed the Chevrolet molded splash guards on my truck and really like them. I paid $25 a pair plus tax for them. (Another dealer wanted $35 a pair.)

The GM wheel flares are a $180 factory installed option, for all four fenders, on the 1500 model and are standard on the 2500 model. It is my understanding that the GM molded splash guards will not work with the GM wheel flares.

The splash guards are installed using existing holes. No drilling is required. However, you will need a #40 torx socket or screwdriver to remove one screw at the bottom of each fender.

I do have a WARNING about these splash guards. To make the installation of my nerf bars easier, I temporarily removed the front ones. I discovered that even though they were tight, they were wearing the paint off. Before reinstalling them I gave the area a good coat of wax and then covered the area with a couple of layers of Scotch clear automotive tape. I applied the tape in the exact shape of the splash guard, and it does not show at all. Hopefully, this will help protect the paint.

Gary
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Some of your questions have been discussed in past posts. If you have time take a look at the archived Silverado topics.

The 6.0 is too new to have any longevity record but almost everyone has positive things to say about it. The most common negatives are rough idle and mediocre mileage. It's a smooth and strong motor once off idle though.
  • Options
    afs11afs11 Member Posts: 86
    Thank you for you update on the moulded splash guards. I have a '00 Silverado on order. The guards are going to be the first thing that I will install. I'm going to install the fiberglass running boards also. I have looked at the guards, & think that they will fit well.

Have you installed other GM options?
    Thank you,
    AFS
  • Options
    i'm looking at getting nerf bars for my '00 LS Z71 when it comes in. you mentioned that you had installed yours. any drilling required? or do you just need to line them up and bolt them on? right now, i'm shopping for some stainless or chrome tubular design with flattened, rubberized step areas. any recommendations? thanks
    kyle
  • Options
    alwysl8alwysl8 Member Posts: 59
    I decided to call GM since everyone else is getting a build date and was also told 01/10/00 for my 00 4-dr LT. I sure hope it actually gets built on the 11th or 12th, as the 10th is a Monday. Have not heard from my dealer yet with the build date. I think I will call and tell him when my truck is supposed to be built.
  • Options
    scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    a target week, not a specific day.(i think!)
  • Options
    soilworkersoilworker Member Posts: 21
    I have not installed any other GM options.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I've posted this before...but don't know where.

I have the 2500 LT with the 6.0 and it's great.

For 3 years I yaked and had beer with one guy who tested the 6.0. He has seen many engines come and go. the 6.0 was one hell of a torture taker.

basically this guys job is to beat the hell out of engines.
    They would freeze it for a week.....start it up...run wide open throttle for hours and hours...shut it down and freeze it.
    Some tests were the opposite...with heat.

I remember one test was to run WOT...and pour sand down the intake until it seized up.

he says some engines come and go...and we never see them again.

Every engine they get...ends up be seized. But the one they saw come back most for tests was the 6.0.

He told me if he can only tell me one thing about the new Chevy Trucks....it would be get a 6.0!

So I did.

Good Luck

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.