Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I'm really looking forward to getting my bike out of hibernation. Six to eight weeks and I should be riding! Still seems like a loooooong time away.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @mjfloyd1, sorry to hear your news. Thank goodness you requested the PSA, and chances are it was picked up very early. The robotic procedure has great efficacy, much less blood loss and quicker recovery. Moreover it’s binocular, 3D vision for the surgeon allows nerve sparing leading to less of the other associated issues. Wishing you a quick and full recovery. As others said, we’re here to support you.
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Jfloid 1   Sending  prairs. Your way!  Agreed. With. All above we are all here  for you.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    xwesx said:

I'm really looking forward to getting my bike out of hibernation. Six to eight weeks and I should be riding! Still seems like a loooooong time away.

We went out 2 weekends ago when the weather was more mild. I rode my wife's bike because I don't have one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    @mjfloyd1 sorry to hear. I hope you are able to make a speedy recovery!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I assume it is way overpriced (for the low miles?), and would want to ditch the aftermarket wheels, but I kinda like this one.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2007-ford-mustang-certified_mustang_gt_cs_california_special-used-1zvht85h475353052.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    so, who feels really, really brave? Hey, a Porsche for less than $5k! What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/used-cars.aspx

• Options
    edited March 2019
    stickguy said:

I assume it is way overpriced (for the low miles?), and would want to ditch the aftermarket wheels, but I kinda like this one.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2007-ford-mustang-certified_mustang_gt_cs_california_special-used-1zvht85h475353052.html

You know I bought my 2011 Mustang GT Premium coupe for about $20k, with 28k miles, almost two years ago, and sold it with 31k miles almost a year ago, for the same price? And mine had the 5.0 and a six speed automatic (or otherwise would've had a six speed manual). Needless to say, I can't see paying the same amount for a four+ year older car with a smaller engine, one fewer gear, and what look like ugly aftermarket wheels, even if it's a ragtop.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    stickguy said:

so, who feels really, really brave? Hey, a Porsche for less than $5k! What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/used-cars.aspx

Wow, 177k on that Porsche. You’d have to be a mechanic.

This would be a better 5k buy. https://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/detail-2000-buick-lesabre-custom-used-18618806.html

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Too scary with those many miles. Hell, not sure I'd even buy a CPO unit with over 50K to be honest. I know it's not logical or financially prudent but, I'd rather get a brand new vehicle and just keep it for 6 or 7 years and then trade it. Just prefer going new though I've done used twice, the first was a disaster with the second being somewhat o k as it was a rental in it's former life. My folks would never think to get a used vehicle yet for their kids, they were cool about it. But heck, they had oodles of disposable income so it wasn't a problem. When I buy a different vehicle, I think about it for awhile...it's usually not an impulse buy though sometimes, it should be. I know selling the Tucson after 357 days was definitely an impulse buy, totally illogical and financially dumb, but I did it anyways and never looked back.
    Now, I'd love to get something new or a toy to play with but ain't gonna happen as there's nothing out there I just have to have, NOW! The Golf was such a vehicle for me. After the first drive, I knew I'd buy one...eventually. It's kind of fun to talk about it and deciding on a short list, but to actually do it, takes research and time.
    Saw a new 2019 Acura ILX yesterday in a charcoal metallic and it looked great. Am starting to like the new model to be honest but would need the one with Sirius/XM on it, the old Tech Package would work. Also passed a charcoal Hyundai Kona and liked having the hatch. I use a hatch every so often, bought a book storage unit on Wednesday on OfferUp and once I put the back seats down, it fit the piece of furniture easily. Needed it for some closet storage so I can fold my short sleeve shirts to free up hanging space and it fits my shoes nicely also. Just having the ability to throw it in the car and take it home without asking my buddy with the Silverado was priceless to me. Nice to have the ability to do this on such short notice as it was just perfect for our needs the minute I saw it. And it was a moving sale so I had 1 more day to pick it up or forfeit the sale.
    The Kona is a similar size so that would work. VW keeps sending me letters about trading in for a new 2019 unit but all they have right now is a black over black SE which is just the wrong color. And getting another Golf is something I'm just not sure about. The Encore is a screaming value right now with all the rebates and something I wouldn't mind owning. Ditto the Cruze hatch, I like the pumpkin color for some crazy reason!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

Once again, Consumer Reports Top Ten Most Reliable Cars and Top Ten Least Reliable Cars:

Anything that really surprises you?

MOST RELIABLE

10. Mazda CX-5

9. Lexus NX

8. Honda Fit

7. Kia Sedona

6. Mazda6

5. Toyota Prius

4. Subaru Crosstrek

3. Toyota Prius Prime

2. Lincoln Continental

1. Toyota Prius C

LEAST RELIABLE:

10. Volkswagen Atlas

9. Cadillac CTS

8. Alfa Romeo Giulia

7. Kia Cadenza

6. Cadillac Escalade

5. Cadillac CT6

4. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD

3. Tesla Model X

2. Buick Enclave

1. Jaguar F-Pace

A list like that makes little sense to me when one vehicle makes it but its largely identical sibling does not. (eg, Giulia/Stelvio, Cadenza/Azera, Silverado/Sierra, etc)
    @kyfdx gave a great answer. These are real world factual unbiased results. If you don't have the samples, you don't have the results.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I want to give the ILX a look.  I know it’s a fancy Civic but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  

I am generally opposed to an SUV for me but the Kona is kind of cool and has a nice powertrain

My evil plan may be to get a smaller SUV for $300 or so a month and hope the wife falls in love with it... then in 2020 when the Enclave goes back get a really nice sedan with the bigger car payment budget.  

• Options
    Late to the Green party, but here it goes (not political):

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

• Options
    The red calipers would have to go ...

• Options
    I sat in a new ILX this week when I was waiting on the RDX service. with the tech package, it is actually quite nice. The base just skimps on too many features. Plenty of power too, and nice seats. for the right price, it's a nice little car. Tidy size too. Just don't expect Lexus driving dynamics!

• Options
    Same room inside as the Elantra? 

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    qbrozen said:

So I am shopping for a new set of wheels. But this time only 2 wheels and propelled by my own 2 legs. Man, these things have come a long way since I picked out my red BMX at Toys R Us in the early 80s. Yet I have no desire to spend more than $150. Looks like I’ll be risking a walmart bike.

Anyway, on the car front, I sprung the $27 for the bimmercode app. So far, I have turned off the annoying fake engine sound in my car and set my wife’s car to start up in Eco mode. I’ll be playing around more with mine when I get the chance. It reads and codes the car very slowly, so I have to have a good 15 mins to spare, and who has that?

No don't buy a Walmart bike. You'll kill yourself. Get a good used bike instead. Sometimes local charities fix them up and sell them, and you can get a good deal at that price point.
  • Options
    I think the ILX is a little roomier than your Elantra. At least in the front seat area. Plus a lot more comfortable, and much quicker. Just don't get a base car.

• Options
    The top Q5 looks like my parents’. I didn’t know you could get an SQ5 in that color, though, and I also thought they had different wheels than the one on the bottom.
  • Options
    the brighter green Q5 looks like one a person in my neighborhood has. Not a S though. Shockingly bright green.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    tjc78 said:
    The red calipers would have to go ...
    I’d throw the baby out with the bathwater
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    corvette said:
    The top Q5 looks like my parents’. I didn’t know you could get an SQ5 in that color, though, and I also thought they had different wheels than the one on the bottom.
    Those are the upgrade wheel for the SQ5.  The standard ones look better, IMO.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Nice Q5ss  posted above
  • Options
    stickguy said:

the brighter green Q5 looks like one a person in my neighborhood has. Not a S though. Shockingly bright green.

I think the two andres3 posted are the same color in different lighting.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    My son went with me to dick’s today after we saw the 2nd lego movie. I saw this bike and said “damn that is cool.” My son also liked it and insisted I get it and NOT go to walmart for any reason. After much internal debate, I decided to buy it. Certainly not the full suspension mountain bike I was after. Now I can pretend to be an old man on the boardwalk.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguy said:
    I think the ILX is a little roomier than your Elantra. At least in the front seat area. Plus a lot more comfortable, and much quicker. Just don't get a base car.
    Ok, yeah much quicker ... I’m tired of putt putt mobile! 

• Options
    QB nice on the new. Bike 
  • Options
    qbrozen said:
    My son went with me to dick’s today after we saw the 2nd lego movie. I saw this bike and said “damn that is cool.” My son also liked it and insisted I get it and NOT go to walmart for any reason. After much internal debate, I decided to buy it. Certainly not the full suspension mountain bike I was after. Now I can pretend to be an old man on the boardwalk.

Looks perfect for an early morning boardwalk ride 

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    @qbrozen Good job! I predict $50 per ride, before it gets put away. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I had a couple chances today to goose the TLX (one time merging onto highway next to an old lady that had no intention of speeding up, so choice was A) blow past her or B) lay on the brakes and tuck in behind. I picked A). That car has a surprising amount of scoot, especially when the revs are up. Nice growl, just took off and quickly up to speed. Impressive.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    I almost bought this bike to go with my Raleigh Grand Prix:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    well, that is certainly interesting looking.

• Options
    Prefer the Q3 as it's just the perfect size for me. I pass the nearby Audi store whenever I go to and from work and they always have an Q3 on one of those drive up ramps, calling my name! Nice that both the Audi and VW stores are so close to our development. There's also the Mazda, Chevy, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Volvo, BMW and M B stores also very close. All on or near State Road 7, 441, for those folks who know this area. Mike knows it well as he tried that M B store the last couple of times. But yes, I do like the Q3 and might be worth checking out a demo in the future.
    Also saw a few more ILX's on the road and starting to like it to. Got over getting the 2018 model as might as well get brand new if I decide to go Acura. Seems like the few folks who bought TLX's seem to absolutely love them. Word of mouth can be a very powerful tool. The few Acura store's just are not close but can deal with that if necessary. Especially if I'm retired at the future time, no clock to punch so going there wouldn't be an issue.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    2:34 am and am up again. Got into bed around 10 and tossed and turned until about 10 minutes ago so decided to get a small piece of dutch apple pie with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and then go back to bed. Tasted delicious but not ready to sleep yet, so here I am.
    Turns out the kid is driving down on Thursday at this point, throw out Plan A and substitute Plan B. Kinda makes sense and will be cheaper than the train so guess she wants her new car here even though told her she could use mine when I'm not at work or even use the Audi if need be. But thinking the 3 day trip has morphed into at least a week trip now, being a remote worker, she can be virtually anywhere there's a wifi connection. And since her fiance ain't moving up there until the 26th of this month, might as well spend some of the time down here. We both have that app now where we get an email 6 days a week around 8:50 or so telling us what pieces of mail we'll be getting in our mailbox that day. It's handy to have.
    Since the new Cruze will be here, will finally get a chance to drive it. Since it's new, wanted to wait till she's comfortable enough with us driving it. By Thursday afternoon, it'll be time enough where she can open the windows after the tint was done. The guy said 48 hours to keep them shut but we decided on a week time frame just because. It sits in her garage all day every week day until she gets off at 5 or so, so it's now had plenty of time to cure.
    I know she's excited for him to move up finally as being alone is nice for maybe a week or two, but after that, can get a bit lonely. His job also is one where he works remotely from home so they're a perfect fit. She'll have the dedicated office and he'll take one of the back bedrooms and things should work out fine. He's already told her that he won't park his Camaro in the garage which is fine with her. But, it could fit if need be. It's configured differently than ours with only a sink tucked away in front on the right side where he'd park. It was a screw up on their part as it was supposed to be in the laundry/mud room area but someone goofed. They were ready to fix it but she decided to let it stay where it was as there would've been a lot of work needed to be done to correct it. Instead, they agreed to install the 5 fans I bought as a gift and the Ring door bell her sister got her for free and gave her a gift certificate to the Disney parks as her way was so much easier for everyone. Just made sense and she got her electrical stuff done on their dime. I must say, the fans she choose at Home Depot are very very nice and was happy to do it. All in, spent a good chunk of change while I was there but she was so appreciative of it all and is a wonderful child that I didn't care. Kind of what my in-laws did for us back in the day. History just repeating itself!

• Options
    So, looking like 2020 will be a wedding of some sort. They plan to fit the bill for most of it, or so they say right now. Will sit back for now and just listen and then I'll talk with her about what I was planning to do concerning it all. At this juncture, since there's so much going on, best to say nothing/do nothing until more plans are laid out for us. It'll be around the time I retire, so best not to commit to anything right now. Again, am flexible about my retirement time frame right now. My wife and pain doctor are both on the same page about retirement actually. Need to figure out what I plan to do those hours I used to work? Have no real hobby like playing golf or bridge, my only real passion is cars which is why I'm at Hertz in the first place. So, could just cut my hours a bit in the beginning and see how that works. Since we want to "see the USA" after we're both done working, need to wait till she's ready also. By going down to 2 days/week and so on, would have more time off but still be making a small paycheck and driving. So we'll just have to play it all by ear and go from there. Hoping also that we'll both stay healthy so we can do the traveling we want. And then, do we downsize and move to Central Florida or keep the present abode, something I'm highly against. Would rather move near her so she can get the mail/watch the house/pay the bills kind of scenario. Won't need to go to the bank much as everything will be direct deposited and all we'll need is wifi to do the banking and have ATM's near to withdraw some cash as needed.
    All very doable but just easier if we live somewhat close to her since it's not fair to intrude too much on their lives. Again, we'll work things out way in advance but it's all going to be very doable with cooperation! And will be exciting also to finally do the things we're talking about now!

• Options
    Bank? What’s that? I think I go maybe twice a year.

RE: TLX A friend of mine at work has a new black on black V6, loves it.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

We both have that app now where we get an email 6 days a week around 8:50 or so telling us what pieces of mail we'll be getting in our mailbox that day. It's handy to have.

Say what??? Did someone write an app that can see the future???

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options

Again, am flexible about my retirement time frame right now. My wife and pain doctor are both on the same page about retirement actually. Need to figure out what I plan to do those hours I used to work? Have no real hobby like playing golf or bridge, my only real passion is cars which is why I'm at Hertz in the first place. So, could just cut my hours a bit in the beginning and see how that works.

I'm in the same boat, or somewhere nearby. I was retired for a few years, and went back to work, and I am happier working than not working. I'm the type of person who needs feedback, other people seeing what I do and appreciating it. When I was retired before, I did volunteer work, mostly at an animal shelter which was very good for the soul.

But I am not in any way outstanding when it comes to working with animals, rather average really. And I am gifted at working with computers, and my ego really likes it when people say things like, "How did you do that? I didn't think that was possible."

So I'm still at it, although the 40 hour grind is getting old. I'm thinking of trying to negotiate a shorter work week when my contract comes up for renewal. And I will admit that I like having the extra cash, allows me to remain a member of CCBA!
  • Options
    On a topic more related to CCBA: I just received, in the mail yesterday, a Private Cash Offer from Ford. $2,500 towards a new F150 or F250, 2018 or 2019, valid until 4/1/2019.

I really wish they had sent me this BEFORE I purchased my present F150, about 8 months ago.
  • Options
    why do you think you got it now?

• Options
    And on the subject of green vehicles, yesterday afternoon, out and about I spotted a lime green Infiniti FX35. My eyes and mind registered it, at first, as a Kia Soul, because that is the only car I ever remember seeing in that particular color. But something wasn’t right, I did a double take, and sure as heck it was an FX35.
  • Options
    My brother-in-law just bought a 2019 Edge. Titanium trim. FWD, 4 cylinder.
    Almost no options, but wow, does it have a lot of stuff standard.

He borrowed $10K on it, to qualify for a bigger rebate.

$40,040 MSRP
    $32500 selling price, after discounts and rebates. (plus tax, etc).

That's a lot of car for $32,500.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    they are really nice. And move along just fine with the 2.0T motor.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    breld said:

I don't really care for the factory wheels on the Q5, nor the upgrade wheels on the SQ5. Don't recall being offended by the standard wheels on the SQ5, though.

Also, the standard Q5 is spec'd at 5.9 seconds 0-60. The SQ5's 5.1 second 0-60 time seems like a fairly mild upgrade.
  • Options
    henryn said:

We both have that app now where we get an email 6 days a week around 8:50 or so telling us what pieces of mail we'll be getting in our mailbox that day. It's handy to have.

Say what??? Did someone write an app that can see the future???

USPS Informed Delivery. I get the emails; didn't know there was an app.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

$40,040 MSRP

The Titanium trim on Ford's CUVs is top-tier and doesn't have a lot of options available, if memory serves.
  • Options
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

$40,040 MSRP

The Titanium trim on Ford's CUVs is top-tier and doesn't have a lot of options available, if memory serves.
    $495 package that included 19" wheels and cold weather package.

I was comparing it to my wife's X3 which is pretty loaded.
    But, a lot of her stuff was optional, including the safety nannies

Edge missing in comparison:
    Moonroof
    AWD
    Rear heated seats (not offered, I don't think)
    And, you can get a bigger engine, just like in her BMW.
    But, that's it, I think. Impressive amount of equipment, and attractive. His is dark gray with black leather.

This was his first new car... ever. (68 yrs old) His current ride was the Camry he bought new for his wife in 1994. 275K miles. He said the transmission was starting to slip. :p They gave him $500 for it, which I told him was a gift. Of course, his wife has had five new cars since 1994.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    corvette said:
    I don't really care for the factory wheels on the Q5, nor the upgrade wheels on the SQ5. Don't recall being offended by the standard wheels on the SQ5, though. Also, the standard Q5 is spec'd at 5.9 seconds 0-60. The SQ5's 5.1 second 0-60 time seems like a fairly mild upgrade.
    Agreed - when my wife was considering the Q5, I told her I’d find some SQ5 wheels or knockoffs for her.  

All their vehicles with the 2.0T (save maybe for the Q7) are plenty quick.  I’m thoroughly impressed with her A5 when I drive it.  The V6 in the SQ5 (and S4 and S5) certainly has a different character though.  Plus the seats, steering wheel and other trim upgrades are nice.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Attention: Lease Hackers

BMW has raised the 2018 X1 residuals to match the rest of the SUV fleet, for March.
    So, if you are looking to do an X1 service loaner lease, now might be the time, if there are any left.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator